Cloudy
Cloudy

April 25
1891 - President Benjamin Harrison stops at Saugus Depot, dines at Tolfree's Saugus Eating House [story]

| Thursday, Oct 23, 2014

The following letter was sent to parents of Valencia High School students Thursday afternoon in regards to a physical fight involving several Hart District students on Friday, October 17, 2014.

Dear VHS parents,

We are aware of many rumors currently circulating following the fight that happened on Friday evening.

Valencia High School, with support of the Hart School District, is taking this situation very seriously and the safety of our students continues to be our top priority. Social media has seen many posts that reflect only a small portion of the entire story.

Any time a conflict arises between students on a campus, an investigation is initiated immediately. In a case such as the fight that occurred on October 17, 2014, the school was alerted to the fight and began taking statements the morning of Monday October 20, 2014. At this time, 21 written incident statements have been garnered. Multiple interviews have been conducted. Additional video footage has been recovered. The video footage is approximately 3.45 minutes in length as opposed to the snippet that has been circulating on the internet. The snippet shows a very narrow view of one segment of a complex altercation that started at the beginning of the week of October 13, 2014. There were students involved from VHS as well as other local schools including at least one former student who is now an adult in the community.

The administrators of the other schools were contacted immediately as was law enforcement. The continued online postings have led to further investigation which is ongoing at this time.

Disciplinary action has been taken against seven students based on the evidence of their actions which violated board policy and education code. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibits the school or District from disclosing specific information about any student and his or her disciplinary actions, so while the community may not be privy to the actions being taken by the school, we would like to assure everyone that action is being taken.

Also, it is important to note that education code dictates the maximum level of discipline that may be issued to students based on the severity of the infraction along with other factors including the disciplinary history of each individual student. Discipline is not arbitrary and cannot be assigned without a full investigation and supporting evidence.

We hope the community will support our school and the District as we work together to provide safe learning environments for all of our students.

Thank you.

John Costanzo
Principal
Valencia High School

1. Jennifer Rodriguez Maloof

2. Zero tolerance is zero tolerance. Don’t make excuses to spare your athletes the consequences of their actions. Teach them to stand accountable instead of creating athletes with a history of violence. NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB already have enough people acting out in domestic violence. Let’s not teach our kids they are above everyone else because they are “star athletes”

3. “Complicated” and “confidential” are code words for victim blaming and whitewash.

4. Faith Enad Faith Enad says:

Hallelujah Melissa! I agree!!

5. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Wow! Just Wow!!!
    They should be off the team ! And punished.

6. How much more evidence is needed. It’s was all recorded. Those guys are beating up the victim!!!!

7. One little snippet of video does not tell the whole story. Let the district and law enforcement investigate all the angles. Stop jumping to conclusions if you don’t know ALL the facts!

8. Wayne Wolven Wayne Wolven says:

All Bull. I smell cover up!

9. Wayne Wolven Wayne Wolven says:

All Bull. I smell cover up!

10. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

It’s interesting how zero tolerance is used when its convenient.

11. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

It’s interesting how zero tolerance is used when its convenient.

12. These poor kids must suffer from affluenza…it’s not their fault!!

13. These poor kids must suffer from affluenza…it’s not their fault!!

14. This story made it to the UK’s Daily Mail.

15. This story made it to the UK’s Daily Mail.

16. Tami Marie Tami Marie says:

Let me see if I understand this, he states the video is longer then what the “public” has seen, so the victim did something to deserve this? Why even say this? Ridiculous.

17. Tami Marie Tami Marie says:

18. David Potter David Potter says:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

19. David Potter David Potter says:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

20. The mistake made by the district and the school was not immediately advising there was a situation and it is under investigation. Anything beyond that is confidential as these are minors.

21. The mistake made by the district and the school was not immediately advising there was a situation and it is under investigation. Anything beyond that is confidential as these are minors.

• Exactly right! Had there been a statement or some type of notification of the incident right after it happened, this would not be nearly as big of an issue. Because they waited until it hit social media and the news, a lot of credibility and trust has been lost.

