Clear
Clear

October 20
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]

| Monday, Oct 3, 2016
josemarialucatero
Jose and Maria Lucatero, owners of Margarita's Mexican Grill in Valencia, are seen here with their award this year from SCV Elite Magazine for the best margarita in town. Photo: Margarita's Mexican Grill.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials have identified a Saugus murder victim as Maria Lucatero, 56.

Lucatero’s body was discovered  by her husband shortly after 1 p.m. Monday in their Saugus home in the 19500 block of Castille Lane. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper torso and was pronounced dead upon arrival of emergency responders.

Their couple’s son, Jesse Lucatero, 24, was detained for questioning and eventually arrested on suspicion of murder Monday night. He is being held at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station in lieu of $2 million bail.

According to published news reports, relatives said Jesse Lucatero suffers from mental illness.

Maria and husband Jose Lucatero are the owners of Margarita’s Mexican Grill in Valencia.

“We are so sorry to announce we lost one of our own today,” restaurant employees said on the business’ Facebook page. “The one who taught us hard work and respect pays off. Our beloved boss, bronze and brains behind the operations, chef, mother, CEO, wife, aunt, guardian, boss lady. RIP Maria!”

187_100316

1. Near Fire Station off Plum Canyon

2. Did you see the one about the mail too!! I reposted!!

3. That explains the helicopter

4. The helicopters are flying for a while now… hope they find what they are looking for

5. I just drove over to the area and it’s all roped off with new stations police helicopters not good

6. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

Very sad, pray for this family.

7. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

NickandShannon Frankina

8. Mahsa Motavvef this is next door to us

9. Stacy Brown Stacy Brown says:

Where is this exactly?

10. Michele Aloe Michele Aloe says:

Prayers for this family during this difficult time.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

11. Prayers for the family 🙏🏽

12. Carol Hughes Carol Hughes says:

Sending prayers!🙏🏻🙏🏻

13. So sad! Sending prayers!
    Sis Laiza Boone Ronald Boone close to your place.

14. It was the owner of margaritas in Valencia

15. My prayers for the family. I knew Maria only as a great hostess, wonderful business owner and community partner. All of SCV mourns with the family.

16. Horrible, praying for the family…

17. Wen Ren Wen Ren says:

Oh my. Prayers for the family as well as the community. RIP Maria

18. This is horrible! My condolences to Maria’s family and extended family at Margaritas…

19. My condolences to the Lucatero family.

20. Lo siento mucho Johnny, Jeff, Jose y el resto de la familia. Les deseo pronta resignacion.

21. Cuando estaba chica, yo le pedía a mi papa que me compara un carro “como el de Maria, un solara convertible”. .. my condolences Lucatero family. Que dios les de fuerza para perdonar y el tiempo para sanar.

22. Blanca Arciga isn’t this where Gloria work? Was this her sister?

23. Jorge A RodriguezRealtor

24. MarisolMarisol ayi es a donde vas

25. Joe Diaz Joe Diaz says:

RIP María and prayers to this family

26. Deepest condolences & prayers to all.

27. Very sad. We have gone there many times. They have both greeted us and were very welcoming. So so sad. Prayers for the family

28. Kata Ford my heart is so sad!! 😢

29. No hay palabras de consuelo para tanto dolor solo el tiempo nos ayuda a sanarun abrazo jose y gladys hoyos

30. Carey-Ann Duran-Liptow

31. Lisa Sweet-Graham Nena Marquez Ochwatt

32. This is beyond heartbreaking…May God comfort the family at this time, including the son…This is something that poor boy has to live with for the rest of his life…

33. Sandy Fisher Sandy Fisher says:

My prayers are with Jose and his family. Maria and Jose have always been so welcoming whenever my family went to dine at Margarita’s. Such a tragic loss.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

This is so sad. Best Mexican food in SCV

35. The first restaurant we ate at after we first moved to Santa Clarita. Very tragic, so sorry for the family.

36. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

God bless your family. Our condolences.

37. Prayers for everyone involved. May God give you the strength to help you through this difficult time. 🙏🙏🙏

38. Oh no!! 😢 sending my prayers to the family. She was such a nice lady. So sorry for your loss🙏

39. Kyle Adler….remember them from taekwondo?!??

40. Joe Garel, Chelsea Cross Wilson, Val Bruyere

41. So terrible. Sad news.
    Or condolences to the family

42. Lety Diaz Lety Diaz says:

So sad prayers send to the family

43. Jonathan Colbert damn

44. Praying for the entire Margarita’s family. They have always been so kind and welcoming. What a tragedy. 😢

45. Wendy Chavarria Salcedo. This is so sad.

46. Gwen Kaye Gwen Kaye says:

My prayers are with the family.

