SCVNews.com | Co-Owner of Margarita’s Grill Found Dead; Son Booked for Murder | 10-03-2016
Showers
Showers

January 22
1839 - Gov. Juan B. Alvarado gives most of SCV to Mexican Army Lt. Antonio del Valle [story]

| Monday, Oct 3, 2016
josemarialucatero
Jose and Maria Lucatero, owners of Margarita's Mexican Grill in Valencia, are seen here with their award this year from SCV Elite Magazine for the best margarita in town. Photo: Margarita's Mexican Grill.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials have identified a Saugus murder victim as Maria Lucatero, 56.

Lucatero’s body was discovered  by her husband shortly after 1 p.m. Monday in their Saugus home in the 19500 block of Castille Lane. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper torso and was pronounced dead upon arrival of emergency responders.

Their couple’s son, Jesse Lucatero, 24, was detained for questioning and eventually arrested on suspicion of murder Monday night. He is being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station in lieu of $2 million bail.

According to published news reports, relatives said Jesse Lucatero suffers from mental illness.

Maria and husband Jose Lucatero are the owners of Margarita’s Mexican Grill in Valencia.

“We are so sorry to announce we lost one of our own today,” restaurant employees said on the business’ Facebook page. “The one who taught us hard work and respect pays off. Our beloved boss, bronze and brains behind the operations, chef, mother, CEO, wife, aunt, guardian, boss lady. RIP Maria!”

187_100316

1. Near Fire Station off Plum Canyon

2. Did you see the one about the mail too!! I reposted!!

3. That explains the helicopter

4. The helicopters are flying for a while now… hope they find what they are looking for

5. I just drove over to the area and it’s all roped off with new stations police helicopters not good

6. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

Very sad, pray for this family.

7. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

NickandShannon Frankina

8. Mahsa Motavvef this is next door to us

9. Stacy Brown Stacy Brown says:

Where is this exactly?

10. Michele Aloe Michele Aloe says:

Prayers for this family during this difficult time.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

11. Prayers for the family 🙏🏽

12. Carol Hughes Carol Hughes says:

Sending prayers!🙏🏻🙏🏻

13. So sad! Sending prayers!
    Sis Laiza Boone Ronald Boone close to your place.

14. It was the owner of margaritas in Valencia

15. My prayers for the family. I knew Maria only as a great hostess, wonderful business owner and community partner. All of SCV mourns with the family.

16. Horrible, praying for the family…

17. Wen Ren Wen Ren says:

Oh my. Prayers for the family as well as the community. RIP Maria

18. This is horrible! My condolences to Maria’s family and extended family at Margaritas…

19. My condolences to the Lucatero family.

20. Lo siento mucho Johnny, Jeff, Jose y el resto de la familia. Les deseo pronta resignacion.

21. Cuando estaba chica, yo le pedía a mi papa que me compara un carro “como el de Maria, un solara convertible”. .. my condolences Lucatero family. Que dios les de fuerza para perdonar y el tiempo para sanar.

22. Blanca Arciga isn’t this where Gloria work? Was this her sister?

23. Jorge A RodriguezRealtor

24. MarisolMarisol ayi es a donde vas

25. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

RIP María and prayers to this family

26. Deepest condolences & prayers to all.

27. Very sad. We have gone there many times. They have both greeted us and were very welcoming. So so sad. Prayers for the family

28. Kata Ford my heart is so sad!! 😢

29. No hay palabras de consuelo para tanto dolor solo el tiempo nos ayuda a sanarun abrazo jose y gladys hoyos

30. Carey-Ann Duran-Liptow

31. Lisa Sweet-Graham Nena Marquez Ochwatt

32. This is beyond heartbreaking…May God comfort the family at this time, including the son…This is something that poor boy has to live with for the rest of his life…

33. Sandy Fisher Sandy Fisher says:

My prayers are with Jose and his family. Maria and Jose have always been so welcoming whenever my family went to dine at Margarita’s. Such a tragic loss.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

This is so sad. Best Mexican food in SCV

35. The first restaurant we ate at after we first moved to Santa Clarita. Very tragic, so sorry for the family.

36. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

God bless your family. Our condolences.

