SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: A Few Thoughts On Love and Kindness | 02-16-2013
Clear
Clear

October 2
1945 - Cattle-rustling "Phantom of Vasquez Rocks" captured [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

JenniferFischerI have been sharing with you an “ABC Adventure” of the Santa Clarita Valley, sharing about: Animals, Bicycle Trails, Central Park, Drums, Education, and Family Dinner in the Santa Clarita Valley.

This week, however, I am taking a quick break from the series to share a few thoughts about love and kindness. It only seemed appropriate on this Valentine weekend.

At the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed several shoppers buying bouquets, cards, chocolates and such for their loved ones. I was buying key ingredients for the Valentine dinner I would be preparing – lamb sausages in honor of the favorite dish in Egypt that my husband and I often ate when we were both studying abroad there and met for the first time 13 years ago. Mostly, people seemed happy as they focused their efforts on showing their loved ones how much they mean to them.

I am sure, though, there several of us that also felt a little stress this past Thursday, I know I certainly did – not from the pressure of the dinner I wanted to make for my husband, but rather the cookies I needed to make for my son to take to his play group, and now I think how silly that I would let something like getting cookies made first thing in the morning for a 10 a.m. play group cause me stress resulting in not demonstrating or acting with love toward my family. How silly, indeed.

And how silly it is every day when we let stress infringe on our ability to treat others with love and kindness. Even strangers deserve to be treated with kindness, and I have a theory that if we all treated everyone we met with a little more kindness, we would probably feel less stressed in general, and the result would be more happiness and love in the world. A pretty good result, I think.

I have seen it work, too. At the holidays, I created a Random Acts of Kindness Adventure for my 3-year-old and watched him bring smiles to many faces – at the mini mart as he delivered a thank-you note to the cashier, at the coffee shop as he handed out candy canes to strangers and wished them Happy Holidays.

It doesn’t even need to be that particular – a smile, a few nice words, remembering our “pleases” and “thank you’s” as we go about our day, and not being so much in a rush that we cannot respond nicely and appropriately when someone engages us in conversation. These things matter.

A fellow blogger I know does an annual 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge each year, beginning on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and running through Valentine’s Day. My hunch is that focusing on 100 acts of kindness in one month at the beginning of the year starts the year off right, sets the tone and can turn acts of kindness into habits. If there is any new habit that would be a good one for us all to pick up, showing excessive kindness is a pretty good one.

fischer021513So today, this weekend and every day, I challenge myself – and you – to commit at least three or even five acts of kindness. Who knows? You might decide to bump it up to 10 soon, and before you know it, you might find yourself seeing acts of kindness everywhere.

I know when I first began the 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge of Toddler Approved, the result I least expected was the way it shifted my world view. I started noticing small acts of kindness all around me.

At a time when recent events like the massacre at Sandy Hook can provide a grim outlook, opening my eyes and seeing the kindness of others and focusing my own efforts on fostering more love and kindness in the world feels pretty good.

Please stop in at The Good Long Road Facebook page and tell me what Acts of Kindness you have witnessed or committed lately. I would love to know.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

Comments are closed.

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: INFO (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Oct 2, 2014 12:01 am
“Walking meditation” with Deb Clem is a new and welcomed program at Placerita, but there was an ocean of incomprehension when it was first introduced.
Thursday, Oct 2, 2014 12:01 am
For those of you who haven’t heard - or heard about - the Santa Clarita Master Chorale, I’ll just say you’re in for some great musical experiences when you hear how and what we sing.
Thursday, Oct 2, 2014 12:01 am
Our annual budget goals focus on on improving aging infrastructure, increasing our operating reserves, and taking a futuristic approach to planning.
Wednesday, Oct 1, 2014 1:42 am
Turns out, the endangered Delta smelt isn't to blame for our water shortage this year. Instead it's the smelt's much bigger brother, the salmon.
Wednesday, Oct 1, 2014 12:01 am
Funding top-notch law enforcement service, investing in our infrastructure, protecting our beautiful open spaces, adding state-of-the-art amenities such as parks, bike paths, community centers, libraries, transit and trails all contribute to this wonderful place we love to call home.
Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 12:01 am
Can you imagine being on the long flight from Chicago to Burbank, and as you are preparing to land, you get word you’d be landing in a pasture near a dry wash between Saugus and Newhall? That’s about how the landing field looked. Gravel and grass for a runway. A few lights for early and late landings.

