Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

October 18
1876 - Southern Pacific begins subdividing town of Newhall (original location at Bouquet Junction) [story]

Longtime Santa Clarita resident Steve Hanauer – the “Steve” in Steve’s Valencia Florist – died Wednesday night from complications stemming from a fall he sustained the previous day.

Not just a florist, Hanauer was also a fixture in the Santa Clarita community, known for his generous support of local charities including the SCV Senior Center and the SCV Boys and Girls Club.

“He was very proud of this valley,” said his widow, Jan Hanauer. “He loved the people. He was very prominent with the ‘old-school Santa Clarita’ community and was always willing to help.”

The local entrepreneur owned and operated Steve’s Florist since 1974 – which makes it the oldest full-service flower shop in Santa Clarita. Prior to the Santa Clarita location, Hanauer owned flower shops in San Fernando and Brentwood.

The business expanded at one point to three locations in the Santa Clarita Valley, but Jan Hanauer said they later decided to dwindle it down to one – the original and current location on Lyons Avenue in Newhall. “One was easier to maintain,” she said.

Patti Rasmussen, a Santa Clarita arts commissioner, said Hanauer was the florist who serviced her wedding 40 years ago. Rasmussen remembers a kind man who would annually remind her husband to send her flowers when their anniversary was drawing near.

“He liked to tease my husband Charlie every year when he forgot our anniversary,” she said.

Rasmussen also remembers the flowers and card Hanauer sent her when her fourth son, Steven, was born: “Finally, you named one after me.”

“I think that’s what I’ll miss most about him,” Rasmussen said, “He had a wicked sense of humor.”

Jan Hanauer credits the longevity of the business to her husband’s hard work.

“Steve took pride in this,” she said. “Being in this business is a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. But he knew the kind of joy it brought to people. It’s a very rewarding job, and he loved it.”

Services for Hanauer are being planned. He was 76.

1. He was such a nice man. Prayers to his family 😢

2. Paula Morey-McElhinney Michelle James Debra L Noe

3. Sharon Duggins Fowler Alexis Soto

4. So sad. I’ve known Steve my entire life. When I was a little girl, my Mom and I would walk to the florist every week and get a single carnation. Years and years every week.

5. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sorry for you loss🙏🏻

6. Debra L Noe Debra L Noe says:

Oh my gosh is this the gentleman that Gerry knew so well At The Florist?

7. So sorry for your loss , Steve used to bring in special arrangements for the Kaiser lab staff and he made arrangements for us during the holidays that were gorgeous 💜. He was a very special man😢 very sorry for your loss 😢

8. A very nice man. Always helpful and ran a good business. Condolences to the family 😔🙏🏼

9. Bridget kaus ( Heuer) says:

Such sad news, Steve is such an important part of our family as my father and him were business owner side-by-side for so many years on Lyons Ave. prayers to Jan and the rest of the family

10. So sorry to hear this. They are the best florist in SCV. Sending prayers to his family.

11. Janie Garcia Janie Garcia says:

My condolences to the family. Very wonderful man.

12. Sorry for your loss. Prayers. Steve let my granddaughter come in and shadow when she was taking the ROP florist class. He was very kind and helpful. Can’t believe it.

13. Great Guy RIP Steve 🙏❤️😢

14. Such a kind gentleman, I hope there are beautiful flowers in heaven all around you. Prayers to the family.

15. So sad…he was such a kind man.

16. Sandy Worth Sandy Worth says:

I loved walking into his flower shop. Very generous with local charities. Steve will be missed for certain by many in the SCV.

17. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a true gentleman and always enjoyed a chat.

18. Jean kanawyer says:

I was so sad when I heard tonight that Steve passed away. He truly was the nicest man ever.. he always remembered me with flowers for several holidays from him and Jan. Said it was for the great service he received from me at Kaiser lab.Steve and Jan felt like family to me after all these years. My prayers go out to both of them and I thank God I was given the honor to know him and his wife. He will be missed.

19. Prayers and Condolences to Steve’s family.. Wonderful floral designer.. He did he flowers for my wedding in 1987.. Beautiful!

20. Glen Rollins says:

Steve was always a kind gentleman. I first met him in 1975. Helped him purchase a new Chevy Van.
    I bought bright red roses every year for my my wife Loretta. One for each year.
    He was so involved @ giving to the community. I’ve loved him always. Prayers to all the family. RIP Steve

21. Jeannine Sharar Walker says:

Such heart breaking news. My condolences and prayers to the family. He was a great man and will be deeply missed.

22. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

23. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

24. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

25. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

26. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

27. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

28. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

29. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

30. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

31. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

32. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

33. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

34. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

35. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

36. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

37. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

38. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

I’m so sorry n mother Roberta Veloz for your loss 😢we are thinking about you jean n your family RIP we love you guys be strong❤️🙏🏻

39. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

40. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

41. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

42. I got quite a few flowers from Steve’s! Great company! Sorry to hear he passed.

43. Robbie bailey says:

He donates pink flowers to the outpatient surgical unit after the pacient had their ports taken out as a way to give recognition for their fight against breast cancer.

44. Very sad news. He will be sincerely missed.

45. Received a floral arrangement when my son was born (13 years ago!) and have always fondly recalled such a beautiful bouquet. Nice gentleman. A big loss in our community.

46. I’m shocked with this news. I’ve known Steve a long time. And Steve’s Florist is iconic in our town. He’s going to be missed so much. Prayers to the family. I’m very sad.

47. Steve would take phone calls even after they closed in the night to send flowers all around the country for our family. So very sorry he passed.

48. A very Special fellow!!

49. Diana Sevanian says:

Such sad news. Steve Hanauer was one the sweetest, most humble and altruistic gentlemen you could ever meet. He was a large part of what made the American Cancer Society SCV Unit’s annual Daffodil Days campaign a success. He literally turned his flower shop over to the ACS volunteers each year to bring spring’s floral cheer to oncology patients as we raised vital ACS funds (by selling the daffodils throughout the community). Those of us st ACS could never thank this man enough for his generosity and kindness. What a huge heart and good soul he possessed. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

50. My sincere condolences to the family. Prayers.

51. Valerie Balsz Shelton made me think if all the flowers Lynn sent you!!!

• Valerie Shelton says:

When my husband and I were dating, he would order a flower arrangement for my work station every week. Steves florist did the most beautiful arrangements. They also did our flowers for our wedding in 1995. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. Our sincere condolences.

52. He was so kind to my parents and me when we bought flowers for my brother’s funeral. SCV lost a true community hero. RIP Steve. You will be missed.

53. Mary L Parks Mary L Parks says:

Steve was a great guy, he did the flowers for our wedding and my daughter
    learned to be a floral designer while working at Steve’s. We had another daughter who worked at Steve’s for a while and then my husband delivered flowers for Steve’s. He has touched our family in a great way. We send our love and prayers to his sweet wife and family.

54. Many beautiful flowers from such a great guy! Prayer for the family.

55. Helene White says:

Steve was a wonderful man. My husband, Micah and I, owned a print shop and did Steve’s printing. It was always a pleasure to deliver his work. He always had a smile on his face. Our hearts go out to his family.

56. So sad to hear this 😢. I loved going in to get my greenery from Steve. He was always so sweet and would give my daughter a flower each time she would go with me 💕 Hugs and Prayers to the family

57. Kevin Frandson says:

Steve was a wonderful active member in our town. He contributed much and will be missed.

58. Oh no, so sad to hear. He was such a kind man. Will be praying for his family.

59. God Bless Steve❤️family gardenia lady

60. Marta Cesta Marta Cesta says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a kind person.

61. Mary Lou Kelly says:

I first met Steve and Bonnie in about 1974 when we all moved into the new American Beauty homes off Bouquet Canyon. We were all part of such a great neighborhood. Steve asked me to work for them at Maclay Florist as a “bookkeeper”. Lots of fun. He will be missed.

62. Sarah Stokes Sarah Stokes says:

Beth Stokes 😥😥

63. lois eisenberg says:

All the tributes were so forthcoming **
    I Ditto everyone of them**

64. Mama Bear says:

So sorry to hear this. We knew Steve when he and my husband were in the local Jaycees in the l970s. We have kept in touch since then; but probably not enough ;-( He was always generous with Zonta when we needed flowers for a special event. He will be sadly missed.

