Clear
Clear

October 23
1888 - 8:15 a.m.: Newhall's luxurious Southern Hotel burns to the ground [story]

An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on southbound Highway 14 in the Acton area Tuesday night.

Harry Nalbandyan believes his truck was targeted because he was flying Armenian flags on the back to commemorate Tuesday’s 103rd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide in Europe, he told CBS Los Angeles television reporter Jasmine Viel outside his home Wednesday morning.

Bullets shattered the truck’s windows and one bullet grazed his neck and shoulder, as shards of glass from the shattered windows struck his sister Christina in the face, resulting in minor bleeding for both victims, Nalbandyan said.

Still at large as of noon Wednesday, the suspect was reportedly driving a silver Honda CRV, vintage 2006-2010, with tinted windows, and was described as in his 20s or 30s and having dark, curly hair.

“It is shocking that I’m alive,” Nalbandyan told Viel. “I can’t believe that I had eight shots fired at me and my sister. It was crazy. This maniac just came out of nowhere and started firing like he didn’t care about his life — just swerving in the lanes. He was just like a monster. He didn’t care about anything.”

Nalbandyan and his sister had left a birthday party for an uncle and were southbound on Highway 14 between Crown Valley Road and Sand Canyon Road when the shooting occurred.

“We were at Crown Valley, maybe five minutes from Santa Clarita. … And this guy comes and cuts me off,” Nalbandyan said. “I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is. This guy just looks into my eyes and pulls out a gun and starts shooting. Eight times. I was worried about my sister — the bullets were just flying across our face.

“I told my sister, ‘duck down,’ and she ducked down all the way,” he said. “I hit the brakes all the way and just let this guy get a lead, keep on going. And then I let other cars come by … So that’s how I got away from him. But after I hit the brakes, he was still firing. He didn’t care.”

Nalbandyan said he believed he was shot at because of the Armenian flags on his truck.

“There’s a lot of people who are hating on this, and we’re just going out and representing Armenia,” he said. “We’re never going to stop. We’re just going to keep on representing and showing people that they have to start caring, too. It’s not a joke.”

“The brother and sister went to their house and then called 911,” Officer Josh Greengard of the California Highway Patrol’s Newhall office said Wednesday about 12:10 p.m.

“We responded later, went to the scene, tried to pick up the pieces,” he said. “Our investigation team is out there right now, putting the pieces together.”

1. Hope they catch that person that’s attempted murder

2. Glad they are ok. Poor things. I hope they catch the shooter soon!

3. Out of control. What the heck is wrong with people

4. Trudy Trump Trudy Trump says:

Glad they are ok this is totally f***k’d up…lawlessness on our roads and in communities is out of control

5. travis levy says:

Horrible what happened and glad you weren’t injured. It’s one thing to be proud of your heritage, I think we all are in our own way but if you can openly admit its upsetting people maybe its not worth losing your life over. Especially since it happened back in 1915 and not even on American soil. Glad your sister and you weren’t injured by that crazy person.

6. cBrow says:

I am glad they are both o.k. and that they survived this traumatic experience. Based on his own description, this was an incident of road rage, not racism. He says “… And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is.” I know it boils my blood when aggressive drivers cut me off or drive recklessly, however I try to let it go because someone cutting me off is not worth my life.

7. Cbrown says:

I am glad they are ok, and that they did not get seriously injured. However I dont think this was racially motivated based on the victims statement, it was road rage “And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is” there are too many angry people on the road, there isnt a justifiable reason to shoot at any person, when someone cuts you off or drives crazy just let them go.

8. Dan says:

Another moron who nearly throws the entire remainder of his life away by attempting to kill people he doesn’t even know, and without even any benefit other than getting his jollies. I’m happy that he wasn’t successful in even hitting Harry or his sister. What an idiot. Who raised this guy? They should be going to jail with him.

9. SCVTeam says:

There’s 2 sides to every story. I’m not surprised to say the least.

Monday, Oct 22, 2018
Child Airlifted from Saugus to UCLA in Medical Emergency
A Los Angeles County Fire Department helicopter flew a pediatric patient in need of emergency treatment from Saugus to UCLA Medical Center late Monday morning, according to LACoFD officials.
Monday, Oct 22, 2018
SCV Detectives Arrest Valencia Bomb Threat Suspect
A Santa Clarita woman was arrested Sunday and charged with two felonies after allegedly making bomb threats at businesses in Valencia.
Monday, Oct 22, 2018
MacArthur to Step Aside as Master’s University President
Dr. John MacArthur, who will step aside as president of The Master's University in Newhall by May 2020, released a statement to students and faculty Monday.

