Partly sunny
Partly sunny

December 17
1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]

[KHTS] – A former Santa Clarita Valley woman and her two children were killed in an alleged murder-suicide Tuesday, according to Syracuse, Utah, police officials.

Kyler Ramsdell-Oliva, 32, who moved away from the SCV just weeks ago, reportedly killed her daughters Kenadee “Kenn” Oliva, 13, and Isabella Oliva, 7, before turning the gun on herself, said Lt Heath Rogers of the Syracuse Police Department.

Police Department officials were called to the home the night before, Rogers said, regarding a potential domestic incident.

“We were called on that (house) the night before, it was more of a ‘keep the peace’ civil standby,” Rogers said, declining to give the fiance’s name.

kylerramsdelloliva2“(He called us to) watch the place while the fiance took some stuff out of the house,” he said.

The fiance is not suspected of any wrongdoing, officials said.

The 13-year-old, Kenadee Oliva, was a former Rancho Pico Junior High student.

“We were made aware of this on Wednesday and immediately, on Thursday morning, parents were notified,” said Gail Pinsker, spokeswoman for the William S. Hart Union High School District. “An email was sent to all parents to let them know of her tragic death.”

Kenadee, age 13 (Facebook)

Kenadee, age 13 (Facebook)

“The message to parents also is to alert them that their student may be upset about this,” Pinsker said, adding that resources continue to be available for students interested in grief counseling services.

Kenadee Oliva would have been an eighth-grader at Rancho Pico, but she was pulled out of school at winter break, Pinsker said.

“If the parents have a concern and the child doesn’t want to approach someone at school, then the parent can come in,” Pinsker said, adding that counselors talked to students on Oliva’s “academic team” at the school.

“We want to have very open lines of communication right now,” Pinsker said.

Isabella was enrolled in Helmers for a short time, and then briefly was enrolled in West Creek Academy before she was also taken out of school late last year.

Kenadee, age 13 (Facebook)

Kenadee, age 13 (Facebook)

“These kinds of situations are not just touching on children, they’re touching on adults, too,” said Dr. Joan Lucid, superintendent of the Saugus Union School District.

If a child has an issue with the death, he or she can contact a teacher regarding school counseling services, Lucid said.

“These are not things that you deal with every day,” she said, “and so you need professional support when this type of situation happens.”

Both students were attending local schools in Syracuse, a suburb about 25 miles north of Salt Lake City, at the time of their deaths.

Facebook photo

Facebook photo

Facebook post by Kenadee Oliva, 2012

Facebook post by Kenadee Oliva, 2012

1. How sad… That she thought whatever trouble she was going through, killing her daughters and herself was the only way to solve it. … prayers to the family and friends they leave behind. .

2. Cowards way. Just kill yourself. Rip girls.

3. That’s horrible and yes why? Why kill the kids!!

4. Facebook post by 13-year-old Kenadee Oliva in 2012

5. What a selfish way to kill yourself. Take yourself out for a man if you want but leave innocent people/kids alone that don’t want to die! Smdh

6. Sandra Caipo Sandra Caipo says:

How sad. Let’s not judge her for we don’t know her state of mind. JS

7. Wow, this is really sad! She didn’t have take her kids with her! Children are so innocent

8. Dave Hilton Dave Hilton says:

Why do people do that. I bet shes really bummed to find out the grass is not greener on the other side.

9. What’s wrong with people?

10. Heartbreaking :-( how can people kill their own kids..so selfish..rip girls :'(

11. Gina Stewart Gina Stewart says:

Seriously, no one should be judging her. We have no idea if she had mental health issues. Normal, healthy moms do not kill their children. May all 3 of them rest in peace.

12. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

I’m judging the hell out of her. She shot her kids. Sorry but she a POS. Simple and plain. Take yourself out but the kids? Really?

13. Arcy Sendejo Arcy Sendejo says:

Omg, so sad. Although they look like such a beautiful family in this picture, who knows the troubles the Mom had been going through to do something like this. God bless them… RIP

14. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

How could you say we shouldn’t judge her @Gina Stewart. She killed two innocent children and took the cowards way out by killing herself after. Ima judge her definitely.