65. My heart is broken for his wife and kids. Our kids went to Valencia high together. I recently lost my husband. I feel your pain. 😓

66. So sad. Prayers to his family🙏

67. Ed Masterson says:

What a loss… Steve was so great with my daughter this past prom season helping her and her friends pick out boutonnieres for their dates…and same with my son in previous years…Steve was a great gentleman… Special thoughts and thank yous to his family for sharing Steve him with all of us for so many wonderful years… He will be thought of often, and always with great affection… The angels have a new florist to point them in the right direction…

68. Gail Legere Gail Legere says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a nice guy. We purchased flowers from him for many years. My condolences goes out to his family.

69. Jason White Jason White says:

I was just here a week ago. God bless you Steve. You were super awesome and most helpful.

70. Janet Allen Janet Allen says:

Sorry to hear… good man

71. Anna Riggs says:

So sorry! We got flowers for our 50th anniversary, wonderful job, wonderful man! God bless the family.

72. Josh Harvey Josh Harvey says:

He will be missed! I was just in there a few weeks ago

73. mike talbot says:

Steve, was a very kind man. He helped us send flowers during happy and sad occasions. There’s such an emptiness knowing that he’s gone from our community.

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017
Rick Gould Retires as City’s Parks & Recreation Chief
After 16 years as director of Parks, Recreation and Community Service for the city of Santa Clarita, Rick Gould announced Monday he's retiring in mid-December.
Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017
National Teen Driver Safety Week Underway
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teenagers, ahead of all other types of injury, disease, or violence.
Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017
Resources, Outreach Available to SCV Victims of Elder Abuse
Elder abuse and scams targeting seniors are a growing problem, Santa Clarita detectives said, but there are numerous resources and protections available.

CalArts Center for New Performance (CNP), the professional producing arm of California Institute of the Arts, opens Fantômas: Revenge of the Image at Wuzhen Theatre Festival in Wuzhen, China, on Oct. 19.
Oct. 19: CalArts’ Fantomas: Revenge of the Image Premieres in China
The CSUN women's golf team fired rounds of 306-309 and is in fourth place, just eight shots off the pace at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Seattle University Invitational at the Tacoma Country and Golf Club in Tacoma, WA.
CSUN Just Eight Shots Off Pace At Washington Invitational
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Recreation, Community Services, Arts and Open Spaces Director Rick Gould announces retirement. Plus, the Board of Supervisors approve mental health care improvements. Check out these stories and more tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
The Advanced Technology Presentation about "Careers in the Making...Design, Engineering, Fabrication and More..." in celebration of National Manufacturing Day was a huge success.
SCV Students Gain Knowledge, Advice at National Manufacturing Day
A local company is expanding its footprint in the Santa Clarita Valley to accommodate business growth and another is relocating a division of its company from Sylmar.
Accurate Freight Systems Expands, Leases Space at IAC Commerce Center
The Domestic Violence Center (DVC) of Santa Clarita Valley is accepting applications for Adopt-a-Family 2017.
DVC of SCV Currently Accepting Adopt-a-Family 2017 Applications
Major Impact Theater, founded by Jill Garson and Shawnda Davis in 2014, is a non-profit theater group that specially adapts plays for performance by adults with disabilities in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Nov. 4: Major Impact Theater Presents Blunderland
California State University, Northridge will make history on Thursday, Oct. 26, by becoming the first California State University with a Sustainability Center.
Oct. 26: CSUN to Open Sustainability Center
Registration for the Purple Walk of Strength is now open.
Oct. 21: Purple Walk of Strength to Benefit Domestic Violence Center
Raising a child is a demanding job for any parent, especially when supportive resources seem to be elusive or nonexistent.
Oct. 22: CSUN Hosts Special Needs Resource Fair
College of the Canyons dominated its match vs. Bakersfield College from start to finish on Friday night, resulting in a 5-1 victory over the Renegades for the Cougars' first conference win of the season.
COC Gets First Conference Win of Season Against Bakersfield College
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Following a two-week layoff, College of the Canyons cross country was back in competition on Saturday, running with a mix of community college and Division I programs at the Sixth Annual UC Riverside Highlander Invitational.
COC Cross Country Back in Competition After Two Week Layoff
The race to qualify for the Big West Conference Men's Soccer Tournament continues for CSUN this week with a home match against UC Riverside Wednesday night before the Matadors head to UC Irvine Saturday.
Oct. 18: CSUN Faces Off Against UC Riverside
Rick Gould Retires as City’s Parks & Recreation Chief
High school seniors whose dream is to make a difference in the world by majoring in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) are invited to apply for Edison International’s $1.2 million Edison Scholars Program.
STEM Students Encouraged to Apply for Edison Scholars Program
National Teen Driver Safety Week Underway
Resources, Outreach Available to SCV Victims of Elder Abuse
Despite rallying from an early 2-0 deficit, College of the Canyons dropped a 4-2 decision to visiting Victor Valley College on Friday.
Canyons Rally Not Enough To Hold Off Victor Valley College
The College of the Canyons baseball program and Playa Vista Orioles youth baseball organization will host a free instructional clinic for players ages 11-14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Cougar Field.
Oct. 21: Youth Baseball Clinic at COC
Sacramento – In an effort to curb the fraudulent use of Disabled Person Parking Placards, the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has launched a statewide public awareness campaign to educate Californians about the proper use of disabled parking placards and the consequences of misusing one.
DMV Launches Statewide Campaign on Use of Disabled Parking Placards
A California State University, Northridge program that provides support to undergraduate students from underrepresented communities to pursue graduate degrees in the mathematical sciences has been named a 2017 Example of Excelencia in Education.
CSUN Math Program Lauded 2017 Example of Excelencia in Education
RE/MAX of Valencia will be hosting a blood drive benefiting Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Nov. 1: RE/MAX Blood Drive to Benefit CHLA
Princess Cruises has officially announced its third annual Culinary Cruise Series, featuring famed Miami-based chefs Brad Kilgore and Scott Linquist.
Princess Cruises Will Feature Two Acclaimed Chefs in Culinary Cruise Series
1837 - Trapper Peter LaBeck killed by grizzly bear at El Tejon [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Governor Brown signed off on a new bill that will change local water retailers distribute water in SCV. Plus, a spicy and savory Saturday for charity. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, October 16, 2017
The Newhall School District's next Regular Board Meeting is Tuesday, October 17 at 6:15 p.m., and consideration of Newhall Family Theater approvals are on the agenda.
Oct. 17: Newhall School District Considers Newhall Family Theater OK
Master’s and Westmont College needed more than 90 minutes again Saturday to settle a Golden State Athletic Conference showdown in Santa Barbara.
Master’s Men Soccer Players Fall to Westmont in OT
Leaders from the CLWA and NCWC will meet in October, November and December to discuss their merger, which creates the Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency as of Jan. 1.
Next Step: Water Agency Officials to Share Merger Details
Master’s women soccer players and coaches alike were adamant after Saturday’s top-10 matchup that Westmont’s 5-2 win wasn’t nearly as lopsided as the score suggests.
Westmont Tops Master’s Women’s Soccer 5-2
Although Friday the 13th is a day generally associated with bad luck, CalArts turned the superstition on its ear as the community celebrated the inauguration of its fourth president, Ravi S. Rajan.
CalArts Inaugurates Ravi S. Rajan as Fourth President
CalArts School of Theater faculty Janie Geiser brings her collage film program "Double Vision" to REDCAT in downtown Los Angeles on Monday, Oct. 16 at 8:30 p.m.
Oct 16: ‘Double Vision’: Recent Films by Janie Geiser at REDCAT
The promising signs the Mustangs showed in their Missouri opener paid off in the evening Friday when Master’s women’s volleyball picked up its first road win of the season.
Master’s Rallies on the Road, Nets Season’s First Win
College of the Canyons' women's volleyball team opened Western State Conference play in style, as the Cougars swept visiting West L.A. College in straight sets.
No. 11 Canyons Sweeps West L.A. at the Cougar Cage
Route 66 Classic Grill in Canyon Country will host a fundraiser for local victims of the October 1 Las Vegas shootings on Saturday, October 28, from noon to 4 p.m.
Oct. 28: Route 66 Hosts Benefit for Las Vegas Shooting Victims
A roundup of the Santa Clarita arts-related events for Oct. 16-20, 2017.
Oct. 16-20: Santa Clarita Arts Upcoming Events