22. Ruth Rassool Ruth Rassool says:

This letter says nothing

23. Ruth Rassool Ruth Rassool says:

This letter says nothing

24. Cody Kennedy well said, again!!

25. Cody Kennedy well said, again!!

26. What a great way to pretend that you’re doing something while doing literally nothing to punish the perpetrators.

27. What a great way to pretend that you’re doing something while doing literally nothing to punish the perpetrators.

28. Really? I saw this on the news this morning AND I AM TOTALLY APPALLED BY THE ACTIONS, OR LACK THEREOF, OF THE DISTRICT. Are you kidding me?? How is 7 vs. 1 fair??? And all they have to say is “he wasn’t seriously injured”. THIS IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM THAT WE FACE TODAY. Athletes of “extraordinary caliber” are being EXCUSED in their academic work AND NOW THEIR PUBLIC BEHAVIOR? This is an absolute travesty and it disgusts me that people as high in power as the DISTRICT are “dragging their feet” in punishing these boys. The evidence is all over social media. How much longer do you need for you to decide that what those boys did was totally immoral and worthy of LEGAL ACTION. I think that as adult role models,(teachers, superintendents or what have you) you need to set a better example. One that suggests that being first string on an athletic team should NEVER mean that you get a pass that says you are untouchable(whether in your academics or in your social life) and can do whatever you feel is appropriate. I want these boys kicked off of this team and I want them in a court of law. I have seen too many athletes get off scot-free in absolutely horrendous incidents that I know very well they were responsible for and this needs to end NOW.

29. Really? I saw this on the news this morning AND I AM TOTALLY APPALLED BY THE ACTIONS, OR LACK THEREOF, OF THE DISTRICT. Are you kidding me?? How is 7 vs. 1 fair??? And all they have to say is “he wasn’t seriously injured”. THIS IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM THAT WE FACE TODAY. Athletes of “extraordinary caliber” are being EXCUSED in their academic work AND NOW THEIR PUBLIC BEHAVIOR? This is an absolute travesty and it disgusts me that people as high in power as the DISTRICT are “dragging their feet” in punishing these boys. The evidence is all over social media. How much longer do you need for you to decide that what those boys did was totally immoral and worthy of LEGAL ACTION. I think that as adult role models,(teachers, superintendents or what have you) you need to set a better example. One that suggests that being first string on an athletic team should NEVER mean that you get a pass that says you are untouchable(whether in your academics or in your social life) and can do whatever you feel is appropriate. I want these boys kicked off of this team and I want them in a court of law. I have seen too many athletes get off scot-free in absolutely horrendous incidents that I know very well they were responsible for and this needs to end NOW.

• Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

It is only with the grace of God, @Kristy Dyana Gomez, that my son escaped serious injury. Anyone who sees the video has to know that they hurt my son and had intended to hurt him more than they ultimately did.

• Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

• They should be kicked off the team and taken to court for assault and teach them they can’t do this
      Assault is punishable by law and civil courts handle the rest. Also same school if a restraining is put into place those kids won’t go to that school anymore the court will do what the school can’t or won’t

• Mr Maligaya I’m glad your son is going to be okay
      It could’ve been very bad he’s lucky

• I send my deepest condolences to you and your family, Mr. Maligaya- this was a travesty to our community. It’s kids like the ones who attacked your son who make my generation look like a bunch of juvenile delinquents and I am so so sorry.

• Very true .. If the parents wanted to I think they can sue the school for lack security at the school..

• Cole Bertz Cole Bertz says:

No they can’t Carlos Recinos schools are not mandated by the government to have security.

30. Megan Waters Megan Waters says:

Nicole Schalker-Graham

31. Megan Waters Megan Waters says:

Nicole Schalker-Graham

32. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Again, the kids should be off the team and punished. No excuse for what they did!

33. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

34. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

I hope the victims parents take legal action.

35. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

I hope the victims parents take legal action.

36. Teri Gaspar Teri Gaspar says:

Typical!! And everyone is saying such and such Tweeted etc… So… they are on video, boot them!!

37. Teri Gaspar Teri Gaspar says:

38. I’ve worked for Hart district for 4 years now and they take this stuff serious.they are a merit district so things will properly be taken care of. There’s lots the public doesn’t know because it’s confidential. People can go off what they see on social media n feel nothing is justified but understand that some info will not be released. I think it mentions that there were other instances the beginning of that week that went along with this story. Maybe the boy shown started problems with the others first. Who knows. Students got into a fight so disciplinary action will be taken. Either way the district will handle this in an ethical, moral way.

39. I’ve worked for Hart district for 4 years now and they take this stuff serious.they are a merit district so things will properly be taken care of. There’s lots the public doesn’t know because it’s confidential. People can go off what they see on social media n feel nothing is justified but understand that some info will not be released. I think it mentions that there were other instances the beginning of that week that went along with this story. Maybe the boy shown started problems with the others first. Who knows. Students got into a fight so disciplinary action will be taken. Either way the district will handle this in an ethical, moral way.

• Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

Kristen James My son absolutely did not start nor participate in any problem with the JV baseball team. That fateful night of the attack was even the first time he has even had any interaction (if you can call it that) with them most especially the attackers.

• Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

• And i don’t think it’s right for you to state that “maybe the boy shown or started the problems with others first” so you’re saying if you someone did something wrong you deserve to get beat up 7 against 1.. I don’t think you’ll be able to say this if this happen to your love one especially to ur son or daughter..

• Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

Mr. Maligaya please answer the question “why was your son on campus at eleven pm”?, other than to cause trouble. You continually state he happened to be in the wrong place but in fact he chose to return to the school after being kicked out by security earlier in the night to pick a fight and can’t deal with outcome. The baseball players were there cleaning the field after the game. Video shows that your son was one of the many persons involved in starting to altercation. Denial of the facts and continually stating your son’s innocence does not make it true.

40. Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

It’s easy to declare that there is a 3:45 video. It is easy to even show one. But even if this 3:45 video has 3 min of footage before the BRUTAL 45 sec “4 maybe 6 against 1” assault, there will be no other student from VHS or any other local school nor an adult in that footage. Only the victim and his 2 friends and the whole JV baseball team, one of whom was somehow ready to film the incident.

41. Jun Maligaya Jun Maligaya says:

42. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Kristen it does not warrant multiple kids on one. The kids do not belong on the team and I hope the parent of the kid who is by himself press charges . Disgusting and I can not believe you would defend it. Gross!!!

43. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

44. I do not think we, the public now the WHOLE story. I will admit, at least this time it isn’t GVHS getting bashed.

45. I do not think we, the public now the WHOLE story. I will admit, at least this time it isn’t GVHS getting bashed.

46. It’s all over the news too late hart district I’m glad everyone knows how good they’re covering up their trash

47. It’s all over the news too late hart district I’m glad everyone knows how good they’re covering up their trash

48. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

They only talking about taking action now because it hit the news.

49. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

They only talking about taking action now because it hit the news.

50. msc545 says:

Costanzo’s letter says absolutely nothing of substance other than to state there is a “longer video” that the school has presumably seen, and based on that the assailants will get suspended for a few days, if the kid that goes to the school is correct, which I think he is.

Kids who work hard in class and get good grades get nothing; kids who are good at swinging a bat or throwing a ball somehow become heroes. Something is really wrong here.

51. Margarita Bonilla, you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

52. Margarita Bonilla, you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

53. I’m sorry for your son. I was just stating to ppl here that the district will handle the situation

54. I’m sorry for your son. I was just stating to ppl here that the district will handle the situation

55. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Really? And you believe this?? It’s been a week!!

56. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Really? And you believe this?? It’s been a week!!

57. I never once said that anyone deserves to be beaten up. Wow. Some ppl here are taking what I said outta context. I’m saying…
    There are details public won’t know because it’s not stated publicly (like the problem overall being started)
    There’s confidentiality involved.
    The district will handle the situation.
    That’s all.

58. And Kim Canaan I’m not warranting or defending anyone beating up ppl. Read it slower. Or my comment above.

59. Exactly Sarah Shemanski-Davidson

60. Well I’m telling you what I mean. If you misinterpreted it that’s not my fault

61. This is why if I have any problems when my daughter starts high school, she will fight back and I will go after the parents.

62. Lorena Diana Lorena Diana says:

Sad that our school district does little or nothing in these situations. The new principal of Valencia High School walked into a nightmare situation with this high school…good luck Mr. Costanzo….but this would be a great place to start cutting the BS at this school….this is exactly why we left…put your foot down VHS and stop making the victim prove the crime and get rid of these punks! Just disgusting to me!

• Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

Lorena Diana Shame on you. You are making irresponsible statements about a situation in which you lack full information and details. These are children that have been classmates here in Valencia for years they are good kids and you call them punks. Name calling and assumptions about character is never appropriate and you should be ashamed of yourself. You would not be pleased if the situation were reversed and this was being said about your daughter or a team of which she was a member. You are an adult, and you owe the boys of the Valencia baseball team an apology for your poor judgement in commenting as you have.

• Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

63. Teri Cuadros Teri Cuadros says:

My question is if they have obtained video of a three almost four minutes of argument and altercation where the heck was campus security or adults supervising during this three or four MINUTES. I see car’s parked on the basketball court where the fight takes place. those aren’t parking spaces so who’s car are they employees of Valencia high or who. Where was the supervision that’s my concern are our children not safe attending these paid event’s the school is hosting. I’m upset that athletes would do such a thing and still be aloud on the team but I’m most upset at Valencia high for not keeping these kids safe on there campus

64. I took my son out of Hart schools. Their m o is do nothing you have to call Gloria Allred hard to subject your child to the press.

65. Chuck Nelson Chuck Nelson says:

Funny how times change when we were in school years ago there were fights I never saw one with more than two guys and the next day the vice principal took care of it if it was on school property.Never saw different kids from other schools fight just did not happen.i hope your son was not involved

66. Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

67. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Scott, again. More than one on one. Stop making excueses. There are none. Your child must be one of the kids who can’t go one on one. Needs help. Again charges need to be filed and kids needs to be off the team. No excuse.

68. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

Team sports are for the field. Keep it there. Not for jumping individuals!

69. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

The team owes an apology to the community. Who are you kidding Scott? Again one on one would be much different. Team sports are for the field, not jumping individuals. And you are an adult discipline your kid. Teach him right from wrong. By you justifing this ignorance shows were they’ve learned it.

70. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

• Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

Kim Canaan The school security cameras prove that there were many others involved in attacking the baseball team. The team had a reason to be there, the others had no legal reason to be on campus at 11 pm and I hope that they are prosecuted for trespassing among other offenses. These kids have tried to flip the script but it will not work the overwhelming evidence is in support of the baseball players. There have been four individuals suspended that were not baseball players, one person that was part of the group instigating the incident has been arrested due to them being over 18 (adult) and an additional person arrested for threats against the team. Ignorance is making comments when you lack the details to do so responsibly.

• Jeremy McRae Jeremy McRae says:

Still, that video shows nothing less than assault.

71. There’s no way my kids would go to Val or Rio Norte! This I knew since my kids were as young as 2years old…

72. Kim Canaan Kim Canaan says:

We shall see after the police do there investigation, rather than the parents Scott. Again if discipline is taught at home, one wouldn’t get involved. Obviously one of your kids are involved. Hopefully he’ll get some discipline, elsewhere. Maybe the authorities. He’s not learning at home. Again.. take a good look at the videos.

73. What a bunch of spoiled brats. They don’t care. They know mommy and daddy will get them out of trouble. Those little morons should be expelled and sent to a LA unified school. That way they can get their assessment kicked.

74. JFK says:

Mr. Maligaya, do not waste your time responding to Scott S. I agree with Kim C. — Scott must have a vested interest in protecting the nasty baseball thugs. What you do from here, you need to carefully evaluate. Your son won’t want more trouble and neither will you. It might be best to let this problem just go away from your family and pray that these kinds of incidents diminish in the future. Better to have peace than to attempt to achieve justice — only to find more hate come your way. I hope for the best for your family Mr. Maligaya.

75. Scott Shear Scott Shear says:

More of that same video but now with audio that shows the baseball players were attacked first and then defended themselves telling the others to get the F out of there

76. Bob Jones says:

Don’t follow the talk. Follow the action. The talk/words/policies/letters are the smoke. People get all caught up in the smoke and work themselves into a frenzy. We can determine the HS, District and law enforcement positions with confidence and certainty by looking at the action taken and the manner in which it was taken.

What we know: There are circumstances under which it is permissible for several students to attack, or attempt to attack, one or more other students. That has to be true because if it wasn’t there would have, at the very least, been immediate suspensions pending the investigation.

We also know that it takes many days to perform this type of investigation. This tells us that the rights of the attackers will be carefully, thoughtfully and thoroughly protected. Therefore, if in the future you plan to attack someone on the Valencia campus, you can be assured of due process.

We also know from the Signal news account that if you threaten to harm someone, consequences will be swift, certain, specific and immediately and clearly available to the public. If you ACTUALLY attack someone, consequences, if any, will be glacially slow and vague–buried beneath policies and perpetrators rights.

This tells us that threats are a considerable priority over actual violence. If the boys in the video had only threatened to do what they did, we now know the punishment would have been swift and specific.

77. Bob Jones says:

Thanks “govikings” for being, as far as I can tell, the only source of the other side of the story. For those who are frustrated by the apparent absence of any real discipline and wonder what happened to all the “anti-bullying” talk and school policies designed to prevent and remedy violence on campus, I offer the following:

Don’t follow the talk. Follow the action. The talk/words/policies are the smoke. People hear terms like “zero tolerance” and other policies and then get frustrated when the enforcement is weak or missing altogether. We can determine the HS, District and law enforcement positions with confidence and certainty by looking at the action taken and the manner in which it was taken.