15. Just tragic!! :( where’s the father?

16. Gina Stewart Gina Stewart says:

We haven’t walked in her shoes. While I don’t condone her actions, I can’t sit on my high horse and judge her. Obviously she was deeply troubled. The father of the children passed away, she was a single mom, & had a history of being unstable. Maybe if someone had stepped in and gave her the help she needed…I didn’t know her but I have a good friend who did and she has told me some sad things about their life. I’m not God, I will not condemn her to hell.

17. What a pos! She’s just a coward! She could’ve killed herself, no need to take her kids lives!!!!

18. This is so tragic and sad. WHat a beautiful family.

19. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

I don’t think Gina understands that two young innocent girls will never get to accomplish what they could’ve because of how horrible of an act her mom did. No matter how mentally unstable you are, murdering children, especially you’re own two daughters is horrible

20. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

Pretty much the worst act anyone can do.

21. Lisa says:

OMG…horrible, heartbreaking… :-(

22. All I can say is that she obviously was seriously ill in her head. No person, especially a mother would do that otherwise. I would gladly give my life for my kids any day. Such a shame.

23. Adam White Adam White says:

geez so sad,such a good looking family…never know..poor girls

24. Shannon King Shannon King says:

I think this is the case where the ex was not paying her enough support and she was under tremendous financial strain to make her house payments. Not an excuse, but probably a factor in driving her over the edge. Still I don’t understand how she could kill her kids unless she had a narcissistic need to make it all about her and punish her ex. Maybe more information will come out.

25. Omg!” So very sad killing her own kids. Breaks my heart reading this. Their own mother. So very tragic!

26. SO VERY TRAGICALLY SAD!!!! God receive and rest the souls of those children and have mercy on the soul of that troubled mother!!! One of the most troubling news I’ve seen!

27. that is just HORRIBLE!!! SOOO SAD!

28. Silvie Faust Silvie Faust says:

Sounds very tragic.

29. This is terrible. My heart goes out to their family :(

30. Why do people do this? Why drag innocents into your very selfish act?

31. Donna Moore Donna Moore says:

Omg saddest thing ever

32. So sad that people feel there is no other way out but to kill innocent kids. And then ultimately themselves. Sad really sad.

33. Heartbreaking… I can’t stop thinking about the sweet innocence of those two young girls gone way too soon…

34. Dawn Gross Dawn Gross says:

Just heard a story about a woman who tried to kill herself so her kids could have the ins money. That didn’t work out and long story short she turned the tables on her bad life and eventually got a PHD and is mayor of her town. Talk about GUTS!!! Good for her.

• Anonymous says:

I also saw that amazing story! She turned over her problems and herlife to God & that made all the difference.?

35. Bob Haas Bob Haas says:

Sad, really sad when someone feels that their situation is so dire that they have in other options. What is even sadder is apparently they was no one close enough to see the signs. The loss of the innocent children is just too overwhelming to get over.

36. Debra Foley says:

Shes a murderer!!!!!!…plain and simple…..those girls were innocent.

37. Sean Nichols Sean Nichols says:

This is a terrible tragedy, no doubt. Definitely a selfish horrible act.
    However, I can’t help but think that those of you that are willing to judge this woman after she’s dead certainly would have done the same when she was alive. Point being, would you help someone this desperate if they needed it, or would you judge them and turn your back on them? How about we reserve judgement when we have never walked in her shoes folks.

38. That’s just horrible! I’m so sad for their families!

39. Her daughter Kenn was one of my daughter’s closest friends. She is devastated. I met the mom once, but never got to know her. Her daughter was so sweet and energetic, and friendly to everyone she met. We will definitely miss her. I can’t imagine what would drive someone to take the lives of their innocent children. So incredibly sad…

40. Sean Nichols Sean Nichols says:

Good point Karmen. Is it possible local PD rushed judgement on this?

