As part of an ongoing workshop series for family caregivers, College of the Canyons and the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center will host their third caregivers workshop at the Senior Center in Newhall on Saturday, November 18, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
A panel of experts will discuss the “ABCs of Long-Term Care Options: A Primer on Assisted Living Facilities, in Home Care, Hospice, Skilled Care Facilities and Who Pays for Them” and answer questions from caregivers in attendance.
The panelists/presenters are:
· Anne Front, Palliative Care Therapist Care Coordinator at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital
· Flora Greenhill, Assisted Hospice
· Jane McNamara, Elder Law Attorney, McNamara Law Firm, PC
· Myles McNamara, President, Comfort Keepers
· Margie Vies, Executive Director at Oakmont Santa Clarita
Barbara Stearns-Cochran, co-host of the “KHTS Senior Hour,” will be the moderator.
The panel will address questions such as:
Here are the kinds questions our EXPERT panelists will address:
1) What is long-term care?
2) What types of services does long-term care provide?
3) Why do people need long-term care?
4) What is the most common type of long-term care?
5) How long does long-term care last?
6) How common is the need for long-term care among older people?
7) How can I tell if I will need long-term care?
8) Who provides long-term care in the home?
9) What kind of help can I get while I recover from surgery at home?
10) How do emergency response systems work?
11) I don’t drive anymore. How can I get to doctors’ appointments and the grocery store?
12) My mother has a disability and I care for her in my home, but I’m about to start a new job. Who will take care of her now?
13) My father’s Parkinson’s disease is getting worse, and he can no longer live at home. What kind of facility is right for him?
14) Is long-term care expensive?
15) What does “out of pocket” mean?
16) What kinds of options are available to pay for long-term care?
17) My wife needs part-time help at home. Will Medicare pay for that?
18) Doesn’t Medicare cover most long-term care costs?
19) What long-term care costs are covered by Medicaid?
20) I’m perfectly healthy. Why should I think about long-term care?
21) If I plan to stay in my own home, what support services will I need as I get older?
22) Is long-term care insurance a good option for me? I’ve heard it’s expensive.
23) What if something happens to me and I can’t talk with a health care provider to make my wishes known?
24) Who can help me create the documents I need for long-term care planning?
25) Are there professionals who can help me find the right kind of long-term care?
26) Where can I find more information about long-term care?
Register here or call 661-362-3118.