Clear
Clear

December 17
1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]

| Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014

[KHTS] – After 36 years of greeting fans as they drive into the Six Flags Magic Mountain parking lot, Colossus will be closing.

Both Colossus and Batman The Ride will continue running backwards until June 15, and then Colossus will remain open for another two months before closing on Aug. 16.

Opening-year pinback (1978)

Opening-year pinback (1978)

“Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16,” said a Magic Mountain spokesperson in a statement. “Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.”

Magic Mountain officials did not comment on why they had decided to shut down the ride.

Colossus first opened on June 29, 1978 and was the fastest and the tallest wooden roller coaster in the world at the time. It was built just before Newhall Land sold Magic Mountain to Six Flags for $51 million in 1979.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983) with Chevy Chase.

Colossus became the Screaming Meemie in “National Lampoon’s Vacation” (1983) with Chevy Chase.

The Magic Mountain website calls it “the granddaddy of all roller coasters, the legendary classic ride… This gargantuan creature is one of the world’s most enormous wooden roller coasters, taking up over ten acres of land, with more than 4,325 feet of track.”

The tradition of running Colossus backwards began in 1984, which the park has traditionally done during their annual Halloween Fright Fest.

Colossus has also been featured in several movies, including the cult classic, “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” and “National Lampoon’s Vacation.”

Leon Worden of SCVHistory.com contributed to this report.

MORE MAGIC MOUNTAIN IMAGES HERE.

1. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

No, how sad! I remembered when it opened, and it was the biggest wood roller coaster on the West coast.

2. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Dang. And I saw KISS play there. “what a drag it is getting older.”

3. Logan Veis Logan Veis says:

Closing on my bday.. This must be a joke!!! It’s a staple in the SCV and what I think of every time I go…

4. What a drag I’M getting older.

5. Lol…I have this button, rode the it the first summer it was open.

6. Jeremy McRae Jeremy McRae says:

I like the ride, it’s a classic, but it is old. And could be costing too much on maintenance/up keeping. It has the most nails and wood pieces in the park by far and though it’s sad to see such an iconic piece of magic mountain go. I can only imagine the new ride that will take it’s place

7. Cynthia Fischer doesn’t this suck?

8. Gio Borda Jimmy Maldonado

9. Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

Gianella Garay Lorena Garay

10. So sad to say goodbye.

11. Stephanie Bryant-Mathis didn’t uncle Mark paint this??

12. Kristy Reid Kristy Reid says:

Makes me think of Jocelyn Torralba. Fun times!

13. Wow. My dad help build that.

14. Wow! The best ride of my life was Colossus backwards in 1983. But it’s time has come. I rode it a couple months ago and it was painful.

Batman, too, is a great ride, especially in the front row. But maybe because I’m old now, but it just wrecks my brain. I need about 30 minutes and a seltzer water to recover from it.

15. Wtf….Yesenia Garcia

16. So lame that they’re closing it! They’re pathetic

17. Just wait until you see what it might become. ;)

18. Six flags is going down the dumps :(

19. My ❤ is sad, my neck appreciates it and the mom in me is happy that my child is no longer riding a roller coaster with no seat belts. LOL.

20. Nooooooooooo!!!!! Can’t take it down, it’s pretty much a historical landmark for scv!!!

21. Cody Bufkin Cody Bufkin says:

Tommy C Bledsoe Fred Rogers Courtney Lynn

22. Danielle Diaz Lol we’re gonna have to go again.

23. Lisa Pope Lisa Pope says:

Lol Cheyanne Narez

24. According to employees, it’s just getting the track replaced. Come on scvtv get your facts straight.

25. Maybe we can buy a piece of the wood with certificate. Lol

26. Bummer. I rode that ride ages ago. Loved it.

27. I loved it when it was new, but the last time I rode it I was feeling bruised all over. It really tossed me around more than my old bod could take any more.

28. That was. My favorite coaster back in the day forward and backward!

29. Alyss Urrea Alyss Urrea says:

Nestor Diaz Diego Diaz

30. It’s closing a day after my birthday:(

31. My sister was on colossus the same time the woman flew off of it and was killed. Can’t remember what year it was, but they were all stuck for a while the. Had to walk down from the very top. I don’t think she’ll miss it.

