SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: A Few Thoughts On Love and Kindness | 02-16-2013
Clear
Clear

July 31
1939 - Recording artist, music promoter and longtime Sand Canyon resident Cliffie Stone marries singer Dorothy Darling in Hollywood [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

JenniferFischerI have been sharing with you an “ABC Adventure” of the Santa Clarita Valley, sharing about: Animals, Bicycle Trails, Central Park, Drums, Education, and Family Dinner in the Santa Clarita Valley.

This week, however, I am taking a quick break from the series to share a few thoughts about love and kindness. It only seemed appropriate on this Valentine weekend.

At the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed several shoppers buying bouquets, cards, chocolates and such for their loved ones. I was buying key ingredients for the Valentine dinner I would be preparing – lamb sausages in honor of the favorite dish in Egypt that my husband and I often ate when we were both studying abroad there and met for the first time 13 years ago. Mostly, people seemed happy as they focused their efforts on showing their loved ones how much they mean to them.

I am sure, though, there several of us that also felt a little stress this past Thursday, I know I certainly did – not from the pressure of the dinner I wanted to make for my husband, but rather the cookies I needed to make for my son to take to his play group, and now I think how silly that I would let something like getting cookies made first thing in the morning for a 10 a.m. play group cause me stress resulting in not demonstrating or acting with love toward my family. How silly, indeed.

And how silly it is every day when we let stress infringe on our ability to treat others with love and kindness. Even strangers deserve to be treated with kindness, and I have a theory that if we all treated everyone we met with a little more kindness, we would probably feel less stressed in general, and the result would be more happiness and love in the world. A pretty good result, I think.

I have seen it work, too. At the holidays, I created a Random Acts of Kindness Adventure for my 3-year-old and watched him bring smiles to many faces – at the mini mart as he delivered a thank-you note to the cashier, at the coffee shop as he handed out candy canes to strangers and wished them Happy Holidays.

It doesn’t even need to be that particular – a smile, a few nice words, remembering our “pleases” and “thank you’s” as we go about our day, and not being so much in a rush that we cannot respond nicely and appropriately when someone engages us in conversation. These things matter.

A fellow blogger I know does an annual 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge each year, beginning on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and running through Valentine’s Day. My hunch is that focusing on 100 acts of kindness in one month at the beginning of the year starts the year off right, sets the tone and can turn acts of kindness into habits. If there is any new habit that would be a good one for us all to pick up, showing excessive kindness is a pretty good one.

fischer021513So today, this weekend and every day, I challenge myself – and you – to commit at least three or even five acts of kindness. Who knows? You might decide to bump it up to 10 soon, and before you know it, you might find yourself seeing acts of kindness everywhere.

I know when I first began the 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge of Toddler Approved, the result I least expected was the way it shifted my world view. I started noticing small acts of kindness all around me.

At a time when recent events like the massacre at Sandy Hook can provide a grim outlook, opening my eyes and seeing the kindness of others and focusing my own efforts on fostering more love and kindness in the world feels pretty good.

Please stop in at The Good Long Road Facebook page and tell me what Acts of Kindness you have witnessed or committed lately. I would love to know.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

Comments are closed.

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: INFO (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Friday, Aug 1, 2014 12:01 am
As we begin our new fiscal year at City Hall, I am pleased to share with you a number of projects and programs we have planned for the coming year.
Friday, Aug 1, 2014 12:01 am
The death penalty debate will be everlasting. There are those who believe in the ultimate punishment and those who do not, and neither side can understand the other’s mindset.
Friday, Aug 1, 2014 12:01 am
If you are out and about in the Old Town Newhall area, you’ve probably noticed the former Newhall Library on 9th Street is receiving some much-needed updates. What you might not know is that inside the building, the city is working to create space for a first-ever business incubator.
Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 5:31 pm
Studies show excellent teachers increase earning capacity for their students individually - and not coincidentally, ineffective teachers negatively impact earning capacity - but when multiplied by the number of students educated over the course of even one good teacher’s career, that increased capacity can contribute millions to our state’s economy
Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 2:07 pm
The California Voting Rights Act has promoted a great deal of legal action and policy discussion throughout the state. The Hart Board took this proactive step to avoid a potential legal challenge and to honor the law’s intention, which is to ensure that underrepresented groups are not denied the opportunity to elect candidates and pass measures of their choice.
Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 12:59 am
The VVCAC members are the folks who act as liaison between the Chiquita Canyon Landfill company and the community of Val Verde. So if those folks are deciding how the money being given to the community by the landfill company will be spent, how come not all of the VVCAC members live in Val Verde?

