Cloudy
Cloudy

April 25
1891 - President Benjamin Harrison stops at Saugus Depot, dines at Tolfree's Saugus Eating House [story]

JessicaGreenback-Paige

Jessica Greenback

[KHTS] – A 25-year-old Canyon Country woman arrested on a murder charge allegedly has a history of mental illness, according to a homicide investigator Monday.

Jessica Paige Greenback, 25, of Santa Clarita, is due in court Tuesday to face charges in connection with a shooting where she lived in the 18000 block of Danielson Street around 5:30 a.m., officials said.

The weekend shooting that reportedly sprung from a domestic dispute left one person dead, another wounded and a third shot at, in addition to plenty of questions homicide detectives are still trying to answer.

“She killed her brother and shot her dad and she tried to kill another individual in the house, but he was not hurt,” said  Lt. John Corina of the Homicide Bureau of the Sheriff’s Department, adding detectives were investigating her history.

Greenback did not have any outstanding charges, according to LASD records, however, records indicate she’d been committed for mental health concerns several times in her past.

“Right now, it look likes she has a long battle with mental illness,” Corina said. “She’s had several commitments for 72 hours (over concerns about mental health).”

Greenback allegedly shot her 28-year-old brother and her father in the home they shared.

Officials with the District Attorney’s Office said a case has not yet been filed as of Monday afternoon.

Her brother, who was not identified by Sheriff’s Station officials, died of a gunshot wound to the head. The suspect’s father was grazed by a bullet, according to officials.

A semi-automatic handgun was recovered at the scene, and is believed to be the murder weapon.

The reported father of the victim, a 56-year-old man, sustained injuries consistent with a graze wound to the head, but is expected to survive, according to Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station deputies.

Both victims were taken to the hospital.

Homicide detectives are in the process of determining the motive in the shooting, according to a press release from the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

Greenback made several strange claims and appeared “delusional,” Corina said.

Greenback could face murder and attempted murder charges, Corina said.

Homicide detectives were not immediately available for comment on the investigation.

A Coroner’s official had not yet completed an examination as of Monday afternoon, and therefore could not release victim identification.

More information will be added as it becomes available.

Halie Cook contributed to this story.

1. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Sad story. I got no judgements on this.

2. This is a very sad story before the update my first reaction was maybe the males tried to rape her now I’m speechless

3. Sad. But I’m struggling to grasp what the 2 photos of her are showing us? Can you shed some light SCVTV?

4. Jasmine Esquivel I went to bowman with her

5. Jamie Lettau Jamie Lettau says:

I know her brother that died and he wasn’t a rapist. He was a nice guy. Very sad that we had to lose him because of her instability.

6. Elizabeth Jaimes Claudia Arechiga-Leon so sad

7. Remember when Brittany spears tried to get a hairdresser to shave her hair off…when refused she grabbed the clipper and did it herself? Most ladies are trying to look their best…so maybe the shaved head is a form of self mutilation. ..ie…cry for help…or warning sign of trouble…?

8. I went to school with her

9. seriously, as someone who was close to both the sister and best friends with the brother, she was delusional, and very weird, but she knew right from wrong and i believe thats all they need to try her as a competent adult. she gunned down my defenseless best friend, who was himself terrified of guns. then she tried to kill the guy who was renting a room there when the gun jammed and he ran off to get the father. by the time they got to her she had unjammed the gun and was able to get another shot off which grazed his head. THERE WAS NO RAPE! EVER!!

• Sorry for your loss and pain. May the Lord bring you peace and understanding. So sad :(

• @spencer Canaday I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts & prayers.

• So sorry for everyone involved.

• Mental illness is serious. It can cause delusions & make people paranoid. It’s terrible indeed. Sad story. It will have to make it’s way through the courts. Was there a mom in the house?

• Im so sorry for your loss :(
      Why was she “weird” ?
      Did she have friends?

• Mia Gina Mia Gina says:

Yes she is one of my dearest friends.

