SCVNews.com | Opinion/Commentary: Apology Not Accepted | 07-08-2016
Clear
Clear

October 1
1842 - New York Observer (newspaper) reports on Placerita gold discovery, proving that the Americans knew about it 6 years before Sutter's Mill [story]

You Know I'm Right | Commentary by Betty Arenson
| Friday, Jul 8, 2016

bettyarensonMany Americans celebrated the nation’s birthday earlier this week with spectacular cheering, flag waving and exuberant parades; most of all, with pride.

It’s uplifting to see people energized. Older people, perhaps past the late 30s range, likely have a different view of the state of America today versus America four or five decades ago.

Those earlier years conjure up memories of heightened American pride; her flag, her constitution, loyalty to our fellow human beings and country, freedom of religious practice without disdain, respect for authority and a palatable sense of responsibility and accountability.

A Gallup Poll released July 1 shows “very proud” of America dropped from 70 percent in 2003 to 52 percent in 2016 after 57 percent in 2013.

A clear look at reality shows us why we shouldn’t be surprised.

Although it wasn’t a common practice, flag burning became legal in a 1969 Supreme Court case wherein such an act was deemed covered under the First Amendment. Predictably, the ACLU has enthusiastically led legislative efforts fighting the banning of flag desecration, under the guise of protecting First Amendment rights.

Many of us grew up with a pledge of allegiance to the U.S. flag and morning prayer in school. I think many would agree it was an uplifting, positive way to start the day. I never heard a complaint.

Eventually, prayer became forbidden as a result of vociferous dissenters. They erroneously title it as a matter of church versus state, which it is not.

A 1962 Supreme Court ruled that “official prayer had no place in public education.” That does not mean the ruling said students would be forbidden on their own to pray, but rather government officials will not “compose a prayer for students to recite.”

Clearly the true meaning of the rulings is not practiced today.

There’s vivid evidence that prayer is indeed forbidden. Example: Washington’s Bremerton High School football coach Joe Kennedy who was suspended in 2015 for his practice of praying after the games. Both teams were welcome to attend completely voluntarily. After eight years of doing this, “someone” reported him to the principal. His litigation continues.

Then there’s the matter of California’s Camp Pendleton Marine Base and Memorial Hill.

In 2003, surviving Marines of Operation Iraqi Freedom made burdensome efforts to walk up a 3,000-foot incline, “near vertical at some points carrying shovels, stones and a wooden cross” (Business Insider May 2012). Their intent was to symbolize “a fallen Marine, a brother, who had given his life in combat.”

The memorial grew as Marines would bring more rocks, one weighing over 50 pounds. Others “brought bottles of liquor, drinking with their fallen brothers and leaving the rest for them at the site. Between rocks, there were dog tags, Purple Hearts, battalion T-shirts, and photos.”

Two salient points: 1) The Marines are steadfast in their belief that the cross symbol is not of religious intent; and 2) The cross is far from the view of any mere passers-by; one must exert efforts to seek it out.

One objector is the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers. I don’t know if they have formally filed a lawsuit yet.

Americans are right to hold the presumption that anyone who wants to be the president should be proud of America. President Obama fails at that.

Obama took office in January 2009, and his detrimental world apology tour soon followed.

* “We Have Not Been Perfect.” Apology to the Muslim world – Obama interview with Al Arabiya, Jan. 27, 2009.

* “Some Restoration of America’s Standing in the World.” Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders at a London news conference April 2, 2009.

* “America Has Shown Arrogance” and “Sacrificing Your Values.” Obama apology speech to France and Europe in Strasbourg, April 3, 2009.

* “At Times We Sought to Dictate Our Terms.” “Promises of partnership have gone unfulfilled in the past … we have at times been disengaged.” Apology to the Summit of the Americas, Port of Spain, April 17, 2009.

* “We Went off Course … our government made a series of hasty decisions … all too often our government made decisions based on fear rather than foresight.” Apology for the War on Terror with Obama’s speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009.

* “Our Own Darker Periods in Our History.” “The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history.” Apology before the Turkish Parliament, Ankara, April 6, 2009.

* “The United States Has Not Pursued and Sustained Engagement with Our Neighbors.” Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas. Obama op-ed, “Choosing a Better Future in the Americas,” April 16, 2009.

* “Potentially We’ve Made Some Mistakes.” Apology for (alleged) mistakes of the CIA. Obama told CIA employees, CIA Headquarters, Langley, Va., April 20, 2009.

* “A Rallying Cry for Our Enemies,” “Guantanamo in the first place was the misplaced notion that a prison there would be beyond the law … rather it made us less safe” Apology for Guantanamo, National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009.

