Clear
Clear

March 3
1882 - George Campton's Newhall general store explodes [story]
general store

[KHTS] – A 21-year-old Valencia woman who won $1 million on a Scratchers ticket from the California Lottery said she doesn’t know if it’s sunk in yet. But there were a few people she wanted to help with her winnings.

“I’m going to live every day like I never won the money,” said Lindsay Sharbutt, who’s studying political science at College of the Canyons.

Sharbutt, who aspires toward a career as a political analyst, doesn’t plan on quitting her day job as operations coordinator at 211 Enterprises, a Valencia-based company.

“I won the ticket on Sunday, and I was at work on Monday,” she said.

LindsaySharbuttBut there are a few things she’d like to do with her $650,000 winnings, she said, which is about what was left from the $1 million prize after taxes were withdrawn.

Scratcher tickets don’t offer a 20-year option, so the winnings are paid in a lump-sum check.

Lindsay’s brother Dylan, who is serving in the Navy in Bahrain, is getting a first-class trip home when his unit is due to return to the United States, she said.

“I’m excited to be able to do that for him,” Sharbutt said. “It’s a 24-hour flight and he’s been in the Middle East for the last year.”

She’s already contacted Circle of Hope, a Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit that works with those battling cancer, about setting up a program with local school districts.

“I want to raise money and awareness,” she said.

The program would be aimed at helping children who are dealing with parents who have the illness.

“I’m in talks with them for what I can do financially and and volunteer-wise,” Sharbutt said. “I feel like I have the opportunity to do something now and I would be disappointed (if I didn’t).”

She also mentioned plans to move out to her own place, and was looking at apartments, she said.

Initially, Sharbutt thought she had won $1,000, she said.

“I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to pay off my credit card, I can’t wait to call my mom,’” she said. “And then I found out it was $1 million.”

Her mom didn’t believe her when she first told her, Sharbutt said.

“I called my mom and, at first, she goes, ‘No, you didn’t – if I drive down there and this is a joke.’”

Her mother remained in disbelief when she arrived at the Smoke 4 Less shop in Castaic, where Sharbutt purchased the tickets, because Sharbutt was so stunned she wasn’t really reacting to her own good fortune.

“And then she realized, it was real and she started crying,” she said.

1. She’s ready to own a home:)

2. Ray Cruz Ray Cruz says:

^lol shameless self promotion.

3. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

Nice! That’s like $400,000.00 after taxes!

4. Wow!! Congrats Lindsay Grace Sharbutt!!

5. It’ll be gone in three months.

6. Nic Miller Nic Miller says:

Someone’s a lil jealous.

7. Gayle Farrow says:

Wow! Congratulations, Lindsay Sharbutt! What a great cause to support, too. I have a nephew who is struggling with that devastating situation, and I cannot thank you enough for your compassion! Your mom must be so proud of you – I’m sure she was before you won the money, too! ;-)

8. Wow! I heard someone young lady won, but didn’t know it was her! Awesome!!!

9. Kathi Cole Kathi Cole says:

Congratulations no matter how you decide to spend YOUR money!!

10. Gayle Farrow Gayle Farrow says:

11. Yay!!! Congrats Lindsey!!! So nice to see one of my sons classmates win the lottery!!!

12. Congratulations!!! That’s so wonderful!

13. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

Lollll at Danielle Halyak just lookin for some self promotion. Too funny

14. That’s a nice way to start her journey into adulthood! Hopefully she will use it wisely! Congrats!

15. Make sure you get a very reputable CPA my husband handles lots of money for the rich and famous it’s so important you have that in order. Congratulations

16. she did here with my girls when they were in the middle school

17. Brian Fisher Brian Fisher says:

Save your money, take care of your family, don’t feel obligated to give money to every fool that begs for it. Congratulations!!!!!

18. sorry, cheer with my girls

19. Neil Wachs Neil Wachs says:

Laura’s Beauty Supply..20% OFF !!!

20. I wonder how many people have hit her up for some cash so far lol

21. Good for her….school is now paid for!

22. Bailley Dee Bailley Dee says:

Dominique Wald Alexa Paige OH OKAY WHY DOES THIS NEVER HAPPEN TO US

23. Best of luck and enjoy!!

24. What a blessing God is great

25. Congratulations….why couldn’t this be my 21yr old. ..

26. Alexa Paige NO WAY OMG

27. Kerri Spurlin says:

That is a smart girl with a warm heart that deserves to win this money. Nicely stated Lindsey!!!

