Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

July 17
1834 - Sinforosa, daughter of Narciso and Crisanta, born at Mission San Fernando; mom from Tejon, dad from Piru; believed to be last speaker of Tataviam language (died 1915) [record]

The Real Side | Commentary by Joe Messina
| Monday, Feb 17, 2014

joemessinamugEver notice that when you strike up a conversation about faith or make faith remarks in front of those ignorant to faith, they either chuckle or make some snide remark? No, it doesn’t happen every time, but most of the time, it does.

Every Friday on my radio show I do a segment called “Faith Fridays” where I speak about issues of various faiths, from what they believe to how they operate. It’s been a regular thing for almost three years now, and it’s a listener favorite. I bring in experts and people practicing their religion. I can talk about Buddhists, Spiritualists, Rastafarians and even Jews and Muslims with little or no blowback. But if I mention that a Christian has been persecuted or make a comment about what atheists have to look forward to after death, Twitter lights up like I’ve stuck these guys with a red-hot poker in the eye.

One particular Friday, I covered the story about the lesbian couple who made their debut in a popular Disney Channel show. I stated there was no warning, no show teasers, nothing to let parents know what was coming. In my opinion, that was the wrong thing for Disney to do.

Many religious parents who don’t approve of that lifestyle are blindsided by this kind of thing all the time through other avenues. With the Disney Channel, because they have always had traditional values in family shows, religious parents were lulled into a false sense of security when that changed.

Well, you would have thought I asked people to skin cats alive in the town square. Between the Disney story and our Tweet asking for people to call in with their religious stories, the phones lit up like never before and Producer Tammy took about 30 calls in 30 minutes. Most said they wanted to talk about Christian bullying or tell their story. The games had begun.

People said they were calling in from all over the world, laying out stories to get them on the air to share their religious epiphany, outrage, confusion, you name it. Nearly every one of them was a prank call. Sometime after about the fifth caller, I made a statement that this is exactly how the left operates. For some reason it seems they cannot disagree in conversation without being nasty and resorting to disrupting the flow of conversation. It’s the equivalent of tipping the game board over when you realize you’re losing and have no chance of winning.

The next caller tried to call me on the carpet and asked me why I thought all of these calls were coming from left-leaning people. That was an easy one, and I don’t have a high IQ. It’s simply because I have yet to hear any right-wing conservatives calling liberal radio shows and tell them how “f—ing stupid” they are for believing in God or that Christians don’t have to follow Christ to be Christians, or that Christians don’t have to read the Bible to be Christians. So I can be a heart surgeon by studying computer science? Or maybe a plumber by studying auto mechanics? Sure makes sense to me. I have yet to hear right-wing conservatives simply calling with the intended purpose to disrupt a liberal show.

Why point a finger at the left? Because they have great role models and examples by which to learn from: Pelosi, Reid, Weiner, Jackson Lee, Rangel. Should I go on? They’ve taken name-calling and distraction techniques to a new high. Yes, I heard over and over again how Christians were bullies and “stupid” for believing in a higher being. These fools only come out in force when I discuss faith.

When I listen to left-leaning radio shows, as I do to get ready for my show, I have yet to hear the right do the things that were done to me, and others like me, on the show this past Friday.

People made up stories – I mean, lied – to get on and then started with the foul language or playing loud, nasty music during the call. How mature. How enlightened. How proud they must feel. Some called in to show me they could make fun of Jesus to my face. Unlike other hosts, and to the irritation of some of my listeners, I let them go on until they used foul language and then cut them off. I wanted people to hear the default fallback position of the left.

Why can’t the left have an open and non-foul-mouthed, spoiled-brat response when they start losing the argument? It’s almost like they never grew up or feel like they are owed something. And anyone who disagrees with them gives them license to act immature and stupid.

Hey. You on the left who subscribe to these tactics … why don’t you take that education you received on wasted taxpayer money and actually try to do something good? Have a real, open, non-juvenile, adult conversation with someone on the right. Get an idea about how they think as a person, not just talking points. And if you really believe you’re right, try to sway them with good conversation. Or is that too much for you to do?

