Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

December 11
1922 - Piru bank robbed, banker and daughter kidnapped [story]

sheriffpatch[KHTS] – Two people were arrested Thursday after Santa Clarita residents complained about alleged illegal door-to-door sales.

A man, whose identity was not immediately available, and Jessica Broabnax, 28, of Las Vegas, were arrested by deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station’s Crime Impact Team, or CIT, following numerous Santa Clarita residents complaints about door-to-door salesmen being aggressive while selling cleaning products.

The suspects allegedly became aggressive while trying to sell cleaning products to potential customers door-to-door in the Castaic, Saugus and Stevenson Ranch areas, Dubin said.

CIT deputies, a city-funded specialized team that addresses city residents’ concerns, quality-of-life issues and other crimes in the community, made the arrests after investigating complaints posted on Facebook, as well as calls to the station.

The male suspect was arrested, given a ticket with a court date and released for a charge of soliciting door-to-door without a license, a misdemeanor charge.

Broabnax was cited and then taken into custody for an outstanding warrant in connection with a prostitution charge in Orange County, according to Sheriff’s Department officials.

The post on Facebook, which was also shared from Nextdoor, described a pushy salesman who was selling a “magic cleaner.”

Deputies believe the company is from out of the area.

There are not believed to be any other crimes connected to the group of salespeople, however, deputies are aware of the situation and monitoring it, officials said.

“We’re advising residents that if these people come to the door and get aggressive that you immediately call the Sheriff’s Station at 661-255-1121,” Dubin said.

Aggressive door-to-door sales is a violation of Santa Clarita municipal code 11.37.020, Dubin said.

Broabnax is currently being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, although she’s expected to be transferred into custody of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

1. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

2. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

3. Hahaha if it weren’t for all this CRIME I’d be homesick smh=)

4. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

5. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

6. Kyle West maybe it’s those people you were talking about

7. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

The black male walked up to my car today and sprayed a stain in my trunk carpet to show me how ot works. It didn’t work.. yesterday my dad said a female came to my house twice! Are these the same people?? This was in canyon country.

8. Yvette Cady Yvette Cady says:

A black male came to my door but I never answered. Told me through the window about a product. Turned him away. Scary if this was him.

9. Right on! This is why I don’t answer my door.

10. Crime. . Hahaha. . Aggressive door to door salesman is a crime. . There is even a penal code for it.. cmon. Scv.. Really. . Kids are on herion.. and soccer moms sell it.. but people are getting arrested for aggressive door to door sales. . WOW..

• It was a crime. As the story said it was illegal. There are lots of door to door salespersons but something was different about this and so he was arrested

• Also the fact that they are being aggressive and pushy…..it’s not ok for them to do what they were doing and making the entire town feel unsafe to answer their doors. Especially for us women.

• What next, arrest the pushy salesman at the insurance company or car lot? Grow a pair people and learn to say no, no ones attacking anyone so stop acting like a victim, and saying “us women” Jillian just pushes the stereotype that women are helpless and afraid….

• Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

Nothing wrong with Door to Door sales, just get the proper permits. They could be Burglars acting as sales people.

• Call me paranoid but this people were up to no good

• Actually from what I read on the in search of group yesterday, these people are actually burglars. They are extremely pushy and aggressive ” sales people” it said in that they are allowed into the house and while they are there, one of them looks around the house while the other one is distracting the homeowner by showing them the product and when they leave they case the house and break in when they know that the house is empty. The sheriff station has admitted that they received the information on these two from that post Andy homeowners who were commenting on it. they then for safety reasons deleted the post because the homeowners were mentioning the streets they lived on.

• Is there a way of getting these pushy Solar sales people away from my neighborhood?

• CeeCi actually I am not afraid, I protect my self very well thank you very much. But I do have children who play outside with the neighborhood kids, and I know plenty of stay at home moms who would feel afraid being confronted by anyone in an aggressive manner. Wake up and realize not ever person you come across, you can trust. I’m so sick of people throwing the “stereotype” or “race” card out there. It’s the fact of the possibilities that “could” happen when confronted aggressively. Going to a car lot or at the insurance company like you’re suggesting, it’s a fact that they are going harass you and be aggressive in their sales. But when an unwelcome group is banging at your door that’s another story. No one is asking them to be there so yeah women AND men where concerned. In my opinion I am thankful for yesterday’s post alerting the community. If you’re not, then move out of Santa Clarita.

• Well i should have that guy at the Real Estate school arrested then. ..he keeps bugging me!

