Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

January 18
1899 - Martin & Richard Wood buy J.H. Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, rename it Saugus Cafe [story]

A Canyon Country woman faces enhanced charges and increased bail in the death of a mother of a mother of six who was killed in a car crash on Golden Valley Road Oct. 6, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office.

Alexia Alilah Cina, 21, now faces one felony count each of murder, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, driving under the influence of an alcoholic beverage causing injury and driving with a .08 percent blood alcohol content causing injury.

Case PA089771 includes allegations that Cina inflicted great bodily injury upon the victim, Katie Snyder Evans, 37.

Cina’s arraignment was Friday in Department S of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando Branch.

On Oct. 6, the defendant was allegedly driving southbound on Golden Valley Road at a high rate of speed when she hit the center median and crashed into Evans’ vehicle on the northbound side of the road, prosecutors said.

Bail is scheduled at $2.1 million. If convicted as charged, Cina faces a possible maximum sentence of 18 years to life in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Santa Clarita Valley Station.

1. Is this because she had a prior DUI?

2. Good! That poor family.. 😢

3. Well, I feel sorry for everyone. She did something grossly negligent that left a family devastated. She deserves to pay for what she did. But I feel sorry for her too. Her family basically loses a daughter and her life is wrecked because dinking was more important than the safety of herself and others – a mistake I am certain will haunt her for the rest of her life. Just tragic all the way around.

4. Give her the maximum sentence and I wish I was on jury duty in her case

5. 18 years isn’t enough! Life in prison! She took a life!!! Gone forever! A mother of 6!!!!

6. Jimmy Grise Jimmy Grise says:

Gotta start practicing those shank making skills.

7. Erwin Blanco Erwin Blanco says:

GOOD!!!!!!!! THERE’S NO REASON AND EXCUSES, DRIVE AND DRUNK IT’S A KILLER PERSON!!!!!!

8. Jina Younan-youpania Lazar they upped her charges

9. This stupid B***H killed a Mommy of 6!!! Now 6 kids will live a life without there mom because of some stupid 21 year old who was out drunk driving! Almost 3x Over the limit! The mom was on her way home form the hospital visiting her twins babies who are in the hospital! Smh there is Uber Lyft scv car service! -.- #dontdrinkanddrive and she only get 18 years!

10. Some of you people sound terrible god forbid your child ever make a terrible mistake. I feel bad for both sides. Terrible situation.

11. Anita says:

Thank you Ken, I’m saddened by the hate in others

12. Tony Dinardo Tony Dinardo says:

Prayers for all involved! Sad situation! Scary that smoking pot is now legal! This will only add to these sad issues!

13. She showed no remorse for her actions in the loss of the womans life. To hell with her. Rot in jail.

14. Rating for both women. This is so sad. Jesus is a God of second chances. This young woman will hopefully have a deep heart change and be a new person in Christ.

15. Marlene Link Marlene Link says:

This whole situation is just heartbreaking.

16. Bri Michelle Bri Michelle says:

Good!!!!! She’s beyond selfish.

17. The bail it not is not high enough. No excuse for what she did!!!

18. My heart breaks for all those involved.

19. Dan says:

Stay off SCV roads at night, especially on weekends. There are so many drunk drivers in this valley. This particular case is absolute heart-breaking. There are pitiful few cops…they make practically no presence at all. We need more cop cars on the streets, especially during drinking hours. Someone once told me that sometimes there are only seven cop cars on SCV streets. I don’t know if that’s true, but it equates to only one cop car per 30 thousand people in a very large area. A lot of drunks are more worried about being caught than the punishments they’ll receive.

20. James Perry James Perry says:

I do realize this is a terrible thing but nobody is questioning why she was ejected out of the vehicle which usually means no seatbelt was on there hasn’t been a mention of that referring to the deceased if she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt she’s partly to blame for her own death because seat belts do save lives

• She was ejected from the impact the force was so hard it ejected her she had her seatbelt on . If your car is hit hard enough you can be ejected with a seatbelt on .