41. Hailey says:

Kenn was one of the best friends I ever had and she was actually perfect! Her hair was amazing. She was super nice and fun to be around and judged no one. She loved the life she lived and she is a real role model to me. Her sister Bella was also very special and also perfect and just a happy person! I’ve only met her mom once and I guess you never really know someone. I loved the person she was sooo much!! Everyone did!

42. So very sad! May she rest in hell and her kids rest in peace! How could any mother take her children’s life, they did not ask to be born, just because Mom couldn’t get her sh?? Together why take it out on children! There is soooo much help out there for people!!!!!!!!

43. Aja says:

So tragic. I’ve always judged parents when these things happen, but something else just popped into my head. We always ask “WHY!?!” & I wonder if she was so depressed that she felt taking her life was her only option…but didn’t want to leave her kids behind with no mother. What if she felt she was protecting them from the loss they would have endured? Maybe that’s the thought process of others who do the same thing. Whatever it is, it’s just sad.

44. Very sad. I pray desperate people will ask for help and be specific. Heard another one last night on TV from FL being labeled “The Day the Music Died.” Tragedies both. I wonder if the mothers were on some kind of prescription drugs that mess up your ability to think straight–just as several of the mass murderers have been.

45. Rob Cannon Rob Cannon says:

Hopelessness can suck the life out of you. So tragic. God bless others contemplating anything close…. RIP

46. i could of had taking care of those girls but lets not judge maybe she hasd a mental decease u never know. if any has a love one with mental decease call nami or call 18888547771

47. I think more investigation should be done, it is hard to believe she would kill her own daughters. Hope the investigators take another look they might overlook something.
    A lot suicides were not suicides after a deeper investigation, what looks like May is not what happened. It is very sad tragedy. My prayers goes for the family and friends.

48. Jordan Katz Jordan Katz says:

Totally sad! Rest in peace you 3.

49. Jordan Katz Jordan Katz says:

Totally sad! Rest in peace you 3.

50. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

OMG…that is horrible……Such beautiful children. . …..WHY!!!! To kill your own children…….. the very thought is just unthinkable, unimaginable, repulsive, detestable. That mother will never know peace now. Not in life or after. May those precious children rest in peace and join the angels now.

51. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

52. jailene says:

So sad. Makes me think twice about allowing my Child to go to a friends house. You dont know what type of issues they really have:(

53. So sorry for the girls!!!!

54. Wow to wish someone to hell is worse than the act that was commited, I wonder where were all of you when she needed help? Only the Lord can judge.I Hope that the Lord forgive her actions and that she can have eternal peace in Heaven as she must have suffered hell here.I know that Her Daughters are with the Lord. Iam not saying that this is right, But it is not for us to judge, and to wish the worst is terrible.

55. She must’ve had some major problems and just snapped you can’t do that to your kids with a clear mind. Depression is nothing to be ignored

56. I immediately started to cast my judgement as I read this, however, I stopped. I really hope that this is not true and there is more to be learned of this story. I will wait until I know more to decide. In any case, this is a very sad, avoidable and senseless tragedy. My thoughts are with their family and friends. :( May they all rest in peace.

57. I immediately started to cast my judgement as I read this, however, I stopped. I really hope that this is not true and there is more to be learned of this story. I will wait until I know more to decide. In any case, this is a very sad, avoidable and senseless tragedy. My thoughts are with their family and friends. :( May they all rest in peace.

58. Jen says:

I’ve had a lot of issues with depression myself but I not only could I NEVER EVER even consider harming my own children, of course I would not nor could not take there Innocent little lives. Not 2 mention I feel the same way about my own life and definitely agree with some of the others, in that it would be EXTREMELY SELFISH!!!!!! I LOVE my children with all of my heart n soul.

59. Mike Martin Mike Martin says:

That is just tragic.

