Intermittent clouds
Intermittent clouds

July 18
2009 - Two killed in crash of experimental plane in Sand Canyon [NTSB report]

A Canyon Country woman faces enhanced charges and increased bail in the death of a mother of a mother of six who was killed in a car crash on Golden Valley Road Oct. 6, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office.

Alexia Alilah Cina, 21, now faces one felony count each of murder, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, driving under the influence of an alcoholic beverage causing injury and driving with a .08 percent blood alcohol content causing injury.

Case PA089771 includes allegations that Cina inflicted great bodily injury upon the victim, Katie Snyder Evans, 37.

Cina’s arraignment was Friday in Department S of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando Branch.

On Oct. 6, the defendant was allegedly driving southbound on Golden Valley Road at a high rate of speed when she hit the center median and crashed into Evans’ vehicle on the northbound side of the road, prosecutors said.

Bail is scheduled at $2.1 million. If convicted as charged, Cina faces a possible maximum sentence of 18 years to life in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Santa Clarita Valley Station.

1. Is this because she had a prior DUI?

2. Good! That poor family.. 😢

3. Well, I feel sorry for everyone. She did something grossly negligent that left a family devastated. She deserves to pay for what she did. But I feel sorry for her too. Her family basically loses a daughter and her life is wrecked because dinking was more important than the safety of herself and others – a mistake I am certain will haunt her for the rest of her life. Just tragic all the way around.

4. Give her the maximum sentence and I wish I was on jury duty in her case

5. 18 years isn’t enough! Life in prison! She took a life!!! Gone forever! A mother of 6!!!!

6. Jimmy Grise Jimmy Grise says:

Gotta start practicing those shank making skills.

7. Erwin Blanco Erwin Blanco says:

GOOD!!!!!!!! THERE’S NO REASON AND EXCUSES, DRIVE AND DRUNK IT’S A KILLER PERSON!!!!!!

8. Jina Younan-youpania Lazar they upped her charges

9. This stupid B***H killed a Mommy of 6!!! Now 6 kids will live a life without there mom because of some stupid 21 year old who was out drunk driving! Almost 3x Over the limit! The mom was on her way home form the hospital visiting her twins babies who are in the hospital! Smh there is Uber Lyft scv car service! -.- #dontdrinkanddrive and she only get 18 years!

10. Some of you people sound terrible god forbid your child ever make a terrible mistake. I feel bad for both sides. Terrible situation.

11. Anita says:

Thank you Ken, I’m saddened by the hate in others

12. Tony Dinardo Tony Dinardo says:

Prayers for all involved! Sad situation! Scary that smoking pot is now legal! This will only add to these sad issues!

13. She showed no remorse for her actions in the loss of the womans life. To hell with her. Rot in jail.

14. Rating for both women. This is so sad. Jesus is a God of second chances. This young woman will hopefully have a deep heart change and be a new person in Christ.

15. Marlene Link Marlene Link says:

This whole situation is just heartbreaking.

16. Bri Michelle Bri Michelle says:

Good!!!!! She’s beyond selfish.

17. The bail it not is not high enough. No excuse for what she did!!!

18. My heart breaks for all those involved.

19. Dan says:

Stay off SCV roads at night, especially on weekends. There are so many drunk drivers in this valley. This particular case is absolute heart-breaking. There are pitiful few cops…they make practically no presence at all. We need more cop cars on the streets, especially during drinking hours. Someone once told me that sometimes there are only seven cop cars on SCV streets. I don’t know if that’s true, but it equates to only one cop car per 30 thousand people in a very large area. A lot of drunks are more worried about being caught than the punishments they’ll receive.

20. James Perry James Perry says:

I do realize this is a terrible thing but nobody is questioning why she was ejected out of the vehicle which usually means no seatbelt was on there hasn’t been a mention of that referring to the deceased if she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt she’s partly to blame for her own death because seat belts do save lives

• She was ejected from the impact the force was so hard it ejected her she had her seatbelt on . If your car is hit hard enough you can be ejected with a seatbelt on .

• She did have her seat belt on. Thank you Josie.

• She was ejected because the force of the crash nearly ripped the car in half. No matter what she’s not “partly to blame” when a POS drunk driver ripped her life from her. Jeezus, always somebody wants to blame the victim.

• I had read that she was ejected because she was not wearing her seatbelt due to the surgery she had giving birth to her twin girls. A c-section and it was painful for her wear the seatbelt. I didn’t see her car split in half. I do get why (if what I read was true) she wasn’t wearing it. It does not excuse the DUI driver though. This whole thing is just so awful.

