Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

June 19
1946 - Community leader Bobbie (Nash) Trueblood arrives in Newhall [story]

Photo by Andy R.

Photo by Andy R.

California Highway Patrol officers are investigating a fatal crash that killed a 17-year-old female jogger on Golden Valley Road on Monday night, officials said.

“A jogger was heading westbound, near Golden Valley Road and Samantha Court, and she was struck by a vehicle traveling southbound on Golden Valley Road,” said Officer John Lutz of the California Highway Patrol.

A boy was driving a 1989 Toyota Celica. The victim is reportedly a Saugus High student.

A Tweet sent out by by Saugus High ASB Twitter account sent condolences to the family and friends of Jennifer Stift.

jenniferstiftStift was a Saugus High senior who was listed on the swim team’s roster for the 2013-14 school year.

No arrests have been made in the incident at this time.

Both the victim and the driver were 17 years old, according to CHP officials.

The name of the driver was not released.

Drugs and alcohol do not appear to be a factor in the crash, Lutz said, although he added that the investigation was ongoing.

A resident in the area told SCVTV, “There is continuous speeding and racing on that stretch (of road).  It’s out of control.”

fatal081814

1. The family is heartbroken.

2. Our prayers to Jen’s family and friends! RIP Jen

3. ralph says:

you just said the victims names were not released. but you posted her name?

4. Fred Castro Fred Castro says:

That’s hard to swallow. Prayers to the family.

5. Prayers for this entire family.

6. May she rest in peace, prayers to her family and friends.

7. Condolences to the family

8. So sad. My heart goes out to the family

9. She was an amazing awesome outgoing person
    Prayers sent to her family and sisters ❤️

10. That’s horrible ! I live there

11. carrie says:

God bless the family – my thoughts and prayers go out to them. :(

12. Michael Teh Michael Teh says:

Alicia Vang :( so sad

13. People fly down that street. Sad news. I hope she did not suffer.

14. So sorry for her, the driver and their families. May we all be reminded to take extra care and focus on the roads.

15. Omg. Sorry to family :(

16. Prayers to the family

17. Scott Levy Scott Levy says:

She is my neighbors daughter, and we have known her since she was a baby. It is a sad sad day.
    We love you Jennifer.

18. Such a heartbreaking story…..thoughts & prayers with the family…..

19. People are always driving too fast on that street

20. :( terrible tragedy. Hope it wasn’t because of texting and driving.

21. Wendy Mason Wendy Mason says:

I just got the Saugus High recorded message from the principal about this and I’m in tears. I didn’t know her or her family but my heart is broken. Sending prayers for both families.

22. So sad. Heartbreaking for both families involved.

23. Devastating!!!! So incredibly heartbreaking. My heart aches for this family

24. The ‘all call’ from Saugus was extremely emotional and heartfelt, my thoughts are with both families and the entire Centurion community

25. My deepest Condolences to all those hurting, RIP Jen…….

26. So sad to hear of this tragedy. My heart goes out to her family and friends. This type of thing will never make sense.

27. So sad..rip my prayers go out to who are affected

28. J Taylor says:

I, for one, had no idea that Golden Valley Road continued up near Plum Canyon. That’s where this all happened.
    Condolences to the family. Tragically sad situation :(

29. Tom Dehn Tom Dehn says:

Better to arrive 5 or 10 minutes later to your destination than not at all.

30. I literally run this stretch of road daily…i was maybe 8 minutes ahead of this incident. My heart is broken for the family and driver. God bless them all.

31. Sarah Kendig Sarah Kendig says:

Molly Hibbert Cahill

32. I just drove by n it was very sad to students there crying. My son knew her .its not an easy day for the family n saugus students. RIP

33. May she rest in peace! May God console her family in these times of grief!

34. Analilia Ortega, don’t know if you had any info:(

35. Cathy Orr says:

I walk almost every evening on this road. Once Golden Valley Road goes through, traffic will be even more horrendous. Runners, please stay off the blacktop. My heart is so sad for the family and friends of this beautiful soul. May God give them comfort.

36. That is so unfortunate! The family must be inconsolable and I’m sure the driver is devastated by his actions. Just a horrible tragedy all around.

37. Tricia LaMotte says:

Praying for comfort in Jesus’ Name for Jennifer’s family, and the young man who was driving, and his family. How devastating for all.