28. A smart girl with a warm heart!

29. Nina Selkirk Nina Selkirk says:

Where we’re you on this one Jeremiah Sardoma??

30. Now she will be able to pay for college without taking a $100k loan :D lmao ^^

31. Well deserved. She’s a great gal.

32. Good for her, hope she knows how to keep the sharks from circling! 2 words: FINANCIAL PLANNER

33. I’m a scratcher Fein!!! Where did you purchase this winner?? Congrats!!!

34. Invest, invest, invest!

35. Congrats ! Yes invest …. PM me I can refer you to someone to help you…

36. With a name like Sharbutt, she karmically EARNED that check. Go Lindsay! Don’t spend it all on Starbucks and ugg boots!

37. That’s awesome! What a sweet young lady with a kind heart.

38. Kyle James Kyle James says:

Buy 1 million more Scratchers!

39. Congrats Lindsay, that’s awesome.

40. Where did she buy the ticket??

41. Rick Dodger Rick Dodger says:

What scratcher was it?

42. Put the money away
    Just finish school and do what you love

43. Diamond dummy, look at the picture

44. Mark Calland Mark Calland says:

Maybe the chargers can borrow money for a new qb

45. Hopefully she lives up to her name…..SharButt

46. Yolanda Hall Yolanda Hall says:

Omg, yay. Congratulations. How exciting.

47. Get a degree under ur belt then do what u want.

48. Craig Buelna Craig Buelna says:

Nice local win that’s cool I’m sure she’ll further her education with the winnings & help her family

49. Love her attitude, congrats lucky Scv girl. Yeah !,,, I buy lottery tickets in same shop you won at!,,,

50. Alyssa Banko says:

Congrats Lindsey, glad to see your mom set the story straight!

51. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

She’s amazing! Congrats Linds!! You deserve it!

52. Congratulations!!! Great attitude!

53. Carla Strand Carla Strand says:

Omg !!!, hopefully she spend this money wisely !

54. Congrats!..Glad to see someone from scv having some good come

55. Congrats!! It’s about time some good things are happening to good people!

56. LOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO Now you can buy me an effing tamagochi.

57. Congratulations! Good for you!

58. I am very happy 4 u . I hope u have a very nice life. B very careful people will come out of the woodwork wanting 2 b ur friend. Get u a good Attourney & financial advisor u can trust. Enjoy ur money & have fun sweetie. I wish u the best. What place did u buy ticket? I have been playing 4 a couple months now. I never played in past. -/:D Dorothy

59. Casey Gault Casey Gault says:

Lol first millionaire from West Ranch

60. Pete Turner says:

As a student, I wonder if she studied lottery history to help her achieve the win! Meanwhile, if you’re interested, I have my own little just-for-fun page which generates my personal quick pick numbers. As I say, it is strictly just for fun, but you never know your luck! Look out for VillaLibra if you want to see if you can locate it.

61. Chris Tanner Chris Tanner says:

Good plan! Congrats!

62. Yahoooo!!! So happy for you Lindsay Grace Sharbutt. U deserve every penny, sweet girl!!!!

63. Congrates to her. May all her dreams come true

64. Well there goes another young person not signing up for Obamacare!!! Congrats

65. CONGRATULATIONS!! My first advice is that you must first talk to a financial adviser don’t let family & friends dictate how you spend your money remember 1M this days don’t go very far if you don’t use wisely,a must for you to start also will be a condominium for under 300K in valencia & save for your college education Good luck.Angel your local REALTOR

66. Invest it and give some to charity

Wednesday, Mar 3, 2021
Wednesday COVID-19 Roundup: 144th Death at Henry Mayo; Decline in L.A. County Cases, Hospitalizations
Los Angeles County Public Health officials on Wednesday confirmed 116 new deaths and 1,759 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, as Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital in Valencia reported its 144th fatality since the pandemic began.
Wednesday, Mar 3, 2021
Dry February Exacerbates Drought in California
After a relatively dry February in California, water supply managers grow increasingly anxious as each dry, sunny day plunges the state deeper into drought.
Wednesday, Mar 3, 2021
Feds OK Medi-Cal to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Low-Income Students
The Biden-Harris Administration has approved California’s request to use Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) funding to pay for voluntary COVID-19 testing for low-income students covered by the program, further supporting schools in underserved communities to reopen for in-person instruction.

Rancho Camulos National Historic Landmark officials will host a virtual presentation commemorating the March 12, 1928, St. Francis Dam Disaster via Zoom on Friday, March 12, starting at 4 p.m.
March 12: St. Francis Dam Disaster Commemoration Event, Free on Zoom
California State University, Northridge is launching an interdisciplinary master’s degree in sustainability, set to begin fall 2022.
CSUN to Offer an Interdisciplinary Master’s Degree in Sustainability
Princess Cruises is extending the pause of its United Kingdom-based cruise vacations, sailing roundtrip from Southampton, through September 25, 2021, on Sky Princess, Regal Princess, and Island Princess.
Princess Cruises Extends Pause of Southampton Sailings Through Sept. 25
Dry February Exacerbates Drought in California
Feds OK Medi-Cal to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Low-Income Students
Santa Clarita planning commissioners Tuesday sent the Sand Canyon resort proposal back to the drawing board amid continued concerns, focusing largely on emergency evacuations.
Sand Canyon Resort Sent Back to Drawing Board Amid Various Concerns
Sam Horn, president of Master’s University and Seminary for the past year, will be stepping down from his position, university officials said Monday.
Master’s University President Sam Horn to Step Down After 1 Year
Moving around California three decades from now will be safer, cleaner, and simpler with more transportation options under a plan Caltrans unveiled Wednesday.
Caltrans Unveils Vision for Future of Transportation
1882 - George Campton's Newhall general store explodes [story]
general store
After receiving athletic protocol updates from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the Los Angeles Department of Public Health (LADPH) and California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), the William S. Hart Union High School District has put together a complete athletic program following all state and county guidelines.
Hart District Announces Outdoor Sports Practices, Competitions to Resume Immediately
The ability to transform data into information and insights that can elevate a business and influence decisions is at the core of the newest major being offered in California State University, Northridge’s David Nazarian College of Business and Economics.
CSUN Students Can Now Earn Degree in Business Analytics
Three teachers from the William S. Hart Union High School District have been named by NASA and the SETI Institute to fly on NASA’s Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA).
NASA Selects Three Hart District Teachers for SOFIA Flight
Los Angeles County Parks is looking for highly-talented independent instructors to bring valuable expertise and learning to the community through the Contact Class Program.
L.A. County Parks Hiring Instructors for Summer 2021 Season
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Tuesday 91 new deaths and 1,407 new cases of COVID-19, with 26,212 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Tuesday COVID-19 Roundup: SCV Cases Total  26,212; L.A. County Remains in Most Restrictive Tier
The Santa Clarita Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Commission will hold its study session virtually Thursday, March 4, at 6:00 p.m.
March 4: Parks, Recreation & Community Services Commission Study Session
After its cancelation last year due to the emergence of COVID-19, the College of the Canyons Scholarly Presentation will return this spring in a new virtual format.
COC’s Scholarly Presentations Return Virtually March 11
The Santa Clarita Public Library is excited to present Sidewalk Stories at the Old Town Newhall Library!
Old Town Newhall Library Now Offering Sidewalk Storytime
Santa Clarita Planning commissioners are expected to make a decision Tuesday regarding the proposed expansion of Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital via multiple construction projects that include building a second inpatient tower.
Proposed Henry Mayo Expansion Project Back Before Planning Commission
Picture this…the sun has just set on another brisk spring day.
Santa Clarita City Manager’s Monthly Message – March 2021
1938 - Great Flood of 1938 causes massive destruction and death across the greater Los Angeles region [story]
flooding
Santa Clarita Valley educators were next in line to receive their COVID-19 vaccine shots at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Monday, more than two months after the hospital received its first batch of vaccines for hospital frontline workers.
Henry Mayo Now Inoculating Educators with COVID-19 Vaccine
Los Angeles County Public Health officials on Monday confirmed 32 new deaths and 987 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, as Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital in Valencia reported two new deaths since Friday.
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: 2 New Deaths at Henry Mayo; Vaccine Eligibility Expands
The Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center at Bella Vida has announced its March 2021 lineup of outdoor drive-in events.
Bella Vida Senior Center Sets March Outdoor Drive-in Events