Last week, January 11, 2016 -January 17, 2016, the following crimes were reported in the Newhall area:
– Petty theft at a business near the 24200 block of Lyons Ave. Suspect(s) unknown entered the victim’s unlocked vehicle and stole her passport off of the front passenger seat.
– Burglary to a vehicle occurred near Dockweiler Dr / Ivy Ln. Suspect(s) unknown entered the victim’s locked camper shell, which was attached to the bed of a pick-up truck, and stole items. There were no signs of forced entry.
– Residential burglary occurred near the block of 20900 Costa Brava Dr. Suspect(s) unknown forced entry into the residence by prying open a kitchen window.
– Residential burglary occurred near the 23700 block of Via Canon Dr. Suspect(s) unknown forced entry through a locked front door.
– Residential burglary occurred near the 23600 block of Meadowridge Dr. Suspect(s) forced entry into the victim’s residence through a living room sliding glass door.
– Grand theft occurred near Railroad Ave/ 9th St. Suspect(s) unknown stole the victim’s trailer parked at location.
– Robbery occurred near 24100 Lyons Ave. The suspect entered the business, selected store items and exited the location without making any attempt to pay for the merchandise. The suspect was approached outside by a loss prevention agent and asked to return the stolen items. An altercation ensued and the suspect was ultimately subdued and arrested by responding deputies.
How to Prevent Home Burglary
Make your home look occupied, and make it difficult to break in.
Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
Keep your garage door closed and locked.
Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
Pushbutton locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
Other windows may need better locks. Check with a locksmith or hardware store for alternatives.
Deputy Betsy Shackelford
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station
Crime Prevention Unit- Newhall (Zone 6)
Station: (661) 255-1121 Ext. 4283 Fax: (661) 253-0124