60. ellie says:

I was friends with her. we went to school together. At school on Friday, we made a memorial with all her favorite things. Then we gathered in a large circle and had a moment of silence for her.
    then, we made a giant “k” in her honor. we miss her sooo much:(

61. Abbie Berman says:

kenn was my best friend i found out the day after her death personally. i knew kenn 5 months and in those 5 months i realized angels really do live on earth and that my baby boo will never ever in a million years be forgotten. i am happy for her though because she was already depressed and sad she cut and me and her other friend stopped her. i feel like i failed to protect her. i could have done something to keep her here but instead i just let her drift away. i miss her so badly i cry at the thought of her name or even what she looks like. i painted my room blue because that was her favorite color. i have a necklace that we both have and i wear mine everyday no matter what. i keep a giant poster in my room to remember her. and to everyone who says it could have been suicide i know it wasn’t because my baby girl would never kill herself she had to much to live for and her sister bella was so amazing and cute i only met bella once but from the moment i met her i knew she was an angel to. the last thing kenn ever said to me was “baby girl i miss u so much but i am staying strong so i need u to also remember always and forever nothing can tear us apart”(kenadee louise ann oliva). thank you to everyone who has been there for me through this i really appreciate it. valentines day was one moth since she passed and i sang to her that night telling her how much i love her and will never forget her. #alwaysandforever

Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Weekend Fire Weather Watch Called for SCV
The National Weather Service has called a Fire Weather Watch for this weekend for Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains and valleys including the Santa Clarita Valley due to gusty northeast wind and low relative humidity.
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Bicyclist Arrested for Warrant, Cocaine in Canyon Country
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 21-year-old man who had an outstanding warrant and was allegedly in possession of cocaine in Canyon Country early Thursday.
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Elite LASD Drug Enforcement Team Disrupts Cartel Operations
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department looks back at five years of work by its Domestic Highway Enforcement Team, which has disrupted the operations of the drug cartels by confiscating millions of dollars in illegal drugs and drug money.

