Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

January 15
1875 - Henry Mayo Newhall buys western half of the Santa Clarita Valley for $2 an acre [story]

City Council To Look At Red Light Camera Renewal In MarchCaltrans has established new rules for setting yellow-light times for red-light cameras around Los Angeles County.

The new ordinance requires yellow-light times to be set according to the actual speed of traffic and not what the posted speed limit says.

“Santa Clarita has had a policy for the last 10 years for being above the minimum Caltrans Uniform Traffic Control Devices Manual-required time of 3 seconds,” said Mark Hunter, a city transportation planning analyst. “The updated manual will only affect us a little, mostly having to do with left-turn lanes through intersections.”

Santa Clarita hired an independent consultant last February to sample left turns at 15 to 20 intersections to see if distances fit well with the allotted time the yellow light gives drivers to get through an intersection.

“Right now, extended yellow time is 3.5 seconds for the majority of protected left turns, and we did increase a few to 4 seconds to see what effect it would have,” Hunter said.

The intersections tested are Bouquet Canyon Road and Newhall Ranch Road, Newhall Ranch Road and Mcbean Parkway, and Soledad Canyon Road and Whites Canyon Road.

The McBean-Valencia intersection was also increased 1 full second from 3.5 to 4.5 seconds.

Early results of the test show a decrease of 70 percent in generated tickets, and the city lost $8,000 due to tests on yellow-light times, Hunter said.

The private consultant should be finished with its report and have official results next month.

Since the cameras were installed, the yearly average of broadside crashes are down 60 percent, injuries related to crashes are down 10 percent, and there have been no fatal collisions in any of the intersections since installation.

There are currently seven red light cameras in the city at the intersections of Lyons Avenue and Orchard Village Road, McBean Parkway and Valencia Boulevard, McBean and Magic Mountain Parkway, McBean and Newhall Ranch Road, Bouquet Canyon Road and Newhall Ranch Road, Bouquet and Seco Canyon Road, and Soledad Canyon Road and Whites Canyon Road.

“The city is still above the minimum, but we are trying to be more proactive, and if there is anything we can do to enhance safety, we will do that,” Hunter said.

1. Sabrina Laprade says:

This is an interesting article, seeing as how the tickets received in the mail are ‘voluntary’, and not legally enforceable.

2. THANK YOU!!!! It’s so annoying to hit every light!!!

3. The tickets received in the mail from these cameras are ‘voluntary’, and not legally enforceable.

4. Steve Rogers Steve Rogers says:

@Sabrina…
    What is your source for them being ‘voluntary’ and not legally enforceable?

5. @Sabrina….not voluntary….mandatory! My source, CHP.

6. Chris Brewer Chris Brewer says:

Every one can be beaten in court if you fight it. Ask for the officer that witnessed it happen and wrote the ticket to appear in court. Chances are, the ticket was processed outside of Santa Clarita. If so, it’s an illegal ticket. This being based on a bunch of info I’ve read fe lawyers regarding these stupid cameras.

7. Tom says:

Sabrina is correct. You do not have to pay these tickets. People think that they can be attached to your credit report, but they can’t. One, it has to be proven that the driver is the registered owner. By ignoring the ticket, this can never be proven. There is no evidence anywhere that these tickets have been attached to a credit report and a lien issued to make you pay it. It can not go on your driving record either because again, the court has to know who the driver was.

I have gotten a couple of these tickets and I will say I never paid them. I have gotten NO collection notices and my credit is fine. My driving record is still spotless.

CHP will tell you to pay them because they cannot be ethical in telling you not to. But they no the truth also. Even LASD knows.

8. Mary Cain Mary Cain says:

I beat my ticket, but not by ignoring it. That will just get you in more trouble. Acknowledge the ticket or you’ll be sorry.

• msc545 says:

No, you will not be sorry. I have ignored two so far and will continue to ignore camera tickets are they are illegal and thus unenforceable. Both tickets were issued to me for making legal left turns in intersections that didn’t happen fast enough to suit the machine. If I ever actually run a red light, something which I have never done, I will pay the ticket. Until that happens the City can go to hell.

• Actually a lot of ppl do just ignore the tickets and nothing happens. Lol they dont come after you.

• msc545 says:

Actually, if you in any way acknowledge that you might have been the driver or even show up in court for these kinds of tickets, you may just talk yourself into a hefty fine. Do you like paying $ 500.00 for making a legal left turn ? If not, throw the ticket away. There is nothing they can do.

