SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: A Few Thoughts On Love and Kindness | 02-16-2013
Clear
Clear

September 23
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

JenniferFischerI have been sharing with you an “ABC Adventure” of the Santa Clarita Valley, sharing about: Animals, Bicycle Trails, Central Park, Drums, Education, and Family Dinner in the Santa Clarita Valley.

This week, however, I am taking a quick break from the series to share a few thoughts about love and kindness. It only seemed appropriate on this Valentine weekend.

At the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed several shoppers buying bouquets, cards, chocolates and such for their loved ones. I was buying key ingredients for the Valentine dinner I would be preparing – lamb sausages in honor of the favorite dish in Egypt that my husband and I often ate when we were both studying abroad there and met for the first time 13 years ago. Mostly, people seemed happy as they focused their efforts on showing their loved ones how much they mean to them.

I am sure, though, there several of us that also felt a little stress this past Thursday, I know I certainly did – not from the pressure of the dinner I wanted to make for my husband, but rather the cookies I needed to make for my son to take to his play group, and now I think how silly that I would let something like getting cookies made first thing in the morning for a 10 a.m. play group cause me stress resulting in not demonstrating or acting with love toward my family. How silly, indeed.

And how silly it is every day when we let stress infringe on our ability to treat others with love and kindness. Even strangers deserve to be treated with kindness, and I have a theory that if we all treated everyone we met with a little more kindness, we would probably feel less stressed in general, and the result would be more happiness and love in the world. A pretty good result, I think.

I have seen it work, too. At the holidays, I created a Random Acts of Kindness Adventure for my 3-year-old and watched him bring smiles to many faces – at the mini mart as he delivered a thank-you note to the cashier, at the coffee shop as he handed out candy canes to strangers and wished them Happy Holidays.

It doesn’t even need to be that particular – a smile, a few nice words, remembering our “pleases” and “thank you’s” as we go about our day, and not being so much in a rush that we cannot respond nicely and appropriately when someone engages us in conversation. These things matter.

A fellow blogger I know does an annual 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge each year, beginning on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and running through Valentine’s Day. My hunch is that focusing on 100 acts of kindness in one month at the beginning of the year starts the year off right, sets the tone and can turn acts of kindness into habits. If there is any new habit that would be a good one for us all to pick up, showing excessive kindness is a pretty good one.

fischer021513So today, this weekend and every day, I challenge myself – and you – to commit at least three or even five acts of kindness. Who knows? You might decide to bump it up to 10 soon, and before you know it, you might find yourself seeing acts of kindness everywhere.

I know when I first began the 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge of Toddler Approved, the result I least expected was the way it shifted my world view. I started noticing small acts of kindness all around me.

At a time when recent events like the massacre at Sandy Hook can provide a grim outlook, opening my eyes and seeing the kindness of others and focusing my own efforts on fostering more love and kindness in the world feels pretty good.

Please stop in at The Good Long Road Facebook page and tell me what Acts of Kindness you have witnessed or committed lately. I would love to know.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

Comments are closed.

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: INFO (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 12:01 am
For the thousands of you who drive over the Newhall Pass every day on I-5, this is some of the most scenic mountains and woodlands in all of the SCV. It would be a disaster if some developer came in and leveled the hills, filled the canyons and built homes and condos.
Monday, Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm
Members of the military know how to follow orders. They have been trained that they are part of a bigger picture. They have been trained not to question, just “do.” But the integrity bell starts to go off in their heads when someone who has never even played a game of Battleship starts to dictate war games and strategy.
Monday, Sep 22, 2014 12:01 am
We want a dump that does its job without trying to look like it's giving something away. Nothing is free. All of those handouts get paid for by increased fees to dump the trash. Do you think they do it because they “love the community?” No. They do it to buy support now and later for future projects.
Sunday, Sep 21, 2014 4:39 am
What if Castaic had the dump to be expanded and Val Verde didn’t? What if Castaic didn’t want the dump to expand and Val Verde just wanted the mitigation fee money?
Sunday, Sep 21, 2014 12:01 am
If you’ve never had a migraine, you have no idea what your migraine enduring friends are going through. Migraines have driven people to suicide because they just couldn’t take the pain any longer. This article, I hope, will enlighten those who don’t have migraines and give additional options to those who do.
Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 12:01 am
In all the many times I’ve written about the dump in the last couple of months, I kept thinking all the folks involved had at least a little bit of honor and ethics left. I’ve found out I was wrong on that, too.

