Partly sunny
Partly sunny

October 18
1876 - Southern Pacific begins subdividing town of Newhall (original location at Bouquet Junction) [story]

The Real Side | Commentary by Joe Messina
| Monday, Feb 17, 2014

joemessinamugEver notice that when you strike up a conversation about faith or make faith remarks in front of those ignorant to faith, they either chuckle or make some snide remark? No, it doesn’t happen every time, but most of the time, it does.

Every Friday on my radio show I do a segment called “Faith Fridays” where I speak about issues of various faiths, from what they believe to how they operate. It’s been a regular thing for almost three years now, and it’s a listener favorite. I bring in experts and people practicing their religion. I can talk about Buddhists, Spiritualists, Rastafarians and even Jews and Muslims with little or no blowback. But if I mention that a Christian has been persecuted or make a comment about what atheists have to look forward to after death, Twitter lights up like I’ve stuck these guys with a red-hot poker in the eye.

One particular Friday, I covered the story about the lesbian couple who made their debut in a popular Disney Channel show. I stated there was no warning, no show teasers, nothing to let parents know what was coming. In my opinion, that was the wrong thing for Disney to do.

Many religious parents who don’t approve of that lifestyle are blindsided by this kind of thing all the time through other avenues. With the Disney Channel, because they have always had traditional values in family shows, religious parents were lulled into a false sense of security when that changed.

Well, you would have thought I asked people to skin cats alive in the town square. Between the Disney story and our Tweet asking for people to call in with their religious stories, the phones lit up like never before and Producer Tammy took about 30 calls in 30 minutes. Most said they wanted to talk about Christian bullying or tell their story. The games had begun.

People said they were calling in from all over the world, laying out stories to get them on the air to share their religious epiphany, outrage, confusion, you name it. Nearly every one of them was a prank call. Sometime after about the fifth caller, I made a statement that this is exactly how the left operates. For some reason it seems they cannot disagree in conversation without being nasty and resorting to disrupting the flow of conversation. It’s the equivalent of tipping the game board over when you realize you’re losing and have no chance of winning.

The next caller tried to call me on the carpet and asked me why I thought all of these calls were coming from left-leaning people. That was an easy one, and I don’t have a high IQ. It’s simply because I have yet to hear any right-wing conservatives calling liberal radio shows and tell them how “f—ing stupid” they are for believing in God or that Christians don’t have to follow Christ to be Christians, or that Christians don’t have to read the Bible to be Christians. So I can be a heart surgeon by studying computer science? Or maybe a plumber by studying auto mechanics? Sure makes sense to me. I have yet to hear right-wing conservatives simply calling with the intended purpose to disrupt a liberal show.

Why point a finger at the left? Because they have great role models and examples by which to learn from: Pelosi, Reid, Weiner, Jackson Lee, Rangel. Should I go on? They’ve taken name-calling and distraction techniques to a new high. Yes, I heard over and over again how Christians were bullies and “stupid” for believing in a higher being. These fools only come out in force when I discuss faith.

When I listen to left-leaning radio shows, as I do to get ready for my show, I have yet to hear the right do the things that were done to me, and others like me, on the show this past Friday.

People made up stories – I mean, lied – to get on and then started with the foul language or playing loud, nasty music during the call. How mature. How enlightened. How proud they must feel. Some called in to show me they could make fun of Jesus to my face. Unlike other hosts, and to the irritation of some of my listeners, I let them go on until they used foul language and then cut them off. I wanted people to hear the default fallback position of the left.

Why can’t the left have an open and non-foul-mouthed, spoiled-brat response when they start losing the argument? It’s almost like they never grew up or feel like they are owed something. And anyone who disagrees with them gives them license to act immature and stupid.

Hey. You on the left who subscribe to these tactics … why don’t you take that education you received on wasted taxpayer money and actually try to do something good? Have a real, open, non-juvenile, adult conversation with someone on the right. Get an idea about how they think as a person, not just talking points. And if you really believe you’re right, try to sway them with good conversation. Or is that too much for you to do?

I guess if you are using Harry Reid’s playbook as your guide, then you are right on. Keep up the good work. Friday’s show proved me to be 100 percent correct. Most young, hard-left progressives have nothing to fight with but nasty conversation and demeaning words.

