Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

September 19
1863 - Gen. Edward F. Beale loans money to A.A. Hudson and Oliver P. Robbins to erect toll house in Newhall Pass [story]

| Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014
Lancaster Woman Killed In 14 Freeway Crash Monday Night
Photo: Rick McClure

A Lancaster woman was killed in a single-car crash Monday night after she lost control of her car on southbound Highway 14.

The accident occurred at 9:31 p.m. north of Newhall Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol report.

The 25-year-old woman was identified and her family has been notified but coroner’s officials could not release the woman’s name pending notification of her legal next of kin, said Capt. John Kades of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The woman was driving a 2003 Chevy and made an unsafe turn which cause her to lose control of the car, according to the CHP report. The car veered off the roadway, slammed into a guardrail, became airborne and then rolled several times, landing on it’s roof on a dirt embankment on the side of the road on Newhall Ave.

Both CHP and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

This collision is still under investigation and drug or alcohol impairment are not believed to be a factor at this time, according to the CHP report.

1. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

People need to slow down

2. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

Drove past this really sad rip.

3. This explains the helicopters last night. My condolences the the family. So sad.

4. Rosie Romero Rosie Romero says:

Lucy Romero Porsche Jones

5. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

hearbreaking….prayers up

6. Really sad. We know the family she left behind 2 young boys (2 & 5.) she was on her way to work in Valencia.

She wasn’t speeding. Sadly CHP believes she fell asleep.

7. I thought it was one of the numerous potholes all over town as well as the 14 fwy…what’s up with that ?

8. Nick Mills Nick Mills says:

Theres a car seat she has a baby that sucks bigtime for the kid

9. Ashley Melissa Zetina

10. Diane Candelaria-Contreras

11. So sad to hear this :(

12. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

Prayers to the family.

13. So sad, prayers to her family:( may God always be with them and heal their heavy hearts

14. Jah Triplett Jah Triplett says:

Dammm life is to short I’m sorry for your loss coach Terron Kelly Sr. Ur family in my prayers

15. Very sad prayers to her family

16. ShaNita Kelly rest easy we gone miss you

17. You’ll be miss ShaNita Kelly love you girlie your in heaven now.

18. For those of you who don’t know please do not speak thank you! She was not speeding!

19. RIP ShaNita Kelly my prayers to your sons and family

20. My sister. I can’t believe you’re gone.

21. Rest well beautiful, you will truly be missed

22. My heart is heavy and she is truly gonna be missed love you ShaNita Kelly

23. Melondy says:

She was my friend and I will miss her very much.

24. Im prayin for the family…si sad and unbelievable

25. RIP shanita Kelly my prayers go out to u an ur family

26. Thats so sad prayers to the family

27. Love and miss yuyu ShaNita Kelly W.I.P walk in paridise mommas love yu and we will meet again my friend, by the grace of God!

28. Javon Blkberry Miller

29. Christopher McIntosh Sr.

30. Rip Nita ..U will be so missed

31. R.I.P baby girl.. You will be missed…

32. yoshani helton says:

my prayers go out to shanita family & other friends we really will miss you luv.. You are a luving and bless person.. and we will see you again…

33. Im so sorry my.love goes out to the family

34. So sad prayers for the family

35. Rip baby girl. I love you sis! !!

36. Reva Ellison Reva Ellison says:

Many prays to her family god bless them at this trouble time amen

37. Crystal Live Crystal Live says:

Prayers go out to her family and friends

38. ashley lewis says:

SMH

39. Sending My Condolences To The Family, My Heart Goes Out To You Lil Cuzzin J.J. I’m Here Just a Phone Call Away, Love You!❤️

40. RIP, Love the Prevost Family.

41. Felicia G says:

Rest easy Babygirl you will never be forgotten! Your with God know!! Watch over us all Pls..