37. Prayers for everyone involved. May God give you the strength to help you through this difficult time. 🙏🙏🙏

38. Oh no!! 😢 sending my prayers to the family. She was such a nice lady. So sorry for your loss🙏

39. Kyle Adler….remember them from taekwondo?!??

40. Joe Garel, Chelsea Cross Wilson, Val Bruyere

41. So terrible. Sad news.
    Or condolences to the family

42. Lety Diaz Lety Diaz says:

So sad prayers send to the family

43. Jonathan Colbert damn

44. Praying for the entire Margarita’s family. They have always been so kind and welcoming. What a tragedy. 😢

45. Wendy Chavarria Salcedo. This is so sad.

46. Gwen Kaye Gwen Kaye says:

My prayers are with the family.

47. So sad. Bless Jose and RIP, Maria.

48. This is so sad and devastating ! My prayers to you Jose and your family!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

49. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

Awww, Sending prayers to the family. So very sad.

50. Melissa Parsons Barnes Savanna Claiborne Alexis Claiborne

51. Heart breaking, wonderful lady taken too soon. Prayers for the family! Maria you will be missed!

52. Always so sweet and welcoming. What a loss.

53. Pérez Julio Pérez Julio says:

Araceli Martinez Lupiss Islas Susy Aguilar Stellin

54. Timothy Burks did you see this?

55. Mariza Scoglio Napoli did you know them?

56. So sorry to hear this. So tragic. Her poor family.

57. So sad.. Prayers to the family may they find peace in days to come.

58. So sorry for your loss 😢 We’ve eaten there many times and they were always welcoming . Our condolences and prayers are with the family 🙏❤️

59. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

Vickie Frankina NickandShannon Frankina

60. Suzie Acosta 😌😌😌

61. My prayers to the family, mental illness is a terrible thing😞
    May she RIP

62. SAD!! Maria was one of the nicest person. Prayers from The Champion Family.

63. I just saw her walking at Central Park last week!! 🙏 such a lovely person!! 💔

64. So sad!!! How horrible!!! Praying for family.

65. Van Ha Van Ha says:

At first I would have never put the 2 incidents together but it’s this is shocking and sad.

66. I as thinking about them all night last night. So sad.

67. One of our favorite places to eat. Maria was so gracious and welcoming — the ultimate hostess. Her death is a real tragedy.

68. Lois Mikos Lois Mikos says:

So awful and sad😢

69. Roberto Leo Roberto Leo says:

Keri Leo Ken Jeffris

70. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to this wonderful family.

71. It’s so sad because I always recall the son taking our order and he always was so friendly but at the same time sketchy …Maria seemed like such a nice lady

72. Kyle McGraw weren’t you friends with him?

73. Rosie Donato Rosie Donato says:

Jose and Gloria my prayers are with you and cannot imagine something so awful God bless my prayers are with you🙏👼

74. Armando Jimenez Deborah Jimenez oh no!!!! Praying for this family!

75. We are both shocked and saddened to hear this news. Our heartfelt prayers are with our friends ar Margarita’s.

76. Jonathan Brutsche oh no! This is the place I wanted to go to😣

77. Bernt Powell Bernt Powell says:

Rob PowellShirl Powell

78. Myrna Jimenez-Parra did you see this? How sad :( She was so nice and welcoming from what I remember…prayers going out to their family..

79. Denny NNWofLA says:

Maria was kind and compassionate, a loving wife and mother. She worked so very hard to create this wonderful restaurant from scratch. I knew and respected her tremendously. A loss beyond words.

80. Ana Anderson Ana Anderson says:

I can’t believe this news. Maria may you RIP, we will miss your smiling face.

81. Pablo Tovar Pablo Tovar says:

Oh no they gave me my first job when I turned 16 I would have never thought anything like this would have happend

82. Penny Bender :-( did you see this?

83. Betis Brg Betis Brg says:

Oh wow so sad ! We went to eat last week my husband & I .
    Mis condolencias para toda
    La Familia Lo sentimos mucho Descanse en paz …..

84. How sad. My condolences to the family.

85. Britney Lois Britney Lois says:

LaDayzia Renae Janae’ LaNique look yall

86. Maria Smith Maria Smith says:

This is sad 😭 both my husband & I knew Jose & Maria so very well… our condolences to the family also our prayers are with you Jose. Maria you will be missed 💖💖💖

87. Penny Bender Penny Bender says:

Utter shock!😔😔

88. Megan Lewis Megan Lewis says:

Katherine Farr Thorpe

89. Emma Rose Emma Rose says:

Rachel Blankenship Eduardo Godinez Linda Seifert Hazeski wtf

90. Do Rah Do Rah says:

Elia Escobedo-Correa isn’t this where you have your events??