• Noel Nero Gregorio ????!

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

They came to my house, and they really wanted to know when my landlord was gonna be home and if she was gonna be home at NIGHT. They are trying to plot a burglary. Just because people are doing heroin doesn’t mean that people breaking into your house is any less of a charge. They could be stealing to pay for drugs, so in the long run it could be the same crime.

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

I’m pretty sure if someone was stealing from your house you would probably be ALOT more mad about that instead of some kid smoking some dope.

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

• Kyle West Kyle West says:

11. Stacy Soto Stacy Soto says:

They came around our neighborhood last week. Security stopped them and spoke with them then let them continue to knock on doors! Glad I didn’t answer the door.

12. What were they selling? To guys came to my door from a security comp. ADP I think. .. ..

13. “Oh My a Black Man” trying to be a salesman, instead of homeless! Someone call the police!

14. Javier Garay Javier Garay says:

15. Jamie Morris Jamie Morris says:

A third member of this group a tall male with graying hair was in the upper stevenson ranch neighborhood last night

16. That Guy came to my house yesterday! Persistent but not aggressive.

17. Actually from what I read on the in search of group yesterday, these people are actually burglars. They are extremely pushy and aggressive ” sales people” Who are supposedly selling a green cleaning product”. It said in that they are allowed into the house and while they are there, one of them looks around the house while the other one is distracting the homeowner by showing them the product and when they leave they case the house and break in when they know that the house is empty. The sheriff station has admitted that they received the information on these two from that post Andy homeowners who were commenting on it. they then for safety reasons deleted the post because the homeowners were mentioning the streets they lived on.

18. Good! She blatantly ignored my “no soliciting” sign and refused to take no for an answer. She finally left after I told her that I’d look up the company online and check it out. I wish they would make all door-to-door sales illegal, it’s getting ridiculous.

19. My dog would rip them to shreds.

20. Lisa Lisa Lisa Lisa says:

This is one of the reasons why we put up an electric gate at the end of our driveway!! Everyone who comes to our house must use the call box to get to us. If we don’t know you, BUH BYE!!! Best thing we ever invested money on.

21. It’s so irritating that so many people are “making fun” if this situation. I’m sorry, but I am very thankful for reading yesterday’s post! The community rallied together to PROTECT one another from possibilities that COULD have gotten out of hand. No one is saying it got that far, but no one has the right to tell others they are being ridiculous for being afraid or concerned!

22. Art Ruiz we really need a sign that says NO SOLICITING….The other day we had 2 sets of people coming to the house but I never answer the door.

23. Arrested for being Black Solicitors in Santa Clarita? Huh :/ Im confused! Did they hurt someone???

24. Escobar Alma Escobar Alma says:

Awsome just move here

25. Scott Swan Scott Swan says:

where the KKK is alive and well

26. Amy they got arrested after all!

27. Pat Spielman Pat Spielman says:

Keeping Santa Clarita safe from peddalers. Lets get those girl scouts selling cookies next

28. People need to grow up and stop playing the race. It is so immature of people playing the race card. It’s the same thing as lying and sterling. Their skin color is not the issue. Its their inappropriate aggressive behavior that is the issue. With the world of the internet what is the point of doing door to door sells? I do my sells on the internet.

29. Chris Torp Sylvia Torp-Lawton

30. They were up here in tehachapi a couple weeks ago the African American man came to my door an ran like hell when my Rottie stood up and growled at him. Everyone was complaining in the tehachapi crime page how pushy they were .” They were walking around with a spay bottle trying to clean stuff that didn’t work demanding cash only.

31. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

32. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

33. Kyle West Kyle West says:

Haha! Andrew Gonzo Brent I bet it was them nice

34. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

35. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

36. Fukis Nall Fukis Nall says:

glad to see the police are doing there job.

37. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

The guy came to our door Tuesday- he was not aggressive just very enthusiastic- I chatted with him for a minute at the door, declined his “miracle product” but gave him a very small donation for his “at risk youth” program. Even though he was friendly the interaction left me feeling unsettled the rest of the afternoon- I did wonder if he was part of a casing operation- and it seems that they were indeed up to no good. Thank you to the people who alerted the authorities.

38. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

39. Andrea Evers Andrea Evers says:

40. I never answer the door unless I expect someone.

41. what the hell is going on at our city ??????????????

42. I’m sorry but not only this city all the world is so negative and this fragile racist people from this city come on! We are just people like anybody else so stop complaining and take care of your own ok !

