State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced Thursday that seven high-performing California middle schools have been newly designated as model middle grades schools in the 2014-15 Schools to Watch.
Also, the continued progress of 15 previously designated middle schools “will allow them to retain their designation,” Torlakson said in a statement.
Locally, two schools retain their designation: Castaic Middle School in the Castaic Union School District (12 years running) and High Desert School, Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District (3 years).
Statement from the Schools to Watch program:
As the lead agency for the Schools to Watch™-Taking Center Stage program, the California League of Middle Schools would like to congratulate the following schools on their selection as 2015 Schools to Watch:
- DeAnza Middle School, Ontario, Ontario-Montclair School District
- Fedde International Studies Academy, Hawaiian Gardens, ABC Unified School District
- Hawthorne School, Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills Unified School District
- Kings Canyon Middle School, Fresno, Fresno Unified School District
- Lakeside Middle School, Norwalk, Little Lake City School District
- Luther Burbank Middle School, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Wilson Junior High School, El Centro, El Centro Elementary School District
In addition, the following schools are being recognized as Redesignated School to Watch- Taking Center Stage for their commitment to continued progress and achievement:
First Redesignation (3 years Continuous Improvement):
Albiani Middle School, Elk Grove Unified School District
Granite Ridge Intermediate School, Clovis Unified School District
High Desert School, Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District
Olive Peirce Middle School, Ramona City Unified School District
Second Redesignation (6 years Continuous Improvement):
Clark Intermediate School, Clovis Unified School District
Dartmouth Middle School, San Jose, Union Elementary School District
Tincher Preparatory School, Long Beach Unified School District
Third Redesignation (9 years Continuous Improvement):
Dana Middle School, Hawthorne, Wiseburn Elementary School District
Gaspar DePortola Middle School, San Diego Unified School District
McKinleyville Middle School, McKinleyville Union School District
Toby Johnson Middle School, Elk Grove Unified School District
Fourth Redesignation (12 years Continuous Improvement):
Castaic Middle School, Castaic Union Elementary School District
Culver City Middle School, Culver City Unified School District
Silverado Middle School, Roseville, Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District
Visit the Schools Page to download the profiles.
Staff members from these five schools have worked extremely hard to create supportive, engaging communities that actively serve the academic and socio-emotional needs of all learners.
The Schools to Watch™-Taking Center Stage program is offered by:
• California League of Middle Schools (CLMS) (see www.clms.net for program specifics)
• California Department of Education (CDE)
• California Middle Grades Alliance, a partnership of:
Association of California School Administrators (ACSA), Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID), California Department of Education (CDE), Curriculum and Instruction Steering Committee (CISC) of California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCESA), California League of Middle Schools (CLMS), California Middle Grades Partnership Network (CMGPN), California School Boards Association (CSBA), California Parent Teachers Association (CAPTA), California Teachers Association (CTA), Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP), United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA)
• National Forum to Accelerate Middle-Grades Reform
• Schools to Watch™-Taking Center Stage Model Schools