SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: A Few Thoughts On Love and Kindness | 02-16-2013
Sunny
Sunny

April 20
1874 - First train out of L.A. to reach new town of San Fernando; Newhall 2 years later [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

JenniferFischerI have been sharing with you an “ABC Adventure” of the Santa Clarita Valley, sharing about: Animals, Bicycle Trails, Central Park, Drums, Education, and Family Dinner in the Santa Clarita Valley.

This week, however, I am taking a quick break from the series to share a few thoughts about love and kindness. It only seemed appropriate on this Valentine weekend.

At the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed several shoppers buying bouquets, cards, chocolates and such for their loved ones. I was buying key ingredients for the Valentine dinner I would be preparing – lamb sausages in honor of the favorite dish in Egypt that my husband and I often ate when we were both studying abroad there and met for the first time 13 years ago. Mostly, people seemed happy as they focused their efforts on showing their loved ones how much they mean to them.

I am sure, though, there several of us that also felt a little stress this past Thursday, I know I certainly did – not from the pressure of the dinner I wanted to make for my husband, but rather the cookies I needed to make for my son to take to his play group, and now I think how silly that I would let something like getting cookies made first thing in the morning for a 10 a.m. play group cause me stress resulting in not demonstrating or acting with love toward my family. How silly, indeed.

And how silly it is every day when we let stress infringe on our ability to treat others with love and kindness. Even strangers deserve to be treated with kindness, and I have a theory that if we all treated everyone we met with a little more kindness, we would probably feel less stressed in general, and the result would be more happiness and love in the world. A pretty good result, I think.

I have seen it work, too. At the holidays, I created a Random Acts of Kindness Adventure for my 3-year-old and watched him bring smiles to many faces – at the mini mart as he delivered a thank-you note to the cashier, at the coffee shop as he handed out candy canes to strangers and wished them Happy Holidays.

It doesn’t even need to be that particular – a smile, a few nice words, remembering our “pleases” and “thank you’s” as we go about our day, and not being so much in a rush that we cannot respond nicely and appropriately when someone engages us in conversation. These things matter.

A fellow blogger I know does an annual 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge each year, beginning on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and running through Valentine’s Day. My hunch is that focusing on 100 acts of kindness in one month at the beginning of the year starts the year off right, sets the tone and can turn acts of kindness into habits. If there is any new habit that would be a good one for us all to pick up, showing excessive kindness is a pretty good one.

fischer021513So today, this weekend and every day, I challenge myself – and you – to commit at least three or even five acts of kindness. Who knows? You might decide to bump it up to 10 soon, and before you know it, you might find yourself seeing acts of kindness everywhere.

I know when I first began the 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge of Toddler Approved, the result I least expected was the way it shifted my world view. I started noticing small acts of kindness all around me.

At a time when recent events like the massacre at Sandy Hook can provide a grim outlook, opening my eyes and seeing the kindness of others and focusing my own efforts on fostering more love and kindness in the world feels pretty good.

Please stop in at The Good Long Road Facebook page and tell me what Acts of Kindness you have witnessed or committed lately. I would love to know.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: INFO (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 12:01 am
This year there will be approximately 3,000 events nationwide. You can be a part of this terrific community event. It’s a great way to give back. It’s a great way to earn your school community service hours, too.
Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 12:01 am
Have you ever read a restaurant guide before picking a place for a special dinner? Or a consumer-advice magazine before buying a new car? Wouldn’t it be great if there was a similar guide for looking up the quality of care at hospitals in your area? Well, there is. It’s called Hospital Compare and you can find it on the Medicare website, at www.medicare.gov.
Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 12:01 am
This is a time of year when many focus on rebirth. For me, I’m feeling a reawakening of sorts and am eager to jump into life with added enthusiasm and joy.
Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am
Some of the perks you'll receive include a photo and fact sheet about your adopted animal, a certificate of appreciation and recognition galore. And, of course, you can visit your adopted animal any time you wish.
Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 12:01 am
I was watching an episode of the TV series “NCIS” recently, and once again they were able to prove the California live oak tree can grow near Washington, D.C., and that there are mountains near Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia.
Monday, Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Why did he stop paying grazing fees to the tune of $1 million-plus that more than 1,600 other ranchers pay? Is he special? Did his family get special dispensation from Thomas Jefferson or George Washington?

