Fog
Fog

March 24
1922 - Wyatt Earp's wife thanks William S. Hart for defending her husband's honor [story]

Longtime Santa Clarita resident Steve Hanauer – the “Steve” in Steve’s Valencia Florist – died Wednesday night from complications stemming from a fall he sustained the previous day.

Not just a florist, Hanauer was also a fixture in the Santa Clarita community, known for his generous support of local charities including the SCV Senior Center and the SCV Boys and Girls Club.

“He was very proud of this valley,” said his widow, Jan Hanauer. “He loved the people. He was very prominent with the ‘old-school Santa Clarita’ community and was always willing to help.”

The local entrepreneur owned and operated Steve’s Florist since 1974 – which makes it the oldest full-service flower shop in Santa Clarita. Prior to the Santa Clarita location, Hanauer owned flower shops in San Fernando and Brentwood.

The business expanded at one point to three locations in the Santa Clarita Valley, but Jan Hanauer said they later decided to dwindle it down to one – the original and current location on Lyons Avenue in Newhall. “One was easier to maintain,” she said.

Patti Rasmussen, a Santa Clarita arts commissioner, said Hanauer was the florist who serviced her wedding 40 years ago. Rasmussen remembers a kind man who would annually remind her husband to send her flowers when their anniversary was drawing near.

“He liked to tease my husband Charlie every year when he forgot our anniversary,” she said.

Rasmussen also remembers the flowers and card Hanauer sent her when her fourth son, Steven, was born: “Finally, you named one after me.”

“I think that’s what I’ll miss most about him,” Rasmussen said, “He had a wicked sense of humor.”

Jan Hanauer credits the longevity of the business to her husband’s hard work.

“Steve took pride in this,” she said. “Being in this business is a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. But he knew the kind of joy it brought to people. It’s a very rewarding job, and he loved it.”

Services for Hanauer are being planned. He was 76.

1. He was such a nice man. Prayers to his family 😢

2. Paula Morey-McElhinney Michelle James Debra L Noe

3. Sharon Duggins Fowler Alexis Soto

4. So sad. I’ve known Steve my entire life. When I was a little girl, my Mom and I would walk to the florist every week and get a single carnation. Years and years every week.

5. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sorry for you loss🙏🏻

6. Debra L Noe Debra L Noe says:

Oh my gosh is this the gentleman that Gerry knew so well At The Florist?

7. So sorry for your loss , Steve used to bring in special arrangements for the Kaiser lab staff and he made arrangements for us during the holidays that were gorgeous 💜. He was a very special man😢 very sorry for your loss 😢

8. A very nice man. Always helpful and ran a good business. Condolences to the family 😔🙏🏼

9. Bridget kaus ( Heuer) says:

Such sad news, Steve is such an important part of our family as my father and him were business owner side-by-side for so many years on Lyons Ave. prayers to Jan and the rest of the family

10. So sorry to hear this. They are the best florist in SCV. Sending prayers to his family.

11. Janie Garcia Janie Garcia says:

My condolences to the family. Very wonderful man.

12. Sorry for your loss. Prayers. Steve let my granddaughter come in and shadow when she was taking the ROP florist class. He was very kind and helpful. Can’t believe it.

13. Great Guy RIP Steve 🙏❤️😢

14. Such a kind gentleman, I hope there are beautiful flowers in heaven all around you. Prayers to the family.

15. So sad…he was such a kind man.

16. Sandy Worth Sandy Worth says:

I loved walking into his flower shop. Very generous with local charities. Steve will be missed for certain by many in the SCV.

17. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a true gentleman and always enjoyed a chat.

18. Jean kanawyer says:

I was so sad when I heard tonight that Steve passed away. He truly was the nicest man ever.. he always remembered me with flowers for several holidays from him and Jan. Said it was for the great service he received from me at Kaiser lab.Steve and Jan felt like family to me after all these years. My prayers go out to both of them and I thank God I was given the honor to know him and his wife. He will be missed.

19. Prayers and Condolences to Steve’s family.. Wonderful floral designer.. He did he flowers for my wedding in 1987.. Beautiful!

20. Glen Rollins says:

Steve was always a kind gentleman. I first met him in 1975. Helped him purchase a new Chevy Van.
    I bought bright red roses every year for my my wife Loretta. One for each year.
    He was so involved @ giving to the community. I’ve loved him always. Prayers to all the family. RIP Steve

21. Jeannine Sharar Walker says:

Such heart breaking news. My condolences and prayers to the family. He was a great man and will be deeply missed.

22. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

23. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

24. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

25. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

26. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

27. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

28. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

29. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

30. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

31. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

32. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

33. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

34. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

35. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

36. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

37. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

38. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

I’m so sorry n mother Roberta Veloz for your loss 😢we are thinking about you jean n your family RIP we love you guys be strong❤️🙏🏻

39. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

40. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

41. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

42. I got quite a few flowers from Steve’s! Great company! Sorry to hear he passed.

43. Robbie bailey says:

He donates pink flowers to the outpatient surgical unit after the pacient had their ports taken out as a way to give recognition for their fight against breast cancer.

44. Very sad news. He will be sincerely missed.

45. Received a floral arrangement when my son was born (13 years ago!) and have always fondly recalled such a beautiful bouquet. Nice gentleman. A big loss in our community.

46. I’m shocked with this news. I’ve known Steve a long time. And Steve’s Florist is iconic in our town. He’s going to be missed so much. Prayers to the family. I’m very sad.

47. Steve would take phone calls even after they closed in the night to send flowers all around the country for our family. So very sorry he passed.

48. A very Special fellow!!

49. Diana Sevanian says:

Such sad news. Steve Hanauer was one the sweetest, most humble and altruistic gentlemen you could ever meet. He was a large part of what made the American Cancer Society SCV Unit’s annual Daffodil Days campaign a success. He literally turned his flower shop over to the ACS volunteers each year to bring spring’s floral cheer to oncology patients as we raised vital ACS funds (by selling the daffodils throughout the community). Those of us st ACS could never thank this man enough for his generosity and kindness. What a huge heart and good soul he possessed. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

50. My sincere condolences to the family. Prayers.

51. Valerie Balsz Shelton made me think if all the flowers Lynn sent you!!!

• Valerie Shelton says:

When my husband and I were dating, he would order a flower arrangement for my work station every week. Steves florist did the most beautiful arrangements. They also did our flowers for our wedding in 1995. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. Our sincere condolences.

52. He was so kind to my parents and me when we bought flowers for my brother’s funeral. SCV lost a true community hero. RIP Steve. You will be missed.

53. Mary L Parks Mary L Parks says:

Steve was a great guy, he did the flowers for our wedding and my daughter
    learned to be a floral designer while working at Steve’s. We had another daughter who worked at Steve’s for a while and then my husband delivered flowers for Steve’s. He has touched our family in a great way. We send our love and prayers to his sweet wife and family.

54. Many beautiful flowers from such a great guy! Prayer for the family.

55. Helene White says:

Steve was a wonderful man. My husband, Micah and I, owned a print shop and did Steve’s printing. It was always a pleasure to deliver his work. He always had a smile on his face. Our hearts go out to his family.

56. So sad to hear this 😢. I loved going in to get my greenery from Steve. He was always so sweet and would give my daughter a flower each time she would go with me 💕 Hugs and Prayers to the family

57. Kevin Frandson says:

Steve was a wonderful active member in our town. He contributed much and will be missed.

58. Oh no, so sad to hear. He was such a kind man. Will be praying for his family.

59. God Bless Steve❤️family gardenia lady

60. Marta Cesta Marta Cesta says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a kind person.

61. Mary Lou Kelly says:

I first met Steve and Bonnie in about 1974 when we all moved into the new American Beauty homes off Bouquet Canyon. We were all part of such a great neighborhood. Steve asked me to work for them at Maclay Florist as a “bookkeeper”. Lots of fun. He will be missed.

62. Sarah Stokes Sarah Stokes says:

Beth Stokes 😥😥

63. lois eisenberg says:

All the tributes were so forthcoming **
    I Ditto everyone of them**

64. Mama Bear says:

So sorry to hear this. We knew Steve when he and my husband were in the local Jaycees in the l970s. We have kept in touch since then; but probably not enough ;-( He was always generous with Zonta when we needed flowers for a special event. He will be sadly missed.

65. My heart is broken for his wife and kids. Our kids went to Valencia high together. I recently lost my husband. I feel your pain. 😓

66. So sad. Prayers to his family🙏

67. Ed Masterson says:

What a loss… Steve was so great with my daughter this past prom season helping her and her friends pick out boutonnieres for their dates…and same with my son in previous years…Steve was a great gentleman… Special thoughts and thank yous to his family for sharing Steve him with all of us for so many wonderful years… He will be thought of often, and always with great affection… The angels have a new florist to point them in the right direction…

68. Gail Legere Gail Legere says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a nice guy. We purchased flowers from him for many years. My condolences goes out to his family.

