Partly sunny
Partly sunny

October 22
1898 - Birth of Mary S. Ruiz, eldest child of Enrique & Rosaria Ruiz of San Francisquito Canyon; all died in 1928 dam disaster [cemetery census]

| Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014

[KHTS] – After 36 years of greeting fans as they drive into the Six Flags Magic Mountain parking lot, Colossus will be closing.

Both Colossus and Batman The Ride will continue running backwards until June 15, and then Colossus will remain open for another two months before closing on Aug. 16.

Opening-year pinback (1978)

Opening-year pinback (1978)

“Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16,” said a Magic Mountain spokesperson in a statement. “Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.”

Magic Mountain officials did not comment on why they had decided to shut down the ride.

Colossus first opened on June 29, 1978 and was the fastest and the tallest wooden roller coaster in the world at the time. It was built just before Newhall Land sold Magic Mountain to Six Flags for $51 million in 1979.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983) with Chevy Chase.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in “National Lampoon’s Vacation” (1983) with Chevy Chase.

The Magic Mountain website calls it “the granddaddy of all roller coasters, the legendary classic ride… This gargantuan creature is one of the world’s most enormous wooden roller coasters, taking up over ten acres of land, with more than 4,325 feet of track.”

The tradition of running Colossus backwards began in 1984, which the park has traditionally done during their annual Halloween Fright Fest.

Colossus has also been featured in several movies, including the cult classic, “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” and “National Lampoon’s Vacation.”

Leon Worden of SCVHistory.com contributed to this report.

MORE MAGIC MOUNTAIN IMAGES HERE.

1. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

No, how sad! I remembered when it opened, and it was the biggest wood roller coaster on the West coast.

2. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Dang. And I saw KISS play there. “what a drag it is getting older.”

3. Logan Veis Logan Veis says:

Closing on my bday.. This must be a joke!!! It’s a staple in the SCV and what I think of every time I go…

4. What a drag I’M getting older.

5. Lol…I have this button, rode the it the first summer it was open.

6. Jeremy McRae Jeremy McRae says:

I like the ride, it’s a classic, but it is old. And could be costing too much on maintenance/up keeping. It has the most nails and wood pieces in the park by far and though it’s sad to see such an iconic piece of magic mountain go. I can only imagine the new ride that will take it’s place

7. Cynthia Fischer doesn’t this suck?

8. Gio Borda Jimmy Maldonado

9. Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

Gianella Garay Lorena Garay

10. So sad to say goodbye.

11. Stephanie Bryant-Mathis didn’t uncle Mark paint this??

12. Kristy Reid Kristy Reid says:

Makes me think of Jocelyn Torralba. Fun times!

13. Wow. My dad help build that.

14. Wow! The best ride of my life was Colossus backwards in 1983. But it’s time has come. I rode it a couple months ago and it was painful.

Batman, too, is a great ride, especially in the front row. But maybe because I’m old now, but it just wrecks my brain. I need about 30 minutes and a seltzer water to recover from it.

15. Wtf….Yesenia Garcia

16. So lame that they’re closing it! They’re pathetic

17. Just wait until you see what it might become. ;)

18. Six flags is going down the dumps :(

19. My ❤ is sad, my neck appreciates it and the mom in me is happy that my child is no longer riding a roller coaster with no seat belts. LOL.

20. Nooooooooooo!!!!! Can’t take it down, it’s pretty much a historical landmark for scv!!!

21. Cody Bufkin Cody Bufkin says:

Tommy C Bledsoe Fred Rogers Courtney Lynn

22. Danielle Diaz Lol we’re gonna have to go again.

23. Lisa Pope Lisa Pope says:

Lol Cheyanne Narez

24. According to employees, it’s just getting the track replaced. Come on scvtv get your facts straight.

25. Maybe we can buy a piece of the wood with certificate. Lol

26. Bummer. I rode that ride ages ago. Loved it.

27. I loved it when it was new, but the last time I rode it I was feeling bruised all over. It really tossed me around more than my old bod could take any more.

28. That was. My favorite coaster back in the day forward and backward!

29. Alyss Urrea Alyss Urrea says:

Nestor Diaz Diego Diaz

30. It’s closing a day after my birthday:(

31. My sister was on colossus the same time the woman flew off of it and was killed. Can’t remember what year it was, but they were all stuck for a while the. Had to walk down from the very top. I don’t think she’ll miss it.

32. Tabytha Gabrielle McConnell we need to go before this ride closes

33. 36 years ago? Wow, I remember when it opened

34. What? Now I really want to go! Baron Guinther we need to plan a time to go.

35. Kristi John Kristi John says:

My 1st roller coaster!!! Aunt Debbie Logan….was determined to get me on it! #memories

36. Kristi John Kristi John says:

37. Kristi John Kristi John says:

38. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

39. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

40. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

41. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

42. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

43. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

44. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

45. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

46. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

47. Forward and backwards Nicole!

48. Forward and backwards Nicole!

49. Forward and backwards Nicole!

50. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

51. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

52. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

53. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

54. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

55. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

56. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

Thank god that ride is crap compare to what they have now. And if colossus remained open I wouldn’t have been surprised if it would of ended up breaking down and killing someone so time to close

57. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

58. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

59. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

60. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

61. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

62. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

63. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

64. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

65. Rikki says:

Why?! I dislike roller coasters but this is one ride that was an exception! I’m going to miss colossus!

