Sunny
Sunny

January 18
1899 - Martin & Richard Wood buy J.H. Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, rename it Saugus Cafe [story]

| Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014
Lancaster Woman Killed In 14 Freeway Crash Monday Night
Photo: Rick McClure

A Lancaster woman was killed in a single-car crash Monday night after she lost control of her car on southbound Highway 14.

The accident occurred at 9:31 p.m. north of Newhall Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol report.

The 25-year-old woman was identified and her family has been notified but coroner’s officials could not release the woman’s name pending notification of her legal next of kin, said Capt. John Kades of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The woman was driving a 2003 Chevy and made an unsafe turn which cause her to lose control of the car, according to the CHP report. The car veered off the roadway, slammed into a guardrail, became airborne and then rolled several times, landing on it’s roof on a dirt embankment on the side of the road on Newhall Ave.

Both CHP and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

This collision is still under investigation and drug or alcohol impairment are not believed to be a factor at this time, according to the CHP report.

1. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

People need to slow down

2. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

Drove past this really sad rip.

3. This explains the helicopters last night. My condolences the the family. So sad.

4. Rosie Romero Rosie Romero says:

Lucy Romero Porsche Jones

5. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

hearbreaking….prayers up

6. Really sad. We know the family she left behind 2 young boys (2 & 5.) she was on her way to work in Valencia.

She wasn’t speeding. Sadly CHP believes she fell asleep.

7. I thought it was one of the numerous potholes all over town as well as the 14 fwy…what’s up with that ?

8. Nick Mills Nick Mills says:

Theres a car seat she has a baby that sucks bigtime for the kid

9. Ashley Melissa Zetina

10. Diane Candelaria-Contreras

11. So sad to hear this :(

12. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

Prayers to the family.

13. So sad, prayers to her family:( may God always be with them and heal their heavy hearts

14. Jah Triplett Jah Triplett says:

Dammm life is to short I’m sorry for your loss coach Terron Kelly Sr. Ur family in my prayers

15. Very sad prayers to her family

16. ShaNita Kelly rest easy we gone miss you

17. You’ll be miss ShaNita Kelly love you girlie your in heaven now.

18. For those of you who don’t know please do not speak thank you! She was not speeding!

19. RIP ShaNita Kelly my prayers to your sons and family

20. My sister. I can’t believe you’re gone.

21. Rest well beautiful, you will truly be missed

22. My heart is heavy and she is truly gonna be missed love you ShaNita Kelly

23. Melondy says:

She was my friend and I will miss her very much.

24. Im prayin for the family…si sad and unbelievable

25. RIP shanita Kelly my prayers go out to u an ur family

26. Thats so sad prayers to the family

27. Love and miss yuyu ShaNita Kelly W.I.P walk in paridise mommas love yu and we will meet again my friend, by the grace of God!

28. Javon Blkberry Miller

29. Christopher McIntosh Sr.

30. Rip Nita ..U will be so missed

31. R.I.P baby girl.. You will be missed…

32. yoshani helton says:

my prayers go out to shanita family & other friends we really will miss you luv.. You are a luving and bless person.. and we will see you again…

33. Im so sorry my.love goes out to the family

34. So sad prayers for the family

35. Rip baby girl. I love you sis! !!

36. Reva Ellison Reva Ellison says:

Many prays to her family god bless them at this trouble time amen

37. Crystal Live Crystal Live says:

Prayers go out to her family and friends

38. ashley lewis says:

SMH

39. Sending My Condolences To The Family, My Heart Goes Out To You Lil Cuzzin J.J. I’m Here Just a Phone Call Away, Love You!❤️

40. RIP, Love the Prevost Family.

41. Felicia G says:

Rest easy Babygirl you will never be forgotten! Your with God know!! Watch over us all Pls..

42. Is anyone going.to do a vigil for her. When and where

43. Young OG Young OG says:

All I see is shootings and accidents in lancaster. Watts goin on out there? Careless

44. Bless her heart. Poor thing this is so sad :( My condolences to the family. RIP Shanita

45. Prayers to her young boys and family. ..

46. Vina says:

R.I.P I still find this hard to believe

47. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

48. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

49. tylisa harris says:

Rest in paradise shanita I love you

50. Sonya Blake says:

R.I.P. Shanita.
    MISS ME – BUT LET ME GO
    When I come to the end of the road
    And the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
    Why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little–but not too long
    And not with your head bowed low.
    Remember the love that we once shared
    Miss me–but let me go.
    For this is a journey that we all must take
    And each must go alone. It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
    A step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart
    Go to the friends we know
    And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
    Miss Me – But Let me Go!