• I didn’t say it was ripped in half, I said nearly. She hit her hard enough, head -on, to nearly rip it in half (from the original police report)and ejected her from the car. Somebody, somewhere, on a thread surmised she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt due to the surgery but the babies were 8 wks old and that simply isn’t true. She had a seatbelt on. The husband is my brothers boss and its a truly horrific tragedy and these babies no longer have a mother because somebody CHOSE to drink and drive.

• If she didn’t have her seatbelt on it would be bc of the c-section. But you are usually cleared to drive at 8 weeks post Op.
      Regardless, that accident would have killed her no matter what.

• Kim Hoag Rock , I heard the same thing regarding the seat belt. No way is the victim responsible for her own death regardless. The girl who hit her had open containers in her car so this was not a one time mistake in my mind.

21. Laurel Garcia says:

I get what she did was wrong but watch your comments. That is someones kid. You have no idea how her parents feel about this situation. What they feel for her daughter and the victims family. Drinking and driving dont only affect the young people its all over the scv valley. This situation isn’t the only tradegy. We had one where I live too. It was bad.

22. Against the norm, my heart goes out to her as well as Katie’s family. This is a sad situation for all parties. 💔

23. Mike Weaver Mike Weaver says:

Death penalty that’s all I can say.

24. Praying she gets life in prison with no chance of ever getting out.

25. My nephew was killed by a drunk driver when he was 27 years old. When the driver got out of prison after serving less than three years ( another person died too the same time he hit my nephew) he was seen in a bar celebrating his release. I feel she will have remorse for her time away, for her loss of college, marriage etc but will she really think about those 6 little kids who are now Motherless due to her selfishness to drive instead of calling for a ride.

26. John Whitlaw John Whitlaw says:

Lock her up for 30 yrs

27. Enough, leave the families alone.

28. Hey a mistake is putting your cell phone in the washer and dryer. Selfishness is believing that your getting behind the wheel after drinking excessively, will not result in anything bad happening.

29. This story still breaks my heart 💔 for those 6 little kids without a mom.

30. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Usually, they up it to murder, because you have a prior DUI. I wonder if this is the case….. 🤔

31. Women in prison are gonna love her ;-)

32. Terrible mistake?? She’s a murderer

33. Choice and Accountability.

34. Anita Silva Anita Silva says:

Yes it’s very sad. I feel for both families. Prayers going out to both families.

35. So many lives are affected. I pray for all involved, it can’t be easy.

36. Freddy Felix Freddy Felix says:

If si had priors put a needle in her and call it day.

37. Prayers for all involved very sad 🙏🏻😪

38. Teresa M. says:

I never post on social media but given all these comments: please read what the husband wrote DAYS after losing his precious wife. If he can see through the hatred, whilst grieving, some of you should follow his lead. It is a good, loving , sad read. Please read it. Thank you and god bless both these families. Katie wanted the world to be a better place and it starts with all of us right this very minute…

39. 18 years to life for murder?

40. You can usually look up to see priors, right?
    Either way, once is one time too many.

• I don’t believe she had priors but she had s drinking problem that was a concern of her friends and family. She only bought 2 drinks at Schooners that night one for her one for her friend. Receipts show that. The owner was interviewed on local radio. She must have been drinking in her car, hence the open containers.

• That’s definitely a problem. 3x the limit. And that was after the accident, after emt took her to hospital and got a blood sample.

41. Everything about this is wrong. A young girl making a terrible choice that has affected her life and the life of 6 children and so many others in such a tragic way. Let’s remember what the her husband/father of her children have said. Let’s rise up as a community to help this family in need.

42. Who writes these articles? Blood alcohol level was .21 not .08. SMH

43. ❤️🙏 to all involved.

44. All these folks saying “good” and “she deserves it” have seen someone drive inebriated or done it themselves. Just think hard and be honest and you will think of at least one time. It is a fact of life that no celebration can happen in this country without wreckless consumption of alcohol and stupid people driving drunk. I don’t understand this myself why people can’t do anything without alcohol being involved. So yeah, as tragic as this is, it will keep happening as long as alcohol is glamorized and easily available. There is so much responsibility to go around here from parents, to friends, to whoever was serving her drinks and then watched her drive away. It’s tragic in every way but it will keep happening over and over and over again. So sad for those affected.