Tennis, Transit and Trolleys | Message from the City Manager
Too Long to Die? | Commentary by Betty Arenson
Bookish Incubator | Message from the Mayor
The 2014 Santa Clarita High School Football Preview Show, presented by Nissan of Valencia, will premiere Friday night at 9 pm on SCVTV, Santa Clarita's only local television channel.
SCVTV’s Football Preview to Premiere Friday
Learn how local water officials are dealing with the drought; plus more local news headlines in this episode of SCV NewsBreak, presented by SCVTV and AM 1220 KHTS.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, July 31, 2014
Teaching for the Future | Assemblyman Scott Wilk
Throughout the month of August, Vons and Pavilions shoppers will have the opportunity to support athletes of Special Olympics.
‘Round Up’ Your Grocery Bill for Special Olympics
Saturday at Rivendale Park in Towsley Canyon off the Old Road, you can help celebrate the second annual “International Blues Music Day.” The band lineup features the Chris Banta Blues Band, Toni Dodd & Southbound Blues, Chuck Strong & SRBQ, Fortune, and Michael Stanton.
SCV Entertainment Beat: Blues & Wumbloozo
Santa Clarita Valley water officials have drafted a Water Action Plan that would restrict lawn-watering and car washing, in order to comply with a state mandate during the drought.
Water Companies Preparing to Impose Restrictions
The City of Santa Clarita will host the Pills Kill: Prescription to Addiction Symposium on Wednesday, Aug. 27, at 6:30 p.m. at the Santa Clarita Activities Center located at 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway.
Aug. 27: Prescription to Addiction: Pills Kill
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, in conjunction with the city of Santa Clarita, is kicking off National Night on Saturday, Aug. 2, at 4 p.m. at Central Park. The station will provide the public with the latest information on crime prevention and safety.
Aug. 2: National Night Out Event Precedes Concert in Park
Less than a day before he was set to go to trial, Yale Yurman, 71, of Valencia, accepted a 12-year prison sentence for allegations he filmed Santa Clarita Valley children without permission
Sex Offender Short-circuits Trial with Plea Bargain
The Move to District Elections | Superintendent Rob Challinor
Closures for the I-5 Pavement Improvement Project, Vista Del Lago Road to Kern County Line.
Lane Closure Schedule, Gorman Area, Aug. 3-10
Saugus, Zone 4 Update Public Safety & Crime Prevention Information Snapshot: 07/14/2014 - 07/20/2014
Weekly Crime Blotter: Saugus
Canyon Country West, Zone 7 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for the week of 07/21/2014 to 07/27/2014
Weekly Crime Blotter: Canyon Country-West
Valencia, Zone 5 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for the week of 07/21/2014 to 07/27/2014
Weekly Crime Blotter: Valencia
Newhall, Zone 6 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Info Week of 07/21/14 through 07/27/2014
Weekly Crime Blotter: Newhall
Canyon Country East, Zone 8 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information. Snapshot 07/21/2014 – 07/27/2014
Crime Blotter: Rape Arrest in Canyon Country-East
See You Tonight
Many people say they are interested in learning about their elders' experiences but are afraid to ask. I have found that the more I ask, the easier it gets, and I am always surprised in how happy people are to tell you their stories, just to have someone to listen.
Bridge the Gap
LARC Ranch received a gift of $500,000 from the Annenberg Foundation to help the nonprofit maintain its water supply. That plus more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Many California State University campuses will begin accepting applications for admission to the spring 2015 term on Friday, Aug. 1. The majority of students who apply for admission during the spring term are transfers from the California Community Colleges.
CSU Admissions for Spring 2015 Open Friday