Author Unknown

See you on the other side. Cousin Sonya Fort Worth Texas

51. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

52. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

53. CeeCee says:

Lovebug you will be missed and cherished!!! Enjoyed working with you and kicking it acting crazee and talking funnee mess!!! May God keep your family as they mourn and celebrate your life with them on earth and prepare them for your homegoing!!!

54. O’ JESUS !! My prayers go out to the family!

55. Charlotte Taylor says:

My condolences goes out to the family

56. Prayers go out to the family.

57. Prayers go out to the family.

58. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

59. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

60. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

61. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

62. Rip I haven’t seen this girl in years but I prey for her family and her little bots that she left behind may you rest in peace angel and watch over your boys you will be missed truly

63. Ms. Sanders says:

See was not a single parent she has to boys by my cousin and the were very much together as a family… People really need to stop all the negative talk. My cousin just lost his father a couple of days before Christmas now this, it don’t matter what kind of turn she made when God calls you home it time to goooooo… People get shoot in they’re head and don’t die

64. Raye says:

omg rip to a fallen friend/ class mate truly an angle

65. RIP Shanita, watch over your boys and family as your loss is truly felt.

66. Soo Cali JB Soo Cali JB says:

Rip prayers for the Lil men an the family .. :(

• yung tay says:

Rest in peace baby girl god bless your family and friends much love to who ever lost a love one it not an easy thing to deal with

67. prayers going out to the family #RIP

68. This poor girl she was probly speeding and lost control may she rip

69. Chris Botros Chris Botros says:

I saw the car yesterday exiting the freeway I was going to work as well

70. Shanti Redus Shanti Redus says:

My entire soul hurts. Your family your kids I am so sorry this happen to you.

71. R.I.P BABY!! WE LOVE AND MISS U

72. Missy Virgo Missy Virgo says:

Rip prayers going up 2 family & friends

73. Lashon says:

This was my sis in law!!! Wonderful mother… Loving spouse and a great friend to a lot of ppl. Please have respect for the family and keep them in prayer #loveyanita

74. Rip, prayers going up for your family

75. Kisha Fowler says:

RIP Shanita Kelly it was a pleasure knowing you i am still in disbelief right now and to the family may god bless each and everyone of you with strength to deal with this tragedy.

76. Ashley Wiggins says:

I loved this women’s voice. She sung praises to God. Im sorry that her family has to go thru such a horrible thing. Im praying for you all and she’s with God resting in peace.

77. Damm R.I.P to the home girl Shanita

78. Didn’t know her but my prayers are with u and all the family how horrible may god be by all of ur sides love u all

79. keymona crawford says:

I am praying for the family and her kids please the family binb ur prayers.

80. Marina De La Rosa says:

you guys just pray for him ! This is not what Shanita would want to hear at all. If he thinks she was “not driving safe” let him only God and Shanita knows what happen that night ! She was not under any type of drugs or alcohol so that’s all that matters. He’s showing real ignorance so let him. Please
    Love you Nita

81. Sally T. says:

OMGoodness…
    It saddened me very much, when I read about this tragedy BUT even more so, when I reached the comments section.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this such YOUNG, YOUNG lady. I’m very truly sorry for your loss. She was SOOO YOUNG…you have my deepest sympathy.

On a different note: (I’ve gotta say something)

Okay “Ms. People Need to Slow Down”.
    I will TRY to be nice, in respect to the young lady and all her loved ones.
    I do realize that maybe you’re trying to prove a point, but it’s a little inappropriate doing it here. Speeding wasn’t the issue and as for the “unsafe turn”, maybe there was no other way to make that turn. (read below)

Have you ever driven on that particular area of the 14 freeway?

-Its dark as F. (there are NO LIGHTS)
    -If raining, lanes become INVISIBLE – (lanes are hard to see since this area usually gets flooded (including on and off ramps))
    -If raining, vehicles seem to be more susceptible to hydroplaining in that particular area.
    -When there’s fog, that visibility IS GONE.
    -AND, Its dark as F!

—I am “almost” twice the age of this young lady and “I HAVE SLOWED TF DOWN”.

—I also drive the safest to my own ability, BUT I would drive much safer if that area had SOME KIND of lighting.