We also know from this event that if you threaten to harm someone, action against you will be swift, certain, specific and immediately and clearly available to the public. If you ACTUALLY attack someone, action, if any, will be glacially slow and vague–buried beneath policies and perpetrators rights.

This tells us that threats are a considerable priority over actual violence for the administration of these various interrelated agencies. If the boys in the video had only threatened to do what they did, we now know the punishment would have been swift and specific.

78. That letter was written with legal counsel proof reading

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
City Council Appoints Phil Hart to Planning Commission
In a unanimous 4-0 vote Tuesday night, the Santa Clarita City Council appointed former Logix Federal Credit Union Chief Operating Officer and Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation board member Philip M. Hart to fill a position on the city's five-member Planning Commission.
Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
Wilk Animal Cruelty Intervention Act OK’d by Committee
The California Senate Committee on Public Safety voted 4-1 Tuesday to approve Senate Bill 1024, the Animal Cruelty and Violence Intervention Act of 2018, introduced by Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, as a way to address the undeniable link between animal abuse and violence towards humans.
Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
Knight Introduces Bill to Boost Energy Storage Development
Rep. Steve Knight (R-Antelope Valley) introduced H.R. 5610, the bipartisan Better Energy Storage Technology Act, on Wednesday, seeking to establish innovation goals to develop large-scale commercially viable energy storage technology.

