Sunny
Sunny

November 15
1978 - Southern Pacific Saugus depot closes; later moved & used as SCV Historical Society museum [story]

Now and then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Mar 16, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I must have struck a chord with some folks in HOA neighborhoods in one of my last columns. You know, those neighborhoods where you pay anywhere from $20 to $400 per month to the Home Owners Association so they can tell you how treat you own property.

I’ve lived in such a place. In Virginia. Nice brick house. Great neighbors. An HOA managed by a company that couldn’t listen to the people who paid them.

Case in point. I had built a cedar fence and wanted to build a garden shed to match the fence. So I got the cedar materials for the shed and built it. The HOA had approved the location on my lot; it also approved the fence location.

I continued with the landscaping, and wouldn’t you know? A letter comes, telling me my shed is in violation of the rules that say it must match the house color. I asked them: Which color in the brick it should be painted? They replied, “The color of the shed must match the house color.”

We argued via letter until I finally painted the shed a light yellow to match the siding that was in the peaks of the roof of the house. Painted the trim white. Now that shed isn’t an eyesore to the community.

hoa_shedI took this picture when I was painting the shed for the second time.

Anyway, if you go look at that house today in Suffolk, Va., you cannot see the shed from the street in front of the house or on a cross street and not from the yard and street in back. The trees have grown so much, you cannot see the shed. It could be painted any color now, and nobody would know. It still does not match the house.

I go back to the neighborhood of Happy Valley in Newhall. Driving up Valley or Apple or on Maple and Cross. Obviously an HOA is needed. Can’t the people walking at night see the blight? OMG! Look at that huge RV parked in that driveway. An HOA would take care of that.

The various colors on the homes and the fence lines that seem to wander all over various properties are just appalling. Why don’t those people want an HOA to rein in such errors in judgment on the part of the property owners? How can they live in such a neighborhood? Don’t they know property values will go down if such blight remains?

You know that if folks put in half as much time and no money on working with whatever local government entity they are in, there wouldn’t be a need for an HOA. The county and the city of Santa Clarita have plenty of laws and regulations to counter suburban blight.

But I can make this promise and it will be kept. (Unlike the promises the president makes on just about any subject). If you like your HOA you can keep your HOA. Period. If you like your house looking like all the others in the neighborhood, keep it that way. Period.

There is another example of a neighborhood without an HOA not far from the SCV. It is located in Woodland Hills. IF you can find a place for sale there, you had best bring a lot of money. Homes that sold for $32,000 in 1972 are now listed for $1.5 million. If they have a view, the price nearly doubles. No HOA. A place, like Happy Valley, where you can say, “… and after you turn it is the green house with the black trim on the right and there is a little orange bridge in the front yard, too.”

In the 1950s in Castaic, we had a community swimming pool – as did Val Verde and Newhall. All operated by Los Angeles County. Paid for by taxes, but great places to spend summer days. Are you paying for a pool and tennis courts and park-like setting in your neighborhood? You want to feel you live in an “exclusive” neighborhood? Go ahead and keep your HOA. I, for one, will not buy is such a neighborhood. I want the freedom to see what my neighbors would say if I painted my house a nice fire-engine red. I want to see what they say to a desert landscape of cacti and mesquite, rocks and sand.

I wouldn’t exercise that “freedom,” but I sure as hell wouldn’t leave it to some group of people that might not like me.

Let me paraphrase the great, Groucho Marx: “I wouldn’t live in a neighborhood that would accept me as a neighbor … unless they accepted me ‘as-is’ without considering the color of my house and the trees I do or don’t plant.”

“Exlusive” usually means some will be excluded. I prefer that be decided by market values and not some HOA.

By the way, I hope this answers one of the comments I got via email. I will exercise my opinion about HOAs, and I will not darken the streets where you live. You might not like my kind there. Are your gate guards on post? No worry. I’m not coming there.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Carole Hunt Carole Hunt says:

Couldn’t agree more!

2. I always imagined those who run an HOA as a bunch of bored people desperately seeking some kind of authority. Luckily my fee is on the low end.

3. Agreed on mostly all fronts. Always fight the HOA stepford mentality, it’s such a boring waste of childlike “power”. It’s your house, do what you want.

4. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

The City is our new Homeowners Assoc.; When I met my Wife, she was at Princessa Estates. The HOE there are a bunch of Jack Booted Thugs. So when we got married, we decided to live in my house in old “North Oaks” in Cyn Ctry. Lo and behold, our neighbor across the street (who had been at war with his next door neighbors, and using the City as the stick) turns me into the City of SCV because my lawn wasn’t green enough in July. So, we were threatened with fines and time limits to comply. The City Rep came out and proceeded to point out the building and beautification code violations visible at all my neighbors houses (He even told me his Dad’s house ovr in Bouquet Cyn had a non permitted back patio cover!). I asked him why he didn’t report and cite them and he said, “Oh…WE don’t do that. We’re reactive, not proactive. But, if YOU call us and complain, we’ll come out to do it.” WTF ???? So, $1,500 and one vacation week later, we got off the City’s S— list. But, the illegal walls, dead & overgrown lawns, park strips, & trees, metal framed car covers in driveways, cars parked on lawns and on the streets unmoved for weeks, buckled sidewalks all over the neighborhood…that’s okay. Btw, I was also told that the City wouldn’t do any landscaping and improvements on Whites Canyon between Soledad Cyn Rd and Nadal St Because so many of the homes were under Prop 13, that we would have to agree to raise out taxes to have the improvements that the City had done on Soledad in the middle of nowhere between Bouquet and Reuther. They treat us like we’re a Barrio.

5. Thank God I don’t live in HOA!!! Don’t want people to tell me how I should live or where should I put my trash CAN!

6. brian says:

I live in an area in scv- my boa is pathetic my house is listed right now. I’ve see the lady that works for the hoa walking on the common area hill where my backyard fence is looking in and taking notes….. ridiculous

The spa is off all winter and on in the summer? Seems backwards… I could go on and on

7. Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

Where I live the HOA fees (condo complex) have just gone up and up and I remember once getting a fine for something i left on my balcony during a remodel. But now, the lawn directly in front of my condo is about a third gone, with no plans to fix it, we constantly have people dumping mattresses and couches into our dumpsters. which is another story. each building in the complex has 2 dumpsters. except mine, the top part o the complex has 1 and its meant to serve 12 condos, but we have the lower neighbors, another 16 condos, using our trash when they have their own 2 dumpsters. also, if i have a friend watching my place for a weekend, and they park in guest parking, they get a ticket but any other time, the guest parking is filled with residents and our “security” said they don’t care. GRRRRR. HOAs!

8. Come to Colorado in a non-hoa neighborhood. Weeds as tall as your shoulders. Trash sitting in yards for months at a time. Houses operating as businesses with neon “Open” signs in the windows. Yeah, HOA can get on your nerves. But you will never appreciate it until it’s gone. My house would easily be worth tens of thousands more if we had an H.O.A.

• Classic, you move away from California (probably because you said you were “tired of Californians”) and then you complain about pointless, idiotic things like “weeds” which are probably just natural landscape. Here’s a clue, you are what is ruining neighboring states. I moved to AZ, many people I know moved to Colorado, Utah, etc to get away from HOAs, weed smoking, hippies, yuppies, liberals, and all you idiots try to make every state ran like broke California. No wonder locals in these states hate when Californians move in. If I buy land, in a rural area, I really dont care if my neighbor has a trailer on *their* property. I dont care if they live like a slob, I dont care if they drive a crappy car. You know why? It doesn’t affect me. Say what you want about property values hoss, but you are free to go back to the left coast. Take all your like minded friends with you.

• Everything I said was true. Yeah, if you want to insert “rural” into the equation than go ahead and leave trash wherever you please. I never said anything about living in a rural area. If you live in a neighborhood, it’s nice to have H.O.A to keep everyone in check. Of course some can get out of hand, or charge too much money. You assumed I’m “tired of Californians”, when I never said that. You talked about weeds in “natural landscape” when I said some people let them get to shoulder length, which I am serious about and not exaggerating, shoulder length which is not only hideous but a fire hazard as well. You tell me to go back to the left coast, when the entire point I was making is no one wants to buy a house in a neighborhood that is run down by people letting their houses go to crap. Here is a perfect example from yesterday. Please explain how this is good for a neighborhood. http://www.krdo.com/news/toilets-and-sink-hanging-around-tree-in-front-yard/24997508

9. Chris Davis says:

I live in an HOA neighborhood and I LOVE IT!!!
    20 years ago when I lived in the valley, I had a dumbass neighbor who thought nothing of parking his 32 ft RV in front of my home ( he didn’t want to block his view, so that’s why he parked in in front of my house), blocking my views of the neighborhood and access to my driveway. LAPD wouldn’t come out and ticket, it was a constant issue with this lunkhead. My HOA is GREAT…fees haven’t been raised in the entire time that I have lived here. They don’t jump down your throat for every minor issue and my neighborhood looks great! I would rather not have someone park their boats, rv’s and misc crap in the driveways or on the streets for months at a time. But see that’s why living in SCV is so great…those of us who want a set tone for the properties move to HOA’s those who don’t live in NON_HOA’s. As an after thought on the condo’s/townhomes…yes I have owned a couple where the HOA gestapo did their weekly walks and ticketed you for such minor infractions as having a small wind decoration on your “not acceptable colored” umbrella. Seriously, those people need to run the prisons.