* Obama spoke at a town hall in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 20, 2015 of America’s “pitfalls” like “income inequality, a political system controlled by the wealthy and political parties divided along racial lines.”

* Obama spoke in March 2016 in communist Cuba. He did not speak of America’s democracy or denounce Cuba’s dismal reign against human rights but was eager to be the communists’ friend.

* A happy-faced Obama appeared with a bust figure of Ho Chi Minh, leader of the communist movement in Vietnam, on May 23, 2016. He spoke in gleaming terms of Vietnam and made no positive statements about America.

Gallup concluded: “Americans’ patriotism stayed relatively flat from 2006 through 2013, a period that spanned the Great Recession and Barack Obama’s election and first term as president. But over the last three years, Americans’ willingness to say they are extremely proud to be an American has declined further.”

Much of the loss of “very proud” of America can be directly attributed to the aforementioned and more.

This week’s events with a presidential candidate having proven beyond the shadow of any doubt to be a big liar and document destroyer add to America’s losses.

More on that next time.

Betty Arenson has lived in the SCV since 1968 and describes herself as a conservative who’s concerned about progressives’ politics and their impacts on the country, her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She says she is unashamed to own a gun or a Bible, couldn’t care less about the color of the president’s skin, and demands that he uphold his oath to protect and follow the Constitution of the United States in its entirety.

1. Gary says:

Betty, perhaps you should widen your scope of news input and get out of the right wing echo chamber.

Have you heard of the new Chilcot report re: Britain’s roll in the American/British invasion of Iraq? There’s a good chance Blair could go to jail. If America was honest with herself, Bush would be in the Big House. Apologies are necessary because we’ve wrecked havoc around the world. Yes, us. We did it. We opened the Pandora’s Box in the Middle East. That’s what you call an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation.

We must accept it, make changes, and strive to become a better nation all around.

– Gary

2. Cheryl G says:

Just Shut UP. You are part of the problem!!! How about working to put the word “United” back into your vocabulary. You offer your opinion and zero solutions!!

3. Older people past the late 30’s range…now I feel really REALLY OLD!

• Betty Arenson says:

Oops, sorry Sherie Ritter-Rubin……about that ‘past thirty” thing. lol Oh, and for you readers, Cheryl G and I have been communicating on another blog site (where she uses her full name) about this commentary. Her motto is “spread love not hate”….did you all recognize that?” Now THAT is an lol.

4. Denny NNWofLA says:

No apologies would be necessary had this nation conducted itself honorably and been a good world neighbor rather than pursuing the course the right has pushed upon us. How can anyone offer credible condolences to those we have bombed, citizens we have killed and infrastructures we have destroyed under the false flag of liberation? Remember Operation Iraqi Liberation (OIL)? No. It was all about the money and power for the war machine and world corporations that rule. Shameless hypocrite; now you apologize.

5. Lib says:

I’m pretty sick of conservatives trying to define ‘progressives’ and ‘liberals’. They are nothing close to the truth or reality. My suggestion for Betty – define yourself and exactly what policies you like and let democrats or liberals define their own. Your hate of Obama has come through loud and clear for years, by the way. I’m not sure how godlike it is to revere your gun and Obama hate as much as your Bible, you may want to take some time to ponder that. I’d also love to know how Trump fits into those values of yours.

6. Betty Arenson says:

Lib. My suggestion to you would be to 1.identify yourself with real name; 2.location; 3. prove where I have ever said I hate Obama—-reciting his own comments does not constitute that; 4. since you apparently having been following me for “years” you would know I do not “hate” anyone. That takes too much energy and I’m, not interested. I leave hate to the Left; 5. I’d love to know where in the heck did you get Trump from all of this? I have NEVER waved a flag for Trump; he was not my choice; 6. The First and Second amendments give me all of the rights I need to possess a respect and free practice of religion i.e a bible and own or not own a gun. Thank you for once again proving the thoughts, anger and sloppy accusations and assignments of liberals.

• Denny NNWofLA says:

Getting pretty defensive there Betty. Lib was clearly asking what you thought of Trump. And Lib is not the flag waver. How about removing your star-spangled blinders and pay attention to the topic. To quote that guy you do not hate: “It’s not surprising, then, they get bitter. They cling to their guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them…” President Barack Obama.
      Thank you for once again proving your ignorance.