32. Tabytha Gabrielle McConnell we need to go before this ride closes

33. 36 years ago? Wow, I remember when it opened

34. What? Now I really want to go! Baron Guinther we need to plan a time to go.

35. Kristi John Kristi John says:

My 1st roller coaster!!! Aunt Debbie Logan….was determined to get me on it! #memories

36. Kristi John Kristi John says:

37. Kristi John Kristi John says:

38. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

39. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

40. I don’t think I ever went on it, but I remember when it opened.

41. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

42. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

43. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

Bernard Barfield omg!

44. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

45. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

46. Booo!! That is still my favorite ride of all time!

47. Forward and backwards Nicole!

48. Forward and backwards Nicole!

49. Forward and backwards Nicole!

50. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

51. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

52. Debbi Foley Debbi Foley says:

36 years??? God I’m old!

53. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

54. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

55. Nicole Bass Nicole Bass says:

But it’s closing! Sad day Bernard ):

56. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

Thank god that ride is crap compare to what they have now. And if colossus remained open I wouldn’t have been surprised if it would of ended up breaking down and killing someone so time to close

57. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

58. Isaac Cerda Isaac Cerda says:

59. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

60. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

61. Hey Nicole, just read the article…WTF?!?!

62. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

63. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

64. I loved that ride but it didn’t go backwards thee last time I was there back in 95

65. Rikki says:

Why?! I dislike roller coasters but this is one ride that was an exception! I’m going to miss colossus!

66. Aw. I wonder if it was getting too expensive to maintain.

67. Beth Smith Beth Smith says:

Good! The frame is being supported in places by 2x4s and zip ties! Love the ride, but it should have been closed a while ago.

68. Such good memories….I contracted herpes on the Colossus. I can’t remember if it was forwards or backwards.

69. Brock Ergo Goldberg how sad!! :( we have to go ride it one more time!

70. WoW that sucks . That’s an awesome coaster . Gonna miss it

71. Riding that backwards at 5 or 6 ruined me. I wouldn’t ride a roller coaster till high school!

72. Paula Orozco we must go!!!

73. Paula Orozco Paula Orozco says:

Omg yes Michelle King

74. Lucy Salamanca we need to go before they close it down

75. Bonnie Zydor Bonnie Zydor says:

It was one of the few roller coasters I would ride. So sad to see it go

76. Jason Agular we have to go before they close it!!!!

77. Maria Diego Maria Diego says:

Fezzito Cabrera why???

78. Aww man, backwards colossus is my favorite ride there! Podthingy trip for one last colossus hurrah?

79. Troy Andrew Troy Andrew says:

How could they that was the face of six flags. Step by step!!!!!

80. When I worked there the road it backwards and we would race the cars to see which track would win first it has a lot of good memories

81. I also heard just doing renovations??

82. Lisa Sereika Lisa Sereika says:

Omgosh we loved this ride when we wer kids! Sad to see it go.

83. Leslie Hynes Leslie Hynes says:

I’m glad my son got to ride it on Sun….
    It was backwards day as well!!
    That was one of my FAVORITES!!

84. It’s been deteriorating for years…It’s about time. Six flags sucks at maintaining older rides they just tear down and put new ones.

85. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

86. Mike Demeusy Mike Demeusy says:

Please don’t cry. still plenty more to ride!

87. Bodie Smithwe need to go!!!!

88. Someone should start a petition to keep it open. How can the corporate minds of Six Flags think that this is a good idea?

89. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

90. Our Mountain Our Mountain says:

If you can make it, ride before August 16th!

91. yay!! iron colossus!!!

92. yay!! iron colossus!!!

93. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

94. This is a good thing! And yes I’ve been riding it too since it opened .

95. That is so sad Kim!!!! It’s a classic!!

96. this makes me sad.. but so happy that I rode it many times.

