SCVNews.com | Co-Owner of Margarita’s Grill Found Dead; Son Booked for Murder | 10-03-2016
Partly sunny
Partly sunny

March 26
1821 - SCV (with the rest of Alta Calif.) becomes territory of Mexico during war for Mexican independence from Spain [story]

| Monday, Oct 3, 2016
josemarialucatero
Jose and Maria Lucatero, owners of Margarita's Mexican Grill in Valencia, are seen here with their award this year from SCV Elite Magazine for the best margarita in town. Photo: Margarita's Mexican Grill.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials have identified a Saugus murder victim as Maria Lucatero, 56.

Lucatero’s body was discovered  by her husband shortly after 1 p.m. Monday in their Saugus home in the 19500 block of Castille Lane. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper torso and was pronounced dead upon arrival of emergency responders.

Their couple’s son, Jesse Lucatero, 24, was detained for questioning and eventually arrested on suspicion of murder Monday night. He is being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station in lieu of $2 million bail.

According to published news reports, relatives said Jesse Lucatero suffers from mental illness.

Maria and husband Jose Lucatero are the owners of Margarita’s Mexican Grill in Valencia.

“We are so sorry to announce we lost one of our own today,” restaurant employees said on the business’ Facebook page. “The one who taught us hard work and respect pays off. Our beloved boss, bronze and brains behind the operations, chef, mother, CEO, wife, aunt, guardian, boss lady. RIP Maria!”

187_100316

1. Near Fire Station off Plum Canyon

2. Did you see the one about the mail too!! I reposted!!

3. That explains the helicopter

4. The helicopters are flying for a while now… hope they find what they are looking for

5. I just drove over to the area and it’s all roped off with new stations police helicopters not good

6. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

Very sad, pray for this family.

7. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

NickandShannon Frankina

8. Mahsa Motavvef this is next door to us

9. Stacy Brown Stacy Brown says:

Where is this exactly?

10. Michele Aloe Michele Aloe says:

Prayers for this family during this difficult time.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

11. Prayers for the family 🙏🏽

12. Carol Hughes Carol Hughes says:

Sending prayers!🙏🏻🙏🏻

13. So sad! Sending prayers!
    Sis Laiza Boone Ronald Boone close to your place.

14. It was the owner of margaritas in Valencia

15. My prayers for the family. I knew Maria only as a great hostess, wonderful business owner and community partner. All of SCV mourns with the family.

16. Horrible, praying for the family…

17. Wen Ren Wen Ren says:

Oh my. Prayers for the family as well as the community. RIP Maria

18. This is horrible! My condolences to Maria’s family and extended family at Margaritas…

19. My condolences to the Lucatero family.

20. Lo siento mucho Johnny, Jeff, Jose y el resto de la familia. Les deseo pronta resignacion.

21. Cuando estaba chica, yo le pedía a mi papa que me compara un carro “como el de Maria, un solara convertible”. .. my condolences Lucatero family. Que dios les de fuerza para perdonar y el tiempo para sanar.

22. Blanca Arciga isn’t this where Gloria work? Was this her sister?

23. Jorge A RodriguezRealtor

24. MarisolMarisol ayi es a donde vas

25. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

RIP María and prayers to this family

26. Deepest condolences & prayers to all.

27. Very sad. We have gone there many times. They have both greeted us and were very welcoming. So so sad. Prayers for the family

28. Kata Ford my heart is so sad!! 😢

29. No hay palabras de consuelo para tanto dolor solo el tiempo nos ayuda a sanarun abrazo jose y gladys hoyos

30. Carey-Ann Duran-Liptow

31. Lisa Sweet-Graham Nena Marquez Ochwatt

32. This is beyond heartbreaking…May God comfort the family at this time, including the son…This is something that poor boy has to live with for the rest of his life…

33. Sandy Fisher Sandy Fisher says:

My prayers are with Jose and his family. Maria and Jose have always been so welcoming whenever my family went to dine at Margarita’s. Such a tragic loss.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

This is so sad. Best Mexican food in SCV

35. The first restaurant we ate at after we first moved to Santa Clarita. Very tragic, so sorry for the family.

36. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

God bless your family. Our condolences.

37. Prayers for everyone involved. May God give you the strength to help you through this difficult time. 🙏🙏🙏

38. Oh no!! 😢 sending my prayers to the family. She was such a nice lady. So sorry for your loss🙏

39. Kyle Adler….remember them from taekwondo?!??

40. Joe Garel, Chelsea Cross Wilson, Val Bruyere

41. So terrible. Sad news.
    Or condolences to the family

42. Lety Diaz Lety Diaz says:

So sad prayers send to the family

43. Jonathan Colbert damn

44. Praying for the entire Margarita’s family. They have always been so kind and welcoming. What a tragedy. 😢

45. Wendy Chavarria Salcedo. This is so sad.

46. Gwen Kaye Gwen Kaye says:

My prayers are with the family.

47. So sad. Bless Jose and RIP, Maria.

48. This is so sad and devastating ! My prayers to you Jose and your family!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

49. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

Awww, Sending prayers to the family. So very sad.

50. Melissa Parsons Barnes Savanna Claiborne Alexis Claiborne

51. Heart breaking, wonderful lady taken too soon. Prayers for the family! Maria you will be missed!

52. Always so sweet and welcoming. What a loss.

53. Pérez Julio Pérez Julio says:

Araceli Martinez Lupiss Islas Susy Aguilar Stellin

54. Timothy Burks did you see this?

55. Mariza Scoglio Napoli did you know them?

56. So sorry to hear this. So tragic. Her poor family.

57. So sad.. Prayers to the family may they find peace in days to come.

58. So sorry for your loss 😢 We’ve eaten there many times and they were always welcoming . Our condolences and prayers are with the family 🙏❤️

59. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

Vickie Frankina NickandShannon Frankina

60. Suzie Acosta 😌😌😌

61. My prayers to the family, mental illness is a terrible thing😞
    May she RIP

62. SAD!! Maria was one of the nicest person. Prayers from The Champion Family.

63. I just saw her walking at Central Park last week!! 🙏 such a lovely person!! 💔

64. So sad!!! How horrible!!! Praying for family.

65. Van Ha Van Ha says:

At first I would have never put the 2 incidents together but it’s this is shocking and sad.

66. I as thinking about them all night last night. So sad.

67. One of our favorite places to eat. Maria was so gracious and welcoming — the ultimate hostess. Her death is a real tragedy.

68. Lois Mikos Lois Mikos says:

So awful and sad😢

69. Roberto Leo Roberto Leo says:

Keri Leo Ken Jeffris

70. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to this wonderful family.

71. It’s so sad because I always recall the son taking our order and he always was so friendly but at the same time sketchy …Maria seemed like such a nice lady

72. Kyle McGraw weren’t you friends with him?

73. Rosie Donato Rosie Donato says:

Jose and Gloria my prayers are with you and cannot imagine something so awful God bless my prayers are with you🙏👼

74. Armando Jimenez Deborah Jimenez oh no!!!! Praying for this family!

75. We are both shocked and saddened to hear this news. Our heartfelt prayers are with our friends ar Margarita’s.

76. Jonathan Brutsche oh no! This is the place I wanted to go to😣

77. Bernt Powell Bernt Powell says:

Rob PowellShirl Powell

78. Myrna Jimenez-Parra did you see this? How sad :( She was so nice and welcoming from what I remember…prayers going out to their family..

79. Denny NNWofLA says:

Maria was kind and compassionate, a loving wife and mother. She worked so very hard to create this wonderful restaurant from scratch. I knew and respected her tremendously. A loss beyond words.

80. Ana Anderson Ana Anderson says:

I can’t believe this news. Maria may you RIP, we will miss your smiling face.

81. Pablo Tovar Pablo Tovar says:

Oh no they gave me my first job when I turned 16 I would have never thought anything like this would have happend

82. Penny Bender :-( did you see this?

83. Betis Brg Betis Brg says:

Oh wow so sad ! We went to eat last week my husband & I .
    Mis condolencias para toda
    La Familia Lo sentimos mucho Descanse en paz …..

84. How sad. My condolences to the family.

85. Britney Lois Britney Lois says:

LaDayzia Renae Janae’ LaNique look yall

86. Maria Smith Maria Smith says:

This is sad 😭 both my husband & I knew Jose & Maria so very well… our condolences to the family also our prayers are with you Jose. Maria you will be missed 💖💖💖

87. Penny Bender Penny Bender says:

Utter shock!😔😔

88. Megan Lewis Megan Lewis says:

Katherine Farr Thorpe

89. Emma Rose Emma Rose says:

Rachel Blankenship Eduardo Godinez Linda Seifert Hazeski wtf

90. Do Rah Do Rah says:

Elia Escobedo-Correa isn’t this where you have your events??

91. Nicole Llere Nicole Llere says:

Kelly Johnson Bickford omg!

92. Camron Keener made me think of you, I know your family loves that place as much as mine. Super sad

93. Daisy Amaya Daisy Amaya says:

This is just so sad…

94. She was so kind. We love going to Margarita’s and will surely miss her presence 😔

95. So sad my prayers are with you all..

96. How terrible. We have known them since back in The Fundangos days, they are such great people.

97. My deepest condolences. Prayers

98. So tragic!! They have always been so friendly.

99. This is so devestating for sure.

100. Really sad! I met her very nice lady

101. Shocking! 💗to the family.

102. Liz Alvarado Liz Alvarado says:

My condolences to the Family. We love the staff at Margarita’s. May God grant you peace and understanding during this difficult time. 🙏🏼

103. Asha Kakonde Asha Kakonde says:

Donjay KakondeDiva Kakonde🙁

104. A very sweet human being! May she rest in peace! My condolences to the family!

105. Ricki Lieberman and Family says:

We are so sorry! May Maria rest in peace! We have had many wonderful meals with all our friends at Margaritas Grill. Years of coming through the doors and being greeted by the entire Margarita Family! Our hearts and prayers are with you 😘😘😘😘😘

106. Another sad story in Santa Clarita.

107. Chinkie Paye Chinkie Paye says:

😔😭💔🙏oh Maria , I’m so sorry your no longer here with us . God bless you RIP and God bless & comfort your husband Jose & all the family . Antonia

108. Muy triste situación no hay palabras para describir ….

109. Karen Clark Karen Clark says:

Love this restaurant. My condolences to the family. 🙏

110. Betty Arguellez Ray Arguellez Richard Arguellez

111. Lisa Cruz Lisa Cruz says:

Prayers to the husband and rest of his family. How can a child kill one of his own parents.

112. God bless this family.

113. So very sorry for the family.

114. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

So very sad to hear about this. Sounds like the son was troubled 😟 just heartbreaking

115. Very sad😢 She was always so friendly and welcoming at her restaurant. I pray for the family.

116. So very heartbreaking. ..

117. RIP Maria a wonderful kind person My condolences to the family

118. Sooo sad…. Sick people in this crazy world.

119. Woah…. Chandra Neal we were just there and I think she helped us 😬

120. Rosy Martin Rosy Martin says:

This break my heart!!! Maria, you will always be in my heart ❤️!!!!

121. Kathy Horgan Kathy Horgan says:

Geez how tragic. Prayers for the family!!!

122. No this is just….. No

123. We were at Margaritas on Monday around 5pm. The place was dark and solemn without her there. I didn’t know this had happened. My condolences to the family and staff. God bless her🙏🏻

124. So very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you all, God be with you all

125. Paula Carrasco says:

My heart is broken for my dear friends. I have no words but I do have lots of prayers. I send all my love to José and his family.

126. Yecenia Currie did you see this? 😞

127. Prayers for the family. RIP Maria

128. Carmen Celis Carmen Celis says:

Ellos le dieron el primer trabajo a mi hija mi sentido pésame para toda la familia 😢que dios le de descanso eterno a dońa maria 🙏

129. Rena Tarrant Rena Tarrant says:

So sad prayers for her husband and family

130. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

Annamarie Rewal Glen Rewal

131. So sad … Tragic … Prayers go out to the family ….

132. Chandra Neal Chandra Neal says:

Cheryl Dlhos Pesterfield can you believe this?

133. So sad, we used to go to the restaurant all he time when we lived there. Prayers to all involved.

134. Sad deal. Super nice people.

135. Wendy White Wendy White says:

Didn’t this just open like a month ago?

136. Such a beautiful lady, so very sad. Sending prayers to family & friends ❤️

137. Miriam Sánchez says:

Wow! This is very sad! I have been there many times. What a terrible loss. My condolences to her family.

138. Oh my Lord, prayers for them. What a horrible story.

• Ted Ebert Ted Ebert says:

I can’t believe this. She was such a sweet woman that always made going to her restaurant such a pleasure. She deserves justice!!! Eye for an eye

139. This is just too close to home! So sad! Prayers going out to family and friends!

140. So sad 😭 I’ve noticed this is the only publication claiming he was booked for murder no other news media outlet is

141. Praying for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.

142. So sad to hear that you’re gone now. Our Condolences to the family of Mrs Maria , May God bless your beautiful soul & may you Rest In Peace. You are Wonderful woman , we love coming to their place 🌹 & you’ll be missed 🌹🌹🌹

143. So, sad, praying for the families

144. Elisa Aguilar Matt Moreno

145. Paqui Cuevas Paqui Cuevas says:

😓😓oh no!!👎🏻 it’s so sad 😭 I can’t believe my condolences to the family….what’s wrong.?? Why??the Bible says in the last days children rebel against parents.. I’m so sorry 😐 is very sad GOD bless everyone 🙏🙏

146. Very sad :( Rest in peace. Prayers for the family.

147. Clara De Leon Crispi Charlie

148. To close to home. So sad

149. OMG! That’s mine n my son’s fav Mexican place. We were just there last Friday. My condolences to the family and what a tragedy : (

150. Lorena Avila Lorena Avila says:

José no lo puedo creer 😱OMG ! Que Dios bendiga a ti a tu familia 😰

151. Carlynn Kundert Weller Randy WellerShea Roldan this is where we went for Colton’s bday. So sad

152. Maria Evans Maria Evans says:

So sorry for your loss.
    Praying for the family.

153. Mary Finch says:

Back in 2002 I worked next door to Margaritas, many of my coworkers, including myself would go in this place. I came to know Maria and the lovely person she was. She would always greet me with her warm and friendly smile. I can’t wrap around my head around the fact she is gone and the tragic way her life ended!! I don’t know what could have caused this to happen and if it could have been prevented, however, she is gone and the loss has had a very sad and dark impact on me. If I feel this loss so deeply, I can’t begin to imagine what her family, friends and co-workers are going through! My heart goes out to those close to her and especially, to her immediate family!!

154. Marty Thompson says:

May god be with you i am saddened

Related Content
Friday, Mar 24, 2017
Anonymous Tip Leads to Arrest of Stolen Vehicle Suspect
An anonymous tip to L.A. Crime Stoppers led to a stolen vehicle arrest Thursday night, deputies said.
Friday, Mar 24, 2017
Crime Blotter: Petty Theft, Vehicle Theft in Castaic, Val Verde
Castaic/Val Verde Crime Report: Week of March 13, 2017- March 19, 2017
Friday, Mar 24, 2017
Crime Blotter: Vehicle Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
Stevenson Ranch Crime Report: Week of 03/13/17 to 03/19/17

