Partly sunny
Partly sunny

June 24
1980 - Saugus Train Station relocated to Heritage Junction [story]

| Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014
Lancaster Woman Killed In 14 Freeway Crash Monday Night
Photo: Rick McClure

A Lancaster woman was killed in a single-car crash Monday night after she lost control of her car on southbound Highway 14.

The accident occurred at 9:31 p.m. north of Newhall Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol report.

The 25-year-old woman was identified and her family has been notified but coroner’s officials could not release the woman’s name pending notification of her legal next of kin, said Capt. John Kades of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The woman was driving a 2003 Chevy and made an unsafe turn which cause her to lose control of the car, according to the CHP report. The car veered off the roadway, slammed into a guardrail, became airborne and then rolled several times, landing on it’s roof on a dirt embankment on the side of the road on Newhall Ave.

Both CHP and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

This collision is still under investigation and drug or alcohol impairment are not believed to be a factor at this time, according to the CHP report.

1. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

People need to slow down

2. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

Drove past this really sad rip.

3. This explains the helicopters last night. My condolences the the family. So sad.

4. Rosie Romero Rosie Romero says:

Lucy Romero Porsche Jones

5. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

hearbreaking….prayers up

6. Really sad. We know the family she left behind 2 young boys (2 & 5.) she was on her way to work in Valencia.

She wasn’t speeding. Sadly CHP believes she fell asleep.

7. I thought it was one of the numerous potholes all over town as well as the 14 fwy…what’s up with that ?

8. Nick Mills Nick Mills says:

Theres a car seat she has a baby that sucks bigtime for the kid

9. Ashley Melissa Zetina

10. Diane Candelaria-Contreras

11. So sad to hear this :(

12. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

Prayers to the family.

13. So sad, prayers to her family:( may God always be with them and heal their heavy hearts

14. Jah Triplett Jah Triplett says:

Dammm life is to short I’m sorry for your loss coach Terron Kelly Sr. Ur family in my prayers

15. Very sad prayers to her family

16. ShaNita Kelly rest easy we gone miss you

17. You’ll be miss ShaNita Kelly love you girlie your in heaven now.

18. For those of you who don’t know please do not speak thank you! She was not speeding!

19. RIP ShaNita Kelly my prayers to your sons and family

20. My sister. I can’t believe you’re gone.

21. Rest well beautiful, you will truly be missed

22. My heart is heavy and she is truly gonna be missed love you ShaNita Kelly

23. Melondy says:

She was my friend and I will miss her very much.

24. Im prayin for the family…si sad and unbelievable

25. RIP shanita Kelly my prayers go out to u an ur family

26. Thats so sad prayers to the family

27. Love and miss yuyu ShaNita Kelly W.I.P walk in paridise mommas love yu and we will meet again my friend, by the grace of God!

28. Javon Blkberry Miller

29. Christopher McIntosh Sr.

30. Rip Nita ..U will be so missed

31. R.I.P baby girl.. You will be missed…

32. yoshani helton says:

my prayers go out to shanita family & other friends we really will miss you luv.. You are a luving and bless person.. and we will see you again…

33. Im so sorry my.love goes out to the family

34. So sad prayers for the family

35. Rip baby girl. I love you sis! !!

36. Reva Ellison Reva Ellison says:

Many prays to her family god bless them at this trouble time amen

37. Crystal Live Crystal Live says:

Prayers go out to her family and friends

38. ashley lewis says:

SMH

39. Sending My Condolences To The Family, My Heart Goes Out To You Lil Cuzzin J.J. I’m Here Just a Phone Call Away, Love You!❤️

40. RIP, Love the Prevost Family.

41. Felicia G says:

Rest easy Babygirl you will never be forgotten! Your with God know!! Watch over us all Pls..

