Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

August 18
1946 - Pioneering Placerita Canyon movie producer Trem Carr dies in San Diego [story]

An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on southbound Highway 14 in the Acton area Tuesday night.

Harry Nalbandyan believes his truck was targeted because he was flying Armenian flags on the back to commemorate Tuesday’s 103rd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide in Europe, he told CBS Los Angeles television reporter Jasmine Viel outside his home Wednesday morning.

Bullets shattered the truck’s windows and one bullet grazed his neck and shoulder, as shards of glass from the shattered windows struck his sister Christina in the face, resulting in minor bleeding for both victims, Nalbandyan said.

Still at large as of noon Wednesday, the suspect was reportedly driving a silver Honda CRV, vintage 2006-2010, with tinted windows, and was described as in his 20s or 30s and having dark, curly hair.

“It is shocking that I’m alive,” Nalbandyan told Viel. “I can’t believe that I had eight shots fired at me and my sister. It was crazy. This maniac just came out of nowhere and started firing like he didn’t care about his life — just swerving in the lanes. He was just like a monster. He didn’t care about anything.”

Nalbandyan and his sister had left a birthday party for an uncle and were southbound on Highway 14 between Crown Valley Road and Sand Canyon Road when the shooting occurred.

“We were at Crown Valley, maybe five minutes from Santa Clarita. … And this guy comes and cuts me off,” Nalbandyan said. “I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is. This guy just looks into my eyes and pulls out a gun and starts shooting. Eight times. I was worried about my sister — the bullets were just flying across our face.

“I told my sister, ‘duck down,’ and she ducked down all the way,” he said. “I hit the brakes all the way and just let this guy get a lead, keep on going. And then I let other cars come by … So that’s how I got away from him. But after I hit the brakes, he was still firing. He didn’t care.”

Nalbandyan said he believed he was shot at because of the Armenian flags on his truck.

“There’s a lot of people who are hating on this, and we’re just going out and representing Armenia,” he said. “We’re never going to stop. We’re just going to keep on representing and showing people that they have to start caring, too. It’s not a joke.”

“The brother and sister went to their house and then called 911,” Officer Josh Greengard of the California Highway Patrol’s Newhall office said Wednesday about 12:10 p.m.

“We responded later, went to the scene, tried to pick up the pieces,” he said. “Our investigation team is out there right now, putting the pieces together.”

1. Hope they catch that person that’s attempted murder

2. Glad they are ok. Poor things. I hope they catch the shooter soon!

3. Out of control. What the heck is wrong with people

4. Trudy Trump Trudy Trump says:

Glad they are ok this is totally f***k’d up…lawlessness on our roads and in communities is out of control

5. travis levy says:

Horrible what happened and glad you weren’t injured. It’s one thing to be proud of your heritage, I think we all are in our own way but if you can openly admit its upsetting people maybe its not worth losing your life over. Especially since it happened back in 1915 and not even on American soil. Glad your sister and you weren’t injured by that crazy person.

6. cBrow says:

I am glad they are both o.k. and that they survived this traumatic experience. Based on his own description, this was an incident of road rage, not racism. He says “… And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is.” I know it boils my blood when aggressive drivers cut me off or drive recklessly, however I try to let it go because someone cutting me off is not worth my life.

7. Cbrown says:

I am glad they are ok, and that they did not get seriously injured. However I dont think this was racially motivated based on the victims statement, it was road rage “And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is” there are too many angry people on the road, there isnt a justifiable reason to shoot at any person, when someone cuts you off or drives crazy just let them go.

8. Dan says:

Another moron who nearly throws the entire remainder of his life away by attempting to kill people he doesn’t even know, and without even any benefit other than getting his jollies. I’m happy that he wasn’t successful in even hitting Harry or his sister. What an idiot. Who raised this guy? They should be going to jail with him.

9. SCVTeam says:

There’s 2 sides to every story. I’m not surprised to say the least.

Friday, Aug 17, 2018
Big Oaks Lodge Fire an Accident, Arson Investigators Say
The fire that destroyed the historic Big Oaks Lodge on Bouquet Canyon Road in Saugus Aug. 11-12 was an accident, Sgt. John Hanson of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Arson & Explosives squad said Friday morning.
Friday, Aug 17, 2018
State Lawmakers Advance Bail Overhaul, Police Transparency Bills
Lawmakers advanced a controversial bill Thursday that aims to reform California’s money bail system though recent amendments have alarmed advocates who say the current bill could authorize prosecutors and judges to promote indefinite pretrial detention.
Friday, Aug 17, 2018
Caltrans to Repave 19 Miles of Sierra Highway in SCV
Nightly lane closures are scheduled to start Monday on Sierra Highway near Highway 14 as crews begin a paving project in and near the city of Santa Clarita, the California Department of Transportation announced Friday.

