Clear
Clear

December 12
1891 - Actor Buck Jones, a Placerita and Vasquez "regular," born in Indiana [story]

Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Thursday, Sep 21, 2017

Next time I’m in California, I think I’m going to decide which laws I want to follow. Since so few seem to adhere to the speed limit anyway, I think I will follow those laws – but I don’t think I will follow laws concerning private property.

I could take the shortcuts overland with my truck. Hey, if I wanted to drive up Pico Canyon, I’m sure my four-wheel drive would get me over the creek and onto the road past the gates at Mentryville. It is state property, but I will, in my defense, use the sanctuary clause now used by California: I don’t have to obey the law if I feel it is unfair or I don’t like the politicians now in office.

If I get a traffic ticket in Fillmore – a noted speed trap, as many of you know – I’ll refuse to pay the fine and declare that Santa Clarita is my sanctuary and Fillmore can’t come and get me.

Really, that is what is being used in defense of non-citizens of the United States, so why can’t I use it, too? Since when does a citizen have fewer rights than a non-citizen?

OK, the odds of me being in California are growing slimmer every day. Before anyone says it, I will: I don’t think you want me there any longer. I’m just so sorry about what is happening to the state of California. The state of my birth. The state I still love but can’t live in.

Now that the formerly great state of California is a sanctuary, I’ve got to compare that action with the actions in the early 1860s of the states of North and South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Yes, the Confederate States of America. They decided what laws they wanted to follow and what ones they didn’t. That action didn’t turn out too well for them at all. I think that is a valid comparison.

There are counties in northern California and southern Oregon that want to break away from their states and form a new state to be called Jefferson. The same thing happened in the 1860s. Certain western counties of Virginia broke away and became West Virginia. They did it legally.

More than 600,000 men on both sides of the Civil War died. Half of them were fighting to keep the states united. The Northern states fought for the Union. When some states decide that the laws of the union don’t apply to them, the Union is once again in danger.

I’ve just spent more than two months in the Commonwealth of Virginia. On the trip there and back, I can’t tell you how many folks talked about California. Texans “like” all of the new citizens from California, as do many of the folks in the other states along our travels. We met many folks from many states while we were camp hosts at First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, Va. Nearly all get a good laugh at California. I used to defend California. I can’t do that now.

I can’t defend actions of the political leaders of California who seek to divide the state from all of the other states. I can’t defend actions that increase taxes and also allow dangerous felons to be released from prison and commit violent crimes again.

Some of the biggest laughs I heard were about the stupid things the state is doing. Just to list a few, here they are:

1. Cow flatulence control. Keeping cows from farting seems to be so very important to control climate change. I guess they never heard about the millions of American bison that roamed the Midwest at one time.

2. The high-speed train. Just what is it needed for when the highways are in such a bad condition?

3. Gasoline taxes. Is it a race to see what state will have the highest gas tax?

4. Sanctuary state law.

5. Voting of non-citizens. Get registered to vote when you get your license. Must have some great controls.

6. Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters. In some places just saying those two names brought laughs followed by words that can’t be published here. Former Californians would add Jerry Brown.

For me, this is all so sad. I love the beaches, mountains, valleys and deserts of California. I love the history, too. I grew up in part of that history. Today I am ashamed. I’m ashamed that my home state has no home for me. I’m ashamed even to say I’m a native Californian.

I do understand now why folks say “I’m sorry” when I tell them where I was born and raised. What happened?

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley for a spell. Now he hangs his cowboy hat in Arizona. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com. His older commentaries are archived at DManzer.com; his newer commentaries can be accessed [here]. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. “What Happened?” — Darryl you obviously need to read Hillary’s new fictional account and ask her. She and all those “experts” in Sacramental now a lot (both Demonrat and Republacrat).

2. We hate the idea of a sanctuary state, city, etc. The politicians definitely don’t speak for all of California’s citizens. This sanctuary crap makes me want to puke!!!!!

3. Abigail says:

That is one of the biggest conversations we have going on in our family now. When and how to get out of California. We are not sure where we are going but we have come to terms with we need out. It is sad that we have become a joke to this nation. It is sad this country has become a joke to most other countries. I don’t agree with much going on in Washington DC, but I don’t agree with turning your back on your country more.

