The city of Santa Clarita offers the following conservation tips for the holiday season:
* Decorate your home with LED lights
* Turn off holiday lights at bedtime
* Carpool to holiday gatherings
* Buy rechargeable batteries for electronics and use Energy Star battery chargers and power strips
* Choose products that are minimally packaged
* Buy local foods for your holiday feast
* Bring your own reusable bags when shopping
* Wrap gifts in old newspapers and magazines
* Reuse gift bags, ribbons, and bows
* Purchase items made from recycled / repurposed content
* Recycle your Christmas Trees
* DECEMBER 26, 2013 – JANUARY 11, 2014* * Your waste hauler will collect your unflocked and undecorated trees (no stands) curbside on your regular trash day. Contact your waste hauler for details.
* Recycle holiday catalogs, greeting cards, gift wrap, and cardboard
* Recycle or donate electronics such as old computers, TVs, and cell phones
* Take large amounts of cooking oil to a
* S.A.F.E. collection center to be recycled
* Drop off foam peanuts at a mailing center
* Recycle leftovers as compost in your garden
* Donate unused food, as well as clothes, toys and household items to your local shelter to brighten someone’s holiday.
For more “green” information or to find locations for recycling, visit GreenSantaClarita.com.