The JetHawks got some much-needed offense to beat Stockton, 9-7, Thursday night at The Hangar to end a five-game losing streak.
Offense Comes Through, JetHawks End 5-Game Skid
The Canyon Country Community Center’s next Sock Hop is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 25, beginning at 7 p.m.
Aug. 25: Sock Hop at Canyon Country Community Center
Results of the first full year of Measure H funding are in, demonstrating widespread progress as services ramped up and thousands of individuals and families were housed temporarily or permanently, Los Angeles County officials said Friday.
Measure H First Year: Housing for 7,500, Help for Thousands More
Big Oaks Lodge Fire an Accident, Arson Investigators Say
State Lawmakers Advance Bail Overhaul, Police Transparency Bills
Caltrans to Repave 19 Miles of Sierra Highway in SCV
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges' Senior College and University Commission has placed The Master's University & Seminary on probation after a visiting WSCUC team in March found TMUS out of compliance with numerous accreditation standards.
‘Climate of Fear,’ Admin Issues Lead to Probation for The Master’s University
Reversing a trial court and an appellate panel, the California Supreme Court ruled Thursday that asylum-seeking children with one parent living in the United States need only notify the foreign parent of their plans to seek resident status in the U.S.
California Justices Lift Custody Hurdle for Asylum-Seeking Kids
1920 - Actress Maureen O'Hara born in Ireland; 1961 "Parent Trap" uses Disney Golden Oak Ranch [story]
The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation, in collaboration with The Friends of Hart Park, presents its, “7th Annual Summer Movies in the Park Series."
Aug. 17: Black Panther to Close Out Summer Movies in the Park Series
LANCASTER – The University of Antelope Valley (UAV) baseball program is pleased to announce the additions of 6-1 utility player Edmond Marcotte, 6-0 utility player Kyle Lathrop, and 6-1 pitcher Austin Grabbit, with all three players coming over to UAV from Antelope Valley College in Lancaster, Calif.
University of Antelope Valley Adds 3 New Players to Baseball Program
College of the Canyons is partnering with AMS Fulfillment to offer 30 pre-apprenticeships in the logistics field—one of the fastest growing industries in Los Angeles County—to individuals who need job readiness skills to gain employment.
COC Partners with Local Fulfillment Company to Offer Pre-Apprenticeships
Children and young adults need to be protected before heading back to school.
County Encourages Parents to Stay Current on School Immunizations
Well, I don't know but I've been told, you’ll never slow down, you’ll never grow old with the music of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Tribute Band Free Falls into Concerts in the Park
Mayor Laurene Weste, Mayor Pro Tem Marsha McLean, Councilmembers Bob Kellar, Bill Miranda and Cameron Smyth cordially invite you to the 2018 State of the City Luncheon to be held on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m., at the Hyatt Regency Valencia.
Oct. 25: “Santa Clarita – City of the Arts” State of the City Luncheon
To keep grass at parks green and lush despite constant use, the city of Santa Clarita Parks division works hard to maintain the high quality fields residents love.
City Aerates, Renovates Parks Ahead of Fall
The Saugus Union School District is very pleased to announce the awarding of two grants to provide arts education in the district.
County Arts Commission, Music Center Awarding Grants to Saugus Union
The New Heights Artist Development Series will be holding a free presentation on taxes and artists.
Aug. 23: New Heights Artist Development Series, “Taxes and the Artist”
After thirteen years of service, Saugus Union School District (SUSD) Governing Board Member Paul De La Cerda announced on Friday that he will not be seeking re-election.
Saugus School Board Member to Pursue Doctorate; Won’t Seek Re-Election
LANCASTER, Calif. – On the heels of their longest winning streak of the season, the Lancaster JetHawks are in the midst of their longest losing streak after a 6-4 defeat at the hands of Stockton Wednesday night at The Hangar. The loss was Lancaster’s fifth in a row.
Stockton Hands JetHawks 5th Straight Loss
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Missing Persons Unit detectives are seeking the public’s assistance in locating Wayne Stuart Habell.
Detectives Seek Help in Locating Missing Fire Captain
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive individuals in Santa Clarita Valley tomorrow, Friday, Aug. 17.
Unhealthy Air Quality Declared in SCV Friday
1956 - Battle of Palmdale rages over the skies of Santa Clarita [story]
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has selected Ricardo Garcia to be the county’s new Public Defender.
Supes Name Ricardo Garcia New LA County Public Defender
The seven Los Angeles County animal shelters including the Castaic Animal Care Center will offer $20 adoption fees for dogs and free adoption for cats on Saturday, August 18 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Aug. 18: Cheap, Free Pet Adoptions at Castaic Shelter
The U.S. Interior Department is against adding the Rim of the Valley Corridor to the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation area, and it won't take a stand on the proposed St. Francis Dam Memorial legislation because it's an issue for the Agriculture Department, not the Interior Department.
Park Service Opposes Rim Addition, Defers on Dam Bill
Air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive people in the SCV on Thursday, according to an advisory from the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
Air Quality Unhealthy for SCV Residents Thursday
FOX Sports Prime Ticket, in partnership with the CIF Southern Section, will launch its TV-web coverage of the 2018 high school football season on Friday, Aug. 17.
Aug. 17: Friday Night High School Football Returns to Prime Ticket
The Lancaster JetHawks scored twice and put the tying run on base in the bottom of the ninth inning, but it was not enough in a 5-4 loss to the Stockton Ports Tuesday night at The Hangar.
Late JetHawks Rally Comes Up Short Against Ports
The Los Angeles Dodgers reinstated left-handed pitcher Alex Wood from the 10-day disabled list Thursday and placed right-handed pitcher John Axford on the 10-day disabled list with a fractured right fibula.
Dodgers Reinstate Pitcher Alex Wood
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released its crime and public safety information report for Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) for the week of Aug. 6-12, 2018.
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, GTA in Stevenson Ranch
1849 - Eight-pound gold nugget found in San Feliciano Canyon (Val Verde/Piru area) [story]
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Aug. 15 - Aug. 17:
Aug. 15-17: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
Walk season is quickly approaching, and it's time to turn up the heat in the fight to end Alzheimer's.
Walk to End Alzheimer’s Offers up New Challenge