Partly sunny
Partly sunny

April 25
1891 - President Benjamin Harrison stops at Saugus Depot, dines at Tolfree's Saugus Eating House [story]

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I am so very proud to be living in the Santa Clarita Valley today. I got to watch government and citizens working – not together but working.

The City Council chamber was filled with citizens protesting the new billboard law. Yep, they protested and still got it, but they stood tall and held a good, old-fashioned protest.

So close to an election, it was brave and maybe dumb for incumbents even to consider a vote on the subject. People hate billboards of any kind. They really don’t like electronic billboards. We’re getting them now. For at least the next 50 years or until all of the lawyers get enough money to stop them.

Many members of my family are buried at Eternal Valley including my parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and brother-in-law. I’m sure they like the idea of a flashing electronic billboard so near their final resting place. Of course, the dead can’t protest. It appears the people protesting were having as much effect on the council.

But that isn’t the point. The point is, citizens took the time to get out and protest with passion. It was a peaceful but forceful protest. Folks don’t like the deal.

Now if each one of those protesters can get one or two other people to vote, come election day, maybe they can be heard, after all. That is how we do term limits in this country. We vote them out of office. If we have term limits, it is automatic, and people don’t bother to vote. It is a double-edged sword. But is what we, as citizens, have the right and responsibility to do.

That isn’t a strong enough phrase. We have an obligation to vote.

“… (W)ith a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.” The men who signed the Declaration of Independence just below these words did so out of obligation to each other, their fellow citizens, and a divine Power. Had the American Revolution been a failure, good King George III would have had them hunted down and hanged each and every one. That is the depth of the obligation they knew they had.

Protesters make their views about electronic billboards known outside Santa Clarita City Hall, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 | Photo: Justin Malson/SCVTV

So today we vote because of “name recognition” or “how cool the candidate looks” and the ever-popular “first name on the ballot.” The signers of the Declaration voted knowing they could be killed, should they not have the resolve to carry through what they wanted.

We’ve become a community that leaves our homes in the morning for work and returns in the evening too tired and too busy to concern ourselves with the City Council or Los Angeles County, the California Legislature or Congress. We go on about our daily lives, forgetting or maybe never knowing we have an obligation upon our sacred honor to ensure the best people are elected to govern us at all levels. We are under the same obligation to vote them out and vote in new representatives when we want our views better expressed.

But we don’t do that. We let the same 15 percent or maybe 18 percent vote and decide for us who will be OUR representatives at whatever level of government is having an election. We sit back more concerned with Kim and Khole, Prince William, some singer on a show that may get him a recording contract, a show about surviving while surrounded by cameras and film crew (a “reality” show), and anything except that which is most important – our government.

So I saw my fellow citizens marching together in protest of actions to be taken by City Council and felt proud to be a citizen of this valley. People gathered together to address the wrongs they felt were being committed by those they elected.

It is a long and glorious history of protest in these United States of America. Some folks in Boston started a protest against the king, and some of them were shot. More protests happened. A shipload of tea was dumped in Boston Harbor. And so it carried on and on, and we became a country.

A country built upon the right to assemble in a group (called a “mob” by those reporting to King George III) and carry signs and illumination with voices strongly protesting the wrongs of government.

What happened on Tuesday, March 25, 2014, might not be a great moment in history, but it was a great moment in the lives of each and every person who was there. The outcome wasn’t what the protesters wanted, but they had a voice in the government.

Let freedom ring. Let’s each and every one of us be part of a revolution – be it at the local, state or federal level of government. VOTE. Get informed and vote.

It is our right. It is our obligation.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Because thats where all the cops and fire fighters live!

2. Dakota Short Dakota Short says:

No electronic billboards?…. Like the one in Newhall?

3. Dave Putnam says:

“Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.”
    Mark Twain

4. Sometimes I think, do people have any real stress in life? I mean really who cares! Billboards, no billboards does it matter? Will it truly affect your life? Or are these people just a bunch of people who need a cause? I have lived here my entire life and I can honestly say, that eliminating the Billboard by my house on Calgrove did not affect my life. People in this town truly need to get over the small stuff. If the Billboards stay, awesome. If the billboards go, who cares? One thing people should think about is billboards create revenue for the government and people who own the property that the billboards are on.

5. Ethan Jewell Ethan Jewell says:

Michael sorry, you are lacking details. Folks care what the face of the city we live in looks like. And folks like me having to come before an elected council to ask why we are so poorly negotiating this deal in a backroom should be a sign lol there is more detail than in the headlines.

