SCVNews.com | Co-Owner of Margarita’s Grill Found Dead; Son Booked for Murder | 10-03-2016
Sunny
Sunny

May 23
1941 - SCV's first real movie house, the American Theater, dedicated in Newhall [story]

| Monday, Oct 3, 2016
josemarialucatero
Jose and Maria Lucatero, owners of Margarita's Mexican Grill in Valencia, are seen here with their award this year from SCV Elite Magazine for the best margarita in town. Photo: Margarita's Mexican Grill.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials have identified a Saugus murder victim as Maria Lucatero, 56.

Lucatero’s body was discovered  by her husband shortly after 1 p.m. Monday in their Saugus home in the 19500 block of Castille Lane. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper torso and was pronounced dead upon arrival of emergency responders.

Their couple’s son, Jesse Lucatero, 24, was detained for questioning and eventually arrested on suspicion of murder Monday night. He is being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station in lieu of $2 million bail.

According to published news reports, relatives said Jesse Lucatero suffers from mental illness.

Maria and husband Jose Lucatero are the owners of Margarita’s Mexican Grill in Valencia.

“We are so sorry to announce we lost one of our own today,” restaurant employees said on the business’ Facebook page. “The one who taught us hard work and respect pays off. Our beloved boss, bronze and brains behind the operations, chef, mother, CEO, wife, aunt, guardian, boss lady. RIP Maria!”

187_100316

1. Near Fire Station off Plum Canyon

2. Did you see the one about the mail too!! I reposted!!

3. That explains the helicopter

4. The helicopters are flying for a while now… hope they find what they are looking for

5. I just drove over to the area and it’s all roped off with new stations police helicopters not good

6. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

Very sad, pray for this family.

7. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

NickandShannon Frankina

8. Mahsa Motavvef this is next door to us

9. Stacy Brown Stacy Brown says:

Where is this exactly?

10. Michele Aloe Michele Aloe says:

Prayers for this family during this difficult time.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

11. Prayers for the family 🙏🏽

12. Carol Hughes Carol Hughes says:

Sending prayers!🙏🏻🙏🏻

13. So sad! Sending prayers!
    Sis Laiza Boone Ronald Boone close to your place.

14. It was the owner of margaritas in Valencia

15. My prayers for the family. I knew Maria only as a great hostess, wonderful business owner and community partner. All of SCV mourns with the family.

16. Horrible, praying for the family…

17. Wen Ren Wen Ren says:

Oh my. Prayers for the family as well as the community. RIP Maria

18. This is horrible! My condolences to Maria’s family and extended family at Margaritas…

19. My condolences to the Lucatero family.

20. Lo siento mucho Johnny, Jeff, Jose y el resto de la familia. Les deseo pronta resignacion.

21. Cuando estaba chica, yo le pedía a mi papa que me compara un carro “como el de Maria, un solara convertible”. .. my condolences Lucatero family. Que dios les de fuerza para perdonar y el tiempo para sanar.

22. Blanca Arciga isn’t this where Gloria work? Was this her sister?

23. Jorge A RodriguezRealtor

24. MarisolMarisol ayi es a donde vas

25. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

RIP María and prayers to this family

26. Deepest condolences & prayers to all.

27. Very sad. We have gone there many times. They have both greeted us and were very welcoming. So so sad. Prayers for the family

28. Kata Ford my heart is so sad!! 😢

29. No hay palabras de consuelo para tanto dolor solo el tiempo nos ayuda a sanarun abrazo jose y gladys hoyos

30. Carey-Ann Duran-Liptow

31. Lisa Sweet-Graham Nena Marquez Ochwatt

32. This is beyond heartbreaking…May God comfort the family at this time, including the son…This is something that poor boy has to live with for the rest of his life…

33. Sandy Fisher Sandy Fisher says:

My prayers are with Jose and his family. Maria and Jose have always been so welcoming whenever my family went to dine at Margarita’s. Such a tragic loss.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

This is so sad. Best Mexican food in SCV

35. The first restaurant we ate at after we first moved to Santa Clarita. Very tragic, so sorry for the family.

36. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

God bless your family. Our condolences.

37. Prayers for everyone involved. May God give you the strength to help you through this difficult time. 🙏🙏🙏

38. Oh no!! 😢 sending my prayers to the family. She was such a nice lady. So sorry for your loss🙏

39. Kyle Adler….remember them from taekwondo?!??

40. Joe Garel, Chelsea Cross Wilson, Val Bruyere

41. So terrible. Sad news.
    Or condolences to the family

42. Lety Diaz Lety Diaz says:

So sad prayers send to the family

43. Jonathan Colbert damn

44. Praying for the entire Margarita’s family. They have always been so kind and welcoming. What a tragedy. 😢

45. Wendy Chavarria Salcedo. This is so sad.

46. Gwen Kaye Gwen Kaye says:

My prayers are with the family.