4. Dont believe it will happen. Too much money in this state. And they will leave too.

5. Jack Murphy Jack Murphy says:

Great piece Darryl. Good job my brother

6. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sad I feel exactly the same 😩

7. Dave Rickmers says:

Ask those new Texans how they are enjoying
    the weather! Taxes on food and medicine?
    Religious crazies in positions of power add
    just the right amount of uncertainty.

Never again.

8. Abigail DeSesa says:

9. Do you people at SCTV go out of your way to find assholes to write these opinion pieces?

10. SCgal says:

Good riddance

11. cBrow says:

California has many issues, however something is being done right. There are plenty of jobs(if you go to school and forge a path in the right career). The homes are expensive, however people can afford them, at least the ones that are willing to put in what it takes.

12. dennis says:

I didn’t sign up for this libtard democratic corrupted out of touch and greed driven policys.That people like Maxine waters lives in a ten millon dollar home on a 100 thousand dollar salary we know shes corrupted and so far out of touch.Jerry brown is the most corrupt people forget what he did back in his last term the only reason he was reelected is because of all the non citizens voted him in because they were not here to see this coruppt peice of crap in action.These people sould be in jail and you and the libtard democrats know it so spare me the bulls### we know the truth and we know these people violate there oaths of office on a daily basis.We need to take these public coruppt officials and hold there feet to the fire or this crap will never stop.It will only get worse.Why do you think they dont like Trump because he knows there game and hes a threat to there coruppt criminal syndicate.And if you think im not speaking the truth fact check what im saying you libtard trolls out there.Im sick and tired of this crap TURN OF THE DAM TV AND GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND LEARN THE FACTS SO WE CAN MAKE THIS A BETTER PLACE FOR OUR CHILDREN!!!If you dont then you can blame your self when its to late!!!Wake up for Gods sake.

13. Nadiya Littlewarrior says:

……just stay in Arizona. Where they shoot their US Reps and treat American Indians like the dirt on their shoes!

14. Lee says:

And yet despite all of the derision, vitriol and hate, it seems that quite a few people want to move to California (besides illegal aliens, that is), which is why housing prices are sky high. I just read a news article about how many Republicans are finally beginning to acknowledge Climate change, and anyone who reads the news should already know that our birth rate is shrinking, as is most of the Western world, which is why social security and Medicare are in danger of failing, because less people are paying the taxes for the Boomer generation’s retirement. So where do we get the additional people from? (hint; it won’t be from Europe). I am no fan of illegal aliens, and don’t like my government making the entire state a “sanctuary state,” but since the progressive states in this country have often proved to be not only progressive, but also right about emerging issues, I will reserve my judgement. Frankly, it sounds like Darryl Manzer has acclimated to Arizona extremely well.

15. Hi Darryl, As the saying goes “You can’t go Home” is so trure. Home is no longer there. The last time I was in “Newhall” was in the 70’s and home was gone then. So sad. I live in Florida now and see the some thing happening here over the past 30 yr’s. Glad I am in the winter of my life, but feel for the kids and grandkids. Hope they can some how have the good memories that we have of our early years. Sheron

16. jim says:

Darryl,

If you think that California is the only place you don’t want to be, I suspect you are mistaken.

We’re close enough in age that we share a lot of life experiences, although since I drew the long straw in the draft for VietNam, that is one we don’t share.

You are right about many things in your article; but if you think that the latest generation (aka constantly on-line, unable to drive with any skill, unable to live without constant digital input) are different elsewhere you are mistaken.

As for the Liberace’s running Cali’s government, that’s no surprise. This state has been headed that way for a long time. In addition, the cost of living here would make your naval pension seem like a pittance. I don’t believe that is the way it should be. Your pension (and others) for your service should be worth a livable retirement wherever you choose to live. The same should go for your VA healthcare.

But that is not the way things are set up. And they aren’t going to change in Washington or here in California. Not unless the Peeps shut up, stand up and pay attention to what’s going on.

