Sunny
Sunny

September 25
1970 - Lagasse family helps save Mentryville buildings as Newhall and Malibu brush fires erupt & join into worst fire in SoCal history. Twelve fires over 10 days burn 525,000 acres, kill 13 people and destroy approx. 1,500 structures. [story]

Toll Brothers, American’s Luxury Home Builder, announces the sales center opening of Toll Brothers at Plum Canyon in Santa Clarita this Saturday, April 22. Buyers can take advantage of pre-model sales pricing from the $600,000s. Toll Brothers at Plum Canyon is an exclusive, new luxury home community located in the foothills of the Sierra Pelona Mountains featuring two home collections, the Mirabelle and Avalon.

Mirabelle features three home designs ranging from an estimated 2,700 to 3,000 sq. ft. with four to five bedrooms, up to four bathrooms, and integrated indoor-outdoor living spaces on large home sites, presenting more room for entertainment and relaxation with family and friends. The Avalon collection offers three larger home designs ranging from an estimated 3,100 to 3,500 sq. ft. with five to six bedrooms, up to five bathrooms and three-car garages on sizeable home sites.

Representing Toll Brothers’ recognizable designs and quality craftsmanship, the Mirabelle and Avalon Collections each offers contemporary floor plans with a select number featuring mountain vistas. Community amenities include a pool, spa and wading pool, plus a future eight-acre park. The park includes a multipurpose field, tot lot, ball courts, and hiking and biking trails. Residents of Toll Brothers at Plum Canyon will additionally benefit from low property taxes, no Mello-Roos and low HOA fees.

Toll Brothers at Plum Canyon is located in the award-winning Saugus Union School District and William S. Hart Union High School District. Homeowners are conveniently near dining, shopping and entertainment centers with quick access to I-5 and CA-14. The Plum Canyon Sales Center is located at 19120 Lauren Lane in Santa Clarita, and is open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. For Plum Canyon sales information and directions, call 661-249-4085 or visit plumcanyonliving.com.

1. Mike Kent Mike Kent says:

Too many houses! Was too many even back in 2004.

2. Yes… because we need MORE people… 😠

3. Linda Durst Linda Durst says:

there was a rumor that land was cursed because of some kind of indian grounds that were there, or something like that?

4. Yay! More houses, people and traffic. Said no one ever.

5. El Rey El Rey says:

Good ol SCV making money literally the only way they can. Real estate.

6. That’s great thanks for more traffic, idiots

7. Where is the water coming from to support all these people?!
    More traffic, more signals, more crime! Ugh!😡

8. At least they are still planning to make the park but like we really need more housing developments?

9. Kevin White Kevin White says:

For years I’ve heard AND read the stories about the battle back there. Look up Signal archives.

10. Do we truly need more luxury developments when there are so many people who have no home at all? When we are so casual about “needing” ever more?

11. Just what we need more people, NOT!

12. Kurt Buck Kurt Buck says:

Just what SCV needs! More people dying of old age, starvation, dehydration, and inhalation of diesel exhaust at traffic signals!!!

13. It’s a beautiful town and I guess that we have to share. Yes, too much traffic and too many signs. Take a deep breath people and slow down and enjoy life…..

14. No HOA! No Mello-Roos! Oh, lots of rattlers up there too! xo

15. Brian Durand Brian Durand says:

$600,000’s hahhahahhaahah

16. I’d probably have the same feelings if I lived there. But I am one who wants to move to this area and make a better life for myself. Probably just as all of you above wanted to move to SCV a while ago to make a better life for yourselves. So, the lineage continues. People want a better life… that’s not a crime. Can’t have it here in the SFV. If I could, I would. I know you all like the way things are or have been, but consider there are some really good people who want to be your neighbor. Some of these people are policemen, therapists, teachers, counselors, grocers, friends, and family. Good people who will make your city better. Hope that’s food for thought for you all. If I can make this happen, I will be your neighbor sometime next year and pick up trash, call in graffiti when I see it, report crime, decorate my home for the holidays, and attend neighborhood meetings. Positive things, just like you all brought in when you or your family moved to Santa Clarita.

• Buy existing homes that are up for sale. There are plenty available.

• Yea but the crime has moved here. Moved here 23 years ago to escape SFV. Now it’s like the valley. Just a warning.

