The Santa Clarita Public Library offers free, ongoing programs for kindergarten through eighth grade students to encourage literacy and reading education. Youth programming at all three branches includes everything from story times and crafts to events that explore the sciences.
The Valencia, Newhall, and Canyon Country Library branches host a variety of youth reading programs including: special Storytimes for students in kindergarten through third grade; a Science Book Club for youth in fourth to eighth grade; and the unique and popular Read to a Dog program, which is geared toward elementary students to help children overcome their fear of reading aloud by practicing with therapy-certified dogs.
The Santa Clarita Public Library also offers fun activities for families including Bilingual Family Storytime, Family Read Aloud Book Club, and Family Project Days.
For youth who love the arts, the Library offers Crafty Kids, where participants learn do-it-yourself activities like jewelry and card-making. There is also space for youth to play popular board and card games and enjoy building with Duplo blocks during Gaming Workshops.
Additionally, each branch hosts activities for youth interested in exploring the sciences with programs like the Silly Science program, which uses creative lesson plans to teach a variety of scientific topics. At the Dig-it Fossil Workshop, younger children can explore the science of archeology with a hands-on approach to learning about fossils.
The following schedule includes the times, dates, and programming available at each Library branch:
Canyon Country Library:
* Kindergarten to Third Grade Storytime: Every Thursday, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
* Read to a Dog: Every first and third Thursday, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
* Gaming: Every Tuesday and Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.
* Crafty Kids: First Monday of every month, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
* Kindergarten to Third Grade Storytime: Every Monday, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
* Read to a Dog: First Saturday of every month, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
* Family Bilingual Story time: Every second and fourth Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
* Family Project Day: Every third Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
* Silly Science: Every second Wednesday, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
* Crafty Kids: Every fourth Wednesday, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
* Gaming: Every Tuesday and Thursday, and the first and third Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
* Kindergarten to Third Grade Storytime: Every Tuesday, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* Read to a Dog: Every second Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
* Science Book Club for Fourth to Eighth Grade Students: Every third Wednesday, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* Family Read Aloud Book Club: Every fourth Wednesday, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* Dig-it Fossil Workshop: Every first Thursday from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For more information, contact the Santa Clarita Public Library at 661-259-8942 or visit santaclaritalibrary.com.