• She did have her seat belt on. Thank you Josie.

• She was ejected because the force of the crash nearly ripped the car in half. No matter what she’s not “partly to blame” when a POS drunk driver ripped her life from her. Jeezus, always somebody wants to blame the victim.

• I had read that she was ejected because she was not wearing her seatbelt due to the surgery she had giving birth to her twin girls. A c-section and it was painful for her wear the seatbelt. I didn’t see her car split in half. I do get why (if what I read was true) she wasn’t wearing it. It does not excuse the DUI driver though. This whole thing is just so awful.

• I didn’t say it was ripped in half, I said nearly. She hit her hard enough, head -on, to nearly rip it in half (from the original police report)and ejected her from the car. Somebody, somewhere, on a thread surmised she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt due to the surgery but the babies were 8 wks old and that simply isn’t true. She had a seatbelt on. The husband is my brothers boss and its a truly horrific tragedy and these babies no longer have a mother because somebody CHOSE to drink and drive.

• If she didn’t have her seatbelt on it would be bc of the c-section. But you are usually cleared to drive at 8 weeks post Op.
      Regardless, that accident would have killed her no matter what.

• Kim Hoag Rock , I heard the same thing regarding the seat belt. No way is the victim responsible for her own death regardless. The girl who hit her had open containers in her car so this was not a one time mistake in my mind.

21. Laurel Garcia says:

I get what she did was wrong but watch your comments. That is someones kid. You have no idea how her parents feel about this situation. What they feel for her daughter and the victims family. Drinking and driving dont only affect the young people its all over the scv valley. This situation isn’t the only tradegy. We had one where I live too. It was bad.

22. Against the norm, my heart goes out to her as well as Katie’s family. This is a sad situation for all parties. 💔

23. Mike Weaver Mike Weaver says:

Death penalty that’s all I can say.

24. Praying she gets life in prison with no chance of ever getting out.

25. My nephew was killed by a drunk driver when he was 27 years old. When the driver got out of prison after serving less than three years ( another person died too the same time he hit my nephew) he was seen in a bar celebrating his release. I feel she will have remorse for her time away, for her loss of college, marriage etc but will she really think about those 6 little kids who are now Motherless due to her selfishness to drive instead of calling for a ride.

26. John Whitlaw John Whitlaw says:

Lock her up for 30 yrs

27. Enough, leave the families alone.

28. Hey a mistake is putting your cell phone in the washer and dryer. Selfishness is believing that your getting behind the wheel after drinking excessively, will not result in anything bad happening.

29. This story still breaks my heart 💔 for those 6 little kids without a mom.

30. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Usually, they up it to murder, because you have a prior DUI. I wonder if this is the case….. 🤔

31. Women in prison are gonna love her ;-)

32. Terrible mistake?? She’s a murderer

33. Choice and Accountability.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

Yes it’s very sad. I feel for both families. Prayers going out to both families.

35. So many lives are affected. I pray for all involved, it can’t be easy.

36. Freddy Felix Freddy Felix says:

If si had priors put a needle in her and call it day.

37. Prayers for all involved very sad 🙏🏻😪

38. Teresa M. says:

I never post on social media but given all these comments: please read what the husband wrote DAYS after losing his precious wife. If he can see through the hatred, whilst grieving, some of you should follow his lead. It is a good, loving , sad read. Please read it. Thank you and god bless both these families. Katie wanted the world to be a better place and it starts with all of us right this very minute…

39. 18 years to life for murder?

40. You can usually look up to see priors, right?
    Either way, once is one time too many.

• I don’t believe she had priors but she had s drinking problem that was a concern of her friends and family. She only bought 2 drinks at Schooners that night one for her one for her friend. Receipts show that. The owner was interviewed on local radio. She must have been drinking in her car, hence the open containers.

• That’s definitely a problem. 3x the limit. And that was after the accident, after emt took her to hospital and got a blood sample.