• Mary Cain Mary Cain says:

Yes they do, it’s called collections.

• Mary Cain Mary Cain says:

Yes they do, it’s called collections.

• msc545 says:

Which means nothing, since it doesn’t appear on any of your credit reports. I know this because I checked mine – I’ve ignored two of these camera trap tickets, and there is nothing on any credit report. For each ticket, I got one collection letter and that was it. those were also put in the trash.

9. Brian Durand Brian Durand says:

I like what Chris said

10. Peter Temm Peter Temm says:

The purpose of these red light cameras is to generate revenue and has nothing to do with public safety

• Dena Jones Dena Jones says:

Then why would they change the timer on them? It says they lost $8,000

• msc545 says:

Apparently they were testing to see what would happen if they increased the yellow light time, in response to a new ordinance. The article doesn’t say WHAT ordinance, or who passed it, so I am not sure what the city did in testing this was compulsory or not. The story lacks a lot of important details.

I am, however, pretty sure that they didn’t expect to see a 70% decrease in tickets as a result of changing a few signal times, but there it is. I wonder if they will comply with the ordinance, or just quietly go back to shorter yellow lights and more tickets ?

11. I ignored two and they said nothing to me when i eas arrested recently so obviously they dont care that much

12. I ignored two and they said nothing to me when i eas arrested recently so obviously they dont care that much

13. I ignored two and they said nothing to me when i eas arrested recently so obviously they dont care that much

14. msc545 says:

“Early results of the test show a decrease of 70 percent in generated tickets, and the city lost $8,000 due to tests on yellow-light times”

Proving that the majority of camera tickets were in facts issued to people in the middle of LEGAL left turns in the intersections.

Now take the damn cameras out and let’s be done with the City trying to defraud its residents by issuing unnecessary, unenforceable tickets.

15. msc545 says:

The thing that keeps these cameras going, aside from the greed of the City and the company that runs the cameras, is the ignorance of people that believe that the tickets cannot be ignored. In fact, as the advice of my attorneys and my own experiences tell me, they can be safely ignored and should be. If enough people do this the cameras will come out.

• Leon Worden says:

But you’re making an excellent argument for keeping the cameras. Send tickets to ignorant people (your term) who just might pay them. The portion of the revenue that goes to the city helps pay for the parks & programs we all enjoy. Who better to pay for those things? And if people drive a little better along the way (which they do), what’s the harm? :)

• msc545 says:

It really is not a good argument to keep them. What the city is doing is dishonest, and taking advantage of people’s ignorance is simply wrong. People do not drive better as a result of the cameras – instead, they slam on the brakes to avoid camera tickets and rear-end collisions are the result.

16. Robert says:

So how about using the traffic loops and not a timer. Right now the way the traffic lights are set is frustrating. No opposing traffic but a long red light for dozens of parked cars.

• msc545 says:

I think you mean traffic circles, not loops. Not sure about others, but I think those things are dangerous and hard to use.

17. These are illegal to begin with!

18. I noticed one of the cameras was knocked down on whites cyn n Soledad 2 days ago .

• msc545 says:

Good. Now hopefully the company that owns it will remove it.

• SCVNews.com says:

Please note that if you see someone’s face on their post, their comment is getting sucked in from our Facebook page. They probably didn’t bother to click to read the story (otherwise they’d know you don’t have to pay red-light camera tickets), and they will NEVER see your reply, if you comment here directly.

19. Wait so if I try to get pass a yellow light I’m going to get a ticket? Are you kidding me? :p

• msc545 says:

Yes, isn’t that nice? It’s called GREED. drive carefully, and ignore the camera traps, which is really what they are.

20. That one on the mcBean/Valencia intersection is a scam! That damn camera gets me everytime cuz the yellow light is so short! Costs me thousands of dollars. Shame on you traffic cam scams!

21. That one on the mcBean/Valencia intersection is a scam! That damn camera gets me everytime cuz the yellow light is so short! Costs me thousands of dollars. Shame on you traffic cam scams!

22. RMG says:

How exactly does one determine that the reason there have been no fatal accidents in SCV intersections since the camera were installed are related? Do they have magic?

23. The SOURCE of the info that you can ignore these tickets, in chronological order:

Two articles in the LA Times
    Two press releases by the LA Superior Court
    Followed by multiple articles in LA Weekly and local TV network outlets

Skeptical? Search: Red light camera no consequence

24. James Farley says:

I eagerly await the yellow light timing study by contractor Kimley-Horn. It should resolve once and for all what the correct left turn yellow duration should be.

There are actually 10 through-ways with cameras at the seven intersections. I did a study of all accidents at these intersections from 2001 to June of 2012. While broadside collisions are down they are offset by the fact that rear end collisions are up by 48%. It must also be noted that there were no fatalities at these intersections in the three years prior to cameras. The cameras are given too much credit in reducing accidents. Accidents are also reduced through proper engineering. We don’t need camera enforcement to reduce accidents.

• msc545 says:

Agree completely. I think the only question is what the City and the camera company might try to do to avoid having to increase those yellow light times. After all – it is going to cost them so much money that the cameras will no longer be profitable. This entire thing is nothing but a fraud perpetrated on people who apparently don’t know their rights.

25. They used to be voluntary when LA County first dropped the contract company they were using Cuz my brother got one right after LA County didnt renew the red light camera contract but shortly after Santa Clarita re-upped and they are not voluntary any more

26. msc545 says:

This really amounts to the City perpetrating a fraud on it’s citizens, and it is reprehensible.

27. James Farley says:

There is a lot of momentum for this program to end in 2015. More is being learned by folks throughout the nation about how companies like Redflex have used the flaw in the MUTCD regarding left light yellow timing to shake down safe drivers. Our city is taking a serious look at this. When the study comes out next month the city will be compelled to change the actual left turn yellow times. If/when that happens the loss of revenue is likely to be projected for the long run. It is going to be very hard for the city to justify keeping this going if it has to be subsidized by the taxpayer. Redflex is already on the ropes in North America. I don’t see them reducing their monthly fee to put the city back in the black on this. Even if the cameras go the left turn light study is still worthwhile as the timing needs to be correct with or without camera enforcement.

28. James Farley says:

Those that say that paying these tickets are voluntary don’t appear to be on solid ground. I’ve done a bit of research and cannot find a conclusive answer that you are safe in doing so. There are good ways to fight these. Here is a good site to check out on this highwayrobbery.net

29. msc545 says:

James, at least at this time the empirical evidence, and there is a lot of it, indicates that ignoring these tickets has no consequences. Acknowledging them in any fashion at all, however, will trigger what appears to be “justice” in our traffic courts, which means one is automatically guilty.

30. msc545 says:

(cont) Therefore, not appearing and ignoring the “bait” letter(s) one is sent is effective in that the City cannot prove that you were the person driving unless they can physically look at you, and you are not compelled to aid them in their investigation, if any. To date nobody has reported that the Sheriff came to their house to identify them for purposes of a ticket. However, if you appear in court, the Judge will compare your appearance to that of the person in the video and make a determination which will virtually always be in favor of the city. Given all this, the best thing a person can do is to not show up. The Judges will not issue a bench warrant or notify DMV in the absence of better evidence than a video, and you, by not appearing, deny them that.

31. MacroView says:

With the city of Santa Clarita recently re-upping its contract with the company that provides its red light cameras, an old question has again emerged: Can you simply ignore the ticket you receive from one of the cameras?

Santa Clarita City Councilman TimBen Boydston posed the question to City Attorney Joe Montes during last Tuesday’s council meeting.

“No,” Montes responded. “There’s a sheriff’s liaison tasked specifically with enforcing these cases, and she’s in court regularly dealing with these tickets.”

Sgt. Richard Cohen with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station shared a similar sentiment.

“That would be like me issuing you a regular citation and you not going to court,” he said.

32. MacroView says:

From the L.A. times, July 27, 2011:
    City officials this week spotlighted a surprising revelation involving red-light camera tickets: Authorities cannot force violators who simply don’t respond to pay them. For a variety of reasons, including the way the law was written, Los Angeles officials say the fines for ticketed motorists are essentially “voluntary” and there are virtually no tangible consequences for those who refuse to pay.

33. MacroView says:

My wish is that officials would ONLY consider statistics regarding traffic accidents and injuries/deaths minimized by the red light cameras, with ZERO consideration given to revenue they supply. That should have NOTHING to do with it.

34. Bob Shlaky says:

I had two red light camera tickets that I ignored and didn’t pay, nothing has happened to me. Nothing on my record, driving or otherwise. The first was 5 years ago, and the second about 2, all because the damn yellow light was so short. I have had one speeding ticket (82mph) since then, and the cop did not pull up anything when running a background check.