I guess if you are using Harry Reid’s playbook as your guide, then you are right on. Keep up the good work. Friday’s show proved me to be 100 percent correct. Most young, hard-left progressives have nothing to fight with but nasty conversation and demeaning words.

Joe Messina is host of The Real Side (TheRealSide.com), a nationally syndicated talk show that runs on AM-1220 KHTS radio and SCVTV [here]. He is also a member of the Hart School Board. His commentary publishes Mondays.

1. Awwwww, little Joey got hurt. Man up, it’s a radio show.

2. Funny I find it opposite of what he says. Right wing radio is nasty and hateful and they are masters at name calling just watch five minutes of Fox News if you can stomach it. This guy likes to play victim poor thing.

3. Funny I find it opposite of what he says. Right wing radio is nasty and hateful and they are masters at name calling just watch five minutes of Fox News if you can stomach it. This guy likes to play victim poor thing.

4. Nicole Frey Nicole Frey says:

Is that worse than homophobic and self righteous? Nice spin job.

5. Nicole Frey Nicole Frey says:

Is that worse than homophobic and self righteous? Nice spin job.

6. J. Schwartz says:

To the passage, “I can talk about Buddhists, Spiritualists, Rastafarians and even Jews and Muslims with little or no blowback,” my original response was, My how impressively enlightened of you and your audience. As I thought more about the tone and yes, the slant if the op-ed piece I concluded your response to be less enlightened than the group (or one individual judging from the tactics used). I question the effectiveness if not the motive of your producer for allowing those particular calls to be aired; it seems like to me at least these were allowed in order to support your ad hoc attack on anyone to your left and justify your reasoning of lumping anyone in that viewpoint of wearing the same tin foil hats. Too bad your piece took this paranoid slant because your original topic was an interesting one but got lost under all the anger.

7. On liberals that are offended by his radio show:

“why don’t you use that education you received on wasted taxpayer money and actually try to do something good?”

What am I reading? This is a leader in our community?

8. On liberals that are offended by his radio show:

What am I reading? This is a leader in our community?

9. DaveR says:

“What was the question?” -Irwin Corey, PhD

10. Spot on. Keep up the good work Mr. Messina. I’ll have to tune in next week.

11. I’m confused by what Joe considers “traditional values in family shows”. Most Disney shows feature single parents and blended families. Where is Zak and Cody’s dad anyways? Well, as long as he’s straight it doesn’t matter?

Would be nice if every time a same-sex couple were about to appear, on TV or in real life, a warning alarm would sound so that you could hide your kids, right?

12. What does this have to do with Benghazi?

13. Lee Morrell says:

You received 30 calls in 30 minutes, all of them prank calls? What, no real callers called? What does that tell you about your show, your listeners and your engaged listeners? Precisely…time to hang it up, Joe.

14. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

A member of the Hart School Board feels that our tax dollars are being ‘wasted’ on education…hmmmm. Doesn’t sound like someone who really cares about our students education, IMO.

15. Lisa says:

Have you possibly considered that there are people that are neither “left”or “right” that choose to make comments for their 15 seconds of fame? Perhaps if you stopped with the blatant labeling, Joe, you might find that in general you have intelligent people, ignorant people, compassionate people, and selfish people. Their affiliation has nothing to do with any of this. Give the whole “it’s the left” cry a rest.

16. Another article that starts from a false premise by extrapolating one instance of something objectionable and falsely claiming it happens “most of the time”, and ultimately concludes everyone on “the left (has) an open and non-foul-mouthed, spoiled-brat response when they start losing the argument”. Man Joe it must be miserable in that world you’ve chosen to live in – I feel for you!

17. Jody says:

Most of the remarks here simply fortify Messina’s contention. They are ad hominem attacks on him and do not address the issues he brings up.

These are his observations from his experience, and I am guessing that not one person here even heard the show, yet are labeling him a liar or wild over-exaggerator with little substance in his observations.