69. Jason White Jason White says:

I was just here a week ago. God bless you Steve. You were super awesome and most helpful.

70. Janet Allen Janet Allen says:

Sorry to hear… good man

71. Anna Riggs says:

So sorry! We got flowers for our 50th anniversary, wonderful job, wonderful man! God bless the family.

72. Josh Harvey Josh Harvey says:

He will be missed! I was just in there a few weeks ago

73. mike talbot says:

Steve, was a very kind man. He helped us send flowers during happy and sad occasions. There’s such an emptiness knowing that he’s gone from our community.

Saturday, Mar 23, 2019
Lanes Reopened After Multiple-Vehicle Crashes Close I-5 in Grapevine
The California Highway Patrol closed all southbound lanes of Interstate 5 at Gorman School Road and southbound lanes at Frazier Mountain Park Saturday afternoon to clean up after multi-vehicle crashes in two locations.
Friday, Mar 22, 2019
Newsom Proclaims State of Emergency on Wildfires
Governor Gavin Newsom Friday proclaimed a state of emergency throughout California ahead of the coming fire season, directing his administration to immediately expedite forest management projects that will protect 200 of California’s most wildfire-vulnerable communities.
Friday, Mar 22, 2019
Mueller Submits Long-Awaited Report on Russian Meddling in US Election
Nearly two years in the making, Special Counsel Robert Mueller confidentially submitted his report Friday on Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election, but it remains unclear as to when, or whether, Attorney General William Barr will make the report public.