66. Aw. I wonder if it was getting too expensive to maintain.

67. Beth Smith Beth Smith says:

Good! The frame is being supported in places by 2x4s and zip ties! Love the ride, but it should have been closed a while ago.

68. Such good memories….I contracted herpes on the Colossus. I can’t remember if it was forwards or backwards.

69. Brock Ergo Goldberg how sad!! :( we have to go ride it one more time!

70. WoW that sucks . That’s an awesome coaster . Gonna miss it

71. Riding that backwards at 5 or 6 ruined me. I wouldn’t ride a roller coaster till high school!

72. Paula Orozco we must go!!!

73. Paula Orozco Paula Orozco says:

Omg yes Michelle King

74. Lucy Salamanca we need to go before they close it down

75. Bonnie Zydor Bonnie Zydor says:

It was one of the few roller coasters I would ride. So sad to see it go

76. Jason Agular we have to go before they close it!!!!

77. Maria Diego Maria Diego says:

Fezzito Cabrera why???

78. Aww man, backwards colossus is my favorite ride there! Podthingy trip for one last colossus hurrah?

79. Troy Andrew Troy Andrew says:

How could they that was the face of six flags. Step by step!!!!!

80. When I worked there the road it backwards and we would race the cars to see which track would win first it has a lot of good memories

81. I also heard just doing renovations??

82. Lisa Sereika Lisa Sereika says:

Omgosh we loved this ride when we wer kids! Sad to see it go.

83. Leslie Hynes Leslie Hynes says:

I’m glad my son got to ride it on Sun….
    It was backwards day as well!!
    That was one of my FAVORITES!!

84. It’s been deteriorating for years…It’s about time. Six flags sucks at maintaining older rides they just tear down and put new ones.

85. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

86. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

87. Bodie Smithwe need to go!!!!

88. Someone should start a petition to keep it open. How can the corporate minds of Six Flags think that this is a good idea?

89. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

90. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

91. yay!! iron colossus!!!

92. yay!! iron colossus!!!

93. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

94. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

95. That is so sad Kim!!!! It’s a classic!!

96. this makes me sad.. but so happy that I rode it many times.

97. It is sad. My 12 yr old still likes it but to me it is unrideable. In it’s heyday it was great- when the trains would “race”. Especially if one was backwards.

98. Dori Morgan Dori Morgan says:

OMG, so many good memories on that ride &loved it to go backwards.

