Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

July 21
1952 - 7.5-magnitude Kern County earthquake devastates Tehachapi; damage spread from San Diego to Las Vegas [story]

JessicaGreenback-Paige

Jessica Greenback

[KHTS] – A 25-year-old Canyon Country woman arrested on a murder charge allegedly has a history of mental illness, according to a homicide investigator Monday.

Jessica Paige Greenback, 25, of Santa Clarita, is due in court Tuesday to face charges in connection with a shooting where she lived in the 18000 block of Danielson Street around 5:30 a.m., officials said.

The weekend shooting that reportedly sprung from a domestic dispute left one person dead, another wounded and a third shot at, in addition to plenty of questions homicide detectives are still trying to answer.

“She killed her brother and shot her dad and she tried to kill another individual in the house, but he was not hurt,” said  Lt. John Corina of the Homicide Bureau of the Sheriff’s Department, adding detectives were investigating her history.

Greenback did not have any outstanding charges, according to LASD records, however, records indicate she’d been committed for mental health concerns several times in her past.

“Right now, it look likes she has a long battle with mental illness,” Corina said. “She’s had several commitments for 72 hours (over concerns about mental health).”

Greenback allegedly shot her 28-year-old brother and her father in the home they shared.

Officials with the District Attorney’s Office said a case has not yet been filed as of Monday afternoon.

Her brother, who was not identified by Sheriff’s Station officials, died of a gunshot wound to the head. The suspect’s father was grazed by a bullet, according to officials.

A semi-automatic handgun was recovered at the scene, and is believed to be the murder weapon.

The reported father of the victim, a 56-year-old man, sustained injuries consistent with a graze wound to the head, but is expected to survive, according to Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station deputies.

Both victims were taken to the hospital.

Homicide detectives are in the process of determining the motive in the shooting, according to a press release from the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

Greenback made several strange claims and appeared “delusional,” Corina said.

Greenback could face murder and attempted murder charges, Corina said.

Homicide detectives were not immediately available for comment on the investigation.

A Coroner’s official had not yet completed an examination as of Monday afternoon, and therefore could not release victim identification.

More information will be added as it becomes available.

Halie Cook contributed to this story.

1. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Sad story. I got no judgements on this.

2. This is a very sad story before the update my first reaction was maybe the males tried to rape her now I’m speechless

3. Sad. But I’m struggling to grasp what the 2 photos of her are showing us? Can you shed some light SCVTV?

4. Jasmine Esquivel I went to bowman with her

5. Jamie Lettau Jamie Lettau says:

I know her brother that died and he wasn’t a rapist. He was a nice guy. Very sad that we had to lose him because of her instability.

6. Elizabeth Jaimes Claudia Arechiga-Leon so sad

7. Remember when Brittany spears tried to get a hairdresser to shave her hair off…when refused she grabbed the clipper and did it herself? Most ladies are trying to look their best…so maybe the shaved head is a form of self mutilation. ..ie…cry for help…or warning sign of trouble…?

8. I went to school with her

9. seriously, as someone who was close to both the sister and best friends with the brother, she was delusional, and very weird, but she knew right from wrong and i believe thats all they need to try her as a competent adult. she gunned down my defenseless best friend, who was himself terrified of guns. then she tried to kill the guy who was renting a room there when the gun jammed and he ran off to get the father. by the time they got to her she had unjammed the gun and was able to get another shot off which grazed his head. THERE WAS NO RAPE! EVER!!

• Sorry for your loss and pain. May the Lord bring you peace and understanding. So sad :(

• @spencer Canaday I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts & prayers.

• So sorry for everyone involved.

• Mental illness is serious. It can cause delusions & make people paranoid. It’s terrible indeed. Sad story. It will have to make it’s way through the courts. Was there a mom in the house?

• Im so sorry for your loss :(
      Why was she “weird” ?
      Did she have friends?

• Mia Gina Mia Gina says:

Yes she is one of my dearest friends.