Lanes Reopened After Multiple-Vehicle Crashes Close I-5 in Grapevine
1886 - Film director Robert N. Bradbury born in Washington state; launched John Wayne's career in Placerita Canyon [watch]
Newsom Proclaims State of Emergency on Wildfires
For the second time in as many years here, a Mustang barreled to the rim in the closing seconds and scored a game-tying basket, only for the opposition to land a jarring counterpunch. This time no overtime was necessary.
Men’s Hoops: TMU Falls on Buzzer-Beater in NAIA First Round
As Master's concluded the Battle at Primm in Nipton, California, on Tuesday, the tournament's bright spot remained Karsten Briley's ridiculously low second round a day earlier.
TMU Men’s Golfers Prep for Fast Turnaround After Primm
College of the Canyons placed golfers in the top three individual spots on the way to winning its fourth straight conference tournament with a five-man score of 367 at Antelope Valley Country Club on Monday.
Wakaari Medals Again, Cougs Win Fourth Straight
College of the Canyons' men's swim team won a relay event and combined for eight top-five finishes to lead the Cougars to a third-place team result during the Western State Conference meet held at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center on Saturday, March 16.
Cougars Swim to Third at Home WSC Meet
College of the Canyons won a combined nine events and finished runner-up in six more during a strong showing at the non-conference Bakersfield College Relays on Saturday, March 16.
Cougars Track & Field Roars at BC Relays
The city of Santa Clarita will host a public ribbon-cutting event to celebrate the completion of the Sierra Highway Pedestrian Bridge and Street Improvement Project on Friday, March 29, at 10 a.m.
March 29: City to Dedicate New Sierra Highway Pedestrian Bridge
Mueller Submits Long-Awaited Report on Russian Meddling in US Election
The Civilian Oversight Commission for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will host its monthly commission meeting in downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday, March 26, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
March 26: Oversight Panel to Focus on LASD Secret Subgroups, ICE Policy, Sheriff’s Actions
The students in California State University, Northridge Finance 491A and 491B: Student Portfolio Seminar are outperforming finance professionals and turning nearly $5 million of investments into scholarships, research and other opportunities for the university.
Students Beat the Markets in Managing CSUN’s Portfolio
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station will take part in a bicycle and pedestrian safety enforcement operation in the city of Santa Clarita on Monday, March 25, between 5 a.m. and 3 p.m.
March 25: LASD Bicycle, Pedestrian Safety Operation in Santa Clarita
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, March 26, starting at 1 p.m.
March 26: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
California consumers are applying for clean-vehicle rebates at a record pace as demand for the cleanest vehicles on the market skyrocketed over the past year.
Sales of Electric Cars Breaking Records in California
As long-sparring foes, Cemex and the city of Santa Clarita enter what appears to be the final 16 months of their rocky relationship. A recent lawsuit filed by the former against the latter was done without fanfare and withdrawn just as quietly.
Cemex Silent on Dismissal of Suit Against City of Santa Clarita
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station arrested an unidentified couple in Castaic on felony vandalism and misdemeanor drug and theft charges on Wednesday, station officials reported Friday.
Napping Couple Nabbed in Castaic on Vandalism, Drug Charges
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra Friday filed a motion for a preliminary injunction seeking to block the Trump-Pence Administration’s Title X Family Planning Rule.
California AG Seeks Injunction to Halt Feds’ Title X Gag Rule
The Looks Threading Salon, located at the intersection of Copper Hill and Seco Canyon, is celebrating its 1-year anniversary on Saturday, March 23, from 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Local Threading Salon to Offer Mimosas, Deals at Anniversary Event
Parents of a girl rescued after she was found pushing on a second-floor window screen early this month appeared in court Monday on charges of cruelty to a child that is likely to produce injury or death.
Parents of Child Rescued from Window Appear in Court
Noted life scientist, teacher and academic leader Carol L. Folt will become the University of Southern California’s 12th president and will take office July 1, the USC Board of Trustees announced Wednesday.
Carol L. Folt to Become USC’s 12th President July 1
The Los Angeles County Probation Department, along with several of its county collaborative agencies, has officially rolled out a new protocol designed to provide specialized services to detained youth who are identified as victims of sex-trafficking.
LA County Probation Moves to Aid Young Sex-Trafficking Victims
1875 - Construction begins on San Fernando Railroad Tunnel [story]
A new report on the health of counties across the nation has ranked Los Angeles County among the California health jurisdictions with the lowest rates of premature death. The County’s result also fared better than those of the other three most populous counties in the nation.
Report Indicates LA County Among Lowest Rates of Premature Deaths
The Valencia High School Marching Band, led by band director Mark Judd, with over 40 members of the award-winning marching band, performed in the historic New York City 2019 St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday, March 16.
Vikings Marching Band Featured at New York’s Historic St. Patrick’s Day Parade
LOS ANGELES - In observance of World TB Day 2019 on Sunday, March 24, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) and community partners will light the LAX pylons, Grand Park Fountain and Union Station up in red as part of the Stop TB Partnership Light up the World campaign to honor victims and survivors of the deadly disease.
County Public Health to Observe World TB Day on Sunday
KANSAS CITY, Missouri — As The Master's University men's basketball team interacted with elementary students inside Municipal Auditorium on Wednesday, one child asked an assistant coach to take a selfie.
No. 2 Mustangs Banking on Experience at NAIA Tournament
Coach Dan Waldeck's excitement over learning that members of his starting front court had been named NAIA All-Americans was matched by another interest.
Pair of Lady Mustangs Named NAIA All-Americans
ATHERTON, Calif. – The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers were swept in their doubleheader against Menlo College (11-18), losing game one, 9-1 in five innings, and dropping game two, 6-2 on Thursday in non-conference NAIA softball action at Wunderlich Field in Atherton, Calif.
Lady Pioneers Swept in Doubleheader
The seven-week trial of a commercial driver charged with six counts of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter has ended in a hung jury and a mistrial declared in the case of 71-year-old Richard Lopez.
Mistrial Declared in Vehicular Manslaughter Case that Killed 6 in Gorman
Junior Chamber International of Santa Clarita, also known as the “The Jaycees,” is celebrating after holding several successful events and is thrilled to announce some exciting new opportunities to connect with young leaders.
Junior Chamber Santa Clarita Embarks on New Opportunities for Young Leaders
Spectrum SportsNet LA announced Thursday its comprehensive, all-access Los Angeles Dodgers programming schedule for the 2019 regular season. The network’s coverage will include over 150 live games in English and Spanish, beginning on Opening Day when the Dodgers host the Arizona Diamondbacks on March 28 at 1:10PM.
Spectrum SportsNet LA Announces All-Access 2019 Dodgers Programming
Attendees at the 2019 Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival, presented by California Resources Corporation, will have a new opportunity to see some of the most iconic sets in recent film history.
Tour of Blue Cloud Movie Ranch Now Part of Cowboy Festival Lineup
The County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors passed amendments Tuesday to strengthen the County’s policies on smoke-free environments and to close loopholes where smoking is permitted. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) provided recommendations to close the gaps of existing County smoke-free ordinances.
County Looks to Strengthen Ordinance on Smoke-Free Environments
College of the Canyons has been awarded $3 million by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) to upgrade its existing fuel cell technology system, bringing the college one step closer to energy independence.
COC One Step Closer to Energy Independence After $3M Award