Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

July 20
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]

| Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014

[KHTS] – After 36 years of greeting fans as they drive into the Six Flags Magic Mountain parking lot, Colossus will be closing.

Both Colossus and Batman The Ride will continue running backwards until June 15, and then Colossus will remain open for another two months before closing on Aug. 16.

Opening-year pinback (1978)

Opening-year pinback (1978)

“Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16,” said a Magic Mountain spokesperson in a statement. “Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.”

Magic Mountain officials did not comment on why they had decided to shut down the ride.

Colossus first opened on June 29, 1978 and was the fastest and the tallest wooden roller coaster in the world at the time. It was built just before Newhall Land sold Magic Mountain to Six Flags for $51 million in 1979.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983) with Chevy Chase.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in “National Lampoon’s Vacation” (1983) with Chevy Chase.

The Magic Mountain website calls it “the granddaddy of all roller coasters, the legendary classic ride… This gargantuan creature is one of the world’s most enormous wooden roller coasters, taking up over ten acres of land, with more than 4,325 feet of track.”

The tradition of running Colossus backwards began in 1984, which the park has traditionally done during their annual Halloween Fright Fest.

Colossus has also been featured in several movies, including the cult classic, “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” and “National Lampoon’s Vacation.”

Leon Worden of SCVHistory.com contributed to this report.

MORE MAGIC MOUNTAIN IMAGES HERE.

1. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

No, how sad! I remembered when it opened, and it was the biggest wood roller coaster on the West coast.

2. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Dang. And I saw KISS play there. “what a drag it is getting older.”

3. Logan Veis Logan Veis says:

Closing on my bday.. This must be a joke!!! It’s a staple in the SCV and what I think of every time I go…

4. What a drag I’M getting older.

5. Lol…I have this button, rode the it the first summer it was open.

6. Jeremy McRae Jeremy McRae says:

I like the ride, it’s a classic, but it is old. And could be costing too much on maintenance/up keeping. It has the most nails and wood pieces in the park by far and though it’s sad to see such an iconic piece of magic mountain go. I can only imagine the new ride that will take it’s place

7. Cynthia Fischer doesn’t this suck?

8. Gio Borda Jimmy Maldonado

9. Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

Gianella Garay Lorena Garay

10. So sad to say goodbye.

11. Stephanie Bryant-Mathis didn’t uncle Mark paint this??

12. Kristy Reid Kristy Reid says:

Makes me think of Jocelyn Torralba. Fun times!

13. Wow. My dad help build that.

14. Wow! The best ride of my life was Colossus backwards in 1983. But it’s time has come. I rode it a couple months ago and it was painful.

Batman, too, is a great ride, especially in the front row. But maybe because I’m old now, but it just wrecks my brain. I need about 30 minutes and a seltzer water to recover from it.

15. Wtf….Yesenia Garcia

16. So lame that they’re closing it! They’re pathetic

17. Just wait until you see what it might become. ;)

18. Six flags is going down the dumps :(

19. My ❤ is sad, my neck appreciates it and the mom in me is happy that my child is no longer riding a roller coaster with no seat belts. LOL.

20. Nooooooooooo!!!!! Can’t take it down, it’s pretty much a historical landmark for scv!!!

21. Cody Bufkin Cody Bufkin says:

Tommy C Bledsoe Fred Rogers Courtney Lynn

22. Danielle Diaz Lol we’re gonna have to go again.

23. Lisa Pope Lisa Pope says:

Lol Cheyanne Narez

24. According to employees, it’s just getting the track replaced. Come on scvtv get your facts straight.

25. Maybe we can buy a piece of the wood with certificate. Lol

26. Bummer. I rode that ride ages ago. Loved it.

27. I loved it when it was new, but the last time I rode it I was feeling bruised all over. It really tossed me around more than my old bod could take any more.

28. That was. My favorite coaster back in the day forward and backward!

29. Alyss Urrea Alyss Urrea says:

Nestor Diaz Diego Diaz

30. It’s closing a day after my birthday:(

31. My sister was on colossus the same time the woman flew off of it and was killed. Can’t remember what year it was, but they were all stuck for a while the. Had to walk down from the very top. I don’t think she’ll miss it.

32. Tabytha Gabrielle McConnell we need to go before this ride closes

33. 36 years ago? Wow, I remember when it opened

34. What? Now I really want to go! Baron Guinther we need to plan a time to go.

35. Kristi John Kristi John says:

My 1st roller coaster!!! Aunt Debbie Logan….was determined to get me on it! #memories

36. Kristi John Kristi John says:

37. Kristi John Kristi John says:

38. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

39. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

40. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

41. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

42. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

43. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

44. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

45. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

46. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

47. Forward and backwards Nicole!

48. Forward and backwards Nicole!

49. Forward and backwards Nicole!

50. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

51. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

52. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

53. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

54. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

55. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

56. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

Thank god that ride is crap compare to what they have now. And if colossus remained open I wouldn’t have been surprised if it would of ended up breaking down and killing someone so time to close

57. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

58. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

59. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

60. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

61. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

62. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

63. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

64. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

65. Rikki says:

Why?! I dislike roller coasters but this is one ride that was an exception! I’m going to miss colossus!