• Lib says:

One doesn’t need to do anything more than read the Signal daily to know your opinions, it has nothing to do with ‘following’. You are rather hard not to know, frankly. You may think you don’t hate anyone, but that is exactly what comes through the words in your column when talking about Obama. As for Trump, since he will be your nominee and I know you aren’t voting democrat, how do you reconcile those ‘values? You don’t seem to want to answer that one. As for me, I have to live in this valley of red (for now) and prefer to keep politics out of my friendships, but that doesn’t mean I can’t put my opinion out there. I would love for everyone to just work together to solve problems and your blatant attempts to mis-define liberals are getting tedious and are unhelpful. Stop being so negative.

7. Alleys Zerep says:

What delusional world do you live in? Go wrap yourself in the flag because as anyone with a brain knows, Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. I am proud of my President and no amount of your vitriol or baseless assertions can diminish what he and his administration have been able to achieve despite all the Republican obstruction.

8. Yawn. Bitter, tarnished, and struggling to remain relevant. Your time is over, Betty. There’s the door.

• I think that pic is 30 years old😁

• Jared, you just don’t get it do you. The age and gender of the writer is now relevant, rather the content speaks the truth for all of us to are not to deaf or blind to understand. Eight years of Obama have changed this country in so many negative ways. Race relations, the economy, respect from other country’s leaders. Obama’s change and hope rhetoric has been a disaster!!

• Lib says:

Are you actually blaming Obama for the hate that has been blown out into the open with his election? I can only say you and that belief is a huge part of the problem. I see and hear it all the time. Right here in SCV. A total lack of empathy and understanding.
        As for the economy, Obama has brought the economy up from the deep, deep, deep recession caused by Bush and those failed trickle down policies, among other things. The republican obstruction of all of Obama’s policies have left those failed policies in place! So IN SPITE of republican obstruction, Obama managed to take the economy out of recession.
        As for that lie that Obama isn’t respected in the world, actually the opposite is true and he has worked hard to bring back the respect lost during those terrible Bush years.
        Lastly, Obama’s rhetoric? What exactly are you talking about? I hear nothing but calm, measured words. Trump? The last time I heard him at a rally he sounded like a deranged despot screeching at the crowd.
        I just look forward to Hillary nominating the next few justices to SCOTUS. Thanks for choosing a real piece of work as your candidate, republicans!

• And Carol, who cares the age of the author, rather the truth of her words! She’s right!

• Oh, that’s rich. I would love to hear how one man has made a disaster of race relations. Enlighten us, Shirley.

9. Betty Arenson says:

Sorry Jared, Liberals always want to crush or muffle people they don’t agree with. I’ll take my patriotism, thank you and has zero to do with masking anything. And no, I’m not going away. Somehow you are supposed to be able to be proud of Obama, yet I’m not supposed to be proud of America. Can you really defend that stance? Carol Fleming, your “think” is dead wrong. My picture was taken December 31, 2015 with a cell phone. Darn, I should have made you a $1000 bet, put into an escrow account, and you could work at proving your lunatic accusation and I could prove up the truth and you could just keep on thinking…and paying up. Still want to put your money where your mouth is? I can arrange it.

• Denny NNWofLA says:

Betty, do you think you could arrange THIS? An answer to the simple question asked of you three times already in this thread regarding your thoughts on Trump. As you may believe, we all want to know what you think. C’mom Betty- don’t leave us hanging, we need to know.

10. Betty Arenson says:

Denny anonymous, part of my views on Trump have been answered above. He was NOT my choice while others were in the race. However, now the process has mandated Trump is the presumed Republican candidate. He will get my vote because 1.he is disliked by the left, by Hillary list Clinton, Bernie Sanders and a lot of Republicans. Since I do not like a lot of Republicans,w whether try like Trump or not, and I am NOT a sheep, I do NOT want to see Hillary in the oval office, I do not want the distraction if the whore-hound slick Willy, I do not want the continuation of Obama, I do not want Hillary picking Supreme Court justices. Hillary is a proven liar and a greedy, dishonest person….those for starters. Your question is answered? And since you’ve referenced it, I’m also awaiting the $1000 challenge from your buddy Carol Fleming. Can’t you arrange THAT?