And in case you hadn’t noticed, even if they do: there is nobody listening – or doing anything about it.

• Abigail DeSesa says:

Jim – I agree with your assessment and I will add that none of the Peeps will ever stand up because none of them have to ever live by these retirements and medical services.

• Mike says:

Hard to believe libs have such control of this state…above the law…all is true…thanks to all the unionization of public jobs..you could say the mob is alive and well…i wish our federal govt would start sueing this state, revoke charter, something to lay waste to jerry brown and mooks.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Derelict since the 1994 earthquake, the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall was the first productive oil refinery in the American West and is believed to be the oldest existing refinery in the world today. Unfunded restoration plans have come and gone. Now that the surrounding property is under development, will the promises be kept?
Friday, Dec 8, 2017
A National Memorial designation for St. Francis Dam will honor those who lost their lives in the nation’s worst engineering disaster and the role it played in ushering in a new era of oversight for dam construction.
Thursday, Dec 7, 2017
Eliminating net neutrality would allow Internet service providers such as Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum and AT&T to create a “slow lane” and a “fast lane” on the Internet, prioritizing certain companies over others and dictating what websites you’re able to visit and at what speed, or even blocking you entirely from visiting certain websites of your choice.
Monday, Dec 4, 2017
In his monthly message for December 2017, Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin encourages residents to shop and party locally during the holidays to keep the cash in our community.
Friday, Dec 1, 2017
The big day is almost upon us and a year of celebrations is wrapping up. On December 15, 2017 our city will officially be 30 years old.
Thursday, Nov 30, 2017
Create and decorate your own holiday wreaths, centerpieces, candles and ornaments using a large assortment of fresh-cut greenery, pine cones and other beautiful natural treasures this weekend at the Placerita Canyon Nature Center.