• @paquita izabel engle – mom and dad divorced, died of cancer in 2005 in wisconsin.
      @jailene jackson – she was weird because she was delusional and needed help and she would say odd things all the time, but i never once heard or observed her doing anything to harm even a fly or even hurt anybodys feelings.
      she had just recently moved to florida for 3 or 4 months without telling anybody that she was leaving or where she was. she called her father about a month and a half ago and begged him to buy her a plane ticket home, and he took money out of what was supposed to be the rent to do that for her. he also told her that she could stay at home, but that he was renting her room out already to help pay rent. when she got home she took it personally, so eventually the dad gave up his room and slept on the couch. somehow that and whatever other delusions were in her head (twice the cops were dispatched to their residence because she claimed they were injecting her under her toenails at night and raping her, which is ludicrous because she adamantly refused a rape kit both times and she took her little sister into another room and told her to tell the police they were raping the little girl also) culminated into her going out, getting a gun, and walking in that household and committing murder. she knows the difference between right and wrong, since she tried to get her very much younger (by almost 20 years) sister to LIE that indicates she knew it wasnt really happening. she was also well aware that she needed help, its not like she was completely clueless. this had better not turn into one of those not competent to stand trial cases.

• unfortunatley there is not enough help for mentally ill people. when the police came out and saw the mental illness problem going on she should have been admitted to a hospital for help. medication and mental health care might have prevented this. Patient rights for people who are mentaly ill and cant even see they need help, stop anyone from being able to help! something needs to be done soon to revise mental health laws! I’m sorry for your loss, prayers for everyone affected by this.

• I’m sorry for your loss! Keeping you in my prayers!

• Megan Nicole Megan Nicole says:

Is the father Sonny Greenback???

10. I’m so sorry to the family and friends for the loss and grief

11. Wowwww just a sad story all the way around…are they t er ting to say look at her then and look at her now as if she is mentally ill? Well that dont make sence cuz she was pretty n looked stable thennnnn…..when it happend correct? Maybe not…hmmmm…weird story

12. OMG I HAD SO MANY CLASSES WITH HER

13. Elva Durazo Elva Durazo says:

Mental illness can be real and pretty devastating!! You never know ! Prayers to everyone involved!

14. Nicole says:

u guys are sick… These are my relatives no one was freaking raped etc I can’t believe the things u ppl come up with

15. Are u serious jessica we kicked it

16. I know their father. He is a good man and father who loves all of his kids very much. This is a very sad situation all around. His oldest child is gone and the shooter is his daughter. Just Pray for this family. No one could have foreseen this.

17. she told me she shaved her head because she had a dream that inspired her to get a dream catcher tattoo on the side of her head, then she just shaved the rest, and that happened in 2012 NOT 2013

18. Tony New Tony New says:

Anthony Simms Jr. noo way bro

19. This is the 4th tragic incident SCV has reported in the last 30 days! Suicides and Murders seem to be the weekly topic….
    I keep hearing about Depression and Drug Abuse:( Sad!!!!
    SCV needs more jobs and a YMCA with educational programs for our YOUTH!

20. Bianca Lrnz Bianca Lrnz says:

Cutting your hair doesn’t mean mental illness or violence. These photos associated with this article only perpetuates a misunderstanding of mental illness and violence. This is such a disappointing failure in social responsibility.

21. Gladys Mercado don’t u no her?

22. Garcia Tracy Garcia Tracy says:

Omg!!! My prayers for her family

23. Garcia Tracy Garcia Tracy says:

I still can’t believe it God please be with her family

24. Nicole castillo says:

Johnnie was my first love… I am so deeply hurt with this news… Rip johnnie, be with your mother, till then just rest;(

25. msc545 says:

Let’s continue to not provide any meaningful mental health care because it’s just too expensive…

26. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Spencer Canaday it hurts you’ll never get over the hurt, but in my case I found out that if I did something that my friend did that was totally just something that he would do, I do now it helps. once a month for the first year doesn’t make things better it just makes the time go by more smoothly. I think what I’m trying to say is intergrate his spirit into your spirit so you can say with each one of your heart beats that he lives on.

27. Dam crazy I knew her she was a good homie

28. Cindy Castro Cindy Castro says:

No way?! I know her. I Never would have thought she’d do something like this

29. Ilyene says:

this is my step daughter. She was a beautiful smart young girl. Please be kind. Mental illness is no joke.

30. Julio Diego Julio Diego says:

Damn I’m still I shock with all this… I went to school with her.. Every time I use to see her or kiked it just for a bit she would always look happy and always smiling :/ damn….. I just can’t believe it that it was Jessica

31. Jillian says:

Johnnie was an amazing guy — I can’t believe his sister would do this…. Please pray for this family, there are two younger siblings who are very heartbroken right now, and I ton of friends and family. This guy she killed was a good friend to many and the sweetest guy I have ever met. So devastating.

