Kaiser Permanente is committed to keeping its members healthy as they age. While chronic diseases are among the most costly of all health problems, they are also the most preventable. And, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance, there’s no health system in the nation that’s more proficient at preventing several of the most common chronic diseases than Kaiser Permanente.
For the sixth year in a row, a Kaiser Permanente Medicare plan is No. 1 in the nation for breast cancer screening, according to the 2015 NCQA Quality Compass dataset. Kaiser Permanente is also ranked No.1 in eight other measures, including colorectal cancer screening (third year in a row) and osteoporosis management in women who had a fracture (seventh year in a row).
“Many Kaiser Permanente members have had their lives saved by our preventive practices,” said Patrick Courneya, MD, executive vice president and chief medical officer for Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and Kaiser Foundation Health Plan. “While Kaiser Permanente’s excellence is grounded in our clinical experience and evidence-based medicine approach, our focus on prevention and early intervention gives our members better opportunities for wellness.”
According to the 2015 NCQA Quality Compass data, Kaiser Permanente received top marks for:
* Breast cancer screening (Mid-Atlantic States Region)
* Colorectal cancer screening (Mid-Atlantic States Region)
* Adult BMI assessment (tie, Georgia Region and Mid-Atlantic States Region)
* Use of spirometry testing in assessment and diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD) disease (Southern California Region)
* Comprehensive diabetes care — HbA1c testing (Northern California Region)
* Comprehensive diabetes care — medical attention for nephropathy (Mid-Atlantic States Region)
* Osteoporosis management in women who had a fracture (Mid-Atlantic States Region)
* Pharmacotherapy management of COPD exacerbation — bronchodilator (Southern California Region)
* Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug therapy for rheumatoid arthritis (Southern California Region)
NCQA’s annual Quality Compass dataset for Medicare assesses the performance of national health plans on 28 of the most important clinical and service standards, including medication management and respiratory conditions. Of the nearly 400 Medicare health plans considered by NCQA, no plan had more No. 1 ratings than Kaiser Permanente’s nine top rankings.
“We are proud of the results from NCQA, but more importantly, we are proud that Kaiser Permanente is proactive in helping our members stay healthy and active as they age,” said Scott Young, MD, associate executive director, The Permanente Federation, the national organization for the nearly 18,000 physicians who provide care to Kaiser Permanente’s members. “At Kaiser Permanente, our highly coordinated care teams, supported by technology and practices such as the proactive office encounter, ensure our members get the screenings, vaccines and medications we know can make a difference in their health.”
This recognition by NCQA is the latest in a string of national honors Kaiser Permanente’s Medicare health plans and services have received in the past several months:
* Medicare Star Quality Ratings. In 2015, six of Kaiser Permanente’s seven Medicare health plans received an overall rating of 5 stars, the highest rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Kaiser Permanente’s Medicare plans in California have been rated 5 stars for five consecutive years.
* NCQA Health Insurance Plan ratings 2015-2016 — Medicare. All Kaiser Permanente Medicare plans were the highest rated in each of the areas were the organization serves.
* Outstanding Medicare Advantage Plans Website. Kaiser Permanente’s Medicare health plan website, kp.org/medicare, received top marks from HealthMetrix Research Inc. for offering Medicare consumers an easy, positive and high-value experience.
NCQA is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality. NCQA accredits and certifies a wide range of health care organizations. It also recognizes clinicians and practices in key areas of performance. NCQA is committed to providing health care quality information for consumers, purchasers, health care providers and researchers.
About Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. We are recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente has a mission to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve. We currently serve more than 10 million members in eight states and theDistrict of Columbia. Care for members and patients is focused on their total health and guided by their personal physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our expert and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: kp.org/share.