• Trust me. SCV has it made compared to the SFV as far as crime goes. It’s horrible here, with things happening every night. That’s why I need to get away. My parents live in Valencia and it’s a haven compared to Northridge.

• Read the local news. Scary stuff.

• I live in Burbank now and it’s more like the SCV I remember in the 80’s than the SCV of today.

• Jason, you should look around moms neighborhood for something established and updated. Potentially lesser property, county & city taxes and NO HOA, NO Mello-Roos too!

• David Graham David Graham says:

That’s a over exaggeration Kathy. Santa Clarita is still totally safe

• Tony Follett Tony Follett says:

All the reasons for why I came here and stayed disappeared a long time ago. This build it is adding insult to injury

• Luis Aguilar Luis Aguilar says:

Scv is overcrowded and the crime is getting worse. You can tell by how often things happen. Make a better life, but like they said, there are plenty of homes available. Unless you live in little TJ, u can find nice parts of northridge! Im born and raised in Pacoima so I know a thing or two about bad hoods!

• No not safe. Not anymore. Shootings, purse snatching, nope I won’t go out shopping at night anymore.

• You will be happy here. You are one among hundreds of thousands who are retreating from the Valley. The Valley is now inhabiting the SCV. With those who are moving from “the Valley”, the crime follows. You will be fine. You will be safe (if you keep your eyes open).
      You will find relief… for a little while.
      It isn’t a Utopia or Nirvana. It isn’t Awesometown.
      It is just like every other crime infested town in Greater Los Angeles. I honestly wish you well.

• Wil Navarro Wil Navarro says:

Agree David Graham. Lol. There’s things that happen even 5, 10, 20 yrs ago. Social media and Internet just throws it in our face without searching for it.

Don’t look at the crime map that’s available online. Kathy Bullock. You’ll even be more paranoid than you already are.

• Evan Lamas Evan Lamas says:

Jason, This is not about wanting or not wanting new neighbors. It is about the ability of the city to support the extra population. Currently in SCV, we don’t have enough utilities like water, or enough law enforcement available. The roads are so congested during rush hour that it is unsafe, the travel time unreasonable. our schools are overcrowded. We would love more growth, but the city planners and the developers need to consider that they need to provide more than just homes to support the extra population, or this city will become unlivable.

• We moved there in 1969, before freeways! Used to be a great place to live, but the crime rate is climbing. I don’t feel safe going out at night anymore.

• I understand the complaint about overcrowdedness. But those who want to move and live in SCV are usually the good people trying to escape the bad from other cities. Its tough … where are these people supposed to go without paying an arm and a leg? The only nice parts of Northridge cost nearly a million dollars for the same thing going in at Plum. Its not an option. Its a hard situation for all and I do sympathize with your side of concern. I agree SCV needs to upgrade and expand the infrastructure if new homes are built.

• Yes Steve Dardarian, Im considering your moms area too…

• Jon Capi Jon Capi says:

Buy one of the thousands of luxury hones already vacant in the city. Why do hundreds more need to be built.

17. Just what we need. More traffic.

18. Chris Taylor Chris Taylor says:

The reason i left….all wrong. The city planners killed this city

19. And the traffic here is terrible. Very few main streets. It’s a mess.

20. Jackie Hicks Jackie Hicks says:

AnthonyandApril Vernon

21. Maria Torres Maria Torres says:

@ Joey Torres check this out!

22. Sally Mehr Sally Mehr says:

More traffic and no more roads, getting out of control…

23. Ugh!!!!!!! Is right Nancy Patrick

24. Rocky Arthur Rocky Arthur says:

My street is already a goddamn freeway from the last development up there !!

25. Dina Magdy Dina Magdy says:

Lina Kamel check this out

26. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

SCV doesn’t need any more pretentious residents. Keep the open spaces open!

27. … just my personal experience. Moved to SCV from L.A. In 1984. The changes were rapid and not all great. In 1994 I personally witnessed a murderer leaving the scene of the crime (and had to identify and testify against him). That was down the street from my North Valencia home (where home values were at a premium). A year or so later, down the street… a woman in a fit of vengeance killed all but one of her children using natural gas before she lit her house on fire. Home values were on the rise. We had gangs and home invasions and prostitution and major drug deaths, sales… I would say that by the time I left, forever, the SCV wasn’t too far behind the Valley. Name a crime and you can find it here too. The cost of living is high and the property values are deceptively high. Murder is murder and it happens in the SCV too (and gang violence and drug crimes and deaths).

28. Karen Harris Karen Harris says:

STOP building houses.😡

29. But still no King Taco… but still no AMC 20 Theater …

30. Why?!! 😡 This is the last thing we need!!

31. Bart Joseph Bart Joseph says:

This dilutes the market for existing homeowners. Stop approving these developments please

32. Its so sad that they are building so houses the beauty of our place and forgot about nature. Is it going to be Santa Clarita Valley or Santa Clarita City???

33. We don’t need more people here

34. No joke. This city is busting at the seams

35. There goes the water😥😥😥

36. So sad SCV is like the friggin valley now !!! Glad I moved 😡

37. Oh that’s fantastic. I love sitting red lights for 2 1/2 hours.

38. Kim Lamas Kim Lamas says:

STOP!!!!! We only have one main artery out of this city. How many more people do you want to plug it up with. The city is gonna have a damn heart attack. When we moved out here, you couldn’t hear traffic after 7 maybe 8pm, you could see a million stars now I hear police helicopters and it takes me at least an hour to get home.

39. That’s what Santa Clarita needs….more houses

40. Nada Quinn Nada Quinn says:

And the new freeway goes in when?

41. I grew up there, i hate how the population boomed. It was way better when everything was just corn fields and shallot fields.

42. NO
    NEW
    NEIGHBORHOODS!!!!
    😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

43. STOP
    DESTROYING OUR OPEN SPACE AND GORGEOUS HILLSIDES!

44. Just what we need! More houses,traffic is awful & this just makes it worse!They’ve ruined our valley all for money!

45. Ron Tavalaro Ron Tavalaro says:

Time to move to Palmdale plenty a room now

46. I am so angry. When will they stop building? There’s too much traffic, not enough water, and the list goes on. I’ve been here since 1966…. please – just stop building.

47. That’s why I moved to Acton from Valencia… so peaceful…

48. STOP BUILDING ALREADY!!

49. Sean McGee Sean McGee says:

So they alarmed us that California was in a major drought and for usto cut our water usage yet they kept building and building and building and building…………Condos on top condos and 10 floor apartments. Not to mention a 2 billion dollar stadium when we have the oldest water mains in the world which are breaking apart…..I dont get it!

50. Sean McGee Sean McGee says:

It’s like a plague!

51. Patty Ann Patty Ann says:

They can’t build in the SFV, no room. I’m sure these homes will be built on small lots with houses so close you can hand your neighbor toilet paper if they were stranded on the bowl from your own bathroom.

52. Kevin Kirk Kevin Kirk says:

Valerie Vallejos buying one??

53. Too much traffic already!!! Stop building!

54. Eric Guest Eric Guest says:

Just what santa clarita needs, more damn people. Smh

55. God, that is an ugly picture.

56. Say hello to more traffic, congestion and destruction of our good cities and good-bye to living in a safe, clean community. It’s time for people to stop moving to our area.

57. More million dollar homes…perfect! I’m sure the HOA and Mella Roos won’t be cheap either. Would be nice if they built more homes for the middle class instead of more luxury homes.

58. Chet Collom Chet Collom says:

a real estate person says…more houses ..more sales..yeh!!!..S

59. More building !stop already!we are supposed to conserve water,power,for what?

60. STOP THE MADNESSSSSSS~!!!!

61. richard says:

Lets face it the good old days are over with.

62. SCVPunk says:

Nothing new here. This has been on the books since the mid-80s.

63. Good thing all of us conserved water during the water shortage, just think how bad it is going to be next time! And there will be a next time.

64. TRAVIS says:

I agree with everyone’s comments and I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t want this town bigger than it already is.But where were all of you for the town/city hall meetings? I know I was the only one that had the balls enough to speak out. I brought up how our streets & Freeways are over crowded. Crime, murder, rape are on a rise. Our city streets are like race tracks. Many people have been killed our crosswalks. I also brought up how our town used to be quiet after the sun went down and now all we hear are sirens. I was asked to leave the meeting, I guess they couldn’t handle the truth about what they’ve turned this town into. But in encourage everyone to speak out , not just on here but at city meetings. It was easy for them to kick me out due to I was the only one but a much larger group would be a little bit harder.

