Mostly clear
Mostly clear

May 21
1978 - St. Francis Dam site becomes a State Landmark [story]
state landmark dedication

[KHTS] – A new California law that takes effect Sept. 16 will require drivers to give bicyclists 3 feet of room while passing on roadways.

The “Three Feet for Safety” law, authored by Assemblyman Steven Bradford, D-Gardena, threatens motorists with a $35 fine plus fees, if they get too close to a cyclists. If a collision occurs, the fine could range from $220-959, including court fees, which can increase such a fine by thousands of dollars.

Local Cyclist and bike activist, Kevin Korenthal, sees the law as more of a message to drivers than a cut and dry law about exact measurements.

cyclist“They have a responsibility to give bicyclists enough space to safely pass them,” says Korenthal.

“But bicyclists need to be safe while riding as well,” says Korenthal.

The law, which was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown last September, requires motorists to give bicyclists 3 feet of room, on either side of the vehicle, when passing a cyclist. If this is not a possibility, motorists are required to follow behind the bicyclist until there is room to pass.

“Three Feet for Safety illustrates what many motorists still don’t understand – that bicyclists legally have a right to be on the road in California, even on streets that don’t include indicated bike lanes,” according to a statement from the California Bicycle Coalition. “Motorists need to respect bicyclists by learning to pass them safely.”

“As a lifelong cyclist, I know firsthand that when cars and bikes collide, it often turns to tragedy,” Bradford said.

“In fact, getting hit from behind, or sideswiped by a car passing too closely, is one of the top ways bicyclists are injured,” according to the CBC. “Nationally, 40 percent of fatal bike crashes are caused by unsafe passing according to the League of American Bicyclists.”

California is the 22nd state to pass similar laws.

Bicycling has increased 50 percent in California since 2000, according to the California Household Transportation Survey, with about 2 million bike trips daily statewide.

In 2014, California moved from 19th to 9th in the annual Bicycle Friendly State rankings by the League of American Bicyclists.

– Kimberly Beers

1. I have a comment. Bicyclists should stay off Wiley Canyon between Lyons and Calgrove if they want to stay alive. Joggers as well. I can’t understand people exercising there for health. It’s more like to cheat death.

2. They waste a lot of time up there in Sacramento.

3. Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

Fine the cyclists for riding their bikes across the crosswalks.

• and on sidewalks where it’s illegal, and against traffic … the city could be rich

• Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

A friend of mine was at a t intersection in a residential neighborhood. He looked right, left, right then inched out to see around the parked cars on the street in front of him. Again, looked right, left, right. As he proceeded to turn, a minor zipped in front of him, on his bike and my friend tapped him. Did 1500 bucks in damage to car. police said report didnt need to be filed, no one was hurt. then my friend got a letter from a personal injury lawyer. Insurance company found my friend less than 51 percent at fault, but they still paid the kid off not to sue. My friend was 100 percent not at fault. Minors are allowed to ride on the sidewalks, but WITH a helmet, and everyone must walk bikes across crosswalks.

4. Eric Beattie Eric Beattie says:

I need some laws for my heeleys

5. Eric Beattie Eric Beattie says:

Global Warming is a scam, buy a car, you dirty hippies

6. Nic Miller Nic Miller says:

And ride the line in the canyons, not 4-wide and ignoring the cars that can’t see them until it’s too late and a car is oncoming and I can’t do sh*t. I’m all for sharing the road, but it goes both ways.

7. So when they ride the lines to the left on a two way street, we are not going to get pulled over for going over the double yellow?

8. And while we are at it, how about bicyclists riding on the CORRECT side of the road, and off of the sidewalks as well? Let’s throw a little more law into it.

9. I won’t vote for it. Cyclists have miles and miles of protected paseos and bike paths in this valley. USE THEM.
    I’m over the Tour de France wanna-be crowd monopolizing Bouquet Canyon Rd on the weekends.
    We’ve had aggressive confrontations more than once around central park. I’ve had my passenger window spat on, and watched riders stop traffic on Copperhill after being stranded in the median while crossing mid-traffic, during a busy traffic hour.
    If they want US to obey laws for them, then license them, and fine them for obstructing traffic, etc.

10. Just let us ride side walks befor so all hole kills another biker with there car cause they didnt see him

11. Cody Lucas Cody Lucas says:

I will obey that law when bicyclists pay the same registration and nonsense that I pay to use the roads. They are generally inconsiderate and a danger to everyone driving on the road.

12. Cody Lucas Cody Lucas says:

13. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Watch out for those “all holes” for sure! Bust a rim.

14. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Watch out for those “all holes” for sure! Bust a rim.

15. Does this law apply to narrow canyon roads and cyclists who choose the road instead of the bike paths? I love to ride but I dont compromise my safety to ride on the road when there are bike path across the street or next to where I am riding. I see this ALL the time. If Im on a 50 mph road and a rider chooses not only to ride on the road but in the traffic lanes, it isnt feasible for me to have to almost stop and then change lanes to avoid hitting them and give them an extra 3 feet when there is a clear and safe alternative. I am not sure but I believe they have the same responsibility to pull over to let faster traffic go by just as motorized vehicles have that responsibility but I never see it happen with cyclists.

16. Does this law apply to narrow canyon roads and cyclists who choose the road instead of the bike paths? I love to ride but I dont compromise my safety to ride on the road when there are bike path across the street or next to where I am riding. I see this ALL the time. If Im on a 50 mph road and a rider chooses not only to ride on the road but in the traffic lanes, it isnt feasible for me to have to almost stop and then change lanes to avoid hitting them and give them an extra 3 feet when there is a clear and safe alternative. I am not sure but I believe they have the same responsibility to pull over to let faster traffic go by just as motorized vehicles have that responsibility but I never see it happen with cyclists.

17. does this mean i can drive my car on the paseo’s? awesome….should cut down my commute time!!

18. Nicole Galdi Nicole Galdi says:

They need to stay in bike lanes! Placerita cyn is the stupidest place to ride your bike. How about you guys do some real riding and go ride in the mountains

19. Bryan Pievac Bryan Pievac says:

I’ll give the guy his 3ft is he stays in his own damn lane
    You don’t see cars riding right on the line so maybe a cyclist shouldn’t do it either
    Isn’t it common sense for bikers? I don’t understand
    You don’t want to be run over by cars yet you ride in the middle of streets with no bike lanes and even when there are bike lanes, you still manage to ride outside your lane in the car lane???
    You want to live right? Shouldn’t you be riding in your bike lane as close as you can to the curb where there are no cars?? I don’t understand why cyclists get all butt hurt when they are crowding the car lanes
    And almost get swiped
    Just last week I almost got in an accident because of a cyclist
    He was riding in the car lane a good 3ft out of his bike lane while I had a uhall truck to my left
    3 choices
    Hit the uhall truck to avoid the cyclist, hit the cyclist, or slam by brakes because he moved another 3ft into my lane now basically riding in the middle of the car lane?
    I chose option 3 because that guy decided to move further into my car lane
    Honked at him and told him to move over
    His response…
    “Hey man share the road..”
    What happened to people’s common sense these days? Seriously

20. Gary Mason Gary Mason says:

I ride and I don’t support this… Then again I’m not one of the d-bag riders that ride 2,3 and Even 4 wide on a two lane road.

21. Daniel Konz Daniel Konz says:

Laws don’t make riding a bicycle in traffic any safer or any smarter…

22. Daniel Konz Daniel Konz says:

Also…
    Has Sacramento looked at a tape measure lately..?
    How wide exactly do they think a traffic lane is..?

8 foot lane – 6 foot wide truck – 2 foot of bike/rider = -3 feet for room…

Unless the motorists cross the line or slow an entire lane of traffic…

Where is the increased safety exactly..?

23. Wow, what vitriol and hatred. I bet some of you people have loved ones that ride…

24. As a bicyclist who has ridden the Solvang Century at least 8 times, I must say that I see an ever growing problem with rude, self centered, narcissistic folks — many of whom have now taken up recreational bicycling. Some have vandalized and damaged private property rather than using bike friendly access points specifically placed for them to use; failed to obey the rules of the road, such as stopping at stop signs, red lights, etc.; caused traffic accidents and fled without being identified; people under 18 yrs riding without helmets on; people riding while talking on their cell phones; people riding while having ear buds in both ears and apparently listening to some sort of device; people blasting down narrow hiking trails where bicyling is prohibited; riding when they are supposed to be walking; riding on sidewalks or against traffic; etc . If you want more rights, they really come with certain responsiblities. I would now like to see bicyclists licensed and required to display a license or tag so they can more readily identifiable. I would participate in such too. I challenge the responsible bicylists, including their Advocacy Groups and Clubs to police themselves and gently correct those few that are giving bicyclists a very bad name — I have seen all of this with my own eyes and all during this past year!