'The Shape of Water' and 'Big Little Lies' top the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's 75th Golden Globes nominations announced Monday morning in Beverly Hills.
‘Shape of Water,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ Top 75th Golden Globes Nominations
Baxter the cat-napped kitten has been returned safely to the Shelter Hope Pet Shop at Valencia Town Center Mall.
Cat-Napped Kitten Returned Safely to Shelter Hope
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the SCV Sheriff's Station has sent out an all-points bulletin about a male kitten stolen from his cage at the Shelter Hope Pet Shop. Plus, some holiday cheer comes to Carousel Ranch. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, December 11, 2017
The next Castaic Lake Water Agency's Water Resources Committee meeting is Tuesday, December 12 at 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 12: CLWA Water Resources Committee Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold two special meetings, as well as its regular meeting on Tuesday, December 12, at 4:30 p.m., 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. respectively.
Dec. 12: City Council Special, Regular Meetings
The next regular organizational meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, December 13 at 7 p.m.
Dec. 13: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
Castaic School Board members held their annual organizational meeting on December 7 and elected officers and representatives of the board for 2018.
Castaic Union School District Names 2018 Officers, Reps
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has released findings from an 18-month survey of arts education in K-12 public schools.
County Arts Commission Unveils Findings from K-12 Arts Ed Profile
The Thomas Fire burning in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties has now consumed 230,500 acres, according to Ventura County Fire Department officials Monday morning, up from 170,000 a day earlier.
Thomas Fire Explodes to 230,500 Acres, 15 Percent Contained
Bank of Hope has given California State University, Northridge $20,000 to help expand the university’s VITA income tax preparation assistance program for low-income families and individuals during the 2018 tax season.
CSUN Receives $2K Grant for VITA Income Tax Prep Clinic
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards.
10 Live Action Shorts Advance in 2017 Oscar Race
The city of Santa Clarita is accepting submissions from local photographers for its Winter 2017 Photo Contest through December 31.
Dec. 31: City Winter Photo Contest Entry Deadline
The county and city of Los Angeles have activated the 211 LA County Disaster Hotline for residents to report damage caused by the December 2017 Creek, Rye and Skirball Fires in Los Angeles.
County, City of L.A. Fire Up 2-1-1 Disaster Hotline
The California Department of Motor Vehicles will provide limited services for victims of Los Angeles and Ventura wildfires at two assistance centers starting Tuesday.
DMV to Provide Services at 2 Fire Assistance Centers
The city of Santa Clarita invites residents to join in for a night of dancing at community holiday dances on in Newhall on Friday night and Canyon Country on Saturday night.
Dec. 15, 16: Holiday Dances at Canyon Country, Newhall Community Centers
The county and city of Los Angeles will open a local assistance center for victims of the recent wildfires on Tuesday, December 12 that will operate daily through Saturday, December 16.
Assistance Center for LA Wildfire Victims Opens Tuesday
Hannah Ostrom scored a career-high 25 points and The Master's University women's basketball team overcame some nine-day rust to beat CalTech 87-58 Saturday afternoon in Pasadena.
TMU’s Hannah Ostrom Too Much for CalTech
The Master’s University men's basketball team's 126-70 win over visiting Westcliff University on Friday was the Mustangs' eighth straight win.
Mustangs Roll Past Westcliff 126-70 for 8th Straight Win
College of the Canyons sophomore soccer player Angel Quintero has been named the Western State Conference East Division Player of the Year to lead a class of 12 Cougars earning postseason awards.
Angel Quintero Among a Dozen COC Athletes to Earn All-WSC Status
College of the Canyons sophomore soccer forward Aaron Winsick has been named the Western State Conference South Division co-Player of the Year with a combined eight Cougars named to the all-conference squad.
COC’s Winsick Named Co-Player of the Year, 8 Cougars Win All-WSC Honors
The city of Santa Clarita’s Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program has a special discount available now for streetlight pole banners purchased as holiday gifts to honor actively serving military members from the Santa Clarita Valley. Banners can be purchased by individuals or organizations.
Hometown Heroes Military Banners Available as Holiday Gifts
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station crime prevention deputies have received reports of theft in which wallets are stolen from the purses of women shoppers.
When Shopping, Beware of Pocketbook Thieves
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has been awarded a $1,845,385 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety for a year-long program of special enforcement and public awareness efforts
Sheriff’s Department Wins $1.8M Grant for Traffic Enforcement Program
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 24-year-old man and his 20-year-old companion, both from Saugus, on multiple charges early Friday.
SCV Deputies Book Saugus Couple on Drug, Firearm and Other Charges
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has provided the public safety report for Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) for November 27 to December 3, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Theft by Access Card, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
1975 - Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society incorporates as a 501c3 nonprofit [Heritage Junction]
The National Weather Service has extended its Red Flag Warning of extreme fire danger for coastal and valley areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties through Monday at 8 p.m.
Fire Danger Warning Extended to Monday 8 p.m.
The Rye Fire is 93 percent contained and the Creek Fire is 95 percent contained, according to a Sunday evening update from CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Rye Fire 93 Percent Contained, Creek Fire Nearly Out
Gate-King and the Pioneer | Commentary by Leon Worden
The Thomas Fire raged in Ventura County and west into Santa Barbara County Sunday, forcing evacuations as the blaze threatened coastal communities of Carpinteria and Montecito and moved inland into the Los Padres National Forest.
Thomas Fire Threatens Coastal Ventura, Santa Barbara County
Retired Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputy and former Newhall School Board member Mike Shapiro's home in Ojai was destroyed by the Thomas fire, which broke out Monday, December 4 and has scorched 173,000 acres as of Sunday morning.
Thomas Fire Levels Ojai Home of Ex-SCV Deputy, NSD Board Member
1941 - Three days after Pearl Harbor attack, 165th and 185th Infantry Regiments assigned to Saugus; Edison power substation guarded 24/7 [timeline]
1983 - U.S. release of John Carpenter's "Christine;" blew up fake gas station in Valencia [watch scene (R)]
CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department updated residents on the status of the Rye Fire and Creek Fire, as well as evacuation locations and road closures as of Friday at 6 p.m.
Rye Fire 50 Percent Contained, Creek Fire 70 Percent Contained
A death investigation is under way at the Crescent Valley Mobile Home Park at 23500 The Old Road in Newhall, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Sgt. Chris Maurizi.
Detectives Investigating Woman’s ‘Suspicious’ Death at Mobile Home Park