Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

January 18
1899 - Martin & Richard Wood buy J.H. Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, rename it Saugus Cafe [story]
Saugus Cafe

| Thursday, Jan 25, 2018
Highway 126 Crash
Photo: Ventura County Fire Department

A collision on Highway 126 near Piru Wednesday afternoon claimed the life of a Santa Barbara woman and injured two other people including a man from Castaic.

California Highway Patrol officials said the collision occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. in front of Rancho Camulos Museum when an eastbound pickup truck driven by Kenneth L. Coombes, 29, of Castaic, crashed into the rear of a Chevy truck, which was also traveling eastbound.

Sharon Vaughn | Facebook

The initial impact caused Coombes’ truck to cross the center divider of Highway 126 and collide head-on with a westbound Toyota Camry. The female passenger in the Camry, a 57-year-old Santa Barbara resident, was pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver, Anthony N. Romasanta, 54, also of Santa Barbara, was airlifted to Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center.

Officials at the Ventura County Medical Examiner’s office later identified the female passenger as Sharon Vaughn.

Coombes suffered major injuries and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital.

The driver of the Chevy truck, Louis J. Lee, 45, of Lancaster, was treated at the scene.

The incident caused the partial closure of Highway 126 for approximately three hours.

While there is no indication at this time that alcohol or drugs were a factor in the collision, the cause is still under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact CHP Moorpark Division at (805) 553-0800.

1. Jeanne says:

So sad. If they had Oleander bushes in the divider all the way down 126 like they do closer to Santa Barbara it would help save lives.

2. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

Why can’t people slow down and leave ample space between cars? (Meaning don’t ride the ass of the car in front of you)
    Condolences to her family😔

3. Ryan O’Connor, Sean O’Connor

4. Jeanne says:

We all know it is easy to be distracted. Kids in backseat, drop a cigarette (I don’t smoke) change radio, hope it was not cell phone. Or someone can slam on brakes in front of you. I am sorry for all involved. Horrible.

5. Jeanne says:

If we were all perfect drivers all the time there would never be “accidents”. The Oleander plants would help save lives.

6. Melody Vito Melody Vito says:

Same spot I totalled my car. The spot is a death trap. Who puts an intersection after a blind curve on a freeway?!

7. tRAVIS LEVY says:

Driver of the truck will get off . Where’s the justice in that. You caused an accident and killed someone. If our court system doesn’t want to put people behind bars for vehicular manslaughter then at least the state should revoke his license for a very and I mean very long time.

8. I was coming home from Thousand Oaks to Valencia and passed by this accident as the firemen were cutting the people out of the blue Camry. I knew it looked really bad. My condolences to the family of the female passenger who died.

9. Dolly Lopez Dolly Lopez says:

growing up in this area my entire life, I remember when 126 was just a two lane road lined with huge eucalyptus trees and it was so dangerous at that time, there were horrific accidents on that road all the time. It seemed to be better when they widened it and straightened it out more–but recently, with all of these fatal accidents that keep occurring on 126 it seems to be just as dangerous as it ever was. Sadly, I only see it getting worse as they begin to build in that area. My condolences to the family who lost their loved one, and I wish a speedy and complete recovery to the rest involved.

10. jeanne says:

Maybe we need to lower the speed limit to 40?

11. Jessi Brown Jessi Brown says:

Joseph Brown This why you were stuck for so long last night.

12. Heard they call the 126 blood alley! Not sure saw it on the 805 news.

13. Blood Alley—be safe out there, folks. It’s awfully dangerous, especially at night.

14. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

The 126 is a deadly hwy my dear friends sister was killed by a drunk wrong way driver years ago my friend and her nephew survived but they were in the hospital for months!!

15. Luis Galdamez Clara De Leon

16. Brian Durand Brian Durand says:

1000 fish in a bowl built for a hundred. So sad.