An altercation between a signature-gatherer and a customer occurred Saturday at a Walmart in Canyon Country, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station officials.
Petitioner Arrested Outside Walmart
National Trails Day in SCV | Commentary by Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel
Choosing a Hospital That’s Best for You | Commentary by David Sayen
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station detectives are investigating a Newhall stabbing that took place around 12:50 a.m. Saturday outside the VU Bar and Lounge, officials said.
Stabbing at Newhall Bar Sends Two to Hospital
1880 - Pico Oil Spring Mine Section 2 patented by R.F. Baker and Edward F. Beale [story]
Springtime Bucket List
A Santa Clarita tax advisor is adding his name to the list of candidates running for the 25th Congressional District seat. That story plus more tonight on SCV NewsBreak
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, April 18, 2014
The students at North Park Elementary School, Pre-K through Grade 6, have been studying the art work of glass blower Dale Chihuly. The students created art pieces that mimicked Chihuly's famous displays at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and chandeliers. Students learned about the history of glass blowing and about Chihuly's background while creating their own work of art.
North Park Students Create Tribute to Chihuly
Winners of the 2014 “cArt aRt” competition were announced by city of Santa Clarita officials on Friday. Santa Clarita residents transformed recycling bins into works of art and displayed them alongside the environmental services booth at the city’s annual Earth Arbor Day Festival on April 12 to be judged by a panel of three city staff members and festival attendees.
Winners Announced for ‘cArt aRt’ Competition
The West Ranch softball team needed a come-from-behind victory over Canyon to win its second Foothill League game of the season.
West Ranch Turns it Around, Beats Canyon
A segment of San Fernando Boulevard under Interstate-5 is scheduled to close permanently in mid-May, California Department of Transportation officials announced Friday.
Portion of San Fernando Blvd Closing Permanently
Sixth grade students from two Newhall District schools had the opportunity to perform in front of professional hip hop artists on Friday, as part of the Universoul Hip Hop program that brings dance education into elementary schools.
Newhall District Students Bust a Move for Education
Two more western actors, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson, were added to Newhall’s Walk of Western Stars Thursday night, as part of the “Rockin’ Rodeo”-themed SENSES block party on Main Street.
McQueen, Bronson Get Their Day in Newhall
Learn the basics of building a planter, fire pit, BBQ enclosure, and low retaining wall by enrolling in the Masonry Basics course at Golden Oak Adult School.
Golden Oak Adult School Offers Masonry Certificate Course
1945 - Actors Harry & Olive Carey sell Saugus ranch after 29 years; now Tesoro del Valle [story]
In order to address reports of suicide among college students across the nation, the College of the Canyons Student Health and Wellness Center is hosting a Suicide Prevention and Awareness Event on the Valencia campus.
COC Hosting Suicide Prevention Event
The Valencia baseball team pulled off the comeback of the season against West Ranch and won its fourth Foothill League game in a row.
Valencia Takes Four Games in a Row
Just in time for the Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival, Old Town Newhall will host a “Rockin’ Rodeo”-themedSENSES block party, from 7 to 10 p.m. on Thursday.
Thursday’s SENSES Event Gets Cowboy Festival Weekend Started
The Metro Executive Committee decided Thursday to delay approval of a billboard deal Santa ClaritaCity Council members OKed last month, officials said.
County Delays Vote On Metro Billboard Deal
A month after the soft opening on March 10, city, county and state leaders gathered at the Board of Equalization Santa Clarita District Office for a grand opening.
Officials Cut Ribbon on New SCV Tax Office
A 24-­year-­old Palmdale man was sentenced to 70 years to life in prison this week by a San Fernando judge for robbing a Newhall bank in Santa Clarita more than a year ago.
Newhall Bank Robber Sentenced to 70 Years