• SCVNews.com says:

Excellent point. The vast majority of community members who spoke at the public meetings (Planning Commission, City Council hearings) favored the development project because of the new Senior Center and YMCA that it will provide. Opponents obviously can’t be heard if they’re not there to voice their opinions.

• TRAVIS says:

Thank you for posting my comment. I literally copy and pasted the same paragraph from when I wrote it on The Signals page and I got an email back stating I’ve been banned from their site LOL must be the same people that asked me to leave the City hall meeting.

LOCAL BUSINESS LINKS

Waste Connections, Inc.69.91  chart +0.07%
Whole Foods Market, Inc.41.99  chart +0.00%
Waste Management, Inc.78.36  chart +0.20%
Wal-mart Stores, Inc.79.63  chart +0.13%
Woodward, Inc.76.14  chart +0.25%
CURRENCY CONVERTER

It has been a year since Energy Transfer Partners bulldozed the sacred burial grounds just beyond the borders of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation to clear a path for the Dakota Access Pipeline – and about 10 months since I hightailed it over there. I want my friends to know what I know, and I want to be able to look back and remember some details before time wipes them away.
Standing Rock: Why I Went | Commentary by Leon Worden
1855 - Sanford & Cyrus Lyon establish Lyon's Station (for stagecoaches) near today's Sierra Hwy & Newhall Ave [story]
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
The governing boards of College of the Canyons and the William S. Hart Union School District are scheduled to discuss plans for a new Academy of the Canyons-style campus at the future Castaic High School when they sit down for their annual joint meeting Sept. 27.
COC, Hart Planning ‘North Academy’ at Castaic High School
The League of California Cities, with representatives from cities statewide including Santa Clarita, is calling for Gov. Jerry Brown to veto SB 649, which if enacted would allow the wireless industry to install new 5G equipment with little input from local jurisdictions.
League of California Cities Urges Governor to Veto 5G Wireless Equipment Bill
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, an off-duty LAPD officer and Canyon Country resident, died Thursday evening after a collision in Porter Ranch. Plus, check out all the exciting events happening this weekend. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, September 22, 2017
The new pedestrian bridge crossing McBean Parkway is expected to be open in time for weekend foot traffic.
New Pedestrian Bridge on McBean Parkway Set to Reopen Saturday
The Child and Family Center will begin providing outpatient substance use treatment services for adolescents and young adults with primary substance use disorders under the California Drug MediCal Program starting Tuesday, October 3.
Oct. 3: Child and Family Center Begins Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment
College of the Canyons and the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center will host a caregivers' workshop at the Senior Center in Newhall on Saturday, September 30 from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Sept. 30: COC, Senior Center Host Caregiver Workshop
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is strongly opposing the proposed Graham-Cassidy healthcare legislation, saying it would undermine the well-being of the county’s most vulnerable populations and burden taxpayers with heavier costs for years to come.
Supes Say Graham-Cassidy Bill Threatens Health of Millions of LA County Residents
The intersection of Soledad Canyon Road and Bouquet Canyon Road will be under construction from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Friday night, September 29 and Saturday morning, September 30.
Sept. 29-30: Soledad and Bouquet Canyon Repaving
College of the Canyons launched its First-Year Promise program this fall, and to ensure the future of the FYP program, which offers full-time freshman students waived tuition and fees during their first year of study, the COC Foundation has committed to fundraising $500,000 over the next two years.
COC Foundation Launches ‘First-Year Promise’ Fundraising Campaign
Road rehab on major arterial roads and intersections in the city of Santa Clarita continues into October.
Santa Clarita Road Rehab Drives into October
More than 60 Air Force senior leaders convened on Friday to discuss the Air Force’s aircrew crisis, which has left the service more than 1,500 pilots short of its requirements.
Short by 1,500 Pilots, Air Force Leaders Address Aircrew Crisis
The Santa Clarita Valley has five major industry clusters and the SCV Economic Development Corporation targets its economic development efforts to support and expand them.
Five Growing Industry Clusters in the Santa Clarita Valley