45. Ew.. you all have some filthy mouths.. god bless all of u brothers and sisters

46. She will have to live with the guilt of taking a life of a mother of 6. If she had a conscience, then this would be something to think about as she sits in prison for a couple of decades.

Long ago People from my generation had it drilled in our heads that drinking and driving do not mix. Because back in those days too many accidents and fatalities caused by drinking and driving was going on. We listened and for a while it seemed that drunk drivers were decreasing. But some 25 years later a new generation isn’t being told that drinking and driving is a bad idea. Yeah there are PSAs everywhere but not as much as we heard in the 80s and 90s.

• dennis says:

HERES A GOOD IDEA PRAY FOR ALL INVOLVED AND MIND YOUR OWN DAM BUSINESS.THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE WHY THIS COUNTRY IS A REPUBLIC AND NOT A DEMOCRACY.EVERY ONE MAKES MISTAKES EVERY ONE.THATS WHAT HUMANS DO.PUTTING THE GIRL IN PRISON FOR MURDER.IS RIDICULOUS BECAUSE ITS NOT A PREMEDITATED ACT.ITS MANSLAUGHTER!!!

47. Sandy Moody Sandy Moody says:

When did it go from .21 to .08?

48. Clarice L Griffith says:

She made an unfortunate choice to drink and drive like many people do. CALL SOMEONE! A prior? 18 years to life… If she gets 18 years, she will be out in 9 with good behavior. It is very sad for a family who now faces no mother. It is also sad that young people have to learn the hard way. No doubt she an alcoholic family member… BTW, how many times have we driven a car being very tired? Our reactions are no different than a drunk… Be safe out there people other lives depend on us.

49. Jim Lupold Jim Lupold says:

A mistake? Did you bump your head?
    A mistake is forgetting to turn off the sprinklers, or entering the wrong answer on a test.
    This is far beyond a mistake.

50. Portia Boord says:

Keep her in prison until those babies get their mother back!

51. Helene McElmurray says:

I have been haunted since this horrific tragedy happened. I can’t bear to think about it and yet I find myself coming back to news updates over and over and feeling that sick feeling. This family’s loss is beyond unimaginable. The young women’s arrogant decision to drink and drive is beyond hubris. However, as I’ve read the many comments, I’m struck by another tragedy; people’s inability/unwillingness to see the trickle-down impact on ALL sides of this horrendous event, with compassion for the entire picture.

Surely this young woman needs to pay dearly for the choice she made. No matter what price she pays she can’t give back a life taken or the loss of a spouse and mother. She can’t possibly begin to pay for the breadth of the impact her actions have caused. In my mind her jail time will be nothing compared with the mental anguish she’ll suffer the rest of her life if she has any values. However, as a mother myself, I can’t help but think how I would feel if one of my sons were responsible for this. The fact that some of the comments acknowledge that the scope of this loss will be felt on both sides does not negate their acknowledgement of Ms. Cina’s crime and the unspeakable pain it has caused this family. They’re also simply seeing the big picture where the pain will rain down on both families and they are expressing empathy for everyone who will be impacted. I don’t think it’s a contest of whose pain is more justifiable or bigger. The husband’s interview which was referenced in the comments mentions his focus on forgiveness and moving forward, and just as importantly, “finding a way to make the world a better place”. Empathy without judgment seems a good place to start.

As we all struggle with the particularly horrendous circumstances of this tragedy, may I suggest that we not let our anger cause us to forget that there are more victims (friends, extended family, etc.) then we may realize and that their pain is not for our judgment. Yes, the Evans family tragedy is hard to wrap our minds around, but it’s a good thing when others have the capacity to feel empathy for everyone (e.g. including the Cima family) who have felt the impact.

52. First, the reporting is lousy. Did she kill the mother of a mother of six or a mother of six?

Secondly, there will probably be a plea deal.

53. David Cheek David Cheek says:

Sad ! But gotta pay the piper .. Saddest is 6 kids with only memories of Mom 😢

54. Ginger MacDonald says:

This happened about 10 years ago a COC football player had an injury and the local school had children running on the sidewalk. His foot slipped, he ran over a 9 year old and killed her. His punishment was to go to schools and tell of what can happen if you make a wrong choice. This was horrific, I talked to the family, they were compassionate, I was not. We had miles of trails, no children ever needed to be running on the sidewalk for school. Today he would be facing Murder ….