41. Everything about this is wrong. A young girl making a terrible choice that has affected her life and the life of 6 children and so many others in such a tragic way. Let’s remember what the her husband/father of her children have said. Let’s rise up as a community to help this family in need.

42. Who writes these articles? Blood alcohol level was .21 not .08. SMH

43. ❤️🙏 to all involved.

44. All these folks saying “good” and “she deserves it” have seen someone drive inebriated or done it themselves. Just think hard and be honest and you will think of at least one time. It is a fact of life that no celebration can happen in this country without wreckless consumption of alcohol and stupid people driving drunk. I don’t understand this myself why people can’t do anything without alcohol being involved. So yeah, as tragic as this is, it will keep happening as long as alcohol is glamorized and easily available. There is so much responsibility to go around here from parents, to friends, to whoever was serving her drinks and then watched her drive away. It’s tragic in every way but it will keep happening over and over and over again. So sad for those affected.

45. Ew.. you all have some filthy mouths.. god bless all of u brothers and sisters

46. She will have to live with the guilt of taking a life of a mother of 6. If she had a conscience, then this would be something to think about as she sits in prison for a couple of decades.

Long ago People from my generation had it drilled in our heads that drinking and driving do not mix. Because back in those days too many accidents and fatalities caused by drinking and driving was going on. We listened and for a while it seemed that drunk drivers were decreasing. But some 25 years later a new generation isn’t being told that drinking and driving is a bad idea. Yeah there are PSAs everywhere but not as much as we heard in the 80s and 90s.

• dennis says:

HERES A GOOD IDEA PRAY FOR ALL INVOLVED AND MIND YOUR OWN DAM BUSINESS.THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE WHY THIS COUNTRY IS A REPUBLIC AND NOT A DEMOCRACY.EVERY ONE MAKES MISTAKES EVERY ONE.THATS WHAT HUMANS DO.PUTTING THE GIRL IN PRISON FOR MURDER.IS RIDICULOUS BECAUSE ITS NOT A PREMEDITATED ACT.ITS MANSLAUGHTER!!!

47. Sandy Moody Sandy Moody says:

When did it go from .21 to .08?

48. Clarice L Griffith says:

She made an unfortunate choice to drink and drive like many people do. CALL SOMEONE! A prior? 18 years to life… If she gets 18 years, she will be out in 9 with good behavior. It is very sad for a family who now faces no mother. It is also sad that young people have to learn the hard way. No doubt she an alcoholic family member… BTW, how many times have we driven a car being very tired? Our reactions are no different than a drunk… Be safe out there people other lives depend on us.

49. Jim Lupold Jim Lupold says:

A mistake? Did you bump your head?
    A mistake is forgetting to turn off the sprinklers, or entering the wrong answer on a test.
    This is far beyond a mistake.

50. Portia Boord says:

Keep her in prison until those babies get their mother back!

51. Helene McElmurray says:

I have been haunted since this horrific tragedy happened. I can’t bear to think about it and yet I find myself coming back to news updates over and over and feeling that sick feeling. This family’s loss is beyond unimaginable. The young women’s arrogant decision to drink and drive is beyond hubris. However, as I’ve read the many comments, I’m struck by another tragedy; people’s inability/unwillingness to see the trickle-down impact on ALL sides of this horrendous event, with compassion for the entire picture.

Surely this young woman needs to pay dearly for the choice she made. No matter what price she pays she can’t give back a life taken or the loss of a spouse and mother. She can’t possibly begin to pay for the breadth of the impact her actions have caused. In my mind her jail time will be nothing compared with the mental anguish she’ll suffer the rest of her life if she has any values. However, as a mother myself, I can’t help but think how I would feel if one of my sons were responsible for this. The fact that some of the comments acknowledge that the scope of this loss will be felt on both sides does not negate their acknowledgement of Ms. Cina’s crime and the unspeakable pain it has caused this family. They’re also simply seeing the big picture where the pain will rain down on both families and they are expressing empathy for everyone who will be impacted. I don’t think it’s a contest of whose pain is more justifiable or bigger. The husband’s interview which was referenced in the comments mentions his focus on forgiveness and moving forward, and just as importantly, “finding a way to make the world a better place”. Empathy without judgment seems a good place to start.