College of the Canyons hit three home runs to power past Victor Valley College 10-2 on Tuesday, keeping the Cougars' conference championship hopes alive.
Cougars Power Past Victor Valley 10-2
College of the Canyons finished its conference schedule a perfect 16-0 by beating Barstow College 6-2 after 'Sophomore Day' ceremonies at Whitten Field.
Canyons Clinches Division Championship With 6-2 Win Over Barstow
College of the Canyons' men's golf team had all five players finish in the top-five of the individual standings on the way to a 35-stroke team victory at Western State Conference No. 10 on Monday at San Dimas Golf Course.
COC Men’s Golf Team Crushes Competition at WSC No. 10
The College of the Canyons Cougars closed out their three-game series with conference leader Glendale College, downing the Vaqueros 5-2 on Saturday to finish the weekend one game back with three to go.
Canyons Takes Series With 5-2 Win Over Glendale
The SCV Senior Center's Scholar Series will present a historical reenactment of American educator, author and journalist Laura Ingalls Wilder performed by Louise Willard of the American Association of University Women on Friday, April 27, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
April 27: Senior Center to Present Historical Reenactment of ‘Little House’ Author
City Council Appoints Phil Hart to Planning Commission
California State University, Northridge gender and women’s studies students and queer studies students will present their capstone research projects about the cultural aspects of sexuality and gender to students, faculty, staff and members of the community on Tuesday, May 1, and Wednesday, May 2, at the university.
May 1-2: CSUN 5th Annual ‘Sex in the Library’ Event
Wilk Animal Cruelty Intervention Act OK’d by Committee
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Foundation hosted a recognition and appreciation dinner on April 19 for the dedicated men and women who volunteer with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.
SCV Sheriff’s Foundation Honors Local Volunteers
Brandon Gold didn’t allow a run over seven innings, and the JetHawks hit two home runs to support him in a 9-3 win over the Visalia Rawhide on Tuesday night at Recreation Park.
Solid Gold Gets Third Win with Help from Bats
Knight Introduces Bill to Boost Energy Storage Development
Cannabis management officials from LA County and the city of LA offer advice to people seeking employment as retail cannabis budtenders.
Cannabis Officials Offer Job Tips for Aspiring Budtenders
An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on Highway 14 near Crown Valley Road in the Acton area Tuesday night.
Assailant Shoots at Arleta Man, Woman on Highway 14
Senate Bill 1409, which would update current law to streamline the production of industrial hemp in California, has been passed by the Senate Committee on Public Safety.
Wilk Industrial Hemp Bill Unanimously Passes Senate Committee
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital in Valencia has formed a new clinically integrated network — the Henry Mayo Care Network, LLC.
Henry Mayo Launches New Clinically Integrated Network
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's Engineering Committee will be holding a meeting, Thursday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m.
May 3: SCV Water’s Engineering Committee Meeting
Building on the success and excitement surrounding LA’s first-ever Arts Datathon in 2017, the LA County Arts Commission (LACAC) presents Arts Datathon: Collections, which aims to explore collections data as a way to increase access to the arts.
April 27: LA County Arts Datathon Collections
The 24 members of the West Ranch High School percussion Ensemble will forever be known as world champions as they took home the top prize at the Winter Guard International (WGI) World Championships in Dayton, Ohio, this past weekend.
West Ranch Percussion Ensemble Returns Home as World Champions
Launched Jan. 1, 2018, California’s newest water agency, SCV Water, is already making progress on commitments of enhanced efficiencies and financial savings.
May 15: VIA Luncheon to Highlight SCV Water Agency
The fourth annual Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) Future Jazz Master Scholarship was awarded to trumpeter and CalArtian Sara Sithi-Amnuai (Music MFA 19).
CalArts Student Awarded Jazz Master Scholarship
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN Baseball (17-22) opens up a road-heavy stretch over the last five weeks of the regular season on Tuesday evening. For the second time this month, the Matadors will head to Fresno State to start a seven-game road trip. A video stream will be available on the Mountain West Network at 6:05 p.m.
Matadors to Start 7-Game Road Trip
Santa Clarita Artists Association's new show, Colors of Spring, will open on May 4, with a free reception, from 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. The exhibit will run until June 24, 2018.
May 4: Opening of Santa Clarita Artists Association’s ‘Colors of Spring’
SUN VALLEY - Mission Valley Bancorp (OTCQX: MVLY) President & CEO Tamara Gurney announces year to date net income of $1,384,000 for the period ended March 31, 2018 – the strongest first quarter in the history of the company.
Mission Valley Bancorp Records Best-Ever 1st Quarter
Flair Cleaners, Southern California’s leading eco-friendly dry cleaners, will host the third annual Flair Cares Spring Food Drive, May 1 – May 31.
May 1-31: Flair Cleaners Annual Spring Food Drive
West Coast auto racing enthusiasts, “Fast & Furious” fans and family and friends of the late actor Paul Walker are gearing up for the inaugural In Memory of Paul Car Hangout, set for College of the Canyons in Valencia on Sunday, May 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
May 20:  In Memory of Paul Walker Inaugural Car Hangout
The Placerita Canyon Nature Center will be holding its annual Open House, Saturday, May 12, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
May 12: Placerita Canyon Nature Center Open House
BAKERSFIELD - College of the Canyons had a strong first-day showing at the Western State Conference (WSC) Swim & Dive Championships, with two of the men's relay teams performing strong enough to perhaps earn a trip to next month's state championship meet.
Cougars Head to Bakersfield after Strong WSC Showing
Santa Clarita Valley International, a free public charter school serving grades TK through 12, will host its annual “Expresstival” event, a celebration of student creativity, from 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Friday, April 27 at the school’s campus at 28060 Hasley Canyon Road in Castaic. This family-friendly event is free and open to the public.
April 27: Annual SCVi Charter’s ‘Expresstival’
Here is the Community Newhall (Zone 6) Crime Information & Public Safety Report for April 9 - 15:
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft, Vehicle Burglary in Newhall
This year’s Coachella Valley Music Festival started out on a sour note for 135 concertgoers who received misdemeanor citations for fraudulently using disabled person parking placards.
DMV Issues More than 150 Disabled Parking Citations at Coachella
1962 - SCV residents vote to connect to State Water Project, creating CLWA [story]
Applications are now open for the summer 2018 LA County Arts Internship Program, which will provide 179 university and community college students with paid on-the-job experience at more than 100 arts organizations across LA County this summer.
County Expands Summer Arts Internships for College Students
The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner has identified the man killed in a solo crash on Sierra Highway between Santa Clarita and Agua Dulce early Sunday morning as Brandon Scott Isaman, 31, of Palmdale.
Coroner ID’s Palmdale Man Killed in Solo Crash
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a Pine Mountain man on weapons and drug charges Thursday, an out-of-town resident for alleged possession of methamphetamine and a zip gun Friday night, and two locals for alleged possession of heroin for sale on Saturday morning.
SCV Crime Beat: Arrests for Heroin, Meth, Homemade Gun
With summer just around the corner, the city of Santa Clarita will hold a summer swim lesson assessment at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center, 20850 Centre Pointe Parkway, on Thursday, April 26, from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
April 26, May 5: City to Hold Summer Swim Lesson Assessments