Clear
Clear

February 19
1803 - Indian family members removed from Caamulus (Camulos) village, Piru area, are baptized at San Fernando Mission [record]

Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Thursday, Sep 21, 2017

Next time I’m in California, I think I’m going to decide which laws I want to follow. Since so few seem to adhere to the speed limit anyway, I think I will follow those laws – but I don’t think I will follow laws concerning private property.

I could take the shortcuts overland with my truck. Hey, if I wanted to drive up Pico Canyon, I’m sure my four-wheel drive would get me over the creek and onto the road past the gates at Mentryville. It is state property, but I will, in my defense, use the sanctuary clause now used by California: I don’t have to obey the law if I feel it is unfair or I don’t like the politicians now in office.

If I get a traffic ticket in Fillmore – a noted speed trap, as many of you know – I’ll refuse to pay the fine and declare that Santa Clarita is my sanctuary and Fillmore can’t come and get me.

Really, that is what is being used in defense of non-citizens of the United States, so why can’t I use it, too? Since when does a citizen have fewer rights than a non-citizen?

OK, the odds of me being in California are growing slimmer every day. Before anyone says it, I will: I don’t think you want me there any longer. I’m just so sorry about what is happening to the state of California. The state of my birth. The state I still love but can’t live in.

Now that the formerly great state of California is a sanctuary, I’ve got to compare that action with the actions in the early 1860s of the states of North and South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Yes, the Confederate States of America. They decided what laws they wanted to follow and what ones they didn’t. That action didn’t turn out too well for them at all. I think that is a valid comparison.

There are counties in northern California and southern Oregon that want to break away from their states and form a new state to be called Jefferson. The same thing happened in the 1860s. Certain western counties of Virginia broke away and became West Virginia. They did it legally.

More than 600,000 men on both sides of the Civil War died. Half of them were fighting to keep the states united. The Northern states fought for the Union. When some states decide that the laws of the union don’t apply to them, the Union is once again in danger.

I’ve just spent more than two months in the Commonwealth of Virginia. On the trip there and back, I can’t tell you how many folks talked about California. Texans “like” all of the new citizens from California, as do many of the folks in the other states along our travels. We met many folks from many states while we were camp hosts at First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, Va. Nearly all get a good laugh at California. I used to defend California. I can’t do that now.

I can’t defend actions of the political leaders of California who seek to divide the state from all of the other states. I can’t defend actions that increase taxes and also allow dangerous felons to be released from prison and commit violent crimes again.

Some of the biggest laughs I heard were about the stupid things the state is doing. Just to list a few, here they are:

1. Cow flatulence control. Keeping cows from farting seems to be so very important to control climate change. I guess they never heard about the millions of American bison that roamed the Midwest at one time.

2. The high-speed train. Just what is it needed for when the highways are in such a bad condition?

3. Gasoline taxes. Is it a race to see what state will have the highest gas tax?

4. Sanctuary state law.

5. Voting of non-citizens. Get registered to vote when you get your license. Must have some great controls.

6. Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters. In some places just saying those two names brought laughs followed by words that can’t be published here. Former Californians would add Jerry Brown.

For me, this is all so sad. I love the beaches, mountains, valleys and deserts of California. I love the history, too. I grew up in part of that history. Today I am ashamed. I’m ashamed that my home state has no home for me. I’m ashamed even to say I’m a native Californian.

I do understand now why folks say “I’m sorry” when I tell them where I was born and raised. What happened?

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley for a spell. Now he hangs his cowboy hat in Arizona. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com. His older commentaries are archived at DManzer.com; his newer commentaries can be accessed [here]. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. “What Happened?” — Darryl you obviously need to read Hillary’s new fictional account and ask her. She and all those “experts” in Sacramental now a lot (both Demonrat and Republacrat).

2. We hate the idea of a sanctuary state, city, etc. The politicians definitely don’t speak for all of California’s citizens. This sanctuary crap makes me want to puke!!!!!

3. Abigail says:

That is one of the biggest conversations we have going on in our family now. When and how to get out of California. We are not sure where we are going but we have come to terms with we need out. It is sad that we have become a joke to this nation. It is sad this country has become a joke to most other countries. I don’t agree with much going on in Washington DC, but I don’t agree with turning your back on your country more.

4. Dont believe it will happen. Too much money in this state. And they will leave too.

5. Jack Murphy Jack Murphy says:

Great piece Darryl. Good job my brother

6. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sad I feel exactly the same 😩

7. Dave Rickmers says:

Ask those new Texans how they are enjoying
    the weather! Taxes on food and medicine?
    Religious crazies in positions of power add
    just the right amount of uncertainty.

Never again.

8. Abigail DeSesa says:

9. Do you people at SCTV go out of your way to find assholes to write these opinion pieces?

10. SCgal says:

Good riddance

11. cBrow says:

California has many issues, however something is being done right. There are plenty of jobs(if you go to school and forge a path in the right career). The homes are expensive, however people can afford them, at least the ones that are willing to put in what it takes.

12. dennis says:

I didn’t sign up for this libtard democratic corrupted out of touch and greed driven policys.That people like Maxine waters lives in a ten millon dollar home on a 100 thousand dollar salary we know shes corrupted and so far out of touch.Jerry brown is the most corrupt people forget what he did back in his last term the only reason he was reelected is because of all the non citizens voted him in because they were not here to see this coruppt peice of crap in action.These people sould be in jail and you and the libtard democrats know it so spare me the bulls### we know the truth and we know these people violate there oaths of office on a daily basis.We need to take these public coruppt officials and hold there feet to the fire or this crap will never stop.It will only get worse.Why do you think they dont like Trump because he knows there game and hes a threat to there coruppt criminal syndicate.And if you think im not speaking the truth fact check what im saying you libtard trolls out there.Im sick and tired of this crap TURN OF THE DAM TV AND GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND LEARN THE FACTS SO WE CAN MAKE THIS A BETTER PLACE FOR OUR CHILDREN!!!If you dont then you can blame your self when its to late!!!Wake up for Gods sake.

13. Nadiya Littlewarrior says:

……just stay in Arizona. Where they shoot their US Reps and treat American Indians like the dirt on their shoes!

14. Lee says:

And yet despite all of the derision, vitriol and hate, it seems that quite a few people want to move to California (besides illegal aliens, that is), which is why housing prices are sky high. I just read a news article about how many Republicans are finally beginning to acknowledge Climate change, and anyone who reads the news should already know that our birth rate is shrinking, as is most of the Western world, which is why social security and Medicare are in danger of failing, because less people are paying the taxes for the Boomer generation’s retirement. So where do we get the additional people from? (hint; it won’t be from Europe). I am no fan of illegal aliens, and don’t like my government making the entire state a “sanctuary state,” but since the progressive states in this country have often proved to be not only progressive, but also right about emerging issues, I will reserve my judgement. Frankly, it sounds like Darryl Manzer has acclimated to Arizona extremely well.

15. Hi Darryl, As the saying goes “You can’t go Home” is so trure. Home is no longer there. The last time I was in “Newhall” was in the 70’s and home was gone then. So sad. I live in Florida now and see the some thing happening here over the past 30 yr’s. Glad I am in the winter of my life, but feel for the kids and grandkids. Hope they can some how have the good memories that we have of our early years. Sheron

16. jim says:

Darryl,

If you think that California is the only place you don’t want to be, I suspect you are mistaken.

We’re close enough in age that we share a lot of life experiences, although since I drew the long straw in the draft for VietNam, that is one we don’t share.

You are right about many things in your article; but if you think that the latest generation (aka constantly on-line, unable to drive with any skill, unable to live without constant digital input) are different elsewhere you are mistaken.

As for the Liberace’s running Cali’s government, that’s no surprise. This state has been headed that way for a long time. In addition, the cost of living here would make your naval pension seem like a pittance. I don’t believe that is the way it should be. Your pension (and others) for your service should be worth a livable retirement wherever you choose to live. The same should go for your VA healthcare.

But that is not the way things are set up. And they aren’t going to change in Washington or here in California. Not unless the Peeps shut up, stand up and pay attention to what’s going on.

And in case you hadn’t noticed, even if they do: there is nobody listening – or doing anything about it.

• Abigail DeSesa says:

Jim – I agree with your assessment and I will add that none of the Peeps will ever stand up because none of them have to ever live by these retirements and medical services.