Joe Messina is host of The Real Side (TheRealSide.com), a nationally syndicated talk show that runs on AM-1220 KHTS radio and SCVTV [here]. He is also a member of the Hart School Board. His commentary publishes Mondays.

1. Awwwww, little Joey got hurt. Man up, it’s a radio show.

2. Funny I find it opposite of what he says. Right wing radio is nasty and hateful and they are masters at name calling just watch five minutes of Fox News if you can stomach it. This guy likes to play victim poor thing.

3. Funny I find it opposite of what he says. Right wing radio is nasty and hateful and they are masters at name calling just watch five minutes of Fox News if you can stomach it. This guy likes to play victim poor thing.

4. Nicole Frey Nicole Frey says:

Is that worse than homophobic and self righteous? Nice spin job.

5. Nicole Frey Nicole Frey says:

Is that worse than homophobic and self righteous? Nice spin job.

6. J. Schwartz says:

To the passage, “I can talk about Buddhists, Spiritualists, Rastafarians and even Jews and Muslims with little or no blowback,” my original response was, My how impressively enlightened of you and your audience. As I thought more about the tone and yes, the slant if the op-ed piece I concluded your response to be less enlightened than the group (or one individual judging from the tactics used). I question the effectiveness if not the motive of your producer for allowing those particular calls to be aired; it seems like to me at least these were allowed in order to support your ad hoc attack on anyone to your left and justify your reasoning of lumping anyone in that viewpoint of wearing the same tin foil hats. Too bad your piece took this paranoid slant because your original topic was an interesting one but got lost under all the anger.

7. On liberals that are offended by his radio show:

“why don’t you use that education you received on wasted taxpayer money and actually try to do something good?”

What am I reading? This is a leader in our community?

8. On liberals that are offended by his radio show:

What am I reading? This is a leader in our community?

9. DaveR says:

“What was the question?” -Irwin Corey, PhD

10. Spot on. Keep up the good work Mr. Messina. I’ll have to tune in next week.

11. I’m confused by what Joe considers “traditional values in family shows”. Most Disney shows feature single parents and blended families. Where is Zak and Cody’s dad anyways? Well, as long as he’s straight it doesn’t matter?

Would be nice if every time a same-sex couple were about to appear, on TV or in real life, a warning alarm would sound so that you could hide your kids, right?

12. What does this have to do with Benghazi?

13. Lee Morrell says:

You received 30 calls in 30 minutes, all of them prank calls? What, no real callers called? What does that tell you about your show, your listeners and your engaged listeners? Precisely…time to hang it up, Joe.

14. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

A member of the Hart School Board feels that our tax dollars are being ‘wasted’ on education…hmmmm. Doesn’t sound like someone who really cares about our students education, IMO.

15. Lisa says:

Have you possibly considered that there are people that are neither “left”or “right” that choose to make comments for their 15 seconds of fame? Perhaps if you stopped with the blatant labeling, Joe, you might find that in general you have intelligent people, ignorant people, compassionate people, and selfish people. Their affiliation has nothing to do with any of this. Give the whole “it’s the left” cry a rest.

16. Another article that starts from a false premise by extrapolating one instance of something objectionable and falsely claiming it happens “most of the time”, and ultimately concludes everyone on “the left (has) an open and non-foul-mouthed, spoiled-brat response when they start losing the argument”. Man Joe it must be miserable in that world you’ve chosen to live in – I feel for you!

17. Jody says:

Most of the remarks here simply fortify Messina’s contention. They are ad hominem attacks on him and do not address the issues he brings up.

These are his observations from his experience, and I am guessing that not one person here even heard the show, yet are labeling him a liar or wild over-exaggerator with little substance in his observations.

Anyone comparing hatred from many on the left to Fox News simply betrays their ignorance and blinding bias. Fox News is unashamedly conservative, but they consistently and frequently (daily) invite Liberals on their programs and respectfully give them the opportunity to share their views, then engaging in genuine debate on the FACTS. Find me a Left-Wing counterpart that even comes close.

And find me a truly foul-mouthed conservative talkshow. I can give you dozens on the left. Many dozens. It would be great if we all played by the same rules and the playing field was even, but it isn’t and never will be.

Fact is, many on the Left play by completely different rules. Their worldview is different, definitions of right and wrong are different, good and evil (if there even IS evil), what is healthy and what is unhealthy. They are greatly and constantly affected by culture and its changing norms, mores, and values. There is no “baseline” for what is right; it changes like the winds.