38. Heart wrenching. Sorry seems like such an understatement at this time. Praying, Praying, Praying…..<3

39. What a tragedy. My prayers are with all involved.

40. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Poor kid has to live with that now… Horrible for everyone.

41. Praying for her family and friends.

42. Iris Vigil Iris Vigil says:

Rip Jennifer , and my prayers go out to her family /.

43. Saddest message I’ve ever had to hear from the principle. My daughter first there and said everyone was crying today. ;(. Breaks my heart. Prayers to her family and friends.

44. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

heartbreaking…beautiful family…RIP sweet girl..prayer sent….

45. Poor baby. Gosh her poor family. Prayers going out to her family, as well as the 17 year old and his family. :(

46. Very sad … Praying for family and friends

47. Imelda Leano Imelda Leano says:

Prayers to the family. Just no words that can express a loss of a child. God please look over the family and the young lady taken from us.

48. Trish Coyle Trish Coyle says:

Heartbroken for Jen and her family. They are all very close! Sending prayers to you all! God Bless!

49. Michelle Manent Prochnow – to make it worse, Aaron just drove by there minutes after it happened. He told me about it and i didnt think it was right there because i just ran by there and nothing had happened. I know he felt helpless to help her :(

50. , this breaks my heart.

51. So sad. James goes to saugus high and my heart dropped when they sent out the phone call to parents

52. This broke my heart :(

53. Tânia ya te dije que me escribas en Spanish

54. Prayers to all. Prayers to Golden Valley HS too. Rough start to the school year.

55. I am broken hearted such a tragedy. Jenny will be so missed

56. So sad! My thoughts are with the family. The hubby and i walk that road almost daily. It is ridiculous how fast the cars speed up/down that road.

57. Felt very bad hearing this.

58. A friend of mine was hit n killed on that same road in 08 hopefully they make some changes

59. My daughter was telling me about this….the family lives a few houses from her

60. Felix Garcia Felix Garcia says:

I pray for her soul and her family in this difficult times…

61. Felix Garcia Felix Garcia says:

I pray for her soul and her family in this difficult times…

62. Wow I am very sorry to hear this.

63. Wow I am very sorry to hear this.

64. So tragic for both families involved hugs and prayers

65. So tragic for both families involved hugs and prayers

66. Very sad message from the Principle… My daughter said it was a very sad day at school. RIP and prayers for both families

67. This is so sad – my thoughts and prayers to her family! RIP Angel!

68. I’m so sad for both of them.

69. I’m so sad for both of them.

70. Silvie Faust Silvie Faust says:

My daughter was friends with her in the swim team..my heart broken.

71. Silvie Faust Silvie Faust says:

My daughter was friends with her in the swim team..my heart broken.

72. This is just plain sad. PEOPLE OF SANTA CLARITA…..REALLY ? SLOW DOWN ! THIS COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN ANY OF OUR FAMILY MEMBERS. Prayers and blessings to the family for thier loss. ♡

73. This is just plain sad. PEOPLE OF SANTA CLARITA…..REALLY ? SLOW DOWN ! THIS COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN ANY OF OUR FAMILY MEMBERS. Prayers and blessings to the family for thier loss. ♡

74. I cannot handle this type of news. I’m so sorry for your loss for those friends and family members that might be reading this now. Prayers.

75. Sean Jamadar Sean Jamadar says:

May god please help her spirit and family

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019
Newsom Issues Apology for State’s Wrongdoings to Native Americans
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom issued an apology Tuesday through executive order on behalf of California to California Native American Peoples for the many instances of violence, mistreatment and neglect inflicted upon California Native Americans throughout the state’s history.
Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019
ACLU Blasts Lacey Over Continued Pursuit of Death Penalty Despite Moratorium
LOS ANGELES (CN) – A report released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union blasted Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey, finding she has only secured death penalty convictions against people of color since taking office in 2012.
Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019
June 22: Deadline to Join SCV Fourth of July Parade
While you’re starting to make your plans for Independence Day, don’t forget the Santa Clarita Valley Fourth of July Parade.

1946 - Community leader Bobbie (Nash) Trueblood arrives in Newhall [story]
Stay Green Inc., a Southern California-based landscape industry leader, has once again been named to Lawn and Landscape Magazine's list of the Top 100 landscaping companies in North America.
Local Landscape Firm Named Among Nation’s Top 100
Newsom Issues Apology for State’s Wrongdoings to Native Americans
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a proposal Tuesday by Board Chair Janice Hahn to explore master leasing agreements with motels across the County in order to use rooms as interim housing for chronically homeless individuals.
County to Explore Motel Leasing Agreements as Interim Housing for Homeless
ACLU Blasts Lacey Over Continued Pursuit of Death Penalty Despite Moratorium
June 22: Deadline to Join SCV Fourth of July Parade
The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck is rolling back into Valencia this Saturday, June 22, from 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
June 22: Hello Kitty Cafe Truck at Westfield Town Center
The following events are scheduled for the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce:
POP-Up Biz Expo, Patriots Luncheon, Empowering Women’s Lunch Coming Up at SCV Chamber
According to a recent report by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA), homelessness in LA County has climbed 12 percent over the past year, in a dramatic reversal from a four percent decline the previous year. Homelessness has been a persistent issue in California, stymied by the lack of a comprehensive system-wide solution and resources.
CalArtian Easing LA’s Homeless Crisis One Bag at a Time
Recently, the Probation Reform and Implementation Team (PRIT) released comprehensive recommendations outlining its proposed authority and structure for the civilian Probation Oversight Commission (POC) for Los Angeles County’s Probation Department, the largest in the U.S. The proposal includes a call for subpoena power, authority to investigate complaints, and empowering former Probationers as community liaisons to serve as the County’s “eyes and ears.”
County Releases Recommendations for Civilian Oversight Commission
The Santa Clarita Public Library is looking for a fun and friendly team of volunteers to help out during the Summer Reading Program, taking place now through July 27 at all Santa Clarita Public Library branches.
Volunteers Needed for Santa Clarita Library’s Summer Reading Program
This weekend, The Power Plant, a leading contemporary visual art gallery in Toronto, Canada, opens If you end up with the story you started with, then you're not listening along the way, by artist Mario Pfeifer (Film/Video 09).
CalArts Grad Opens New Solo Show in Toronto
The San Fernando Valley Council of Governments Transportation Committee, whose members include Santa Clarita Mayor Marsha McLean, will hold a meeting Thursday, June 20, at 1:30 p.m.
June 20: SFV Council of Governments Transportation Committee Meeting
The Master's University women's soccer team has signed Alexis Mendoza, a technically-sound midfielder who head coach Curtis Lewis described as "calm on the ball."
SoCal Midfielder Alexis Mendoza Signs with TMU
Officials working on the construction of Castaic High School believe they’ll be able to meet the deadline to open the school, just days after it was revealed the school site was without gas piping and hookups weeks before opening.
Officials Now Believe Castaic High Will Meet Deadline After County Expedites Permits
With the onset of summer temperatures, Crime Prevention Unit deputies parked the patrol cars and took to foot patrol, checking the welfare of homeless individuals on Monday.
Crime Prevention Deputies Check In on Welfare of Homeless Individuals
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) meeting will be held Wednesday, June 19, from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
June 19: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
1925 - Newhall lawman Jack Pilcher buried; funeral expenses paid by local Ku Klux Klan [story]
Jack Pilcher
The Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival is back, and continuing an expanded season with Summer Theatre Festival 2019 events through August.
Shakespeare Festival Sets 2019 Summer Theatre Events
In her latest "Director's Blog" entry, Los Angeles County Animal Care & Control Director Marcia Mayeda offers information about pet aging and tips senior pet care.
County Animal Care Director Offers Tips for Senior Pet Care
Fourth of July 2019 is only a few weeks away and, as you begin to make plans to celebrate, do not forget about all the fun activities that are happening throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
Top 10 Tips to Make this a Great Fourth of July in SCV
The Public Outreach and Legislation Committee of SCV Water is scheduled to meet next on Thursday, June 20, at 5:30 p.m.
June 20: SCV Water Public Outreach, Legislation Committee Meeting
The nonprofit Santa Clarita Valley Committee on Aging will host its annual assembly at the new Bella Vida senior center in Canyon Country on Thursday, June 20, starting at 5 p.m.
June 20: Annual Assembly at Bella Vida Senior Center
Two people were airlifted to the hospital Monday afternoon after being plucked from a ravine where their box truck plunged into the dry creek bed near Agua Dulce.
Two Airlifted from Crash After Truck Plunges into Ravine