97. It is sad. My 12 yr old still likes it but to me it is unrideable. In it’s heyday it was great- when the trains would “race”. Especially if one was backwards.

98. Dori Morgan Dori Morgan says:

OMG, so many good memories on that ride &loved it to go backwards.

99. It’s gonna be even better!

100. That ride was tha worst in tha park…rattle-brained

101. Adam Mendez Adam Mendez says:

Lennin Parra Sunny Fernandez Lyzz Rodriguez

102. Best ride there!!!! Especially backwards. Sucks it’s going away

103. The end of an era. Great memories! Sharon Rockwell Dalton. Mindy Smith. Debbie McKellar

104. Oh no! That is criminal. I love that ride and even rode it backwards! Boo!!!

105. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

106. Was. It. Fun rideing. It

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Valencia-based Princess Cruises, voted the #1 international cruise line in Japan, announced its 2019 program featuring Japanese-built Diamond Princess returning for her sixth season, sailing roundtrip from Tokyo (Yokohama) and Kobe.
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Valencia-based Princess Cruises released its 2019 Canada and New England cruise schedule, featuring Regal Princess and Caribbean Princess on the line’s largest fall deployment and the opportunity to visit Greenland roundtrip from New York
Thursday, Dec 14, 2017
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Friday:
Thursday, Dec 14, 2017
This Friday and Saturday (Dec. 15-16), The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance brings their annual Winter Dance Concert to the REDCAT stage.
Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017
The Caribbean is back, better than ever, and Valencia-based Princess Cruises is offering the best fares of the season during the “Exclusively Caribbean Sale,” on 7-, 8-, 10-, 14-day sailings departing February through April 2018.
"The final tax reform bill released punishes homeowners and weakens homeownership, and in fact, it looks at homeowners and the housing market as nothing more than a piggy bank," said C.A.R. President Steve White.
Realtors: Final GOP Tax Bill Punishes Homeowners
1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]
1902 - Hi Jolly (Hadji Ali), Gen. E.F. Beale's Syrian camel driver, dies at Quartzsite, Ariz. [story]
The National Weather Service has called a Fire Weather Watch for this weekend for Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains and valleys including the Santa Clarita Valley due to gusty northeast wind and low relative humidity.
Weekend Fire Weather Watch Called for SCV
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 21-year-old man who had an outstanding warrant and was allegedly in possession of cocaine in Canyon Country early Thursday.
Bicyclist Arrested for Warrant, Cocaine in Canyon Country
Princess Cruises Unveils 2019 Japan Cruise Program
Princess Cruises Sets Fall 2019 Cruises to Canada, New England
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department looks back at five years of work by its Domestic Highway Enforcement Team, which has disrupted the operations of the drug cartels by confiscating millions of dollars in illegal drugs and drug money.
Elite LASD Drug Enforcement Team Disrupts Cartel Operations
College of the Canyons quarterback Andrew Brito, wide receiver Desean Holmes and linebacker KJ Latu have been named to the 2017 Region III All-California Community College Football Team.
Brito, Holmes, Latu Represent Cougars on All-State Team
Tickets and sponsorships are now available for the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce's 2018 awards ceremony and installation of new officers at Tournament Players Club in Valencia on Friday night, January 26.
Jan. 26: SCV Chamber of Commerce 2018 Awards, Installation Gala
Sponsorships are now open for the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation's 2018 Economic Outlook Conference, set for Thursday, March 8, 2018 at a location to be announced shortly.
SCV 2018 Economic Outlook Conference Tickets, Sponsorships Open
SetPoint Medical, a Valencia-based biomedical company developing therapy for chronic inflammatory diseases, has received approval from the FDA to initiate a pilot trial in the U.S. for patients with drug-refractory rheumatoid arthritis.
FDA OK’s SetPoint Bioelectronic Therapy Study for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr., representing the United States - and states and regions leading on climate across the globe - joined world leaders at the One Planet Summit Tuesday, the two-year anniversary of the Paris Agreement.
Brown in Paris: ‘We Can’t Wait for White House to Wake Up’
The regular Planning Commission meeting scheduled for Tuesday, December 19 has been canceled, according to a notification from the city of Santa Clarita today.