47. So sad. Bless Jose and RIP, Maria.

48. This is so sad and devastating ! My prayers to you Jose and your family!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

49. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

Awww, Sending prayers to the family. So very sad.

50. Melissa Parsons Barnes Savanna Claiborne Alexis Claiborne

51. Heart breaking, wonderful lady taken too soon. Prayers for the family! Maria you will be missed!

52. Always so sweet and welcoming. What a loss.

53. Pérez Julio Pérez Julio says:

Araceli Martinez Lupiss Islas Susy Aguilar Stellin

54. Timothy Burks did you see this?

55. Mariza Scoglio Napoli did you know them?

56. So sorry to hear this. So tragic. Her poor family.

57. So sad.. Prayers to the family may they find peace in days to come.

58. So sorry for your loss 😢 We’ve eaten there many times and they were always welcoming . Our condolences and prayers are with the family 🙏❤️

59. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

Vickie Frankina NickandShannon Frankina

60. Suzie Acosta 😌😌😌

61. My prayers to the family, mental illness is a terrible thing😞
    May she RIP

62. SAD!! Maria was one of the nicest person. Prayers from The Champion Family.

63. I just saw her walking at Central Park last week!! 🙏 such a lovely person!! 💔

64. So sad!!! How horrible!!! Praying for family.

65. Van Ha Van Ha says:

At first I would have never put the 2 incidents together but it’s this is shocking and sad.

66. I as thinking about them all night last night. So sad.

67. One of our favorite places to eat. Maria was so gracious and welcoming — the ultimate hostess. Her death is a real tragedy.

68. Lois Mikos Lois Mikos says:

So awful and sad😢

69. Roberto Leo Roberto Leo says:

Keri Leo Ken Jeffris

70. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to this wonderful family.

71. It’s so sad because I always recall the son taking our order and he always was so friendly but at the same time sketchy …Maria seemed like such a nice lady

72. Kyle McGraw weren’t you friends with him?

73. Rosie Donato Rosie Donato says:

Jose and Gloria my prayers are with you and cannot imagine something so awful God bless my prayers are with you🙏👼

74. Armando Jimenez Deborah Jimenez oh no!!!! Praying for this family!

75. We are both shocked and saddened to hear this news. Our heartfelt prayers are with our friends ar Margarita’s.

76. Jonathan Brutsche oh no! This is the place I wanted to go to😣

77. Bernt Powell Bernt Powell says:

Rob PowellShirl Powell

78. Myrna Jimenez-Parra did you see this? How sad :( She was so nice and welcoming from what I remember…prayers going out to their family..

79. Denny NNWofLA says:

Maria was kind and compassionate, a loving wife and mother. She worked so very hard to create this wonderful restaurant from scratch. I knew and respected her tremendously. A loss beyond words.

80. Ana Anderson Ana Anderson says:

I can’t believe this news. Maria may you RIP, we will miss your smiling face.

81. Pablo Tovar Pablo Tovar says:

Oh no they gave me my first job when I turned 16 I would have never thought anything like this would have happend

82. Penny Bender :-( did you see this?

83. Betis Brg Betis Brg says:

Oh wow so sad ! We went to eat last week my husband & I .
    Mis condolencias para toda
    La Familia Lo sentimos mucho Descanse en paz …..

84. How sad. My condolences to the family.

85. Britney Lois Britney Lois says:

LaDayzia Renae Janae’ LaNique look yall

86. Maria Smith Maria Smith says:

This is sad 😭 both my husband & I knew Jose & Maria so very well… our condolences to the family also our prayers are with you Jose. Maria you will be missed 💖💖💖

87. Penny Bender Penny Bender says:

Utter shock!😔😔

88. Megan Lewis Megan Lewis says:

Katherine Farr Thorpe

89. Emma Rose Emma Rose says:

Rachel Blankenship Eduardo Godinez Linda Seifert Hazeski wtf

90. Do Rah Do Rah says:

Elia Escobedo-Correa isn’t this where you have your events??

91. Nicole Llere Nicole Llere says:

Kelly Johnson Bickford omg!