35. James Farley says:

Good info Bob. I’m fighting these cameras from a different approach but want to learn more. Have you had a significant transaction with the DMV such as registering a new car? Wonder if the tickets would come up. I’d really like to learn how many and what percent of folks are simply ignoring. And what the Sheriff and/or city is doing about it.

• msc545 says:

As I mentioned before I recently had a significant DMV interaction (renewed my expired driver license ) in the context of having ignored two of these tickets, and there was no hold or any mention of them.

LATEST CITY HEADLINES
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold a teleconference meeting Thursday at 10:30 a.m.
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) will hold its first meeting of 2019 on Wednesday from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019
The city of Santa Clarita Planning Commission will hold its regular meeting Tuesday at 6:00 p.m.
Friday, Jan 11, 2019
Thirty-six non-profit organizations will receive funds as part of the 2019 Community Services and Arts Grant Program approved by Santa Clarita City Councilmembers at their meeting on Tuesday.
Friday, Jan 11, 2019
The city of Santa Clarita, in partnership with the Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Review Committee, has installed a new EVConnect electric vehicle charging station at the Santa Clarita Metrolink Station.

Most doctors accept Medicare as full payment for their services. But some accept it only for certain services, and others don’t accept it at all. What does this mean for you?
Keep Your Medicare Costs Down
An oil painting demo by Lynne Fearman will be held on Monday, Feb. 18, at the meeting of the Santa Clarita Artists Association (SCAA).
Feb. 18: Oil Painting Demo by Lynne Fearman
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved $500,000 in funding to repair the 1.8-mile-long Canyon Trail at Placerita Canyon Natural Area and Nature Center, which sustained major damage following the Sand Canyon Fire in 2016.
Placerita Nature Center to Undergo Repairs from Sand Fire Damage
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
Jan. 16: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
SCV Water's Public Outreach and Legislation Committee is scheduled to meet on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
Jan. 17: SCV Water Public Outreach, Legislation Committee Meeting
Jan. 17: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
Jan. 16: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
The Santa Clarita Community College District’s Board of Trustees will hold its next business meeting at College of the Canyons’ Valencia campus on Wednesday.
Jan. 16: COC Board of Trustees Business Meeting
A flash flood watch is in effect in the Santa Clarita Valley until Tuesday evening. The following is from the social media account of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station:
Flash Flood Watch in Effect, Bouquet Canyon Road Closed at San Francisquito
Forty-five amateur chefs are sweating it out in the kitchen, preparing to compete in the 7th Annual SCV Charity Chili Cook-off. People’s Choice and Judges Choice prizes will be awarded to the top three chili’s in each category.
March 21: Annual SCV Charity Chili Cook-Off
MESA, Ariz. – The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers (6-11; 4-1 Cal Pac) earned their fourth conference win on Saturday afternoon, handily defeating the Redhawks of Benedictine University at Mesa (13-7; 2-3 Cal Pac), 92-75, in intercollegiate California Pacific Conference men’s basketball action inside Heap Gymnasium.
Pioneers Cruise to 4th Conference Win
MESA, Ariz. – After a late rally, the University of Antelope Valley Pioneers (14-4; 4-1 Cal Pac) would go on to win in overtime on Saturday, defeating the Redhawks of Benedictine University at Mesa (5-9; 1-4 Cal Pac), 77-74, in intercollegiate California Pacific Conference women’s basketball action inside Heap Gymnasium.
Lady Pioneers Rally Past Benedictine University
Because of the recent rainfall, Los Angeles County Health Officer, Muntu Davis, MD, MPH, is cautioning residents who are planning to visit Los Angeles County beaches to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in ocean waters around discharging storm drains, creeks, and rivers. Bacteria, chemicals, debris, trash, and other public health hazards from city streets and mountain areas are likely to contaminate ocean waters at and around these outlets after a rainfall.
Beach Water Advisory Extended Until Thursday
Valencia-based Bioness, Inc., the leading provider of advanced, clinically supported medical devices for the treatment of chronic pain of peripheral nerve origin, has launched the first and only Patient Registry for peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) using its StimRouter Neuromodulation System.
Valencia-based Bioness Intros First Peripheral Nerve Stimulation Registry
