Bridge to Home will not be opening its emergency homeless shelter in Santa Clarita on Thursday despite pressure from the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors to do so.
“The agency we work with hasn’t given us our contract yet, and we are working with them as to what day we can open,” said Tim Davis, executive director of Bridge to Home.
About two weeks ago, the supervisors voted to provide extra funding for homeless shelters to open up approximately one month earlier than normal due to the likelihood of a severe El Nino season, said Kathryn Barger, chief deputy to Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich.
The board also signed off on a decision to increase beds for more capacity, Barger said.
The shelters that will not be open by Oct. 15 will not be paid but will be reimbursed for the extra beds, Barger said.
“The whole premise is, it’s an emergency shelter, and they won’t get paid for those days,” said Barger.
The normal opening date for Bridge to Home’s shelter is Nov. 23, Davis said.
“I am sure we will open before then, but I can’t give you an accurate answer on that yet,” he said.
The Board of Supervisors approved a motion earlier this week which invests $15 million on programs to rehouse the homeless rapidly and try to prevent homelessness.
The money for the programs will come from the Los Angeles County’s Homeless Prevention Initiative fund, which started with $50 million at the beginning of this fiscal year and recently grew by another $51 million, according to the county.
Bridge to Home operates an emergency winter shelter at 23031 Drayton Street which normally holds a maximum of 60 single men or women. The phone number in the shelter office is 661-388-0086.