55. lu madar says:

Thank you Teresa for reminding us that the husband, father of 6 now motherless children, even in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy emphasized not hating the driver, a young woman who did something very stupid but didn’t intend to kill anyone, but doing what he could to help heal his family and making the world a better place. That’s what struck me when I first read about this.
    And the generosity of people who I read raised about $300,000 for the family as of over a week ago…

It’s sad to read so much hate for the driver, speculation that she’s heartless and without remorse and so on — she’s probably in shock. And for a 21-year old, 18 years to life in jail is her whole youth, for those stupid drinks she may never have children herself, get married or ever by “normal,” the shock of that for herself and family has to be enormous.
    Yes she should reach out to apologize to the husband and family and hopefully she will when she recovers from the shock, maybe she’s afraid to face him, but he sounds like he would welcome that encounter, the closure.

BTW everyone’s life has equal value, so although leaving 6 children including 2 6-week old preemies (she was driving home from the hospital after visiting them, that’s why she was out so late), is one of the most heart-breaking things I’ve ever heard, even if she had no children and were 65 it would be the same: one life doesn’t matter more than another.

56. lu madar says:

Yes, this is the time and place to publicize the service that will drive people AND their cars home if they have been drinking: editors pls. post the info.
    – And people especially smaller women should never assume they’re “OK to drive” after even 2 drinks (one for some), tolerance varies by size for example.
    One drink (2 ozs. liquor or one beer or 6 ozs. of wine) per hour, with water and food, is the MOST avg. sized people can absorb without being dangerous.

57. Mike Evans says:

I am Katie Evans brother-in-law. Clearly I have myriad emotions swirling around while reading all this. But this is my personal take.

I am confident that Ms. Cina did not begin her evening intending to kill anyone. Through selfish and thoughtless decisions she ended a life. My brother and family are determined not to let the list of lives destroyed grow to include his name nor the names of my nephews and little nieces. Do not wish to see Ms. Cina’s life destroyed either. Please, let’s try to limit the casualty list to one.

We will, all of us, be dealing with the consequences of that night for many years to come. But the lessons we learn from the struggles ahead, whether they break us or push us to strength we didn’t know we had, are completely up to each of us.

• Meg Stout says:

Hi Mike,

Good to see someone here who knows about Katie and what is going on with Jacob and the kids. Always interesting to see how opinions can run riot – the more they opinion is free of facts and personal knowledge, the more riot they seem to run.

My heart aches for Katie, her family, and all those who loved her. My heart also aches for Ms. Cina and her family.

Perhaps a good that could come from this (given things like Uber and Lyft) is an exit test for establishments that serve liquor. This would only help if the person who is intoxicated was at an actual bar or restaurant, but it wouldn’t hurt moving the presumption from “It’s my right to be irresponsible” to “Society has a right to keep innocent individuals safe.”

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2018
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Wednesday, Jul 18, 2018
CHP Pursuit Ends With Arrest of Woman on I-5 in Valencia
A Spring Valley, California woman was arrested and charged for evading and resisting arrest on southbound Interstate 5 in Valencia late Tuesday night after a pursuit by the California Highway Patrol, according to the CHP.
Wednesday, Jul 18, 2018
SCV Deputies Hand Out 25 Traffic Tickets in Safety Push
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies handed out 25 traffic citations during a motorcycle safety enforcement operation in Santa Clarita on Saturday.

Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream
The Sierra Hillbillies Square & Round Dance Club will throw a good old-fashioned picnic and dance to the calls of Jay Henderson at the SCV Senior Center on Sunday, August 5 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sierra Hillbillies Set 2 Dances for August, September
CHP Pursuit Ends With Arrest of Woman on I-5 in Valencia
If you are a member of the U.S. House of Representatives with a private prison in your district, you are also more likely than your peers to co-sponsor punitive immigration legislation, according to a groundbreaking study by California State University, Northridge political science professor Jason Morin.
CSUN Study: Private Prison Operators Influencing Immigration Policy
Wealth | Wisdom | Wellness, a new quarterly magazine featuring collective wisdom on family wealth and health for families in the Santa Clarita Valley, has just published its second 2018 edition with exclusive showcase interviews of top local business owners.
New SCV Print-Online Magazine Profiles Top Local Business Owners
SCV Deputies Hand Out 25 Traffic Tickets in Safety Push
A Santa Clarita bank robbery suspect dubbed by the FBI as the "Faux Badge Bandit" is now also suspected of robbing banks in Northern California, according to authorities.
‘Faux Badge Bandit’ Also a Suspect in NoCal Bank Heists
A Ninth Circuit panel on Tuesday affirmed a federal judge’s order preliminarily barring California from enforcing a voter-approved ban on high-capacity gun magazines.
Ninth Circuit Upholds Block of California Gun Magazine Ban
The California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers customers a convenient way to complete a driver license or identification card application online before visiting a field office.
DMV Debuts Online Application for Driver License, State ID Card
2009 - Two killed in crash of experimental plane in Sand Canyon [NTSB report]
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Casts Lone Vote Against Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness
Officials at the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner have identified the body of a man who was found in a Canyon Country field Monday night.
Man Found Dead in Canyon Country
Single Mother's Outreach is currently accepting honoree nominations and artist applications through July 30.
Single Mother’s Outreach Accepting Nominees, Artist Applications
The Stay Green Inc. team has been rewarded for its excellence with eight awards — including four prestigious first-place honors — in the 59th Annual Landscape Beautification Awards presented by the San Fernando Valley Chapter of the California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA).
Stay Green Earns Four First-Place Landscape Honors
Here is the list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for July 18-20:
July 18-20: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
The city of Santa Clarita saw an increase in on-location filming in Fiscal Year 2017-2018 (July 2017 to June 2018), with the Film Office recording 560 film permits and 1377 film days, which generated an estimated $33.1 million in economic impact to the local community.
Santa Clarita Sees Increase in On-Location Filming for 5th Straight Year
Six Santa Clarita Artists Association members were accepted in the impressive La Galeria Gitana exhibit, "Around the World in 80 Paintings."
Aug. 11: Artists Association Presents, ‘Around the World in 80 Paintings’
LOS ANGELES – A former staffer for a member of the United States Congress was sentenced today to 18 months in prison for bribery and attempted extortion after demanding and accepting $5,000 to prevent the closure of a marijuana shop in the city of Compton.
Santa Clarita Man Gets 18 Months in Prison for Bribery, Attempted Extortion
1834 - Sinforosa, daughter of Narciso and Crisanta, born at Mission San Fernando; mom from Tejon, dad from Piru; believed to be last speaker of Tataviam language (died 1915) [record]
Berry Petroleum Corp., owner of the Placerita oil field west of Sierra Highway between Placerita Canyon Road and Golden Valley Road in Santa Clarita - and many other oil properties in the San Joaquin Valley - announced Monday that it has launched an initial public offering of its common stock.
Placerita Oil Field Owner Going Public Again
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting health care professionals and patients of a voluntary recall of several drug products containing the active ingredient Valsartan, used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure.
Blood Pressure Medicine Valsartan Recalled for Cancer-Causing Impurity
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is Wednesday, July 18 at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
July 18: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee, a division of the Santa Clarita City Council, will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, July 18, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
July 18: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
Since April, TMU grad Zach Klindworth has worked and trained with a soccer team in Iceland, 4,000 miles from Santa Clarita, the only city he'd ever known.
TMU Soccer Alum Zach Klindworth Takes Talents to Iceland
The Lancaster JetHawks scored a run in the seventh inning to take the lead and hung on to beat Lake Elsinore, 3-2, Sunday evening at The Hangar.
JetHawks Hang on for Sunday Win Over Storm
Lake Elsinore proved too much for the JetHawks Saturday night, handing Lancaster an 11-4 loss at The Hangar.
Lancaster JetHawks Overcome by Storm Saturday
The Lancaster JetHawks opened up a four-game series with a 6-2 win over the Lake Elsinore Storm in front of 4,348 at The Hangar Friday night to kick off Star Wars Weekend.
The Force With JetHawks in Friday Win Over Storm
Saxtravaganza, Santa Clarita's all-saxophone chamber ensemble, will play a free concert at Hart Hall (inside Hart Park) on Thursday, July 19, starting at 7 p.m.
July 19: Saxtravaganza Chamber Ensemble Returns to Hart Hall
Members of the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley will participate in the semi-annual Pinewood Derby at the Newhall Clubhouse on Wednesday, July 18 starting at 4:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Boys & Girls Club Pinewood Derby
The city of Santa Clarita's Community Preservation Division sent a notice of violation Monday to the owners of the Canyon View Mobile Home Estates property in Canyon Country, ordering the removal of multiple solar panels installed on the hillside just north of the park.
Canyon Country Mobile Home Park Cited for Hillside Solar Panels