• @paquita izabel engle – mom and dad divorced, died of cancer in 2005 in wisconsin.
      @jailene jackson – she was weird because she was delusional and needed help and she would say odd things all the time, but i never once heard or observed her doing anything to harm even a fly or even hurt anybodys feelings.
      she had just recently moved to florida for 3 or 4 months without telling anybody that she was leaving or where she was. she called her father about a month and a half ago and begged him to buy her a plane ticket home, and he took money out of what was supposed to be the rent to do that for her. he also told her that she could stay at home, but that he was renting her room out already to help pay rent. when she got home she took it personally, so eventually the dad gave up his room and slept on the couch. somehow that and whatever other delusions were in her head (twice the cops were dispatched to their residence because she claimed they were injecting her under her toenails at night and raping her, which is ludicrous because she adamantly refused a rape kit both times and she took her little sister into another room and told her to tell the police they were raping the little girl also) culminated into her going out, getting a gun, and walking in that household and committing murder. she knows the difference between right and wrong, since she tried to get her very much younger (by almost 20 years) sister to LIE that indicates she knew it wasnt really happening. she was also well aware that she needed help, its not like she was completely clueless. this had better not turn into one of those not competent to stand trial cases.

• unfortunatley there is not enough help for mentally ill people. when the police came out and saw the mental illness problem going on she should have been admitted to a hospital for help. medication and mental health care might have prevented this. Patient rights for people who are mentaly ill and cant even see they need help, stop anyone from being able to help! something needs to be done soon to revise mental health laws! I’m sorry for your loss, prayers for everyone affected by this.

• I’m sorry for your loss! Keeping you in my prayers!

• Megan Nicole Megan Nicole says:

Is the father Sonny Greenback???

10. I’m so sorry to the family and friends for the loss and grief

11. Wowwww just a sad story all the way around…are they t er ting to say look at her then and look at her now as if she is mentally ill? Well that dont make sence cuz she was pretty n looked stable thennnnn…..when it happend correct? Maybe not…hmmmm…weird story

12. OMG I HAD SO MANY CLASSES WITH HER

13. Elva Durazo Elva Durazo says:

Mental illness can be real and pretty devastating!! You never know ! Prayers to everyone involved!

14. Nicole says:

u guys are sick… These are my relatives no one was freaking raped etc I can’t believe the things u ppl come up with

15. Are u serious jessica we kicked it

16. I know their father. He is a good man and father who loves all of his kids very much. This is a very sad situation all around. His oldest child is gone and the shooter is his daughter. Just Pray for this family. No one could have foreseen this.

17. she told me she shaved her head because she had a dream that inspired her to get a dream catcher tattoo on the side of her head, then she just shaved the rest, and that happened in 2012 NOT 2013

18. Tony New Tony New says:

Anthony Simms Jr. noo way bro

19. This is the 4th tragic incident SCV has reported in the last 30 days! Suicides and Murders seem to be the weekly topic….
    I keep hearing about Depression and Drug Abuse:( Sad!!!!
    SCV needs more jobs and a YMCA with educational programs for our YOUTH!

20. Bianca Lrnz Bianca Lrnz says:

Cutting your hair doesn’t mean mental illness or violence. These photos associated with this article only perpetuates a misunderstanding of mental illness and violence. This is such a disappointing failure in social responsibility.

21. Gladys Mercado don’t u no her?

22. Garcia Tracy Garcia Tracy says:

Omg!!! My prayers for her family

23. Garcia Tracy Garcia Tracy says:

I still can’t believe it God please be with her family

24. Nicole castillo says:

Johnnie was my first love… I am so deeply hurt with this news… Rip johnnie, be with your mother, till then just rest;(

25. msc545 says:

Let’s continue to not provide any meaningful mental health care because it’s just too expensive…

26. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Spencer Canaday it hurts you’ll never get over the hurt, but in my case I found out that if I did something that my friend did that was totally just something that he would do, I do now it helps. once a month for the first year doesn’t make things better it just makes the time go by more smoothly. I think what I’m trying to say is intergrate his spirit into your spirit so you can say with each one of your heart beats that he lives on.

