SCVNews.com | Co-Owner of Margarita’s Grill Found Dead; Son Booked for Murder | 10-03-2016
October 23
1888 - 8:15 a.m.: Newhall's luxurious Southern Hotel burns to the ground [story]

| Monday, Oct 3, 2016
Jose and Maria Lucatero, owners of Margarita's Mexican Grill in Valencia, are seen here with their award this year from SCV Elite Magazine for the best margarita in town. Photo: Margarita's Mexican Grill.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials have identified a Saugus murder victim as Maria Lucatero, 56.

Lucatero’s body was discovered  by her husband shortly after 1 p.m. Monday in their Saugus home in the 19500 block of Castille Lane. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper torso and was pronounced dead upon arrival of emergency responders.

Their couple’s son, Jesse Lucatero, 24, was detained for questioning and eventually arrested on suspicion of murder Monday night. He is being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station in lieu of $2 million bail.

According to published news reports, relatives said Jesse Lucatero suffers from mental illness.

Maria and husband Jose Lucatero are the owners of Margarita’s Mexican Grill in Valencia.

“We are so sorry to announce we lost one of our own today,” restaurant employees said on the business’ Facebook page. “The one who taught us hard work and respect pays off. Our beloved boss, bronze and brains behind the operations, chef, mother, CEO, wife, aunt, guardian, boss lady. RIP Maria!”

1. Near Fire Station off Plum Canyon

2. Did you see the one about the mail too!! I reposted!!

3. That explains the helicopter

4. The helicopters are flying for a while now… hope they find what they are looking for

5. I just drove over to the area and it’s all roped off with new stations police helicopters not good

6. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

Very sad, pray for this family.

7. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

NickandShannon Frankina

8. Mahsa Motavvef this is next door to us

9. Stacy Brown Stacy Brown says:

Where is this exactly?

10. Michele Aloe Michele Aloe says:

Prayers for this family during this difficult time.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

11. Prayers for the family 🙏🏽

12. Carol Hughes Carol Hughes says:

Sending prayers!🙏🏻🙏🏻

13. So sad! Sending prayers!
    Sis Laiza Boone Ronald Boone close to your place.

14. It was the owner of margaritas in Valencia

15. My prayers for the family. I knew Maria only as a great hostess, wonderful business owner and community partner. All of SCV mourns with the family.

16. Horrible, praying for the family…

17. Wen Ren Wen Ren says:

Oh my. Prayers for the family as well as the community. RIP Maria

18. This is horrible! My condolences to Maria’s family and extended family at Margaritas…

19. My condolences to the Lucatero family.

20. Lo siento mucho Johnny, Jeff, Jose y el resto de la familia. Les deseo pronta resignacion.

21. Cuando estaba chica, yo le pedía a mi papa que me compara un carro “como el de Maria, un solara convertible”. .. my condolences Lucatero family. Que dios les de fuerza para perdonar y el tiempo para sanar.

22. Blanca Arciga isn’t this where Gloria work? Was this her sister?

23. Jorge A RodriguezRealtor

24. MarisolMarisol ayi es a donde vas

25. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

RIP María and prayers to this family

26. Deepest condolences & prayers to all.

27. Very sad. We have gone there many times. They have both greeted us and were very welcoming. So so sad. Prayers for the family

28. Kata Ford my heart is so sad!! 😢

29. No hay palabras de consuelo para tanto dolor solo el tiempo nos ayuda a sanarun abrazo jose y gladys hoyos

30. Carey-Ann Duran-Liptow

31. Lisa Sweet-Graham Nena Marquez Ochwatt

32. This is beyond heartbreaking…May God comfort the family at this time, including the son…This is something that poor boy has to live with for the rest of his life…

33. Sandy Fisher Sandy Fisher says:

My prayers are with Jose and his family. Maria and Jose have always been so welcoming whenever my family went to dine at Margarita’s. Such a tragic loss.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

This is so sad. Best Mexican food in SCV

35. The first restaurant we ate at after we first moved to Santa Clarita. Very tragic, so sorry for the family.

36. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

God bless your family. Our condolences.

37. Prayers for everyone involved. May God give you the strength to help you through this difficult time. 🙏🙏🙏

38. Oh no!! 😢 sending my prayers to the family. She was such a nice lady. So sorry for your loss🙏

39. Kyle Adler….remember them from taekwondo?!??

40. Joe Garel, Chelsea Cross Wilson, Val Bruyere

41. So terrible. Sad news.
    Or condolences to the family

42. Lety Diaz Lety Diaz says:

So sad prayers send to the family

43. Jonathan Colbert damn

44. Praying for the entire Margarita’s family. They have always been so kind and welcoming. What a tragedy. 😢

45. Wendy Chavarria Salcedo. This is so sad.

46. Gwen Kaye Gwen Kaye says:

My prayers are with the family.

47. So sad. Bless Jose and RIP, Maria.

48. This is so sad and devastating ! My prayers to you Jose and your family!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

49. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

Awww, Sending prayers to the family. So very sad.

50. Melissa Parsons Barnes Savanna Claiborne Alexis Claiborne

51. Heart breaking, wonderful lady taken too soon. Prayers for the family! Maria you will be missed!

52. Always so sweet and welcoming. What a loss.

53. Pérez Julio Pérez Julio says:

Araceli Martinez Lupiss Islas Susy Aguilar Stellin

54. Timothy Burks did you see this?

55. Mariza Scoglio Napoli did you know them?

56. So sorry to hear this. So tragic. Her poor family.

57. So sad.. Prayers to the family may they find peace in days to come.

58. So sorry for your loss 😢 We’ve eaten there many times and they were always welcoming . Our condolences and prayers are with the family 🙏❤️

59. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

Vickie Frankina NickandShannon Frankina

60. Suzie Acosta 😌😌😌

61. My prayers to the family, mental illness is a terrible thing😞
    May she RIP

62. SAD!! Maria was one of the nicest person. Prayers from The Champion Family.

63. I just saw her walking at Central Park last week!! 🙏 such a lovely person!! 💔

64. So sad!!! How horrible!!! Praying for family.

65. Van Ha Van Ha says:

At first I would have never put the 2 incidents together but it’s this is shocking and sad.

66. I as thinking about them all night last night. So sad.

67. One of our favorite places to eat. Maria was so gracious and welcoming — the ultimate hostess. Her death is a real tragedy.

68. Lois Mikos Lois Mikos says:

So awful and sad😢

69. Roberto Leo Roberto Leo says:

Keri Leo Ken Jeffris

70. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to this wonderful family.

71. It’s so sad because I always recall the son taking our order and he always was so friendly but at the same time sketchy …Maria seemed like such a nice lady

72. Kyle McGraw weren’t you friends with him?

73. Rosie Donato Rosie Donato says:

Jose and Gloria my prayers are with you and cannot imagine something so awful God bless my prayers are with you🙏👼

74. Armando Jimenez Deborah Jimenez oh no!!!! Praying for this family!

75. We are both shocked and saddened to hear this news. Our heartfelt prayers are with our friends ar Margarita’s.

76. Jonathan Brutsche oh no! This is the place I wanted to go to😣

77. Bernt Powell Bernt Powell says:

Rob PowellShirl Powell

78. Myrna Jimenez-Parra did you see this? How sad :( She was so nice and welcoming from what I remember…prayers going out to their family..

79. Denny NNWofLA says:

Maria was kind and compassionate, a loving wife and mother. She worked so very hard to create this wonderful restaurant from scratch. I knew and respected her tremendously. A loss beyond words.

80. Ana Anderson Ana Anderson says:

I can’t believe this news. Maria may you RIP, we will miss your smiling face.

81. Pablo Tovar Pablo Tovar says:

Oh no they gave me my first job when I turned 16 I would have never thought anything like this would have happend

82. Penny Bender :-( did you see this?

83. Betis Brg Betis Brg says:

Oh wow so sad ! We went to eat last week my husband & I .
    Mis condolencias para toda
    La Familia Lo sentimos mucho Descanse en paz …..

84. How sad. My condolences to the family.

85. Britney Lois Britney Lois says:

LaDayzia Renae Janae’ LaNique look yall

86. Maria Smith Maria Smith says:

This is sad 😭 both my husband & I knew Jose & Maria so very well… our condolences to the family also our prayers are with you Jose. Maria you will be missed 💖💖💖

87. Penny Bender Penny Bender says:

Utter shock!😔😔

88. Megan Lewis Megan Lewis says:

Katherine Farr Thorpe

89. Emma Rose Emma Rose says:

Rachel Blankenship Eduardo Godinez Linda Seifert Hazeski wtf

90. Do Rah Do Rah says:

Elia Escobedo-Correa isn’t this where you have your events??

91. Nicole Llere Nicole Llere says:

Kelly Johnson Bickford omg!

92. Camron Keener made me think of you, I know your family loves that place as much as mine. Super sad

93. Daisy Amaya Daisy Amaya says:

This is just so sad…

94. She was so kind. We love going to Margarita’s and will surely miss her presence 😔

95. So sad my prayers are with you all..

96. How terrible. We have known them since back in The Fundangos days, they are such great people.

97. My deepest condolences. Prayers

98. So tragic!! They have always been so friendly.

99. This is so devestating for sure.

100. Really sad! I met her very nice lady

101. Shocking! 💗to the family.

102. Liz Alvarado Liz Alvarado says:

My condolences to the Family. We love the staff at Margarita’s. May God grant you peace and understanding during this difficult time. 🙏🏼

103. Asha Kakonde Asha Kakonde says:

Donjay KakondeDiva Kakonde🙁

104. A very sweet human being! May she rest in peace! My condolences to the family!

105. Ricki Lieberman and Family says:

We are so sorry! May Maria rest in peace! We have had many wonderful meals with all our friends at Margaritas Grill. Years of coming through the doors and being greeted by the entire Margarita Family! Our hearts and prayers are with you 😘😘😘😘😘

106. Another sad story in Santa Clarita.

107. Chinkie Paye Chinkie Paye says:

😔😭💔🙏oh Maria , I’m so sorry your no longer here with us . God bless you RIP and God bless & comfort your husband Jose & all the family . Antonia

108. Muy triste situación no hay palabras para describir ….

109. Karen Clark Karen Clark says:

Love this restaurant. My condolences to the family. 🙏

110. Betty Arguellez Ray Arguellez Richard Arguellez

111. Lisa Cruz Lisa Cruz says:

Prayers to the husband and rest of his family. How can a child kill one of his own parents.

112. God bless this family.

113. So very sorry for the family.

114. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

So very sad to hear about this. Sounds like the son was troubled 😟 just heartbreaking

115. Very sad😢 She was always so friendly and welcoming at her restaurant. I pray for the family.

116. So very heartbreaking. ..

117. RIP Maria a wonderful kind person My condolences to the family

118. Sooo sad…. Sick people in this crazy world.

119. Woah…. Chandra Neal we were just there and I think she helped us 😬

120. Rosy Martin Rosy Martin says:

This break my heart!!! Maria, you will always be in my heart ❤️!!!!

121. Kathy Horgan Kathy Horgan says:

Geez how tragic. Prayers for the family!!!

122. No this is just….. No

123. We were at Margaritas on Monday around 5pm. The place was dark and solemn without her there. I didn’t know this had happened. My condolences to the family and staff. God bless her🙏🏻

124. So very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you all, God be with you all

125. Paula Carrasco says:

My heart is broken for my dear friends. I have no words but I do have lots of prayers. I send all my love to José and his family.

126. Yecenia Currie did you see this? 😞

127. Prayers for the family. RIP Maria

128. Carmen Celis Carmen Celis says:

Ellos le dieron el primer trabajo a mi hija mi sentido pésame para toda la familia 😢que dios le de descanso eterno a dońa maria 🙏

129. Rena Tarrant Rena Tarrant says:

So sad prayers for her husband and family

130. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

Annamarie Rewal Glen Rewal

131. So sad … Tragic … Prayers go out to the family ….

132. Chandra Neal Chandra Neal says:

Cheryl Dlhos Pesterfield can you believe this?

133. So sad, we used to go to the restaurant all he time when we lived there. Prayers to all involved.

134. Sad deal. Super nice people.

135. Wendy White Wendy White says:

Didn’t this just open like a month ago?

136. Such a beautiful lady, so very sad. Sending prayers to family & friends ❤️

137. Miriam Sánchez says:

Wow! This is very sad! I have been there many times. What a terrible loss. My condolences to her family.

138. Oh my Lord, prayers for them. What a horrible story.

• Ted Ebert Ted Ebert says:

I can’t believe this. She was such a sweet woman that always made going to her restaurant such a pleasure. She deserves justice!!! Eye for an eye

139. This is just too close to home! So sad! Prayers going out to family and friends!

140. So sad 😭 I’ve noticed this is the only publication claiming he was booked for murder no other news media outlet is

141. Praying for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.

142. So sad to hear that you’re gone now. Our Condolences to the family of Mrs Maria , May God bless your beautiful soul & may you Rest In Peace. You are Wonderful woman , we love coming to their place 🌹 & you’ll be missed 🌹🌹🌹

143. So, sad, praying for the families

144. Elisa Aguilar Matt Moreno

145. Paqui Cuevas Paqui Cuevas says:

😓😓oh no!!👎🏻 it’s so sad 😭 I can’t believe my condolences to the family….what’s wrong.?? Why??the Bible says in the last days children rebel against parents.. I’m so sorry 😐 is very sad GOD bless everyone 🙏🙏

146. Very sad :( Rest in peace. Prayers for the family.

147. Clara De Leon Crispi Charlie

148. To close to home. So sad

149. OMG! That’s mine n my son’s fav Mexican place. We were just there last Friday. My condolences to the family and what a tragedy : (

150. Lorena Avila Lorena Avila says:

José no lo puedo creer 😱OMG ! Que Dios bendiga a ti a tu familia 😰

151. Carlynn Kundert Weller Randy WellerShea Roldan this is where we went for Colton’s bday. So sad

152. Maria Evans Maria Evans says:

So sorry for your loss.
    Praying for the family.