City Cancels Dec. 19 Planning Commission Meeting
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, December 19, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 19: L.A. County Board of Supervisors Meeting
L.A. County's Bringing Our Loved Ones Home Task Force officials unveiled their final recommendations, endorsing a plan to use a voluntary system of trackable bracelets to find people prone to wandering, like those suffering from Alzheimer’s or autism.
County Task Force Calls for Tracking Bracelets to Locate Lost Individuals
The Community Development Commission of the county of Los Angeles looks back on 35 years of advancing its core program areas: affordable housing and housing, community and economic development.
County Community Development Commission Marks 35th Anniversary
Metro is seeking two new members to join the Measure M Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee.
Metro Seeks 2 New Measure M Oversight Committee Members
The California Air Resources Board approved a $663 million low-carbon transportation plan Thursday to increase the use of clean cars, heavy-duty trucks, buses and freight equipment.
Air Resources Board OK’s $663 Million for Clean Vehicles
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released its public safety and crime information report for Saugus (Zone 4) for December 4-10, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Petty Theft in Saugus
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has filed his strong opposition to the Trump Administration’s illegal attempt to suspend the 2015 Clean Water Rule for two years.
California AG, 10 Others Oppose Feds’ Suspension of Clean Water Rule
Conservation groups on Friday lobbied a federal judge for permission to join a fight between the federal government and a ranching association over a trio of California amphibian species.
Conservationists Lobby to Join Fray Over Frog Habitat
1987 - Incorporation: Santa Clarita officially becomes a city [story]
With an offense that challenged the program’s single-season goals record, The Master’s University women’s soccer team was almost almost never out of any game it played: The Mustangs were always within striking range.
Lady Mustangs Within Range of Directors’ Cup Top Spots
When Ed Jackiewicz met Tera Trujillo in spring 2015, she was studying at a desk she’d carried to the corner of the California State University, Northridge soccer field, in a “time out” of sorts, unable to practice because she’d just earned a D in an economics class.
CSUN’s “Under Armour Faculty” Promotes Academic Success in Student-Athletes
When Rafael Munoz recalls his time at the Layer 8 Computer Security Club at California State University, Northridge, he feels proud and thankful.
CSUN’s Tech Education Makes Top 10 List
The city of Santa Clarita Arts and Events division is currently seeking proposals for solo exhibits for 2018 in the gallery space at The MAIN, the City’s newest arts venue in Old Town Newhall.
City Seeking Artists for 2018 Solo Exhibits
NORTHRIDGE, Calif.---CSUN Men's Basketball returns to the road for the final time in the non-conference season this weekend.
CSUN to Face-Off Against Formal Rival Eastern Washington
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Friday:
Dec. 15: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Dec. 15, 16: Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance Concert at REDCAT
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board has approved naming Dr. Collyn Nielsen as Chief Administrative Officer and Jan Hayes-Rennels as Director of Special Programs and Staff Development.
Hart Appoints Nielsen, Hayes-Rennels to District Office Positions
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The CSUN men's volleyball team was picked to finish third in the inaugural Big West Men's Volleyball Preseason Coaches Poll announced Thursday.
Big West Pre-Season Coaches Poll Puts Matadors Volleyball at No. 3
A 44-year-old transient was arrested by SCV Sheriff's Station deputies Wednesday afternoon after he allegedly tried to pick up his 8-year-old niece from a school in Santa Clarita.
Suspect Arrested in Attempted Kidnapping
It was a night to honor exceptional mentors at California State University, Northridge, but the five recipients of the 2017 Don Dorsey Excellence in Mentoring Awards just wanted to talk about their students.
CSUN Pays Tribute to Mentors Who Have Made a Difference
The words leapt right off the page and hung in the air, heavy, encircling the audience. Their creator stood, offering his gifts of verse — shared in a powerful baritone voice.
Literary Star Power Comes to CSUN
While critical fire conditions continue through Friday, the final numbers for the Rye Fire have been released.
Officials Release Final Numbers on Rye Fire