If you are going to claim to be the Voice of Tolerance, The True Voice of Reason, then a good start would be to ACT that way. Personal attack, obscenities, DEMANDING that everyone embrace homosexuality as normal and healthy does not become you. And whatever “good” causes you truly do try to advance are corrupted by those in your midst who attack others while you tolerate– or even embrace– them.

Thankfully not all Liberals are mean-spirited, intolerant, personally attacking conservatives from their feelings instead of respectfully engaging in fact-based dialogue. Those are Liberals I can be friends with, and am friends with. Iron sharpening iron.

To the rest of you, feel free to attack me here.
    It’s the new normal. But it is ugly and hurtful to our republic– including you and your progeny.

18. Kris K says:

My comment is purely based on the Disney Channel issue. No tv channel will ever promote a show and highlight the sexual orientation of the characters. His comment in the article seems a bit naive if he feels the Disney Channel should say watch our show and FYI the characters are gay. Won’t happen. Religion really has nothing to do with what Disney will do. I will say good job Disney for recognizing that being gay is a part of the world we live in and having openly gay characters on their show.

19. I’m proud to be a liberal we are compassionate people who want the best for people. Liberal is not a dirty word.

20. Does anyone know the date this show aired? (J’s show- not the Disney show)

21. Erin says:

It was ‘Good Luck Charlie’ – http://asdresmersdo.com and you will see Joe’s stand-up RIGHT made death threats against the youngest actress on said Disney show.

So while our school board member is complaining that his wife/producer couldn’t screen calls properly a child actor in Los Angeles was being threatened because her character had a play date with a child with two Moms.

I’m sorry but it’s time this homophobe resigns from the school board. His hate speech isn’t what our community is all about- unless the Hart District thinks otherwise?

22. Byron says:

I read your article and as much as you chastise the “left” by the action of the few you are doing the same thing you are accusing the “left” are doing to the “right”. Meaning making assumption that the action of a few (callers on your show) speak for the entire group of people that may not agree with your positions. Also when either side use such broad languate as “left” or “right” it is so vague you allow your readers to make assumptions and take sides in general as oppose to take sides on detailed issues. Now I agree your right to request Disney or any station to have certain warnings of content they will be showing but again they are a for profit entity that does things based on profits. Now what are you advocating that further government regulations dictate to for profit companies must have a warning about same sex lifestyle? Come on bigger government?? I guess you and others can protest by not watching the channel or buy their products and see if that will have an influence on how they structure their programs. Now I personally believe that lifestyle is okay and if I didn’t then I would speak to my children and let them know my opinion and expose them before they are exposed by tv programs. Be involved and have faith that your belief will out weigh what they may see on TV. Now on another subject in many instances the “right” (and yes I am using that word) or those minority who claim to be on the “right” have killed people of same sex couples, killed others who do not “believe” in what they believe in the name of God. Many people hiding behind religion use this to justify their actions. Now I am not a religious expert but I can’t believe God or the higher being you believe in would approve. Many of your points in your article have holes in the reasoning.

23. DaveR says:

If you take your trusty old copy of Mein Kampf off the dusty shelf and change everywhere it says “Jew” to “Liberal”, you have the script for the radical right wingers and their plan to turn the USA into a theocratic hellscape.

They have been slowly brainwashing the American People (and actually making them dumber in the process) since November 1964. More people believe in the supernatural than ever. We are sheep, rudely jostling for a good view of the slaughter.

24. My brand of family values involves a family that loves and supports each other, and a society that values loving families. It amazes me that people can denigrate others in the name of “family values.”

Honestly, the thing I’d rather protect my son from is the sort of intolerance you espouse. The Jesus Christ I learned about in Sunday School talked about loving our neighbors, not casting stones, and not pronouncing judgments when we ourselves are all sinners. And all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord.

25. Hi Joe, Interesting column. Remember a few months ago when you and B.J. Atkins openly took on Bob Haueter, ON TV, and asked him to resign? That certainly showed that there is huge difference of view within the Republican Party, or the “local right”. It is certainly the same among Democrats, or “the left”. In San Fernando Valley, there are 45 Democratic Clubs. The reason is because of different viewpoints. There is no such entity as “the left”, just as there is no such entity as “the right”. The examples of differences within both “groups” are overwhelming in number. The final point is that it would be foolish to extrapolate anonymous callers behavior beyond what they are, which is anonymous callers. As far as nasty, hateful speech and behavior from those on the right (what ever that is), just take a look and listen for yourself. You cannot avoid it and will find it in profusion.