91. Nicole Llere Nicole Llere says:

Kelly Johnson Bickford omg!

92. Camron Keener made me think of you, I know your family loves that place as much as mine. Super sad

93. Daisy Amaya Daisy Amaya says:

This is just so sad…

94. She was so kind. We love going to Margarita’s and will surely miss her presence 😔

95. So sad my prayers are with you all..

96. How terrible. We have known them since back in The Fundangos days, they are such great people.

97. My deepest condolences. Prayers

98. So tragic!! They have always been so friendly.

99. This is so devestating for sure.

100. Really sad! I met her very nice lady

101. Shocking! 💗to the family.

102. Liz Alvarado Liz Alvarado says:

My condolences to the Family. We love the staff at Margarita’s. May God grant you peace and understanding during this difficult time. 🙏🏼

103. Asha Kakonde Asha Kakonde says:

Donjay KakondeDiva Kakonde🙁

104. A very sweet human being! May she rest in peace! My condolences to the family!

105. Ricki Lieberman and Family says:

We are so sorry! May Maria rest in peace! We have had many wonderful meals with all our friends at Margaritas Grill. Years of coming through the doors and being greeted by the entire Margarita Family! Our hearts and prayers are with you 😘😘😘😘😘

106. Another sad story in Santa Clarita.

107. Chinkie Paye Chinkie Paye says:

😔😭💔🙏oh Maria , I’m so sorry your no longer here with us . God bless you RIP and God bless & comfort your husband Jose & all the family . Antonia

108. Muy triste situación no hay palabras para describir ….

109. Karen Clark Karen Clark says:

Love this restaurant. My condolences to the family. 🙏

110. Betty Arguellez Ray Arguellez Richard Arguellez

111. Lisa Cruz Lisa Cruz says:

Prayers to the husband and rest of his family. How can a child kill one of his own parents.

112. God bless this family.

113. So very sorry for the family.

114. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

So very sad to hear about this. Sounds like the son was troubled 😟 just heartbreaking

115. Very sad😢 She was always so friendly and welcoming at her restaurant. I pray for the family.

116. So very heartbreaking. ..

117. RIP Maria a wonderful kind person My condolences to the family

118. Sooo sad…. Sick people in this crazy world.

119. Woah…. Chandra Neal we were just there and I think she helped us 😬

120. Rosy Martin Rosy Martin says:

This break my heart!!! Maria, you will always be in my heart ❤️!!!!

121. Kathy Horgan Kathy Horgan says:

Geez how tragic. Prayers for the family!!!

122. No this is just….. No

123. We were at Margaritas on Monday around 5pm. The place was dark and solemn without her there. I didn’t know this had happened. My condolences to the family and staff. God bless her🙏🏻

124. So very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you all, God be with you all

125. Paula Carrasco says:

My heart is broken for my dear friends. I have no words but I do have lots of prayers. I send all my love to José and his family.

126. Yecenia Currie did you see this? 😞

127. Prayers for the family. RIP Maria

128. Carmen Celis Carmen Celis says:

Ellos le dieron el primer trabajo a mi hija mi sentido pésame para toda la familia 😢que dios le de descanso eterno a dońa maria 🙏

129. Rena Tarrant Rena Tarrant says:

So sad prayers for her husband and family

130. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

Annamarie Rewal Glen Rewal

131. So sad … Tragic … Prayers go out to the family ….

132. Chandra Neal Chandra Neal says:

Cheryl Dlhos Pesterfield can you believe this?

133. So sad, we used to go to the restaurant all he time when we lived there. Prayers to all involved.

134. Sad deal. Super nice people.

135. Wendy White Wendy White says:

Didn’t this just open like a month ago?

136. Such a beautiful lady, so very sad. Sending prayers to family & friends ❤️

137. Miriam Sánchez says:

Wow! This is very sad! I have been there many times. What a terrible loss. My condolences to her family.

