Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

September 19
1863 - Gen. Edward F. Beale loans money to A.A. Hudson and Oliver P. Robbins to erect toll house in Newhall Pass [story]

| Saturday, Jan 3, 2015
quake010314

Castaic was rocked by a 4.2-magnitude earthquake Saturday at 7:18 p.m.

It was initially reported as 4.5 but was downgraded about 40 minutes later.

The shaker hit 6.6 miles north of the Castaic Lake dam at a reported depth of 8.9 km (about 5 miles).

It was preceded by a 3.0 shock at 6:58 p.m. and followed by several aftershocks, the largest measuring 2.5.

A considerably smaller quake hit roughly the same area Tuesday afternoon. That one had a reported magnitude of 3.1.

quake2_010314sanandreas010314

1. What does the depth mean in terms of the severity of a quake? Anyone? :)

2. Felt pretty good here in AV.

3. I thought the deeper it is, the less it’s felt

4. Definitely felt it here in Sand Canyon.

5. Shook my house pretty good in Lancaster

6. There were two jolts here too in Saugus.

7. Michael the deeper one was felt in Lancaster while the more shallow one wasn’t. It also depends on how strong it was.

8. I felt it – one big jolt and shook my place good here in Valencia.

9. David Potter David Potter says:

There was a 3.0 about 20 minutes before this one, very close to the same epicenter. I sort of felt/heard it, but didn’t bother to look it up until the 4.5. I encourage people to do the “Did you feel it?” survey from the USGS site.

10. psh, you call that an earthquake. come at me.

11. I’m in Castaic Junction. I felt one large jolt at the beginning of the 4.5. I didn’t feel the 3.0.

12. had about a 3 second shake here in Acton. I heard it coming through the hills – thought it was the wind at frist, until we started shaking.

13. David Borow David Borow says:

The deeper the quake the less it’s felt. As well as the damage.

14. Only 5 miles deep- sheish.

15. Mike Bryant Mike Bryant says:

Mary, you all okay?

16. Vicky Hull Vicky Hull says:

My pop felt it in Palmdale too

17. Terry Roque..Jennifer Ortiz. .Laura Tellez

18. Felt it in the Kern Valley!

19. Oh boy, I am not ready for this.

20. Bob Buechner Bob Buechner says:

Northridge quake was 10 miles deep….

21. Dawn Mahan Dawn Mahan says:

Good Rumble & Shakin for 7-10 seconds next to Lombardi Ranch on Bouquet

22. Nora Morales Nora Morales says:

Felt it in Tehachapi

23. Didn’t feel the first one, but the SECOND really rocked our RV….

24. Mike Weaver Mike Weaver says:

I didn’t feel anything here in canyon country

25. SAT 7:58PM – Castaic quake downgraded to 4.2

26. Be safe my dear friend.

27. Terry Roque Terry Roque says:

I didn’t feel it. . It was closer to you Silvia Echeverria

28. As of 8pm there have been 8 aftershocks from the 4.5 quake, ranging in size from 2.4 to 1.0.

29. David Devlin David Devlin says:

Didn’t feel it at Sam’s Club

30. Didn’t feel a thing. Canyon country

31. Ja D Jones Ja D Jones says:

Calm down. The wind blew harder the other day.

32. Felt it and heard it in Agua Dulce

33. It felt hard in canyon country.

34. It rocked? Didn’t even feel it! Lol

35. Brian Beedle Brian Beedle says:

Anyone know the distance to the San Andreas fault from there? Just curious…

36. Pabloe Pando Pabloe Pando says:

I was working out doing some squats. .I thought I made the place shake hitting my max..guess not

37. Husband felt it in valencia

38. Jodie Pieper Jodie Pieper says:

Shook my bed pretty hard here in Castaic

39. Soo cray…didn’t feel it and I was in castaic yet my sis and parents felt it in north Valencia

40. Felt 1 in canyon country

41. Nano Nancy Galloway Mowry

42. Lake Hughes felt it, my house sits directly on top of the fault line, it was about 10 miles away as the crow flies.

43. Karen Keith Karen Keith says:

Heard it more then feeling it in PALMDALE

44. Sitting on my back patio in cyn ctry. Felt 1- pretty good jolt.

45. I didn’t feel it here

46. Jeri Cook Jeri Cook says:

I didn’t feel a thing!!!

47. The map says it happened on January the 4 th 2015 isn’t today the 3 rd

48. Leisa Dott Leisa Dott says:

Stay safe my Santa Clarita/Castaic lovies…..oxoxox

49. I felt it!!! I’m in saugus….didn’t feel horrifying, but I also went through the 7.5 in landers. Easy money. Just stay safe incase something crazier happens. It’s not THAT big of a deal ;-)

50. Didn’t feel a thing in Ohio!

51. Yes….living in Castaic is SO exciting! !

52. Didn’t feel it in Canyon Country

53. Felt it in West Palmdale…

54. Jean Stevens Jean Stevens says:

Does that mean the pass has rocks on the i/5?

