The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Crime Prevention Unit Zone Leaders would like to take a moment to discuss thefts from motor vehicles.
Please do not leave your motor vehicles unlocked in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Larceny thefts have increased approximately 44% in January 2015 as compared to the month of January last year. The major cause of this increase is due to thefts from vehicles. Over 52% of these incidents occurred while the vehicle was parked in the driveway, garage or street in front of a residence. 43% of the vehicles were needlessly left UNLOCKED.
Zone Leaders have found the most common items stolen have been purses/wallets, electronic devices (iPod, iPad) and tools.
The CPU offers the following crime prevention tips:
LOCK IT UP
* An unlocked car is an open invitation to a thief.
* Lock your car and take the keys with you.
* Close all windows. Thieves can unlock cars through the smallest openings.
* Remove valuables such as cell phones, iPods, iPads, etc., from plain view and do not leave such items under the seats.
* Lock all valuables in your trunk or take them with you.
* Never leave your purse or wallet in the car.
* Know your neighbors and watch out for each other.
* Report suspicious activities and crimes to the Sheriff’s Station.
* KEEP YOUR GARAGE DOOR CLOSED WHEN NOT IN USE.
Your Zone Leaders will keep you updated on crime trends and offer new and updated crime prevention information. Please take the time to share this message. Post this message on your personal Twitter or Facebook accounts and speak to your neighbors.
To find your Zone Leader, visit www.santaclarita.lasd.org.