43. Pretty sure they came here on Halloween, and broke into a neighbor’s garage!!

44. As I pointed out people use the race card because they don’t want to take responsibility for their actions or wrong doings pure and simple.

45. Aaron Reno- this is what I was talking about. A lady came to the door and was super rude and aggressive. I made it clear she better not come back- but looks like they found them.

46. A female came to our house too with a cleaning product! We also live in Canyon Country.. very obnoxious, loud, smacking her gum, kinda dancing around and pushy! We (my dog and I) met her half way up our driveway, we live on a small flag lot, she asked a few questions about my dog, is she nice, what’s her name…boy, she’s a big dog she said! I said she’s NOT nice and did not tell her my dogs name…were always on our guard with these people, especially living back on a flag lot! I hope they caught them!

47. A female came to our house too with a cleaning product! We also live in Canyon Country.. very obnoxious, loud, smacking her gum, kinda dancing around and pushy! We (my dog and I) met her half way up our driveway, we live on a small flag lot, she asked a few questions about my dog, is she nice, what’s her name…boy, she’s a big dog she said! I said she’s NOT nice and did not tell her my dogs name…were always on our guard with these people, especially living back on a flag lot! I hope they caught them!

48. KT Rhodes says:

The female came to my home in Canyon Country. She seemed friendly enough, although much more aggressive than most. I kind of felt sorry for her so I gave her a few minutes to get through her spiel outside. She tried her product on the car headlights and semi-cleaned it. She tried to remove permanent marker from a rag and FAIL! I kind of chuckled which flustered her. Then, she freaked me out when she actually consumed some of the cleaner to prove it was all natural and organic! I cut to the chase and asked her how much. She didn’t tell me but pointed to the bottle. $40! I think not! I told her no thank you. Then she offered to sell me the half of a bottle she was demoing with for $20. I asked for the website because this smelled fishy all around. She said she is an “independent contractor”and that if she gave it to me, she wouldn’t get the profit. I again said no thanks and wished her luck. Guess that luck ran out!

Monday, Dec 10, 2018
Wilk Intro’s Bill to Boost Transparency in High-Speed Rail, Other Agencies
Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, introduced Senate Bill 53 (SB 53), legislation that will strengthen transparency in state agencies and stop agencies like the California High-Speed Rail Authority from taking advantage of a loophole that allows them to hold closed-door meetings without public involvement.
Monday, Dec 10, 2018
Deputies Arrest 3 on Drug Charges at GV Park and Ride Lot
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station arrested a couple from Palmdale and a Simi Valley man on drug charges in the Park and Ride lot at Golden Valley Road off Highway 14 on Sunday, according to officials.
Monday, Dec 10, 2018
LASD, Coroner Investigating Human Skull, Remains Found in Newhall
Law enforcement and Coroner's officials discovered more human remains Saturday morning in the Santa Clara River bed in Newhall, near where a human skull was discovered Wednesday.

