Clear
Clear

November 15
1978 - Southern Pacific Saugus depot closes; later moved & used as SCV Historical Society museum [story]

Black smoke filled the air in Canyon Country Tuesday morning.  Photo taken near Soledad Canyon Road and Whites Canyon Road.

Black smoke filled the air in Canyon Country Tuesday morning. Photo taken near Soledad Canyon Road and Whites Canyon Road.

[KHTS – Kimberly Beers] A Canyon Country resident was transported to the hospital after Los Angeles County firefighters responded Tuesday morning to a structure fire.

Firefighters were dispatched at 11:14 a.m. to a call about a boat in the driveway of a house possibly on fire, fire officials said. The house was the only structure damaged.

Witnesses who lived on the 18000 block of Delight Street, near Whites Canyon Road, described an initial blast as similar to an earthquake before the fire was reported.

Photo Courtesy KHTS AM 1220

Photo Courtesy KHTS AM 1220

The victim, who was taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, was treated for burns. The victim lived at the address and appeared to be the only one injured, according to neighbors.

Firefighters arrived on scene seven minutes after the fire was reported, and the fire was declared out by 11:35 a.m.

The severity of the victim’s injuries is not known; however, he was conscious as he was being transported.

1. Exactly what I thought too Stacy:/

2. Cerca d sus casa cuidado Sonia Delacruz y Lourdes Guzman

3. Jesse Roach Jesse Roach says:

Joann Siracusa Roach Craig Roach

4. Jesse dad saw the smoke this morning when as he was passing by. :(

5. Sad that an exploded meth lab is the first cause that comes to mind.

6. But that’s our reality.

7. Matthew Stephens or Rachel Stephens maybe this was your old neighbor roger….

8. 5 houses from me. Responders stated meth lab explosion possibly

9. Holly crap Nanci Tallent Webster

10. Irvin Burton Irvin Burton says:

Hope the injured person is okay…

11. Mary Cain Mary Cain says:

You people act like they don’t have meth labs in Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. Lord knows those cities have a huge heroin problem. Maybe CC is getting a bad reputation from people like you assuming the worst. That’s how rumors spread. It was a boat explosion…….nothing to do with drugs at all

12. Enrique Henry Serrato

13. Nicely stated, Kimberly Beers!

14. I used to go to school right there. On the other side of that building is an automotive place than a jr high school (sierra vista) & homes & 2 elementary schools and a high school (Canyon High school). Lots of drugs and drug houses in that area.

15. I used to go to school right there. On the other side of that building is an automotive place than a jr high school (sierra vista) & homes & 2 elementary schools and a high school (Canyon High school). Lots of drugs and drug houses in that area.

16. Megan Ebert Megan Ebert says:

NOOO save tj max and KFC Krisi Jackson

17. Megan Ebert Megan Ebert says:

NOOO save tj max and KFC Krisi Jackson

• I wasn’t home this morning…. I was in the middle of CA somewhere…. on my way home from my family reunion. This is the first I’ve heard of this…. thank you, only a couple of blocks away apparently.

18. They have pot farms in empty houses in stevenson ranch busted one not to long ago, also the crazies who burn their own house down cause they dont want to go to jail! Lol!

19. They have pot farms in empty houses in stevenson ranch busted one not to long ago, also the crazies who burn their own house down cause they dont want to go to jail! Lol!

20. Making meth in the boat???

21. Making meth in the boat???

22. Dan Conner Dan Conner says:

Dustin Grieve you ok

23. Dan Conner Dan Conner says:

Dustin Grieve you ok

24. Angel Caido Angel Caido says:

Ya kemaste la tj max Adriana Riivas ???

25. Angel Caido Angel Caido says:

Ya kemaste la tj max Adriana Riivas ???

