Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

September 19
1863 - Gen. Edward F. Beale loans money to A.A. Hudson and Oliver P. Robbins to erect toll house in Newhall Pass [story]

sheriffpatch[KHTS] – Two people were arrested Thursday after Santa Clarita residents complained about alleged illegal door-to-door sales.

A man, whose identity was not immediately available, and Jessica Broabnax, 28, of Las Vegas, were arrested by deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station’s Crime Impact Team, or CIT, following numerous Santa Clarita residents complaints about door-to-door salesmen being aggressive while selling cleaning products.

The suspects allegedly became aggressive while trying to sell cleaning products to potential customers door-to-door in the Castaic, Saugus and Stevenson Ranch areas, Dubin said.

CIT deputies, a city-funded specialized team that addresses city residents’ concerns, quality-of-life issues and other crimes in the community, made the arrests after investigating complaints posted on Facebook, as well as calls to the station.

The male suspect was arrested, given a ticket with a court date and released for a charge of soliciting door-to-door without a license, a misdemeanor charge.

Broabnax was cited and then taken into custody for an outstanding warrant in connection with a prostitution charge in Orange County, according to Sheriff’s Department officials.

The post on Facebook, which was also shared from Nextdoor, described a pushy salesman who was selling a “magic cleaner.”

Deputies believe the company is from out of the area.

There are not believed to be any other crimes connected to the group of salespeople, however, deputies are aware of the situation and monitoring it, officials said.

“We’re advising residents that if these people come to the door and get aggressive that you immediately call the Sheriff’s Station at 661-255-1121,” Dubin said.

Aggressive door-to-door sales is a violation of Santa Clarita municipal code 11.37.020, Dubin said.

Broabnax is currently being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, although she’s expected to be transferred into custody of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

1. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

2. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

3. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

4. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

5. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

6. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

7. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

The black male walked up to my car today and sprayed a stain in my trunk carpet to show me how ot works. It didn’t work.. yesterday my dad said a female came to my house twice! Are these the same people?? This was in canyon country.

8. Yvette Cady Yvette Cady says:

A black male came to my door but I never answered. Told me through the window about a product. Turned him away. Scary if this was him.

9. Right on! This is why I don’t answer my door.

10. Crime. . Hahaha. . Aggressive door to door salesman is a crime. . There is even a penal code for it.. cmon. Scv.. Really. . Kids are on herion.. and soccer moms sell it.. but people are getting arrested for aggressive door to door sales. . WOW..

• It was a crime. As the story said it was illegal. There are lots of door to door salespersons but something was different about this and so he was arrested

• Also the fact that they are being aggressive and pushy…..it’s not ok for them to do what they were doing and making the entire town feel unsafe to answer their doors. Especially for us women.

• What next, arrest the pushy salesman at the insurance company or car lot? Grow a pair people and learn to say no, no ones attacking anyone so stop acting like a victim, and saying “us women” Jillian just pushes the stereotype that women are helpless and afraid….

• Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

Nothing wrong with Door to Door sales, just get the proper permits. They could be Burglars acting as sales people.

• Call me paranoid but this people were up to no good

• Actually from what I read on the in search of group yesterday, these people are actually burglars. They are extremely pushy and aggressive ” sales people” it said in that they are allowed into the house and while they are there, one of them looks around the house while the other one is distracting the homeowner by showing them the product and when they leave they case the house and break in when they know that the house is empty. The sheriff station has admitted that they received the information on these two from that post Andy homeowners who were commenting on it. they then for safety reasons deleted the post because the homeowners were mentioning the streets they lived on.

• Is there a way of getting these pushy Solar sales people away from my neighborhood?

• CeeCi actually I am not afraid, I protect my self very well thank you very much. But I do have children who play outside with the neighborhood kids, and I know plenty of stay at home moms who would feel afraid being confronted by anyone in an aggressive manner. Wake up and realize not ever person you come across, you can trust. I’m so sick of people throwing the “stereotype” or “race” card out there. It’s the fact of the possibilities that “could” happen when confronted aggressively. Going to a car lot or at the insurance company like you’re suggesting, it’s a fact that they are going harass you and be aggressive in their sales. But when an unwelcome group is banging at your door that’s another story. No one is asking them to be there so yeah women AND men where concerned. In my opinion I am thankful for yesterday’s post alerting the community. If you’re not, then move out of Santa Clarita.

• Well i should have that guy at the Real Estate school arrested then. ..he keeps bugging me!