92. Camron Keener made me think of you, I know your family loves that place as much as mine. Super sad

93. Daisy Amaya Daisy Amaya says:

This is just so sad…

94. She was so kind. We love going to Margarita’s and will surely miss her presence 😔

95. So sad my prayers are with you all..

96. How terrible. We have known them since back in The Fundangos days, they are such great people.

97. My deepest condolences. Prayers

98. So tragic!! They have always been so friendly.

99. This is so devestating for sure.

100. Really sad! I met her very nice lady

101. Shocking! 💗to the family.

102. Liz Alvarado Liz Alvarado says:

My condolences to the Family. We love the staff at Margarita’s. May God grant you peace and understanding during this difficult time. 🙏🏼

103. Asha Kakonde Asha Kakonde says:

Donjay KakondeDiva Kakonde🙁

104. A very sweet human being! May she rest in peace! My condolences to the family!

105. Ricki Lieberman and Family says:

We are so sorry! May Maria rest in peace! We have had many wonderful meals with all our friends at Margaritas Grill. Years of coming through the doors and being greeted by the entire Margarita Family! Our hearts and prayers are with you 😘😘😘😘😘

106. Another sad story in Santa Clarita.

107. Chinkie Paye Chinkie Paye says:

😔😭💔🙏oh Maria , I’m so sorry your no longer here with us . God bless you RIP and God bless & comfort your husband Jose & all the family . Antonia

108. Muy triste situación no hay palabras para describir ….

109. Karen Clark Karen Clark says:

Love this restaurant. My condolences to the family. 🙏

110. Betty Arguellez Ray Arguellez Richard Arguellez

111. Lisa Cruz Lisa Cruz says:

Prayers to the husband and rest of his family. How can a child kill one of his own parents.

112. God bless this family.

113. So very sorry for the family.

114. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

So very sad to hear about this. Sounds like the son was troubled 😟 just heartbreaking

115. Very sad😢 She was always so friendly and welcoming at her restaurant. I pray for the family.

116. So very heartbreaking. ..

117. RIP Maria a wonderful kind person My condolences to the family

118. Sooo sad…. Sick people in this crazy world.

119. Woah…. Chandra Neal we were just there and I think she helped us 😬

120. Rosy Martin Rosy Martin says:

This break my heart!!! Maria, you will always be in my heart ❤️!!!!

121. Kathy Horgan Kathy Horgan says:

Geez how tragic. Prayers for the family!!!

122. No this is just….. No

123. We were at Margaritas on Monday around 5pm. The place was dark and solemn without her there. I didn’t know this had happened. My condolences to the family and staff. God bless her🙏🏻

124. So very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you all, God be with you all

125. Paula Carrasco says:

My heart is broken for my dear friends. I have no words but I do have lots of prayers. I send all my love to José and his family.

126. Yecenia Currie did you see this? 😞

127. Prayers for the family. RIP Maria

128. Carmen Celis Carmen Celis says:

Ellos le dieron el primer trabajo a mi hija mi sentido pésame para toda la familia 😢que dios le de descanso eterno a dońa maria 🙏

129. Rena Tarrant Rena Tarrant says:

So sad prayers for her husband and family

130. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

Annamarie Rewal Glen Rewal

131. So sad … Tragic … Prayers go out to the family ….

132. Chandra Neal Chandra Neal says:

Cheryl Dlhos Pesterfield can you believe this?

133. So sad, we used to go to the restaurant all he time when we lived there. Prayers to all involved.

134. Sad deal. Super nice people.

135. Wendy White Wendy White says:

Didn’t this just open like a month ago?

136. Such a beautiful lady, so very sad. Sending prayers to family & friends ❤️

137. Miriam Sánchez says:

Wow! This is very sad! I have been there many times. What a terrible loss. My condolences to her family.

138. Oh my Lord, prayers for them. What a horrible story.

• Ted Ebert Ted Ebert says:

I can’t believe this. She was such a sweet woman that always made going to her restaurant such a pleasure. She deserves justice!!! Eye for an eye

139. This is just too close to home! So sad! Prayers going out to family and friends!

140. So sad 😭 I’ve noticed this is the only publication claiming he was booked for murder no other news media outlet is

141. Praying for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.

142. So sad to hear that you’re gone now. Our Condolences to the family of Mrs Maria , May God bless your beautiful soul & may you Rest In Peace. You are Wonderful woman , we love coming to their place 🌹 & you’ll be missed 🌹🌹🌹

143. So, sad, praying for the families

144. Elisa Aguilar Matt Moreno

145. Paqui Cuevas Paqui Cuevas says:

😓😓oh no!!👎🏻 it’s so sad 😭 I can’t believe my condolences to the family….what’s wrong.?? Why??the Bible says in the last days children rebel against parents.. I’m so sorry 😐 is very sad GOD bless everyone 🙏🙏

146. Very sad :( Rest in peace. Prayers for the family.

147. Clara De Leon Crispi Charlie

148. To close to home. So sad

149. OMG! That’s mine n my son’s fav Mexican place. We were just there last Friday. My condolences to the family and what a tragedy : (

150. Lorena Avila Lorena Avila says:

José no lo puedo creer 😱OMG ! Que Dios bendiga a ti a tu familia 😰

151. Carlynn Kundert Weller Randy WellerShea Roldan this is where we went for Colton’s bday. So sad

152. Maria Evans Maria Evans says:

So sorry for your loss.
    Praying for the family.