25. What a bunch of a-holes.

26. What a bunch of a-holes.

27. What are the rules as to how far into traffic they can ride?

28. Good luck enforcing that one.

29. Than the bicyclists should should watch there distance also

30. Cathy says:

FYI… cyclist over the age of 16 usually do have a “bike” drivers license, it’s issued by the DMV. It also permits you to drive a car. All of the rules of the road apply to everyone. You can look it up in that little handbook they give out. When I was a little girl we had bicycle safety class once a year at our elementary school (Santa Clarita). It was taught by the local Sheriff. Having a bike is a kids first step of independence. They need to know the rules of the road. But who is going to teach them these days? We need a volunteer program with the bike clubs to fill the gap and educate these young riders. Most of you seem to have had problems with the younger riders. Education is the answer. In this very same SCVTV post they wrote on how a family buried a young girl because some body lost control of their car. Your car is also a weapon when not driven properly. Please share the road and drive safely.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Cornerstone Christian Alum Graduates from Air Force Basic Training
U.S. Air Force Airman Matthew G. Hernandez graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Wilk’s Doggie Donor Bill Would Allow Community Animals to Donate Blood
SACRAMENTO - State Sen. Scott Wilk, representing the 21st Senate District, announced Tuesday that Senate Bill 202 (SB 202) unanimously passed the Senate. SB 202 allows for the commercial use of animal blood from community-sourced donors.
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Deputies Respond to Report of Attack at Sierra Vista Junior High
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are on scene at Sierra Vista Junior High investigating a report of an attack by a student, according to officials.