6. Dave Putnam says:

The electronic billboard in Newhall is a distant relative to the monstrosities that were approved at last night’s meeting. From the city’s website: www.http://billboards.santa-clarita.com

“To be clear, the three digital billboards along the freeways would be two-sided with dimensions of 14 feet tall and 48 feet wide. Pole height for each of the three signs would vary between 54 feet and 64 feet tall.”

7. mike says:

I guess I take a different stand, living here my whole life I think I have the right to my opinion. So here it is,I think it is sad that so many people in this town I have nothing else to do but protest something that won’t change their lives one way or the other. You complain about billboards going up you complain about billboard going down you complain to complain. Because at the end of the day the truth is you cannot find any happiness unless you’re complaining about something. Again living here my whole life, and seeing the ridiculous fight over billboards is asinine. Get over it, move on, get a life, get a real cause. I guess if you have no real goals in life taking on billboards give you something to do, but I would rather enjoying a nice quiet day at the golf course with friends or a nice quiet lunch with friends next to a billboard than stressing over something so trivial.

8. We have had billboards in this town my entire life. We had a billboard in NewHall of Calgrove, and people in this town didn’t like it. Why? The people who lived around it did not mind it , but the people who worry about the face of the town cared. Why is our town so scared of advertisements? If you take down every billboard in this town, nothing will change with the exception of the loss a revenue stream that our town gains from the billboards. Are you going to make up that revenue stream? Because I am pretty sure if you went in front of the City Council and told them you would replace the missing revenue out of your own pocket, they might consider removing the billboards.

9. Jimmy Grise Jimmy Grise says:

oh no stop the electronic billboards! Really?

10. Ethan Jewell from what i understand from theheadlines is that the electronic billboards are going up as a compromise for the billboards that are being taken down. Seems fair. I am sure there are many more smaller details, but in the grand design it does not change the main reason. I read my Facebook while I sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee and I saw billboards on my way to get the coffee. The thing is seeing them didn’t affect my day. Billboards have been here forever and I do not see why we need to take action now.

11. Dave Putnam says:

Are you familiar with the deal and the history behind last night’s vote Mike? It was a back-door deal pushed through right before the April 8th election. Many who spoke at last night’s meeting chose to exercise their right of free speech granted by the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. You don’t care, I get it. Don’t take a disparaging attitude towards those who do care about this issue.

12. I’m more concerned about the 20,000 new homes they want to build all the way to County line….

13. Dakota Short Dakota Short says:

…um you say tomato I say electronic billboard

14. Now I can see why the 20,000 new homes could be an issue. Joyce U Thomas you should speak to these people abs give them a real cause. :-)

15. Santa Clarita is beautiful once we have billboards up, it’s going to block the view of its nature. Yuck.

16. When I moved from the valley back to scv, that was one thing I told my husband “look, no more ugly billboards”. I know scv has some but nothing like the valley and in my opinion that is one of MANY things that make living here so much better

17. I should go stand next to them with an ipad and protest.

18. Sophie Sidky Sophie Sidky says:

I literally have no idea what the big deal is. What’s so bad about electronic billboards? Is it because they use power or are they just putting a limited number of them compared to all the regular billboards we have?

There’s maybe one or two up in Castaic on the Old Road. I barely notice it (them?) to begin with, so I don’t think it’d end up being a huge loss if it (they) were taken down.

19. These electronic/digital signs are B-I-G. 48 feet wide. Maybe they (City Council members) pushed for this vote BEFORE the April 8th election for city council (3 open seats). I believe they already had their minds made up on this and how they were going to vote. But a 50-year lease is too long.

20. Big election coming up, folks…. please sure to vote on April 8th. It’s time for new ideas, new blood, on city council. Three open seats to fill.

21. Dakota Short Dakota Short says:

If we get more electric billboards I’m renting a spot!!!

22. mike says:

Oh Mr. Dave Putnam, you are correct. I do not care about an issue that quite literally will not have a negative on anyone’s quality of life here in scv. It was passed because it will generate income for our city for the next 50 years. It will only be seen by people traveling on the 5 and the 14. It was based on a compromise that requires them to take down other billboards. Our city is financially secure based on wise business decisions by wise individuals. That is why our city is one of the few cities in CA that have a surplus at the end of each year. If we do not like the city and it’s leaders, we have the ability to move. And this is me exercising my freedom speech just like they did at the meeting.

23. Bryan Dover Bryan Dover says:

I guess the message board at COC and the huge message board on 5 North don’t count as billboards…. They are the same thing depending on who is defining it… From what I recall the message board on 5 North was a swap for pole signs on auto center Dr….