99. It’s gonna be even better!

100. That ride was tha worst in tha park…rattle-brained

101. Adam Mendez Adam Mendez says:

Lennin Parra Sunny Fernandez Lyzz Rodriguez

102. Best ride there!!!! Especially backwards. Sucks it’s going away

103. The end of an era. Great memories! Sharon Rockwell Dalton. Mindy Smith. Debbie McKellar

104. Oh no! That is criminal. I love that ride and even rode it backwards! Boo!!!

105. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

106. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
The Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation presents its latest “Recreation After Dark” event, “Goin’ Country at Hart.”
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
Le Chene French Cuisine has announced that they will be hosting two special events coming to you in November.
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
The city of Santa Clarita will present three music-related sessions at the 2018 Arts Symposium at The Centre on Saturday, Oct. 20.
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
The First Presbyterian Church of Newhall will be performing “The Green Velvet Christmas Dress.”
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
Decorated with fun embellishments such as puffy paint, tulle fabric, feathers and even bubble wrap, artist Georgette Arison’s mixed-media art in “Dressing Up is Fun,” the newest art exhibit at the Newhall Community Center, uses unconventional methods to showcase costume design.
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Football Roundup for Week 9 of the 2018 season. College of the Canyons remains undefeated with a win against East LA, while Hart handed West Ranch its first defeat of the season.
Santa Clarita Valley Football Roundup
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]
The annual "Fun in the Sun" Chili Cook-Off staged by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department to benefit the Special Olympics is set for Saturday, Oct. 20 from 11 a.m to 4 p.m. at the Jack Bones Equestrian Center in Castaic.
Oct. 20: LASD ‘Fun in the Sun’ Chili Cook-Off to Benefit Special Olympics
College of the Canyons administrators alerted students and faculty Friday morning to a report of an unwanted sexual encounter Thursday in a COC restroom.
Unwanted Sexual Encounter Reported at COC
Brian O’Connor has been promoted to vice president brand and corporate communication at Santa Clarita-based Princess Cruises.
Princess Cruises Ups O’Connor to VP Brand, Corporate Communications
Santa Clarita City Councilmembers on Tuesday night will discuss how to respond to county planners' request that developers consider a homeless shelter in Phase II of the proposed Tesoro del Valle housing project just north of city limits.
Oct. 23: City to Weigh Response to County Idea for Tesoro Homeless Shelter
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next meetings at City Hall on Tuesday, Oct. 23.
Oct. 23: Santa Clarita City Council Regular, Special Meetings
The National Weather Service issued an urgent red flag warning at 3 p.m. Friday that will remain in effect in the Santa Clarita Valley until 10 p.m. due to gusty Santa Ana wind and low humidity.
Red Flag Warning Flies Till 10 Friday Night
The registration deadline to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is Monday, Oct. 22, at 11:59 p.m.
Oct 22: Last Day to Register to Vote in Nov. 6 Election
In less than three weeks, California’s 19 million voters will decide a slate of midterm ballot measures aimed at easing the state’s affordable housing crisis, but not all initiatives may bring residents the relief they seek.
State Voters Eye Ballot Measures for Solutions to Housing Crisis
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Oct. 23, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Oct. 23: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Lane closures on Soledad Canyon Road due to film-related activity near the Saugus Speedway will begin at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and end at approximately 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to an alert from the city of Santa Clarita.
Lane Closures on Soledad for Filming Set for Tuesday Night
Night work on the city of Santa Clarita's Sierra Highway pedestrian bridge project will take place at the construction site on Sierra Highway north of Golden Valley Road on Tuesday, Oct. 23, from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Oct. 23: Night Work on New Sierra Highway Pedestrian Bridge
East LA College will visit Cougar Stadium Saturday night, and all SCV youth football and cheer teams — Santa Clarita Cowboys, Grizzlies, Spartans, Vikings, Warriors, Wildcats and teams from other parks and recreation programs — are invited to attend the game free of charge when wearing a school jersey or uniform.
COC Invites SCV Youth Football, Cheer Programs to Saturday’s Game
To increase awareness about school bus safety among motorists, parents, teachers and students, the California Highway Patrol will observe National School Bus Safety Week Oct. 22-26.
Oct. 22-26: CHP Rides with School Bus Safety Week
Oct. 21-27 is National Teen Driver Safety Week, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department wants to remind parents and guardians the importance of talking to their teen drivers about new responsibilities and rules that come with operating a vehicle.
Oct. 21-27: LASD Rolls with National Teen Driver Safety Week
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies arrested a Long Beach man on multiple charges for weapons and drugs earlier this week, according to officials.
SCV Deputies Arrest Long Beach Man in Gorman on Multiple Charges
1945 - Acton Hotel, est. 1890, burns down; arson is suspected [story]
Oct. 19: Goin’ Country at Hart to Feature Moldy Marvin, Highway 138
ARCADIA, Calif. — On Wednesday, Jerry Perez officially reported to the Angeles National Forest and San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, where he will serve as the new Forest Supervisor, replacing Jeff Vail, who accepted the position of deputy director for Recreation, Heritage and Volunteer Resources in the Forest Service’s Washington Office.
New Angeles National Forest Supervisor Excited About New Position
Le Chene Invites Residents to November Celebrations
The Valencia High School Marching Band and Color Guard held their first major fundraising event for their band season.
Valencia High School Marching Band Appreciates Support from Community
Oct. 20: Art Symposium to Stage 3 Music Sessions
It makes good sense to review your coverage each year. Make sure your plan still is a good fit for you in terms of cost, coverage, and quality.
How to Shop for Medicare Plans | Commentary by Greg Dill
StarKist Co. has agreed to plead guilty for its role in a conspiracy to fix prices of packaged seafood sold in the United States, the Department of Justice announced Thursday.
StarKist Pleads Guilty to Price Fixing
Newhall Church to Present ‘The Green Velvet Christmas Dress’
‘Dressing Up is Fun’ Exhibit Now Showcasing at Newhall Community Center
Celebrating its 5th anniversary this year, the Santa Clarita Oktoberfest is a Southern California twist on the original Oktoberfest held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
Oct. 19, 20: Santa Clarita Oktoberfest
College of the Canyons has been ranked No. 29 by the Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine’s Top 100 colleges and universities list for graduating Hispanic students.
Hispanic Outlook Ranks COC No. 29 on Top 100 List
Maj. Stephen Del Bagno, a United States Air Force Thunderbirds pilot and a graduate of Saugus High School who died on April 4 during a routine aerial training flight in the Nevada Test and Training Range, lost consciousness before the fatal crash, according to a report released by the Air Force.
Report: Santa Clarita Thunderbirds Pilot Lost Consciousness Before Crash
SAN FRANCISCO – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced Monday an agreement with the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) to close 62 campground pit toilets, considered to be large capacity cesspools, at seven national forests across California.
Forest Service Forced to Close Cesspools in State’s National Forests
The Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations (LACCHR) released its annual account Wednesday of hate crimes reported throughout Los Angeles County in 2017.
LA County Hate Crimes Continue to Rise
Sheriff Jim McDonnell has named Sergio Perez, a Los Angeles native, as his Constitutional Policing Advisor to assist the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) in sustaining reform and advancing justice for the diverse communities we serve.
LASD Names New Constitutional Policing Adviser
Every year, department members who perform acts of great courage and heroism, who go above and beyond the call of duty to save the lives of others while placing their own lives at risk, are honored and recognized at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Medal of Valor Awards Ceremony.
LASD Department Members, Private Citizens Recognized at Award Ceremony