32. april says:

I live in the apartments. The rape comment came out because after jessica shot her father, her little sister ran out yelling “you raped my sister.” Mental illness or not, if she was being abused that could cause mental instability.

33. I cannot believe this

34. Reaps Jaramillo Danny Zamora

35. Todd Allen Todd Allen says:

I like the before picture

36. Karla Love Karla Love says:

Angel Reyes Dammm that’s sad

37. No way I went to school with that girl

38. Daniel Munoz Daniel Munoz says:

Damn…dat is krayzie…she used to b active…remember thw village days?…do u remember also jeremy/swarttz….up in the terrace?…used to see her all the time…even dopes knows her

39. Daniel Munoz Daniel Munoz says:

Try to tell her stay out of trouble but she was tweekin it way to hard bak in the day…

40. Mimi Martinez I’m in shock

41. Woooow , can’t believe that .. We went to high school together ..

42. Samantha Bonsall says:

The man killed today, was very dear to me. He has never had a drinking or drug problem in his life. This man not only wouldnt hurt a fly, but is a natural protector. I lived with him for years. I would trust him with my child. Do not imply he did anything wrong. I’ve also known her since she was 16, I will never ever forgive her for taking him from all of those who love him.

43. Disbelief. She had aspirations to go to USC, she was a singer and loved nature and science. Hard to register what happened.

44. Disbelief. She had aspirations to go to USC, she was a singer and loved nature and science. Hard to register what happened.

45. Carolina Morales Thibodeaux

46. anonymous says:

I’ve known the family for over 25 years watched them grow up!! I’m in shock and my prayers go out to the family and all close to them!! Mental illness is not a joke and many suffer from it and I know Jessica and her brother along with others were very sad over the lose of there mother who died of cancer and none of us know the circumstances or exactly what was in her mind demons pray on use all daily having faith even then we all battle things in life never would I ever think she would do what she did all I ask is please respect the family and all close to them for there loss he was a good guy gentle kind caring and full of life know he loved his family and his friends enjoyed skateboarding and the simple things in life he’s shinning down on us all now keep your thought and prayers for the family cause I can’t imagine the pain there going thru and please don’t comment if u don’t have anything to say in good judgment!!! You will be missed and I’m not using his name out of respect which other people should think about love your family and friends everyday is a blessing!!! :(

47. But of course everyone blamed the guy at first, had to be his fault right? Idiots.

48. Sara Johnson Sara Johnson says:

So sad, mental health can be a hidden sickness. Hoping family and friends find answers and peace.

49. We were close at one point and I could never imagine her doing this! She wouldn’t even hurt a damn fly, literally! So sad ..
    Sending prayers!

50. Jarrid De’shon Barr

51. Lora Hill Lora Hill says:

Did she have drug issues? These pictures look like those before and after meth addict pictures

52. The man killed is a dear friend. I lived with him for years.I’ve known their family a long time. He absolutely, did not deserve this.
    Especially, from her.

I literally have pictures of them in my phone right now, of just the three of us. His younger brother more than anyone and other baby sister, I’m sure would appreciate people knowing at least that, of this situation, that he did not deserve this.

53. Jesse Leon Jesse Leon says:

Lisa Gabriela Payne do you remember her???

54. This is so sad! I knew both her and her brother… Never did i think she could do such a thing, let alone to her own family. Wtf jess?!?!? Absolutely tragic

55. Deisy Cervantes says:

I spoke to her a few times. She always seemed like a nice, sweet girl. . Very close to her family, especially the little sister & dad. Nobody knows what happened. . So stop judging!

56. summer says:

These are my cousins!! Please be gentle So their father that has just been through hell doesn’t have to see nonsense

57. Joe Martinez Joe Martinez says:

This is sad, feel bad for everyone involved..

58. Max Ventura wtf happened… TXt Me

59. Erika Bird Martinez Lupe Albarran

60. Rocio Garcia Rocio Garcia says:

No manchen yi cinosi a esta muchacha se veia normal ni se miraba que estubiera enferma tuvo que ver algo entre su familia para que pasara esto no toda la culpa es de la muchacha

61. sonny greenback says:

i am the father that was shot,there was no domestic dispute of any kind that set this off,and it really bothers me that this has been made up as a motive,it anger’s me deeply as i weep the loss of my son as i am recovering a deadly wound,she has a history of mental illness but this was never thought ever of possibly happening…lt. john corina,if you are the one’s mouth that has said this false allegation,i expect an apology,but then it won’t surprise me if i don’t get one,cause that was a very unproffessional accusation you put out,sincerely,sonny greenback

• SCVNews.com says:

We are deeply saddened and horrified by your loss, and for what your family has gone through and will continue to go through in the months and years ahead.

