Clear
Clear

January 20
1993 - Hart High grad Dee Dee Myers (1979) becomes first female White House press secretary [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Dec 6, 2014

JenniferFischerIn many ways, I feel like I’ve been holding my breath for the last two weeks – trying to wrap my brain around everything that has happened; struggling to find my voice because silence is deadly. Silence is not acceptable because silence implies acceptance.

As a pastor’s kid, the words of the German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer come to mind:

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Still, finding the right words is not always easy. In fact, sometimes it can seem impossible, particularly when searching for the right words for the right circumstance.

As I searched for the “right words,” I immediately thought of the famous “First They Came” poem:

First they came for the Communists

And I did not speak out

Because I was not a Communist

Then they came for the Socialists

And I did not speak out

Because I was not a Socialist

Then they came for the trade unionists

And I did not speak out

Because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for the Jews

And I did not speak out

Because I was not a Jew

Then they came for me

And there was no one left

To speak out for me

– Martin Niemoller

Perhaps what has happened in other parts of the country doesn’t feel relevant or important here in the Santa Clarita Valley, but injustice anywhere is relevant to all of us everywhere.

So as I struggle for the right words, I find that what makes the most sense for me to write about is what I personally know; what I have personally experienced and seen.

When I lived in Newhall and mentioned that fact to individuals who lived in other parts of the Santa Clarita Valley, I would often get a questionable look and would be asked if I felt safe living in Newhall.

I often get that same look and question now when I mention that I live in Val Verde. Despite the low crime rates in both areas (and in all of the Santa Clarita Valley), people often seem genuinely shocked that I am not afraid to live in Val Verde.

These sentiments come primarily from the fact that both Newhall and Val Verde are viewed as low-income communities of color.

Right now, the residents of Val Verde are struggling to have their voices heard and recognized as they speak out against the expansion of the Chiquita Canyon Landfill instead of its impending closure (as was previously agreed upon by the landfill and the county).

I see the existence of the landfill so close to homes in Val Verde, and this proposed expansion, as clearly related to systemic racism and the power of privilege.

Historically, Val Verde was an African-American community. In fact, the community’s actual existence is directly connected to segregation. Black Hollywood actors were not allowed to vacation in Palm Springs and were not welcome in many other areas, so Val Verde was created to be literally a “Black Palm Springs,” a vacation resort area for wealthy black Angelenos.

Today, Val Verde is still viewed as a community of color – although no longer African-American, but Hispanic.

I’ve read various comments about the community in which it is spoken of in derogatory ways. Its residents are often referred to as “illegal,” or the community is mentioned as being full of “gangs.”

As a resident, I can tell you that not only are those comments racist, classist and crude; they are also wrong. There may be some residents who are undocumented – I personally do not know, for I don’t go around my community asking people to prove their citizenship. Nor do I care – because what I do know is that my community is full of interesting and wonderful residents who are healthcare workers, educators, professors, filmmakers, college students, sculptors, farmers, entrepreneurs, artisans, social workers, janitors, beauticians, painters, Ivy League graduates, chefs, contractors, dancers, pilots, veterans, real estate investors and more.

The Chiquita Canyon Landfill is counting on its privilege and its money, and its promoters are counting on silence. They are assuming the pervading views of Val Verde will keep people from speaking out against the expansion of the landfill. Their assumption is that the majority of Los Angeles County residents, and even Santa Clarita Valley residents, will not pay attention and will not care. All they need to expand is for the five individuals who make up the L.A. County Board of Supervisors to vote for the expansion – and why wouldn’t they?

Those supervisors are elected by the whole. What difference would the loss of 1,000 votes from Val Verde residents make to any of them, or even to our supervisor? No difference at all, and here I find it coming full circle – I find all of the words and images swirling around in my head colliding. I see how the global is local, and the local is global, and I can’t breathe.

The landfill stinks. Senseless, unnecessary deaths stink. Distrust of our law enforcement officers stinks. Unequal treatment stinks. The devaluation of lives stinks, and the power of privilege is suffocating.

I can’t breathe. I can’t think. I can’t write. But I also can’t be silent. All lives matter, and I won’t breathe freely until there is a world in which every person’s life is valued and we are all treated with love and compassion.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

1. Gina Stewart Gina Stewart says:

You forgot to add that criminals stink and lack of respect for those who put their lives on the line to protect us from such criminals stink. I can’t breathe either, watching people coddle criminals and undermine police.

• Yep, this has everything to do with crime and not race, which is why you’ll find white-collar criminals get sent to jail just the same as any person of color trying to make a dime out on the street. Those bankers that irresponsibly set America up for an economic collapse a few years ago are enjoying a lengthy, well-deserved stay at your local penitentiary.

My dad’s LAPD, come at me brah.

• <3 Thanks for liking my comment until you realized I was pointing out the cruel irony in the law and not siding with you, Gina. Cops enforce the law, that doesn't make the law right. Who makes the law? Our representatives. Who are our representatives? Old rich white guys, including our own Buck McKeon, who's a deacon in the Mormon church and has a funny little street named after him that leads to Wal*Mart. Does he represent the interests of people like me, or the residents of Val Verde who have to live next to a dump? …Nah, prolly not.

2. Gina Stewart Gina Stewart says:

3. Sorry Jennifer, I don’t agree. If someone goes out of their way to harm others (like ISIS) or many other cases, their life doesn’t matter and they need to be eliminated from this earth. Your views are sweet but completely unrealistic

4. Sorry Jennifer, I don’t agree. If someone goes out of their way to harm others (like ISIS) or many other cases, their life doesn’t matter and they need to be eliminated from this earth. Your views are sweet but completely unrealistic

5. If you are speaking of the landfill issue, specifically, what are other options?
    I’m not sure I understand the sentiment in your article…

6. If you are speaking of the landfill issue, specifically, what are other options?
    I’m not sure I understand the sentiment in your article…

7. Thanks Jennifer. The casual and systemic racism that allows these things should no longer be tolerated.

8. Thanks Jennifer. The casual and systemic racism that allows these things should no longer be tolerated.

9. Julie Vetrie Julie Vetrie says:

Thank you for not being silent!!

10. Barb Green Barb Green says:

Your story was unclear. Was it about outrage about verdicts or a landfill that you knowingly moved near?

11. Obviously .. A bored housewife

• Obviously you are a sexist chauvinistic pig for writing and thinking this; for attacking her opinion based on the fact that she’s a woman. You are what is wrong with this world, Steven.

12. What a heartfelt and well written explanation of “The Inability to Breath” in witness to our social problems. You are right, for those who claim to deny any ownership of these problems, will only be surprised when it reaches their doors.

13. And Gina criminal cops stink too!

14. Thank you for not being silent.

15. Steven Williams that an incredibly sexist comment, way to look like an ass.

16. Thank you for writing this Jennifer. Being white, we have the privilege of being outraged at the turn of events (i.e. Lack of indictments) rather than be terrified at these outcomes like people of color now are. We don’t have that fear of law enforcement because, statistically, white people are not unjustifiably harassed or killed as often as people of color at the hand of police.

A Criminal is a criminal, regardless of race, religion, social class, etc., but that does not mean the institution that is put in place to protect us (and the institution paid for by our tax dollars) gets to get off killing someone for something as harmless as selling “loose cigarettes”. It’s why we have a clause in our constitution forbidding “cruel and unusual punishment”. Choking someone to death over the illegal sale of cigarettes–when a chokehold is forbidden as a means of restraint to begin with–is cruel and unusual and unjustified punishment.

But, of course as the privileged, W.A.S.P-y inhabitants of this sheltered valley, I don’t expect you all to grasp that concept. We are so quick to jump to the side of the cop because they are supposed to be the “good guy”. But I can almost bet that not one of these commenters who has commented negatively on this article has been hassled by law enforcement, or has had to fear a police presence. You don’t want to believe it because racism is a hard pill to swallow, especially when we all subconsciously carry around white-guilt. But we need to use our white privilege to fight alongside our people of color counterparts and stand up for their rights as well. This doesn’t mean all cops are bad, or that Eric garner or Michael brown weren’t doing something illegal to begin with to elicit a police response, but they should still be alive and their killers should’ve at least been indicted. That is where the systemic racism lies. And we cannot stay silent.