In the aftermath of Hurricanes Irma and Maria, the Veterans Affairs Department VA announced Friday that it continues to provide vital health care and other support to displaced Veterans in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
VA Aids Veterans in Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands After Hurricanes Irma and Maria
Gatorade made misleading “anti-water statements” while pushing the benefits of its sports drinks in a video game marketed to teenagers, according to a settlement announced Thursday by California’s attorney general.
California Fines Gatorade $300K for ‘Anti-Water’ Ad Campaign
John Gasparyan, an off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer and Canyon Country resident, died when his motorcycle crashed in Porter Ranch around 6:50 p.m. Thursday.
LAPD Officer from Canyon Country Dead in Motorcycle Crash
A former Los Angeles County probation officer was sentenced after pleading guilty to inappropriately touching two girls at a youth camp, the county District Attorney’s Office has announced.
Ex-Probation Officer Gets 364 Days for Sexual Assault
1969 - College of the Canyons opens with first class of students in temporary quarters at Hart High School [story]
The most prestigious recognition for government assessment agencies has been awarded to the Office of the Assessor in Los Angeles County.
County Awarded Prestigious Government Assessment Award
The Dodgers, who have clinched a postseason berth for the fifth consecutive year, return home tomorrow to open their final homestand of the regular season against the San Francisco Giants (Sept. 22-24) and San Diego Padres (Sept. 25-27).
Dodgers Back Home Friday; Last Homestand of 2017 Season
Auditions for the the upcoming Canyon Theater Guild's production of A Christmas Story are just around the corner.
Sept. 30-Oct. 1: Christmas Story Auditions at CTG
Now that the formerly great state of California is a sanctuary, I’ve got to compare that action with the actions in the early 1860s of the Confederate States of America. They decided what laws they wanted to follow and what ones they didn’t.
No Home for Me | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
Santa Clarita Valley residents have known the family-owned Italian restaurant, Sisley Kitchen, since 1993 when their doors first opened at the top of Valencia Town Center Drive in Westfield Valencia.
Renovations Complete at Sisley Kitchen
The Women's Soccer team will be finishing up their non-conference matches this weekend.
Sept. 22-24: CSUN Athletics Roundup
David Wolfram will demonstrate pastel-over-watercolor painting at the Santa Clarita Artists Association (SCAA) meeting on Monday evening, Nov. 20 at 6:30 pm. This event is free, open to the public and meets at Barnes & Noble, 23630 Valencia Blvd.
Nov. 20: Pastel-Over-Watercolor Demonstration at SCAA Meeting
Beginning October 1, all 23 California State University (CSU) campuses will accept applications for admission to the fall 2018 term.
Oct. 1: CSU Accepting Fall 2018 Applications
College of the Canyons launched its First-Year Promise (FYP) program this fall, and to ensure the future of the FYP program, which offers full-time freshman students waived tuition and fees during their first year of study, the COC Foundation has committed to fundraising $500,000 over the next two years
COC First-Year Promise Fundraising Campaign Underway
The city of Santa Clarita is inviting our younger residents to take part in the 30th anniversary celebration.
City Launches ’30 Things for 30 Years’ Contest; Students Invited to Take Part
California State University, Northridge’s Friends of the Oviatt Library welcomes members of the community to nominate their favorite stories about the San Fernando Valley for consideration of the San Fernando Valley Award for Non-Fiction.
CSUN Library Group Invites Community to Nominate Favorite San Fernando Valley Story
The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced sellouts for all seven potential postseason home games in the Division Series and League Championship Series just hours after tickets went on sale to the public at 10:00 a.m. It’s believed to be the quickest that the club has sold out of postseason tickets in Dodger Stadium history.
Dodgers NLDS, NLCS Tickets Already Sold Out
Sales of existing single-family homes increased 7.4 percent throughout Santa Clarita during August while the median price of homes that changed owners rose 6.6 percent, the Southland Regional Association of REALTORS® reported today.
Increase in SCV August Home Sales, Prices
Mountainview Elementary School parents were greeted with a voicemail Thursday morning informing them of a break-in on campus believed to have occurred the night before.
Vandals Trash Library, Computers, Classrooms at Mountainview