24. The only billboards thay offend me are the ones written in spanish! This is America!

25. mike says:

I say to the people who are against this billboard issue. Put your money where your mouth is, and offer to make up the loss in revenue by paying out of your own pocket. See I believe this decision was financially motivated. They weren’t trying to be evil, they are ensuring our city maintains it’s surplus. So if you are against it, offer to pay out of your pocket to make up the loss. I would bet they would have listened if that was the way it was presented to the board.

26. You want to protest something real? Protest Monsanto, GMO’s, war, child abuse and our total lack of education which includes elitism, racism and separatism.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Apr 16, 2018
The best way to fight kidney disease is to find it before trouble starts. But if you’ve already been diagnosed, Medicare can help you make informed decisions about your care.
Thursday, Apr 12, 2018
In 2016, California voters went to the polls and made it clear they wanted elected state officials to spend more money on school construction and passed Proposition 51 to invest $9 billion to upgrade aging buildings, build new schools where needed and build Career Technical Education (CTE) facilities to support better CTE programs.
Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018
Despite voter approval of construction funds in 2016, school districts are struggling to explain to their communities why the state is refusing to release the majority of the money.
Tuesday, Apr 3, 2018
“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
Monday, Apr 2, 2018
Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste and the City Council invite residents to celebrate the 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival, which officially kicks off April 19.
Friday, Mar 16, 2018
Quentin Kopp, retired judge and Bay Area politician, was once chairman of the High-Speed Rail Authority and helped sell the bullet train to voters. He’s now suing to stop it, saying, "The litigation, which is pending, will result, I am confident, in the termination of the High-Speed Rail Authority's deceiving plan."

The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's Engineering Committee will be holding a meeting, Thursday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m.
May 3: SCV Water’s Engineering Committee Meeting
Building on the success and excitement surrounding LA’s first-ever Arts Datathon in 2017, the LA County Arts Commission (LACAC) presents Arts Datathon: Collections, which aims to explore collections data as a way to increase access to the arts.
April 27: LA County Arts Datathon Collections
The 24 members of the West Ranch High School percussion Ensemble will forever be known as world champions as they took home the top prize at the Winter Guard International (WGI) World Championships in Dayton, Ohio, this past weekend.
West Ranch Percussion Ensemble Returns Home as World Champions
Launched Jan. 1, 2018, California’s newest water agency, SCV Water, is already making progress on commitments of enhanced efficiencies and financial savings.
May 15: VIA Luncheon to Highlight SCV Water Agency
The fourth annual Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) Future Jazz Master Scholarship was awarded to trumpeter and CalArtian Sara Sithi-Amnuai (Music MFA 19).
CalArts Student Awarded Jazz Master Scholarship
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN Baseball (17-22) opens up a road-heavy stretch over the last five weeks of the regular season on Tuesday evening. For the second time this month, the Matadors will head to Fresno State to start a seven-game road trip. A video stream will be available on the Mountain West Network at 6:05 p.m.
Matadors to Start 7-Game Road Trip
Santa Clarita Artists Association's new show, Colors of Spring, will open on May 4, with a free reception, from 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. The exhibit will run until June 24, 2018.
May 4: Opening of Santa Clarita Artists Association’s ‘Colors of Spring’
SUN VALLEY - Mission Valley Bancorp (OTCQX: MVLY) President & CEO Tamara Gurney announces year to date net income of $1,384,000 for the period ended March 31, 2018 – the strongest first quarter in the history of the company.
Mission Valley Bancorp Records Best-Ever 1st Quarter
Flair Cleaners, Southern California’s leading eco-friendly dry cleaners, will host the third annual Flair Cares Spring Food Drive, May 1 – May 31.
May 1-31: Flair Cleaners Annual Spring Food Drive
West Coast auto racing enthusiasts, “Fast & Furious” fans and family and friends of the late actor Paul Walker are gearing up for the inaugural In Memory of Paul Car Hangout, set for College of the Canyons in Valencia on Sunday, May 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
May 20:  In Memory of Paul Walker Inaugural Car Hangout
The Placerita Canyon Nature Center will be holding its annual Open House, Saturday, May 12, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
May 12: Placerita Canyon Nature Center Open House
BAKERSFIELD - College of the Canyons had a strong first-day showing at the Western State Conference (WSC) Swim & Dive Championships, with two of the men's relay teams performing strong enough to perhaps earn a trip to next month's state championship meet.
Cougars Head to Bakersfield after Strong WSC Showing
Santa Clarita Valley International, a free public charter school serving grades TK through 12, will host its annual “Expresstival” event, a celebration of student creativity, from 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Friday, April 27 at the school’s campus at 28060 Hasley Canyon Road in Castaic. This family-friendly event is free and open to the public.
April 27: Annual SCVi Charter’s ‘Expresstival’
Here is the Community Newhall (Zone 6) Crime Information & Public Safety Report for April 9 - 15:
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft, Vehicle Burglary in Newhall
This year’s Coachella Valley Music Festival started out on a sour note for 135 concertgoers who received misdemeanor citations for fraudulently using disabled person parking placards.
DMV Issues More than 150 Disabled Parking Citations at Coachella
1962 - SCV residents vote to connect to State Water Project, creating CLWA [story]
Applications are now open for the summer 2018 LA County Arts Internship Program, which will provide 179 university and community college students with paid on-the-job experience at more than 100 arts organizations across LA County this summer.
County Expands Summer Arts Internships for College Students
The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner has identified the man killed in a solo crash on Sierra Highway between Santa Clarita and Agua Dulce early Sunday morning as Brandon Scott Isaman, 31, of Palmdale.
Coroner ID’s Palmdale Man Killed in Solo Crash
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a Pine Mountain man on weapons and drug charges Thursday, an out-of-town resident for alleged possession of methamphetamine and a zip gun Friday night, and two locals for alleged possession of heroin for sale on Saturday morning.
SCV Crime Beat: Arrests for Heroin, Meth, Homemade Gun
With summer just around the corner, the city of Santa Clarita will hold a summer swim lesson assessment at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center, 20850 Centre Pointe Parkway, on Thursday, April 26, from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
April 26, May 5: City to Hold Summer Swim Lesson Assessments
Aerospace, defense and industrial markets manufacturing firm Ducommun Incorporated has completed the acquisition of Certified Thermoplastics Co., LLC, based in Santa Clarita, for an undisclosed price.
SCV High-Tech Plastics Firm Bought Out by Ducommun
Santa Clarita-based MS Restaurant Management will open a new McDonald's restaurant franchise on The Old Road at Magic Mountain Parkway, and will hold job fairs Friday, April 27 and Friday, May 11 to hire as many as 100 employees.
April 27, May 11: Job Fairs at New SCV McDonald’s Restaurant
The city of Santa Clarita received applications from eight local residents for an open position available on the city’s Planning Commission, and the City Council will make its choice during its meeting at City Hall Tuesday night.
8 Applicants Vie for Seat on Planning Commission
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley the week of April 23-29.
‘NCIS,’ 3 Commercials Now Filming in Santa Clarita
Members of the California Legislature today commemorated the 103rd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, even as the United States continues to turn a blind eye to the genocide of 1.5 million Armenians, Senator Scott Wilk (R-Antelope Valley) said Monday.
California Legislature Marks 103rd Anniversary of Armenian Genocide
College of the Canyons freshman Takaira Beard earned an individual conference title in the women's high jump with a leap of 1.54m during the Western State Conference Prelims hosted by Santa Monica College on Friday.
COC Freshman Takes Home Individual Western State Conference Title
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for April 26-28:
April 26-28: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Whiff, Inc., the leader in personalized fragrance creation and perfume discovery releases details of their exclusive partnership with Olympian, Pro Soccer player, and fashion and beauty entrepreneur Lauren Sesselmann.
Whiff, Inc. Partners with Santa Clarita Blue Heat’s Lauren Sesselmann
There is a perception that academic conferences for tax educators are filled with arcane terminology and jargon that only an Internal Revenue Service agent could love. But not if California State University, Northridge’s Monica Gianni has her way.
May 4: Tax Development Conference at CSUN
In light of two days and 25 innings of mostly forgettable baseball, Master's catcher Ryan Bricker summed up the weekend the best he could.
Mustangs Fall to Westmont in Golden State Athletic Conference Finale
Get a sneak peek of Mark LeVang & Friends, the group who will be performing at Taste of the Town.
April 24: Community Pints, Taste of the Town Sneak Peek
Lancaster won its first extra-inning game of 2018 on Sunday, beating Inland Empire, 9-8, in 11 innings. Forrest Wall came through in the top of the 11th with an RBI single, and Alan Trejo sealed the victory with a diving catch to end the game.
JetHawks Win First Extra-Inning Game of 2018
Here is the Valencia (Zone 5) Crime Information and Public Safety Report for the Week of April 9-15:
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft Auto, Petty Theft, Shoplifting in Valencia
1986 - COC board votes to allow Argentine cliff swallows to nest forever on sides of buildings [story]
Veterans of the Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival stage were honored Saturday night as the city celebrated the festival’s silver anniversary at William S. Hart Park in Newhall.
Stars Share Spotlight as Cowboy Festival Turns 25