• Joan Kelly says:

Chris, you don’t need an HOA to enforce RV parking in Santa Clarita. The city has its own rules regarding this AND enforces them. I know. I have called in many RV violations and they are taken care of immediately.

But you are correct in your view of the “HOA gestapo”. These people are ridiculous and are normally retired people who nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood and notice things that no one else cares about.

10. Jayne saporito says:

Our HOA dues are $230 a month now, and still rising. We have one pool and a tennis court. It is the slope area that is wasting all the money. Constant gardening, 500k a year on it, ridiculous.

11. Joan Kelly says:

Jayne, the same is true in our HOA. We have nothing except slopes. We pay $132 a month and this will rise soon. Our HOA does not listen to the membership and makes decisions based on their own opinions and what they want. Our landscaping company gets over $150k a year for dead slopes.

12. SunshineCortes says:

Practical article , Apropos , if your business is searching for a SC DoR SC1120 , my business filled out and faxed a sample document here http://goo.gl/j7FY3H

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
It makes good sense to review your coverage each year. Make sure your plan still is a good fit for you in terms of cost, coverage, and quality.
Thursday, Oct 4, 2018
Local entrepreneurs, industry leaders and business owners are looking for employees who can communicate clearly, whether writing or speaking; effectively collaborate on teams; and quickly make decisions that benefit both the company and its customers.
Tuesday, Oct 2, 2018
Canyon Country is known as a major residential area in our City, as well as a popular commercial and retail spot.
Monday, Oct 1, 2018
In her message for October 2018, Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste invites the community to the annual State of the City Luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018
Not being able to record and document what Knight and Hill stated during the debate makes it difficult for our community to hold both of them accountable to what they say.
Friday, Sep 14, 2018
Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage have different benefits and costs that you should consider based on your personal needs. Medicare open enrollment season runs from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7, and it’s a good idea to know how the two types of Medicare work before you select one.

Smart & Final Stores, Inc., the value-oriented food and everyday staples retailer, reported Wednesday financial results for the fiscal third quarter ended Oct. 7, 2018.
Smart & Final Overall Sales Increased 2.8% Over Last Year
No. 1 College of the Canyons will host No. 4 Ventura College in a California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) Southern California Regional Playoff first round matchup at Cougar Stadium on Saturday Nov. 17. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
No. 1 Canyons Faces Off Against No. 4 Ventura in First Round Matchup
Grab your broom, don your ruby red slippers and travel to the wonderful land of Oz – long before Dorothy and her friends burst onto the scene.
City Offering ‘Wicked’ Excursion to Pantages Theatre
Republican incumbent Dante Acosta conceded Wednesday to Democratic challenger Christy Smith in the tight race for California's 38th Assembly District seat in the Nov. 6 general election.
Acosta Concedes to Smith in Assembly Race as Ballot Tally Continues
There's a temptation inherent to a free-flowing and high scoring game.
TMU Men’s Hoopsters Show Selflessness in Win Over Bethesda
TMU's women's volleyball team will fly to Sioux City, Iowa, to begin pool play on Nov. 27 to Nov. 29.
TMU Women’s Volleyball Earns Bye to NAIA Final Site in Iowa
Before Saturday night's GSAC title game, the PA announcer indulged himself in a bit of low-hanging humor.
TMU Women’s Volleyball Wins GSAC Tourney Title, Earns NAIA Bid
Master's women's volleyball team scored a 3-0 semifinal win over Menlo College on the way to the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament at Hope International in Fullerton.
TMU Women’s Volleyball Team Advances to GSAC Title Game
The Mustangs trailed almost all the way through three quarters, rallied in the fourth, and held on to down No. 7 Carroll 61-56 in Helena, Montana Friday.
TMU Women’s Hoopsters Close Trip with Win Over No. 7 Carroll
College of the Canyons was the team favorite to capture this year's California Community College Athletic Association women's golf state championship and the Cougars didn't disappoint on Monday, winning the program's third title.
Canyons Wins 2018 CCCAA Women’s Golf State Championship
No. 1 College of the Canyons completed a perfect 10-0 regular season and claimed its first conference championship in five years with a rousing 42-30 comeback victory over longtime conference rival No. 18 Bakersfield College.
No. 1 Cougars Finish Regular Season Perfect 10-0 to Claim Conference Title
Los Angeles County homeowners whose properties have been damaged or destroyed by the Woolsey, Hill, or Pike fires may be eligible for property tax relief.
County Officials Offer Property Tax Relief for Homeowners Affected by Wildfires
Until further notice, the California Film Commission will not accept applications for filming along Pacific Coast Highway, which is closed from Sunset Blvd. north to Las Posas Road due to the Woolsey Fire.
Filming Permit Applications Suspended in Woolsey Fire Areas
A small brush fire was reported off Interstate 5 south of Highway 138 in the Gorman area just after noon Wednesday, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station officials.
Firefighters Douse Small Brush Fire Near Gorman
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to approve a temporary rent stabilization policy in the unincorporated areas of LA County in order to protect renters threatened by skyrocketing rents.
Supes OK Rent Control Ordinance for Unincorporated County
California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. Wednesday surveyed wildfire damage in Butte County and issued an executive order to cut red tape and help streamline recovery efforts across the state.
Brown Surveys Fire Damage, Orders Streamlined Cleanup, Recovery Aid
Nearly 700,000 ballots cast in the Nov. 6 general election remain to be counted, according to the second ballot counting update from Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan on Tuesday afternoon.
County Posts Second Results Update for Nov. 6 Election
Express Employment Professionals will host the world-renowned Express Employment Professionals Clydesdales at the local Express office in Santa Clarita on Friday, Nov. 16, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Nov. 16: Express Employment Professionals to Host Clydesdales for Carousel Ranch Benefit
Tax revenue reported by the cannabis industry in the third quarter of 2018 totaled $93.1 million for returns received through Oct. 31, an increase of more than $13 million over the second quarter.
State Cannabis Tax Revenue Higher by $13M in Third Quarter 2018
The Civilian Oversight Commission for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will host its next monthly meeting on Thursday, Nov. 15, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Nov. 15: Civilian Oversight Commission for Sheriff’s Department Meeting
The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control is working to provide safe sheltering for animals as a result of the fires that have affected thousands of Los Angeles County residents.
County Shelters Caring for Animal Victims of Woolsey Fire
1935 - Voters approve $22,000 construction bond to build a bigger Saugus School. WPA kicked in another $17,181. [story]
As late absentee and provisional ballots continue to be counted in Los Angeles and Ventura counties, Democratic challenger Christy Smith has pulled ahead of Republican incumbent Dante Acosta in the 38th Assembly District race.
Smith Takes Lead Over Acosta in Assembly Vote Tally
LOS ANGELES – As first responders continue to battle the #WoolseyFire, Los Angeles County has launched comprehensive and coordinated recovery efforts to support the residents displaced by the fire.
County Partners with State, Feds for Woolsey Fire Recovery Efforts
SCVi, iLEAD’s founding school serving learners in grades TK through 12, will welcome students, parents and interested members of the community to two Prospective Family Meetings Wednesday and Thursday.
Nov. 14, 15: SCVi’s Prospective Family Meetings
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Ralph Breaks the Internet, the sequel to the critical and commercially successful Wreck-It Ralph (2012), comes out next week (Nov. 21) on the day before Thanksgiving.
CalArts Alum Discusses Approach to ‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’
NORTHRIDGE - The CSUN men's and women's cross country teams completed the 2018 season Saturday at the NCAA West Regional Cross Country Championship at Haggin Oaks Golf Course in Sacramento.
Matadors Wrap Up 2018 Cross Country Season at NCAA West Regionals
A Monday morning collision in Stevenson Ranch killed one person, said officials at the California Highway Patrol.
Valencia Resident Killed in Stevenson Ranch Crash
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, smoke from Woolsey Fire has caused unhealthy air quality that affects everyone in areas directly impacted by smoke, including portions of:
Smoke Advisory Issued for SCV
The California State University (CSU) has announced accommodations for applicants affected by recent wildfires who are applying for admission to CSU campuses for the fall 2019 term.
CSU Applicants Affected by Wildfires May Request Deadline Extension
The Valley Industry Association presents “Cybersecurity in the Workplace” at its monthly business luncheon on Tuesday, Nov. 20, at 11:45 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency Valencia, 24500 Town Center Drive in Valencia.
Nov. 20: VIA presents ‘Cybersecurity in the Workplace’
NORTHRIDGE – California State University, Northridge’s dance program aims to provide a dynamic experience for students to collaborate with professionals and peers in all aspects of dance.
Nov. 14, 15: CSUN Hosts “Colaboratoria” Dance Concert
The California Enterprise Development Authority will be holding a Teleconference Meeting, Thursday, Nov. 15, at 10:30 a.m.
Nov. 15: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
Here is the Newhall (Zone 6) Crime Information and Public Safety Report for the week of Oct. 22, - Oct. 28, 2018:
Crime Blotter: Attempted Robbery, Grand Theft, Arson in Newhall