Intermittent clouds
Intermittent clouds

July 20
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]

[KHTS] – A new California law that takes effect Sept. 16 will require drivers to give bicyclists 3 feet of room while passing on roadways.

The “Three Feet for Safety” law, authored by Assemblyman Steven Bradford, D-Gardena, threatens motorists with a $35 fine plus fees, if they get too close to a cyclists. If a collision occurs, the fine could range from $220-959, including court fees, which can increase such a fine by thousands of dollars.

Local Cyclist and bike activist, Kevin Korenthal, sees the law as more of a message to drivers than a cut and dry law about exact measurements.

cyclist“They have a responsibility to give bicyclists enough space to safely pass them,” says Korenthal.

“But bicyclists need to be safe while riding as well,” says Korenthal.

The law, which was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown last September, requires motorists to give bicyclists 3 feet of room, on either side of the vehicle, when passing a cyclist. If this is not a possibility, motorists are required to follow behind the bicyclist until there is room to pass.

“Three Feet for Safety illustrates what many motorists still don’t understand – that bicyclists legally have a right to be on the road in California, even on streets that don’t include indicated bike lanes,” according to a statement from the California Bicycle Coalition. “Motorists need to respect bicyclists by learning to pass them safely.”

“As a lifelong cyclist, I know firsthand that when cars and bikes collide, it often turns to tragedy,” Bradford said.

“In fact, getting hit from behind, or sideswiped by a car passing too closely, is one of the top ways bicyclists are injured,” according to the CBC. “Nationally, 40 percent of fatal bike crashes are caused by unsafe passing according to the League of American Bicyclists.”

California is the 22nd state to pass similar laws.

Bicycling has increased 50 percent in California since 2000, according to the California Household Transportation Survey, with about 2 million bike trips daily statewide.

In 2014, California moved from 19th to 9th in the annual Bicycle Friendly State rankings by the League of American Bicyclists.

– Kimberly Beers

1. I have a comment. Bicyclists should stay off Wiley Canyon between Lyons and Calgrove if they want to stay alive. Joggers as well. I can’t understand people exercising there for health. It’s more like to cheat death.

2. They waste a lot of time up there in Sacramento.

3. Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

Fine the cyclists for riding their bikes across the crosswalks.

• and on sidewalks where it’s illegal, and against traffic … the city could be rich

• Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

A friend of mine was at a t intersection in a residential neighborhood. He looked right, left, right then inched out to see around the parked cars on the street in front of him. Again, looked right, left, right. As he proceeded to turn, a minor zipped in front of him, on his bike and my friend tapped him. Did 1500 bucks in damage to car. police said report didnt need to be filed, no one was hurt. then my friend got a letter from a personal injury lawyer. Insurance company found my friend less than 51 percent at fault, but they still paid the kid off not to sue. My friend was 100 percent not at fault. Minors are allowed to ride on the sidewalks, but WITH a helmet, and everyone must walk bikes across crosswalks.

4. Eric Beattie Eric Beattie says:

I need some laws for my heeleys

5. Eric Beattie Eric Beattie says:

Global Warming is a scam, buy a car, you dirty hippies

6. Nic Miller Nic Miller says:

And ride the line in the canyons, not 4-wide and ignoring the cars that can’t see them until it’s too late and a car is oncoming and I can’t do sh*t. I’m all for sharing the road, but it goes both ways.

7. So when they ride the lines to the left on a two way street, we are not going to get pulled over for going over the double yellow?

8. And while we are at it, how about bicyclists riding on the CORRECT side of the road, and off of the sidewalks as well? Let’s throw a little more law into it.

9. I won’t vote for it. Cyclists have miles and miles of protected paseos and bike paths in this valley. USE THEM.
    I’m over the Tour de France wanna-be crowd monopolizing Bouquet Canyon Rd on the weekends.
    We’ve had aggressive confrontations more than once around central park. I’ve had my passenger window spat on, and watched riders stop traffic on Copperhill after being stranded in the median while crossing mid-traffic, during a busy traffic hour.
    If they want US to obey laws for them, then license them, and fine them for obstructing traffic, etc.

10. Just let us ride side walks befor so all hole kills another biker with there car cause they didnt see him

11. Cody Lucas Cody Lucas says:

I will obey that law when bicyclists pay the same registration and nonsense that I pay to use the roads. They are generally inconsiderate and a danger to everyone driving on the road.

12. Cody Lucas Cody Lucas says:

13. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Watch out for those “all holes” for sure! Bust a rim.

14. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Watch out for those “all holes” for sure! Bust a rim.

15. Does this law apply to narrow canyon roads and cyclists who choose the road instead of the bike paths? I love to ride but I dont compromise my safety to ride on the road when there are bike path across the street or next to where I am riding. I see this ALL the time. If Im on a 50 mph road and a rider chooses not only to ride on the road but in the traffic lanes, it isnt feasible for me to have to almost stop and then change lanes to avoid hitting them and give them an extra 3 feet when there is a clear and safe alternative. I am not sure but I believe they have the same responsibility to pull over to let faster traffic go by just as motorized vehicles have that responsibility but I never see it happen with cyclists.

16. Does this law apply to narrow canyon roads and cyclists who choose the road instead of the bike paths? I love to ride but I dont compromise my safety to ride on the road when there are bike path across the street or next to where I am riding. I see this ALL the time. If Im on a 50 mph road and a rider chooses not only to ride on the road but in the traffic lanes, it isnt feasible for me to have to almost stop and then change lanes to avoid hitting them and give them an extra 3 feet when there is a clear and safe alternative. I am not sure but I believe they have the same responsibility to pull over to let faster traffic go by just as motorized vehicles have that responsibility but I never see it happen with cyclists.

