Clear
Clear

January 19
1967 - Original airing of Star Trek "Arena" Episode: Kirk battles the Gorn commander (Saugus resident Bobby Clark) at Vasquez Rocks [watch]

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

[KHTS] – The motorcyclist killed in a single-vehicle traffic collision on Newhall Ranch Road Saturday evening has been identified.

Daniel Curry Jr., 21, struck a fire hydrant at approximately 2:58 p.m. at the intersection of Newhall Ranch Road and Golden Valley Road, said officials with the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

Curry later succumbed to his injuries after being transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

The incident caused water to flow into the street, but was shut off approximately 30 minutes later at 3:29 p.m., said Los Angeles County Fire Department Supervisor Cheryl Sims.

1. Devon Caddy Devon Caddy says:

my friend , he was on his way to work and me and a massive group of family and friends all heard what had happened. we love you danny. R.I.P. we love you and miss you so much <3

2. Sabrina Lewis Tyler Joy

3. Thomas Stefanski anyone you know?

4. Rip fellow rider. Carve up that afterlife

5. Poor kid. motorcyclists must acknowledge such possibilities each time they ride. Doesn’t make it any less a tragedy when it happens.

6. Sad😔RIP Dear Soul🌟💫💫

7. Yesel Prado Yesel Prado says:

Mariela Jessica Grossman

8. What’s with that picture above with a person texting while driving. He was riding a motorcycle not texting and riding!!

• Edwin Mendez Edwin Mendez says:

Shes a ignorant person who wants likes … u really think a motorcyclist would be texting …. im Sorry for your lost and sorry you have to see these horrible comments

9. Lisa Orefice Lisa Orefice says:

So sad RIP. ☮☮☮

10. I’m his mom, I don’t want to see any negative comments on here. He was a safe driver and all of MY friends that rose with him and they all said that he was a safer driver at all times. He lost control

11. Carol Round Carol Round says:

Incredibly sad, praying for his family and friends.

12. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

13. So sad. RIP fellow rider.

14. So sorry for your loss. Prayers

15. Is this the bike vs hydrant you saw Michele

16. Dan Hoskins Dan Hoskins says:

RIP. All riders know the danger. Prayers for his family.

17. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I am very sorry for your and your families loss. Prayers for you.

18. Michele says:

I came up on this accident no more than a minute after it happened. It angered me to see a man park his car and start recording with his cell phone, while others just stood there with stupid “what should we do” looks on their faces. It was WATER – not flames. If you didn’t want to move the victim, I can understand that – but at LEAST shield him from the water that was pouring down on top of him so he didn’t drown in his helmet. Not one of you moved to help him. I rolled my window down and yelled for someone to get the water off him. Had I not had children in my car I would have gotten out and done it myself. To the disgusting @#*#%^ who recorded it on his cell phone, I hope karma bites you in the @#*. This was a human life, not some sideshow attraction.

19. Dan Seeder Dan Seeder says:

So very sad
    My prayers to his family and loved ones

GOD SPEED

20. Melanie and family I want to sent my thoughts and prayers during this troubling time and we my family r here for u if u need anything god bless and god speed

21. Austin Dean Austin Dean says:

I still can’t believe it…

22. So sorry for your loss Melanie Siebe McMorrow. ❤💔

23. Please people, stop making judgemental comments, this family is devestated.

24. Mark Genter Mark Genter says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Melanie, your in my prayers .

25. Let’s remember that this is a local young man. This is a loss to our community to lose a young light. Remember that his friends and family will read your comments. As a community we need to come together and support Melanie Siebe McMorrow and her family not show our evil judgments. We do not know the cause of the accident and whether he was going fast or not, he was still a life that left too soon. Shame on anyone who feels that their opinion trumps the hurt caused by the comment. We are a small community, he could have been any of our family or friends. Recently our small town has lost too many young lives. If you don’t believe in prayer at least be a good person and show compassion towards the loss. For me I will pray for the family to find strength during this time. Please excuse any grammatical errors as I wrote this from my phone.

26. RIP
    Prayers for u n family

27. Please note Melanie is a good friend of mine and is so devastated by what has happened to her pride and joy her Son for God sake. Please please respect her and her angel that was taken from her.

28. Heartbreaking!! We may not all know the family but know you are all surrounded by prayers!! I’m so sorry!!!! My heart aches for them 😔😔😔!!!!!

29. Family and friends should grieve the loss of this man not be worried about Facebook comments. Everyone has an opinion. Who cares what strangers say. You just lost a child, worry about that right now.

30. Sorry for your loss…prayers for your family♡♡♡

31. So sorry for your great loss.

32. Dave Pettis Dave Pettis says:

There is a saying for motorcyclist. There are 2 kinds of riders. Those that have gone down and those that will. Sad but true! I’m so sorry for your loss. All riders please be safe!

33. Jennifer Shaver says:

Melanie, I have no words. I didn’t realize that it was your son that passed when I saw the messages on Facebook. You are the sweetest person and an amazing Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I don’t know what to say other than send you my love, thoughts, condolences and prayers.

34. I had met your son a few times. He and my BF’s son Steven are friends and friends with Cole. They actually came to the house a few months ago. He was a very nice young man. We are so very sorry for your loss and send prayers for you and your family.

35. I worked with his Mom for many years and just saw her 2 weeks ago. She is amazing, sweet and genuine. My heart breaks for her.

36. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I’m so sorry. If you need anything please call or text me.
    RIP Danny

37. My heart goes out to this family! So very sorry for your loss 😞

38. Kim Stephens Kim Stephens says:

I’m so saddened to hear this. My heart aches for this young man’s family and friends.

39. Denise Cupp Wertz says:

I’ve been putting off sending my condolences to Melanie Siebe McMorrow and family because I cannot even imagine the pain she must be going through being a mother myself. I’m so sorry and it breaks my heart to hear that she is having to endure this.

40. RIP so tragic sorry for his families loss what a tragic day for Santa Clarita to young adults list there lives today

41. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

Prayers for his family! RIP Danny!

42. Christine says:

I didn’t know him very well. He was a coworker. I felt so very bad when they made the announcement and I didn’t even know his name. I have made it a point to speak to all my coworkers now and learn their names. I see his face a lot as if I’d just seen him. God is resting his soul. Peace be with you Danny.

43. Stephanie Horner says:

Danny was a friend of my brother, Steven. He took me out and taught me how to drive his truck the day that I met him. I had so much fun with his crazy, adventurous self that night and I will never forget it. Even though I had only met him a few times, it was enough to know how amazing and kindhearted he truly was. I am so sorry about this awful tragedy and I will be praying for every single one of you during this hard time. Rest easy, Danny♡

44. Sorry about your son Melanie. Rip sweet soul. No mother or father should ever have to go through losing a child.

45. He work with my boyfriend and im am so sorry for his familys lose he was a very nice person as of Sat heaven has a new Angel

46. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

47. D Lester says:

Horrible tragedy for this young man, family and friends. As a rider in this valley, a husband and father, I grieve every time I see a rider lose his life. Blessings and prayers to you, the family and friends of this young man. Rest In Peace.

48. Mary Andres Mary Andres says:

Prayers for the family 🙏

49. My heart goes out to this family.

50. Rip Danny, you never failed at putting a smile on my face and giving Jessie Edwards and I endless laughs. 😞💜 such a sweet soul taken too soon.

Friday, Jan 19, 2018
Jan. 22: Filming in Valencia Prompts Street Closures
On Monday, January 22, 2018, traffic on McBean Parkway, between Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard, will experience delays intermittently between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. due to filming involving a Cessna airplane that will land at Valencia Country Club. It is anticipated there will be fewer than five brief closures throughout the day and each will last for approximately two to five minutes.
Friday, Jan 19, 2018
Monroy Sentenced to 21 Years for 2016 Newhall Murder
Joseph Wayne Monroy, a South Gate man charged with the murder of a Newhall man in January 2016, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Los Angeles Superior Court today, and was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Friday, Jan 19, 2018
Brown Expands High-Speed Rail Exec Team to Move Project Forward
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has appointed Joseph Hedges to the position of Chief Operating Officer and Pamela Mizukami as Chief Deputy Director of the California High-Speed Rail Authority.

Jan. 22: Filming in Valencia Prompts Street Closures
Attorneys Brian Koegle and David Poole of Santa Clarita Valley law firm Poole & Shaffery, LLP will provide insight on legal matters affecting California businesses at the Valley Industry Association's February luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on February 20 starting at 11:45 a.m.
Feb. 20: VIA Luncheon, 2018 Employment Law Update
Oak Hills Educational Foundation and Oak Hills PTA will be hosting their annual science fair at Oak Hills School in Valencia in the form of an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Expo event on Jan. 23rd-26th.
Jan. 26: Oaks Hills STEM Expo
2017 was an exceptional year for the Santa Clarita Valley economy, and 2018 promises even more positive growth.
Live, Work, Play in SCV: All to Improve in 2018
Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation Mythbusters tackle a tough and persistent question: Is growing a community a good thing?
SCV EDC Mythbusters: Why Growth is Good
The nonprofit SCV Mayor’s Committee For Employment of Individuals with Disabilities will host its second annual Educate-Empower-Employ Recognition Luncheon at COC on Thursday, February 22.
Feb. 22: SCV Mayor’s Committee Annual Luncheon, Fundraiser
CalArts alumni will stage the second annual Co-Incidence Festival, an experimental music festival and residency hosted at Washington Street Gallery in Somerville, Massachusetts from Jan. 19-28.
Jan. 19-28: CalArtians Stage Co-Incidence Festival in Mass.
Monroy Sentenced to 21 Years for 2016 Newhall Murder
Brown Expands High-Speed Rail Exec Team to Move Project Forward
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health reports that influenza activity has declined over the last two weeks; however, activity is still widespread and higher than peak levels observed during recent seasons.
Flu Outbreak Eases in LA County, But Still Widepsread
The Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District has appointed Brittany Kruczynski as the new Director of Fiscal Services.
Kruczynski Named Hart District Fiscal Services Director
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies were out in force stepping up enforcement of pedestrian and bicycle safety laws and issued 69 citations to drivers Wednesday, but none to pedestrians.
SCV Deputies’ Pedestrian, Bike Safety Push Nets 69 Citations
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra today issued a statement calling out Acting Director Mick Mulvaney of the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for requesting a total of $0 for the agency's second-quarter budget.
State AG: ‘Trump Officials Treat Consumer Financial Protection as a Joke’
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next Regular Meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 6 p.m.
Jan. 23: City Council Regular Meeting
Amazon announced its list of top 20 finalists for their new headquarters Thursday, and the Los Angeles area -- including the Santa Clarita Valley -- was named among them.
LA, Including SCV’s Newhall Ranch, In the Running for Amazon’s HQ2
In an exciting conclusion of events, approximately 40 inmates who participated in the Education Based Incarceration program received either a high school diploma or certificate of completion for vocational training.
Largest Class of Inmates in Education Based Incarceration Program Graduates
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency (SCV Water) has selected its inaugural leadership to preside over the launch of the newly formed water provider.
SCV Water Selects Inaugural Leadership
Well V-205, located near McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd., was voluntarily removed from service in April 2012 when perchlorate was detected in low concentrations, below the Detection Level for Reporting (DLR).
Perchlorate at Out-of-Service Well Reaches Actionable Level
The Santa Clarita City Council will consider purchasing the 4,598-square-foot building Roger Dunn Golf Shop building in Newhall when the council meets next week.
City Eyeing Purchase of Roger Dunn Building
Here are the Santa Clarita arts-related events for Jan. 20 and Jan. 25:
Jan. 20, 25: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Following in the footsteps of her grandfather, dad, mom and several other family members, Erin Oxhorn-Gilpin always wanted to be a teacher.
CSUN Alumna Nabs Teacher of the Year
Legendary Band, "The Chieftains," will celebrate their 55th Anniversary with a performance at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (SCPAC), Saturday, Feb. 24, at 8:00 p.m.
Feb. 24: The Chieftains 55th Anniversary Tour
SEATTLE - Amazon reviewed 238 proposals from across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to host HQ2, the company’s second headquarters in North America.
Los Angeles on Short List of Amazon’s HQ2
The Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District Board of Directors will hold its Regular Meeting Friday at 11:30 a.m.
Jan. 19: SCV Sanitation District Regular Meeting
Kevin Young has been selected as the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) 2018 Katie Jacobson Writer-in-Residence. Young will conduct workshops with CalArts students in the MFA Creative Writing Program and present public readings, which will be held at CalArts on Feb. 15 at 7:00 p.m. and at REDCAT in Downtown Los Angeles on Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m.
The New Yorker’s Poetry Editor Selected as CalArts 2018 Writer-in-Residence
LOS ANGELES – The County Interim Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
Cold Weather Alert Issued for SCV
Here is the Valencia Crime Information and Public Safety report for the week of Jan. 1:
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Valencia
Here is the Saugus (Zone 4) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Saugus
Here is the Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) Public Safety and Crime Information Report for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Attempted Robbery, Grand Theft Auto, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
Here is the Newhall (Zone 6) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Commercial Burglary, Vehicle Burglary, Grand Theft in Newhall
1899 - Martin & Richard Wood buy J.H. Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, rename it Saugus Cafe [story]
The dismantling of a multi-state drug trafficking organization that used the U.S. Postal Service to mail packages of crystal methamphetamine and marijuana from California to traffickers in Pennsylvania since at least April 2016 - and the arrests of five leaders who spearheaded the corrupt organization, including two from the Santa Clarita Valley - were announced Wednesday by Montgomery County (Penn.) District Attorney Kevin R. Steele.
2 from SCV Netted in Major East Coast Drug Bust
With The Master's University's 2018 baseball season about to begin, TMU Sports Information Director Mason Nesbitt offers a preview.
TMU Previews Mustangs’ 2018 Baseball Season
Several CalArtians are among the Chicago-based United States Artists' annual fellowship class of 45 artists and collaboratives who will each receive an unrestricted $50,000 grant for their respective art practices.
CalArtians Among United States Artists’ New Fellowship Class
The TMU Mustangs' men's basketball team, on a 17-game winning streak, has moved up to No. 4 in the NAIA Division 1 Men's Basketball Coaches' Poll.
TMU Men’s Hoops Team Up to No. 4 in NAIA Coaches’ Poll