153. Mary Finch says:

Back in 2002 I worked next door to Margaritas, many of my coworkers, including myself would go in this place. I came to know Maria and the lovely person she was. She would always greet me with her warm and friendly smile. I can’t wrap around my head around the fact she is gone and the tragic way her life ended!! I don’t know what could have caused this to happen and if it could have been prevented, however, she is gone and the loss has had a very sad and dark impact on me. If I feel this loss so deeply, I can’t begin to imagine what her family, friends and co-workers are going through! My heart goes out to those close to her and especially, to her immediate family!!

154. Marty Thompson says:

May god be with you i am saddened

Related Content
Friday, Oct 21, 2016
Valencia Resident Tests Positive for West Nile Virus
Six new human infections of West Nile Virus have been reported in the county, including one in Valencia, according to the weekly Los Angeles County Epidemiology Report.
Friday, Oct 21, 2016
Smell Something at Castaic Junction? Gas Co. Working on Local Storage Facility
Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) is performing annual maintenance work at the Honor Rancho Storage Facility in Santa Clarita. As part of this work, which includes a valve replacement and upgrades to dehydration plants and meters, SoCalGas crews will occasionally release natural gas.
Friday, Oct 21, 2016
Clown Scare Prompts Costume Ban in Hart District Schools
The William S. Hart Union High School District has banned clown costumes on school campuses for Halloween due to recent social media scares in the community.