As we all struggle with the particularly horrendous circumstances of this tragedy, may I suggest that we not let our anger cause us to forget that there are more victims (friends, extended family, etc.) then we may realize and that their pain is not for our judgment. Yes, the Evans family tragedy is hard to wrap our minds around, but it’s a good thing when others have the capacity to feel empathy for everyone (e.g. including the Cima family) who have felt the impact.

52. First, the reporting is lousy. Did she kill the mother of a mother of six or a mother of six?

Secondly, there will probably be a plea deal.

53. David Cheek David Cheek says:

Sad ! But gotta pay the piper .. Saddest is 6 kids with only memories of Mom 😢

54. Ginger MacDonald says:

This happened about 10 years ago a COC football player had an injury and the local school had children running on the sidewalk. His foot slipped, he ran over a 9 year old and killed her. His punishment was to go to schools and tell of what can happen if you make a wrong choice. This was horrific, I talked to the family, they were compassionate, I was not. We had miles of trails, no children ever needed to be running on the sidewalk for school. Today he would be facing Murder ….

55. lu madar says:

Thank you Teresa for reminding us that the husband, father of 6 now motherless children, even in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy emphasized not hating the driver, a young woman who did something very stupid but didn’t intend to kill anyone, but doing what he could to help heal his family and making the world a better place. That’s what struck me when I first read about this.
    And the generosity of people who I read raised about $300,000 for the family as of over a week ago…

It’s sad to read so much hate for the driver, speculation that she’s heartless and without remorse and so on — she’s probably in shock. And for a 21-year old, 18 years to life in jail is her whole youth, for those stupid drinks she may never have children herself, get married or ever by “normal,” the shock of that for herself and family has to be enormous.
    Yes she should reach out to apologize to the husband and family and hopefully she will when she recovers from the shock, maybe she’s afraid to face him, but he sounds like he would welcome that encounter, the closure.

BTW everyone’s life has equal value, so although leaving 6 children including 2 6-week old preemies (she was driving home from the hospital after visiting them, that’s why she was out so late), is one of the most heart-breaking things I’ve ever heard, even if she had no children and were 65 it would be the same: one life doesn’t matter more than another.

56. lu madar says:

Yes, this is the time and place to publicize the service that will drive people AND their cars home if they have been drinking: editors pls. post the info.
    – And people especially smaller women should never assume they’re “OK to drive” after even 2 drinks (one for some), tolerance varies by size for example.
    One drink (2 ozs. liquor or one beer or 6 ozs. of wine) per hour, with water and food, is the MOST avg. sized people can absorb without being dangerous.

57. Mike Evans says:

I am Katie Evans brother-in-law. Clearly I have myriad emotions swirling around while reading all this. But this is my personal take.

I am confident that Ms. Cina did not begin her evening intending to kill anyone. Through selfish and thoughtless decisions she ended a life. My brother and family are determined not to let the list of lives destroyed grow to include his name nor the names of my nephews and little nieces. Do not wish to see Ms. Cina’s life destroyed either. Please, let’s try to limit the casualty list to one.

We will, all of us, be dealing with the consequences of that night for many years to come. But the lessons we learn from the struggles ahead, whether they break us or push us to strength we didn’t know we had, are completely up to each of us.

• Meg Stout says:

Hi Mike,

Good to see someone here who knows about Katie and what is going on with Jacob and the kids. Always interesting to see how opinions can run riot – the more they opinion is free of facts and personal knowledge, the more riot they seem to run.

My heart aches for Katie, her family, and all those who loved her. My heart also aches for Ms. Cina and her family.