26. Anonymous says:

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017
It was 10 years ago this fall semester that we opened the Canyon Country Campus on Sierra Highway. We are celebrating a decade of academic excellence and community impact. What a difference a decade makes.
Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017
The Trump budget proposes decreasing funding to the Department of the Interior by $1.5 billion. Trump is calling for more drilling in national parks and monuments. He plans to open BLM land to drilling and fracking.
Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017
We are quickly approaching the culmination of the year-long celebration of our city’s 30th anniversary. It is truly a time to celebrate all the hard work, dedication, perseverance and passion that took our City from being a tiny portion of Los Angeles County to the thriving third largest city in the county.
Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017
This month marks an exciting milestone for the premier arts and entertainment district in Santa Clarita.
Friday, Sep 29, 2017
Kaepernick has never spoken of personally experiencing any negative interactions with the police. Appearances are he had a pretty nice life provided by people with white skin while living in a country that presented him with obvious, mind-boggling opportunities.
Thursday, Sep 28, 2017
Despite its close proximity to the city of Barstow, Rainbow Basin remains virtually undiscovered. It is well worth a visit. Visitors to the area can find scenic opportunities for hiking, rock scrambling, camping, photography, sightseeing and horseback riding.

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, in response to President Trump’s recent decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, has declared Oct. 16-20 "DACA Advocacy Week."
California Community Colleges Ramp Up DACA Advocacy
COC and the Hart District will host the 2017 College & Career Fair in the college’s Honor Grove on Saturday, Oct. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Oct. 21: 2017 College and Career Fair at COC
The College of the Canyons Art Gallery will showcase the work of Los Angeles-based painter Sheldon Figoten in a one-person exhibition of new paintings, “Light Fields,” opening Saturday, Oct. 28.
Oct. 28: Sheldon Figoten ‘Light Fields’ at COC Art Gallery
The Santa Clarita Artists Association held its 28th Annual Art Classic fine arts competition at William S. Hart Park's Hart Hall in Newhall on October 14.
Santa Clarita Artists Association Names Winners in 2017 Art Classic
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's 2017 Medal of Valor Awards were held Tuesday in Los Angeles, and SCV Sheriff's Station Deputy Dmitry Barkon was recognized for his bravery and heroic actions.
SCV Sheriff’s Deputy Dmitry Barkon Earns Medal of Valor
CalArts Center for New Performance (CNP), the professional producing arm of California Institute of the Arts, opens Fantômas: Revenge of the Image at Wuzhen Theatre Festival in Wuzhen, China, on Oct. 19.
Oct. 19: CalArts’ Fantomas: Revenge of the Image Premieres in China
The CSUN women's golf team fired rounds of 306-309 and is in fourth place, just eight shots off the pace at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Seattle University Invitational at the Tacoma Country and Golf Club in Tacoma, WA.
CSUN Just Eight Shots Off Pace At Washington Invitational
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Recreation, Community Services, Arts and Open Spaces Director Rick Gould announces retirement. Plus, the Board of Supervisors approve mental health care improvements. Check out these stories and more tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
The Advanced Technology Presentation about "Careers in the Making...Design, Engineering, Fabrication and More..." in celebration of National Manufacturing Day was a huge success.
SCV Students Gain Knowledge, Advice at National Manufacturing Day
A local company is expanding its footprint in the Santa Clarita Valley to accommodate business growth and another is relocating a division of its company from Sylmar.
Accurate Freight Systems Expands, Leases Space at IAC Commerce Center
The Domestic Violence Center (DVC) of Santa Clarita Valley is accepting applications for Adopt-a-Family 2017.
DVC of SCV Currently Accepting Adopt-a-Family 2017 Applications
Major Impact Theater, founded by Jill Garson and Shawnda Davis in 2014, is a non-profit theater group that specially adapts plays for performance by adults with disabilities in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Nov. 4: Major Impact Theater Presents Blunderland
California State University, Northridge will make history on Thursday, Oct. 26, by becoming the first California State University with a Sustainability Center.
Oct. 26: CSUN to Open Sustainability Center
Registration for the Purple Walk of Strength is now open.
