Sunny
Sunny

September 26
1876 - California oil industry born as CSO No. 4 in Pico Canyon becomes state's first commercially productive oil well [story]

Now and then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Mar 16, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I must have struck a chord with some folks in HOA neighborhoods in one of my last columns. You know, those neighborhoods where you pay anywhere from $20 to $400 per month to the Home Owners Association so they can tell you how treat you own property.

I’ve lived in such a place. In Virginia. Nice brick house. Great neighbors. An HOA managed by a company that couldn’t listen to the people who paid them.

Case in point. I had built a cedar fence and wanted to build a garden shed to match the fence. So I got the cedar materials for the shed and built it. The HOA had approved the location on my lot; it also approved the fence location.

I continued with the landscaping, and wouldn’t you know? A letter comes, telling me my shed is in violation of the rules that say it must match the house color. I asked them: Which color in the brick it should be painted? They replied, “The color of the shed must match the house color.”

We argued via letter until I finally painted the shed a light yellow to match the siding that was in the peaks of the roof of the house. Painted the trim white. Now that shed isn’t an eyesore to the community.

hoa_shedI took this picture when I was painting the shed for the second time.

Anyway, if you go look at that house today in Suffolk, Va., you cannot see the shed from the street in front of the house or on a cross street and not from the yard and street in back. The trees have grown so much, you cannot see the shed. It could be painted any color now, and nobody would know. It still does not match the house.

I go back to the neighborhood of Happy Valley in Newhall. Driving up Valley or Apple or on Maple and Cross. Obviously an HOA is needed. Can’t the people walking at night see the blight? OMG! Look at that huge RV parked in that driveway. An HOA would take care of that.

The various colors on the homes and the fence lines that seem to wander all over various properties are just appalling. Why don’t those people want an HOA to rein in such errors in judgment on the part of the property owners? How can they live in such a neighborhood? Don’t they know property values will go down if such blight remains?

You know that if folks put in half as much time and no money on working with whatever local government entity they are in, there wouldn’t be a need for an HOA. The county and the city of Santa Clarita have plenty of laws and regulations to counter suburban blight.

But I can make this promise and it will be kept. (Unlike the promises the president makes on just about any subject). If you like your HOA you can keep your HOA. Period. If you like your house looking like all the others in the neighborhood, keep it that way. Period.

There is another example of a neighborhood without an HOA not far from the SCV. It is located in Woodland Hills. IF you can find a place for sale there, you had best bring a lot of money. Homes that sold for $32,000 in 1972 are now listed for $1.5 million. If they have a view, the price nearly doubles. No HOA. A place, like Happy Valley, where you can say, “… and after you turn it is the green house with the black trim on the right and there is a little orange bridge in the front yard, too.”

In the 1950s in Castaic, we had a community swimming pool – as did Val Verde and Newhall. All operated by Los Angeles County. Paid for by taxes, but great places to spend summer days. Are you paying for a pool and tennis courts and park-like setting in your neighborhood? You want to feel you live in an “exclusive” neighborhood? Go ahead and keep your HOA. I, for one, will not buy is such a neighborhood. I want the freedom to see what my neighbors would say if I painted my house a nice fire-engine red. I want to see what they say to a desert landscape of cacti and mesquite, rocks and sand.

I wouldn’t exercise that “freedom,” but I sure as hell wouldn’t leave it to some group of people that might not like me.

Let me paraphrase the great, Groucho Marx: “I wouldn’t live in a neighborhood that would accept me as a neighbor … unless they accepted me ‘as-is’ without considering the color of my house and the trees I do or don’t plant.”

“Exlusive” usually means some will be excluded. I prefer that be decided by market values and not some HOA.

By the way, I hope this answers one of the comments I got via email. I will exercise my opinion about HOAs, and I will not darken the streets where you live. You might not like my kind there. Are your gate guards on post? No worry. I’m not coming there.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Carole Hunt Carole Hunt says:

Couldn’t agree more!

2. I always imagined those who run an HOA as a bunch of bored people desperately seeking some kind of authority. Luckily my fee is on the low end.

3. Agreed on mostly all fronts. Always fight the HOA stepford mentality, it’s such a boring waste of childlike “power”. It’s your house, do what you want.

4. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

The City is our new Homeowners Assoc.; When I met my Wife, she was at Princessa Estates. The HOE there are a bunch of Jack Booted Thugs. So when we got married, we decided to live in my house in old “North Oaks” in Cyn Ctry. Lo and behold, our neighbor across the street (who had been at war with his next door neighbors, and using the City as the stick) turns me into the City of SCV because my lawn wasn’t green enough in July. So, we were threatened with fines and time limits to comply. The City Rep came out and proceeded to point out the building and beautification code violations visible at all my neighbors houses (He even told me his Dad’s house ovr in Bouquet Cyn had a non permitted back patio cover!). I asked him why he didn’t report and cite them and he said, “Oh…WE don’t do that. We’re reactive, not proactive. But, if YOU call us and complain, we’ll come out to do it.” WTF ???? So, $1,500 and one vacation week later, we got off the City’s S— list. But, the illegal walls, dead & overgrown lawns, park strips, & trees, metal framed car covers in driveways, cars parked on lawns and on the streets unmoved for weeks, buckled sidewalks all over the neighborhood…that’s okay. Btw, I was also told that the City wouldn’t do any landscaping and improvements on Whites Canyon between Soledad Cyn Rd and Nadal St Because so many of the homes were under Prop 13, that we would have to agree to raise out taxes to have the improvements that the City had done on Soledad in the middle of nowhere between Bouquet and Reuther. They treat us like we’re a Barrio.

5. Thank God I don’t live in HOA!!! Don’t want people to tell me how I should live or where should I put my trash CAN!

6. brian says:

I live in an area in scv- my boa is pathetic my house is listed right now. I’ve see the lady that works for the hoa walking on the common area hill where my backyard fence is looking in and taking notes….. ridiculous

The spa is off all winter and on in the summer? Seems backwards… I could go on and on

7. Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

Where I live the HOA fees (condo complex) have just gone up and up and I remember once getting a fine for something i left on my balcony during a remodel. But now, the lawn directly in front of my condo is about a third gone, with no plans to fix it, we constantly have people dumping mattresses and couches into our dumpsters. which is another story. each building in the complex has 2 dumpsters. except mine, the top part o the complex has 1 and its meant to serve 12 condos, but we have the lower neighbors, another 16 condos, using our trash when they have their own 2 dumpsters. also, if i have a friend watching my place for a weekend, and they park in guest parking, they get a ticket but any other time, the guest parking is filled with residents and our “security” said they don’t care. GRRRRR. HOAs!

8. Come to Colorado in a non-hoa neighborhood. Weeds as tall as your shoulders. Trash sitting in yards for months at a time. Houses operating as businesses with neon “Open” signs in the windows. Yeah, HOA can get on your nerves. But you will never appreciate it until it’s gone. My house would easily be worth tens of thousands more if we had an H.O.A.

• Classic, you move away from California (probably because you said you were “tired of Californians”) and then you complain about pointless, idiotic things like “weeds” which are probably just natural landscape. Here’s a clue, you are what is ruining neighboring states. I moved to AZ, many people I know moved to Colorado, Utah, etc to get away from HOAs, weed smoking, hippies, yuppies, liberals, and all you idiots try to make every state ran like broke California. No wonder locals in these states hate when Californians move in. If I buy land, in a rural area, I really dont care if my neighbor has a trailer on *their* property. I dont care if they live like a slob, I dont care if they drive a crappy car. You know why? It doesn’t affect me. Say what you want about property values hoss, but you are free to go back to the left coast. Take all your like minded friends with you.

