NORTHRIDGE, CA – A final round 296 kept the CSUN men’s golf team in 17th place at the conclusion of the Wyoming Cowboy Classic Tuesday at Whirlwind C.C. in Chandler, AZ.
After opening the tournament with a 301 which left them 19th, the Matadors moved up to 17th following a second round 291. Tuesday’s 296 however was not good enough to move CSUN out of 17th place in the 19-team field. Colorado fired a team final round 281 to overtake Sam Houston State and claim the team title at 21-under 843.
Felix Mory was the Matadors’ low scorer for the third time in six spring tournaments and fifth time this season as the junior from Bourghelles, France tied for XXth at one-under 215. Mory narrowly missed posting his fifth top 20 finish by one place. With rounds of 73-70-72, the CSUN junior lowered his season scoring average to a team-leading 73.7. Opening the final round of the 13th hole, Mory birdied two of his first five holes before a bogey at No. 18 dropped him back to one-under where he stayed throughout.
Sam Engel moved up one spot on the leaderboard following a final round two-over 74. Engel, who came into the final round tied for 53rd at three-over 147, posted one birdie and three bogeys on Tuesday to finish at five-over 221 which was just two strokes off his season-low total.
Senior Tim Snyder posted his second round of one-over 73 on Tuesday to move 15 spots up the board. Snyder posted rounds of 73-76 on Monday and his final round 73 left him tied for 56th at six-over 222. Junior Tavit Garabedian, coming off a fifth-place finish at UC Irvine last week, posted rounds of 80-74-77 to finish tied for 96th at 15-over 231. Luis Calderon completed the starting five for the Matadors, finishing 106th at 21-over 237 following rounds of 79-80-78. Conrad White, competing as an individual, was 108th at 26-over 242 with scores of 85-78-79.
“It’s basically the same story for us in terms of consistency,” said CSUN head coach Jim Bracken. “Felix, Sam and Tim grinded it out today. None of the three had their ‘A’ game today but they battled and posted a respectable number. We just need better play throughout the lineup and I’ll be looking for better things next week at Santa Barbara.”
CSUN has its final tuneup before the Big West Championship next week (Apr. 11-12) as the Matadors travel to Santa Barbara for the OGIO UCSB Invitational at Sandpiper G.C. The conference championship is scheduled for May 2-4 at Wood Ranch Golf Club in Simi Valley.
WYOMING COWBOY CLASSIC
Apr. 4-5, 2016
TEAM RESULTS (19 TEAMS)
1. Colorado 290-272-281–843 (-21)
2. Sam Houston State 280-278-293–851 (-13)
3. Wyoming 276-286-290–852 (-12)
4. William & Mary 287-288-286–861 (-3)
5. Western Kentucky 286-285-291–862 (-2)
5. UC Santa Barbara 287-289-286–862 (-2)
17. CSUN 301-291-296–888 (+24)
1. Jeremy Paul, Colorado 69-68-68–205 (-11)
1. Jake McCrory, SHSU 66-68-71–205 (-11)
1. Brandon Bauman, UCSB 67-70-68–205 (-11)
1. Jordan Gumberg, Arizona 68-70-67–205 (-11)
5. Ryan Wallen, Wyoming 71-69-68–208 (-8)
5. Austin Morrison, W&M 70-72-66–208 (-8)
7. Kamrin Allen, Wyoming 67-71-71–209 (-7)
8. Tanner Jensen, USU 72-70-68–210 (-6)
9. David Hicks, W&M 69-71-71–211 (-5)
9. Ross Macdonald, Colorado 72-69-70–211 (-5)
17. CSUN 301-291-296–888
T21. Felix Mory 73-70-72–215 (-1)
T52. Sam Engel 76-71-74–221 (+5)
T56. Tim Snyder 73-76-73–222 (+6)
T96. Tavit Garabedian 80-74-77–231 (+15)
106. Luis Calderon 79-80-78–237 (+21)
108. Conrad White* 85-78-79–242 (+26)
* – competed as an individual