• Amanda says:

I live in riverpark. I will be moving out this is upsetting. I walk by there and the bloody hand prints on the wall. So gruesome. Crazy or not. Shooting ur family I’m sorry. A no no

62. Cindy Olsen Cindy Olsen says:

Can’t believe it. ..

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
City Council Appoints Phil Hart to Planning Commission
In a unanimous 4-0 vote Tuesday night, the Santa Clarita City Council appointed former Logix Federal Credit Union Chief Operating Officer and Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation board member Philip M. Hart to fill a position on the city's five-member Planning Commission.
Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
Wilk Animal Cruelty Intervention Act OK’d by Committee
The California Senate Committee on Public Safety voted 4-1 Tuesday to approve Senate Bill 1024, the Animal Cruelty and Violence Intervention Act of 2018, introduced by Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, as a way to address the undeniable link between animal abuse and violence towards humans.
Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018
Knight Introduces Bill to Boost Energy Storage Development
Rep. Steve Knight (R-Antelope Valley) introduced H.R. 5610, the bipartisan Better Energy Storage Technology Act, on Wednesday, seeking to establish innovation goals to develop large-scale commercially viable energy storage technology.

College of the Canyons hit three home runs to power past Victor Valley College 10-2 on Tuesday, keeping the Cougars' conference championship hopes alive.
Cougars Power Past Victor Valley 10-2
College of the Canyons finished its conference schedule a perfect 16-0 by beating Barstow College 6-2 after 'Sophomore Day' ceremonies at Whitten Field.
Canyons Clinches Division Championship With 6-2 Win Over Barstow
College of the Canyons' men's golf team had all five players finish in the top-five of the individual standings on the way to a 35-stroke team victory at Western State Conference No. 10 on Monday at San Dimas Golf Course.
COC Men’s Golf Team Crushes Competition at WSC No. 10
The College of the Canyons Cougars closed out their three-game series with conference leader Glendale College, downing the Vaqueros 5-2 on Saturday to finish the weekend one game back with three to go.
Canyons Takes Series With 5-2 Win Over Glendale
The SCV Senior Center's Scholar Series will present a historical reenactment of American educator, author and journalist Laura Ingalls Wilder performed by Louise Willard of the American Association of University Women on Friday, April 27, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
April 27: Senior Center to Present Historical Reenactment of ‘Little House’ Author
City Council Appoints Phil Hart to Planning Commission
California State University, Northridge gender and women’s studies students and queer studies students will present their capstone research projects about the cultural aspects of sexuality and gender to students, faculty, staff and members of the community on Tuesday, May 1, and Wednesday, May 2, at the university.
May 1-2: CSUN 5th Annual ‘Sex in the Library’ Event
Wilk Animal Cruelty Intervention Act OK’d by Committee
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Foundation hosted a recognition and appreciation dinner on April 19 for the dedicated men and women who volunteer with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.
SCV Sheriff’s Foundation Honors Local Volunteers
Brandon Gold didn’t allow a run over seven innings, and the JetHawks hit two home runs to support him in a 9-3 win over the Visalia Rawhide on Tuesday night at Recreation Park.
Solid Gold Gets Third Win with Help from Bats
Knight Introduces Bill to Boost Energy Storage Development
Cannabis management officials from LA County and the city of LA offer advice to people seeking employment as retail cannabis budtenders.
Cannabis Officials Offer Job Tips for Aspiring Budtenders
An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on Highway 14 near Crown Valley Road in the Acton area Tuesday night.
Assailant Shoots at Arleta Man, Woman on Highway 14
Senate Bill 1409, which would update current law to streamline the production of industrial hemp in California, has been passed by the Senate Committee on Public Safety.
Wilk Industrial Hemp Bill Unanimously Passes Senate Committee
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital in Valencia has formed a new clinically integrated network — the Henry Mayo Care Network, LLC.
Henry Mayo Launches New Clinically Integrated Network
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's Engineering Committee will be holding a meeting, Thursday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m.
May 3: SCV Water’s Engineering Committee Meeting
Building on the success and excitement surrounding LA’s first-ever Arts Datathon in 2017, the LA County Arts Commission (LACAC) presents Arts Datathon: Collections, which aims to explore collections data as a way to increase access to the arts.