Several recent reports list California State University, Northridge as one of the leading institutions of higher education in the United States.
New Rankings List CSUN Among Top U.S. Colleges
In celebration of its 10th anniversary at the Canyon Country campus, College of the Canyons' Center for Early Childhood Education will host an outdoor movie night and open house on Friday, Oct. 26 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Oct: 26: ‘Coco’ to Screen at COC Early Childhood Education Open House
The No. 11-ranked Mustangs beat San Diego Christian, 3-0, by scores of 25-15, 25-21 and 25-14, maintaining a two-match lead in conference standings on Saturday with four to play.
TMU Women’s Volleyball Team Sweeps San Diego at Home
The Master's University men's cross country team finished three points, and about three seconds, behind conference rival Westmont College at the Warrior Invitational in Rocklin, Calif. on Saturday.
TMU Men’s Cross Country Takes Big Step as Championship Race Looms
TMU freshman and cross-country runner Arianna Ghiorso ran a personal best 17 minutes, 58.2 seconds to finish fourth overall at the Warrior Invitational in Rocklin, Calif. on Saturday.
TMU Freshman Ghiorso Shines for Women’s Cross Country
The Mustangs women's volleyball team beat Hope (13-12, 6-7) on Friday for the second time in the last 10 days, rolling in sets one and three and playing clutch in set two.
TMU Women’s Volleyball Gets Back on Track with Win in Fullerton
Child Airlifted from Saugus to UCLA in Medical Emergency
SCV Detectives Arrest Valencia Bomb Threat Suspect
On-location filming in Greater Los Angeles rose 3 percent in the third quarter of 2018, according to the latest update from FilmL.A.
On-Location Feature Production in LA Up for 3rd Straight Quarter
MacArthur to Step Aside as Master’s University President
The University of Southern California agreed Friday to pay $215 million to settle a federal class action on claims a former campus gynecologist sexually abused students over several years.
USC Agrees to $215 Million Settlement in Sex-Abuse Scandal
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Oct. 22-28, 2018.
‘Design Hacks,’ ‘Magnum Opus,’ ‘The Laundromat’ Now Filming in SCV
Two people were injured when their car veered off Vasquez Canyon Road in Saugus Sunday afternoon.
Crash Injures 2, Sparks Brush Fire off Vasquez Canyon Road
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station and Ralphs Pharmacy will partner with the Drug Enforcement Administration for a prescription drug take-back drive on Saturday, Oct. 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Oct. 27: Prescription Drug Take-Back Drive at SCV Sheriff’s Station
The first annual International Charity Fraud Awareness Week is Oct. 22-28, and California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has issued some tips for consumers.
Oct. 22-28: First International Charity Fraud Awareness Week
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man on two felony firearms charges in Castaic early Friday morning.
Deputies Arrest Man in Castaic on Felony Weapons Charges
1898 - Birth of Mary S. Ruiz, eldest child of Enrique & Rosaria Ruiz of San Francisquito Canyon; all died in 1928 dam disaster [cemetery census]
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Football Roundup for Week 9 of the 2018 season. College of the Canyons remains undefeated with a win against East LA, while Hart handed West Ranch its first defeat of the season.
Santa Clarita Valley Football Roundup
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]
Santa Clarita City Councilmembers on Tuesday night will discuss how to respond to county planners' request that developers consider a homeless shelter in Phase II of the proposed Tesoro del Valle housing project just north of city limits.
Oct. 23: City to Weigh Response to County Idea for Tesoro Homeless Shelter
The annual "Fun in the Sun" Chili Cook-Off staged by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department to benefit the Special Olympics is set for Saturday, Oct. 20 from 11 a.m to 4 p.m. at the Jack Bones Equestrian Center in Castaic.
Oct. 20: LASD ‘Fun in the Sun’ Chili Cook-Off to Benefit Special Olympics
College of the Canyons administrators alerted students and faculty Friday morning to a report of an unwanted sexual encounter Thursday in a COC restroom.
Unwanted Sexual Encounter Reported at COC
Brian O’Connor has been promoted to vice president brand and corporate communication at Santa Clarita-based Princess Cruises.
Princess Cruises Ups O’Connor to VP Brand, Corporate Communications
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold its next meetings at City Hall on Tuesday, Oct. 23.
Oct. 23: Santa Clarita City Council Regular, Special Meetings
The National Weather Service issued an urgent red flag warning at 3 p.m. Friday that will remain in effect in the Santa Clarita Valley until 10 p.m. due to gusty Santa Ana wind and low humidity.
Red Flag Warning Flies Till 10 Friday Night
The registration deadline to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is Monday, Oct. 22, at 11:59 p.m.
Oct 22: Last Day to Register to Vote in Nov. 6 Election
In less than three weeks, California’s 19 million voters will decide a slate of midterm ballot measures aimed at easing the state’s affordable housing crisis, but not all initiatives may bring residents the relief they seek.
State Voters Eye Ballot Measures for Solutions to Housing Crisis
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Oct. 23, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Oct. 23: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Lane closures on Soledad Canyon Road due to film-related activity near the Saugus Speedway will begin at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and end at approximately 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to an alert from the city of Santa Clarita.
Lane Closures on Soledad for Filming Set for Tuesday Night
Night work on the city of Santa Clarita's Sierra Highway pedestrian bridge project will take place at the construction site on Sierra Highway north of Golden Valley Road on Tuesday, Oct. 23, from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Oct. 23: Night Work on New Sierra Highway Pedestrian Bridge
East LA College will visit Cougar Stadium Saturday night, and all SCV youth football and cheer teams — Santa Clarita Cowboys, Grizzlies, Spartans, Vikings, Warriors, Wildcats and teams from other parks and recreation programs — are invited to attend the game free of charge when wearing a school jersey or uniform.
COC Invites SCV Youth Football, Cheer Programs to Saturday’s Game
To increase awareness about school bus safety among motorists, parents, teachers and students, the California Highway Patrol will observe National School Bus Safety Week Oct. 22-26.
Oct. 22-26: CHP Rides with School Bus Safety Week
Oct. 21-27 is National Teen Driver Safety Week, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department wants to remind parents and guardians the importance of talking to their teen drivers about new responsibilities and rules that come with operating a vehicle.
Oct. 21-27: LASD Rolls with National Teen Driver Safety Week
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies arrested a Long Beach man on multiple charges for weapons and drugs earlier this week, according to officials.
SCV Deputies Arrest Long Beach Man in Gorman on Multiple Charges