• Noel Nero Gregorio ????!

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

They came to my house, and they really wanted to know when my landlord was gonna be home and if she was gonna be home at NIGHT. They are trying to plot a burglary. Just because people are doing heroin doesn’t mean that people breaking into your house is any less of a charge. They could be stealing to pay for drugs, so in the long run it could be the same crime.

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

I’m pretty sure if someone was stealing from your house you would probably be ALOT more mad about that instead of some kid smoking some dope.

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

11. Stacy Soto Stacy Soto says:

They came around our neighborhood last week. Security stopped them and spoke with them then let them continue to knock on doors! Glad I didn’t answer the door.

12. What were they selling? To guys came to my door from a security comp. ADP I think. .. ..

13. “Oh My a Black Man” trying to be a salesman, instead of homeless! Someone call the police!

14. Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

15. Jamie Morris Jamie Morris says:

A third member of this group a tall male with graying hair was in the upper stevenson ranch neighborhood last night

16. That Guy came to my house yesterday! Persistent but not aggressive.

17. Actually from what I read on the in search of group yesterday, these people are actually burglars. They are extremely pushy and aggressive ” sales people” Who are supposedly selling a green cleaning product”. It said in that they are allowed into the house and while they are there, one of them looks around the house while the other one is distracting the homeowner by showing them the product and when they leave they case the house and break in when they know that the house is empty. The sheriff station has admitted that they received the information on these two from that post Andy homeowners who were commenting on it. they then for safety reasons deleted the post because the homeowners were mentioning the streets they lived on.

18. Good! She blatantly ignored my “no soliciting” sign and refused to take no for an answer. She finally left after I told her that I’d look up the company online and check it out. I wish they would make all door-to-door sales illegal, it’s getting ridiculous.

19. My dog would rip them to shreds.

20. Lisa Lisa Lisa Lisa says:

This is one of the reasons why we put up an electric gate at the end of our driveway!! Everyone who comes to our house must use the call box to get to us. If we don’t know you, BUH BYE!!! Best thing we ever invested money on.

21. It’s so irritating that so many people are “making fun” if this situation. I’m sorry, but I am very thankful for reading yesterday’s post! The community rallied together to PROTECT one another from possibilities that COULD have gotten out of hand. No one is saying it got that far, but no one has the right to tell others they are being ridiculous for being afraid or concerned!

22. Art Ruiz we really need a sign that says NO SOLICITING….The other day we had 2 sets of people coming to the house but I never answer the door.

23. Arrested for being Black Solicitors in Santa Clarita? Huh :/ Im confused! Did they hurt someone???

24. Escobar Alma Escobar Alma says:

Awsome just move here

25. Scott Swan Scott Swan says:

where the KKK is alive and well

26. Amy they got arrested after all!

27. Pat Spielman Pat Spielman says:

Keeping Santa Clarita safe from peddalers. Lets get those girl scouts selling cookies next

28. People need to grow up and stop playing the race. It is so immature of people playing the race card. It’s the same thing as lying and sterling. Their skin color is not the issue. Its their inappropriate aggressive behavior that is the issue. With the world of the internet what is the point of doing door to door sells? I do my sells on the internet.

29. Chris Torp Sylvia Torp-Lawton

30. They were up here in tehachapi a couple weeks ago the African American man came to my door an ran like hell when my Rottie stood up and growled at him. Everyone was complaining in the tehachapi crime page how pushy they were .” They were walking around with a spay bottle trying to clean stuff that didn’t work demanding cash only.

31. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

32. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

33. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

34. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

35. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

36. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

37. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

The guy came to our door Tuesday- he was not aggressive just very enthusiastic- I chatted with him for a minute at the door, declined his “miracle product” but gave him a very small donation for his “at risk youth” program. Even though he was friendly the interaction left me feeling unsettled the rest of the afternoon- I did wonder if he was part of a casing operation- and it seems that they were indeed up to no good. Thank you to the people who alerted the authorities.

38. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

39. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

40. I never answer the door unless I expect someone.

41. what the hell is going on at our city ??????????????

42. I’m sorry but not only this city all the world is so negative and this fragile racist people from this city come on! We are just people like anybody else so stop complaining and take care of your own ok !

43. Pretty sure they came here on Halloween, and broke into a neighbor’s garage!!

44. As I pointed out people use the race card because they don’t want to take responsibility for their actions or wrong doings pure and simple.

