HHW or Household Hazardous Waste often contains chemicals that can be harmful, both to the environment and people and the best way to avoid these chemicals is to purchase non-toxic products for cleaning, pest control and weed removal.
However, if you do have leftover HHW items at your home, and want to dispose of them properly, get read because a Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Round-up is coming soon.
The next Round-up is on Saturday, April 22 from 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at College of the Canyons on Rockwell Canyon Road.
How to prepare for an HHW collection event:
• Pack HHW in cardboard boxes so that it does not spill during transport. Be prepared to leave your containers and boxes.
• Put like chemicals together. Separate different types of chemicals.
• Label materials that are not in their original containers.
• Make sure containers are not leaking and lids are tightly sealed.
• Put your boxes in your car trunk, away from passengers during transport. Remove all other items from the trunk.
• At the event, trained personnel will ask you to remain in your car while they remove the HHW from your trunk.
What will NOT be accepted:
• HHW and E-waste from businesses
• Explosives, ammunition and radioactive materials
• Trash and tires
• Controlled substances
• White goods (refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, etc.)
Get your old paint, cleaning products, automotive fluids, HHW and E-waste ready for the drop-off event on April 22. In addition, you can also bring your used cooking oil for recycling. (Please note: Residential waste only. No commercial food service or restaurant oil will be accepted.)
Visit GreenSantaClarita.com for more information.