138. Oh my Lord, prayers for them. What a horrible story.

• Ted Ebert Ted Ebert says:

I can’t believe this. She was such a sweet woman that always made going to her restaurant such a pleasure. She deserves justice!!! Eye for an eye

139. This is just too close to home! So sad! Prayers going out to family and friends!

140. So sad 😭 I’ve noticed this is the only publication claiming he was booked for murder no other news media outlet is

141. Praying for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.

142. So sad to hear that you’re gone now. Our Condolences to the family of Mrs Maria , May God bless your beautiful soul & may you Rest In Peace. You are Wonderful woman , we love coming to their place 🌹 & you’ll be missed 🌹🌹🌹

143. So, sad, praying for the families

144. Elisa Aguilar Matt Moreno

145. Paqui Cuevas Paqui Cuevas says:

😓😓oh no!!👎🏻 it’s so sad 😭 I can’t believe my condolences to the family….what’s wrong.?? Why??the Bible says in the last days children rebel against parents.. I’m so sorry 😐 is very sad GOD bless everyone 🙏🙏

146. Very sad :( Rest in peace. Prayers for the family.

147. Clara De Leon Crispi Charlie

148. To close to home. So sad

149. OMG! That’s mine n my son’s fav Mexican place. We were just there last Friday. My condolences to the family and what a tragedy : (

150. Lorena Avila Lorena Avila says:

José no lo puedo creer 😱OMG ! Que Dios bendiga a ti a tu familia 😰

151. Carlynn Kundert Weller Randy WellerShea Roldan this is where we went for Colton’s bday. So sad

152. Maria Evans Maria Evans says:

So sorry for your loss.
    Praying for the family.

153. Mary Finch says:

Back in 2002 I worked next door to Margaritas, many of my coworkers, including myself would go in this place. I came to know Maria and the lovely person she was. She would always greet me with her warm and friendly smile. I can’t wrap around my head around the fact she is gone and the tragic way her life ended!! I don’t know what could have caused this to happen and if it could have been prevented, however, she is gone and the loss has had a very sad and dark impact on me. If I feel this loss so deeply, I can’t begin to imagine what her family, friends and co-workers are going through! My heart goes out to those close to her and especially, to her immediate family!!

154. Marty Thompson says:

May god be with you i am saddened

Related Content
Saturday, Jan 21, 2017
Sons of the San Joaquin Release Final Album Ahead of 2017 Festival
Western music fans shouldn’t be terribly surprised if 2017 Cowboy Festival marks the last time they can catch the three-part harmonies of Sons of the San Joaquin in Santa Clarita.
Friday, Jan 20, 2017
Human Remains Found in Agua Dulce Identified
Medical examiners identified a man whose body was found on Christmas Day near Agua Dulce.
Friday, Jan 20, 2017
Plane Crash Victim Identified
Coroner’s officials identified the sole victim of a Lake Hughes plane crash Friday.