26. Chad A Landry this is right by your guys old house lol

27. Chad A Landry this is right by your guys old house lol

28. Hahahahahah Angel Caido no fue mi intención :( lo juro hahahaha …. jk no claro q no hoy descanse :P apenas me entere de eso

29. Hahahahahah Angel Caido no fue mi intención :( lo juro hahahaha …. jk no claro q no hoy descanse :P apenas me entere de eso

30. Angel Caido Angel Caido says:

K raro k el dia d tu descanso paso eso ..mm eso t hace sospechosa Adriana Riivas haha

31. Angel Caido Angel Caido says:

32. Hahahahahaha :( oh cielos :( sólo no digas nada sale :(

33. Hahahahahaha :( oh cielos :( sólo no digas nada sale :(

34. Meth labs are everywhere but but the dealers live in Valencia cause they have the money! Lol

35. Meth labs are everywhere but but the dealers live in Valencia cause they have the money! Lol

36. Lisa, this is the smoke we saw on our walk

37. Lisa, this is the smoke we saw on our walk

38. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

That’s my neck of the woods that I grew up in and canyon country delight Street pleasantdale stillmore Avenue those were my Stompin Grounds I do real estate now and I had an open house up in plum Canyon and I drove through the old neighborhood just to check it out I I hadn’t lived there in 20 years that place is horrible I can’t imagine raising a child over there and thinking that I was a child that was raised
    there sad to know that Canyon country has just gone kaput

39. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

there sad to know that Canyon country has just gone kaput

40. I saw this frm via princessa metrolink…it was way bigger then this photo…I was amazed @ how fast they put it down…in mere minutes once on scene…applause santa clarita fire folk !

41. I saw this frm via princessa metrolink…it was way bigger then this photo…I was amazed @ how fast they put it down…in mere minutes once on scene…applause santa clarita fire folk !

42. Kimberly Beers you’re famous! =p

43. Kurt Buck Kurt Buck says:

Of course it was a meth lab. They blow up real good.

44. Now that the houses prices are going up, this area is getting cleaned up.

45. Saw aftermath. Dang hope everyone was ok

46. Saw aftermath. Dang hope everyone was ok

47. People get your facts straight before telling what you think it is.. This is how RUMORS get started.

48. Kelly Petiford and here I was thinking I was already famous for my serving abilities.

49. Saw the smoke on my way to work before noon.

50. Karen Ehrlich-Christie says:

I was home just on the other side of the hill from the fire, the smell was of strong burning fuel. If the boat’s tank exploded, that would be a perfect fit for the burning smell. Hope the person burned isn’t too badly injured. Try to focus on the story not another excuse to bash North Oaks. There are still decent people who live there and no one is immune from drugs being dealt or manufactured in their neighborhood so keep your attention to where you live now if you are so concerned.

51. Dont they make in a Gatorade bottle labs r so ol skewl

52. Ya nos cargp el pallaso

53. Mary Cain Mary Cain says:

The fire and smoke are clearly coming from the boat. Some of you are all about the drama that you have to make up stories.

54. Anyone know the person who lives there??

55. I use to live right there. ..cray cray…

56. What does he look like Janet ? Tattoos? Dark hair? Young/old? Trying to figure out if it was a friends house

57. Oh ok..wasn’t the person I thought…thank you

58. Oh ok..wasn’t the person I thought…thank you

Thursday, Nov 14, 2019
2 Dead, 4 Wounded in Saugus High School Shooting
Two people were killed and four others, all students, were wounded when they were shot at Saugus High School Thursday morning.
Thursday, Nov 14, 2019
Saugus High Shooting Survivors Share Their Stories
“Shooter, Shooter! There’s a shooter!” That was the first thing Saugus High School 10th-grader Nathan Ephren remembers hearing while he walked onto campus Thursday morning.
Thursday, Nov 14, 2019
Officials Weigh in on Saugus High School Shooting
Public officials released statements and posted comments to social media Thursday in the wake of the Saugus High School shooting Thursday morning.