17. Why are the stories so badly written always ?

18. David Devlin David Devlin says:

When a police officer asks you to put your hands behind your back…..PUT THEM BEHIND YOUR BACK!!! and WHY would you get into a situation wher you have to put your hands behind your back????

19. Bad cops are on notice.

20. I’m not sure you made clear your position on anything but the landfill

21. Chris Kramer Chris Kramer says:

I am fairly certain that I won’t be shot or choked by any LEO for one reason, and surprisingly enough its not my skin color or ethnic background. It’s because when an officer tells me not to commit an infraction (read: don’t walk in the middle of the street) I say “ok officer, have a nice night”. If I’m selling illegal cigarettes, I’m not really surprised when the officer tells me to put my hands behind my back for fitting those ugly bracelets. I don’t resist, I don’t fuss, I don’t regard myself a victim.

Every life lost prematurely is a tragedy, regardless of cause. The real fact is there are about 300 to 400ish deaths during arrests, etc. in a country of 300 millionish, and many are a phenomenon called “suicide by cop”. If there is 1 death due to a “bad cop” it’s too many, but let’s find one of those cases to hang the banner from, not the cases we see now*.

* my assessment of the case in New York may change, since the Grand Jury transcripts aren’t as readily available as they are for the Ferguson case.

22. I thought the article was well written and informative. It all came together for me personally and I could see how clearly it related to the recent social and political upheaval. We are all in this together.

23. Gina educate yourself the 12 year old, Tamir Rice was playing with a toy gun in the park. As well the big sweet guy, Mr. Eric Garner on a New York sidewalk was just standing there! No crimes in many of these people’s actions. Most black people are not criminals. You need to get out of SCV, maybe travel abroad or friend some minority people and you will find they are struggling to survive just like us here.

24. Abigail says:

The people who moved to Val Verde had it in writing that the landfill “dump” was closing. So don’t try that “you knew” garbage with the people of Val Verde. It was not just a rumor it is in writing and the landfill, AKA “Good Neighbor” is going back on a written contract. Get your facts straight commenters who hate Val Verde.

Jennifer – good article :-)

25. John Musella says:

Hey Abigail… If you read the language in the 1997 governing permit for the landfill it clearly states that nothing in the permit shall prohibit Chiquita Canyon from seeking future expansions.

The Agreement signed with Val Verde created the language to include in that permit which established the end date for the permit. I know it can be a little confusing, but we should be clear about the facts. Thank you.

• SCVNews.com says:

John, the entire Val Verde agreement was included in the conditions of approval by the Board of Supervisors. Upon certification of the Final EIR for the 1997 expansion, the terms of the Val Verde agreement, including closure no later than November 2019, became terms of the approval of the expansion. I know you weren’t there at the time, but the 1997 expansion was contentious and would not have been approved without the closure condition – and in fact it was not. (Leon)

• SCVNews.com says:

Read for example Condition #46 in the Conditions of Approval for the modifications to the landfill’s CUP (i.e., the expansion) as signed by the Landfill manager and the property owner (NLF).

• Bonnie Nikolai says:

Semantics. The agreement states that the landfill would close. So it should close. It’s pretty simple. I’m fairly sure a court would agree. Which sadly, it may come to that. You are admitting to underhanded trickery. It’s like that time someone won a Toyota and the prize committee gave the winner a Toy Yoda doll. Guess what? They got used and had to buy the winner a Toyota.

Go expand somewhere else. I’m sure the massive corporation that owns Chiquita (and pays you Mr. Musella) has plenty of money to buy land somewhere else. Preferably more than 2 miles from people. We don’t want to dump our problems on another unsuspecting community.

• John Musella says:

The landfill permit which governs the landfill says nothing in these conditions shall preclude the landfill from seeking future permits and expansions. That’s a fact. Val Verde signed that agreement that’s in the permit.

• SCVNews.com says:

Huh … Not immediately seeing that language (or equivalent) in an agreement signed by Val Verde reps, as you suggest. Please post it here, thanks.