66. Aw. I wonder if it was getting too expensive to maintain.

67. Beth Smith Beth Smith says:

Good! The frame is being supported in places by 2x4s and zip ties! Love the ride, but it should have been closed a while ago.

68. Such good memories….I contracted herpes on the Colossus. I can’t remember if it was forwards or backwards.

69. Brock Ergo Goldberg how sad!! :( we have to go ride it one more time!

70. WoW that sucks . That’s an awesome coaster . Gonna miss it

71. Riding that backwards at 5 or 6 ruined me. I wouldn’t ride a roller coaster till high school!

72. Paula Orozco we must go!!!

73. Paula Orozco Paula Orozco says:

Omg yes Michelle King

74. Lucy Salamanca we need to go before they close it down

75. Bonnie Zydor Bonnie Zydor says:

It was one of the few roller coasters I would ride. So sad to see it go

76. Jason Agular we have to go before they close it!!!!

77. Maria Diego Maria Diego says:

Fezzito Cabrera why???

78. Aww man, backwards colossus is my favorite ride there! Podthingy trip for one last colossus hurrah?

79. Troy Andrew Troy Andrew says:

How could they that was the face of six flags. Step by step!!!!!

80. When I worked there the road it backwards and we would race the cars to see which track would win first it has a lot of good memories

81. I also heard just doing renovations??

82. Lisa Sereika Lisa Sereika says:

Omgosh we loved this ride when we wer kids! Sad to see it go.

83. Leslie Hynes Leslie Hynes says:

I’m glad my son got to ride it on Sun….
    It was backwards day as well!!
    That was one of my FAVORITES!!

84. It’s been deteriorating for years…It’s about time. Six flags sucks at maintaining older rides they just tear down and put new ones.

85. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

86. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

87. Bodie Smithwe need to go!!!!

88. Someone should start a petition to keep it open. How can the corporate minds of Six Flags think that this is a good idea?

89. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

90. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

91. yay!! iron colossus!!!

92. yay!! iron colossus!!!

93. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

94. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

95. That is so sad Kim!!!! It’s a classic!!

96. this makes me sad.. but so happy that I rode it many times.

97. It is sad. My 12 yr old still likes it but to me it is unrideable. In it’s heyday it was great- when the trains would “race”. Especially if one was backwards.

98. Dori Morgan Dori Morgan says:

OMG, so many good memories on that ride &loved it to go backwards.

99. It’s gonna be even better!

100. That ride was tha worst in tha park…rattle-brained

101. Adam Mendez Adam Mendez says:

Lennin Parra Sunny Fernandez Lyzz Rodriguez

102. Best ride there!!!! Especially backwards. Sucks it’s going away

103. The end of an era. Great memories! Sharon Rockwell Dalton. Mindy Smith. Debbie McKellar

104. Oh no! That is criminal. I love that ride and even rode it backwards! Boo!!!

105. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

106. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has announced $4,518,000 in two-year grants to 216 nonprofit arts organizations through its Organizational Grant Program, and the Santa Clarita Philharmonic Orchestra and the Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival are among the grantees.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
The L.A. County Superior Court on July 17 sided with Los Angeles County and dismissed a portion of Chiquita Canyon LLC's complaint, which challenged 13 conditions of the county's conditional use permit governing how the landfill operates, Supervisor Kathryn Barger announced Friday.
Court Orders Chiquita Landfill to Comply with CUP, Pay County Nearly $12M
Santa Clarita Philharmonic, Shakespeare Festival Win County Arts Grants
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's board of directors voted in its Tuesday meeting to revise its per-diem payment policy for board members attending industry-related meetings and conferences.
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
College of the Canyons men's basketball player Robert Moss will continue his playing career at University of Saint Katherine after committing to join the Firebirds program.
COC Hoopster Robert Moss Commits to University of Saint Katherine
When wives earn more than their husbands, a puzzling thing can happen: Husbands say they earn more than they are and wives underreport their income, according to new Census Bureau research.
Census Research: Spouses Report Earnings Differently When Wives Earn More
Responding to a booming economy and a generous state budget, administrators on Thursday approved the first tuition decrease for the University of California system in nearly 20 years.
University of California Cuts Tuition for First Time in 20 Years
The William S. Hart Union High School District and Spirit Holding, developers of Castaic High School, will host a community kick-off event on Friday, Aug. 3, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. celebrating the one-year countdown to the grand opening of the new school, currently under construction.
Aug. 3: ‘Countdown to Castaic High’ Public Celebration
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, July 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
July 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a Heat Alert for Monday, July 23 and Tuesday, July 24, as high temperatures have been forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Heat Alert Called for Monday, Tuesday
The Lancaster JetHawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but two late home runs from Stockton's Sandber Pimentel led the Ports to victory in a 5-4 final on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Lancaster Can’t Stop Pimentel, Ports
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and Department of Justice have made public the government's plan for the court-ordered reunification of children ages 5 years and older who were separated from their parents by immigration authorities.
Feds Detail Plan to Reunite Immigrant Children with Parents
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream
The Sierra Hillbillies Square & Round Dance Club will throw a good old-fashioned picnic and dance to the calls of Jay Henderson at the SCV Senior Center on Sunday, August 5 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sierra Hillbillies Set 2 Dances for August, September