45. Aaron Reno- this is what I was talking about. A lady came to the door and was super rude and aggressive. I made it clear she better not come back- but looks like they found them.

46. A female came to our house too with a cleaning product! We also live in Canyon Country.. very obnoxious, loud, smacking her gum, kinda dancing around and pushy! We (my dog and I) met her half way up our driveway, we live on a small flag lot, she asked a few questions about my dog, is she nice, what’s her name…boy, she’s a big dog she said! I said she’s NOT nice and did not tell her my dogs name…were always on our guard with these people, especially living back on a flag lot! I hope they caught them!

47. A female came to our house too with a cleaning product! We also live in Canyon Country.. very obnoxious, loud, smacking her gum, kinda dancing around and pushy! We (my dog and I) met her half way up our driveway, we live on a small flag lot, she asked a few questions about my dog, is she nice, what’s her name…boy, she’s a big dog she said! I said she’s NOT nice and did not tell her my dogs name…were always on our guard with these people, especially living back on a flag lot! I hope they caught them!

48. KT Rhodes says:

The female came to my home in Canyon Country. She seemed friendly enough, although much more aggressive than most. I kind of felt sorry for her so I gave her a few minutes to get through her spiel outside. She tried her product on the car headlights and semi-cleaned it. She tried to remove permanent marker from a rag and FAIL! I kind of chuckled which flustered her. Then, she freaked me out when she actually consumed some of the cleaner to prove it was all natural and organic! I cut to the chase and asked her how much. She didn’t tell me but pointed to the bottle. $40! I think not! I told her no thank you. Then she offered to sell me the half of a bottle she was demoing with for $20. I asked for the website because this smelled fishy all around. She said she is an “independent contractor”and that if she gave it to me, she wouldn’t get the profit. I again said no thanks and wished her luck. Guess that luck ran out!

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
Sierra Vista Junior High School parents were notified Monday about an incident of a male suspect attempting to lure a student.
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Matthew L. Fielding, 25, of La Crescenta, was killed when his motorcycle collided with a car on Interstate 5 in the Newhall Pass on Sunday morning, according to the CHP.