Oct. 21: Purple Walk of Strength to Benefit Domestic Violence Center
Raising a child is a demanding job for any parent, especially when supportive resources seem to be elusive or nonexistent.
Oct. 22: CSUN Hosts Special Needs Resource Fair
College of the Canyons dominated its match vs. Bakersfield College from start to finish on Friday night, resulting in a 5-1 victory over the Renegades for the Cougars' first conference win of the season.
COC Gets First Conference Win of Season Against Bakersfield College
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Following a two-week layoff, College of the Canyons cross country was back in competition on Saturday, running with a mix of community college and Division I programs at the Sixth Annual UC Riverside Highlander Invitational.
COC Cross Country Back in Competition After Two Week Layoff
The race to qualify for the Big West Conference Men's Soccer Tournament continues for CSUN this week with a home match against UC Riverside Wednesday night before the Matadors head to UC Irvine Saturday.
Oct. 18: CSUN Faces Off Against UC Riverside
After 16 years as director of Parks, Recreation and Community Service for the city of Santa Clarita, Rick Gould announced Monday he's retiring in mid-December.
Rick Gould Retires as City’s Parks & Recreation Chief
High school seniors whose dream is to make a difference in the world by majoring in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) are invited to apply for Edison International’s $1.2 million Edison Scholars Program.
STEM Students Encouraged to Apply for Edison Scholars Program
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teenagers, ahead of all other types of injury, disease, or violence.
National Teen Driver Safety Week Underway
Elder abuse and scams targeting seniors are a growing problem, Santa Clarita detectives said, but there are numerous resources and protections available.
Resources, Outreach Available to SCV Victims of Elder Abuse
Despite rallying from an early 2-0 deficit, College of the Canyons dropped a 4-2 decision to visiting Victor Valley College on Friday.
Canyons Rally Not Enough To Hold Off Victor Valley College
The College of the Canyons baseball program and Playa Vista Orioles youth baseball organization will host a free instructional clinic for players ages 11-14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Cougar Field.
Oct. 21: Youth Baseball Clinic at COC
Sacramento – In an effort to curb the fraudulent use of Disabled Person Parking Placards, the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has launched a statewide public awareness campaign to educate Californians about the proper use of disabled parking placards and the consequences of misusing one.
DMV Launches Statewide Campaign on Use of Disabled Parking Placards
A California State University, Northridge program that provides support to undergraduate students from underrepresented communities to pursue graduate degrees in the mathematical sciences has been named a 2017 Example of Excelencia in Education.
CSUN Math Program Lauded 2017 Example of Excelencia in Education
RE/MAX of Valencia will be hosting a blood drive benefiting Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Nov. 1: RE/MAX Blood Drive to Benefit CHLA
Princess Cruises has officially announced its third annual Culinary Cruise Series, featuring famed Miami-based chefs Brad Kilgore and Scott Linquist.
Princess Cruises Will Feature Two Acclaimed Chefs in Culinary Cruise Series
1837 - Trapper Peter LaBeck killed by grizzly bear at El Tejon [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Governor Brown signed off on a new bill that will change local water retailers distribute water in SCV. Plus, a spicy and savory Saturday for charity. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, October 16, 2017
The Newhall School District's next Regular Board Meeting is Tuesday, October 17 at 6:15 p.m., and consideration of Newhall Family Theater approvals are on the agenda.
Oct. 17: Newhall School District Considers Newhall Family Theater OK
Master’s and Westmont College needed more than 90 minutes again Saturday to settle a Golden State Athletic Conference showdown in Santa Barbara.
Master’s Men Soccer Players Fall to Westmont in OT
Leaders from the CLWA and NCWC will meet in October, November and December to discuss their merger, which creates the Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency as of Jan. 1.
Next Step: Water Agency Officials to Share Merger Details
Master’s women soccer players and coaches alike were adamant after Saturday’s top-10 matchup that Westmont’s 5-2 win wasn’t nearly as lopsided as the score suggests.
Westmont Tops Master’s Women’s Soccer 5-2
Although Friday the 13th is a day generally associated with bad luck, CalArts turned the superstition on its ear as the community celebrated the inauguration of its fourth president, Ravi S. Rajan.
CalArts Inaugurates Ravi S. Rajan as Fourth President