1945 - Cattle-rustling "Phantom of Vasquez Rocks" captured [story]
Walking Meditation | Commentary by Evelyne Vandersande
Singing for Supper | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
Message from the City Manager | Ken Striplin
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: CBS has been ordered to pay more than $10 million in the wrongful death of a Reseda man who was killed while working on a popular television series produced in Santa Clarita.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, October 1, 2014
Deputies Sean Robert Caples and Patrick James Ince have been selected to receive Valor Awards on Thursday for their acts of heroism.
SCV Deputies Caples, Ince to be Awarded for Heroism
31st Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Circle of Hope.
Oct. 20: Circle of Hope Golf Tournament
The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society, is presenting its 21st Annual Wild West Roses Rose Show & 3rd Annual Rose Art Exhibition.
Call for Entries: Rose Show Art Exhibit at Hart Park
One sock two sock, red sock blue sock. It doesn’t matter the color, Family Promise SCV wants your donation of new socks.
Homeless Services Group Collecting Socks for ‘Socktober’
Following the discovery of a deceased newborn baby at a recycling facility in Hesperia earlier today, Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe is reminding the public about the County’s Safe Surrender program.
Dead Baby Found in Trash Prompts Reminder of ‘Safe Surrender’
Sulphur Springs School District officials are continuing to gather voter input on possible electoral districts as part of their settlement of a California Voting Rights Act lawsuit.
Oct. 15: Next Public Input Meeting on Sulphur Springs Electoral Districts
The HDC environmental and technical studies will consider the importance of improved access and connectivity to regional transportation facilities, including airports, existing passenger rail and future high speed rail systems, officials say.
Caltrans, Metro Release Impact Reports on High Desert Corridor Plan
CBS has been ordered to pay $10.45 million in the wrongful death of a Reseda man who was killed while working on “NCIS” in Santa Clarita.
CBS Ordered to Pay $10.45 Mil. in SCV Wrongful Death Case
Join Red Rock Canyon State Park staff and volunteers on Saturday October 4th at 9 a.m. for a campground beautification day at Red Rock State Park, then hop over to the Antelope Valley Indian Museum for the annual American Indian Celebration.
State Parks Events in Oct.: Red Rock, AV Indian Museum, more
Pedestrian injuries are the fifth leading cause of injury-related death in the United States for children ages 5 to 19. Whether your child is walking to school, to a friend’s house, or the park, here are a few simple tips to make sure they arrive at their destination safely.
Tips for Pedestrians, Child Safety
Stevenson Ranch & Westridge, Zone 3 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Info Snapshot 09/22/2014 to 09/28/2014 Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Crime Prevention Unit
Crime Blotter: Stevenson Ranch-Westridge
Shower with a Friend
Message from the Mayor
1842 - New York Observer (newspaper) reports on Placerita gold discovery [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: Gov. Jerry Brown signed a statewide plastic bag ban into law on Tuesday. Plus, Santa Clarita city officials are beginning the process for looking into a potential library in Saugus. More on those stories and other local news.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Patrol deputies assigned to four L.A. County Sheriff stations - Lancaster, Temple, Century and Carson - will be testing a wearable camera system as part of a pilot program that could lead to as department-wide rollout.
Lancaster Deputies to Test Body Cams; Potential for Countywide Rollout
The ducks have landed and appear to be ready for the 12th Annual Rubber Ducky Regatta on Saturday at Bridgeport Park in Valencia.
Annual Sam Dixon Duckfest Coming Saturday
Three Los Angeles County-sponsored bills that aim to crack down on the demand-side of the illicit child sex trafficking industry were signed into law by California Governor Jerry Brown over the weekend.
New Laws Authorize Wiretaps for Human Traffickers, more
Upcoming training sessions for local entrepreneurs, from the Small Business Development Center at College of the Canyons.
SBDC: How to Use LinkedIn for Business Development; more