SAN MATEO — Freshman thrower Jordan Palmer finished runner-up in the shot put and Delon Buncio placed fourth in the long jump as College of the Canyons track & field closed out its season by competing at CCCAA State Championship meet hosted by the College of San Mateo May 17-18.
COC Freshman Thrower Finishes Runner-Up at State Championships
NORTHRIDGE - With the programs' most qualifiers since 2017, the CSUN men's and women's track and field teams are getting ready to compete in the 2019 NCAA Division I West Regional this weekend at Sacramento State.
Matadors Track Team Heads to Sacramento for West Regionals
As part of ongoing efforts to provide the public and university stakeholders with additional access to financial information, the California State University has launched a new financial transparency portal.
CSU Launches Transparency Portal to Provide Additional Financial Access
On April 24, millions of people across the world celebrated Denim Day and wore denim to show their support for education and awareness about all forms of sexual violence.
Art Piece Inspired by Denim Day on Display at City Hall
Hart High School’s Regiment Band will be holding its annual Spring Concert Tuesday, May 21, at 7:00 p.m. in the Hart High School Auditorium.
May 21: Hart High School’s Annual Spring Concert
Cornerstone Christian Alum Graduates from Air Force Basic Training
Wilk’s Doggie Donor Bill Would Allow Community Animals to Donate Blood
Since Medicare pays for a significant amount of prescription opioids, we strive to ensure appropriate stewardship of these medications that can provide a medical benefit but also pose risks.
Medicare Helps Seniors Use Opioids Safely | Commentary by Greg Dill
To honor California State University, Northridge alumna Virginia Orndorff and her passion of the arts, her husband Chris Orndorff donated $218,000 to create an endowment for art student scholarships.
CSUN Gifted with $218K to Create Endowment for Art Scholarships
Deputies Respond to Report of Attack at Sierra Vista Junior High
The College of the Canyons men's and women’s soccer programs are inviting boys and girls in kindergarten through eighth grade to participate in the 2019 Youth Summer Soccer Camp, with two sessions running this summer.
Registration for COC Youth Summer Soccer Camps Now Open
SACRAMENTO – With summer around the corner, Memorial Day weekend traffic will likely increase on California roadways.
CHP Focusing on Seat Belt Usage Ahead of Memorial Day Weekend
Waste Management’s service for residential trash, recycling, and green waste pick-up, as well as commercial service will be delayed by one day throughout the week of May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.
Waste Management Delays Services by 1 Day in Observance of Memorial Day
Santa Clarita Valley Safe Rides hosted a reunion on Sunday for the volunteers who have served our community for the last 32 years.
Former Safe Rides Volunteers Share 32 Years of Memories
On Monday night, deputies detained a male juvenile from La Mesa Junior High on charges of criminal threats, after he allegedly made statements threatening violence against the school.
Student Detained on Alleged Criminal Threats Against La Mesa Junior High
SACRAMENTO — Caltrans has awarded $40.5 million to local agencies for transportation projects statewide. The grant money will be used for planning on projects that will reduce transportation-related greenhouse gas emissions and the impacts of climate change.
Caltrans Awards $40.5M to Local Agencies for Statewide Transportation Projects
1978 - St. Francis Dam site becomes a State Landmark [story]
state landmark dedication
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce has expressed its support for the proposed Jobs Creation Overlay Zone to be considered by the Santa Clarita Planning Commission at City Hall on Tuesday, May 21.
SCV Chamber Supports City’s Proposed Jobs Creation Overlay Zone
The Saugus Band and Color Guard will stage a fundraising event at Chipotle in Valencia on Tuesday, May 21 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
May 21: Saugus Band, Color Guard Fundraiser at Chipotle
The Lancaster JetHawks played a season-high 14 innings but went hitless during the extra frames in a 4-3 loss to the Visalia Rawhide on Friday night at Recreation Ballpark.
JetHawks Opener Goes Season-High 14, Ends in Loss to Rawhide
Often what the retailer is most concerned about is location in the mall and how much the rent is. Some do not bother to read the 100-page or longer leases before signing them. Later they get some very unpleasant surprises.
Read Your Mall Lease, Or You’ll Be Sorry | Commentary by Carl Kanowsky, Esq.
The city of Santa Clarita, in partnership with Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, Frontier Toyota and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, will proudly sponsor the 2019 White Ribbon Campaign in the Santa Clarita Valley from Monday, May 27 through Friday, June 7.
May 27-June 7: White Ribbon Campaign to Promote Safe Student Driving
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva released a statement Friday night regarding the reinstatement of deputies who had been fired, a source of conflict with the county Board of Supervisors.
LA Sheriff Villanueva Defends Deputy Reinstatements
For the second year in a row, CalArts President Ravi S. Rajan has been recognized in the Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2019 LA500, LABJ’s annual list of LA County’s 500 most influential business leaders.
CalArts President Ravi S. Rajan Named to LA Business Journal’s 2019 LA500
California Insitute of the Arts in Valencia and California State University, Northridge in the San Fernando Valley are among the top U.S. film schools listed in Variety's "Best Film Schools for 2019" report.
CalArts, CSUN on Variety’s List of Best Film Schools for 2019
The College of the Canyons swim & dive program invites swimmers ages 8 to 18 to participate in the 2019 COC Swim Camp with two sessions running this summer in mid-June and late June.
Registration Now Open for COC Summer Swim Camp
Santa Clarita native Colton Herta is looking to add his name to the record books once again, this time at the 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 26.
Herta to Start 5th at Indy 500 on May 26
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies are looking for a man who allegedly exposed himself to a woman at a park in Towsley Canyon on Thursday, station officials reported Monday.
SCV Deputies Seek Man Suspected of Indecent Exposure
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has extended a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures for the Los Angeles County mountain areas through Thursday, May 23.
Cold Weather Alert for Mountain Areas Extended to Thursday
Hundreds of bystanders clapped and cheered as some of the world’s best cyclists pedaled off at the beginning of the final leg of the Amgen Tour of California cycle race in Santa Clarita on Saturday.
Amgen Tour of California Rolls Through Santa Clarita
California Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, honored The Brittany Foundation with his Non-Profit Appreciation Award during the Foundation's Annual Memorial event and Chili Cook-Off on Saturday.
Wilk Honors Brittany Foundation With Non-Profit Appreciation Award
The story of Mentryville, now a California State Historical Landmark, begins in 1876, when Charles Alexander Mentry drilled California’s first commercially viable oil well in Pico Canyon, named Pico No. 4, and a small town grew around the apparatus.
Mentryville, the SCV’s First Boom Town
A Castaic woman has been identified as the bicyclist who was killed by a street sweeper in Valencia early Sunday morning.
Castaic Woman Identified as Bicyclist Killed by Street Sweeper
After almost seven years in business, the Newhall Pharmacy on Main Street has had its pharmacy license pulled by state authorities who found the drug store, among other violations, selling heroin-like opioid drugs to people without a prescription.
Newhall Pharmacy Loses License for Opioid Sales Without Prescriptions
Blade Energy Partners has completed its independent analysis of the leak at Southern California Gas Company’s Aliso Canyon Natural Gas Storage Facility that began on October 23, 2015, and determined the rupture's cause was a corroded well casing.
Aliso Canyon Gas Leak Caused by Corroded Well Casing
Forty-five years ago, President Gerald Ford proclaimed the third full week of May as Emergency Medical Services Week in honor of those first responders who provide immediate lifesaving measures to those in need.
LASD Salutes First Responders in Emergency Medical Services Week