27. Dam crazy I knew her she was a good homie

28. Cindy Castro Cindy Castro says:

No way?! I know her. I Never would have thought she’d do something like this

29. Ilyene says:

this is my step daughter. She was a beautiful smart young girl. Please be kind. Mental illness is no joke.

30. Julio Diego Julio Diego says:

Damn I’m still I shock with all this… I went to school with her.. Every time I use to see her or kiked it just for a bit she would always look happy and always smiling :/ damn….. I just can’t believe it that it was Jessica

31. Jillian says:

Johnnie was an amazing guy — I can’t believe his sister would do this…. Please pray for this family, there are two younger siblings who are very heartbroken right now, and I ton of friends and family. This guy she killed was a good friend to many and the sweetest guy I have ever met. So devastating.

32. april says:

I live in the apartments. The rape comment came out because after jessica shot her father, her little sister ran out yelling “you raped my sister.” Mental illness or not, if she was being abused that could cause mental instability.

33. I cannot believe this

34. Reaps Jaramillo Danny Zamora

35. Todd Allen Todd Allen says:

I like the before picture

36. Karla Love Karla Love says:

Angel Reyes Dammm that’s sad

37. No way I went to school with that girl

38. Daniel Munoz Daniel Munoz says:

Damn…dat is krayzie…she used to b active…remember thw village days?…do u remember also jeremy/swarttz….up in the terrace?…used to see her all the time…even dopes knows her

39. Daniel Munoz Daniel Munoz says:

Try to tell her stay out of trouble but she was tweekin it way to hard bak in the day…

40. Mimi Martinez I’m in shock

41. Woooow , can’t believe that .. We went to high school together ..

42. Samantha Bonsall says:

The man killed today, was very dear to me. He has never had a drinking or drug problem in his life. This man not only wouldnt hurt a fly, but is a natural protector. I lived with him for years. I would trust him with my child. Do not imply he did anything wrong. I’ve also known her since she was 16, I will never ever forgive her for taking him from all of those who love him.

43. Disbelief. She had aspirations to go to USC, she was a singer and loved nature and science. Hard to register what happened.

44. Disbelief. She had aspirations to go to USC, she was a singer and loved nature and science. Hard to register what happened.

45. Carolina Morales Thibodeaux

46. anonymous says:

I’ve known the family for over 25 years watched them grow up!! I’m in shock and my prayers go out to the family and all close to them!! Mental illness is not a joke and many suffer from it and I know Jessica and her brother along with others were very sad over the lose of there mother who died of cancer and none of us know the circumstances or exactly what was in her mind demons pray on use all daily having faith even then we all battle things in life never would I ever think she would do what she did all I ask is please respect the family and all close to them for there loss he was a good guy gentle kind caring and full of life know he loved his family and his friends enjoyed skateboarding and the simple things in life he’s shinning down on us all now keep your thought and prayers for the family cause I can’t imagine the pain there going thru and please don’t comment if u don’t have anything to say in good judgment!!! You will be missed and I’m not using his name out of respect which other people should think about love your family and friends everyday is a blessing!!! :(

47. But of course everyone blamed the guy at first, had to be his fault right? Idiots.

48. Sara Johnson Sara Johnson says:

So sad, mental health can be a hidden sickness. Hoping family and friends find answers and peace.

49. We were close at one point and I could never imagine her doing this! She wouldn’t even hurt a damn fly, literally! So sad ..
    Sending prayers!

50. Jarrid De’shon Barr

51. Lora Hill Lora Hill says:

Did she have drug issues? These pictures look like those before and after meth addict pictures

52. The man killed is a dear friend. I lived with him for years.I’ve known their family a long time. He absolutely, did not deserve this.
    Especially, from her.

I literally have pictures of them in my phone right now, of just the three of us. His younger brother more than anyone and other baby sister, I’m sure would appreciate people knowing at least that, of this situation, that he did not deserve this.

53. Jesse Leon Jesse Leon says:

Lisa Gabriela Payne do you remember her???

54. This is so sad! I knew both her and her brother… Never did i think she could do such a thing, let alone to her own family. Wtf jess?!?!? Absolutely tragic

55. Deisy Cervantes says:

I spoke to her a few times. She always seemed like a nice, sweet girl. . Very close to her family, especially the little sister & dad. Nobody knows what happened. . So stop judging!

