Sunny
Sunny

October 23
1888 - 8:15 a.m.: Newhall's luxurious Southern Hotel burns to the ground [story]

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

[KHTS] – The motorcyclist killed in a single-vehicle traffic collision on Newhall Ranch Road Saturday evening has been identified.

Daniel Curry Jr., 21, struck a fire hydrant at approximately 2:58 p.m. at the intersection of Newhall Ranch Road and Golden Valley Road, said officials with the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

Curry later succumbed to his injuries after being transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

The incident caused water to flow into the street, but was shut off approximately 30 minutes later at 3:29 p.m., said Los Angeles County Fire Department Supervisor Cheryl Sims.

1. Devon Caddy Devon Caddy says:

my friend , he was on his way to work and me and a massive group of family and friends all heard what had happened. we love you danny. R.I.P. we love you and miss you so much <3

2. Sabrina Lewis Tyler Joy

3. Thomas Stefanski anyone you know?

4. Rip fellow rider. Carve up that afterlife

5. Poor kid. motorcyclists must acknowledge such possibilities each time they ride. Doesn’t make it any less a tragedy when it happens.

6. Sad😔RIP Dear Soul🌟💫💫

7. Yesel Prado Yesel Prado says:

Mariela Jessica Grossman

8. What’s with that picture above with a person texting while driving. He was riding a motorcycle not texting and riding!!

• Edwin Mendez Edwin Mendez says:

Shes a ignorant person who wants likes … u really think a motorcyclist would be texting …. im Sorry for your lost and sorry you have to see these horrible comments

9. Lisa Orefice Lisa Orefice says:

So sad RIP. ☮☮☮

10. I’m his mom, I don’t want to see any negative comments on here. He was a safe driver and all of MY friends that rose with him and they all said that he was a safer driver at all times. He lost control

11. Carol Round Carol Round says:

Incredibly sad, praying for his family and friends.

12. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

13. So sad. RIP fellow rider.

14. So sorry for your loss. Prayers

15. Is this the bike vs hydrant you saw Michele

16. Dan Hoskins Dan Hoskins says:

RIP. All riders know the danger. Prayers for his family.

17. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I am very sorry for your and your families loss. Prayers for you.

18. Michele says:

I came up on this accident no more than a minute after it happened. It angered me to see a man park his car and start recording with his cell phone, while others just stood there with stupid “what should we do” looks on their faces. It was WATER – not flames. If you didn’t want to move the victim, I can understand that – but at LEAST shield him from the water that was pouring down on top of him so he didn’t drown in his helmet. Not one of you moved to help him. I rolled my window down and yelled for someone to get the water off him. Had I not had children in my car I would have gotten out and done it myself. To the disgusting @#*#%^ who recorded it on his cell phone, I hope karma bites you in the @#*. This was a human life, not some sideshow attraction.

19. Dan Seeder Dan Seeder says:

So very sad
    My prayers to his family and loved ones

GOD SPEED

20. Melanie and family I want to sent my thoughts and prayers during this troubling time and we my family r here for u if u need anything god bless and god speed

21. Austin Dean Austin Dean says:

I still can’t believe it…

22. So sorry for your loss Melanie Siebe McMorrow. ❤💔

23. Please people, stop making judgemental comments, this family is devestated.

24. Mark Genter Mark Genter says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Melanie, your in my prayers .

25. Let’s remember that this is a local young man. This is a loss to our community to lose a young light. Remember that his friends and family will read your comments. As a community we need to come together and support Melanie Siebe McMorrow and her family not show our evil judgments. We do not know the cause of the accident and whether he was going fast or not, he was still a life that left too soon. Shame on anyone who feels that their opinion trumps the hurt caused by the comment. We are a small community, he could have been any of our family or friends. Recently our small town has lost too many young lives. If you don’t believe in prayer at least be a good person and show compassion towards the loss. For me I will pray for the family to find strength during this time. Please excuse any grammatical errors as I wrote this from my phone.

26. RIP
    Prayers for u n family

27. Please note Melanie is a good friend of mine and is so devastated by what has happened to her pride and joy her Son for God sake. Please please respect her and her angel that was taken from her.

28. Heartbreaking!! We may not all know the family but know you are all surrounded by prayers!! I’m so sorry!!!! My heart aches for them 😔😔😔!!!!!

29. Family and friends should grieve the loss of this man not be worried about Facebook comments. Everyone has an opinion. Who cares what strangers say. You just lost a child, worry about that right now.

30. Sorry for your loss…prayers for your family♡♡♡

31. So sorry for your great loss.

32. Dave Pettis Dave Pettis says:

There is a saying for motorcyclist. There are 2 kinds of riders. Those that have gone down and those that will. Sad but true! I’m so sorry for your loss. All riders please be safe!

33. Jennifer Shaver says:

Melanie, I have no words. I didn’t realize that it was your son that passed when I saw the messages on Facebook. You are the sweetest person and an amazing Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I don’t know what to say other than send you my love, thoughts, condolences and prayers.

34. I had met your son a few times. He and my BF’s son Steven are friends and friends with Cole. They actually came to the house a few months ago. He was a very nice young man. We are so very sorry for your loss and send prayers for you and your family.

35. I worked with his Mom for many years and just saw her 2 weeks ago. She is amazing, sweet and genuine. My heart breaks for her.

36. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I’m so sorry. If you need anything please call or text me.
    RIP Danny

37. My heart goes out to this family! So very sorry for your loss 😞

38. Kim Stephens Kim Stephens says:

I’m so saddened to hear this. My heart aches for this young man’s family and friends.

39. Denise Cupp Wertz says:

I’ve been putting off sending my condolences to Melanie Siebe McMorrow and family because I cannot even imagine the pain she must be going through being a mother myself. I’m so sorry and it breaks my heart to hear that she is having to endure this.

40. RIP so tragic sorry for his families loss what a tragic day for Santa Clarita to young adults list there lives today

41. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

Prayers for his family! RIP Danny!

42. Christine says:

I didn’t know him very well. He was a coworker. I felt so very bad when they made the announcement and I didn’t even know his name. I have made it a point to speak to all my coworkers now and learn their names. I see his face a lot as if I’d just seen him. God is resting his soul. Peace be with you Danny.

43. Stephanie Horner says:

Danny was a friend of my brother, Steven. He took me out and taught me how to drive his truck the day that I met him. I had so much fun with his crazy, adventurous self that night and I will never forget it. Even though I had only met him a few times, it was enough to know how amazing and kindhearted he truly was. I am so sorry about this awful tragedy and I will be praying for every single one of you during this hard time. Rest easy, Danny♡

44. Sorry about your son Melanie. Rip sweet soul. No mother or father should ever have to go through losing a child.

45. He work with my boyfriend and im am so sorry for his familys lose he was a very nice person as of Sat heaven has a new Angel

46. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

47. D Lester says:

Horrible tragedy for this young man, family and friends. As a rider in this valley, a husband and father, I grieve every time I see a rider lose his life. Blessings and prayers to you, the family and friends of this young man. Rest In Peace.

48. Mary Andres Mary Andres says:

Prayers for the family 🙏

49. My heart goes out to this family.

50. Rip Danny, you never failed at putting a smile on my face and giving Jessie Edwards and I endless laughs. 😞💜 such a sweet soul taken too soon.

Sunday, Oct 22, 2017
OutWest Owners Jim and Bobbi Jean Bell Ride East Into the Sunrise
Bobbi Jean and her husband Jim Bell, whose OutWest clothing store and popular TV concert series celebrated all things Western and equestrian and helped revitalize Old Town Newhall over the past decade, will soon ride east into the sunrise: They’re moving to New Mexico.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat alert as high temperatures have been forecast for the Los Angeles Basin on Monday, October 23 through Tuesday, October 24.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
Caltrans added nearly 1,200 lane miles of pavement repair and 66 bridges to its growing list of projects to be delivered sooner than planned, thanks to the imminent influx of revenue from the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 (SB 1), the transportation funding and reform package passed in April.

OutWest Owners Jim and Bobbi Jean Bell Ride East Into the Sunrise
1898 - Birth of Mary S. Ruiz, eldest child of Enrique & Rosaria Ruiz of San Francisquito Canyon; all died in 1928 dam disaster [cemetery census]
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a sexual assault suspect was arrested Thursday night. Plus, some great weekend events. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 20, 2017
Forever Fit SCV, a Santa Clarita sports and personal fitness training company, will host a "Pumpkin Workout" at its Centre Pointe location on Saturday, October 28, starting at 9 a.m.
Oct. 25: Pumpkin Workout Benefits American Cancer Society
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.
Oct. 25: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
The LA County Public Defender has won the Silver Eagle Award for its Public Defender Jail Liaison Program during the 31st Annual Productivity and Quality Awards Ceremony on Oct. 18 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
LA County Public Defender Soars with Silver Eagle Award
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures has received three major gifts toward the creation of the museum in Los Angeles, bringing fundraising to more than $300M, nearly 80 percent of its $388M campaign goal.
Motion Picture Museum Nears $388M Campaign Goal
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
The city of Santa Clarita and SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc. invite the public to attend a special ceremony unveiling the new Fallen Warriors Monument at Veterans Historical Plaza in Newhall on Wednesday, November 8 starting at 10 a.m.
Nov. 8: City Unveils Fallen Warriors Monument in Newhall
Crime Prevention deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station along with Los Angeles County Probation Department officers conducted probation compliance searches Friday throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff Station's public safety report for Canyon Country (West), aka Zone 7, for October 2 through October 8, 2017
Crime Blotter: Robbery, Grand Theft in Canyon Country West
A suspect has been arrested in the investigation of an alleged sexual assault, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station officials.
Suspect Arrested in Alleged Sexual Assault
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teens in the United States and a concern the California Highway Patrol addresses with its "Start Smart" program.
CHP Helps New Drivers with ‘Start Smart’ Classes
The California High-Speed Rail Authority punted one of the most important decisions during its monthly meeting Thursday, stoking concerns the entity is not moving quickly enough on the $64 billion project.
California’s Bullet Train Board Delays Award of Key Contract
An extensive investigation by the county of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs in conjunction with the office of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has resulted in a lawsuit announced today by the Attorney General against retailer Curacao.
AG Sues Retailer Curacao for Allegedly Preying on Consumers
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]
CHESTERFIELD, MO — NewGround, a St. Louis-based experiential design-build firm, recently teamed up with Logix Federal Credit Union to work on a large scale facility project, a new corporate headquarters building for the full-service credit union in the Burbank, California area.
Valencia Will Soon be Home to Logix Federal Credit Union Headquarters
The CSUN women's volleyball team (10-9, 4-3 Big West) opens the second half of the Big West season this week as the Matadors head up the coast this week for road tests at No. 23 Cal Poly (17-2, 7-0 Big West) and UC Santa Barbara (4-15, 3-4 Big West). CSUN, coming off a tough five-set loss to Hawai'i at home, is 3-4 in seven road matches this season but has won two of three Big West road contests.
Matadors Volleyball Testing Their Skills on the Road
No. 5 College of the Canyons defeated L.A. Mission College 3-0 on Wednesday to earn its eighth consecutive match and fifth straight sweep. Set scores were 25-15, 25-11, and 25-20.
Cougars Volleyball Earns Fifth Straight Sweep
CSUN Women's Soccer (7-4-5, 3-1-1 BWC) looks to move up in the Big West standings this week as it hosts UC Irvine on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Matadors Get Ready for Big West Matchups
Behind Julio Rubio's goal in the 11th minute CSUN defeated UC Riverside 1-0 in Big West Conference men's soccer action Wednesday night.
Matadors’ Lone Goal Enough to Hold Off UC Riverside
Northridge, CA – CSUN Athletics officially opened its new satellite athletic training facility on Thursday at an event featuring Athletic Director Dr. Brandon Martin, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Steven Grech, student-athletes, coaches, staff and campus partners.
Matadors Student-Athletes Welcome New Training Facility
Want unique gifts and a shopping experience unlike any other?
Nov. 18-19: City’s Annual Two-Day Fine Craft Show
City officials gathered Wednesday for the Grand Opening of "Three Oaks," the first 100 percent affordable family development in Santa Clarita.
Affordable Housing Comes to Santa Clarita
The Gibbon Conservation Center will celebrate Halloween for the first time on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 28: Gibbon Conservation Center Celebrates First Halloween
California State University, Northridge is partnering with the California State University Entertainment Alliance to host a morning of workshops designed to offer students and members of the public advice on building successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Oct. 23: CSUN Workshop; Succeeding in Entertainment Industry
Spotlight Arts Center, a local non-profit that provides free performing and visual arts classes to children in the Santa Clarita Valley, will hold its Fall Festival, Sunday, Oct. 22 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 22: Fall Festival Spotlight Arts Center
The College of the Canyons Athletics department is inviting all players, coaches and cheerleaders associated with a Santa Clarita Valley youth sports league or cheer organization to attend Saturday's Cougar football game free of charge.
Oct. 21: SCV Youth Teams Invited to Free COC Football Game
College of the Canyons freshmen Joanna Roecker and Cassandra Lee both turned in scores of 79 to lead the Cougars to a second place team finish at the Western State Conference (WSC) event hosted by Glendale College at Brookside Golf Course on Monday.
COC Falls Short at WSC Glendale
Beginning Monday, October 23, 2017, the city of Santa Clarita will increase the frequency of street sweeping throughout all areas of the City.
Oct. 23: City Begins Increased Street Sweeping Frequency
In a battle for Western State Conference, East Division supremacy, it was College of the Canyons that came out on top Tuesday night, as the Cougars scored two second half goals to secure a 2-0 win against visiting Antelope Valley College. Justine Hoeft and Jennifer Roney collected goals for the Cougars (11-2, 2-0).
COC Secures Win Against AVC With Two Second-Half Goals
The upcoming 10-year anniversary of the Buckweed Fires offers Santa Clarita residents a reminder of the ever-present fire danger in Los Angeles County, as blazes ravage the northern half of the state, as well.
Officials Reflect on 10-Year Anniversary of Buckweed Fires