Sunny With a Chance of Joy | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: Santa Clarita officials are eyeing two purchases this week, one for open space, and another for a permanent Canyon County Community Center.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, September 22, 2014
Princess Cruises will ring in the new year and its 50th anniversarywith its first-ever float in the 2015 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade. The six original cast members of "The Love Boat" television show will ride on the ship’s bow and “cruise” down the 5-1/2 mile parade route.
Another Debut for Princess Cruises: 2015 Rose Parade
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed Senate Bill 1263 last week, ending, at least for now, Santa Clarita Valley school officials’ legislative attempts to stop charter schools from locating outside of the district that charters them.
Brown Vetoes Charter School Bill, Assembles Team to Curb Abuses
This week's events and activities from the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce.
SCV Chamber This Week (9-22-2014)
The USC Alumni Chapter of the SCV invites members of the Trojan Family, friends, and community members to join them for a golf event at the Tournament Players Club in Valencia on Oct. 27.
Oct. 27: USC Alumni Benefit Golf Tourney at TPC
Is the Dam Breaking? | Commentary by Joe Messina
The Santa Clarita City Council will consider buying 114 acres of the proposed Lyons Canyon Ranch housing development property - which won't be built - for preservation as permanent open space.
City Might Buy Never-Built Lyons Canyon Ranch Land
Santa Clarita's water purveyors are building a new treatment facility to deal with perchlorate contamination in the local groundwater supply.
New Treatment System to Rid Chemical from Groundwater
More than 120 Home Depot employees, as well as military veterans and community members, have helped Santa Clarita Valley veterans' houses get a little closer to the home stretch.
The Home Depot Helps Build Veteran Housing in Saugus
Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Saturday by Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, that helps ensure victims of theft, fraud and abuse can collect financial restitution from offenders released into community supervision programs under the state’s realignment law.
Closing a Realignment Loophole, New Law Helps Victims Collect Restitution
It Isn’t the Money
1969 - College of the Canyons opens with first class of students in temporary quarters at Hart High School [story]
Circle of Hope officials partnered the Moms Club and Eleven 12 Events to present their 4th Annual Bunco For Hope event in Valencia Sunday. Participants were served lunch followed by Bunco games with dessert, silent auction and raffle winners announcement to conclude the day.
Circle Of Hope Hosts Bunco For Hope For Cancer Treatment
About 1,600 Santa Clarita Valley residents attended the 20th annual River Rally and Environmental Expo event at the Santa Clara Riverbed on Saturday. Participants spent the morning cleaning up the riverbed just off Wiley Canyon Road near the Via Princessa Bridge in Newhall and browsing more than a dozen exhibitor booths at the expo.
20th Annual River Rally Draws About 1,600
Representatives from Kenneally Acupuncture in Canyon Country held their 9th annual Fall Seasonal & Festival on Sunday. More than 100 people attended the all day event, beginning at 9 a.m. and continued through 6 p.m.
Kenneally Acupuncture In Canyon Country Hosts Fall Seasonal, Festival
Mendacity
Know Your Headache
1974 - COC's new Cougar Stadium opens for first game of football season; Harbor beats COC, 26-21 [story]
In an effort to “break their silence” and find healing, domestic violence survivors came together on Saturday to decorate t-shirts that reflect their personal experiences. Officials from the Domestic Violence Center of the Santa Clarita Valley hosted the event, which is known as the Clothesline Project, at Savia in Newhall.
SCV Domestic Violence Center Hosts Clothesline Project
The SCV Boys & Girls Club and city of Santa Clarita officials hosted their annual Day For Kids at Newhall Park on Saturday. A variety of free games, activities, entertainment and prizes were available for Santa Clarita Valley children throughout the day, including a raffle, performance stage and more.
City, Boys & Girls Club Hold Day for Kids
A Valencia man was arrested on a robbery charge after residents of the Valencia Summit subdivision reported seeing a man running naked in the streets.
Valencia Man, Naked But for Towel, Arrested on Robbery Charge