47. So sad. Bless Jose and RIP, Maria.

48. This is so sad and devastating ! My prayers to you Jose and your family!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

49. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

Awww, Sending prayers to the family. So very sad.

50. Melissa Parsons Barnes Savanna Claiborne Alexis Claiborne

51. Heart breaking, wonderful lady taken too soon. Prayers for the family! Maria you will be missed!

52. Always so sweet and welcoming. What a loss.

53. Pérez Julio Pérez Julio says:

Araceli Martinez Lupiss Islas Susy Aguilar Stellin

54. Timothy Burks did you see this?

55. Mariza Scoglio Napoli did you know them?

56. So sorry to hear this. So tragic. Her poor family.

57. So sad.. Prayers to the family may they find peace in days to come.

58. So sorry for your loss 😢 We’ve eaten there many times and they were always welcoming . Our condolences and prayers are with the family 🙏❤️

59. Amy Graham Amy Graham says:

Vickie Frankina NickandShannon Frankina

60. Suzie Acosta 😌😌😌

61. My prayers to the family, mental illness is a terrible thing😞
    May she RIP

62. SAD!! Maria was one of the nicest person. Prayers from The Champion Family.

63. I just saw her walking at Central Park last week!! 🙏 such a lovely person!! 💔

64. So sad!!! How horrible!!! Praying for family.

65. Van Ha Van Ha says:

At first I would have never put the 2 incidents together but it’s this is shocking and sad.

66. I as thinking about them all night last night. So sad.

67. One of our favorite places to eat. Maria was so gracious and welcoming — the ultimate hostess. Her death is a real tragedy.

68. Lois Mikos Lois Mikos says:

So awful and sad😢

69. Roberto Leo Roberto Leo says:

Keri Leo Ken Jeffris

70. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to this wonderful family.

71. It’s so sad because I always recall the son taking our order and he always was so friendly but at the same time sketchy …Maria seemed like such a nice lady

72. Kyle McGraw weren’t you friends with him?

73. Rosie Donato Rosie Donato says:

Jose and Gloria my prayers are with you and cannot imagine something so awful God bless my prayers are with you🙏👼

74. Armando Jimenez Deborah Jimenez oh no!!!! Praying for this family!

75. We are both shocked and saddened to hear this news. Our heartfelt prayers are with our friends ar Margarita’s.

76. Jonathan Brutsche oh no! This is the place I wanted to go to😣

77. Bernt Powell Bernt Powell says:

Rob PowellShirl Powell

78. Myrna Jimenez-Parra did you see this? How sad :( She was so nice and welcoming from what I remember…prayers going out to their family..

79. Denny NNWofLA says:

Maria was kind and compassionate, a loving wife and mother. She worked so very hard to create this wonderful restaurant from scratch. I knew and respected her tremendously. A loss beyond words.

80. Ana Anderson Ana Anderson says:

I can’t believe this news. Maria may you RIP, we will miss your smiling face.

81. Pablo Tovar Pablo Tovar says:

Oh no they gave me my first job when I turned 16 I would have never thought anything like this would have happend

82. Penny Bender :-( did you see this?

83. Betis Brg Betis Brg says:

Oh wow so sad ! We went to eat last week my husband & I .
    Mis condolencias para toda
    La Familia Lo sentimos mucho Descanse en paz …..

84. How sad. My condolences to the family.

85. Britney Lois Britney Lois says:

LaDayzia Renae Janae’ LaNique look yall

86. Maria Smith Maria Smith says:

This is sad 😭 both my husband & I knew Jose & Maria so very well… our condolences to the family also our prayers are with you Jose. Maria you will be missed 💖💖💖

87. Penny Bender Penny Bender says:

Utter shock!😔😔

88. Megan Lewis Megan Lewis says:

Katherine Farr Thorpe

89. Emma Rose Emma Rose says:

Rachel Blankenship Eduardo Godinez Linda Seifert Hazeski wtf

90. Do Rah Do Rah says:

Elia Escobedo-Correa isn’t this where you have your events??

91. Nicole Llere Nicole Llere says:

Kelly Johnson Bickford omg!