153. Mary Finch says:

Back in 2002 I worked next door to Margaritas, many of my coworkers, including myself would go in this place. I came to know Maria and the lovely person she was. She would always greet me with her warm and friendly smile. I can’t wrap around my head around the fact she is gone and the tragic way her life ended!! I don’t know what could have caused this to happen and if it could have been prevented, however, she is gone and the loss has had a very sad and dark impact on me. If I feel this loss so deeply, I can’t begin to imagine what her family, friends and co-workers are going through! My heart goes out to those close to her and especially, to her immediate family!!

154. Marty Thompson says:

May god be with you i am saddened

Related Content
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Knight’s ‘No Hero Left Untreated Act’ Unanimously Passes House
Tuesday, Representative Steve Knight’s (CA-25) bill, No Hero Left Untreated Act, passed unanimously from the House of Representatives and now heads to the Senate for consideration.
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Air Quality Advisory Issued for Santa Clarita Valley
According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive individuals in Santa Clarita Valley on Wednesday, May 24.
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Early Morning I-5 Collision Injures LAPD Officer
An injury crash reported at approximately 5:15 a.m. involving a truck and an LAPD motorcycle shut down all lanes of southbound traffic on I-5 near Lyons Avenue, and LAPD and CHP officers are reportedly on scene investigating. By 8:45 a.m., all lanes had reopened, but CHP officials remained on scene near the Lyons Ave. off-ramp.