11. Denny NNWofLA says:

Thank you Betty for again showing us your brand. But- you left out the part about Hillary eats babies. Sheesh!(BAHHH)
    btw- I did not reference Carol Fleming, but since you brought it up, perhaps it was a photo of a 30-year old photo taken by a cell phone. (BAHHH)

Commentary Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Related Content
RECENT COMMENTARY
Friday, Sep 30, 2016
One can legitimately ask if Steve and Cokie Roberts' story falls into Hillary’s list of tales about being under gunfire in Bosnia, Chelsea’s danger in being near ground zero on 9/11, and Hillary’s claim of being named after Sir Edmund Hillary – who did not become famous until six years after Hillary’s birth.
Thursday, Sep 29, 2016
Walking across my property the other morning around 7:30, I saw something move suddenly at my feet. It actually struck at me, and it was a good thing I didn’t step on it. It was in fact a night snake. I was thrilled.
Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016
Social justice warriors at the University of Kansas screamed obscenities at white students who didn’t feel the need for "safe spaces." Imagine that. The self-proclaimed warriors of civility and equality respond to what was supposed to be an open conversation by shouting them down, using foul language, and screaming in the faces of students with a different viewpoint.
Sunday, Sep 25, 2016
I have taken many walks on the plains of Tanzania with Masai body guards armed with spears and occasionally rifles. It is rather unnerving to think at any moment, you could become prey to a lion, cheetah or another apex predator.
Thursday, Sep 22, 2016
If you find yourself traveling east on Interstate 40 to Needles or beyond, you might want to consider a short side trip to explore Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark. It’s located just off of National Trails Highway (Historic Route 66) about 28 miles east of the town of Ludlow.
Tuesday, Sep 20, 2016
Medicare’s annual open enrollment season begins Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 7. This is the time every year when you can sign up for a new Medicare drug or health plan, or switch the one you have now.

College of the Canyons will play its fifth regular season game as the Cougars host the Grossmont College Griffins at Cougar Stadium. Saturday's game is a non-conference contest. All players, coaches and cheerleaders associated with a Santa Clarita Valley youth sports league or cheer organization are invited to attend Saturday's game free of charge.
Saturday: No. 11 COC Hosts No. 8 Grossmont College
The Master’s University volleyball team survived a five-set dogfight Thursday night against Hope International University.
Volleyball: Lady Mustangs Scrap for Win Over Hope Int’l
Traffic investigators from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station are investigating the circumstances of a fatal traffic collision involving a pedestrian, who was a Southern California Edison worker, and a vehicle. The collision occurred on Avenue K west of 20th Street East, in the City of Lancaster.
Motorist Hits, Kills Edison Worker in Lancaster
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, check out our top headlines from this past week and upcoming weekend events. Plus, COC hosts a human trafficking awareness event and Forge Ahead Arts host the She Bytes exhibition. Check out these stories tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, September 30, 2016
Assemblyman Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, presented a $5,000 Education Grant from the Barona Band of Mission Indians to Mint Canyon Community School on Friday to assist in the purchase of 67 MobyMax tablets to aid students learning math and language arts.
Barona Indians Give $5K to Mint Canyon School for Tablets
The Newhall Community Center recently opened its doors for pickleball play on two newly lined courts in the multipurpose room. Pickleball courts are also available at the Sports Complex Gymnasium and Bouquet Canyon Park.
Pickleball Now Available at Newhall Community Center
All 23 California State University campuses will begin accepting applications on Oct. 1 for admission to the fall 2017 term.
Oct. 1: Application Period Opens for Fall 2017 at All CSU’s
NYT Best-Selling Author Stephen Mansfield is best known for his groundbreaking books on religion, history and contemporary culture. He will speak at the Trinity Classical Academy campus about "Recovering a Christian View of History" on Monday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m.
Oct. 10: Christian History Author to Speak at Trinity School
The Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk is in need of pollworkers across Los Angeles County for the upcoming Nov. 8 Presidential General Election.
800 More Pollworkers Needed for Nov. 8 Election
The flags fly proudly each day at SCVi Charter School — and now they fly in a brand new landscaped flag courtyard created as a patriotic tribute by a soon-to-be Eagle Scout who coordinated more than 850 volunteer hours to make it happen.
SCVi Charter Dedicates New Flag Courtyard
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Metrolink Bureau partnered with several law enforcement agencies in September to enforce traffic laws at railroad grade crossings in several Southern California Counties used by commuter rail.
119 Tickets Issues at Rail Crossings During Special Operation
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, cordially invites you to come and enjoy the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department “Fun In the Sun” Chili Cook Off on Saturday, Oct. 15, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Jack Bones Equestrian Center in Castaic.
Oct. 15: ‘Fun in the Sun’ Chili Cookoff in Castaic for Special Olympics
Deputies are inviting the public to stop by the 27th Annual Haunted Jailhouse and Community Open House event on Sunday, Oct. 30, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and help them look for ghosts and goblins spotted in and around the station jail.
Jail is a Scary Place: Haunted Jailhouse Returns Oct. 30
A plan to divide the lot on the Northpark Community Church property, which houses Trinity Classical Academy, is set to go before the Santa Clarita Planning Commission on Tuesday.
Planners to Consider Northpark Church-Trinity Academy Lot Split
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation sponsored by Board of Equalization Member George Runner and authored by Sen. Patricia Bates, R-Laguna Niguel, that expands eligibility for the state's property tax exemption to disabled military veterans who were discharged under "other than honorable conditions."
Brown Signs Runner-Sponsored Bill to Help Disabled Veterans
Witches, zombies, ghosts and fairies alike are all invited to attend this spook-tacular day that will be held at the LIMS Movie Studio in Castaic.
Oct. 23: Family-Oriented Halloween Event at Castaic Movie Studio
Selective Memory
1955 - Actor James Dean, 24, drives through Castaic Junction en route to his final resting place [watch]
On Saturday, The Master’s University’s cross country teams will toe the line at their fifth-annual home race, The Mustang Challenge, at Santa Clarita’s Central Park.
Oct. 1: TMU Hosts XC Race at Santa Clarita Central Park
The Golden State Athletic Conference has announced that Michael Sciarra has been named the Cross Country Runner of the Month for September. This is Sciarra’s first time receiving this honor.
TMU’s Sciarra Named Conference Runner of Month
Twelfth-ranked Biola used a splendid bicycle kick 4:59 into overtime to eke out a 1-0 victory over the Mustangs Wednesday night in La Mirada.
Men’s Soccer: Mustangs Fall to Biola 1-0 in Overtime
The College of the Canyons men's soccer team claimed its biggest win of the season on Tuesday, coming in the form of a physical 2-1 victory over Santa Barbara City College at Cougar Stadium.
Men’s Soccer: COC Gets Physical with Santa Barbara, Wins 2-1
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the annual Hate Crimes report was released by the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations and reports a 24 percent increase this past year. Plus, Halloween is around the corner and this local farm will help you get in the spirit of the season. Check out these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, September 29, 2016
The burned-out and blighted Greens pub and putting course on McBean Parkway could be redeveloped into a 5-story hotel and 4,000-square-foot restaurant if the Santa Clarita Planning Commission shouts "FORE!" on Tuesday to a proposal that's working its way through the city approval process.
City Planners to Consider New Hotel, Restaurant for ‘Greens’ Property
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today that the U.S. Department of Education has awarded California $49.9 million in start-up funds to assist in the launch and development of high-quality charter schools over the next three years.
Feds Providing $50 Mil. for Calif. Charter School Start-Ups
During the month of October on every Saturday, residents can partake in a variety of happenings throughout the city of Santa Clarita to celebrate the arts. All events are free and open to the public.
Santa Clarita Celebrates National Arts, Humanities Month
The Matador Report is the official e-newsletter of Matador Athletics.
CSUN Athletics: Matador Report for Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016
Lots of fun learning activities are in store at the Santa Clarita Public Libraries in October.
October at the Santa Clarita Libraries
Education is power. Come learn about the new laws which will affect your business and employees, and discuss the steps you can take to help ensure compliance and avoid costly fines or litigation.
Dec. 2: Employment Law Update at COC Chancellor’s Circle Breakfast
Parents, educators, students, and employers are invited to take part in the "STREAM Kids Expo," an event that engages students in real-world issues through exciting hands-on activities facilitated by industry experts such as NASA, Lockheed Martin, Gantom Lighting & Controls, Wells Fargo, BMW, and Solar City.
Oct. 22: ‘STREAM Kids Expo’ to Engage Students in Real World Issues
A bill cosponsored by Representative Steve Knight (CA-25) that would buy time for small businesses and other entities to comply with an impending federal regulation passed the House of Representatives Wednesday night.
Knight Bill Aiming to Delay Mandate Affecting Business Passes House
A total 32 rabid bats have been found in Los Angeles County, with 11 of them being found in the Santa Clarita Valley, in 2016 as of September 27.
Three More Rabid Bats Found in SCV, Brings Total to 11
At Tuesday’s meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, 5th District Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich presented Bailey, a 3-month-old spayed female chihuahua mix, ready to be adopted.
Antonovich Pet of the Week (9-27-2016): Bailey
The Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations has released its annual account of hate crimes reported throughout Los Angeles County in 2015.
Hate Crimes Rise in L.A. County for the First Time in Seven Years
Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law Santa Clarita Assemblyman Scott Wilk’s AB 1322, which permits salons and barbershops to serve a single complimentary alcoholic beverage to clients ages 21 and over without requiring a license or permit, provided no extra fees are charged for the beverage.
Brown Signs Wilk Bill Allowing Alcoholic Beverages to be Served at Salons