1922 - Piru bank robbed, banker and daughter kidnapped [story]
The county of Los Angeles officially filed a comment on Monday in opposition to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Citizenship and Immigration Services’ proposed “public charge” rule change.
LA County Opposes Feds’ Proposed ‘Public Charge’ Rule Change
The next regular-organizational meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Dec. 12, at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
Dec. 12: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The rhetoric of playing a full 40 minutes can easily overshadow the reality of a college team's effort.
Lady Mustangs Defend Their Way to Win Over Hawks
All things considered, the Mustangs could have found themselves in a worse position in the closing moments of Saturday's game in El Cajon.
No. 2 Mustangs Fall to San Diego Christian on Atencia’s Big Night
The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers (1-8; 1-0 Cal Pac) earned their initial win of the season with a 76-61 victory over the Golden Eagles of La Sierra University (2-8; 0-1 Cal Pac) on Saturday.
UAV Men’s Basketball Team Downs La Sierra 76-61 in Opener
The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers women's basketball team (8-2; 1-0 Cal Pac) routed the La Sierra University (3-9; 0-1 Cal Pac) Golden Eagles 106-46 in Saturday's intercollegiate California Pacific Conference women’s basketball action in Riverside.
UAV Women’s Basketball Team Routs La Sierra 106-46
The WiSH Education Foundation ends 2018 on a high note, having supported local public schools with more than $235,000.
WiSH Foundation 2018 Donations to SCV Schools Top $235K
The University of Antelope Valley is pleased to announce the hiring of Anthony Harris as its Director of Athletics.
Anthony Harris is New Athletics Director at UAV
The city of Santa Clarita will partner with the American Red Cross to provide a community blood drive at The Centre on Thursday, Dec. 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dec. 13: City, Red Cross to Host Blood Drive at The Centre
Wilk Intro’s Bill to Boost Transparency in High-Speed Rail, Other Agencies
Texas-born, Canyon Country-based blues singer-keyboardist Teresa James and her band The Rhythm Tramps have earned their first Grammy nomination in the Best Contemporary Blues Album category for their 10th and latest album, "Here in Babylon."
Canyon Country’s Teresa James Lands Grammy Nomination
Deputies Arrest 3 on Drug Charges at GV Park and Ride Lot
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Dec. 10-16, 2018.
‘GLOW,’ ‘Seal Team,’ ‘Killer Contractor’ Now Filming in SCV
LASD, Coroner Investigating Human Skull, Remains Found in Newhall
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures Tuesday through Friday.
AV Cold Weather Alert Called for Tuesday to Friday
Several CalArtians are among the nominees announced Friday for the 61st Annual Grammy Awards to be handed out Feb. 10.
CalArtians Score Music, Tech, Graphics Grammy Nominations
Several CalArtians have been nominated for the 46th annual Annie Awards, which honor achievement in the art of animation.
CalArtians Nominated for 46th Annual Annie Awards
CalArts faculty and students are among the 2018 Arts Writers Grant Program recipients from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.
CalArts Faculty, Students Win Writers Grants from Warhol Foundation
1941 - Three days after Pearl Harbor attack, 165th and 185th Infantry Regiments assigned to Saugus; Edison power substation guarded 24/7 [timeline]
1983 - U.S. release of John Carpenter's "Christine;" blew up fake gas station in Valencia [watch scene (R)]
1941 - Julius Dietzmann family of Castaic arrested as German enemy aliens [story]
Valencia-based H2scan has announced the Gen 5 System, a first of its kind hydrogen sensor package to help utilities monitor and protect their distribution transformers.
Valencia’s H2scan Unveils New Transformer Monitoring System
CalArts graduates are among the nominees for Golden Globe Awards the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced on Monday, recognizing excellence in domestic and foreign film and television.
CalArtians ‘Glow’ in 76th Golden Globes Nominations
The California Department of Education and the State Board of Education have launched the second version of the California School Dashboard, a website that gives parents, students and educators access to valuable school and district data.
State Launches 2018 School Dashboard; Hart Schools Score Well
The TMU Mustangs played a dominant defensive effort Thursday, holding Hope International scoreless in the third quarter of what became a 76-47 win.
TMU Women’s Basketball Team Nets Win Over Hope Int’l
The nonprofit Friends of Hart Park, in cooperation with the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation, will present the 7th Annual Hart Holiday Boutique & Craft Fair at Hart Park on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 8-9, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
Dec. 8-9: Holiday Boutique, Craft Fair at Hart Park
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will hear comments from the public about the proposed Centennial Specific Plan Project at their next meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 11, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 11: Supes May OK Centennial at Tejon Ranch Development
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Dec. 11, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 11: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Castaic School Board members held their Annual Organizational Meeting on Dec. 6, and elected officers and representatives of the Board for 2019.
Castaic School Board Elects Officers, Reps for 2019
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced Friday that Amazon.com Inc. has agreed not to sell force-fed foie gras in California under a consumer protection settlement reached with her office and the Monterey County and Santa Clara County district attorney’s offices.
DA’s, Amazon Settle Force-Fed Foie Gras Online Sales Case
People with mental health issues and dementia who are released from Los Angeles County jails will be given medications and connections to organizations that can keep them from becoming homeless, according to an update of a settlement agreement reached Thursday.
LA County Agrees to More Mental Health Help for Inmates
California Highway Patrol officials have determined Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus died after he was struck by a bullet from a CHP officer's weapon during the Borderline Bar shooting in Thousand Oaks Nov. 7.
CHP: Ventura Sheriff Sgt. Killed by Friendly Fire in Borderline Shooting
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has joined a bipartisan working group of 40 state attorneys general seeking to end illegal robocalls, he announced Friday.
State AG’s Push Feds to Stop Robocalls
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has put out a call for volunteers to help count homeless individuals in the Santa Clarita Valley on Wednesday night, Jan. 23.
Jan. 23: Volunteers Sought for SCV Homeless Count
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next meetings at City Hall on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Dec. 11: Re-elected City Council Members, New Mayor to be Sworn In