Knight’s ‘No Hero Left Untreated Act’ Unanimously Passes House
The COC SBDC is hosting a local pitch competition on June 1, as part of InnovateHER 2017. The SBA National competition with cash prizes totaling $70,000 in the final round is scheduled for September 2017.
June 1: COC SBDC Hosts InnovateHER Pitch Competition
Air Quality Advisory Issued for Santa Clarita Valley
The median price of single-family homes in the Santa Clarita Valley that closed escrow during April was $555,000, up 3.1 percent from April 2017 and 3.7 percent higher than March.
Median Price of Single Family Homes Up 3.1 Percent
The SCV Senior Center is offering a new class that will teach attendees the art of crochet and jewelry making.
SCV Senior Center Offering New Class on Crochet, Jewelry Making
Get ready for the sounds of live Jazz and Blues bands to once again fill Town Center Drive in Valencia. Established 18 years ago, the series will once again feature regional, national and international entertainers in a quaint street party setting while offering interactive activities for adults and children.
2017 Valencia Jazz and Blues Concert Series Announced
Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced Tuesday a record $18.5 million multi-state settlement with Target, in response to allegations that over 40 million customers had their payment card information compromised during the 2013 holiday season after the company failed to provide reasonable data security.
Becerra Announces $18.5 Million Multi-State Settlement with Target
Early Morning I-5 Collision Injures LAPD Officer
College of the Canyons music student Justin Horwitz is one step close to his goal of becoming a music director thanks to a $21,000 transfer scholarship to Rider University in New Jersey.
COC Graduating Music Student Receives $21,000 Scholarship
Detectives with the Sheriff’s Station’s Narcotics Unit arrested five suspects Tuesday morning in connection a raid on a suspected drug house.
Arrests Made at Suspected Canyon Country Drug House
Craig Schlitter’s run of seven-straight quality starts came to an end as the Lancaster JetHawks fell to the Inland Empire 66ers, 6-1, on Monday night at San Manuel Stadium.
JetHawks Lose 6-1 to 66ers
Memorial Day weekend is the traditional start of summer and a time when many families and travelers will be on the go. California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers will take to the roads throughout the holiday weekend and will be working to save lives through seat belt education and enforcement.
Seat Belt Safety Never Takes a Holiday
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will be conducting a specialized Motorcycle Safety Enforcement Operation on May 24, 2017 in an effort to lower deaths and injuries.
May 24: LASD Conducting Motorcycle Safety Enforcement Operation
Caltrans has adopted California’s first statewide bicycle and pedestrian plan, Toward an Active California, which lays out policies and actions to support active modes of transportation.
Caltrans Adopts State Bicycle, Pedestrian Plan
The Castaic Lake Water Agency Planning and Engineering Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, May 30 at 5:30 p.m. in the Training Room at the Rio Vista Water Treatment Plant.
May 30: CLWA Planning & Engineering Committee Meeting
Santa Clarita residents can learn CPR at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital during a special county-wide event on Thursday, June 1 in front of the hospital’s main building and at the Jo Anne Darcy Library in Canyon Country.
June 1: Sidewalk CPR Day at Henry Mayo
Valencia Crime/Public Safety Report, May 8-14
Crime Blotter: Domestic Violence, Grand Theft in Valencia
The regular meeting for the Sulphur Spring Union School District Governing Board will be held on May 24 at 7 p.m.
May 24: SSUSD Governing Board Regular Meeting
Einstein Academy officials were dealt another blow Monday, when their ex parte hearing was denied in a Los Angeles County Superior courtroom.
Superior Court Judge Denies Hearing for Einstein Academy
A Los Angeles County judge dismissed the charges last week against one of three people accused of human trafficking in Santa Clarita.
Charges Dismissed Against One of Three People in Human Trafficking Case
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a brush fire broke out in the vicinity of Sierra Highway and Hillfield Lane on Monday. Plus, celebrate the newest art exhibit to take over the Town Center Art Space. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, May 22, 2017
City, county and law enforcement officials cleaned up the Santa Clara River wash, aiming to remove illegal encampments and improve residents’ safety, officials said Monday.
Bridge to Home, Law Enforcement, Government Officials Clear Homeless Encampments
A Ventura County lawmaker is proposing an overhaul of the state’s community college placement system, and College of the Canyons is one of the “models” for the program.
Lawmaker Uses COC As Model for Community College Placement System
The popularity of Netflix show “13 Reasons Why” is concerning mental health experts who are seeing copycat behaviors in Santa Clarita from the “revenge suicide” show.
Local Mental Health Experts Concerned About Netflix Show
Santa Clarita City Council agenda for May 23, 2017
May 23: City Council Regular Meeting
The city of Santa Clarita will once again host its annual Summer Bash celebration for Santa Clarita Valley residents and visitors.
June 23: City Hosts Annual Summer Bash
On Friday, May 19, the Herb Alpert Foundation and CalArts award the 23rd Annual Herb Alpert Award in the Arts (HAAIA) to five exceptional mid-career artists. The awards recognize past performance and future promise, and each artist receives an unrestricted prize of $75,000.
Herb Alpert Foundation, CalArts Host 23rd Annual Herb Alpert Award in the Arts
In a postseason dominated by a prolific offense, The Master's University tossed in a gutsy pitching performance by senior Jason Karkenny Wednesday afternoon to beat Georgia Gwinnett 9-1 and punch its ticket to the NAIA World Series for the second consecutive year.
TMU Baseball Heads to NAIA World Series
Based on excellent performances in the classroom, TMU's Joshua Delo and Samuel Eisenhuth have been named 2017 Men's Golf NAIA Scholar-Athletes.
Two TMU Athletes Named 2017 Men’s Golf NAIA Scholar-Athletes
The North County Transportation Coalition is encouraging area residents to weigh in on the guidelines under development by Los Angeles County Metro (Metro) for Measure M by submitting their comments at www.theplan.metro.net until May 26.
North County Transportation Coalition Wants Resident to Weigh in on Metro Guidelines
The College of the Canyons track and field program sent a combined 14 student-athletes to compete in 13 events at the 2017 California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) State Championship meet hosted by American River College May 19-20.
COC Track & Field Compete in CCCAA State Champs
Hitting its way deeper into the postseason, The Master's University scored early and often and then held on to defeat Webber International 14-12 Tuesday afternoon in a winners' bracket game at the NAIA National Championship Opening Round.
TMU Baseball Defeats Webber International 14-12
It used to be that graduate students were often pegged as scholars so entombed in their studies and their campus libraries, they rarely saw the light of the day. There was usually not time for a family or children or even a social life. Now imagine having two young children and managing four track & field and two cross country programs and the student-athletes that entails all while pursuing a master’s degree with your spouse.
CSUN Track Coaches Among 2017 Grads
The California Transportation Commission has adopted a plan to immediately begin implementation of programs established by Senate Bill 1 – The Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017.
State Transportation Commission Approves Road Repair, Accountability Act
At its root, leftism despises this redeeming nature and also the deity of the Judeo-Christian moral system, and so rejects such possible redemption. This, despite leftists’ insistence that others treat them according to the immovable objective standard of that moral code, and despite that code allowing them the type of life they demand.
Wrongists, Unite | Commentary by Richard Hood