*Maybe that’s why cops choose this area to lurk around for their speed traps – BECAUSE IT IS DARK AS F AROUND THERE!!

82. Sally T. says:

My attention was distracted by my anger toward the “slow down comment”, and I do apologize for my tone in my previous comment.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, and my heart goes out to the young boys. They will be in my prayers.

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018
2 from SCV Netted in Major East Coast Drug Bust
The dismantling of a multi-state drug trafficking organization that used the U.S. Postal Service to mail packages of crystal methamphetamine and marijuana from California to traffickers in Pennsylvania since at least April 2016 - and the arrests of five leaders who spearheaded the corrupt organization, including two from the Santa Clarita Valley - were announced Wednesday by Montgomery County (Penn.) District Attorney Kevin R. Steele.
Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018
Small Brush Fire in Newhall Quickly Doused
Los Angeles County Fire Department firefighters quickly extinguished a 1/4-acre brush fire in Newhall early Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018
Deputies Step Up Pedestrian, Bike Safety Enforcement Today
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is stepping up bike and pedestrian safety enforcement operations in the Santa Clarita Valley today, officials announced this morning.

2 from SCV Netted in Major East Coast Drug Bust
With The Master's University's 2018 baseball season about to begin, TMU Sports Information Director Mason Nesbitt offers a preview.
TMU Previews Mustangs’ 2018 Baseball Season
Several CalArtians are among the Chicago-based United States Artists' annual fellowship class of 45 artists and collaboratives who will each receive an unrestricted $50,000 grant for their respective art practices.
CalArtians Among United States Artists’ New Fellowship Class
The TMU Mustangs' men's basketball team, on a 17-game winning streak, has moved up to No. 4 in the NAIA Division 1 Men's Basketball Coaches' Poll.
TMU Men’s Hoops Team Up to No. 4 in NAIA Coaches’ Poll
Tuesday night's 93-37 rout of St. Katherine University was more than just a non-conference tune-up for the TMU women's basketball team.
Master’s Women’s Hoops Team Shoots Down Firebirds
iLEAD Schools will honor College of the Canyons Chancellor Dr. Dianne Van Hook with its 'Vision in Education' award at the Santa Clarita Valley International School’s annual benefit dinner on March 10.
iLEAD to Honor COC’s Van Hook with 2018 ‘Vision in Education’ Award
Small Brush Fire in Newhall Quickly Doused
Los Angeles County Assessor Jeffrey Prang and the county Board of Supervisors have proclaimed January "Homeowners' Exemption Awareness Month" promote the county's property tax savings program.
County Officials:  January is ‘Homeowners’ Tax Exemption Awareness Month’
In an effort to provide support to local communities affected by the recent hurricanes in the Caribbean, and after the sell-out of the inaugural group on the January 20 Crown Princess sailing, Princess Cruises and Fathom Travel are adding two additional spring sailings in 2018.
Princess Adds More Caribbean Cruises for Spring 2018
California State University, Northridge journalism professor David Blumenkrantz documents the stories of the homeless of Los Angeles in an art exhibition titled “Street Scenes: Making the Homeless Count,” on display at the San Fernando Valley Arts and Cultural Center in Tarzana through Jan. 27.
CSUN Prof Uses Grant to Illuminate Homelessness in LA
Host College of the Canyons rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit to defeat the visiting Seahawks of Los Angeles Harbor College 96-82 on Saturday evening.
Cougars Win Third Straight with 96-82 Victory Over L.A. Harbor
Deputies Step Up Pedestrian, Bike Safety Enforcement Today
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies checking on businesses after hours arrested two people on drug charges in separate incidents in Canyon Country on Monday and Newhall on Tuesday.
Deputies Check Businesses After Hours, Arrest 2 on Drug Charges
A Canyon Country man was killed and three people injured in a high-speed traffic collision on Golden Valley Road at Dorothy Street in the unincorporated area of the Santa Clarita Valley late Tuesday night, according to the CHP.
High-Speed Crash in SCV Leaves 1 Dead, 3 Injured
The U.S. Justice Department is appealing a court order that blocked the Trump administration from shutting down a program that shields more than 700,000 young immigrants from deportation.
Justice Dept. to Appeal Ruling That Blocked DACA Shutdown
A Los Angeles County sheriff’s officer was arrested Tuesday and charged with taking bribes 'to oversee the delivery of narcotics,' federal prosecutors said.