92. Camron Keener made me think of you, I know your family loves that place as much as mine. Super sad

93. Daisy Amaya Daisy Amaya says:

This is just so sad…

94. She was so kind. We love going to Margarita’s and will surely miss her presence 😔

95. So sad my prayers are with you all..

96. How terrible. We have known them since back in The Fundangos days, they are such great people.

97. My deepest condolences. Prayers

98. So tragic!! They have always been so friendly.

99. This is so devestating for sure.

100. Really sad! I met her very nice lady

101. Shocking! 💗to the family.

102. Liz Alvarado Liz Alvarado says:

My condolences to the Family. We love the staff at Margarita’s. May God grant you peace and understanding during this difficult time. 🙏🏼

103. Asha Kakonde Asha Kakonde says:

Donjay KakondeDiva Kakonde🙁

104. A very sweet human being! May she rest in peace! My condolences to the family!

105. Ricki Lieberman and Family says:

We are so sorry! May Maria rest in peace! We have had many wonderful meals with all our friends at Margaritas Grill. Years of coming through the doors and being greeted by the entire Margarita Family! Our hearts and prayers are with you 😘😘😘😘😘

106. Another sad story in Santa Clarita.

107. Chinkie Paye Chinkie Paye says:

😔😭💔🙏oh Maria , I’m so sorry your no longer here with us . God bless you RIP and God bless & comfort your husband Jose & all the family . Antonia

108. Muy triste situación no hay palabras para describir ….

109. Karen Clark Karen Clark says:

Love this restaurant. My condolences to the family. 🙏

110. Betty Arguellez Ray Arguellez Richard Arguellez

111. Lisa Cruz Lisa Cruz says:

Prayers to the husband and rest of his family. How can a child kill one of his own parents.

112. God bless this family.

113. So very sorry for the family.

114. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

So very sad to hear about this. Sounds like the son was troubled 😟 just heartbreaking

115. Very sad😢 She was always so friendly and welcoming at her restaurant. I pray for the family.

116. So very heartbreaking. ..

117. RIP Maria a wonderful kind person My condolences to the family

118. Sooo sad…. Sick people in this crazy world.

119. Woah…. Chandra Neal we were just there and I think she helped us 😬

120. Rosy Martin Rosy Martin says:

This break my heart!!! Maria, you will always be in my heart ❤️!!!!

121. Kathy Horgan Kathy Horgan says:

Geez how tragic. Prayers for the family!!!

122. No this is just….. No

123. We were at Margaritas on Monday around 5pm. The place was dark and solemn without her there. I didn’t know this had happened. My condolences to the family and staff. God bless her🙏🏻

124. So very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you all, God be with you all

125. Paula Carrasco says:

My heart is broken for my dear friends. I have no words but I do have lots of prayers. I send all my love to José and his family.

126. Yecenia Currie did you see this? 😞

127. Prayers for the family. RIP Maria

128. Carmen Celis Carmen Celis says:

Ellos le dieron el primer trabajo a mi hija mi sentido pésame para toda la familia 😢que dios le de descanso eterno a dońa maria 🙏

129. Rena Tarrant Rena Tarrant says:

So sad prayers for her husband and family

130. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

Annamarie Rewal Glen Rewal

131. So sad … Tragic … Prayers go out to the family ….

132. Chandra Neal Chandra Neal says:

Cheryl Dlhos Pesterfield can you believe this?

133. So sad, we used to go to the restaurant all he time when we lived there. Prayers to all involved.

134. Sad deal. Super nice people.

135. Wendy White Wendy White says:

Didn’t this just open like a month ago?

136. Such a beautiful lady, so very sad. Sending prayers to family & friends ❤️

137. Miriam Sánchez says:

Wow! This is very sad! I have been there many times. What a terrible loss. My condolences to her family.

138. Oh my Lord, prayers for them. What a horrible story.

• Ted Ebert Ted Ebert says:

I can’t believe this. She was such a sweet woman that always made going to her restaurant such a pleasure. She deserves justice!!! Eye for an eye

139. This is just too close to home! So sad! Prayers going out to family and friends!

140. So sad 😭 I’ve noticed this is the only publication claiming he was booked for murder no other news media outlet is

141. Praying for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.

142. So sad to hear that you’re gone now. Our Condolences to the family of Mrs Maria , May God bless your beautiful soul & may you Rest In Peace. You are Wonderful woman , we love coming to their place 🌹 & you’ll be missed 🌹🌹🌹