17. does this mean i can drive my car on the paseo’s? awesome….should cut down my commute time!!

18. Nicole Galdi Nicole Galdi says:

They need to stay in bike lanes! Placerita cyn is the stupidest place to ride your bike. How about you guys do some real riding and go ride in the mountains

19. Bryan Pievac Bryan Pievac says:

I’ll give the guy his 3ft is he stays in his own damn lane
    You don’t see cars riding right on the line so maybe a cyclist shouldn’t do it either
    Isn’t it common sense for bikers? I don’t understand
    You don’t want to be run over by cars yet you ride in the middle of streets with no bike lanes and even when there are bike lanes, you still manage to ride outside your lane in the car lane???
    You want to live right? Shouldn’t you be riding in your bike lane as close as you can to the curb where there are no cars?? I don’t understand why cyclists get all butt hurt when they are crowding the car lanes
    And almost get swiped
    Just last week I almost got in an accident because of a cyclist
    He was riding in the car lane a good 3ft out of his bike lane while I had a uhall truck to my left
    3 choices
    Hit the uhall truck to avoid the cyclist, hit the cyclist, or slam by brakes because he moved another 3ft into my lane now basically riding in the middle of the car lane?
    I chose option 3 because that guy decided to move further into my car lane
    Honked at him and told him to move over
    His response…
    “Hey man share the road..”
    What happened to people’s common sense these days? Seriously

20. Gary Mason Gary Mason says:

I ride and I don’t support this… Then again I’m not one of the d-bag riders that ride 2,3 and Even 4 wide on a two lane road.

21. Daniel Konz Daniel Konz says:

Laws don’t make riding a bicycle in traffic any safer or any smarter…

22. Daniel Konz Daniel Konz says:

Also…
    Has Sacramento looked at a tape measure lately..?
    How wide exactly do they think a traffic lane is..?

8 foot lane – 6 foot wide truck – 2 foot of bike/rider = -3 feet for room…

Unless the motorists cross the line or slow an entire lane of traffic…

Where is the increased safety exactly..?

23. Wow, what vitriol and hatred. I bet some of you people have loved ones that ride…

24. As a bicyclist who has ridden the Solvang Century at least 8 times, I must say that I see an ever growing problem with rude, self centered, narcissistic folks — many of whom have now taken up recreational bicycling. Some have vandalized and damaged private property rather than using bike friendly access points specifically placed for them to use; failed to obey the rules of the road, such as stopping at stop signs, red lights, etc.; caused traffic accidents and fled without being identified; people under 18 yrs riding without helmets on; people riding while talking on their cell phones; people riding while having ear buds in both ears and apparently listening to some sort of device; people blasting down narrow hiking trails where bicyling is prohibited; riding when they are supposed to be walking; riding on sidewalks or against traffic; etc . If you want more rights, they really come with certain responsiblities. I would now like to see bicyclists licensed and required to display a license or tag so they can more readily identifiable. I would participate in such too. I challenge the responsible bicylists, including their Advocacy Groups and Clubs to police themselves and gently correct those few that are giving bicyclists a very bad name — I have seen all of this with my own eyes and all during this past year!

25. What a bunch of a-holes.

26. What a bunch of a-holes.

27. What are the rules as to how far into traffic they can ride?

28. Good luck enforcing that one.

29. Than the bicyclists should should watch there distance also

30. Cathy says:

FYI… cyclist over the age of 16 usually do have a “bike” drivers license, it’s issued by the DMV. It also permits you to drive a car. All of the rules of the road apply to everyone. You can look it up in that little handbook they give out. When I was a little girl we had bicycle safety class once a year at our elementary school (Santa Clarita). It was taught by the local Sheriff. Having a bike is a kids first step of independence. They need to know the rules of the road. But who is going to teach them these days? We need a volunteer program with the bike clubs to fill the gap and educate these young riders. Most of you seem to have had problems with the younger riders. Education is the answer. In this very same SCVTV post they wrote on how a family buried a young girl because some body lost control of their car. Your car is also a weapon when not driven properly. Please share the road and drive safely.

Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.

More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream
The Sierra Hillbillies Square & Round Dance Club will throw a good old-fashioned picnic and dance to the calls of Jay Henderson at the SCV Senior Center on Sunday, August 5 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sierra Hillbillies Set 2 Dances for August, September
A Spring Valley, California woman was arrested and charged for evading and resisting arrest on southbound Interstate 5 in Valencia late Tuesday night after a pursuit by the California Highway Patrol, according to the CHP.
CHP Pursuit Ends With Arrest of Woman on I-5 in Valencia
If you are a member of the U.S. House of Representatives with a private prison in your district, you are also more likely than your peers to co-sponsor punitive immigration legislation, according to a groundbreaking study by California State University, Northridge political science professor Jason Morin.
CSUN Study: Private Prison Operators Influencing Immigration Policy
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies handed out 25 traffic citations during a motorcycle safety enforcement operation in Santa Clarita on Saturday.
SCV Deputies Hand Out 25 Traffic Tickets in Safety Push
A Santa Clarita bank robbery suspect dubbed by the FBI as the "Faux Badge Bandit" is now also suspected of robbing banks in Northern California, according to authorities.
‘Faux Badge Bandit’ Also a Suspect in NoCal Bank Heists
A Ninth Circuit panel on Tuesday affirmed a federal judge’s order preliminarily barring California from enforcing a voter-approved ban on high-capacity gun magazines.
Ninth Circuit Upholds Block of California Gun Magazine Ban
The California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers customers a convenient way to complete a driver license or identification card application online before visiting a field office.
DMV Debuts Online Application for Driver License, State ID Card
2009 - Two killed in crash of experimental plane in Sand Canyon [NTSB report]
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Casts Lone Vote Against Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness