Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

December 16
1902 - Hi Jolly (Hadji Ali), Gen. E.F. Beale's Syrian camel driver, dies at Quartzsite, Ariz. [story]

Longtime Santa Clarita resident Steve Hanauer – the “Steve” in Steve’s Valencia Florist – died Wednesday night from complications stemming from a fall he sustained the previous day.

Not just a florist, Hanauer was also a fixture in the Santa Clarita community, known for his generous support of local charities including the SCV Senior Center and the SCV Boys and Girls Club.

“He was very proud of this valley,” said his widow, Jan Hanauer. “He loved the people. He was very prominent with the ‘old-school Santa Clarita’ community and was always willing to help.”

The local entrepreneur owned and operated Steve’s Florist since 1974 – which makes it the oldest full-service flower shop in Santa Clarita. Prior to the Santa Clarita location, Hanauer owned flower shops in San Fernando and Brentwood.

The business expanded at one point to three locations in the Santa Clarita Valley, but Jan Hanauer said they later decided to dwindle it down to one – the original and current location on Lyons Avenue in Newhall. “One was easier to maintain,” she said.

Patti Rasmussen, a Santa Clarita arts commissioner, said Hanauer was the florist who serviced her wedding 40 years ago. Rasmussen remembers a kind man who would annually remind her husband to send her flowers when their anniversary was drawing near.

“He liked to tease my husband Charlie every year when he forgot our anniversary,” she said.

Rasmussen also remembers the flowers and card Hanauer sent her when her fourth son, Steven, was born: “Finally, you named one after me.”

“I think that’s what I’ll miss most about him,” Rasmussen said, “He had a wicked sense of humor.”

Jan Hanauer credits the longevity of the business to her husband’s hard work.

“Steve took pride in this,” she said. “Being in this business is a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. But he knew the kind of joy it brought to people. It’s a very rewarding job, and he loved it.”

Services for Hanauer are being planned. He was 76.

1. He was such a nice man. Prayers to his family 😢

2. Paula Morey-McElhinney Michelle James Debra L Noe

3. Sharon Duggins Fowler Alexis Soto

4. So sad. I’ve known Steve my entire life. When I was a little girl, my Mom and I would walk to the florist every week and get a single carnation. Years and years every week.

5. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sorry for you loss🙏🏻

6. Debra L Noe Debra L Noe says:

Oh my gosh is this the gentleman that Gerry knew so well At The Florist?

7. So sorry for your loss , Steve used to bring in special arrangements for the Kaiser lab staff and he made arrangements for us during the holidays that were gorgeous 💜. He was a very special man😢 very sorry for your loss 😢

8. A very nice man. Always helpful and ran a good business. Condolences to the family 😔🙏🏼

9. Bridget kaus ( Heuer) says:

Such sad news, Steve is such an important part of our family as my father and him were business owner side-by-side for so many years on Lyons Ave. prayers to Jan and the rest of the family

10. So sorry to hear this. They are the best florist in SCV. Sending prayers to his family.

11. Janie Garcia Janie Garcia says:

My condolences to the family. Very wonderful man.

12. Sorry for your loss. Prayers. Steve let my granddaughter come in and shadow when she was taking the ROP florist class. He was very kind and helpful. Can’t believe it.

13. Great Guy RIP Steve 🙏❤️😢

14. Such a kind gentleman, I hope there are beautiful flowers in heaven all around you. Prayers to the family.

15. So sad…he was such a kind man.

16. Sandy Worth Sandy Worth says:

I loved walking into his flower shop. Very generous with local charities. Steve will be missed for certain by many in the SCV.

17. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a true gentleman and always enjoyed a chat.

18. Jean kanawyer says:

I was so sad when I heard tonight that Steve passed away. He truly was the nicest man ever.. he always remembered me with flowers for several holidays from him and Jan. Said it was for the great service he received from me at Kaiser lab.Steve and Jan felt like family to me after all these years. My prayers go out to both of them and I thank God I was given the honor to know him and his wife. He will be missed.

19. Prayers and Condolences to Steve’s family.. Wonderful floral designer.. He did he flowers for my wedding in 1987.. Beautiful!

20. Glen Rollins says:

Steve was always a kind gentleman. I first met him in 1975. Helped him purchase a new Chevy Van.
    I bought bright red roses every year for my my wife Loretta. One for each year.
    He was so involved @ giving to the community. I’ve loved him always. Prayers to all the family. RIP Steve

21. Jeannine Sharar Walker says:

Such heart breaking news. My condolences and prayers to the family. He was a great man and will be deeply missed.

22. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

23. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

24. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

25. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

26. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

27. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

28. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

29. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

30. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

31. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

32. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

33. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

34. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

35. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

36. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

37. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

38. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

I’m so sorry n mother Roberta Veloz for your loss 😢we are thinking about you jean n your family RIP we love you guys be strong❤️🙏🏻

39. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

40. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

41. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

42. I got quite a few flowers from Steve’s! Great company! Sorry to hear he passed.

43. Robbie bailey says:

He donates pink flowers to the outpatient surgical unit after the pacient had their ports taken out as a way to give recognition for their fight against breast cancer.

44. Very sad news. He will be sincerely missed.

45. Received a floral arrangement when my son was born (13 years ago!) and have always fondly recalled such a beautiful bouquet. Nice gentleman. A big loss in our community.

46. I’m shocked with this news. I’ve known Steve a long time. And Steve’s Florist is iconic in our town. He’s going to be missed so much. Prayers to the family. I’m very sad.

47. Steve would take phone calls even after they closed in the night to send flowers all around the country for our family. So very sorry he passed.

48. A very Special fellow!!

49. Diana Sevanian says:

Such sad news. Steve Hanauer was one the sweetest, most humble and altruistic gentlemen you could ever meet. He was a large part of what made the American Cancer Society SCV Unit’s annual Daffodil Days campaign a success. He literally turned his flower shop over to the ACS volunteers each year to bring spring’s floral cheer to oncology patients as we raised vital ACS funds (by selling the daffodils throughout the community). Those of us st ACS could never thank this man enough for his generosity and kindness. What a huge heart and good soul he possessed. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

50. My sincere condolences to the family. Prayers.

51. Valerie Balsz Shelton made me think if all the flowers Lynn sent you!!!

• Valerie Shelton says:

When my husband and I were dating, he would order a flower arrangement for my work station every week. Steves florist did the most beautiful arrangements. They also did our flowers for our wedding in 1995. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. Our sincere condolences.

52. He was so kind to my parents and me when we bought flowers for my brother’s funeral. SCV lost a true community hero. RIP Steve. You will be missed.

53. Mary L Parks Mary L Parks says:

Steve was a great guy, he did the flowers for our wedding and my daughter
    learned to be a floral designer while working at Steve’s. We had another daughter who worked at Steve’s for a while and then my husband delivered flowers for Steve’s. He has touched our family in a great way. We send our love and prayers to his sweet wife and family.

54. Many beautiful flowers from such a great guy! Prayer for the family.

55. Helene White says:

Steve was a wonderful man. My husband, Micah and I, owned a print shop and did Steve’s printing. It was always a pleasure to deliver his work. He always had a smile on his face. Our hearts go out to his family.

56. So sad to hear this 😢. I loved going in to get my greenery from Steve. He was always so sweet and would give my daughter a flower each time she would go with me 💕 Hugs and Prayers to the family

57. Kevin Frandson says:

Steve was a wonderful active member in our town. He contributed much and will be missed.

58. Oh no, so sad to hear. He was such a kind man. Will be praying for his family.

59. God Bless Steve❤️family gardenia lady

60. Marta Cesta Marta Cesta says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a kind person.

61. Mary Lou Kelly says:

I first met Steve and Bonnie in about 1974 when we all moved into the new American Beauty homes off Bouquet Canyon. We were all part of such a great neighborhood. Steve asked me to work for them at Maclay Florist as a “bookkeeper”. Lots of fun. He will be missed.

62. Sarah Stokes Sarah Stokes says:

Beth Stokes 😥😥

63. lois eisenberg says:

All the tributes were so forthcoming **
    I Ditto everyone of them**

64. Mama Bear says:

So sorry to hear this. We knew Steve when he and my husband were in the local Jaycees in the l970s. We have kept in touch since then; but probably not enough ;-( He was always generous with Zonta when we needed flowers for a special event. He will be sadly missed.

65. My heart is broken for his wife and kids. Our kids went to Valencia high together. I recently lost my husband. I feel your pain. 😓

66. So sad. Prayers to his family🙏

67. Ed Masterson says:

What a loss… Steve was so great with my daughter this past prom season helping her and her friends pick out boutonnieres for their dates…and same with my son in previous years…Steve was a great gentleman… Special thoughts and thank yous to his family for sharing Steve him with all of us for so many wonderful years… He will be thought of often, and always with great affection… The angels have a new florist to point them in the right direction…

68. Gail Legere Gail Legere says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a nice guy. We purchased flowers from him for many years. My condolences goes out to his family.

69. Jason White Jason White says:

I was just here a week ago. God bless you Steve. You were super awesome and most helpful.

70. Janet Allen Janet Allen says:

Sorry to hear… good man

71. Anna Riggs says:

So sorry! We got flowers for our 50th anniversary, wonderful job, wonderful man! God bless the family.

72. Josh Harvey Josh Harvey says:

He will be missed! I was just in there a few weeks ago

73. mike talbot says:

Steve, was a very kind man. He helped us send flowers during happy and sad occasions. There’s such an emptiness knowing that he’s gone from our community.

Friday, Dec 14, 2018
Court Denies Feds’ Attempt to Block California AG’s Census 2020 Lawsuit
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Friday denied the Trump Administration’s attempt to block California's lawsuit challenging the citizenship question on the 2020 Census.
Friday, Dec 14, 2018
Man on Bike Arrested on Drug, Bogus Cash Charges in Stevenson Ranch
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man on The Old Road for three outstanding warrants plus new drug, counterfeit money and suspected stolen property charges on Thursday night.
Friday, Dec 14, 2018
‘Wake Up, the Planet Is Burning Up,’ Brown Tells Polluting Nations
Outgoing California Gov. Jerry Brown had some harsh words for world leaders at the United Nations Climate Conference in Poland, which wrapped up Friday.

1987 - Incorporation: Santa Clarita officially becomes a city [story]
Court Denies Feds’ Attempt to Block California AG’s Census 2020 Lawsuit
Award-winning musician, philanthropist and CalArts School of Music namesake Herb Alpert and his wife, famed vocalist Lani Hall, will perform a holiday concert at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Downtown Los Angeles on Thursday night, Dec. 20.
Dec. 20: Herb Alpert, Lani Hall Holiday Special at Disney Concert Hall
The 20th annual Animation 'Show of Shows' mini-festival has opened at theaters in Los Angeles and New York this week, and three of the films selected are directed by CalArtians.
CalArts Animators Featured at 20th Annual ‘Show of Shows’
Following finals week, CSUN Men's Basketball returns to action Sunday afternoon, hosting Pacific on The Blacktop at The Matadome with tip-off slated for 3 p.m.
Dec. 16: CSUN Men’s Hoopsters to Host Pacific
After taking their Fall semester finals this week, the CSUN women's basketball team travels 30 miles down the I-5 to the Galen Center where the Matadors will face USC Sunday afternoon.
Dec. 16: CSUN Woman’s Basketball Team Takes on USC
Man on Bike Arrested on Drug, Bogus Cash Charges in Stevenson Ranch
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold its next teleconference meeting on Thursday, Dec. 20, at 10:30 a.m.
Dec. 20: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Friday that nine scientific and technical achievements represented by 27 individual award recipients will be honored at its annual Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills on Saturday, Feb. 9.
Feb. 9: AMPAS to Honor Scientific, Technical Achievements
Santa Clarita business law firm Poole & Shaffery, LLP and the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce will host the 2019 Employment Law Update luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Thursday, Jan. 10 from 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Jan. 10: 2019 Employment Law Update Luncheon
‘Wake Up, the Planet Is Burning Up,’ Brown Tells Polluting Nations
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce will host its next Business After Hours mixer at Oakmont of Santa Clarita on Wednesday, Dec. 19 starting at 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 19: Chamber Business After Hours Mixer at Oakmont
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Dec. 18, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 18: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
College of the Canyons sophomore Anthony Simone scored 24 points and pulled down 11 rebounds as the Cougars jumped out to an early lead to defeat host L.A. Harbor College 73-69 on Wednesday night.
Canyons Sinks L.A. Harbor 73-69
This year's NAIA All-American roll call was a testament to perseverance.
TMU’s Pair of All-Americans: A Tale of Perseverance
A divided Ninth Circuit on Thursday partly lifted a nationwide injunction barring enforcement of the Trump administration’s interim rules letting employers opt out of covering birth control on religious and moral grounds, limiting the injunction to California and four other states.
Court Limits Injunction on Contraception Rules to California, 4 More States
Resource deputies conducted a special operation at an unnamed Santa Clarita Valley school that netted three adults who were arrested on drug charges on Wednesday.
3 Adults Arrested on Drug Charges Near Local School
The California Air Resources Board on Friday approved a first-of-its-kind regulation in the United States that sets a statewide goal for public transit agencies to gradually transition to 100 percent zero-emission bus fleets by 2040.
California Aims for All-Electric Public Bus Fleet by 2040
1931 - Season's first major storm deposits 9 inches of snow in Newhall, 10 in Saugus [story]
Have you ever found yourself wanting to take a bike ride along the countless miles of paved trails in Santa Clarita, but don’t have a bike? Well, now you can.
City Launches ‘Pace’ Bike Share Program
The Santa Clarita Community College District Board of Trustees, which oversees College of the Canyons, swore in recently elected board members, named its new officers, and set its 2019 meeting schedule at the board’s business and organizational meeting held on Wednesday.
New COC Board Members Sworn In, 2019 Officers Named
iLEAD Agua Dulce, a free public charter school serving grades TK through 6, has been selected to receive a $475,000 grant to bolster its acclaimed project-based and social-emotional learning programs, the school announced Thursday.
Agua Dulce Charter School Selected for $475K Grant
The Saugus Union School District said goodbye to two long serving Governing Board members at the District’s final meeting of 2018. Judy Egan Umeck, who served for 22 years, and Paul De La Cerda, who served for 13 years, left the Board following ceremonies at the Dec. 11, 2018 special meeting.
Longtime SUSD Governing Board Members Bid Farewell
The Saugus Union School District Governing Board conducted swearing-in ceremonies on Tuesday for trustees elected this past November.
SUSD Appoints New President, Clerk; New Members Sworn In
A suspect was taken into custody after reportedly stealing his father's vehicle Thursday morning, according to officials at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station.
Suspect in Custody After Reportedly Stealing Father’s Car
Three members of the William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board re-elected last month were sworn in for their next four-year terms Wednesday night at the board’s annual re-organizational meeting
Hart District Elected Members Sworn In
With a focus on transparency and a desire to reassure customers that water rates will continue to reflect the accurate cost of providing services, the SCV Water Board of Directors recently adopted a rate-setting process that includes an independent ratepayer advocate.
SCV Water’s Rate-Setting Process to Include Ratepayer Advocate
Santa Clarita Valley residents and visitors will be able to enjoy 67.5 miles of an expanded network of multi-use trails and trail-related facilities, such as equestrian and outdoor leisure and sports, following approval Tuesday of the Santa Susana Mountains Trails Plan – Phase II, by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.
Santa Susana Mountains Trails Expand into SCV
This holiday season, Princess Cruises Community Foundation (PCCF) sponsored its eighth annual employee holiday giving program benefitting Single Mothers Outreach, a local nonprofit organization that empowers single parents and their children by providing hope, support and resources so that families can become self-sustaining.
Princess Cruises Annual Giving Program Benefits Single Mothers Outreach
The Christmas and New Year’s holidays are ways to spend time with family and friends ringing in another year, but also a time when people can make poor choices that put themselves and others at risk on the road.
LASD: ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ Campaign Begins Friday
A special meeting of the Castaic Union School District's Governing Board will take place Thursday at 5:00 p.m.
Dec. 13: CUSD Governing Board Special Meeting
1900 - Automobile Club of Southern California founded; first car in SCV appeared 1902 [story]
The Cougars posted a pair of victories vs. two familiar foes as College of the Canyons played to a third-place result at the 45th Annual Santa Barbara City College Tournament held Dec. 6-8.
Cougars Take Third at SBCC Tourney
"Milk and Cookies with Santa," a free "sensory-friendly" storytelling and cookie-eating event hosted by the city of Santa Clarita, is set for the Canyon Country Community Center on Monday, Dec. 17, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Dec. 17: ‘Sensory-Friendly’ Santa Event at Canyon Country Community Center
Faith Community Church in Newhall will host its 13th Annual “Festividad for Christ” community Christmas celebration on Saturday, Dec. 15, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Dec. 15: Faith Community Church to Host 13th Annual ‘Festividad for Christ’