Intermittent clouds
Intermittent clouds

July 20
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]

[DMV] – After engaging in more than 80 public outreach events across the state, the California Department of Motor Vehicles provided a public update Friday on the status of AB 60 implementation, including plans for new field offices, additional staff and training, license design and regulations detailing documents required to prove identity and residence.

“We are making significant progress toward implementing Assembly Bill 60 by January 1, 2015, for the benefit of all motorists in California,” said DMV Director Jean Shiomoto.”We are hiring new staff, organizing department-wide training, and opening new temporary offices with extra appointment opportunities.”

Since Gov. Edmund G. Brown, Jr. signed the bill in October 2013, DMV has been working on multiple fronts towards the implementation of AB 60 by January 1, 2015.

dmv_newsDMV anticipates processing roughly 1.4 million new driver licenses during the first three years of implementation. To continue providing excellent customer service to all Californians, DMV has hired 405 new employees to date and is on target to hire approximately 500 more by December 31, 2014. Four temporary field offices in Lompoc, Stanton, Granada Hills and San Jose are on scheduled to open by January 1, 2015.

DMV is also working with the California Highway Patrol to provide information to law enforcement about the new law, including the prohibition on discrimination based on having an AB 60 license. And just this week, the Department of Homeland Security notified DMV that California’s draft AB 60 license design “would satisfy the requirement that a noncompliant license clearly state on its face and in the machine readable zone that is not acceptable for official purposes.” The licenses will state that “federal limits apply.” This information allows DMV to move forward with the vendor to produce new licenses.

Meanwhile, DMV is making progress on finalizing regulations that detail the documents an applicant must provide to prove identity and residency. DMV has held four public hearings across California and reviewed thousands of public comments and valuable input from the community. DMV has incorporated this feedback and is preparing final revisions and offer 15-days of additional public comment before final approval by the Office of Administrative Law.

In addition to the public comment on the regulations, DMV has held over 80 outreach events throughout the state to notify communities about AB 60 and emphasize the importance of studying for the driver license knowledge exam early. On average, each of these events have had 200 participants and involved cooperation with foreign consulate offices, community and church organizations, law enforcement and other local officials. At these outreach events, DMV explains licensing requirements under the new law and provides tips on how to study for the driver license knowledge exam.

Various Spanish-language networks have also invited DMV to participate in live programs during November to answer questions about AB 60. DMV also continues to present weekly segments on morning newscasts on KMEX 34 (Univision) Los Angeles and KUVS 19 (Univision) in Sacramento. Regular DMV public education messages also air on Spanish language radio stations across California. DMV is also doing outreach with fact sheets in Arabic, Armenian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Portuguese, Punjabi, Tagalog, Russian, and Vietnamese; along with providing news releases to media that provide information in these languages.

The fee for an AB 60 license will be $33, the same fee for a driver license today. For more information on AB 60 and continued updates on the regulations and other issues, visit: AB60.dmv.ca.gov.

1. wait…people that aren’t here legally can drive legally?

2. Mike Lange Mike Lange says:

That’s right, and we will hire extra help and open additional offices to accommodate them as well.

3. oh good…I was concerned how those ILLEGALS would be accommodated!!

4. Kelly Robins Kelly Robins says:

ILLEGAL MEANS NOT LEGAL! Which means AGAINST the law!

5. Ahh so cool.

What’s the point of having laws and processes in this country? We reward criminals and make hardworking citizens bend over to take it up the ass and pay for schooling, medical, police and fire protection for them and their children. Then we get some speech about how we should feel guilty for not accepting another country’s burden. students are told they can’t wear patriotic shirts to school because other kids will find it offensive and we’re supposed to be happy about them having a driver’s license, wtf? How long is it before they’re allowed to vote?that’s basically a liberals wet dream. EBT and driver licenses in exchange for votes…ftw

6. Add the cost of all the temp offices and staff to work them to how much criminal aliens benefit our economy

7. Juan Chavez Juan Chavez says:

Its more money for the government, now that they can legally drive.

8. Has Sacramento not seen the hours long line that wraps around the Newhall DMV every business day? We need a bigger office and more personnel.

• I can drive to Simi and be back before I would be out of that line.

• I know, right?!? I was just there and it was crazy!! I would’ve went to Simi where it’s much nicer but my tags were late and this was my last weekday I’ll have off for a while.

• Michael Teh Michael Teh says:

Half the people outside newhall DMV doesn’t even look like they should be driving. Only one DMV in the whole Santa Clarita? Wtf?

• I was just there and I waited like 2 hours

• Exactly! Sacramento knows hundreds if not thousands of people come to California to live here permanently EVERY DAY. The population is constantly going up and you know most will want to drive. Temporary offices and personnel will not cut it, there has to be a way to let the DMV know we either need a bigger office and more personnel or a second permanent office to accommodate Santa Clarita residents and the spill over we get from the San Fernando Valley.

9. Juan Chavez Juan Chavez says:

And how are they criminals in the first place .?

• Did you know there is a boarder?