56. summer says:

These are my cousins!! Please be gentle So their father that has just been through hell doesn’t have to see nonsense

57. Joe Martinez Joe Martinez says:

This is sad, feel bad for everyone involved..

58. Max Ventura wtf happened… TXt Me

59. Erika Bird Martinez Lupe Albarran

60. Rocio Garcia Rocio Garcia says:

No manchen yi cinosi a esta muchacha se veia normal ni se miraba que estubiera enferma tuvo que ver algo entre su familia para que pasara esto no toda la culpa es de la muchacha

61. sonny greenback says:

i am the father that was shot,there was no domestic dispute of any kind that set this off,and it really bothers me that this has been made up as a motive,it anger’s me deeply as i weep the loss of my son as i am recovering a deadly wound,she has a history of mental illness but this was never thought ever of possibly happening…lt. john corina,if you are the one’s mouth that has said this false allegation,i expect an apology,but then it won’t surprise me if i don’t get one,cause that was a very unproffessional accusation you put out,sincerely,sonny greenback

• SCVNews.com says:

We are deeply saddened and horrified by your loss, and for what your family has gone through and will continue to go through in the months and years ahead.

• Amanda says:

I live in riverpark. I will be moving out this is upsetting. I walk by there and the bloody hand prints on the wall. So gruesome. Crazy or not. Shooting ur family I’m sorry. A no no

62. Cindy Olsen Cindy Olsen says:

Can’t believe it. ..

Friday, Jul 20, 2018
Court: Chiquita Landfill Must Comply with CUP, Pay County $12 Mil.
The L.A. County Superior Court on July 17 sided with Los Angeles County and dismissed a portion of Chiquita Canyon LLC's complaint, which challenged 13 conditions of the county's conditional use permit governing how the landfill operates, Supervisor Kathryn Barger announced Friday.
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
Four men allegedly stole a van and crashed it at Cinema Drive and Valencia Boulevard late Friday afternoon, breaking gas and water lines and snarling rush-hour traffic in the center of the city.
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's board of directors voted in its Tuesday meeting to revise its per-diem payment policy for board members attending industry-related meetings and conferences.

Court: Chiquita Landfill Must Comply with CUP, Pay County $12 Mil.
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has announced $4,518,000 in two-year grants to 216 nonprofit arts organizations through its Organizational Grant Program, and the Santa Clarita Philharmonic Orchestra and the Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival are among the grantees.
Santa Clarita Philharmonic, Shakespeare Festival Win County Arts Grants
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
College of the Canyons men's basketball player Robert Moss will continue his playing career at University of Saint Katherine after committing to join the Firebirds program.
COC Hoopster Robert Moss Commits to University of Saint Katherine
When wives earn more than their husbands, a puzzling thing can happen: Husbands say they earn more than they are and wives underreport their income, according to new Census Bureau research.
Census Research: Spouses Report Earnings Differently When Wives Earn More
Responding to a booming economy and a generous state budget, administrators on Thursday approved the first tuition decrease for the University of California system in nearly 20 years.
University of California Cuts Tuition for First Time in 20 Years
The William S. Hart Union High School District and Spirit Holding, developers of Castaic High School, will host a community kick-off event on Friday, Aug. 3, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. celebrating the one-year countdown to the grand opening of the new school, currently under construction.
Aug. 3: ‘Countdown to Castaic High’ Public Celebration
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, July 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
July 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a Heat Alert for Monday, July 23 and Tuesday, July 24, as high temperatures have been forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Heat Alert Called for Monday, Tuesday
The Lancaster JetHawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but two late home runs from Stockton's Sandber Pimentel led the Ports to victory in a 5-4 final on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Lancaster Can’t Stop Pimentel, Ports
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and Department of Justice have made public the government's plan for the court-ordered reunification of children ages 5 years and older who were separated from their parents by immigration authorities.
Feds Detail Plan to Reunite Immigrant Children with Parents
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch