Mostly clear
Mostly clear

August 16
1956 - Battle of Palmdale rages over the skies of Santa Clarita [story]

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

[KHTS] – The motorcyclist killed in a single-vehicle traffic collision on Newhall Ranch Road Saturday evening has been identified.

Daniel Curry Jr., 21, struck a fire hydrant at approximately 2:58 p.m. at the intersection of Newhall Ranch Road and Golden Valley Road, said officials with the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

Curry later succumbed to his injuries after being transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

crash newhall ranch road

Photo: Rick McClure

The incident caused water to flow into the street, but was shut off approximately 30 minutes later at 3:29 p.m., said Los Angeles County Fire Department Supervisor Cheryl Sims.

1. Devon Caddy Devon Caddy says:

my friend , he was on his way to work and me and a massive group of family and friends all heard what had happened. we love you danny. R.I.P. we love you and miss you so much <3

2. Sabrina Lewis Tyler Joy

3. Thomas Stefanski anyone you know?

4. Rip fellow rider. Carve up that afterlife

5. Poor kid. motorcyclists must acknowledge such possibilities each time they ride. Doesn’t make it any less a tragedy when it happens.

6. Sad😔RIP Dear Soul🌟💫💫

7. Yesel Prado Yesel Prado says:

Mariela Jessica Grossman

8. What’s with that picture above with a person texting while driving. He was riding a motorcycle not texting and riding!!

• Edwin Mendez Edwin Mendez says:

Shes a ignorant person who wants likes … u really think a motorcyclist would be texting …. im Sorry for your lost and sorry you have to see these horrible comments

9. Lisa Orefice Lisa Orefice says:

So sad RIP. ☮☮☮

10. I’m his mom, I don’t want to see any negative comments on here. He was a safe driver and all of MY friends that rose with him and they all said that he was a safer driver at all times. He lost control

11. Carol Round Carol Round says:

Incredibly sad, praying for his family and friends.

12. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

13. So sad. RIP fellow rider.

14. So sorry for your loss. Prayers

15. Is this the bike vs hydrant you saw Michele

16. Dan Hoskins Dan Hoskins says:

RIP. All riders know the danger. Prayers for his family.

17. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I am very sorry for your and your families loss. Prayers for you.

18. Michele says:

I came up on this accident no more than a minute after it happened. It angered me to see a man park his car and start recording with his cell phone, while others just stood there with stupid “what should we do” looks on their faces. It was WATER – not flames. If you didn’t want to move the victim, I can understand that – but at LEAST shield him from the water that was pouring down on top of him so he didn’t drown in his helmet. Not one of you moved to help him. I rolled my window down and yelled for someone to get the water off him. Had I not had children in my car I would have gotten out and done it myself. To the disgusting @#*#%^ who recorded it on his cell phone, I hope karma bites you in the @#*. This was a human life, not some sideshow attraction.

19. Dan Seeder Dan Seeder says:

So very sad
    My prayers to his family and loved ones

GOD SPEED

20. Melanie and family I want to sent my thoughts and prayers during this troubling time and we my family r here for u if u need anything god bless and god speed

21. Austin Dean Austin Dean says:

I still can’t believe it…

22. So sorry for your loss Melanie Siebe McMorrow. ❤💔

23. Please people, stop making judgemental comments, this family is devestated.

24. Mark Genter Mark Genter says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Melanie, your in my prayers .

25. Let’s remember that this is a local young man. This is a loss to our community to lose a young light. Remember that his friends and family will read your comments. As a community we need to come together and support Melanie Siebe McMorrow and her family not show our evil judgments. We do not know the cause of the accident and whether he was going fast or not, he was still a life that left too soon. Shame on anyone who feels that their opinion trumps the hurt caused by the comment. We are a small community, he could have been any of our family or friends. Recently our small town has lost too many young lives. If you don’t believe in prayer at least be a good person and show compassion towards the loss. For me I will pray for the family to find strength during this time. Please excuse any grammatical errors as I wrote this from my phone.

26. RIP
    Prayers for u n family

27. Please note Melanie is a good friend of mine and is so devastated by what has happened to her pride and joy her Son for God sake. Please please respect her and her angel that was taken from her.

28. Heartbreaking!! We may not all know the family but know you are all surrounded by prayers!! I’m so sorry!!!! My heart aches for them 😔😔😔!!!!!

29. Family and friends should grieve the loss of this man not be worried about Facebook comments. Everyone has an opinion. Who cares what strangers say. You just lost a child, worry about that right now.

30. Sorry for your loss…prayers for your family♡♡♡

31. So sorry for your great loss.

32. Dave Pettis Dave Pettis says:

There is a saying for motorcyclist. There are 2 kinds of riders. Those that have gone down and those that will. Sad but true! I’m so sorry for your loss. All riders please be safe!

33. Jennifer Shaver says:

Melanie, I have no words. I didn’t realize that it was your son that passed when I saw the messages on Facebook. You are the sweetest person and an amazing Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I don’t know what to say other than send you my love, thoughts, condolences and prayers.

34. I had met your son a few times. He and my BF’s son Steven are friends and friends with Cole. They actually came to the house a few months ago. He was a very nice young man. We are so very sorry for your loss and send prayers for you and your family.

35. I worked with his Mom for many years and just saw her 2 weeks ago. She is amazing, sweet and genuine. My heart breaks for her.

36. Melanie Siebe McMorrow I’m so sorry. If you need anything please call or text me.
    RIP Danny

37. My heart goes out to this family! So very sorry for your loss 😞

38. Kim Stephens Kim Stephens says:

I’m so saddened to hear this. My heart aches for this young man’s family and friends.

39. Denise Cupp Wertz says:

I’ve been putting off sending my condolences to Melanie Siebe McMorrow and family because I cannot even imagine the pain she must be going through being a mother myself. I’m so sorry and it breaks my heart to hear that she is having to endure this.

40. RIP so tragic sorry for his families loss what a tragic day for Santa Clarita to young adults list there lives today

41. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

Prayers for his family! RIP Danny!

42. Christine says:

I didn’t know him very well. He was a coworker. I felt so very bad when they made the announcement and I didn’t even know his name. I have made it a point to speak to all my coworkers now and learn their names. I see his face a lot as if I’d just seen him. God is resting his soul. Peace be with you Danny.

43. Stephanie Horner says:

Danny was a friend of my brother, Steven. He took me out and taught me how to drive his truck the day that I met him. I had so much fun with his crazy, adventurous self that night and I will never forget it. Even though I had only met him a few times, it was enough to know how amazing and kindhearted he truly was. I am so sorry about this awful tragedy and I will be praying for every single one of you during this hard time. Rest easy, Danny♡

44. Sorry about your son Melanie. Rip sweet soul. No mother or father should ever have to go through losing a child.

45. He work with my boyfriend and im am so sorry for his familys lose he was a very nice person as of Sat heaven has a new Angel

46. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

47. D Lester says:

Horrible tragedy for this young man, family and friends. As a rider in this valley, a husband and father, I grieve every time I see a rider lose his life. Blessings and prayers to you, the family and friends of this young man. Rest In Peace.

48. Mary Andres Mary Andres says:

Prayers for the family 🙏

49. My heart goes out to this family.

50. Rip Danny, you never failed at putting a smile on my face and giving Jessie Edwards and I endless laughs. 😞💜 such a sweet soul taken too soon.

Thursday, Aug 16, 2018
Detectives Seek Help in Locating Missing Fire Captain
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Missing Persons Unit detectives are seeking the public’s assistance in locating Wayne Stuart Habell.
Thursday, Aug 16, 2018
Unhealthy Air Quality Declared in SCV Friday
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive individuals in Santa Clarita Valley tomorrow, Friday, Aug. 17.
Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018
Park Service Opposes Rim Addition, Defers on Dam Bill
The U.S. Interior Department is against adding the Rim of the Valley Corridor to the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation area, and it won't take a stand on the proposed St. Francis Dam Memorial legislation because it's an issue for the Agriculture Department, not the Interior Department.

The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation, in collaboration with The Friends of Hart Park, presents its, “7th Annual Summer Movies in the Park Series."
Aug. 17: Black Panther to Close Out Summer Movies in the Park Series
LANCASTER – The University of Antelope Valley (UAV) baseball program is pleased to announce the additions of 6-1 utility player Edmond Marcotte, 6-0 utility player Kyle Lathrop, and 6-1 pitcher Austin Grabbit, with all three players coming over to UAV from Antelope Valley College in Lancaster, Calif.
University of Antelope Valley Adds 3 New Players to Baseball Program
College of the Canyons is partnering with AMS Fulfillment to offer 30 pre-apprenticeships in the logistics field—one of the fastest growing industries in Los Angeles County—to individuals who need job readiness skills to gain employment.
COC Partners with Local Fulfillment Company to Offer Pre-Apprenticeships
Children and young adults need to be protected before heading back to school.
County Encourages Parents to Stay Current on School Immunizations
Well, I don't know but I've been told, you’ll never slow down, you’ll never grow old with the music of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Tribute Band Free Falls into Concerts in the Park
Mayor Laurene Weste, Mayor Pro Tem Marsha McLean, Councilmembers Bob Kellar, Bill Miranda and Cameron Smyth cordially invite you to the 2018 State of the City Luncheon to be held on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m., at the Hyatt Regency Valencia.
Oct. 25: “Santa Clarita – City of the Arts” State of the City Luncheon
To keep grass at parks green and lush despite constant use, the city of Santa Clarita Parks division works hard to maintain the high quality fields residents love.
City Aerates, Renovates Parks Ahead of Fall
The Saugus Union School District is very pleased to announce the awarding of two grants to provide arts education in the district.
County Arts Commission, Music Center Awarding Grants to Saugus Union
The New Heights Artist Development Series will be holding a free presentation on taxes and artists.
Aug. 23: New Heights Artist Development Series, “Taxes and the Artist”
After thirteen years of service, Saugus Union School District (SUSD) Governing Board Member Paul De La Cerda announced on Friday that he will not be seeking re-election.
Saugus School Board Member to Pursue Doctorate; Won’t Seek Re-Election
LANCASTER, Calif. – On the heels of their longest winning streak of the season, the Lancaster JetHawks are in the midst of their longest losing streak after a 6-4 defeat at the hands of Stockton Wednesday night at The Hangar. The loss was Lancaster’s fifth in a row.
Stockton Hands JetHawks 5th Straight Loss
Detectives Seek Help in Locating Missing Fire Captain
Unhealthy Air Quality Declared in SCV Friday
1956 - Battle of Palmdale rages over the skies of Santa Clarita [story]
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has selected Ricardo Garcia to be the county’s new Public Defender.
Supes Name Ricardo Garcia New LA County Public Defender
The seven Los Angeles County animal shelters including the Castaic Animal Care Center will offer $20 adoption fees for dogs and free adoption for cats on Saturday, August 18 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Aug. 18: Cheap, Free Pet Adoptions at Castaic Shelter
Park Service Opposes Rim Addition, Defers on Dam Bill
Air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive people in the SCV on Thursday, according to an advisory from the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
Air Quality Unhealthy for SCV Residents Thursday
FOX Sports Prime Ticket, in partnership with the CIF Southern Section, will launch its TV-web coverage of the 2018 high school football season on Friday, Aug. 17.
Aug. 17: Friday Night High School Football Returns to Prime Ticket
The Lancaster JetHawks scored twice and put the tying run on base in the bottom of the ninth inning, but it was not enough in a 5-4 loss to the Stockton Ports Tuesday night at The Hangar.
Late JetHawks Rally Comes Up Short Against Ports
The Los Angeles Dodgers reinstated left-handed pitcher Alex Wood from the 10-day disabled list Thursday and placed right-handed pitcher John Axford on the 10-day disabled list with a fractured right fibula.
Dodgers Reinstate Pitcher Alex Wood
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released its crime and public safety information report for Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) for the week of Aug. 6-12, 2018.
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, GTA in Stevenson Ranch
1849 - Eight-pound gold nugget found in San Feliciano Canyon (Val Verde/Piru area) [story]
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Aug. 15 - Aug. 17:
Aug. 15-17: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Walk season is quickly approaching, and it's time to turn up the heat in the fight to end Alzheimer's.
Walk to End Alzheimer’s Offers up New Challenge
Twelve people are challenging incumbent Mayor Laurene Weste, Mayor Pro-tem Marsha McLean and Councilman Bill Miranda in the upcoming November 6 election. They are:
List of Candidates Running for City Council Released
As always with the schools, there is going to be congestion twice per day with the drop off and pick up of students. Drivers need to be extra patient in these areas to help traffic flow.
SCV Sheriff’s Offer Back to School Safety Tips
The Valley Industry Association will be holding its, "Hot August Nights Party," on Thursday, Aug. 23, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for a night of fun, friends and a little business.
Aug. 23: Valley Industry Association’s Hot August Nights Party
Your personal brand is the engine of a successful career. Having a strong online presence can lead to new jobs and career opportunities.
COC’s Community Education to Hold Personal Branding Workshop
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee (CCAC) will hold their next meeting Wednesday, Aug. 15 from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Aug. 15: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
Santa Clarita RE/MAX Realtor Josh Sinatra, of Sinatra Real Estate, spearheads back-to-school donation drive to help people in need.
Local Realtor Hosting Shoe Donation Drive for People in Need
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital is pleased to announce that Logix Federal Credit Union has generously stepped forward to sponsor a palliative care teddy bear program at the hospital to help children feel supported and comforted when faced with the passing of a parent.
Logix Steps Forward to Help Henry Mayo’s Palliative Bear Program
The Santa Clarita Valley Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) actively encourages parents or community members who know of a child (birth to age 22) who may have special needs to contact their local school district office.
SCV School Districts Providing Services for Students with Special Needs
The WiSH Education Foundation is thrilled to announce that its fourth annual signature event, Cocktails on the Roof, is back on Sept. 7, 2018. The event runs from 8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sept. 7:  Cocktails on the Roof Benefiting WiSH Foundation
Here is the Newhall Public Safety and Crime Information Report for July 30, 2018 - Aug. 5, 2018:
Crime Blotter: Petty Theft, Commercial Burglary in Newhall
RANCHO CUCAMONGA – After sweeping Rancho Cucamonga in Lancaster last weekend, the JetHawks were swept by the Quakes at LoanMart Field after falling Sunday afternoon, 5-2. The JetHawks scored the first two runs of the game, but were held to just three hits after.
Quakes Sweep JetHawks