The CSUN women’s tennis team (6-8) defeated Connecticut 5-2 Thursday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. Sophomore Kiryang Kim delivered her best performance of the season, winning in straight sets in singles to key a Matador victory over the Huskies.
“Having Ki play at that level against a quality opponent gives us a big lift and is great to see,” CSUN head coach Gary Victor said. “Kristen also played outstanding today all day and we battled in every match against some tough opposition.”
Kim and teammate Mari Taslagyan picked up CSUN’s first win in doubles play Thursday, winning 6-3 in their No. 3 draw to improve to 7-3 on the season. Mickey Hsu and Poei then posted a 6-3 victory in the top doubles draw to give the Matadors the early 1-0 advantage.
In singles action, Kim won 7-5 and 6-0 in her No. 5 draw to clinch the victory for CSUN. She is 3-8 on the season in singles action.
Poei tied the match at 2-2 and was the first Matador to win in singles with a 6-1, 6-2 decision in the fourth draw. She is now 6-5 in singles action in 2016.
Hsu won the top-seeded singles contest in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-4, to improve to 7-6 on the year. Taslagyan won her No. 6 draw in three sets and completed the comeback to improve to 7-6 on the year as well.
CSUN returns to action on Sunday, Mar. 20 with a home contest against Cal Poly. First serve in the Big West match is set for 11 a.m. from Matador Tennis Complex.
CSUN 5 UConn 2
March 17, 2016
1. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Stosljevic/Fitz-Randolph (UConn) 6-3
2. Alderman/Pletnyeva (UConn) def. Lin/Alcon (CSUN) 6-2
3. Kim/Taslagyan (CSUN) def. Flanagan/Lazaro (UConn) 6-3
1. Hsu (CSUN) def. Stosljevic (UConn) 6-1, 6-4
2. Alderman (UConn) def. Lin (CSUN) 6-1, 6-0
3. Pletnyeva (UConn) def. Alcon (CSUN) 7-5, 6-2
4. Poei (CSUN) def. Fitz-Randolph (UConn) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kim (CSUN) def. Flanagan (UConn) 7-5, 6-0
6. Taslagyan (CSUN) def. Zaki (UConn) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2