Anyone comparing hatred from many on the left to Fox News simply betrays their ignorance and blinding bias. Fox News is unashamedly conservative, but they consistently and frequently (daily) invite Liberals on their programs and respectfully give them the opportunity to share their views, then engaging in genuine debate on the FACTS. Find me a Left-Wing counterpart that even comes close.

And find me a truly foul-mouthed conservative talkshow. I can give you dozens on the left. Many dozens. It would be great if we all played by the same rules and the playing field was even, but it isn’t and never will be.

Fact is, many on the Left play by completely different rules. Their worldview is different, definitions of right and wrong are different, good and evil (if there even IS evil), what is healthy and what is unhealthy. They are greatly and constantly affected by culture and its changing norms, mores, and values. There is no “baseline” for what is right; it changes like the winds.

If you are going to claim to be the Voice of Tolerance, The True Voice of Reason, then a good start would be to ACT that way. Personal attack, obscenities, DEMANDING that everyone embrace homosexuality as normal and healthy does not become you. And whatever “good” causes you truly do try to advance are corrupted by those in your midst who attack others while you tolerate– or even embrace– them.

Thankfully not all Liberals are mean-spirited, intolerant, personally attacking conservatives from their feelings instead of respectfully engaging in fact-based dialogue. Those are Liberals I can be friends with, and am friends with. Iron sharpening iron.

To the rest of you, feel free to attack me here.
    It’s the new normal. But it is ugly and hurtful to our republic– including you and your progeny.

18. Kris K says:

My comment is purely based on the Disney Channel issue. No tv channel will ever promote a show and highlight the sexual orientation of the characters. His comment in the article seems a bit naive if he feels the Disney Channel should say watch our show and FYI the characters are gay. Won’t happen. Religion really has nothing to do with what Disney will do. I will say good job Disney for recognizing that being gay is a part of the world we live in and having openly gay characters on their show.

19. I’m proud to be a liberal we are compassionate people who want the best for people. Liberal is not a dirty word.

20. Does anyone know the date this show aired? (J’s show- not the Disney show)

21. Erin says:

It was ‘Good Luck Charlie’ – http://asdresmersdo.com and you will see Joe’s stand-up RIGHT made death threats against the youngest actress on said Disney show.

So while our school board member is complaining that his wife/producer couldn’t screen calls properly a child actor in Los Angeles was being threatened because her character had a play date with a child with two Moms.

I’m sorry but it’s time this homophobe resigns from the school board. His hate speech isn’t what our community is all about- unless the Hart District thinks otherwise?

22. Byron says:

I read your article and as much as you chastise the “left” by the action of the few you are doing the same thing you are accusing the “left” are doing to the “right”. Meaning making assumption that the action of a few (callers on your show) speak for the entire group of people that may not agree with your positions. Also when either side use such broad languate as “left” or “right” it is so vague you allow your readers to make assumptions and take sides in general as oppose to take sides on detailed issues. Now I agree your right to request Disney or any station to have certain warnings of content they will be showing but again they are a for profit entity that does things based on profits. Now what are you advocating that further government regulations dictate to for profit companies must have a warning about same sex lifestyle? Come on bigger government?? I guess you and others can protest by not watching the channel or buy their products and see if that will have an influence on how they structure their programs. Now I personally believe that lifestyle is okay and if I didn’t then I would speak to my children and let them know my opinion and expose them before they are exposed by tv programs. Be involved and have faith that your belief will out weigh what they may see on TV. Now on another subject in many instances the “right” (and yes I am using that word) or those minority who claim to be on the “right” have killed people of same sex couples, killed others who do not “believe” in what they believe in the name of God. Many people hiding behind religion use this to justify their actions. Now I am not a religious expert but I can’t believe God or the higher being you believe in would approve. Many of your points in your article have holes in the reasoning.

23. DaveR says:

If you take your trusty old copy of Mein Kampf off the dusty shelf and change everywhere it says “Jew” to “Liberal”, you have the script for the radical right wingers and their plan to turn the USA into a theocratic hellscape.

They have been slowly brainwashing the American People (and actually making them dumber in the process) since November 1964. More people believe in the supernatural than ever. We are sheep, rudely jostling for a good view of the slaughter.

24. My brand of family values involves a family that loves and supports each other, and a society that values loving families. It amazes me that people can denigrate others in the name of “family values.”

Honestly, the thing I’d rather protect my son from is the sort of intolerance you espouse. The Jesus Christ I learned about in Sunday School talked about loving our neighbors, not casting stones, and not pronouncing judgments when we ourselves are all sinners. And all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord.

25. Hi Joe, Interesting column. Remember a few months ago when you and B.J. Atkins openly took on Bob Haueter, ON TV, and asked him to resign? That certainly showed that there is huge difference of view within the Republican Party, or the “local right”. It is certainly the same among Democrats, or “the left”. In San Fernando Valley, there are 45 Democratic Clubs. The reason is because of different viewpoints. There is no such entity as “the left”, just as there is no such entity as “the right”. The examples of differences within both “groups” are overwhelming in number. The final point is that it would be foolish to extrapolate anonymous callers behavior beyond what they are, which is anonymous callers. As far as nasty, hateful speech and behavior from those on the right (what ever that is), just take a look and listen for yourself. You cannot avoid it and will find it in profusion.

26. Anonymous says:

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Jul 2, 2018
In her July message, Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste wishes residents a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July, and recaps a bit of local history.
Sunday, Jul 1, 2018
The Mojave rattlesnake or “Mojave green” is a highly irritable and unpredictable pit viper. By comparison, the Pacific rattlesnake you might be accustomed to is fairly tame.
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
Your rights guarantee that you get the health services the law says you can get, protect you against unethical practices, and ensure the privacy of your personal and medical information. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at all times, and to be protected from discrimination.
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
California voters just bought the feel-good tax proposition that was stated to raise yet another $4 billion for “clean water” funds. Days later, Brown declared it isn’t enough. There will be another ballot measure in November to raise another $8 billion.
Friday, Jun 8, 2018
Our state leaders are finally working together to address one of the greatest inequities in higher education – funding for California community colleges that serve high need students.
Wednesday, Jun 6, 2018
Not every decision on the table must be made within the next week. When it comes to deciding how to fund community colleges, it would be wise to hit pause and devote more careful consideration to the discussion.