143. So, sad, praying for the families

144. Elisa Aguilar Matt Moreno

145. Paqui Cuevas Paqui Cuevas says:

😓😓oh no!!👎🏻 it’s so sad 😭 I can’t believe my condolences to the family….what’s wrong.?? Why??the Bible says in the last days children rebel against parents.. I’m so sorry 😐 is very sad GOD bless everyone 🙏🙏

146. Very sad :( Rest in peace. Prayers for the family.

147. Clara De Leon Crispi Charlie

148. To close to home. So sad

149. OMG! That’s mine n my son’s fav Mexican place. We were just there last Friday. My condolences to the family and what a tragedy : (

150. Lorena Avila Lorena Avila says:

José no lo puedo creer 😱OMG ! Que Dios bendiga a ti a tu familia 😰

151. Carlynn Kundert Weller Randy WellerShea Roldan this is where we went for Colton’s bday. So sad

152. Maria Evans Maria Evans says:

So sorry for your loss.
    Praying for the family.

153. Mary Finch says:

Back in 2002 I worked next door to Margaritas, many of my coworkers, including myself would go in this place. I came to know Maria and the lovely person she was. She would always greet me with her warm and friendly smile. I can’t wrap around my head around the fact she is gone and the tragic way her life ended!! I don’t know what could have caused this to happen and if it could have been prevented, however, she is gone and the loss has had a very sad and dark impact on me. If I feel this loss so deeply, I can’t begin to imagine what her family, friends and co-workers are going through! My heart goes out to those close to her and especially, to her immediate family!!

154. Marty Thompson says:

May god be with you i am saddened

Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat alert as high temperatures have been forecast for the Los Angeles Basin on Monday, October 23 through Tuesday, October 24.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
Caltrans added nearly 1,200 lane miles of pavement repair and 66 bridges to its growing list of projects to be delivered sooner than planned, thanks to the imminent influx of revenue from the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 (SB 1), the transportation funding and reform package passed in April.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Crime Prevention deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station along with Los Angeles County Probation Department officers conducted probation compliance searches Friday throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.

Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a sexual assault suspect was arrested Thursday night. Plus, some great weekend events. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 20, 2017
Forever Fit SCV, a Santa Clarita sports and personal fitness training company, will host a "Pumpkin Workout" at its Centre Pointe location on Saturday, October 28, starting at 9 a.m.
Oct. 25: Pumpkin Workout Benefits American Cancer Society
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.
Oct. 25: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
The LA County Public Defender has won the Silver Eagle Award for its Public Defender Jail Liaison Program during the 31st Annual Productivity and Quality Awards Ceremony on Oct. 18 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
LA County Public Defender Soars with Silver Eagle Award
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures has received three major gifts toward the creation of the museum in Los Angeles, bringing fundraising to more than $300M, nearly 80 percent of its $388M campaign goal.
Motion Picture Museum Nears $388M Campaign Goal
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
The city of Santa Clarita and SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc. invite the public to attend a special ceremony unveiling the new Fallen Warriors Monument at Veterans Historical Plaza in Newhall on Wednesday, November 8 starting at 10 a.m.
Nov. 8: City Unveils Fallen Warriors Monument in Newhall
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff Station's public safety report for Canyon Country (West), aka Zone 7, for October 2 through October 8, 2017
Crime Blotter: Robbery, Grand Theft in Canyon Country West
A suspect has been arrested in the investigation of an alleged sexual assault, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station officials.
Suspect Arrested in Alleged Sexual Assault
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teens in the United States and a concern the California Highway Patrol addresses with its "Start Smart" program.
CHP Helps New Drivers with ‘Start Smart’ Classes
The California High-Speed Rail Authority punted one of the most important decisions during its monthly meeting Thursday, stoking concerns the entity is not moving quickly enough on the $64 billion project.
California’s Bullet Train Board Delays Award of Key Contract
An extensive investigation by the county of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs in conjunction with the office of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has resulted in a lawsuit announced today by the Attorney General against retailer Curacao.
AG Sues Retailer Curacao for Allegedly Preying on Consumers
CHESTERFIELD, MO — NewGround, a St. Louis-based experiential design-build firm, recently teamed up with Logix Federal Credit Union to work on a large scale facility project, a new corporate headquarters building for the full-service credit union in the Burbank, California area.
Valencia Will Soon be Home to Logix Federal Credit Union Headquarters
The CSUN women's volleyball team (10-9, 4-3 Big West) opens the second half of the Big West season this week as the Matadors head up the coast this week for road tests at No. 23 Cal Poly (17-2, 7-0 Big West) and UC Santa Barbara (4-15, 3-4 Big West). CSUN, coming off a tough five-set loss to Hawai'i at home, is 3-4 in seven road matches this season but has won two of three Big West road contests.
Matadors Volleyball Testing Their Skills on the Road
No. 5 College of the Canyons defeated L.A. Mission College 3-0 on Wednesday to earn its eighth consecutive match and fifth straight sweep. Set scores were 25-15, 25-11, and 25-20.
Cougars Volleyball Earns Fifth Straight Sweep
CSUN Women's Soccer (7-4-5, 3-1-1 BWC) looks to move up in the Big West standings this week as it hosts UC Irvine on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Matadors Get Ready for Big West Matchups
Behind Julio Rubio's goal in the 11th minute CSUN defeated UC Riverside 1-0 in Big West Conference men's soccer action Wednesday night.
Matadors Lone Goal Enough to Hold Off UC Riverside
Northridge, CA – CSUN Athletics officially opened its new satellite athletic training facility on Thursday at an event featuring Athletic Director Dr. Brandon Martin, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Steven Grech, student-athletes, coaches, staff and campus partners.
Matadors Student-Athletes Welcome New Training Facility
Want unique gifts and a shopping experience unlike any other?
Nov. 18-19: City’s Annual Two-Day Fine Craft Show
City officials gathered Wednesday for the Grand Opening of "Three Oaks," the first 100 percent affordable family development in Santa Clarita.
Affordable Housing Comes to Santa Clarita
The Gibbon Conservation Center will celebrate Halloween for the first time on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 28: Gibbon Conservation Center Celebrates First Halloween
California State University, Northridge is partnering with the California State University Entertainment Alliance to host a morning of workshops designed to offer students and members of the public advice on building successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Oct. 23: CSUN Workshop; Succeeding in Entertainment Industry
Spotlight Arts Center, a local non-profit that provides free performing and visual arts classes to children in the Santa Clarita Valley, will hold its Fall Festival, Sunday, Oct. 22 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 22: Fall Festival Spotlight Arts Center
The College of the Canyons Athletics department is inviting all players, coaches and cheerleaders associated with a Santa Clarita Valley youth sports league or cheer organization to attend Saturday's Cougar football game free of charge.
Oct. 21: SCV Youth Teams Invited to Free COC Football Game
College of the Canyons freshmen Joanna Roecker and Cassandra Lee both turned in scores of 79 to lead the Cougars to a second place team finish at the Western State Conference (WSC) event hosted by Glendale College at Brookside Golf Course on Monday.
COC Falls Short at WSC Glendale
Beginning Monday, October 23, 2017, the city of Santa Clarita will increase the frequency of street sweeping throughout all areas of the City.
Oct. 23: City Begins Increased Street Sweeping Frequency
In a battle for Western State Conference, East Division supremacy, it was College of the Canyons that came out on top Tuesday night, as the Cougars scored two second half goals to secure a 2-0 win against visiting Antelope Valley College. Justine Hoeft and Jennifer Roney collected goals for the Cougars (11-2, 2-0).
COC Secures Win Against AVC With Two Second-Half Goals
The upcoming 10-year anniversary of the Buckweed Fires offers Santa Clarita residents a reminder of the ever-present fire danger in Los Angeles County, as blazes ravage the northern half of the state, as well.
Officials Reflect on 10-Year Anniversary of Buckweed Fires
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station, with help from a Smartphone GPS system, were able to locate a lost hiker Wednesday night at Towsley Canyon.
Smartphone GPS Locates Lost Towsley Canyon Hiker
Dreamation Craft Guild will be hosting a boutique at Canyon High School, Nov. 18, from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. to benefit the family of John Phippen, the Santa Clarita resident who was killed in the Las Vegas shooting.
Nov. 18: Holiday Marketplace Benefiting John Phippen Family
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – To ensure drivers, passengers, and children are properly restrained while traveling California’s roadways, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) has partnered with the California Office of Traffic Safety on a new traffic safety campaign entitled, “California Restraint Safety Education And Training” (CARSEAT).
CHP’s New Traffic Safety Campaign Focuses on Saving Lives, Reducing Injuries
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Speed and aggressive driving, the main causes of traffic collisions in California, will be the focus of a year-long education and enforcement campaign by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that started Oct. 1, 2017.
CHP Grant Aims to Reduce Fatalities, Traffic Injuries; Addresses Street Racing