Community members are invited to enjoy the fall season by participating in engaging, interactive, free programming offered at all Santa Clarita Public Library branches. In the spirit of the Halloween season, the Library will host a variety of hero-themed events including:
• Superhero Yourself – On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., the Valencia branch invites kids 4th grade and up to create crafts and enjoy fictional and nonfiction superhero stories inspired by Marvel and historical characters. Registration is requested for this free event at SantaClaritaLibrary.com.
• “Who’s Your Hero” Costume Party – On Thursday, October 23, 2014 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., preschoolers and school-age children are invited to enjoy a costume party at the Old Town Newhall branch. Attendees are encouraged to dress up as their favorite hero from history, a book, or a movie for the party, where they can challenge themselves in an exciting obstacle course and make their own superhero mask.
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Bash – On Friday, October 24, 2014, from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall branch, school age children are invited to hone their ninja skills and master the Library’s obstacle course in the spirit of heroes in a half shell!
In addition to themed activities, the Library will also offer the following free programs this month:
• Teen Advisory Board – The Valencia Library branch welcomes teens, grades 7-12, to participate in its all valley Teen Advisory Board (TAB), which will meet monthly on the first Tuesday of every month, beginning October 7, 2014 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Teen board members offer input on teen services impacting all branches of the library, contribute to outreach opportunities, and more.
After attending three meetings, TAB members are eligible to earn service hours. For more information contact Karen Cruze at email@example.com.
• Database Smarts for Kids and their Parents – The Santa Clarita Public Library offers a variety of databases with thousands of common core-aligned resources to help with everything from reports and math homework to learning a new language. Elementary age students and parents are invited to learn about digital library resources accessible from home at the Library’s digital resources. Class offered Saturday, October 11 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Thursday, October 16 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Valencia Library branch. The class is interactive and offers a chance to explore the database on the Library’s computers.
October will be a busy month for the Santa Clarita Public Library. Get more information about themed programs and activities for tweens, teens and adults taking place this month on the Santa Clarita Public Library’s website at SantaClaritaLibrary.com.