17. Eric Bourassa Lemon IC

18. Dan says:

The new 20,000+ home development along the 126 in Valenica will only increase traffic and make matters worse. Blood will be on the hands of the County Board of Supervisors for giving the OK to this project. But I’m sure they got large campaign contributions from the developers, so that’s their excuse. I feel very sorry for the victims and their families in this accident. One cannot drive this stretch of road without the dangers coming to mind.

19. Greg Medrano Greg Medrano says:

Thats at my street almost. Crazy…

20. CFern says:

As usual the sorry excuse for a human being, reckless driver that caused the accident went home to his family.

21. Jeanne says:

We don’t know what happened so save the judgment. He could have had someone swerve in front of him and cut him off and rear ended them because of that. We don’t have all the facts.

I had a scare this week when I was leaving my home by David Way and Bouquet Cyn. I was going down Bouquet after making a right from David when as I came around a blind curve an ambulance was on the wrong side of the road with no siren coming at me. Fortunately there was a small turn out I dove for as I slammed on brakes. I was not speeding. I had just started down Bouquet. I was so shaken I almost called the Sheriff’s once I got to the Albertsons parking lot. There are only two lanes there one going each way at that part of Bouquet. The ambulance was trying to go around 2 others cars that had nowhere to go. Very scary.

22. Holly says:

Sharon Vaughn was the very first friend I made when I moved to Santa Barbara. She was the sweetest, kindest purest soul to ever walk the earth. She made me my favorite lemon cake for my birthday every year. I was about to call her to tell her something important today when I saw a text from a friend that this happened. This is unfathomable! She has a daughter, Amy who is in her late 20s. Tony was the sweetest boyfriend to Sharon. They worked through her breast cancer together. They were in such a sweet spot in their lives together. I am beyond heartbroken. My Sweet Sharon! This should not have happened.

23. I was just having a conversation with my husband about this frwy having a rise in deadly accidents, a few weeks ago while driving home on it. I said they should put k-rails down the center bc it seems many of the deaths come from head on drivers. Several years ago, they did all those improvements, to improve safety, but forgot the most important part. Sad

24. Laura Cordell says:

Sharon was my cousin and I know I will never forget her. We were just get in touch with each other after several years. I will miss her

Monday, Jan 18, 2021
SCV Husband-and-Wife Team Open Rapid COVID-19 Testing Company
After Harleen Grewal became one of the 1 million Los Angelenos to be diagnosed with COVID-19, she realized there’s a better way for people to find out whether they have the virus, or whether they need to isolate because they potentially could make someone else sick.
Monday, Jan 18, 2021
COVID-19 Variant First Found in Other Countries, States Now in California
The California Department of Public Health, in coordination with Santa Clara County and the University of California San Francisco, on Sunday announced that an L452R variant of COVID-19 is increasingly being identified by viral genomic sequencing in multiple counties across the state, including Los Angeles County.
Monday, Jan 18, 2021
Barger, Hahn Call for Expanded COVID Vaccination Effort in L.A. County
Seeking to support Los Angeles County's efforts to address the COVID-19 pandemic and the tragic impact on its residents, Supervisors Kathryn Barger and Janice Hahn are calling for additional flexibility in the county's vaccination effort to include as many residents as possible and a process to begin vaccinating those 65 and older.

SCV Husband-and-Wife Team Open Rapid COVID-19 Testing Company
COVID-19 Variant First Found in Other Countries, States Now in California
Barger, Hahn Call for Expanded COVID Vaccination Effort in L.A. County
As Americans celebrate the legacy of civil rights icon Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his work to expand voting rights and representation, Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday formally submitted the appointment of Alex Padilla to become California’s first Latino U.S. Senator and the nomination of Assemblymember Dr. Shirley Weber to become the state’s first African American Secretary of State.
Newsom Formally Appoints Padilla a U.S. Senator; Nominates Weber as New Secretary of State
A federal class action filed Friday claims Bank of America failed to secure debit cards containing unemployment benefits for millions of Californians, leading to widespread fraud and making some cardholders unable to access needed funds during a pandemic.
Bank of America Sued for California Unemployment Fraud Scheme
The Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management will be on high alert Monday night due to the potential of extreme Santa Ana wind and fire weather conditions in much of the county late Monday night into early Wednesday.
L.A. County on High Alert for Strong Wind, Fire Weather Conditions
Saugus Cafe
1994, 4:31 a.m. - Magnitude 6.7 Northridge earthquake rocks Santa Clarita Valley [video]
bridge
1926 - Newhall Community Hospital, est. 1922, opens in larger, more modern hospital building at 6th & Spruce streets [story]
Newhall Community Hospital
The death toll from the novel coronavirus pandemic surpassed 2 million on Friday and the World Health Organization warned the global health crisis may get even worse as people weary of restrictions let down their guard and contagious strains of the virus spread around the globe.
Pandemic Death Toll Hits 2 Million Worldwide
At least once a month, residents of the Cali Lake RV community, nestled in a quiet canyon off a rural part of Soledad Canyon Road, have had their power shut off due to Southern California Edison’s Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
Residents Mostly Impacted by Power Shutoffs Express Concern Over Ongoing Events
Late Friday afternoon, a group of parents and student-athletes gathered in front of the William S. Hart Union High School District office to urge the district to bring athletic-conditioning back to school campuses.
Parents, Student-Athletes Gather to Urge Hart District to Bring Athletics Back
A future open space trailhead in the Tesoro area will be named after a founding Santa Clarita city councilman, and a portion of land in Newhall after a family who has donated several acres of land to the city for open-space preservation.
City Council OKs Dedications in Tesoro Area, Newhall Pass Open Space
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health on Friday confirmed 258 new deaths and 15,051 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with cases likely to reach over 1 million this weekend. In addition, the Santa Clarita Valley has reached 21,189 total cases.
Friday COVID-19 Roundup: Cases Near 1 Million Countywide; 258 New Deaths in County
Jim and Anita Lombardi of Federal Escrow, Inc. donated $50,000 to the Boys and Girls Club to help the organization continue providing COVID-19 relief services in the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Boys and Girls Club Receives $50,000 Financial Gift from Federal Escrow, Inc.
The Castaic Union School District governing board appointed a new president during its annual organizational board meeting last month.
CUSD Board Appoints Mayreen Burk as New Board President
The California Supreme Court declared Thursday that worker classification standards set forth in its Dynamex decision should apply retroactively to a labor class action from 15 years ago, as well as all non-final cases that predate the 2018 landmark ruling.
California High Court Makes Landmark Independent Contractor Ruling Retroactive
Los Angeles County officials announced five additional mass-vaccination sites set to open next week which include Six Flags Magic Mountain and California State University, Northridge.
Six Flags, CSUN Set to Open as Mass Vaccination Sites
Waste Management has extended its temporary residential green waste pick-up schedule for customers in Santa Clarita, with regular service anticipated to resume the week of Jan. 25.
Waste Management Extends Modified Green Waste Pick-Up Schedule
The College of the Canyons ‘Canyons Promise’ free tuition program for new students is now accepting applications for the 2021-22 year.
COC’s Canyons Promise Program Now Accepting 2021-22 Applications
The ice rink in Valencia, which the City acquired last year, is currently undergoing renovations prior to its highly anticipated grand reopening later this year.
Renovations for Highly Anticipated City-Owned Ice Rink Continue
The MAIN is set to host eight weeks of free virtual productions from around the world from Jan. 22 through March 12 via Zoom for the Stage on Screen Theatre Fest's International Edition of online theatre.
Jan. 22-March 12: The Main’s Stage On Screen Theatre Fest Goes International
1875 - Henry Mayo Newhall buys western half of the Santa Clarita Valley for $2 an acre [story]
Henry M. Newhall
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday 287 new deaths and 17,323 new cases of COVID-19, with 20,918 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday COVID-19 Roundup: County Surpasses 13,000 Deaths; SCV Cases Total 20,918