L.A. County health officials have extended a Cold Weather Alert for the Santa Clarita Valley through tonight due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures.
Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Monday’s weather in the SCV will be mostly sunny, with a high near 65, the Weather Service reports. North-northeast wind will be 10 to 15 mph with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Monday night looks mostly clear, with a low around 47. There will be north-northeast wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts as high as 30 mph.
The NWS predicts sunny weather Tuesday, with a high near 71. Northeast wind will continue at 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
The Department of Public Health’s cold weather alert also includes Antelope Valley today through Wednesday.
“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during such cold snaps,” said Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, MD, MPH, Los Angeles County Interim Health Officer.
“Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold when they are outside,” Gunzenhauser said. “There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities. We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has a Winter Shelter Program available for those who need shelter.
Locations and transportation information are online at www.lahsa.org/ces/winter-shelter or by calling the LA County Information line at 2-1-1 from any landline or cell phone. For the deaf and hard of hearing, please call the TDD line at 1-800-660-4026.
Take precautions to protect yourself from the cold:
* Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
* Protect extremities from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves and socks.
* Offer to help those in your neighborhood with limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently.
* During peak cold times, if you don’t have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers.
* If you have pets, bring them indoors and do not leave them outside overnight.
* If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home.
* Stoves, barbeques and ovens can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide when used to heat a home. Never use these appliances in place of approved heaters such as electric, natural gas, or fireplaces.
* Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.