• Mike says:

Hard to believe libs have such control of this state…above the law…all is true…thanks to all the unionization of public jobs..you could say the mob is alive and well…i wish our federal govt would start sueing this state, revoke charter, something to lay waste to jerry brown and mooks.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Feb 15, 2018
There was broad public support for the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan, which struck a careful balance between lands available for large-scale renewable energy development and the environment. Now the federal government is rethinking it - putting the important and much-needed protections at risk.
Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018
You can prevent vision loss by finding and treating problems early. Medicare covers a glaucoma test once every 12 months for people at high risk for glaucoma
Wednesday, Feb 7, 2018
Sierra Club Angeles Chapter SCV Group Chair Sandra Cattell urges Santa Clarita Valley residents to contact their congressional representatives to push legislation to kill the Cemex mining project in Soledad Canyon.
Friday, Feb 2, 2018
Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin highlights the city's customer service efforts in his message for February 2018.
Friday, Feb 2, 2018
If the Department of the Interior is successful in destroying this national monument, the next one slated for destruction is Grand Staircase-Escalante, then Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument along the California-Oregon border.
Friday, Feb 2, 2018
Here’s what is happening on February 24: a rally to organize students in the Los Angeles Unified School District "against" the highly effective Los Angeles School Police Department.

NextSCV, newly rebranded from SCV Emerging Leaders, will host a behind-the-scenes tour of the Princess Cruises world headquarters in Valencia, followed by a mixer at The Dudes’ Brewery, on Wednesday, February 28.
Feb. 28: NextSCV Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Princess Cruises HQ
The Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Foundation has added three new members to the board of directors -- Don Kimball, community president at FivePoint; Tracy Lawrence, MD, director of Emergency Services, Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital; and Robert Stern, CPA, Stern, Kory, Morgan & Sreden.
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Foundation Adds 3 to Board
Hollywood Boulevard will be closed for the Oscars between Highland Avenue and Orange Drive from 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 25 to 6 a.m. on Wednesday, March 7.
Hollywood Blvd. Closed for Oscars Feb. 25 to March 7
Westmont scored a 54-41 home win over The Master's University women's basketball team Saturday night, as the Mustangs scored the fewest points in a game this season, shooting just 31 percent from the floor.
The Master’s Can’t Find Groove in Santa Barbara
The TMU Mustangs rallied from a deficit late Saturday afternoon to beat Hope International 4-3 in the nightcap, completing a series and a doubleheader sweep of the No. 8 Royals.
Mustangs’ 4-3 Comeback Sweeps Royals in Closer
Josh Robison slugged a go-ahead, two-run homer in the eighth inning and No. 14 The Master's University rallied from a three-run deficit to beat No. 8 Hope International 7-6 in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Lou Herwaldt Stadium.
Robison Rallies Mustangs Past Royals in Opener
Farmers Insurance agent Jon Albert will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the grand opening of his new Santa Clarita office on Tuesday, February 20 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 20: New Farmers Insurance Agent Hosts Grand Opening
The Mustangs opened the second half of their 101-82 win at Westmont College on Saturday with a flurry of steals and blocks and buckets, which helped TMU claim at least a share of the first GSAC title in program history.
Mustangs Claim Share of 1st GSAC Title in Program History
CSUN's fifth annual Maurice Amado Foundation Lecture in Jewish Ethics will feature respected scholar Aaron J. Hahn Tapper, who will examine issues surrounding reconciliation and forgiveness in his talk at Valley Beth Shalom Synagogue in Encino on Wednesday, March 14 starting at 7:30 p.m.
March 14: CSUN Amado Lecture to Explore Forgiving the Unforgivable
A federal grand jury on Friday indicted a 32-year-old Texas man accused of carrying out a five-day, 2 million-email attack on the Los Angeles County Superior Courts computer system in July 2017.
Feds Indict Texas Man in LA County Court Email Hack
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will host live Oscars viewing parties in New York and London for its members and invited film industry guests on Oscar Sunday, March 4.
March 4: Academy to Celebrate Oscar Night in New York, London
College of the Canyons' baseball team beat Chaffey College 12-9 in a wild game on Saturday when the home team scored eight runs in the 7th to gain the win and improve to 7-4.
College of the Canyons Outruns Chaffey College 12-9
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee meeting at the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge includes a meet-and-greet with 25th District Congressional candidate Michael Masterman-Smith on Wednesday, February 21, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Feb. 21: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
"NCIS" producer-writer Scott Williams has been added to the lineup of speakers at the 2018 Economic Outlook Conference hosted by the SCV Economic Development Corporation and COC at TPC Valencia on March 8 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
March 8: ‘NCIS’ Producer Joins 2018 SCV Economic Outlook Panel
The William S. Hart Union High School District's Career & College Readiness Department is celebrating Career Education Month in February by providing students a variety of pathways to success.
Hart District Celebrates Career Education Month
Arroyo Seco Junior High School and Saugus High School have partnered to introduce Career Pathways to students, with automotive technology the focus of the next panel on Friday, February 23.
Arroyo Seco, Saugus High Team for Career Pathways Panels
Los Angeles County's Interim Health Officer has issued a Cold Weather Alert for the Santa Clarita Valley through Wednesday night due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for wind chill temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cold Weather Alert Chills SCV Through Wednesday
1955 - Actor and nightclub owner Ace Cain incorporates the Rocky Springs Country Club in Sand Canyon [story]
1949 - Short-lived oil drilling operation on Newhall's Arcadia Street ends [story]
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, February 20, starting at 1 p.m.
Feb. 20: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Little, Brown Books recently published CalArts alum Vashti Harrison's (Film/Video MFA 14) debut illustrated book, "Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History."
Vashti Harrison Talks ‘Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History’
UCLA's Hammer Museum has announced the 32 artists including six CalArts alumni who will participate in "Made in L.A. 2018," the fourth edition of the museum's biennial exhibition, which runs June 3 to Sept. 2 at the Westwood museum.
6 CalArtians Among Artists Selected for ‘Made in L.A. 2018’
The Isaura String Quartet will present an evening of music by CalArtians at Human Resources LA in Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, February 18 starting at 8 p.m.
Feb. 18: Isaura String Quartet to Perform at Human Resources LA
Two films directed by alumni of California Institute of the Arts' legendary Character Animation program, "Coco" and "The Boss Baby," are nominated for "Best Animated Feature" Academy Awards.
Oscar Buzz: Will 2018 Bring Oscar No. 11 to a CalArts Animator?
Crime Prevention deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station, assisted by Crime Impact Team deputies, conducted checks on probationers at six different locations on Thursday but made no arrests.
SCV Deputies’ Latest Probation Check Nets No Arrests
Artist Bob Hernandez will give a charcoal/pastel inspirational talk at the Monday, Feb. 19 meeting of the Santa Clarita Artists Association at Barnes & Noble in Valencia starting at 6:30 p.m.
Feb. 19: Bob Hernandez Charcoal, Pastel Demo at Barnes and Noble
U.S. Air Force Airman Taylor M. Lingscheit has graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
West Ranch Alum Taylor Lingscheit Graduates USAF Basic Training
The city of Santa Clarita, County Supervisor Kathryn Barger, the Hart District and the Los Angeles Conservation Corps celebrated the growth and continued success of the school district’s recycling program with a media event at Valencia High School Thursday.
Santa Clarita, LA County Celebrate School Recycling Push
The Master's University women's basketball team hopes it finds its offensive mojo by Saturday evening when it takes on No. 4 Westmont College in Santa Barbara.
Master’s Seeks Offensive Mojo Ahead of Westmont Showdown
The Master's College Mustangs men's basketball team (25-1) can lock in at least a share of the program's first-ever GSAC regular-season title with a win at No. 8 Westmont College on Saturday.
Mustangs Could Clinch GSAC Title Saturday in Santa Barbara
College of the Canyons' baseball team tasted both victory and defeat on Wednesday, dropping a 6-5 extra innings decision to Cerritos College in a make-up game and following with a 4-3 win in the regularly scheduled contest.
Cougars Hold On for 4-3 Win Over Cerritos College
With a hard-fought 81-77 victory over visiting Bakersfield College on Wednesday night in the Cougar Cage, College of the Canyons' men's basketball team moved into the conference top spot one win away from winning a conference championship.
Cougars Claw Bakersfield 81-77, Move Into Conference Top Spot
College of the Canyons women's basketball team won its eighth straight game Wednesday night in the Cougar Cage, knocking off conference rival Bakersfield College 88-60 and clinching at least a share of WSC South Division championship.
COC Women’s Hoops Team Wins 8th Straight, Share of WSC Title
The Los Angeles County Community Development Commission has earmarked $1.5 million in Affordable Housing Trust Funds for construction and financing of Six Four Nine Lofts, a supportive housing development for homeless military veterans and special-needs households on L.A.'s Skid Row.
LA County, City Team to House Homeless Veterans, Special Needs Households
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station, the city of Santa Clarita and Valencia High School officials will partner to bring the “Every 15 Minutes” program to the school on Tuesday, February 20.
Feb. 20: ‘Every 15 Minutes’ Clocks in at Valencia High School