In the spring, I see an increase of people exercising, getting ready for bathing suit weather. Now it’s autumn, and thoughts go to cuddling up on the couch in front of the TV and drinking hot cocoa. But exercise should be an everyday activity, not just in the spring.
Hey, Couch Potato | Commentary by Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel
The Master’s University volleyball team beat the San Diego Christian Hawks in three sets (25-17, 25-12, 25-23) Saturday night in El Cajon.
Volleyball: Lady Mustangs Soar Past Hawks, Improve to 18-9 (10-2)
The men of TMU took care of business Saturday with a 3-0 romp over Menlo, but the Lady Mustangs ended up on the wrong side of a shutout of their own.
Soccer: 2 Shutouts as Menlo Takes on The Master’s
1898 - Birth of Mary S. Ruiz, eldest child of Enrique & Rosaria Ruiz of San Francisquito Canyon; all died in 1928 dam disaster [cemetery census]
Both the men's and women's cross-country teams from The Master’s University earned second-place finishes at the Titan Invitational in Fullerton on Friday.
TMU Men, Women Run to 2nd-Place Finishes in XC Invitational
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Hart District bans clown costumes and the voter registration deadline is almost here. Check out these stories and more tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 21, 2016
Valencia Resident Tests Positive for West Nile Virus
A master plan for trails in the Castaic area is set to go before the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.
Castaic Multi-Use Trails Plan to Go Before County
Smell Something at Castaic Junction? Gas Co. Working on Local Storage Facility
Clown Scare Prompts Costume Ban in Hart District Schools
The California Highway Patrol recognizes Red Ribbon Week, October 23-31, as an excellent opportunity for families to have lifesaving conversations with their children about drug use.
Oct 23-31: Red Ribbon Week Shines Spotlight on Drug Abuse
NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has identified new markings on the surface of the Red Planet that are believed to be related to the European Space Agency's ExoMars Schiaparelli entry, descent and landing technology demonstrator module.
European Mars Lander’s Crash Site Located
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]
The experience of other states such as Colorado and Washington suggests that when medical sales are tax-free, nearly all marijuana users suddenly become patients, even if they are not. The significant loopholes in Proposition 64 mean revenue projections could fall far short of expectations.
Loopholes Could Sink Pot Tax
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board unanimously approved a contract Wednesday night to begin the construction of Castaic High School.
District Awards Contract to Build Castaic High School
The Teacher Curriculum Center (TCC) in California State University, Northridge’s Delmar T. Oviatt Library has long served as a resource center for teachers throughout the region. Last month, the center was renamed after the late Karin J. Duran, who served as the center’s director for 32 years before passing away in 2010.
CSUN Names K-12 Teacher Section of Library for Late Director
The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting cooler, and failure to perform annual maintenance on gas appliances may result in higher gas bills and possible exposure to carbon monoxide, which can cause negative health effects like nausea, drowsiness, flu-like symptoms, and even death.
Ready for Winter? Check Your Furnace Early
The Saugus Union School District announced the appointment of Isa De Armas, Ed.D. to the position of Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction. De Armas, who has been in education for more than 30 years, has worked in the district for 20 years as a teacher, principal and – most recently – as Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
Asst. Superintendent of Instruction Named for Saugus Schools
Carousel Ranch is pleased to announce its annual Carousel Corral-After Auction Exclusives auction. This auction is the final step of the ranch’s Heart of the West fundraising, selling items that came in post deadline, etc.
Bid Now on 2nd Chance Items to Help Carousel Ranch
The Santa Clarita Environmental Education Consortium is a sustainable, public-private initiative sponsored by College of the Canyons, Lockheed Martin, Sempra Energy, SCV Family of Water Suppliers, and other community stakeholders that promotes environmental literacy in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Local Coalition Earns Prize for Environmental Education
It’s officially Halloween time at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. The hospital is inviting supporters and friends in the community to take part in "treating" its young patients by going to CHLA.org/Halloween now through Oct. 31 and creating a special greeting card for the Halloween holiday.
Don’t Trick, Just ‘Treat’ a Children’s Hospital Patient
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan reminds eligible Los Angeles County voters that the deadline to register to vote is Monday, Oct. 24.
Monday is Voter Registration Deadline
In a continued effort to modernize the elections process for the November 8th Presidential General Election, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk will be leveraging geospatial technologies and Snapchat to improve elections operations and promote voter participation.
Registrar Using Mobile Apps to Improve Voter Experience
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a brush fire near Sierra Highway charred one acre before being extinguished. Plus, the William S. Hart District Governing Board awarded a contract to begin the construction of Castaic High School. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, October 20, 2016
Santa Clarita City Council agenda for Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016.
Council Tuesday: City Eyeing Princessa Property
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is reminding everyone six months of age and older to get an annual flu vaccine. Influenza (the flu) vaccinations will be available at no-cost to residents at Public Health Centers, LA County libraries and more than 100 community vaccination events throughout the county.
R U Over 6 Months Old? Get a Flu Shot
Longtime Santa Clarita resident Joy Burkhard, founder and chair of the National Coalition for Maternal Mental Health and founder, executive director and board chair of 2020 Mom was honored Thursday by the U.S. Office of Health & Human Services’ Office of Women’s Health with the 2016 Women’s Health Emerging Leader Award.
SCV-Resident Founder of Nat’l Maternal Mental Health Coalition Honored by HHS
With the start of the 2016-17 season less than a month away, Matador fans will have the opportunity to meet this year's Women's and Men's Basketball teams at the annual Matador Madness event set for Friday, Oct. 21, at 6:30 p.m at The Matadome.
Oct. 21: Meet CSUN Basketball Teams at Matador Madness
On Election Day, California voters will decide on Proposition 64, a ballot initiative that would legalize recreational marijuana use in the state for adults at least 21 years old and tax the production and sale of cannabis.
Voters on Both Coasts to Decide on Recreational Pot
The Master’s University volleyball team beat Arizona Christian University in three sets (25-23, 25-20, 25-10) Thursday evening.
Volleyball: TMU Douses Firestorm in 3 Sets
TMU’s fourth shutout of the season commenced when freshman forward Hannah Bahr (Santa Clarita, CA) scored an unassisted goal from 30 yards out at the 32:51 mark.
Soccer: Lady Mustangs Improve to 8-4-3 with 3-0 Shutout
Two-time All-American Humphrey Mahowa scored two crucial goals in the second half to lead The Master's University past William Jessup 2-1 Thursday afternoon on Reese Field.
Soccer: TMU’s Mahowa Outscores William Jessup 2-1
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced a $925,000 settlement Thursday with auto insurance provider Liberty Mutual Group Inc., for advertising an accident forgiveness program that was not available in California.
Liberty Mutual Settles False Advertising Claim for $925K
A 20-year-old man has been charged with defacing the Venice POW/MIA Mural, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.
2nd Man Charged with Vandalizing Vietnam Vets Wall in Venice
Essential data from the ExoMars Schiaparelli lander sent to its mothership Trace Gas Orbiter during the module’s descent to the Red Planet’s surface [Wednesday] has been downlinked to Earth and is currently being analysed by experts.
European Mars Lander Crashes on Descent