Perhaps a good that could come from this (given things like Uber and Lyft) is an exit test for establishments that serve liquor. This would only help if the person who is intoxicated was at an actual bar or restaurant, but it wouldn’t hurt moving the presumption from “It’s my right to be irresponsible” to “Society has a right to keep innocent individuals safe.”

Thursday, Jan 18, 2018
Cold Weather Alert Issued for SCV
LOS ANGELES – The County Interim Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
Thursday, Jan 18, 2018
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Saugus
Here is the Saugus (Zone 4) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Thursday, Jan 18, 2018
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Valencia
Here is the Valencia Crime Information and Public Safety report for the week of Jan. 1:

In an exciting conclusion of events, approximately 40 inmates who participated in the Education Based Incarceration program received either a high school diploma or certificate of completion for vocational training.
Largest Class of Inmates in Education Based Incarceration Program Graduates
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency (SCV Water) has selected its inaugural leadership to preside over the launch of the newly formed water provider.
SCV Water Selects Inaugural Leadership
Well V-205, located near McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd., was voluntarily removed from service in April 2012 when perchlorate was detected in low concentrations, below the Detection Level for Reporting (DLR).
Perchlorate at Out-of-Service Well Reaches Actionable Level
The Santa Clarita City Council will consider purchasing the 4,598-square-foot building Roger Dunn Golf Shop building in Newhall when the council meets next week.
City Eyeing Purchase of Roger Dunn Building
Here are the Santa Clarita arts-related events for Jan. 20 and Jan. 25:
Jan. 20, 25: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Following in the footsteps of her grandfather, dad, mom and several other family members, Erin Oxhorn-Gilpin always wanted to be a teacher.
CSUN Alumna Nabs Teacher of the Year
Legendary Band, "The Chieftains," will celebrate their 55th Anniversary with a performance at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (SCPAC), Saturday, Feb. 24, at 8:00 p.m.
Feb. 24: The Chieftains 55th Anniversary Tour
SEATTLE - Amazon reviewed 238 proposals from across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to host HQ2, the company’s second headquarters in North America.
Los Angeles on Short List of Amazon’s HQ2
The Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District Board of Directors will hold its Regular Meeting Friday at 11:30 a.m.
Jan. 19: SCV Sanitation District Regular Meeting
Kevin Young has been selected as the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) 2018 Katie Jacobson Writer-in-Residence. Young will conduct workshops with CalArts students in the MFA Creative Writing Program and present public readings, which will be held at CalArts on Feb. 15 at 7:00 p.m. and at REDCAT in Downtown Los Angeles on Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m.
The New Yorker’s Poetry Editor Selected as CalArts 2018 Writer-in-Residence
Cold Weather Alert Issued for SCV
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Valencia
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Saugus
Here is the Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) Public Safety and Crime Information Report for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Attempted Robbery, Grand Theft Auto, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
Here is the Newhall (Zone 6) Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the week of Jan. 8:
Crime Blotter: Commercial Burglary, Vehicle Burglary, Grand Theft in Newhall
The dismantling of a multi-state drug trafficking organization that used the U.S. Postal Service to mail packages of crystal methamphetamine and marijuana from California to traffickers in Pennsylvania since at least April 2016 - and the arrests of five leaders who spearheaded the corrupt organization, including two from the Santa Clarita Valley - were announced Wednesday by Montgomery County (Penn.) District Attorney Kevin R. Steele.
2 from SCV Netted in Major East Coast Drug Bust
With The Master's University's 2018 baseball season about to begin, TMU Sports Information Director Mason Nesbitt offers a preview.