The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Lone Vote on Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness
Officials at the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner have identified the body of a man who was found in a Canyon Country field Monday night.
Man Found Dead in Canyon Country
Single Mother's Outreach is currently accepting honoree nominations and artist applications through July 30.
Single Mother’s Outreach Accepting Nominees, Artist Applications
The Stay Green Inc. team has been rewarded for its excellence with eight awards — including four prestigious first-place honors — in the 59th Annual Landscape Beautification Awards presented by the San Fernando Valley Chapter of the California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA).
Stay Green Earns Four First-Place Landscape Honors
Here is the list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for July 18-20:
July 18-20: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
The city of Santa Clarita saw an increase in on-location filming in Fiscal Year 2017-2018 (July 2017 to June 2018), with the Film Office recording 560 film permits and 1377 film days, which generated an estimated $33.1 million in economic impact to the local community.
Santa Clarita Sees Increase in On-Location Filming for 5th Straight Year
Six Santa Clarita Artists Association members were accepted in the impressive La Galeria Gitana exhibit, "Around the World in 80 Paintings."
Aug. 11: Artists Association Presents, ‘Around the World in 80 Paintings’
LOS ANGELES – A former staffer for a member of the United States Congress was sentenced today to 18 months in prison for bribery and attempted extortion after demanding and accepting $5,000 to prevent the closure of a marijuana shop in the city of Compton.
Santa Clarita Man Gets 18 Months in Prison for Bribery, Attempted Extortion
Berry Petroleum Corp., owner of the Placerita oil field west of Sierra Highway between Placerita Canyon Road and Golden Valley Road in Santa Clarita - and many other oil properties in the San Joaquin Valley - announced Monday that it has launched an initial public offering of its common stock.
Placerita Oil Field Owner Going Public Again
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting health care professionals and patients of a voluntary recall of several drug products containing the active ingredient Valsartan, used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure.
Blood Pressure Medicine Valsartan Recalled for Cancer-Causing Impurity
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is Wednesday, July 18 at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
July 18: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee, a division of the Santa Clarita City Council, will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, July 18, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
July 18: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
Since April, TMU grad Zach Klindworth has worked and trained with a soccer team in Iceland, 4,000 miles from Santa Clarita, the only city he'd ever known.
TMU Soccer Alum Zach Klindworth Takes Talents to Iceland
The Lancaster JetHawks scored a run in the seventh inning to take the lead and hung on to beat Lake Elsinore, 3-2, Sunday evening at The Hangar.
JetHawks Hang on for Sunday Win Over Storm
Lake Elsinore proved too much for the JetHawks Saturday night, handing Lancaster an 11-4 loss at The Hangar.
Lancaster JetHawks Overcome by Storm Saturday
The Lancaster JetHawks opened up a four-game series with a 6-2 win over the Lake Elsinore Storm in front of 4,348 at The Hangar Friday night to kick off Star Wars Weekend.
The Force With JetHawks in Friday Win Over Storm
Saxtravaganza, Santa Clarita's all-saxophone chamber ensemble, will play a free concert at Hart Hall (inside Hart Park) on Thursday, July 19, starting at 7 p.m.
July 19: Saxtravaganza Chamber Ensemble Returns to Hart Hall
Members of the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley will participate in the semi-annual Pinewood Derby at the Newhall Clubhouse on Wednesday, July 18 starting at 4:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Boys & Girls Club Pinewood Derby
The city of Santa Clarita's Community Preservation Division sent a notice of violation Monday to the owners of the Canyon View Mobile Home Estates property in Canyon Country, ordering the removal of multiple solar panels installed on the hillside just north of the park.
Canyon Country Mobile Home Park Cited for Hillside Solar Panels
Ingrid Moon, a sixth-grade science facilitator at tuition-free public charter school iLEAD Encino, and Kimberli Lengning, a facilitator at iLEAD Lancaster, have been named Distinguished STEM Educators by Columbia University.
iLEAD Science Facilitators Named Distinguished STEM Educators
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley the week of July 16-22, 2018.
‘Mayans,’ ‘Santa Clarita Diet,’ Spots, Student Films Now Shooting in SCV
The Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District confirmed West Nile virus in a sample of mosquitoes collected from Panorama City (zip code 91402), the first confirmation of WNV activity in the district’s service area this year.
First West Nile Positive Mosquitoes Found – Panorama City
Air quality is very unhealthy for all residents of the Santa Clarita Valley Monday, according to an alert from the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
AQMD: Air Quality Very Unhealthy Monday for SCV Residents
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man with an outstanding warrant who was allegedly also in possession of drugs in Stevenson Ranch early Saturday morning.
Golden Valley High School grad U.S. Air Force Airman Victoria A. Arguello has graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Santa Clarita USAF Airman Victoria Arguello Completes Basic Training
1925 - Actor Harry Carey files patent on the original 160-acre Saugus homestead he'd purchased in 1916 (now Tesoro Del Valle) [story]
1891 - R.E. Nickel publishes area's first newspaper, The Acton Rooster [story]
Stay out of the water at Pyramid Lake in Los Angeles County until further notice and avoid eating fish from the lake due to the presence of blue-green algae.
Algae in Pyramid Lake at ‘Danger’ Level – Keep Out
1769 - Portolá party sets out from San Diego; first Europeans to "discover" Santa Clarita Valley 3½ weeks later [story]
The CTG Stars teenage summer workshop production of "Shrek: The Musical, Jr." takes the stage at the Canyon Theatre Guild in Old Town Newhall for two final performances on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
July 14-15: CTG Stars Teen Workshop Stages ‘Shrek: The Musical Jr.’
The William S. Hart Museum will host an open house and summer fun event for kids on Thursday, July 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
July 19: Open House, Summer Fun Event for Kids at Hart Museum
College of the Canyons will accept an additional 500 students to its First-Year Promise program for the fall 2018 semester, an expansion made possible by funding from a new state program called California College Promise.
COC to Accept 500 More First-Year Promise Students