1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]
1902 - Hi Jolly (Hadji Ali), Gen. E.F. Beale's Syrian camel driver, dies at Quartzsite, Ariz. [story]
Weekend Fire Weather Watch Called for SCV
Bicyclist Arrested for Warrant, Cocaine in Canyon Country
Valencia-based Princess Cruises, voted the #1 international cruise line in Japan, announced its 2019 program featuring Japanese-built Diamond Princess returning for her sixth season, sailing roundtrip from Tokyo (Yokohama) and Kobe.
Princess Cruises Unveils 2019 Japan Cruise Program
Valencia-based Princess Cruises released its 2019 Canada and New England cruise schedule, featuring Regal Princess and Caribbean Princess on the line’s largest fall deployment and the opportunity to visit Greenland roundtrip from New York
Princess Cruises Sets Fall 2019 Cruises to Canada, New England
Elite LASD Drug Enforcement Team Disrupts Cartel Operations
College of the Canyons quarterback Andrew Brito, wide receiver Desean Holmes and linebacker KJ Latu have been named to the 2017 Region III All-California Community College Football Team.
Brito, Holmes, Latu Represent Cougars on All-State Team
Tickets and sponsorships are now available for the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce's 2018 awards ceremony and installation of new officers at Tournament Players Club in Valencia on Friday night, January 26.
Jan. 26: SCV Chamber of Commerce 2018 Awards, Installation Gala
Sponsorships are now open for the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation's 2018 Economic Outlook Conference, set for Thursday, March 8, 2018 at a location to be announced shortly.
SCV 2018 Economic Outlook Conference Tickets, Sponsorships Open
SetPoint Medical, a Valencia-based biomedical company developing therapy for chronic inflammatory diseases, has received approval from the FDA to initiate a pilot trial in the U.S. for patients with drug-refractory rheumatoid arthritis.
FDA OK’s SetPoint Bioelectronic Therapy Study for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr., representing the United States - and states and regions leading on climate across the globe - joined world leaders at the One Planet Summit Tuesday, the two-year anniversary of the Paris Agreement.
Brown in Paris: ‘We Can’t Wait for White House to Wake Up’
The regular Planning Commission meeting scheduled for Tuesday, December 19 has been canceled, according to a notification from the city of Santa Clarita today.
City Cancels Dec. 19 Planning Commission Meeting
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, December 19, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 19: L.A. County Board of Supervisors Meeting
L.A. County's Bringing Our Loved Ones Home Task Force officials unveiled their final recommendations, endorsing a plan to use a voluntary system of trackable bracelets to find people prone to wandering, like those suffering from Alzheimer’s or autism.
County Task Force Calls for Tracking Bracelets to Locate Lost Individuals
The Community Development Commission of the county of Los Angeles looks back on 35 years of advancing its core program areas: affordable housing and housing, community and economic development.
County Community Development Commission Marks 35th Anniversary
Metro is seeking two new members to join the Measure M Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee.
Metro Seeks 2 New Measure M Oversight Committee Members
The California Air Resources Board approved a $663 million low-carbon transportation plan Thursday to increase the use of clean cars, heavy-duty trucks, buses and freight equipment.
Air Resources Board OK’s $663 Million for Clean Vehicles
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released its public safety and crime information report for Saugus (Zone 4) for December 4-10, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Petty Theft in Saugus
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has filed his strong opposition to the Trump Administration’s illegal attempt to suspend the 2015 Clean Water Rule for two years.
California AG, 10 Others Oppose Feds’ Suspension of Clean Water Rule
Conservation groups on Friday lobbied a federal judge for permission to join a fight between the federal government and a ranching association over a trio of California amphibian species.
Conservationists Lobby to Join Fray Over Frog Habitat
1987 - Incorporation: Santa Clarita officially becomes a city [story]
With an offense that challenged the program’s single-season goals record, The Master’s University women’s soccer team was almost almost never out of any game it played: The Mustangs were always within striking range.
Lady Mustangs Within Range of Directors’ Cup Top Spots
When Ed Jackiewicz met Tera Trujillo in spring 2015, she was studying at a desk she’d carried to the corner of the California State University, Northridge soccer field, in a “time out” of sorts, unable to practice because she’d just earned a D in an economics class.
CSUN’s “Under Armour Faculty” Promotes Academic Success in Student-Athletes
When Rafael Munoz recalls his time at the Layer 8 Computer Security Club at California State University, Northridge, he feels proud and thankful.
CSUN’s Tech Education Makes Top 10 List
The city of Santa Clarita Arts and Events division is currently seeking proposals for solo exhibits for 2018 in the gallery space at The MAIN, the City’s newest arts venue in Old Town Newhall.
City Seeking Artists for 2018 Solo Exhibits
NORTHRIDGE, Calif.---CSUN Men's Basketball returns to the road for the final time in the non-conference season this weekend.
CSUN to Face-Off Against Formal Rival Eastern Washington
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Friday:
Dec. 15: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
This Friday and Saturday (Dec. 15-16), The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance brings their annual Winter Dance Concert to the REDCAT stage.
Dec. 15, 16: Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance Concert at REDCAT
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board has approved naming Dr. Collyn Nielsen as Chief Administrative Officer and Jan Hayes-Rennels as Director of Special Programs and Staff Development.
Hart Appoints Nielsen, Hayes-Rennels to District Office Positions
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The CSUN men's volleyball team was picked to finish third in the inaugural Big West Men's Volleyball Preseason Coaches Poll announced Thursday.
Big West Pre-Season Coaches Poll Puts Matadors Volleyball at No. 3
A 44-year-old transient was arrested by SCV Sheriff's Station deputies Wednesday afternoon after he allegedly tried to pick up his 8-year-old niece from a school in Santa Clarita.
Suspect Arrested in Attempted Kidnapping
It was a night to honor exceptional mentors at California State University, Northridge, but the five recipients of the 2017 Don Dorsey Excellence in Mentoring Awards just wanted to talk about their students.
CSUN Pays Tribute to Mentors Who Have Made a Difference
The words leapt right off the page and hung in the air, heavy, encircling the audience. Their creator stood, offering his gifts of verse — shared in a powerful baritone voice.
Literary Star Power Comes to CSUN
While critical fire conditions continue through Friday, the final numbers for the Rye Fire have been released.
Officials Release Final Numbers on Rye Fire
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board held it’s annual reorganizational meeting Wednesday night, naming Steve Sturgeon as Board President.
Steve Sturgeon Named 2018 Hart Board President