The DECA Chapter from Valencia High School recently competed in the 2019 Southern California Career Development Conference.
Vikings Earn Top 3 at So Cal Career Conference
NORTHRIDGE - After leading CSUN Men's Basketball to a pair of road wins to start conference play, sophomore Terrell Gomez has received Big West Player of the Week accolades, the league office announced on Monday.
Matadors Sophomore Earns Big West Player of the Week
This year, Le Chène French Cuisine will be hosting a Murder Mystery Dinner on Valentine's Day, Thursday, Feb. 14 at 7:00 p.m.
Feb. 14: Le Chène’s Valentine’s Day Murder Mystery Dinner
Evacuation centers are now open for the Woolsey Fire burn areas.
Evacuation Centers Now Open for Woolsey Fire Burn Areas
Unified Command has identified properties in the Woolsey fire burn area that may be subject to a high volume of mud and debris flow. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department personnel will be out to give residents at the identified properties advance evacuation notice. Mandatory evacuations began at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Mandatory Evacuations Underway for Portions of Woolsey Fire Burn Area
The SCV Water Board of Directors confirmed Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger’s appointment of former Assembly member Dante Acosta to its Board of Directors at its special Board meeting, Monday, Jan. 7.
Acosta Confirmed to SCV Water Board
Jan. 15: Santa Clarita Planning Commission Regular Meeting
Caltrans urges motorists to be prepared and use caution when driving this winter. Taking action and being proactive can help reduce the risk of injury and even death on the highways during the upcoming storm. Operators of vehicles must use their best judgment in all types of weather.
Caltrans Offers Winter Driving Safety Tips
A 22-year-old Palmdale man died on Bouquet Canyon Road early Monday morning in a solo crash believed to be caused by excessive speed, according to the California Highway Patrol's Newhall Area office.
Palmdale Man Dies in Solo Crash on Bouquet Canyon Road
All half, the ball had been flying out of Darryl McDowell-White's hands and diving into the bottom of the net.
Men’s Hoops: McDowell-White, Johnson Lead Master’s over Westmont
Surging to an early lead and showcasing a dominating defense that has been the squad's hallmark over the past 10 games, the No. 21-ranked Mustangs led wire-to-wire in a 58-48 win over No. 15 Westmont.
Women’s Hoops: Stingy Mustang Defense Keys Win Over No. 15 Westmont
Newhall School District officials are hosting a series of parent information nights this week about the district's Dual Language Immersion Program for English- and Spanish-speaking students.
Jan. 14, 16: Newhall School District Info Nights on English-Spanish Dual Immersion
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has extended the registration period for Los Angeles County residents affected by the recent wildfires to apply for disaster assistance to Jan. 31.
FEMA Extends Wildfire Aid Application Deadline to Jan. 31
The Cougars had four players score in double figures and shot a combined 48.2 percent from the field, but could not hold off the Ventura Pirates in an 86-81 loss on Friday in the Cougar Cage.
Men’s Hoops: Cougars Fall 86-81 to Visiting Pirates
College of the Canyons will offer a Google IT Support Professional Certificate course in March, at no cost to anyone.
COC Offers Free Online Course for Google IT Support Certificate
To better assist high school seniors with the transition to collegiate life, College of the Canyons will offer information nights on Jan. 15 and 16 at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center and at Canyon High School on Thursday, Jan. 17.
Jan. 15-17: COC Sets Info Nights at Pac, Canyon High School
Officers from the California Highway Patrol Newhall Area station have closed northbound Interstate 5 at Parker Road in Castaic due to snow in the Grapevine and Tejon Pass.
Grapevine Snow Prompts CHP to Close I-5 Northbound at Parker Road
Magnified by a 2016 case in which doctors removed an infant from life support over the parents’ objections, a fight over California’s longstanding standard on brain death sharpened Monday at the Ninth Circuit.
California Brain-Death Standard Debated at 9th Circuit
A GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign has been established to help the nonprofit Santa Clarita Artists Association replace equipment damaged or destroyed in a storage locker fire on Jan. 7.
GoFundMe Campaign Set Up to Aid Santa Clarita Artists Association
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Jan. 14-20, 2
‘Goliath,’ Anjelica Video, ‘F.U. Guys’ Feature Now Filming in SCV
To ensure that Los Angeles County's most vulnerable residents receive their critical monthly CalFresh benefits without interruption, the county's Department of Public Social Services will issue February CalFresh benefits to eligible households on Jan. 16, 2019.
LA County to Issue February CalFresh Benefits Early