55. Zachary Antinelli you were right!!

56. Zachary Antinelli you were right!!

57. David Kelley David Kelley says:

My jelly jars were rattling

58. David Kelley David Kelley says:

My jelly jars were rattling

59. Felt in Simi, as friends reported.

60. …and we are all doing fine up here in Castaic…no worries. :)

61. …and we are all doing fine up here in Castaic…no worries. :)

62. Well seems like the magnitudes are increasing with each quake. Be safe and alert folks!

63. Well seems like the magnitudes are increasing with each quake. Be safe and alert folks!

64. Zoe Davis Zoe Davis says:

I’m sorry folks I use to live on Ferguson Rd I miss it there you all stay safe and be careful

65. Which is approximately 25 miles from the San Andreas Fault… Just saying

66. It hit hard and fast! Gave us a bit of realty to make sure we have what we need!

67. I never felt anything… But the dog was acting crazy.

68. kaalah says:

I live in Castaic and i didnt feel it i heard it. Stuff fell off my shelf n wondow shook almost like it was just windy out side

69. This maybe California’s year that everybody been talking about since I was a little girl an that’s been along time ago. Nevada maybe ocean front property before we no it just saying folks.

70. A shallow depth means you can feel more shaking at the surface!

71. Lol called my family they didn’t feel a thing lol

72. Vincent Bush Vincent Bush says:

Didn’t feel it on the western side of The Yellowstone Caldera.

73. Adam Arizpe Adam Arizpe says:

Danger.danger.danger..stay safe..

74. Lyra Done Lyra Done' says:

I know those earthquakes are scary. But I would trade. I hate Tornadoes! We’ve had Tornadoes all around us here in Alabama. Most people do not have basement houses, so there is no where to run. Just get in closet and hope for best.

75. Micheala Johanson says:

Not me. I survived the Northridge Earthquake and it has stayed well encased in my mind. We have Tornadoes here in Ohio and in Minnesota where I lived for a long time. We also had Tornado warnings, bad skies, change in the temperatures, etc. In other words Tornado weather. With the Northridge we had no earthquake warnings. If we ever have an earthquake like the early San Francisco earthquake we shall never forget it in out lifetime.

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
Sierra Vista Junior High School parents were notified Monday about an incident of a male suspect attempting to lure a student.
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
Monday, Sep 17, 2018
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Matthew L. Fielding, 25, of La Crescenta, was killed when his motorcycle collided with a car on Interstate 5 in the Newhall Pass on Sunday morning, according to the CHP.