42. Is anyone going.to do a vigil for her. When and where

43. Young OG Young OG says:

All I see is shootings and accidents in lancaster. Watts goin on out there? Careless

44. Bless her heart. Poor thing this is so sad :( My condolences to the family. RIP Shanita

45. Prayers to her young boys and family. ..

46. Vina says:

R.I.P I still find this hard to believe

47. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

48. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

49. tylisa harris says:

Rest in paradise shanita I love you

50. Sonya Blake says:

R.I.P. Shanita.
    MISS ME – BUT LET ME GO
    When I come to the end of the road
    And the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
    Why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little–but not too long
    And not with your head bowed low.
    Remember the love that we once shared
    Miss me–but let me go.
    For this is a journey that we all must take
    And each must go alone. It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
    A step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart
    Go to the friends we know
    And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
    Miss Me – But Let me Go!

Author Unknown

See you on the other side. Cousin Sonya Fort Worth Texas

51. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

52. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

53. CeeCee says:

Lovebug you will be missed and cherished!!! Enjoyed working with you and kicking it acting crazee and talking funnee mess!!! May God keep your family as they mourn and celebrate your life with them on earth and prepare them for your homegoing!!!

54. O’ JESUS !! My prayers go out to the family!

55. Charlotte Taylor says:

My condolences goes out to the family

56. Prayers go out to the family.

57. Prayers go out to the family.

58. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

59. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

60. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

61. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

62. Rip I haven’t seen this girl in years but I prey for her family and her little bots that she left behind may you rest in peace angel and watch over your boys you will be missed truly

63. Ms. Sanders says:

See was not a single parent she has to boys by my cousin and the were very much together as a family… People really need to stop all the negative talk. My cousin just lost his father a couple of days before Christmas now this, it don’t matter what kind of turn she made when God calls you home it time to goooooo… People get shoot in they’re head and don’t die

64. Raye says:

omg rip to a fallen friend/ class mate truly an angle

65. RIP Shanita, watch over your boys and family as your loss is truly felt.

66. Soo Cali JB Soo Cali JB says:

Rip prayers for the Lil men an the family .. :(

• yung tay says:

Rest in peace baby girl god bless your family and friends much love to who ever lost a love one it not an easy thing to deal with

67. prayers going out to the family #RIP

68. This poor girl she was probly speeding and lost control may she rip

69. Chris Botros Chris Botros says:

I saw the car yesterday exiting the freeway I was going to work as well

70. Shanti Redus Shanti Redus says:

My entire soul hurts. Your family your kids I am so sorry this happen to you.

71. R.I.P BABY!! WE LOVE AND MISS U

72. Missy Virgo Missy Virgo says:

Rip prayers going up 2 family & friends

73. Lashon says:

This was my sis in law!!! Wonderful mother… Loving spouse and a great friend to a lot of ppl. Please have respect for the family and keep them in prayer #loveyanita

74. Rip, prayers going up for your family

75. Kisha Fowler says:

RIP Shanita Kelly it was a pleasure knowing you i am still in disbelief right now and to the family may god bless each and everyone of you with strength to deal with this tragedy.

76. Ashley Wiggins says:

I loved this women’s voice. She sung praises to God. Im sorry that her family has to go thru such a horrible thing. Im praying for you all and she’s with God resting in peace.

77. Damm R.I.P to the home girl Shanita

78. Didn’t know her but my prayers are with u and all the family how horrible may god be by all of ur sides love u all

79. keymona crawford says:

I am praying for the family and her kids please the family binb ur prayers.

80. Marina De La Rosa says:

you guys just pray for him ! This is not what Shanita would want to hear at all. If he thinks she was “not driving safe” let him only God and Shanita knows what happen that night ! She was not under any type of drugs or alcohol so that’s all that matters. He’s showing real ignorance so let him. Please
    Love you Nita

81. Sally T. says:

OMGoodness…
    It saddened me very much, when I read about this tragedy BUT even more so, when I reached the comments section.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this such YOUNG, YOUNG lady. I’m very truly sorry for your loss. She was SOOO YOUNG…you have my deepest sympathy.

On a different note: (I’ve gotta say something)

Okay “Ms. People Need to Slow Down”.
    I will TRY to be nice, in respect to the young lady and all her loved ones.
    I do realize that maybe you’re trying to prove a point, but it’s a little inappropriate doing it here. Speeding wasn’t the issue and as for the “unsafe turn”, maybe there was no other way to make that turn. (read below)

Have you ever driven on that particular area of the 14 freeway?

-Its dark as F. (there are NO LIGHTS)
    -If raining, lanes become INVISIBLE – (lanes are hard to see since this area usually gets flooded (including on and off ramps))
    -If raining, vehicles seem to be more susceptible to hydroplaining in that particular area.
    -When there’s fog, that visibility IS GONE.
    -AND, Its dark as F!

—I am “almost” twice the age of this young lady and “I HAVE SLOWED TF DOWN”.

—I also drive the safest to my own ability, BUT I would drive much safer if that area had SOME KIND of lighting.

*Maybe that’s why cops choose this area to lurk around for their speed traps – BECAUSE IT IS DARK AS F AROUND THERE!!

82. Sally T. says:

My attention was distracted by my anger toward the “slow down comment”, and I do apologize for my tone in my previous comment.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, and my heart goes out to the young boys. They will be in my prayers.

Friday, Jun 22, 2018
USA Today: Six Flags Magic Mountain No. 1 Theme Park
After four weeks of spirited voting, USA Today announced Friday that readers have voted Six Flags Magic Mountain the winner of the 2018 Best Theme Park contest.
Friday, Jun 22, 2018
After Firearms Raid, Acosta Calls for More Law Enforcement Funding
The state of California has a list of more than 10,000 known individuals in illegal possession of firearms, but has not provided adequate resources for law enforcement to recover their weapons, Assemblyman Dante Acosta (R-Santa Clarita) said in a statement Friday.
Friday, Jun 22, 2018
Study: Prop. 47 Decreased Racial Disparities in Drug Arrests
A voter-approved ballot measure aimed at reducing California’s prison population and ending racial disparities in the war on drugs has produced most of the cost-saving, equity-focused results it promised, with some exceptions, according to a study published Thursday.