TMU Previews Mustangs’ 2018 Baseball Season
Several CalArtians are among the Chicago-based United States Artists' annual fellowship class of 45 artists and collaboratives who will each receive an unrestricted $50,000 grant for their respective art practices.
CalArtians Among United States Artists’ New Fellowship Class
The TMU Mustangs' men's basketball team, on a 17-game winning streak, has moved up to No. 4 in the NAIA Division 1 Men's Basketball Coaches' Poll.
TMU Men’s Hoops Team Up to No. 4 in NAIA Coaches’ Poll
Tuesday night's 93-37 rout of St. Katherine University was more than just a non-conference tune-up for the TMU women's basketball team.
Master’s Women’s Hoops Team Shoots Down Firebirds
iLEAD Schools will honor College of the Canyons Chancellor Dr. Dianne Van Hook with its 'Vision in Education' award at the Santa Clarita Valley International School’s annual benefit dinner on March 10.
iLEAD to Honor COC’s Van Hook with 2018 ‘Vision in Education’ Award
Los Angeles County Fire Department firefighters quickly extinguished a 1/4-acre brush fire in Newhall early Wednesday afternoon.
Small Brush Fire in Newhall Quickly Doused
Los Angeles County Assessor Jeffrey Prang and the county Board of Supervisors have proclaimed January "Homeowners' Exemption Awareness Month" promote the county's property tax savings program.
County Officials:  January is ‘Homeowners’ Tax Exemption Awareness Month’
In an effort to provide support to local communities affected by the recent hurricanes in the Caribbean, and after the sell-out of the inaugural group on the January 20 Crown Princess sailing, Princess Cruises and Fathom Travel are adding two additional spring sailings in 2018.
Princess Adds More Caribbean Cruises for Spring 2018
California State University, Northridge journalism professor David Blumenkrantz documents the stories of the homeless of Los Angeles in an art exhibition titled “Street Scenes: Making the Homeless Count,” on display at the San Fernando Valley Arts and Cultural Center in Tarzana through Jan. 27.
CSUN Prof Uses Grant to Illuminate Homelessness in LA
Host College of the Canyons rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit to defeat the visiting Seahawks of Los Angeles Harbor College 96-82 on Saturday evening.
Cougars Win Third Straight with 96-82 Victory Over L.A. Harbor
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is stepping up bike and pedestrian safety enforcement operations in the Santa Clarita Valley today, officials announced this morning.
Deputies Step Up Pedestrian, Bike Safety Enforcement Today
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies checking on businesses after hours arrested two people on drug charges in separate incidents in Canyon Country on Monday and Newhall on Tuesday.
Deputies Check Businesses After Hours, Arrest 2 on Drug Charges
A Canyon Country man was killed and three people injured in a high-speed traffic collision on Golden Valley Road at Dorothy Street in the unincorporated area of the Santa Clarita Valley late Tuesday night, according to the CHP.
High-Speed Crash in SCV Leaves 1 Dead, 3 Injured
The U.S. Justice Department is appealing a court order that blocked the Trump administration from shutting down a program that shields more than 700,000 young immigrants from deportation.
Justice Dept. to Appeal Ruling That Blocked DACA Shutdown
A Los Angeles County sheriff’s officer was arrested Tuesday and charged with taking bribes 'to oversee the delivery of narcotics,' federal prosecutors said.
Dirty LA Sheriff’s Officer Busted for Drugs, FBI Says
The cost of the first phase of California’s high-speed rail project through the state’s Central Valley has soared by 35 percent to $10.6 billion, officials disclosed Tuesday.
California Bullet Train Cost Climbs by $2.8 Billion
Dozens of attorneys general including California's filed a petition Tuesday challenging the Federal Communication Commission’s recent decision to roll back net neutrality rules.
State AG’s Sue FCC to Block Net Neutrality Rollback
1994, 4:31 a.m. - Magnitude 6.7 Northridge earthquake rocks Santa Clarita Valley [video]
More than 4,000 newborns in Los Angeles, including some in the SCV, will be sporting little red caps, instead of the traditional pink or blue, as part of the American Heart Association’s Little Hats, Big Hearts program aimed at bringing attention to heart disease.
Newborns to Sport Little Red Caps as Part of AHA Campaign