Gibbon-Fest will take place Saturday, Oct. 13, from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., at the Gibbon Conservation Center, located at 19100 Esguerra Rd., Santa Clarita, 91390.
Oct. 13: Gibbon-Fest at Gibbon Conservation Center
The date has changed, but the SCV Senior Center's Touch-A-Truck event is still a landmark event for children and adults who are intrigued with vehicles of all sorts and uses.
Oct. 13: Touch-A-Truck Benefiting SCV Senior Center
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) meeting will be held Wednesday, Sept. 19, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sept. 19: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
BAKERSFIELD — College of the Canyons freshman Haruka Koda fired a round of 70 to earn medalist honors and lead the Lady Cougars to a third straight Western State Conference (WSC) tourney victory on Monday at Kern River Golf Club.
Lady Cougars Bring Home 3rd Straight Western State Conference Tourney Win
The William S. Hart Union High School District's Parent and Student Empowerment (PASE) program presents, "Every Life Matters," Preventing Suicide in Teens & Children.
Sept. 20: Hart District’s PASE Presents ‘Every Life Matters’; Preventing Teen Suicides
The Michael Hoefflin Foundation is looking for volunteers for its upcoming 25th Annual Evening Under the Stars Gala Dinner and Charity Auction.
Michael Hoefflin Foundation In Need of Volunteers for Annual Gala
NORTHRIDGE - Over 60 Matadors spanning three teams took part in the 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day on Saturday. The CSUN Women's Soccer, Women's Water Polo and Women's Tennis teams all participated in the worldwide event in effort to give back and beautify their community.
Dozens of Matadors Take Part in 2018 Coastal Cleanup Day
IRVINE - For the second time in three weeks, CSUN's Daniel Trejo and Henrik Regitnig have swept the weekly Big West Conference men's soccer honors as the Matadors climbed to 13th in the Top Drawer Soccer Top 25 poll.
Pair of Matadors Sweep Big West Conference Awards
The Sheila R. Veloz Breast Center, a service of Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, announces a very special “fun and fit” event at the Santa Clarita Athletic Club on Friday, Oct. 12.
Oct. 12: Ride for a Cure – Fight Breast Cancer with Janet Cheveres
Jonslist.org, a registered 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to protecting animals and the environment, is having the First Annual Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest Saturday, Oct. 27, from 9:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.
Oct. 27: Five Knolls Halloween Dog Costume Contest
Enhanced Landscape Management, the maintenance division of Landscape Development Inc. (LDI) with headquarters located in Valencia, Calif., has concluded the asset purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc. (CLI) in Santa Clarita, Calif.
Landscape Development Inc. Concludes Purchase of Chateau Landscape Inc.
California State University, Northridge’s psychology professor Luciana Lagana received the Best Political Statement award at the Hollywood Dreamz International Film Festival, as well as the Phoenix Body of Work award at the 2018 Action on Film International Film Festival, for writing, directing and producing the documentary “Off the Streets for Good.”
CSUN Professor’s Documentary on Homelessness Garners Awards
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Sept. 10 – Sept. 16, 2018.
‘Lethal Weapon,’ ‘NCIS,’ ‘Trading Spaces’ Now Filming in SCV
The happy men of the SCV Men of Harmony Chorus are now preparing for their 42nd Annual A-capella Show and Ice Cream Social.
Oct. 13: SCV Men of Harmony Chorus A-capella Show, Ice Cream Social
School Issues Warning After Suspect Tries to Lure Student
1962 - Articles of incorporation filed for Golden State Memorial Hospital on Lyons Avenue [story]
Dodger outfielder Yasiel Puig has been named the National League Player of the Week presented by W.B. Mason for the period ending Sept. 16, the team announced Monday.
Dodgers’ Yasiel Puig Named National League Player of the Week
Writer, photographer and former CalArts Critical Studies faculty Janet Sternburg will present her first solo U.S. museum show, titled 'LIMBUS,' at USC’s Fisher Museum of Art from Sept. 18 to Dec. 1.
Sept. 18: Janet Sternburg to Open ‘LIMBUS’ at USC’s Fisher Museum
CalArts acting student Pricilla Chung's Instagram account caught the eye of New York Magazine’s fashion blog The Cut, and editors invited her to NYC for a photo shoot and feature write-up.
CalArts Acting Student Pricilla Jin Chung Makes ‘The Cut’
For a team with goals that can't be reached until November, it's all about the progression from one meet to another right now for The Master's University men's cross country team.
TMU Men’s Cross Country Keeps Building Toward Goals
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has unveiled its fall programming lineup for both Los Angeles and New York.
‘Exorcist’ 45th Anniversary, ‘Christmas Story’ Top Fall Academy Screenings
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and her Trail Blazers will host her second annual trail ride at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas on Sunday, Oct. 21.
Oct. 21: Barger’s Trail Blazers to Ride at Bonelli Regional Park
Mikala Fairchild led all Mustangs women's cross country runners at Saturday's UC Riverside Invitational, finishing 21st overall in the 5,000-meter open race.
Fairchild, Ghiorso Lead the Way for TMU Women’s Cross Country
The TMU Mustangs men's soccer team beat No. 14 Marymount California University 3-1 at El Camino College in Torrance on Saturday.
Mangan Leads Mustangs Past No. 14 Marymount Cal
Senior Hailey Gomillion scored in the 105th minute to lift No. 24 TMU to a 1-0 win over Marymount California University.
Gomillion’s Goal Lifts TMU to Win in 105th Minute
The Master's University women's volleyball team completed a sweep of No. 7 Westmont College on Saturday, ending the Warriors' 32-match winning streak in conference play.
Master’s Snaps Westmont’s 32-Match GSAC Win Streak
The Salvation Army Santa Clarita Valley Corps proudly marched in this year’s Agua Dulce Country Fair Parade on Saturday, with Envoys Jerry and Laura Bloom and the Salvation Army Kettle Bug leading a group of lively volunteers down the parade route.
Salvation Army Joins March in Agua Dulce Parade
The William S. Hart Union High School District needs a new member of the Measure SA Citizens’ Oversight Committee.
Hart District Seeks Member for Measure SA Oversight Panel
La Crescenta Motorcyclist Dies in I-5 Collision
Michael Foley began serving as the Executive Director of Bridge to Home on Monday, Sept. 17.
Michael Foley is New Bridge to Home Exec Director
A woman who was barricaded in a Castaic apartment after allegedly firing a gun during a welfare check in Castaic Friday afternoon surrendered to authorities after several hours of negotiation.
Barricaded Woman Surrenders in Castaic
A coalition of 56 state attorneys general including California's sent a letter to the U.S. Congress Monday calling on lawmakers to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
State AG’s Urge Feds to Renew Violence Against Women Act
California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. joined Baden-Württemberg Minister-President Winfried Kretschmann Saturday to sign an agreement establishing a sister state relationship between California and Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
Brown Signs Sister State Agreement with Baden-Württemberg, Germany
1879 - First official Newhall School building erected near Walnut & Ninth streets [story]