26. Get those poor Latinos outta here! Hell yeah the dump belongs next to their breeding ground and not next to squeaky clean shiny Bridgeport where no one has ever been murdered and domestic violence and quiet rage definitely does not exist! https://www.google.com/#q=santa+clarita+murder+suicide

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Jan 11, 2018
There may come a time in your life when you need mental health care. Your Medicare covers a wide variety of such services, in both hospital inpatient and outpatient settings.
Monday, Jan 1, 2018
Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin previews Year 4 of the city's five-year Strategic Plan in his monthly message for January 2018.
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Derelict since the 1994 earthquake, the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall was the first productive oil refinery in the American West and is believed to be the oldest existing refinery in the world today. Unfunded restoration plans have come and gone. Now that the surrounding property is under development, will the promises be kept?
Friday, Dec 8, 2017
A National Memorial designation for St. Francis Dam will honor those who lost their lives in the nation’s worst engineering disaster and the role it played in ushering in a new era of oversight for dam construction.
Thursday, Dec 7, 2017
Eliminating net neutrality would allow Internet service providers such as Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum and AT&T to create a “slow lane” and a “fast lane” on the Internet, prioritizing certain companies over others and dictating what websites you’re able to visit and at what speed, or even blocking you entirely from visiting certain websites of your choice.
Monday, Dec 4, 2017
In his monthly message for December 2017, Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin encourages residents to shop and party locally during the holidays to keep the cash in our community.

On Monday, January 22, 2018, traffic on McBean Parkway, between Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard, will experience delays intermittently between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. due to filming involving a Cessna airplane that will land at Valencia Country Club. It is anticipated there will be fewer than five brief closures throughout the day and each will last for approximately two to five minutes.
Jan. 22: Filming in Valencia Prompts Street Closures
Attorneys Brian Koegle and David Poole of Santa Clarita Valley law firm Poole & Shaffery, LLP will provide insight on legal matters affecting California businesses at the Valley Industry Association's February luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on February 20 starting at 11:45 a.m.
Feb. 20: VIA Luncheon, 2018 Employment Law Update
Oak Hills Educational Foundation and Oak Hills PTA will be hosting their annual science fair at Oak Hills School in Valencia in the form of an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Expo event on Jan. 23rd-26th.
Jan. 26: Oaks Hills STEM Expo
2017 was an exceptional year for the Santa Clarita Valley economy, and 2018 promises even more positive growth.
Live, Work, Play in SCV: All to Improve in 2018
Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation Mythbusters tackle a tough and persistent question: Is growing a community a good thing?
SCV EDC Mythbusters: Why Growth is Good
The nonprofit SCV Mayor’s Committee For Employment of Individuals with Disabilities will host its second annual Educate-Empower-Employ Recognition Luncheon at COC on Thursday, February 22.
Feb. 22: SCV Mayor’s Committee Annual Luncheon, Fundraiser
CalArts alumni will stage the second annual Co-Incidence Festival, an experimental music festival and residency hosted at Washington Street Gallery in Somerville, Massachusetts from Jan. 19-28.
Jan. 19-28: CalArtians Stage Co-Incidence Festival in Mass.
Joseph Wayne Monroy, a South Gate man charged with the murder of a Newhall man in January 2016, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Los Angeles Superior Court today, and was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Monroy Sentenced to 21 Years for 2016 Newhall Murder
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has appointed Joseph Hedges to the position of Chief Operating Officer and Pamela Mizukami as Chief Deputy Director of the California High-Speed Rail Authority.
Brown Expands High-Speed Rail Exec Team to Move Project Forward
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health reports that influenza activity has declined over the last two weeks; however, activity is still widespread and higher than peak levels observed during recent seasons.
Flu Outbreak Eases in LA County, But Still Widepsread
The Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District has appointed Brittany Kruczynski as the new Director of Fiscal Services.
Kruczynski Named Hart District Fiscal Services Director
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies were out in force stepping up enforcement of pedestrian and bicycle safety laws and issued 69 citations to drivers Wednesday, but none to pedestrians.
SCV Deputies’ Pedestrian, Bike Safety Push Nets 69 Citations
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra today issued a statement calling out Acting Director Mick Mulvaney of the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for requesting a total of $0 for the agency's second-quarter budget.
State AG: ‘Trump Officials Treat Consumer Financial Protection as a Joke’
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next Regular Meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 6 p.m.
Jan. 23: City Council Regular Meeting
Amazon announced its list of top 20 finalists for their new headquarters Thursday, and the Los Angeles area -- including the Santa Clarita Valley -- was named among them.
LA, Including SCV’s Newhall Ranch, In the Running for Amazon’s HQ2
1967 - Original airing of Star Trek "Arena" Episode: Kirk battles the Gorn commander (Saugus resident Bobby Clark) at Vasquez Rocks [watch]
In an exciting conclusion of events, approximately 40 inmates who participated in the Education Based Incarceration program received either a high school diploma or certificate of completion for vocational training.
Largest Class of Inmates in Education Based Incarceration Program Graduates
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency (SCV Water) has selected its inaugural leadership to preside over the launch of the newly formed water provider.
SCV Water Selects Inaugural Leadership
Well V-205, located near McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd., was voluntarily removed from service in April 2012 when perchlorate was detected in low concentrations, below the Detection Level for Reporting (DLR).
Perchlorate at Out-of-Service Well Reaches Actionable Level
The Santa Clarita City Council will consider purchasing the 4,598-square-foot building Roger Dunn Golf Shop building in Newhall when the council meets next week.
City Eyeing Purchase of Roger Dunn Building
Here are the Santa Clarita arts-related events for Jan. 20 and Jan. 25:
Jan. 20, 25: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Following in the footsteps of her grandfather, dad, mom and several other family members, Erin Oxhorn-Gilpin always wanted to be a teacher.
CSUN Alumna Nabs Teacher of the Year
Legendary Band, "The Chieftains," will celebrate their 55th Anniversary with a performance at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (SCPAC), Saturday, Feb. 24, at 8:00 p.m.
Feb. 24: The Chieftains 55th Anniversary Tour
SEATTLE - Amazon reviewed 238 proposals from across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to host HQ2, the company’s second headquarters in North America.
Los Angeles on Short List of Amazon’s HQ2
The Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District Board of Directors will hold its Regular Meeting Friday at 11:30 a.m.
Jan. 19: SCV Sanitation District Regular Meeting
Kevin Young has been selected as the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) 2018 Katie Jacobson Writer-in-Residence. Young will conduct workshops with CalArts students in the MFA Creative Writing Program and present public readings, which will be held at CalArts on Feb. 15 at 7:00 p.m. and at REDCAT in Downtown Los Angeles on Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m.
The New Yorker’s Poetry Editor Selected as CalArts 2018 Writer-in-Residence
LOS ANGELES – The County Interim Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
Cold Weather Alert Issued for SCV
Here is the Valencia Crime Information and Public Safety report for the week of Jan. 1:
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Valencia
Here is the Saugus (Zone 4) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Saugus
Here is the Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) Public Safety and Crime Information Report for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Attempted Robbery, Grand Theft Auto, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
Here is the Newhall (Zone 6) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Commercial Burglary, Vehicle Burglary, Grand Theft in Newhall
1899 - Martin & Richard Wood buy J.H. Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, rename it Saugus Cafe [story]
The dismantling of a multi-state drug trafficking organization that used the U.S. Postal Service to mail packages of crystal methamphetamine and marijuana from California to traffickers in Pennsylvania since at least April 2016 - and the arrests of five leaders who spearheaded the corrupt organization, including two from the Santa Clarita Valley - were announced Wednesday by Montgomery County (Penn.) District Attorney Kevin R. Steele.
2 from SCV Netted in Major East Coast Drug Bust
With The Master's University's 2018 baseball season about to begin, TMU Sports Information Director Mason Nesbitt offers a preview.
TMU Previews Mustangs’ 2018 Baseball Season
Several CalArtians are among the Chicago-based United States Artists' annual fellowship class of 45 artists and collaboratives who will each receive an unrestricted $50,000 grant for their respective art practices.
CalArtians Among United States Artists’ New Fellowship Class