2 Dead, 4 Wounded in Saugus High School Shooting
Saugus High Shooting Survivors Share Their Stories
Officials Weigh in on Saugus High School Shooting
The Santa Clarita community responded quickly to come to the aid of those affected by the shootings at Saugus High School Thursday morning.
Community Reaches Out to Those Affected by Saugus High Shooting
It was like any other day of the week for the Branch and Beltran families — making breakfast, getting ready for the day’s routine — until they heard a swarm of police surround Saugus High School on Thursday morning as an active shooter incident developed.
Centurion Way Residents React to Saugus High Shooting
1935 - Voters approve $22,000 construction bond to build a bigger Saugus School. WPA kicked in another $17,181. [story]
Saugus School
Today in SCV History (Nov. 14)
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to approve the transfer of the operation of the John Anson Ford Theatres to the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association.
County Names LA Phil New Operator of Ford Theatres
The candidate filing period for the March 3, 2020, Presidential Primary Election is now open, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan announced Tuesday.
Filing Period Now Open for 2020 Primary Candidates
The Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District will hold its regular meeting, Thursday, Nov. 14, at 7:00 p.m.
Nov. 14: Greater LA County Vector Control Regular Meeting
Five College of the Canyons students won the People’s Choice Award at the International Interior Design Association's LA Haunt Couture show on Thursday, Oct. 24.
Five COC Students Win Interior Design Award
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors passed a motion authored by Supervisor Janice Hahn and co-authored by Supervisor Sheila Kuehl Tuesday to address the Board and Care crisis throughout the county.
LA County to Intervene to Prevent Board and Care Closures
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies detained a man Wednesday who reportedly threatened to jump from a freeway overpass, after a reported disturbance on an out-of-town bus trip.
One Detained in Bizarre I-5 Freeway Disturbance
With the holiday season just around the corner, the College of the Canyons School of Visual and Performing Arts, or VAPA, has an exciting lineup of shows that are sure to delight family and friends of all ages well into the next year.
COC Visual, Performing Arts Sets Holiday Concerts at PAC
The Women’s Council of Realtors of Santa Clarita Valley invites local residents to help celebrate the installation of its 2020 Board members at the Sand Canyon Country club on Friday, November 22, at 6 p.m.
Nov. 22: Women’s Council of Realtors to Install 2020 Board
Santa Clarita veterans and residents are invited to board a Santa Clarita Transit coach for a patriotic ride to Knott’s Berry Farm for on Sunday, November 17.
Nov. 17: City Bus Service to Knott’s for ‘Military Tribute Days’
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a motion by Supervisors Kathryn Barger and Hilda Solis that adopts a framework and associated funding to help the county's cities address their individual homelessness challenges.
County Adopts Initiative for City Homelessness Funding
The Sulphur Springs Union School District board of trustees was scheduled Tuesday to consider the authorization of a $78 million bond measure to be placed on the March 2020 ballot.
Sulphur Springs Considers $78M School Bond Measure
The Santa Clarita Valley’s top cop, Capt. Robert Lewis, took a moment Tuesday to reflect on a county report showing the SCV Sheriff’s Station received the second-highest number of commendations from the public and tied for third place for receiving the most complaints among Los Angeles County sheriff’s stations, bureaus and divisions.
Capt. Lewis Reflects on Latest OIG Findings
The Santa Clarita City Council voted Tuesday night to extend a temporary ban on new sales of flavored tobacco products through October 2020.
City Council Extends Moratorium on Flavored Tobacco Products
Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom joined the California Museum, the state's official history museum, in announcing the 13th class of inductees into the California Hall of Fame.
Dec. 13: Induction of California Hall of Fame 13th Class
Detectives from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station would like to hear from Castaic residents who might help solve a series of property thefts from vehicles late Monday night.
Detectives Seek Info on Vehicle Property Thefts in Castaic
Department of Water Resources officials lifted a caution advisory Friday about the threat of algae for both Pyramid Lake and Castaic Lake.
Algae Threat Removed for Pyramid Lake, Castaic Lake
A man identified by deputies as a transient was arrested in Newhall on the weekend on suspicion of attempted arson after allegedly setting magazines and papers on fire and then throwing them in planters.
Detectives Arrest Transient on Suspicion of Attempted Arson