1889 - Castaic School District established [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, an anonymous tipster helped lead deputies to a stolen vehicle arrest. Plus, some junior high students got to try their hand at welding. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, March 24, 2017
The New Heights panel for May will discuss how to build a home studio at a free panel discussion on Wednesday, May 3, 2017 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The Centre.
May 3: New Heights to Discuss Setting Up a Home Studio
As Tax Day nears, many seniors may get calls or emails from people identifying themselves as Internal Revenue Service or Franchise Tax Board agents – but, in reality, they are crooks looking to make a quick buck.
Seniors Beware: That’s Not the Taxman on The Phone
Anonymous Tip Leads to Arrest of Stolen Vehicle Suspect
California Credit Union has partnered with four school districts in the Santa Clarita Valley in a new “4th Grade Book Buy Program” aimed at encouraging young readers. Through the program, California Credit Union donated 900 books to 36 public elementary schools in the Castaic Union School District, Newhall School District, Saugus Union School District, and Sulphur Springs School District.
California Credit Union, SCV School Districts Partner for 4th Grade Book Buy Program
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is very proud of one of LASD's own, Ms. Sandra R. Enslow, our Graphic Arts Coordinator and Lead Forensic Artist.
LASD Employee Wins American Academy of Forensic Sciences Field Award
More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year to poison centers across the United States, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Half of those calls involve children under 6 years old.
Five Ways to Protect your Child from Household Poisons
“Dust,” a collection of Western-themed large scale paintings by contemporary, figurative painter Jorin Bossen, will be on display in the gallery at The MAIN in Old Town Newhall starting Tuesday, April 4, 2017.
‘Dust,’ a Western Themed Art Exhibit, Comes to Old Town Newhall
Castaic/Val Verde Crime Report: Week of March 13, 2017- March 19, 2017
Crime Blotter: Petty Theft, Vehicle Theft in Castaic, Val Verde
Stevenson Ranch Crime Report: Week of 03/13/17 to 03/19/17
Crime Blotter: Vehicle Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
The ACA woes are long-standing and obvious, and addressing them is long overdue. Both political parties need to face reality and unite for corrections. Democrats offer nothing but criticism and fright, while some recalcitrant Republicans obsess with killing the ACA immediately. Both are foolish.
ObamaScare | Commentary by Betty Arenson
1922 - Wyatt Earp's wife thanks William S. Hart for defending her husband's honor [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a Castaic man accused of domestic violence and murder against his wife has pleaded guilty.. Plus, Castaic Union School District is looking for new members for the Measure QS Citizens Oversight Committee.. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, March 23, 2017
At this New Heights Workshop, digital market expert, Sheri Candler, will walk filmmakers through the important process of audience identification with emphasis on where to find an audience (both online and offline) and the key tools available to filmmakers to capture their audience’s attention and compel that audience to watch their film.
April 12: New Heights Workshop to Focus on Marketing Tips for Indie Filmmakers
Castaic resident Amy Juico had the lucky ticket Wednesday night that won her a brand new 2017 Chevy Cruze LT from AutoNation Chevrolet Valencia.
Castaic Woman Wins ‘WiSH’ Car from AutoNation
Retirees ages 62 and older or those looking to retire soon, are invited by the American Family Funding, a division of American Pacific Mortgage Corporation, to dine and be apart of a workshop where they can learn how a reverse mortgage can provide access to home equity without the monthly payments.
Discovering Reverse Mortgage for Homes of the Elderly
Shiver me timbers, be ready to set sail for Bunco Hidden Treasures on Saturday, April 1: bring your matey and enjoy an exciting afternoon of Bunco, snacks and a raffle at the The Centre in Santa Clarita.
April 1: Special Olympics Hosts Pirate Themed Bunco Tournament
Valencia's very own Flyers Jr. A Hockey Team, once again had a successful end to the league, by remaining at the top with a 40-9-3 record that is good enough for fourth place in the league and the second place in the whole western division.
Free Admission Offered for Valencia Flyers Jr. Hockey Playoff Game
A Castaic man accused of domestic violence and murder in a deadly attack against his wife pleaded guilty, an official with the District Attorney’s Office reported Thursday.
Castaic Man Accused of Domestic Violence, Murder Takes Plea Deal
NorthPark Community Church will be hosting a variety of events for the week leading up to Easter Sunday.
NorthPark Community Church Hosts Easter Events
Representative Steve Knight (CA-25) introduced a bipartisan bill on Wednesday that would assist women start and grow their own small businesses. This legislation would improve federal program for female small business owners.
Knight Authors Bill to Support Women Entrepreneurs
Disabled veteran-owned businesses have had a $250,000 cap when bidding for California contracts through a streamlined bidding process, weakening their ability to compete with their big business counterparts.
Acosta Introduces Bill to Help Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses
The single-family home median price for the Santa Clarita Valley in February came in at $535,000, up 0.9 percent from 12 months ago and off 4.5 percent from January’s median of $560,000.
Single-Family Home Prices Rise Almost 1 Percent Compared to Last Year
Many flowers are pollinated by insects, so there is nothing unusual there for the poppies, which are indeed fertilized by insects. What is more unusual is the kind of insects that play an important part in doing this job. It seems the actual pollinator is...
Poppy Surprises | Commentary by Evelyne Vandersande
1886 - Film director Robert N. Bradbury born in Washington state; launched John Wayne's career in Placerita Canyon [watch]
After a solid start to the year in closed escrow sales, low housing inventory, eroding affordability, and rising interest rates mildly pulled back pending sales on a year-over-year basis in February, the California Association of Realtors said Wednesday.
Calif. Realtors Report Weakest February in 3 Years
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the reward for information leading to the suspect involved in the hit-and-run death of a 15 year old girl has been increased. Plus, job seekers can head out to this upcoming Hiring Fest. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Rio Norte students Emily Yago and Khara Bigham are semi-finalists in the National Scripps Spellebrity Video Contest.
Help Send Rio Norte Students to National Scripps Spelling Bee
The Castaic Union School District is seeking four new members for it’s Measure QS Citizens Oversight Committee.
Castaic USD Seeking New Members for Oversight Committee
No. 10 College of the Canyons split a home doubleheader with Riverside City College on Saturday, winning the first game 14-9 and falling 6-4 in the second affair.
No. 10 Canyons Splits Home Doubleheader with Riverside City College
Children spend too much time in front of a screen and too little time exploring nature and having in fun the great outdoors. That imbalance can contribute to bullying, illness, depression and attention deficits.
April 3: CSUN Lecture to Explore ‘How to Raise a Wild Child’
Medical examiners identified the remains of a woman found dead near Golden Valley Road in early March as a 26 year old Tarzana resident.
Body Found Near Golden Valley in March ID’d
Annual tuition for resident undergraduate students will increase by $270 and will generate $77.5 million in net revenue for student success initiatives including Graduation Initiative 2025.
CSU Trustees Approve Tuition Increase
Despite Trump’s lies, tens of millions will lose insurance, huge premium spikes will hit older and middle-class Americans hard, and low-income children and the disabled will have their health care taken away.
Trumpcare Fails | Commentary by Bryan Caforio