1980 - Saugus Train Station relocated to Heritage Junction [story]
1946, 11:20pm: William S. Hart, 81, dies at L.A.'s California Lutheran Hospital, leaving his Newhall home and 80-acre estate to L.A. County [story]
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan announced the sixth ballot counting update for the June 5 Statewide Direct Primary Election on Friday.
Sixth Election Results Update for June 5 Primary Election
The Master's University women's cross country team released its 2018 schedule Friday, the highlight coming Nov. 3 when it hosts the Golden State Athletic Conference Championships at Central Park in Saugus.
TMU Women’s Cross Country Releases 2018 Schedule
Minimum wage laws change July 1, so the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation and SCV law firm Poole & Shaffery, LLP will present a "Minimum Wage Forum" at College of the Canyons' University Center on Wednesday, August 1 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
August 1: Minimum Wage Forum at COC University Center
Allison Needham of the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation outlines the top five digital trends shaping 2018 so far.
It’s Personal: 5 Digital Trends Shaping 2018
The Robert T. Brentnall Pawsibilities Foundation, a Santa Clarita-based nonprofit animal rescue organization (Tax ID# is 47-5634745), is asking the community to help a family with a litter of German shepherd puppies, by adopting one or donating funds to help care for them.
Animal Rescue Group Seeks Help for German Shepherd Puppies
CalArts School of Art faculty member Shirley Tse will represent Hong Kong at the 2019 Venice Biennale in Venice, Italy, happening now through November 2019.
CalArts’ Shirley Tse to Represent Hong Kong at Venice Biennale
University administrators are falling short in their responsibilities to swiftly hold accountable staff and faculty named in sexual violence complaints and align disciplinary policies with federal guidelines, according to a state audit released Thursday of three University of California campuses.
UCLA, 2 More UC Campuses Faulted for Sex Misconduct Process
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is proud to announce commitments from four additional industry partners – AMC Networks, Moving Picture Institute, Telsey + Company, and Xperi – to participate in Academy Gold, an entertainment industry-wide internship enhancement and mentorship program for students and young professionals from underrepresented communities.
Academy Launches Summer ‘Gold’ Diversity Internships
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in their meeting Tuesday will consider a motion urging California to create an emblem program for licensed cannabis stores so consumers will know which stores are legal.
Supes Propose Statewide Cannabis Store Licensing Program
The JetHawks began the second half of the 2018 season with a win, beating Inland Empire, 7-5, at The Hangar Thursday night.
JetHawks Start Strong in Second Half, Beat IE 7-5
USA Today: Six Flags Magic Mountain No. 1 Theme Park
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, June 26, starting at 9:30 a.m.
June 26: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
After Firearms Raid, Acosta Calls for More Law Enforcement Funding
Study: Prop. 47 Decreased Racial Disparities in Drug Arrests
A Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputy reportedly clocked a Las Vegas woman driving 93 miles an hour near the Saugus Speedway and arrested her on charges of excessive speed and reckless driving late Wednesday night.
Nevada Woman Arrested for Speeding, Reckless Driving in Saugus
1972 - Vasquez Rocks added to National Register of Historic Places [list]
The ARTree still has openings for next week's Junior Arts Sampler and "I Made That!" pastel classes.
ARTree Summer Classes Still Available
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session, Monday, June 25, at 6:30 p.m.
June 25: Arts Commission Study Session
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold a teleconference meeting, Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
June 28: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a special meeting Tuesday, June 26, at 5:30 p.m.
June 26: Santa Clarita City Council Special Meeting
Firefighters are battling a brush fire at the Sunshine Canyon Landfill that started around 3:00 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters Battling 1-2 Acre Fire Near Newhall Pass
Glenn Frankel and Keri Walsh have been named 2018 Academy Film Scholars by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Academy Honors 2018 Film Scholars
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce and Sweat Box Sauna Bar as they celebrate the opening of their new location.
June 27: Grand Opening Celebration Sweat Box Sauna Bar
Fresh Mustang connections to Major League Baseball didn't end with the draft earlier this month. Master's graduate David Sheaffer, who transferred before his final collegiate season to pursue an international MBA program, signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Mariners on June 10.
TMU Alum Signs with Seattle Mariners
There are spots still available on the Saugus Spartans Football program for kids between the ages of 6-8 years old.
Spots Still Open on Saugus Spartans Football Program
An already extremely tight inventory bumped into rising interest rates to further complicate home sales during May in the Santa Clarita Valley, which saw drops in home and condominium closed escrows compared to a year ago, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported Thursday.
SCV Home, Condo Sales Drop Amid Tight Inventory, Rising Interest Rates
Detectives from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station are looking for a male suspect who stole a tip jar from a local coffee shop. Details below are from the Facebook page of the SCV Sheriff's Station:
Detectives Seek Public’s Help in Nabbing Tip Jar Thief
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting. There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.
July 28: Children’s Bureau Foster Care, Adoption Information Meeting
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will be conducting a specialized Motorcycle Safety Enforcement Operation on Friday, June 22, in the city of Santa Clarita in an effort to lower deaths and injuries.
LASD to Conduct Specialized Motorcycle Safety Operation
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for all individuals in Santa Clarita Valley and for sensitive individuals in East San Gabriel Valley area tomorrow, Friday, June 22.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody). [story]
CalArts alumna and faculty member Brigette Barrager (BFA Film/Video 07) was awarded the Christopher Award for Distinguished Achievement for her illustration of "Pocket Full of Colors."
CalArts Faculty Brigette Barrager Wins Christopher Award
"Window Lace," the first exhibit by CalArts students to be presented at the Westfield Valencia Town Center Mall, is now open on the mall's first floor across from H&M and will be on display through the end of summer 2018.
CalArts Opens its First Art Exhibit at Westfield Valencia Mall
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that Jennifer Todd has won the runoff election for the open Producers Branch seat on the 2018–19 Board of Governors.
Producer Jennifer Todd Voted to Academy Board of Governors