SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: A Few Thoughts On Love and Kindness | 02-16-2013
Mostly clear
Mostly clear

July 21
1952 - 7.5-magnitude Kern County earthquake devastates Tehachapi; damage from San Diego to Las Vegas [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

JenniferFischerI have been sharing with you an “ABC Adventure” of the Santa Clarita Valley, sharing about: Animals, Bicycle Trails, Central Park, Drums, Education, and Family Dinner in the Santa Clarita Valley.

This week, however, I am taking a quick break from the series to share a few thoughts about love and kindness. It only seemed appropriate on this Valentine weekend.

At the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed several shoppers buying bouquets, cards, chocolates and such for their loved ones. I was buying key ingredients for the Valentine dinner I would be preparing – lamb sausages in honor of the favorite dish in Egypt that my husband and I often ate when we were both studying abroad there and met for the first time 13 years ago. Mostly, people seemed happy as they focused their efforts on showing their loved ones how much they mean to them.

I am sure, though, there several of us that also felt a little stress this past Thursday, I know I certainly did – not from the pressure of the dinner I wanted to make for my husband, but rather the cookies I needed to make for my son to take to his play group, and now I think how silly that I would let something like getting cookies made first thing in the morning for a 10 a.m. play group cause me stress resulting in not demonstrating or acting with love toward my family. How silly, indeed.

And how silly it is every day when we let stress infringe on our ability to treat others with love and kindness. Even strangers deserve to be treated with kindness, and I have a theory that if we all treated everyone we met with a little more kindness, we would probably feel less stressed in general, and the result would be more happiness and love in the world. A pretty good result, I think.

I have seen it work, too. At the holidays, I created a Random Acts of Kindness Adventure for my 3-year-old and watched him bring smiles to many faces – at the mini mart as he delivered a thank-you note to the cashier, at the coffee shop as he handed out candy canes to strangers and wished them Happy Holidays.

It doesn’t even need to be that particular – a smile, a few nice words, remembering our “pleases” and “thank you’s” as we go about our day, and not being so much in a rush that we cannot respond nicely and appropriately when someone engages us in conversation. These things matter.

A fellow blogger I know does an annual 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge each year, beginning on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and running through Valentine’s Day. My hunch is that focusing on 100 acts of kindness in one month at the beginning of the year starts the year off right, sets the tone and can turn acts of kindness into habits. If there is any new habit that would be a good one for us all to pick up, showing excessive kindness is a pretty good one.

fischer021513So today, this weekend and every day, I challenge myself – and you – to commit at least three or even five acts of kindness. Who knows? You might decide to bump it up to 10 soon, and before you know it, you might find yourself seeing acts of kindness everywhere.

I know when I first began the 100 Acts of Kindness Challenge of Toddler Approved, the result I least expected was the way it shifted my world view. I started noticing small acts of kindness all around me.

At a time when recent events like the massacre at Sandy Hook can provide a grim outlook, opening my eyes and seeing the kindness of others and focusing my own efforts on fostering more love and kindness in the world feels pretty good.

Please stop in at The Good Long Road Facebook page and tell me what Acts of Kindness you have witnessed or committed lately. I would love to know.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

Comments are closed.

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: INFO (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Jul 21, 2014 2:40 am
I’m tired of the lies. The broken promises. Is it too much to ask that we return to being a nation of laws? Is it too much to ask that our borders are secure? Is it too much to ask to have our leaders tell the truth?
Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 4:24 am
Being part of the Greatest Generation, her outlook on life was a little different than what ours is today. She and her husband knew the value of the work they did and built a business and raised a family. I’m sure times were rough for the couple, but they did just fine. Financially they had a comfortable life, but only because they knew the value of what they had.
Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 2:39 am
Rattlesnakes are our neighbors. They are an important part of the local ecosystem and help to keep the vermin population in check. They do not want to fight with you; they would much rather go on their way and do their thing. But if you insist on threatening or provoking them, they will strike back to protect themselves. So if you do encounter a rattlesnake, particularly in your backyard, call Animal Control to remove it rather than killing it.
Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 2:04 am
This time, I would like some real answers. Not some lame excuse like I got for the eucalyptus trees. The public needs to know what is killing those pepper trees. Disease or herbicide?
Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 12:01 am
This week the boys wanted to help me write, and we decided on the theme of summertime. Sky even did some typing himself, so it went a bit slowly.
Friday, Jul 18, 2014 5:25 pm
Sgt. Bowe Berghdahl's sympathizers would call him a captive of the enemy - a POW. The men who served with him say otherwise; they term him deserter. Since they were the witnesses, encamped with and living with Bergdahl, there should be no mystery why many believe them.

The Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder says the county’s outdated balloting system can't handle cumulative voting or November elections. That plus more local news tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, July 21, 2014
The Samuel Dixon Family Health Centers' former Chief Operating Officer, Philip Solomon, is replacing J. Chris Mattingly, who was appointed CEO on an interim basis in February.
Samuel Dixon Centers Promote New CEO from Within
This week's events and activities from the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce.
SCV Chamber This Week (7-21-2014)
Sierra Bancorp, the holding company of Bank of the Sierra, announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire Santa Clara Valley Bank, N.A. of Santa Paula, California, for aggregate cash consideration of $15.3 million.
Santa Paula-based SCV Bank Sells to Sierra Bancorp for $15.3 Mil.
For the first time ever, Walmart is offering teachers across the country 10 percent savings on classroom supplies.
July 25-31: Teachers Get 10% Off School Supplies
If you find yourself feeling discouraged competing for jobs with the “younger generation” or “up and coming youth in their 20s”, you are a Mature Job Seeker. Learn how to avoid been screened out.
Free Workshops for Job Seekers
Deputies found stolen power tools, cell phones, a GPS unit, and a Nintendo Gameboy with game, among other items, inside a home in Val Verde.
Detectives Looking for Owners of Stolen Property
The Santa Clarita Valley SELPA actively encourages parents or community members who know of a child (birth to age 22) who may have special needs to contact their local school district office.
School Agency Puts Out a Call for Special-Needs Students
Despite various Santa Clarita Valley governing boards’ approval of election changes in response to California Voting Rights Act concerns, an outdated county system won’t be able to handle the changes for at least another four years, officials said.
‘Voting’ Part of Voting-Rights Settlement Not Actually Workable
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) plans to implement closures during the week of July 21-25, 2014, as part of a project that is constructing truck lanes on I-5 between Pico Canyon Road/Lyons Avenue and the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14).
Freeway Lane Closures in Newhall Pass, July 21-25
History Flight, a private organization, excavated what was believed to be a wartime fighting position on the island of Betio. Five sets of remains were found, four Japanese and one American. The U.S. Marine was identified through his dog tags and dental records.
Missing WWII Marine’s Remains Found on Island in Pacific
The Bay Delta Conservation Plan calls for two 35-mile tunnels to channel water from the Sacramento River to pumping stations by the California Aqueduct south of Stockton.
Water Expert Discusses Bay Delta Conservation Plan
What Are We Teaching?
At Peace at Last
Rattlesnakes: Friend or Foe?
While kids are home from school for the summer, many are eating all of their meals at home - and that effects families that are already struggling to put just one meal on the table.
Summer’s the Time to Donate to SCV Food Pantry
2001 - Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]
Are They Poisoning Us?
Saugus School Board members picked David Powell from a field of 16 applicants to fill a vacant board seat Friday.
Cal Lutheran Instructor Picked to Fill Winkler Seat
Just 5 percent of Santa Claritans were unemployed in June, an improvement of 1.2 points over the June 2013 rate of 6.2 percent – which was already a 0.6 percent improvement over June 2012 when 6.8 percent of Santa Claritans were standing in the unemployment line.
Santa Clarita Jobless Rate Improves to 5%
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Simple Things
Although your next-door neighbor’s yippy Bichon Frisé — which clearly has a serious Napoleon complex and a seemingly endless desire to draw blood from people’s ankles — might be far more likely to bite someone than your cuddly pit bull, it doesn’t necessarily mean your insurance company cares.
Pets In Your Rental? | Tips from Scott Taylor