Sons of the San Joaquin Release Final Album Ahead of 2017 Festival
1914 - Signal newspaper owner-editor Scott Newhall born in San Francisco [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, an overnight and early morning storm caused flooding, downed trees, and accidents throughout SCV Friday. Plus, the sole victim of a plane crash in Lake Hughes has been identified. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, January 20, 2017
News and views from College of the Canyons.
News from COC: The Bottom Line, Winter 2016/17
A series of storms is sweeping through Los Angeles County, with the final and strongest one predicted to affect the area late Saturday night through Monday. The combined rainfall totals for all three storms could be 3.00-6.00” for coastal and valley areas, with up to 9.00” possible in some foothill and mountain areas. Potential impacts include flash flooding and debris flows for recent burn areas, rock and mudslides along canyon roads, urban and small stream flooding, significant travel delays, isolated power outages, and dangerous driving conditions.
L.A. County Braces for a Series of Storms
Human Remains Found in Agua Dulce Identified
Parents and students will be offered information about healthy study habits and managing mental health at the William S. Hart Union High School District’s Parent and Student Empowerment (PASE) Information Night.
Hart District to Discuss Mental Health, Study Habits
Plane Crash Victim Identified
10 Things to Expect at Thursdays @ Newhall
10 Things to Expect at Thursdays @ Newhall
On Tuesday, February 7 at 7:00 P.M, Trinity Classical Academy’s Speaker Series welcomes Dr. Hugh Ross, PhD, astronomer, best-selling author, and Founder of Reason To Believe.
Feb. 7: Trinity Classical Academy’s Speaker Series
The Board of Supervisors has appointed Dr. Christopher Rogers to the position of Acting Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner, effective Friday.
County Names New Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner
The California High-Speed Rail Authority will be hosting five community open house meetings in the Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section starting next Saturday, January 28 in Rosamond.
California High-Speed Rail Authority to Host Public Meetings
Valencia High School students take honors at 2017 Socal Career Development Conference.
VHS Students Take Honors at Socal Career Development Conference
Princess Cruises received top honors in USA TODAY’s 10Best Readers’ Choice travel awards, being named “Best Ocean Cruise Line” after the cruise line was nominated by cruise industry experts and ultimately voted on by USA TODAY readers. In addition, Princess Cruises was recognized for “Best Cruise Ship Entertainment,” “Best Cruise Ship Dining” and “Best Cruise Ship for Families.”
Princess Cruises Named in USA TODAY’s 10Best Readers’ Choice
Assemblyman Dante Acosta, R-Santa Clarita, has announced his committee appointments including his selection to serve as Vice Chair of the Committee on Natural Resources.
Acosta Named to Several Committees
Two senior al-Qaida operatives were killed recently in separate U.S. airstrikes in Syria, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in two statements.
Two al-Qaida Operatives Killed in Syria
In anticipation of a more severe storm on Sunday, Bouquet Canyon Road is scheduled to be closed between the gates at 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 22, until conditions and inspection allow.
County Closes Some Canyon Roads Due to Storm
The County Interim Health Officer is extending a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
Jan. 20- 24: Cold Weather Alert Issued
The California Transportation Commission (CTC) has adopted 49 projects, valued at more than $127 million, to support needed upkeep on California’s aging roads and bridges, make upgrades to transit and rail systems and encourage use of alternative forms of transportation, including biking and walking.
Caltrans Adopts 49 Projects Worth $127 Million
It finally happened. The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus is closing very shortly.  There's nothing to fear over losing this circus because another is actively swelling to massive proportions. Hysteria and annihilation are the main attractions. It's the Left's Circus over the duly elected Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States of America.
The new circus in town
Twelve Golden Valley High School students and two teachers made the trip to Washington D.C. to watch the inauguration of Donald Trump as the United States of America’s 45th President.
GVHS Students in D.C. to Witness Inauguration
A flash flood warning has been issued for the Santa Clarita Valley. Residents living in recent burn areas, especially the Sand Fire burn area, take precautions to avoid mudslides and flooding.
Jan. 20: Flash Flood Warning In Effect for SCV
Newhall Crime and Public Safety Report for Week of 01/09/17- 01/15/17
Crime Blotter: Petty Theft, Grand Theft in Newhall
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station will host the fifteenth Sheriff’s Community Academy beginning February 28, 2017.
Submit Application to Upcoming SCV Sheriff Community Academy
Newhall Crime and Public Safety Report for Week of 01/09/17- 01/15/17
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft in Newhall
1993 - Hart High grad Dee Dee Myers (1979) becomes first female White House press secretary [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Supervisor Kathryn Barger is proposing a motion to establish a $20,000 reward for information about the suspect responsible for a fatal hit-and-run. Plus, a new event for the 2017 Cowboy Festival lineup. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, January 19, 2017
The Board of Supervisors will be asked to approve a motion by Supervisor Kathryn Barger establishing a $20,0000 reward for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of a suspect or suspects responsible for the hit-and-run death of a 15 year-old girl in Canyon Country.
Reward Offered in Hit-And-Run Death of Canyon Country Girl
The public is invited to participate in a stakeholder forum to learn about the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act and provide input regarding the formation of a Groundwater Sustainability Agency for the Santa Clara River Valley East Subbasin, which underlies most of the Santa Clarita Valley.
Jan. 24: Sustainable Groundwater Management Act Meeting
With the interest being generated by the 2017 Presidential Inauguration, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has committed resources to ensuring a state of readiness and preparedness. Although we anticipate many will express their views and opinions of the democratic process, we DO NOT have any specific or credible information indicating that any areas of Los Angeles County will substantially affected or disrupted.
Sheriff Ready for Inauguration Day Protests
Officials with the Coroner’s Office have released the identity of a woman killed in a fatal crash off Kelly Johnson Parkway.
Victim of Fatal Crash Near Walmart Identified
As the council wanted to appoint someone anyway, why not appoint the candidate who came in next place in the election?
Human Nature 101
The 2017 USA Swimming Open Water National Championships (featuring stand-alone Junior National Championships for the first time) are slated for May 19 through 21 at Castaic Lake.
May 19-21: Open Water Nationals Returns to Castaic Lake
VIA is hosting its 2017 Employment Law Update, presented by Brian Koegle and David Poole of Poole & Shaffery, LLP on Tuesday, February 21.
Feb. 21: 2017 Employment Law Update
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission is accepting applications from organizations seeking support for music programming at their facility or designated location.
March 1: Submit Application for ‘Free Concerts in Public Sites’ Program