42. Is anyone going.to do a vigil for her. When and where

43. Young OG Young OG says:

All I see is shootings and accidents in lancaster. Watts goin on out there? Careless

44. Bless her heart. Poor thing this is so sad :( My condolences to the family. RIP Shanita

45. Prayers to her young boys and family. ..

46. Vina says:

R.I.P I still find this hard to believe

47. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

48. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

49. tylisa harris says:

Rest in paradise shanita I love you

50. Sonya Blake says:

R.I.P. Shanita.
    MISS ME – BUT LET ME GO
    When I come to the end of the road
    And the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
    Why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little–but not too long
    And not with your head bowed low.
    Remember the love that we once shared
    Miss me–but let me go.
    For this is a journey that we all must take
    And each must go alone. It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
    A step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart
    Go to the friends we know
    And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
    Miss Me – But Let me Go!

Author Unknown

See you on the other side. Cousin Sonya Fort Worth Texas

51. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

52. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

53. CeeCee says:

Lovebug you will be missed and cherished!!! Enjoyed working with you and kicking it acting crazee and talking funnee mess!!! May God keep your family as they mourn and celebrate your life with them on earth and prepare them for your homegoing!!!

54. O’ JESUS !! My prayers go out to the family!

55. Charlotte Taylor says:

My condolences goes out to the family

56. Prayers go out to the family.

57. Prayers go out to the family.

58. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

59. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

60. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

61. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

62. Rip I haven’t seen this girl in years but I prey for her family and her little bots that she left behind may you rest in peace angel and watch over your boys you will be missed truly

63. Ms. Sanders says:

See was not a single parent she has to boys by my cousin and the were very much together as a family… People really need to stop all the negative talk. My cousin just lost his father a couple of days before Christmas now this, it don’t matter what kind of turn she made when God calls you home it time to goooooo… People get shoot in they’re head and don’t die

64. Raye says:

omg rip to a fallen friend/ class mate truly an angle

65. RIP Shanita, watch over your boys and family as your loss is truly felt.

66. Soo Cali JB Soo Cali JB says:

Rip prayers for the Lil men an the family .. :(

• yung tay says:

Rest in peace baby girl god bless your family and friends much love to who ever lost a love one it not an easy thing to deal with

67. prayers going out to the family #RIP

68. This poor girl she was probly speeding and lost control may she rip

69. Chris Botros Chris Botros says:

I saw the car yesterday exiting the freeway I was going to work as well

70. Shanti Redus Shanti Redus says:

My entire soul hurts. Your family your kids I am so sorry this happen to you.

71. R.I.P BABY!! WE LOVE AND MISS U

72. Missy Virgo Missy Virgo says:

Rip prayers going up 2 family & friends

73. Lashon says:

This was my sis in law!!! Wonderful mother… Loving spouse and a great friend to a lot of ppl. Please have respect for the family and keep them in prayer #loveyanita

74. Rip, prayers going up for your family

75. Kisha Fowler says:

RIP Shanita Kelly it was a pleasure knowing you i am still in disbelief right now and to the family may god bless each and everyone of you with strength to deal with this tragedy.

76. Ashley Wiggins says:

I loved this women’s voice. She sung praises to God. Im sorry that her family has to go thru such a horrible thing. Im praying for you all and she’s with God resting in peace.

77. Damm R.I.P to the home girl Shanita

78. Didn’t know her but my prayers are with u and all the family how horrible may god be by all of ur sides love u all

79. keymona crawford says:

I am praying for the family and her kids please the family binb ur prayers.

80. Marina De La Rosa says:

you guys just pray for him ! This is not what Shanita would want to hear at all. If he thinks she was “not driving safe” let him only God and Shanita knows what happen that night ! She was not under any type of drugs or alcohol so that’s all that matters. He’s showing real ignorance so let him. Please
    Love you Nita

81. Sally T. says:

OMGoodness…
    It saddened me very much, when I read about this tragedy BUT even more so, when I reached the comments section.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this such YOUNG, YOUNG lady. I’m very truly sorry for your loss. She was SOOO YOUNG…you have my deepest sympathy.

On a different note: (I’ve gotta say something)

Okay “Ms. People Need to Slow Down”.
    I will TRY to be nice, in respect to the young lady and all her loved ones.
    I do realize that maybe you’re trying to prove a point, but it’s a little inappropriate doing it here. Speeding wasn’t the issue and as for the “unsafe turn”, maybe there was no other way to make that turn. (read below)

Have you ever driven on that particular area of the 14 freeway?

-Its dark as F. (there are NO LIGHTS)
    -If raining, lanes become INVISIBLE – (lanes are hard to see since this area usually gets flooded (including on and off ramps))
    -If raining, vehicles seem to be more susceptible to hydroplaining in that particular area.
    -When there’s fog, that visibility IS GONE.
    -AND, Its dark as F!

—I am “almost” twice the age of this young lady and “I HAVE SLOWED TF DOWN”.

—I also drive the safest to my own ability, BUT I would drive much safer if that area had SOME KIND of lighting.

*Maybe that’s why cops choose this area to lurk around for their speed traps – BECAUSE IT IS DARK AS F AROUND THERE!!

82. Sally T. says:

My attention was distracted by my anger toward the “slow down comment”, and I do apologize for my tone in my previous comment.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, and my heart goes out to the young boys. They will be in my prayers.

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
Sierra Vista Junior High School parents were notified Monday about an incident of a male suspect attempting to lure a student.
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Matthew L. Fielding, 25, of La Crescenta, was killed when his motorcycle collided with a car on Interstate 5 in the Newhall Pass on Sunday morning, according to the CHP.

Gibbon-Fest will take place Saturday, Oct. 13, from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., at the Gibbon Conservation Center, located at 19100 Esguerra Rd., Santa Clarita, 91390.
Oct. 13: Gibbon-Fest at Gibbon Conservation Center
The date has changed, but the SCV Senior Center's Touch-A-Truck event is still a landmark event for children and adults who are intrigued with vehicles of all sorts and uses.
Oct. 13: Touch-A-Truck Benefiting SCV Senior Center
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) meeting will be held Wednesday, Sept. 19, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sept. 19: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
BAKERSFIELD — College of the Canyons freshman Haruka Koda fired a round of 70 to earn medalist honors and lead the Lady Cougars to a third straight Western State Conference (WSC) tourney victory on Monday at Kern River Golf Club.
Lady Cougars Bring Home 3rd Straight Western State Conference Tourney Win
The William S. Hart Union High School District's Parent and Student Empowerment (PASE) program presents, "Every Life Matters," Preventing Suicide in Teens & Children.
Sept. 20: Hart District’s PASE Presents ‘Every Life Matters’; Preventing Teen Suicides
The Michael Hoefflin Foundation is looking for volunteers for its upcoming 25th Annual Evening Under the Stars Gala Dinner and Charity Auction.
Michael Hoefflin Foundation In Need of Volunteers for Annual Gala
NORTHRIDGE - Over 60 Matadors spanning three teams took part in the 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day on Saturday. The CSUN Women's Soccer, Women's Water Polo and Women's Tennis teams all participated in the worldwide event in effort to give back and beautify their community.
Dozens of Matadors Take Part in 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day
IRVINE - For the second time in three weeks, CSUN's Daniel Trejo and Henrik Regitnig have swept the weekly Big West Conference men's soccer honors as the Matadors climbed to 13th in the Top Drawer Soccer Top 25 poll.
Pair of Matadors Sweep Big West Conference Awards
The Sheila R. Veloz Breast Center, a service of Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, announces a very special “fun and fit” event at the Santa Clarita Athletic Club on Friday, Oct. 12.
Oct. 12: Ride for a Cure – Fight Breast Cancer with Janet Cheveres
Jonslist.org, a registered 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to protecting animals and the environment, is having the First Annual Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest Saturday, Oct. 27, from 9:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.
Oct. 27: Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest
Enhanced Landscape Management, the maintenance division of Landscape Development Inc. (LDI) with headquarters located in Valencia, Calif., has concluded the asset purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc. (CLI) in Santa Clarita, Calif.
Landscape Development Inc. Concludes Purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc.
California State University, Northridge’s psychology professor Luciana Lagana received the Best Political Statement award at the Hollywood Dreamz International Film Festival, as well as the Phoenix Body of Work award at the 2018 Action on Film International Film Festival, for writing, directing and producing the documentary “Off the Streets for Good.”
CSUN Professor’s Documentary on Homelessness Garners Awards
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Sept. 10 – Sept. 16, 2018.
‘Lethal Weapon,’ ‘NCIS,’ ‘Trading Spaces’ Now Filming in SCV
The happy men of the SCV Men of Harmony Chorus are now preparing for their 42nd Annual A-capella Show and Ice Cream Social.
Oct. 13: SCV Men of Harmony Chorus A-capella Show, Ice Cream Social
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
1962 - Articles of incorporation filed for Golden State Memorial Hospital on Lyons Avenue [story]
Dodger outfielder Yasiel Puig has been named the National League Player of the Week presented by W.B. Mason for the period ending Sept. 16, the team announced Monday.
Dodgers’ Yasiel Puig Named National League Player of the Week
Writer, photographer and former CalArts Critical Studies faculty Janet Sternburg will present her first solo U.S. museum show, titled 'LIMBUS,' at USC’s Fisher Museum of Art from Sept. 18 to Dec. 1.
Sept. 18: Janet Sternburg to Open ‘LIMBUS’ at USC’s Fisher Museum
CalArts acting student Pricilla Chung's Instagram account caught the eye of New York Magazine’s fashion blog The Cut, and editors invited her to NYC for a photo shoot and feature write-up.
CalArts Acting Student Pricilla Jin Chung Makes ‘The Cut’
For a team with goals that can't be reached until November, it's all about the progression from one meet to another right now for The Master's University men's cross country team.
TMU Men’s Cross Country Keeps Building Toward Goals
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has unveiled its fall programming lineup for both Los Angeles and New York.
‘Exorcist’ 45th Anniversary, ‘Christmas Story’ Top Fall Academy Screenings
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and her Trail Blazers will host her second annual trail ride at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas on Sunday, Oct. 21.
Oct. 21: Barger’s Trail Blazers to Ride at Bonelli Regional Park
Mikala Fairchild led all Mustangs women's cross country runners at Saturday's UC Riverside Invitational, finishing 21st overall in the 5,000-meter open race.
Fairchild, Ghiorso Lead the Way for TMU Women’s Cross Country
The TMU Mustangs men's soccer team beat No. 14 Marymount California University 3-1 at El Camino College in Torrance on Saturday.
Mangan Leads Mustangs Past No. 14 Marymount Cal
Senior Hailey Gomillion scored in the 105th minute to lift No. 24 TMU to a 1-0 win over Marymount California University.
Gomillion’s Goal Lifts TMU to Win in 105th Minute
The Master's University women's volleyball team completed a sweep of No. 7 Westmont College on Saturday, ending the Warriors' 32-match winning streak in conference play.
Master’s Snaps Westmont’s 32-Match GSAC Win Streak
The Salvation Army Santa Clarita Valley Corps proudly marched in this year’s Agua Dulce Country Fair Parade on Saturday, with Envoys Jerry and Laura Bloom and the Salvation Army Kettle Bug leading a group of lively volunteers down the parade route.
Salvation Army Joins March in Agua Dulce Parade
The William S. Hart Union High School District needs a new member of the Measure SA Citizens’ Oversight Committee.
Hart District Seeks Member for Measure SA Oversight Panel
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Michael Foley began serving as the Executive Director of Bridge to Home on Monday, Sept. 17.
Michael Foley is New Bridge to Home Exec Director
A woman who was barricaded in a Castaic apartment after allegedly firing a gun during a welfare check in Castaic Friday afternoon surrendered to authorities after several hours of negotiation.
Barricaded Woman Surrenders in Castaic
A coalition of 56 state attorneys general including California's sent a letter to the U.S. Congress Monday calling on lawmakers to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
State AG’s Urge Feds to Renew Violence Against Women Act
California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. joined Baden-Württemberg Minister-President Winfried Kretschmann Saturday to sign an agreement establishing a sister state relationship between California and Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
Brown Signs Sister State Agreement with Baden-Württemberg, Germany
1879 - First official Newhall School building erected near Walnut & Ninth streets [story]