April 27: LA County Arts Datathon Collections
The 24 members of the West Ranch High School percussion Ensemble will forever be known as world champions as they took home the top prize at the Winter Guard International (WGI) World Championships in Dayton, Ohio, this past weekend.
West Ranch Percussion Ensemble Returns Home as World Champions
Launched Jan. 1, 2018, California’s newest water agency, SCV Water, is already making progress on commitments of enhanced efficiencies and financial savings.
May 15: VIA Luncheon to Highlight SCV Water Agency
The fourth annual Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) Future Jazz Master Scholarship was awarded to trumpeter and CalArtian Sara Sithi-Amnuai (Music MFA 19).
CalArts Student Awarded Jazz Master Scholarship
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN Baseball (17-22) opens up a road-heavy stretch over the last five weeks of the regular season on Tuesday evening. For the second time this month, the Matadors will head to Fresno State to start a seven-game road trip. A video stream will be available on the Mountain West Network at 6:05 p.m.
Matadors to Start 7-Game Road Trip
Santa Clarita Artists Association's new show, Colors of Spring, will open on May 4, with a free reception, from 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. The exhibit will run until June 24, 2018.
May 4: Opening of Santa Clarita Artists Association’s ‘Colors of Spring’
SUN VALLEY - Mission Valley Bancorp (OTCQX: MVLY) President & CEO Tamara Gurney announces year to date net income of $1,384,000 for the period ended March 31, 2018 – the strongest first quarter in the history of the company.
Mission Valley Bancorp Records Best-Ever 1st Quarter
Flair Cleaners, Southern California’s leading eco-friendly dry cleaners, will host the third annual Flair Cares Spring Food Drive, May 1 – May 31.
May 1-31: Flair Cleaners Annual Spring Food Drive
West Coast auto racing enthusiasts, “Fast & Furious” fans and family and friends of the late actor Paul Walker are gearing up for the inaugural In Memory of Paul Car Hangout, set for College of the Canyons in Valencia on Sunday, May 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
May 20:  In Memory of Paul Walker Inaugural Car Hangout
The Placerita Canyon Nature Center will be holding its annual Open House, Saturday, May 12, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
May 12: Placerita Canyon Nature Center Open House
BAKERSFIELD - College of the Canyons had a strong first-day showing at the Western State Conference (WSC) Swim & Dive Championships, with two of the men's relay teams performing strong enough to perhaps earn a trip to next month's state championship meet.
Cougars Head to Bakersfield after Strong WSC Showing
Santa Clarita Valley International, a free public charter school serving grades TK through 12, will host its annual “Expresstival” event, a celebration of student creativity, from 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Friday, April 27 at the school’s campus at 28060 Hasley Canyon Road in Castaic. This family-friendly event is free and open to the public.
April 27: Annual SCVi Charter’s ‘Expresstival’
Here is the Community Newhall (Zone 6) Crime Information & Public Safety Report for April 9 - 15:
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft, Vehicle Burglary in Newhall
This year’s Coachella Valley Music Festival started out on a sour note for 135 concertgoers who received misdemeanor citations for fraudulently using disabled person parking placards.
DMV Issues More than 150 Disabled Parking Citations at Coachella
1962 - SCV residents vote to connect to State Water Project, creating CLWA [story]
Applications are now open for the summer 2018 LA County Arts Internship Program, which will provide 179 university and community college students with paid on-the-job experience at more than 100 arts organizations across LA County this summer.
County Expands Summer Arts Internships for College Students
The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner has identified the man killed in a solo crash on Sierra Highway between Santa Clarita and Agua Dulce early Sunday morning as Brandon Scott Isaman, 31, of Palmdale.
Coroner ID’s Palmdale Man Killed in Solo Crash
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a Pine Mountain man on weapons and drug charges Thursday, an out-of-town resident for alleged possession of methamphetamine and a zip gun Friday night, and two locals for alleged possession of heroin for sale on Saturday morning.
SCV Crime Beat: Arrests for Heroin, Meth, Homemade Gun
With summer just around the corner, the city of Santa Clarita will hold a summer swim lesson assessment at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center, 20850 Centre Pointe Parkway, on Thursday, April 26, from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
April 26, May 5: City to Hold Summer Swim Lesson Assessments