Val Verde and Acton residents who get their drinking water from the public water supply will pay more in 2012 if the Board of Supervisors approves a staff recommendation Tuesday.
Customers of L.A. County Waterworks District 36 in Val Verde will get hit with a 7.9 percent increase while Acton customers of Waterworks District 37 will pay 4.7 percent more under the plan.
According to a report from the county Department of Public Works, the rate increases are necessary to adjust for inflation and to offset the higher wholesale cost of imported state water. Inflation counts for 3.09 percent of the increase. District 36 will see a 6.1 percent increase in its wholesale water rate, so it would appear some of the total 9.19 percent higher cost to the district is being absorbed.
The average Val Verde customer currently pays $65.36 per month and will pay $70.52 after the rate change, the report states. The average Acton customer pays $50.35 now and will pay $52.71 in 2012.
The rates would go into effect 30 days after customers are directly notified.
Val Verde residents who aren’t on a private well get their water from District 36, which buys 100 percent of its water at wholesale rates from the valley’s state water importer, the Castaic Lake Water Agency. District 36 is the SCV’s only public water retailer that doesn’t blend state water with groundwater. (Newhall County Water District serves most of Castaic; the other local retailers are the Valencia Water Co. and CLWA’s Santa Clarita Water Division.)
If the plan is approved, rates would also increase in Malibu, Marina del Rey and portions of the Antelope Valley served by Waterworks District 40, for the same reasons.
Without providing a breakdown, the report states that wholesale water rates have increased 5.5 percent to 10.7 percent, depending on the district. According to CLWA, District 36 will pay 6.1 percent more for state water in 2012.
In 2011, rates in the affected areas increased by 3.4 percent to 12.6 percent depending on the district, the county report states. Apparently not all of the wholesale water rate increase was passed on to customers then, either, as District 36 paid 13.8 percent more for state water in 2011, CLWA officials said.
The 2012 increase to rate payers will generate a total of $75,921 in new revenue for District 36 and $40,805 for District 37, the county report states.