• Linda Lee Linda Lee says:

They are criminals because they are here illegally which means they are not in compliance with the law. And when you are not in compliance with the law you are committing a criminal offense.

• So sad that people to come from another country trying to give a better future to their families, receive the name of criminals :(… They are hard workers, and that is a terrible lie around that they get everything for free, that’s is not true..We wish you never have to run away from your country escaping from violence, poverty, no opportunities at all to have a better future…

• If I ever do have to run to another country, I’ll be sure to become a legal citizen instead of leeching off of the taxpayers.

• @Joseph Rankin I wish u n your family good but believe you have no idea what migrants like me had to go true all of u are little brats u hate everything about your own country complain about everything you have n don’t have

• Linda Lee Linda Lee says:

Margarita Bonilla. Thanks for calling me a brat when not knowing me. If you hate the REAL American people so much maybe you should not be here. Why not try and do things legally. I know plenty of people who have. There is a reason we have a system. I don’t care about you coming here as long as it’s legal. I don’t care what your escaping or how bad it is. If you are here illegally you do not deserve privileges such as a drivers license or food stamps. You are breaking the law by being here.

• Margarita, if you don’t like the people here, you are welcome to go to another country. We are simply a little annoyed when people show up at our border, refuse to obey our laws, and still expect us to support them.

10. jim soliz says:

I wonder how DMV Staff will deal with Anti Immigration protesters?

11. Do they even need to know how to read English? Or just free licenses for everyone!

• The DMV has all their materials written in Spanish to acomodate illegals, how much money they spent on printing? .I went there and all the booklets were in Spanish, I had to go to the window to request in English

12. Karina Diaz Karina Diaz says:

Sure sure let’s not pay attention to the fact that’s it’s creating jobs, let’s just be judgemental right?

13. jim soliz says:

I have to wonder as to how the Department of Motor Vehicles will respond to Anti Immigration protesters, such as those who last made their appearance Murrieta, California?

14. Juan Chavez Juan Chavez says:

It creates more jobs. And this is why I ment ignorant^^^
    Lol

15. Juan Chavez Juan Chavez says:

Everyone needs to stop beign so butthurt. Js

16. Kinda crazy how we sit here and call people “illegal aliens.” Just cuz most people in Valencia are privileged white people, they think that giving others the right to drive will have a direct impact on their life. Hmmmm….

• Driving is a privilege, not a right. And even then, for the politicians up in Sacramento, it’s not about making sure more people are able to drive. It’s about raking in $$$ for the state and votes for the Democrats.

• It does have a direct impact when they drive without insurance and get into accidents and can’t be tracked down because they are illegal. Yes it happens. To ppl like me who follow all the rules and abide by the laws legally and get f%#ked by the ppl who aren’t legal.

• Michelle, you are simply making an assumption based on a stereotype that YOU have, not everyone. You basically just said “they” get into accidents and don’t have insurance. And you can’t possibly be telling me that you’ve never driven over the speed limit. That would fall under the category of “breaking a law” as far as I’m concerned. We all do it, so it is difficult for me to encompass a whole entire group of people into one based on one experience you had.

• And Joseph, my problem is just with the fact that we are currently living in the world in 2014, and we still call people “illegal aliens.” When will we try to understand one another and try to put ourselves in others’ shoes? Why limit the prosperity of a race or immigrant group when most of them (that I have encountered) work so much harder than the majority of “legal” citizens I know here. We’re all immigrants as far as I’m concerned unless you’re a Native American.

No, I am not an illegal immigrant. I was born in the United States, I’m white, and all I want is for people to stop putting blame on others when they truly can’t resonate with them. This is absolutely not true for every immigrant, but I hope you understand what I mean from a different perspective, that’s all.

• See, my problem is the fact that we are comparing people, who entered the country illegally, with people like my ancestors, who went through the citizenship process, and worked hard for a living, instead of simply supporting politicians who promise to give them free stuff. One of my ancestors worked as indentured servant to earn his citizenship.
      I, too, work with illegal aliens, and they do not work any harder than the legal citizens at my job.

17. Just as all the illegals got bussed here and given passports and social security numbers… which in case people were actually thinking more temp dmvs well those temp offices will be hiring only spanish speaking…im sure… think about everything we go thru and how much our taxes pay for already now we have somemore to pay out..I agree with shirley are we just going to hand them cars and insurance??? And have all of us that are legal pay for it with our hard earned money?? Im sorry they all should take classes to learn the english language before evem being able to get a license.. or a job. Soo we arent even going to be able to go to mcdonalds without having to speak a different language. .. and trust me im not the most privileged person but god damn… we have enough going on

18. Face the facts we are bicultural whether you like it or not …..El Pueblo de Nuestra señora reyna de Los Angeles. …..the town of our Lady queen of the angels. ……embrace beautiful culture. ..

19. I remember when illegal immigrants were deported. What the hell has happened to this country ive defended

20. Has Sacramento lost their mind? As a hardworking, tax paying citizen I spend countless hours on hold or in lines for government agencies such as the DMV. Now let me get this straight, we’re going to PAY for additional assistance to help illegal aliens get something their not entitled to in the first place! And the rest of us get the shaft? Our government needs to be overthrown!