• Everything I said was true. Yeah, if you want to insert “rural” into the equation than go ahead and leave trash wherever you please. I never said anything about living in a rural area. If you live in a neighborhood, it’s nice to have H.O.A to keep everyone in check. Of course some can get out of hand, or charge too much money. You assumed I’m “tired of Californians”, when I never said that. You talked about weeds in “natural landscape” when I said some people let them get to shoulder length, which I am serious about and not exaggerating, shoulder length which is not only hideous but a fire hazard as well. You tell me to go back to the left coast, when the entire point I was making is no one wants to buy a house in a neighborhood that is run down by people letting their houses go to crap. Here is a perfect example from yesterday. Please explain how this is good for a neighborhood. http://www.krdo.com/news/toilets-and-sink-hanging-around-tree-in-front-yard/24997508

9. Chris Davis says:

I live in an HOA neighborhood and I LOVE IT!!!
    20 years ago when I lived in the valley, I had a dumbass neighbor who thought nothing of parking his 32 ft RV in front of my home ( he didn’t want to block his view, so that’s why he parked in in front of my house), blocking my views of the neighborhood and access to my driveway. LAPD wouldn’t come out and ticket, it was a constant issue with this lunkhead. My HOA is GREAT…fees haven’t been raised in the entire time that I have lived here. They don’t jump down your throat for every minor issue and my neighborhood looks great! I would rather not have someone park their boats, rv’s and misc crap in the driveways or on the streets for months at a time. But see that’s why living in SCV is so great…those of us who want a set tone for the properties move to HOA’s those who don’t live in NON_HOA’s. As an after thought on the condo’s/townhomes…yes I have owned a couple where the HOA gestapo did their weekly walks and ticketed you for such minor infractions as having a small wind decoration on your “not acceptable colored” umbrella. Seriously, those people need to run the prisons.

• Joan Kelly says:

Chris, you don’t need an HOA to enforce RV parking in Santa Clarita. The city has its own rules regarding this AND enforces them. I know. I have called in many RV violations and they are taken care of immediately.

But you are correct in your view of the “HOA gestapo”. These people are ridiculous and are normally retired people who nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood and notice things that no one else cares about.

10. Jayne saporito says:

Our HOA dues are $230 a month now, and still rising. We have one pool and a tennis court. It is the slope area that is wasting all the money. Constant gardening, 500k a year on it, ridiculous.

11. Joan Kelly says:

Jayne, the same is true in our HOA. We have nothing except slopes. We pay $132 a month and this will rise soon. Our HOA does not listen to the membership and makes decisions based on their own opinions and what they want. Our landscaping company gets over $150k a year for dead slopes.

12. SunshineCortes says:

Practical article , Apropos , if your business is searching for a SC DoR SC1120 , my business filled out and faxed a sample document here http://goo.gl/j7FY3H

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Sunday, Sep 24, 2017
It has been a year since Energy Transfer Partners bulldozed the sacred burial grounds just beyond the borders of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation to clear a path for the Dakota Access Pipeline – and about 10 months since I hightailed it over there. I want my friends to know what I know, and I want to be able to look back and remember some details before time wipes them away.
Thursday, Sep 21, 2017
Now that the formerly great state of California is a sanctuary, I’ve got to compare that action with the actions in the early 1860s of the Confederate States of America. They decided what laws they wanted to follow and what ones they didn’t.
Thursday, Sep 21, 2017
Hans' family did not know too much about his childhood or the country he had grown up in. About all the family knew was that Hans and his wife were born in Germany but had lived in this small Minnesota town for the last 60 years or more.
Thursday, Sep 21, 2017
There is a common insect that most people are not aware of because you never see it. It is mostly active underground. However, if you know what you are looking for, its traps are in many places and are very obvious.
Saturday, Sep 16, 2017
While not perfect, SB 54 kept intact our ability to maintain partnerships with federal law enforcement officials who help us in the fight against gangs, drugs and human trafficking. It also retains the controlled access that the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement has to our jails.
Thursday, Sep 7, 2017
Local residents have the right to record things their congressional leaders and legislative staff members say to residents of the 25th District and any of Rep. Knight's town hall meetings and legislative decisions.

A Newhall Ranch development expected to bring about 11.5 million square feet for commercial use and 21,000 homes to Santa Clarita’s west side, might be nearing an end to its lengthy legal battle with environmentalists.
Deal Reached Between Newhall Ranch Developers, Environmentalists
A bank robbery reported at the Wells Fargo on Lyons Avenue and Wiley Canyon Road is under investigation Monday, officials said.
Lyons Avenue Wells Fargo Robbed Second Time in Months
Valencia High School opened in 1994 with about 350 sophomores and 550 freshmen who would comprise the classes of 1997 and 1998. On Saturday, more than 230 of them attended the first-ever 20-year reunion of Valencia High School alumni.
Original Vikings Meet Up for Valencia High’s ‘First 20th’
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a 21 year old man was arrested as a suspect in a Valencia murder. Plus, see how this year's River Rally went. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, September 25, 2017
Young hockey players ages 13 to 16 from two Valencia Flyers travel teams participated in neuro-cognitive baseline assessments provided free by Providence Health & Services and its affiliate, Facey Medical Group.
Providence Provides Free Concussion Assessments for Youth Hockey Players
A proposal to transfer ownership of the Santa Clarita Emergency Winter Shelter from the city of Santa Clarita to non-profit organization Bridge to Home is among the items on the agenda for the City Council's regular meeting at City Hall on Tuesday, Sept. 26.
City Council May OK Year-Round Homeless Shelter
Valencia-based non-profit organization SNAP Sports will host a wine tasting event at Salt Creek Grille to benefit its special-needs sports program and the Valencia SNAP Flyers hockey team on Thursday, Oct. 5 starting at 6 p.m.
Oct. 5: Fundraiser at Salt Creek for SNAP Sports, Valencia SNAP Flyers
CSUN has built a “village” — spearheaded by the Office of Student Success Innovations — to tap into a wide pool of campus talent to find creative ways to help students succeed.
CSUN Creates a ‘Village’ to Support Student Success
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released public safety and crime prevention information for Newhall (Zone 6) for 09/11/17 to 09/17/17.
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Domestic Violence in Newhall
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has signed 19 bills and vetoed one passed by the Assembly and the Senate in their recently completed legislative sessions.
Gov. Brown Signs 19 Bills, Vetoes 1
CSUN will continue to enforce existing guidelines regarding sexual misconduct even as the U.S. Department of Education withdraws its guidelines for revision, Chancellor Timothy P. White told students in a letter.
CSUN Chancellor: No Changes Now in Sexual Misconduct Rules
The Master’s University Lady Mustangs volleyball team lost 3-1 to William Jessup in Rocklin on Saturday.
Mustangs Women’s Volleyball Team Trips Up in Rocklin
The TMU Mustangs men's soccer team pulled away from visiting William Jessup for a 4-1 victory on Reese Field on Saturday.
Tembo Tricks Jessup in TMU Men’s Soccer Win
Los Angeles County’s fight against homelessness reaches a key milestone on Tuesday, September 26, as the Measure H Citizens’ Oversight Advisory Board holds its inaugural meeting from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sept. 26: First Meeting of Measure H Citizens’ Oversight Board
The Master’s University soccer team’s 2-1 victory over William Jessup University Saturday came with less than 20 seconds to play in overtime at Reese Field.
Master’s Women’s Soccer Players Use OT to Avoid Upset
The Master’s University women’s volleyball team lost 3-0 at Menlo College by scores of 25-15, 25-22 and 25-23 Friday night.
Mustangs Volleyball Team Hits Road Bump at Menlo College
The No. 6 Cougars closed out the College of the Canyons Tri-Tourney by dropping a tough four-set decision to No. 18 Mira Costa Friday.
No. 6 Canyons Volleyball Team Clipped by No. 18 Spartans
No. 6-ranked College of the Canyons Cougars volleyball team rolled to a straight-set win over visiting Ventura College in the opening match of the COC Tri-Tourney Friday.
No. 6 Cougars Sweep Ventura to Open Canyons Tri-Tourney
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan will deliver the keynote address at California State University, Los Angeles for National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, September 26.
L.A. County Registrar to Give Keynote Speech on National Voter Registration Day
This fall, artist and CalArts alum Rubén Ortiz-Torres (Art MFA 92) participates in two exhibitions as part of "Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA," the Getty’s collaborative exploration of Latin American and Latino art.
Rubén Ortiz-Torres to Present Two Shows as Part of ‘Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA’
CalArts faculty and choreographer Rosanna Gamson of Rosanna Gamson/World Wide serves as the Creative Producer and Dramaturge of "Daedalus' Daughter," a new dance theater piece created by writer-director-performer Carol Katz.
Sept. 28-30: ‘Deadalus’ Daughter’ Keeps Dancing at Bootleg Theater
CalArts will kick off the 2017-2018 season of its acclaimed Wild Beast Concert Series with a free, outdoor performance by two large experimental jazz bands, The Daniel Rosenboom Octet and theBABAOrchestra, on Saturday night, Oct. 14.
Oct. 14: 21st Century Jazz Kicks Off CalArts’ 2017 Wild Beast Concerts
The Valencia High School Vikings football team pummeled the Bakersfield High School Drillers 56-14 at Valencia Friday night.
Valencia Vikings Pummel Bakersfield Drillers 56-14
A suspect has been arrested and charged with murder in the death of an unidentified man whose body was found in the 23600 block of Via Valer in Valencia Sunday afternoon.
Man Booked for Murder in Santa Clarita
Officers from the Los Angeles Police Department pursued three men suspected of robbing a pair of MetroPCS stores into Newhall Friday night, according to officials.
Armed Robbery Suspects Arrested After Pursuit Ends in Newhall
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has joined New York and 11 other states in filing an amicus brief in the United States Supreme Court to protect voters from having their names unlawfully removed from lists of registered voters.
California Joins Fight in U.S. Supreme Court to Protect Voters’ Rights
1970 - Lagasse family helps save Mentryville buildings as Newhall and Malibu brush fires erupt & join into worst fire in SoCal history. Twelve fires over 10 days burn 525,000 acres, kill 13 people and destroy approx. 1,500 structures. [story]
Standing Rock: Why I Went | Commentary by Leon Worden
1855 - Sanford & Cyrus Lyon establish Lyon's Station (for stagecoaches) near today's Sierra Hwy & Newhall Ave [story]
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
The governing boards of College of the Canyons and the William S. Hart Union School District are scheduled to discuss plans for a new Academy of the Canyons-style campus at the future Castaic High School when they sit down for their annual joint meeting Sept. 27.
COC, Hart Planning ‘North Academy’ at Castaic High School
The League of California Cities, with representatives from cities statewide including Santa Clarita, is calling for Gov. Jerry Brown to veto SB 649, which if enacted would allow the wireless industry to install new 5G equipment with little input from local jurisdictions.
League of California Cities Urges Governor to Veto 5G Wireless Equipment Bill
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, an off-duty LAPD officer and Canyon Country resident, died Thursday evening after a collision in Porter Ranch. Plus, check out all the exciting events happening this weekend. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, September 22, 2017
The new pedestrian bridge crossing McBean Parkway is expected to be open in time for weekend foot traffic.
New Pedestrian Bridge on McBean Parkway Set to Reopen
The Child and Family Center will begin providing outpatient substance use treatment services for adolescents and young adults with primary substance use disorders under the California Drug MediCal Program starting Tuesday, October 3.
Oct. 3: Child and Family Center Begins Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment