Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

December 11
1922 - Piru bank robbed, banker and daughter kidnapped [story]

| Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014
Lancaster Woman Killed In 14 Freeway Crash Monday Night
Photo: Rick McClure

A Lancaster woman was killed in a single-car crash Monday night after she lost control of her car on southbound Highway 14.

The accident occurred at 9:31 p.m. north of Newhall Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol report.

The 25-year-old woman was identified and her family has been notified but coroner’s officials could not release the woman’s name pending notification of her legal next of kin, said Capt. John Kades of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The woman was driving a 2003 Chevy and made an unsafe turn which cause her to lose control of the car, according to the CHP report. The car veered off the roadway, slammed into a guardrail, became airborne and then rolled several times, landing on it’s roof on a dirt embankment on the side of the road on Newhall Ave.

Both CHP and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

This collision is still under investigation and drug or alcohol impairment are not believed to be a factor at this time, according to the CHP report.

1. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

People need to slow down

2. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

Drove past this really sad rip.

3. This explains the helicopters last night. My condolences the the family. So sad.

4. Rosie Romero Rosie Romero says:

Lucy Romero Porsche Jones

5. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

hearbreaking….prayers up

6. Really sad. We know the family she left behind 2 young boys (2 & 5.) she was on her way to work in Valencia.

She wasn’t speeding. Sadly CHP believes she fell asleep.

7. I thought it was one of the numerous potholes all over town as well as the 14 fwy…what’s up with that ?

8. Nick Mills Nick Mills says:

Theres a car seat she has a baby that sucks bigtime for the kid

9. Ashley Melissa Zetina

10. Diane Candelaria-Contreras

11. So sad to hear this :(

12. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

Prayers to the family.

13. So sad, prayers to her family:( may God always be with them and heal their heavy hearts

14. Jah Triplett Jah Triplett says:

Dammm life is to short I’m sorry for your loss coach Terron Kelly Sr. Ur family in my prayers

15. Very sad prayers to her family

16. ShaNita Kelly rest easy we gone miss you

17. You’ll be miss ShaNita Kelly love you girlie your in heaven now.

18. For those of you who don’t know please do not speak thank you! She was not speeding!

19. RIP ShaNita Kelly my prayers to your sons and family

20. My sister. I can’t believe you’re gone.

21. Rest well beautiful, you will truly be missed

22. My heart is heavy and she is truly gonna be missed love you ShaNita Kelly

23. Melondy says:

She was my friend and I will miss her very much.

24. Im prayin for the family…si sad and unbelievable

25. RIP shanita Kelly my prayers go out to u an ur family

26. Thats so sad prayers to the family

27. Love and miss yuyu ShaNita Kelly W.I.P walk in paridise mommas love yu and we will meet again my friend, by the grace of God!

28. Javon Blkberry Miller

29. Christopher McIntosh Sr.

30. Rip Nita ..U will be so missed

31. R.I.P baby girl.. You will be missed…

32. yoshani helton says:

my prayers go out to shanita family & other friends we really will miss you luv.. You are a luving and bless person.. and we will see you again…

33. Im so sorry my.love goes out to the family

34. So sad prayers for the family

35. Rip baby girl. I love you sis! !!

36. Reva Ellison Reva Ellison says:

Many prays to her family god bless them at this trouble time amen

37. Crystal Live Crystal Live says:

Prayers go out to her family and friends

38. ashley lewis says:

SMH

39. Sending My Condolences To The Family, My Heart Goes Out To You Lil Cuzzin J.J. I’m Here Just a Phone Call Away, Love You!❤️

40. RIP, Love the Prevost Family.

41. Felicia G says:

Rest easy Babygirl you will never be forgotten! Your with God know!! Watch over us all Pls..

42. Is anyone going.to do a vigil for her. When and where

43. Young OG Young OG says:

All I see is shootings and accidents in lancaster. Watts goin on out there? Careless

44. Bless her heart. Poor thing this is so sad :( My condolences to the family. RIP Shanita

45. Prayers to her young boys and family. ..

46. Vina says:

R.I.P I still find this hard to believe

47. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

48. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

49. tylisa harris says:

Rest in paradise shanita I love you

50. Sonya Blake says:

R.I.P. Shanita.
    MISS ME – BUT LET ME GO
    When I come to the end of the road
    And the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
    Why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little–but not too long
    And not with your head bowed low.
    Remember the love that we once shared
    Miss me–but let me go.
    For this is a journey that we all must take
    And each must go alone. It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
    A step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart
    Go to the friends we know
    And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
    Miss Me – But Let me Go!

Author Unknown

See you on the other side. Cousin Sonya Fort Worth Texas

51. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

52. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

53. CeeCee says:

Lovebug you will be missed and cherished!!! Enjoyed working with you and kicking it acting crazee and talking funnee mess!!! May God keep your family as they mourn and celebrate your life with them on earth and prepare them for your homegoing!!!

54. O’ JESUS !! My prayers go out to the family!

55. Charlotte Taylor says:

My condolences goes out to the family

56. Prayers go out to the family.

57. Prayers go out to the family.

58. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

59. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

60. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

61. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

62. Rip I haven’t seen this girl in years but I prey for her family and her little bots that she left behind may you rest in peace angel and watch over your boys you will be missed truly

63. Ms. Sanders says:

See was not a single parent she has to boys by my cousin and the were very much together as a family… People really need to stop all the negative talk. My cousin just lost his father a couple of days before Christmas now this, it don’t matter what kind of turn she made when God calls you home it time to goooooo… People get shoot in they’re head and don’t die

64. Raye says:

omg rip to a fallen friend/ class mate truly an angle

65. RIP Shanita, watch over your boys and family as your loss is truly felt.

66. Soo Cali JB Soo Cali JB says:

Rip prayers for the Lil men an the family .. :(

• yung tay says:

Rest in peace baby girl god bless your family and friends much love to who ever lost a love one it not an easy thing to deal with

67. prayers going out to the family #RIP

68. This poor girl she was probly speeding and lost control may she rip

69. Chris Botros Chris Botros says:

I saw the car yesterday exiting the freeway I was going to work as well

70. Shanti Redus Shanti Redus says:

My entire soul hurts. Your family your kids I am so sorry this happen to you.

71. R.I.P BABY!! WE LOVE AND MISS U

72. Missy Virgo Missy Virgo says:

Rip prayers going up 2 family & friends

73. Lashon says:

This was my sis in law!!! Wonderful mother… Loving spouse and a great friend to a lot of ppl. Please have respect for the family and keep them in prayer #loveyanita

74. Rip, prayers going up for your family

75. Kisha Fowler says:

RIP Shanita Kelly it was a pleasure knowing you i am still in disbelief right now and to the family may god bless each and everyone of you with strength to deal with this tragedy.

76. Ashley Wiggins says:

I loved this women’s voice. She sung praises to God. Im sorry that her family has to go thru such a horrible thing. Im praying for you all and she’s with God resting in peace.

77. Damm R.I.P to the home girl Shanita

78. Didn’t know her but my prayers are with u and all the family how horrible may god be by all of ur sides love u all

79. keymona crawford says:

I am praying for the family and her kids please the family binb ur prayers.

80. Marina De La Rosa says:

you guys just pray for him ! This is not what Shanita would want to hear at all. If he thinks she was “not driving safe” let him only God and Shanita knows what happen that night ! She was not under any type of drugs or alcohol so that’s all that matters. He’s showing real ignorance so let him. Please
    Love you Nita

81. Sally T. says:

OMGoodness…
    It saddened me very much, when I read about this tragedy BUT even more so, when I reached the comments section.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this such YOUNG, YOUNG lady. I’m very truly sorry for your loss. She was SOOO YOUNG…you have my deepest sympathy.

On a different note: (I’ve gotta say something)

Okay “Ms. People Need to Slow Down”.
    I will TRY to be nice, in respect to the young lady and all her loved ones.
    I do realize that maybe you’re trying to prove a point, but it’s a little inappropriate doing it here. Speeding wasn’t the issue and as for the “unsafe turn”, maybe there was no other way to make that turn. (read below)

Have you ever driven on that particular area of the 14 freeway?

-Its dark as F. (there are NO LIGHTS)
    -If raining, lanes become INVISIBLE – (lanes are hard to see since this area usually gets flooded (including on and off ramps))
    -If raining, vehicles seem to be more susceptible to hydroplaining in that particular area.
    -When there’s fog, that visibility IS GONE.
    -AND, Its dark as F!

—I am “almost” twice the age of this young lady and “I HAVE SLOWED TF DOWN”.

—I also drive the safest to my own ability, BUT I would drive much safer if that area had SOME KIND of lighting.

*Maybe that’s why cops choose this area to lurk around for their speed traps – BECAUSE IT IS DARK AS F AROUND THERE!!

82. Sally T. says:

My attention was distracted by my anger toward the “slow down comment”, and I do apologize for my tone in my previous comment.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, and my heart goes out to the young boys. They will be in my prayers.

Monday, Dec 10, 2018
Wilk Intro’s Bill to Boost Transparency in High-Speed Rail, Other Agencies
Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, introduced Senate Bill 53 (SB 53), legislation that will strengthen transparency in state agencies and stop agencies like the California High-Speed Rail Authority from taking advantage of a loophole that allows them to hold closed-door meetings without public involvement.
Monday, Dec 10, 2018
Deputies Arrest 3 on Drug Charges at GV Park and Ride Lot
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station arrested a couple from Palmdale and a Simi Valley man on drug charges in the Park and Ride lot at Golden Valley Road off Highway 14 on Sunday, according to officials.
Monday, Dec 10, 2018
LASD, Coroner Investigating Human Skull, Remains Found in Newhall
Law enforcement and Coroner's officials discovered more human remains Saturday morning in the Santa Clara River bed in Newhall, near where a human skull was discovered Wednesday.

1922 - Piru bank robbed, banker and daughter kidnapped [story]
The county of Los Angeles officially filed a comment on Monday in opposition to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Citizenship and Immigration Services’ proposed “public charge” rule change.
LA County Opposes Feds’ Proposed ‘Public Charge’ Rule Change
The next regular-organizational meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Dec. 12, at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
Dec. 12: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The rhetoric of playing a full 40 minutes can easily overshadow the reality of a college team's effort.
Lady Mustangs Defend Their Way to Win Over Hawks
All things considered, the Mustangs could have found themselves in a worse position in the closing moments of Saturday's game in El Cajon.
No. 2 Mustangs Fall to San Diego Christian on Atencia’s Big Night
The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers (1-8; 1-0 Cal Pac) earned their initial win of the season with a 76-61 victory over the Golden Eagles of La Sierra University (2-8; 0-1 Cal Pac) on Saturday.
UAV Men’s Basketball Team Downs La Sierra 76-61 in Opener
The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers women's basketball team (8-2; 1-0 Cal Pac) routed the La Sierra University (3-9; 0-1 Cal Pac) Golden Eagles 106-46 in Saturday's intercollegiate California Pacific Conference women’s basketball action in Riverside.
UAV Women’s Basketball Team Routs La Sierra 106-46
The WiSH Education Foundation ends 2018 on a high note, having supported local public schools with more than $235,000.
WiSH Foundation 2018 Donations to SCV Schools Top $235K
The University of Antelope Valley is pleased to announce the hiring of Anthony Harris as its Director of Athletics.
Anthony Harris is New Athletics Director at UAV
The city of Santa Clarita will partner with the American Red Cross to provide a community blood drive at The Centre on Thursday, Dec. 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dec. 13: City, Red Cross to Host Blood Drive at The Centre
Wilk Intro’s Bill to Boost Transparency in High-Speed Rail, Other Agencies
Texas-born, Canyon Country-based blues singer-keyboardist Teresa James and her band The Rhythm Tramps have earned their first Grammy nomination in the Best Contemporary Blues Album category for their 10th and latest album, "Here in Babylon."
Canyon Country’s Teresa James Lands Grammy Nomination
Deputies Arrest 3 on Drug Charges at GV Park and Ride Lot
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Dec. 10-16, 2018.
‘GLOW,’ ‘Seal Team,’ ‘Killer Contractor’ Now Filming in SCV
LASD, Coroner Investigating Human Skull, Remains Found in Newhall
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures Tuesday through Friday.
AV Cold Weather Alert Called for Tuesday to Friday
Several CalArtians are among the nominees announced Friday for the 61st Annual Grammy Awards to be handed out Feb. 10.
CalArtians Score Music, Tech, Graphics Grammy Nominations
Several CalArtians have been nominated for the 46th annual Annie Awards, which honor achievement in the art of animation.
CalArtians Nominated for 46th Annual Annie Awards
CalArts faculty and students are among the 2018 Arts Writers Grant Program recipients from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.
CalArts Faculty, Students Win Writers Grants from Warhol Foundation
1941 - Three days after Pearl Harbor attack, 165th and 185th Infantry Regiments assigned to Saugus; Edison power substation guarded 24/7 [timeline]
1983 - U.S. release of John Carpenter's "Christine;" blew up fake gas station in Valencia [watch scene (R)]
1941 - Julius Dietzmann family of Castaic arrested as German enemy aliens [story]
Valencia-based H2scan has announced the Gen 5 System, a first of its kind hydrogen sensor package to help utilities monitor and protect their distribution transformers.
Valencia’s H2scan Unveils New Transformer Monitoring System
CalArts graduates are among the nominees for Golden Globe Awards the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced on Monday, recognizing excellence in domestic and foreign film and television.
CalArtians ‘Glow’ in 76th Golden Globes Nominations
The California Department of Education and the State Board of Education have launched the second version of the California School Dashboard, a website that gives parents, students and educators access to valuable school and district data.
State Launches 2018 School Dashboard; Hart Schools Score Well
The TMU Mustangs played a dominant defensive effort Thursday, holding Hope International scoreless in the third quarter of what became a 76-47 win.
TMU Women’s Basketball Team Nets Win Over Hope Int’l
The nonprofit Friends of Hart Park, in cooperation with the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation, will present the 7th Annual Hart Holiday Boutique & Craft Fair at Hart Park on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 8-9, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
Dec. 8-9: Holiday Boutique, Craft Fair at Hart Park
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will hear comments from the public about the proposed Centennial Specific Plan Project at their next meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 11, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 11: Supes May OK Centennial at Tejon Ranch Development
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Dec. 11, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 11: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Castaic School Board members held their Annual Organizational Meeting on Dec. 6, and elected officers and representatives of the Board for 2019.
Castaic School Board Elects Officers, Reps for 2019
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced Friday that Amazon.com Inc. has agreed not to sell force-fed foie gras in California under a consumer protection settlement reached with her office and the Monterey County and Santa Clara County district attorney’s offices.
DA’s, Amazon Settle Force-Fed Foie Gras Online Sales Case
People with mental health issues and dementia who are released from Los Angeles County jails will be given medications and connections to organizations that can keep them from becoming homeless, according to an update of a settlement agreement reached Thursday.
LA County Agrees to More Mental Health Help for Inmates
California Highway Patrol officials have determined Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus died after he was struck by a bullet from a CHP officer's weapon during the Borderline Bar shooting in Thousand Oaks Nov. 7.
CHP: Ventura Sheriff Sgt. Killed by Friendly Fire in Borderline Shooting
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has joined a bipartisan working group of 40 state attorneys general seeking to end illegal robocalls, he announced Friday.
State AG’s Push Feds to Stop Robocalls
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has put out a call for volunteers to help count homeless individuals in the Santa Clarita Valley on Wednesday night, Jan. 23.
Jan. 23: Volunteers Sought for SCV Homeless Count
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next meetings at City Hall on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Dec. 11: Re-elected City Council Members, New Mayor to be Sworn In