Dirty LA Sheriff’s Officer Busted for Drugs, FBI Says
The cost of the first phase of California’s high-speed rail project through the state’s Central Valley has soared by 35 percent to $10.6 billion, officials disclosed Tuesday.
California Bullet Train Cost Climbs by $2.8 Billion
Dozens of attorneys general including California's filed a petition Tuesday challenging the Federal Communication Commission’s recent decision to roll back net neutrality rules.
State AG’s Sue FCC to Block Net Neutrality Rollback
1994, 4:31 a.m. - Magnitude 6.7 Northridge earthquake rocks Santa Clarita Valley [video]
More than 4,000 newborns in Los Angeles, including some in the SCV, will be sporting little red caps, instead of the traditional pink or blue, as part of the American Heart Association’s Little Hats, Big Hearts program aimed at bringing attention to heart disease.
Newborns to Sport Little Red Caps as Part of AHA Campaign
College of the Canyons Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will be hosting a two-part Business Events and Training Webinar Jan. 24 (Part 1) and Jan. 31 (Part 2) from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Jan. 24, 31: Start, Grow Your E-Commerce Empire Webinar
The Santa Clarita Valley Veteran Center has found a permanent home in Newhall.
SCV Veteran Center Finds Permanent Home
The California Enterprise Development Authority will be holding a Teleconference Meeting Thursday at 10:30 a.m.
Jan. 18: CEDA Teleconference Meeting
The Oversight Board to the Former Redevelopment Agency of the city of Santa Clarita will hold its Regular Meeting Thursday at 3:30 p.m.
Jan. 18: Oversight Board to the Former Redevelopment Agency Regular Meeting
NORTHRIDGE, Calif - The 2018 CSUN Water Polo season presents the opportunity for the Matadors to take the next step.
Matadors Start 2018 Water Polo Season Ranked No. 21
Santa Clarita Valley International (SCVi), a free public charter school serving grades TK through 12, will host an informational session Thursday for current and prospective high school students in the school’s Shakespeare Theatre at 28060 Hasley Canyon Road in Castaic, the school announced Tuesday.
Jan. 18: SCVi Open House, High School Information Session
Commercials, television shows, and a short film are all being filmed in Santa Clarita this week.
Currently Filming in SCV: Shadow Wolves, Seal Team, Toyota Commercial
SACRAMENTO – Attorney General Xavier Becerra joined a bipartisan group of 18 state attorneys general Tuesday in urging Congress to advance legislation that will enable the cannabis industry to participate in the banking system in states that have legalized medicinal or adult use of cannabis.
Becerra, State AGs Press Congress to Let Cannabis Biz Use Banks
The 25th Anniversary of the City of Santa Clarita’s annual Cowboy Festival, presented by Heritage Sierra Medical Group, is set for Apr. 19 - Apr. 22.
Dates Set for Cowboy Festival’s 25th Anniversary
College of the Canyons, in partnership with the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center, will host a free “Family Caregivers Essentials” workshop on Saturday, Jan. 27 at the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center.
Jan. 27: Family Caregiver Workshop at SCV Senior Center
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - As the California High-Speed Rail Authority continues to move from the planning phase to full construction of the nation’s first high-speed rail system, the Board of Directors announced Tuesday that it has selected a new Chief Executive Officer, Brian P. Kelly, to lead the organization, effective Feb. 1.
Brian P. Kelly Named New High-Speed Rail Authority CEO
During her first 25 years in the Santa Clarita Valley, Betty served on the board of the Child and Family Center. She was also a volunteer for the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, the SCV Chamber of Commerce, the Zonta Club of SCV, the SCV Boys and Girls Club, and the local Elks Lodge.
Seldner, 2000 SCV Woman of the Year, Dies at 94
1926 - Newhall Community Hospital, est. 1922, opens in larger, more modern hospital building at 6th & Spruce streets [story]
The cities of Santa Clarita, Piru, Fillmore, Bardsdale and Santa Paula along with National Historic Site Rancho Camulos will mark the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam Disaster with special events throughout March 2018.
St. Francis Dam Disaster 90th Anniversary Events Set for March
A man arrested for allegedly burglarizing a Walmart Monday morning posted bail, then was soon arrested again for allegedly vandalizing the Valencia Library, according to officials.
Man Arrested After Alleged Walmart Burglary, Library Vandalism