Gibbon-Fest will take place Saturday, Oct. 13, from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., at the Gibbon Conservation Center, located at 19100 Esguerra Rd., Santa Clarita, 91390.
Oct. 13: Gibbon-Fest at Gibbon Conservation Center
The date has changed, but the SCV Senior Center's Touch-A-Truck event is still a landmark event for children and adults who are intrigued with vehicles of all sorts and uses.
Oct. 13: Touch-A-Truck Benefiting SCV Senior Center
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) meeting will be held Wednesday, Sept. 19, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sept. 19: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
BAKERSFIELD — College of the Canyons freshman Haruka Koda fired a round of 70 to earn medalist honors and lead the Lady Cougars to a third straight Western State Conference (WSC) tourney victory on Monday at Kern River Golf Club.
Lady Cougars Bring Home 3rd Straight Western State Conference Tourney Win
The William S. Hart Union High School District's Parent and Student Empowerment (PASE) program presents, "Every Life Matters," Preventing Suicide in Teens & Children.
Sept. 20: Hart District’s PASE Presents ‘Every Life Matters’; Preventing Teen Suicides
The Michael Hoefflin Foundation is looking for volunteers for its upcoming 25th Annual Evening Under the Stars Gala Dinner and Charity Auction.
Michael Hoefflin Foundation In Need of Volunteers for Annual Gala
NORTHRIDGE - Over 60 Matadors spanning three teams took part in the 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day on Saturday. The CSUN Women's Soccer, Women's Water Polo and Women's Tennis teams all participated in the worldwide event in effort to give back and beautify their community.
Dozens of Matadors Take Part in 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day
IRVINE - For the second time in three weeks, CSUN's Daniel Trejo and Henrik Regitnig have swept the weekly Big West Conference men's soccer honors as the Matadors climbed to 13th in the Top Drawer Soccer Top 25 poll.
Pair of Matadors Sweep Big West Conference Awards
The Sheila R. Veloz Breast Center, a service of Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, announces a very special “fun and fit” event at the Santa Clarita Athletic Club on Friday, Oct. 12.
Oct. 12: Ride for a Cure – Fight Breast Cancer with Janet Cheveres
Jonslist.org, a registered 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to protecting animals and the environment, is having the First Annual Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest Saturday, Oct. 27, from 9:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.
Oct. 27: Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest
Enhanced Landscape Management, the maintenance division of Landscape Development Inc. (LDI) with headquarters located in Valencia, Calif., has concluded the asset purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc. (CLI) in Santa Clarita, Calif.
Landscape Development Inc. Concludes Purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc.
California State University, Northridge’s psychology professor Luciana Lagana received the Best Political Statement award at the Hollywood Dreamz International Film Festival, as well as the Phoenix Body of Work award at the 2018 Action on Film International Film Festival, for writing, directing and producing the documentary “Off the Streets for Good.”
CSUN Professor’s Documentary on Homelessness Garners Awards
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Sept. 10 – Sept. 16, 2018.
‘Lethal Weapon,’ ‘NCIS,’ ‘Trading Spaces’ Now Filming in SCV
The happy men of the SCV Men of Harmony Chorus are now preparing for their 42nd Annual A-capella Show and Ice Cream Social.
Oct. 13: SCV Men of Harmony Chorus A-capella Show, Ice Cream Social
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
1962 - Articles of incorporation filed for Golden State Memorial Hospital on Lyons Avenue [story]
Dodger outfielder Yasiel Puig has been named the National League Player of the Week presented by W.B. Mason for the period ending Sept. 16, the team announced Monday.
Dodgers’ Yasiel Puig Named National League Player of the Week
Writer, photographer and former CalArts Critical Studies faculty Janet Sternburg will present her first solo U.S. museum show, titled 'LIMBUS,' at USC’s Fisher Museum of Art from Sept. 18 to Dec. 1.
Sept. 18: Janet Sternburg to Open ‘LIMBUS’ at USC’s Fisher Museum
CalArts acting student Pricilla Chung's Instagram account caught the eye of New York Magazine’s fashion blog The Cut, and editors invited her to NYC for a photo shoot and feature write-up.
CalArts Acting Student Pricilla Jin Chung Makes ‘The Cut’
For a team with goals that can't be reached until November, it's all about the progression from one meet to another right now for The Master's University men's cross country team.
TMU Men’s Cross Country Keeps Building Toward Goals
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has unveiled its fall programming lineup for both Los Angeles and New York.
‘Exorcist’ 45th Anniversary, ‘Christmas Story’ Top Fall Academy Screenings
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and her Trail Blazers will host her second annual trail ride at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas on Sunday, Oct. 21.
Oct. 21: Barger’s Trail Blazers to Ride at Bonelli Regional Park
Mikala Fairchild led all Mustangs women's cross country runners at Saturday's UC Riverside Invitational, finishing 21st overall in the 5,000-meter open race.
Fairchild, Ghiorso Lead the Way for TMU Women’s Cross Country
The TMU Mustangs men's soccer team beat No. 14 Marymount California University 3-1 at El Camino College in Torrance on Saturday.
Mangan Leads Mustangs Past No. 14 Marymount Cal
Senior Hailey Gomillion scored in the 105th minute to lift No. 24 TMU to a 1-0 win over Marymount California University.
Gomillion’s Goal Lifts TMU to Win in 105th Minute
The Master's University women's volleyball team completed a sweep of No. 7 Westmont College on Saturday, ending the Warriors' 32-match winning streak in conference play.
Master’s Snaps Westmont’s 32-Match GSAC Win Streak
The Salvation Army Santa Clarita Valley Corps proudly marched in this year’s Agua Dulce Country Fair Parade on Saturday, with Envoys Jerry and Laura Bloom and the Salvation Army Kettle Bug leading a group of lively volunteers down the parade route.
Salvation Army Joins March in Agua Dulce Parade
The William S. Hart Union High School District needs a new member of the Measure SA Citizens’ Oversight Committee.
Hart District Seeks Member for Measure SA Oversight Panel
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Michael Foley began serving as the Executive Director of Bridge to Home on Monday, Sept. 17.
Michael Foley is New Bridge to Home Exec Director
A woman who was barricaded in a Castaic apartment after allegedly firing a gun during a welfare check in Castaic Friday afternoon surrendered to authorities after several hours of negotiation.
Barricaded Woman Surrenders in Castaic
A coalition of 56 state attorneys general including California's sent a letter to the U.S. Congress Monday calling on lawmakers to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
State AG’s Urge Feds to Renew Violence Against Women Act
California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. joined Baden-Württemberg Minister-President Winfried Kretschmann Saturday to sign an agreement establishing a sister state relationship between California and Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
Brown Signs Sister State Agreement with Baden-Württemberg, Germany
1879 - First official Newhall School building erected near Walnut & Ninth streets [story]