21. Send them back to their home country with their Cracker Jack license!

• Whoooo… Somebody needs a “New Life” for sure!! Zechariah 7:9 Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, Execute [2] true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: 10 And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

• No judgement here. That’s the Lords job. As a concerned US citizen I fear for my country’s well being. My grandparents were immigrants and they came to this country legally, studying to be a US citizen, something to be proud of.

• Nowadays, the story will be different, if that people will have the opportunity to enter legal to this country, same as your grandparents did…huge difference

22. YOUR tax dollar$ at work!!!

23. They can’t have drivers training on Wednesdays where they come from. That day the donkey is used for the sex education class.

24. Todd Damann Todd Damann says:

We can all thank the uneducated voters aka “Donkey’s” who vote all the suck holes into office. The libs have ruined Cailf.

25. John Lazar John Lazar says:

Better stock up on some uninsured motorist insurance! This state gets more restarted by the minute.

26. These leftists and their constant whining about phrasing. Illegal alien is a technical term, not some kind of redneck slur. Every other country including Mexico doesn’t put up with this garbage, nor do they bend over backwards to accommodate people who break their laws. But as long as the Democrats see political opportunity in catering to these people and California keeps voting them in, nothing is going to change.

27. THERE GOES OUR FREEWAYS AND ROADS , WANT A LITTLE MORE CONGESTION? everybody will need over an hour extra to be on time .

28. Ready to pay more taxes ,so the city can keep up with road erosion, ? Also MANY illegals, ( few may not) when they run over people or cause any accident they do not stay they run away, they possible think the police will deport me, I hope you do not get in an accident with an illegal

29. Ready to pay more taxes ,so the city can keep up with road erosion, ? Also MANY illegals, ( few may not) when they run over people or cause any accident they do not stay they run away, they possible think the police will deport me, I hope you do not get in an accident with an illegal

30. Ed Halterman Ed Halterman says:

Heh, the dmv has the test in over 30 different languages.

31. Chad Goertz Chad Goertz says:

Mandarina, they receive the title of “criminal” when they break the “law.”

If I rob a bank, in order to give my family a better life, I don’t think anyone will be saying “it’s a shame they labeled him a criminal”.

32. Surprised they have to take a test everything else is pretty much given to them so why stop at this SMH!!!

33. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

It’s crazy how most of you would like the illegal to go back to their country, but have you ever thought who will pick your lettece, and all your fruits and veggies?? Because I have never seen any other race in those fields, or have you?? Let it go people be realistic. It’s better for you, if God forbid you had a car accident with someone who does not have insurance or/and a license that’s a big loss for you but this way it will be fair for both parties!!

34. Joel Samudio Joel Samudio says:

These illegal immigrants probably built their house too, I honestly believe that 80% of America was built by illegal immigrants, now why do you think that all the booklets at the D.M.V. are in Spanish, because they know that these people are important and needed. Last, about 5 years ago, a Mexican with no papers, no insurance crashed into us, my stepmom driving and me on the passenger side. He hit us and ran. They just need to be educated on insurance, laws here in the U.S., and yes maybe learn English(so they could defend themselves somewhat)

35. Omar Neri Omar Neri says:

Cheers to you Sandra Avila way to go!!! #ahuevo

Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.

More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream
The Sierra Hillbillies Square & Round Dance Club will throw a good old-fashioned picnic and dance to the calls of Jay Henderson at the SCV Senior Center on Sunday, August 5 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sierra Hillbillies Set 2 Dances for August, September
A Spring Valley, California woman was arrested and charged for evading and resisting arrest on southbound Interstate 5 in Valencia late Tuesday night after a pursuit by the California Highway Patrol, according to the CHP.
CHP Pursuit Ends With Arrest of Woman on I-5 in Valencia
If you are a member of the U.S. House of Representatives with a private prison in your district, you are also more likely than your peers to co-sponsor punitive immigration legislation, according to a groundbreaking study by California State University, Northridge political science professor Jason Morin.
CSUN Study: Private Prison Operators Influencing Immigration Policy
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies handed out 25 traffic citations during a motorcycle safety enforcement operation in Santa Clarita on Saturday.
SCV Deputies Hand Out 25 Traffic Tickets in Safety Push
A Santa Clarita bank robbery suspect dubbed by the FBI as the "Faux Badge Bandit" is now also suspected of robbing banks in Northern California, according to authorities.
‘Faux Badge Bandit’ Also a Suspect in NoCal Bank Heists
A Ninth Circuit panel on Tuesday affirmed a federal judge’s order preliminarily barring California from enforcing a voter-approved ban on high-capacity gun magazines.
Ninth Circuit Upholds Block of California Gun Magazine Ban
The California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers customers a convenient way to complete a driver license or identification card application online before visiting a field office.
DMV Debuts Online Application for Driver License, State ID Card
2009 - Two killed in crash of experimental plane in Sand Canyon [NTSB report]
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Casts Lone Vote Against Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness