Mostly clear
Mostly clear

May 7
1861 - Andres Pico and partners granted state franchise to build toll road and cut 50-foot-deep cleft through (Newhall) Pass; they failed; Beale later succeeded [story]
Andres Pico

[KHTS] – A 21-year-old Valencia woman who won $1 million on a Scratchers ticket from the California Lottery said she doesn’t know if it’s sunk in yet. But there were a few people she wanted to help with her winnings.

“I’m going to live every day like I never won the money,” said Lindsay Sharbutt, who’s studying political science at College of the Canyons.

Sharbutt, who aspires toward a career as a political analyst, doesn’t plan on quitting her day job as operations coordinator at 211 Enterprises, a Valencia-based company.

“I won the ticket on Sunday, and I was at work on Monday,” she said.

LindsaySharbuttBut there are a few things she’d like to do with her $650,000 winnings, she said, which is about what was left from the $1 million prize after taxes were withdrawn.

Scratcher tickets don’t offer a 20-year option, so the winnings are paid in a lump-sum check.

Lindsay’s brother Dylan, who is serving in the Navy in Bahrain, is getting a first-class trip home when his unit is due to return to the United States, she said.

“I’m excited to be able to do that for him,” Sharbutt said. “It’s a 24-hour flight and he’s been in the Middle East for the last year.”

She’s already contacted Circle of Hope, a Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit that works with those battling cancer, about setting up a program with local school districts.

“I want to raise money and awareness,” she said.

The program would be aimed at helping children who are dealing with parents who have the illness.

“I’m in talks with them for what I can do financially and and volunteer-wise,” Sharbutt said. “I feel like I have the opportunity to do something now and I would be disappointed (if I didn’t).”

She also mentioned plans to move out to her own place, and was looking at apartments, she said.

Initially, Sharbutt thought she had won $1,000, she said.

“I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to pay off my credit card, I can’t wait to call my mom,’” she said. “And then I found out it was $1 million.”

Her mom didn’t believe her when she first told her, Sharbutt said.

“I called my mom and, at first, she goes, ‘No, you didn’t – if I drive down there and this is a joke.’”

Her mother remained in disbelief when she arrived at the Smoke 4 Less shop in Castaic, where Sharbutt purchased the tickets, because Sharbutt was so stunned she wasn’t really reacting to her own good fortune.

“And then she realized, it was real and she started crying,” she said.

1. She’s ready to own a home:)

2. Ray Cruz Ray Cruz says:

^lol shameless self promotion.

3. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

Nice! That’s like $400,000.00 after taxes!

4. Wow!! Congrats Lindsay Grace Sharbutt!!

5. It’ll be gone in three months.

6. Nic Miller Nic Miller says:

Someone’s a lil jealous.

7. Gayle Farrow says:

Wow! Congratulations, Lindsay Sharbutt! What a great cause to support, too. I have a nephew who is struggling with that devastating situation, and I cannot thank you enough for your compassion! Your mom must be so proud of you – I’m sure she was before you won the money, too! ;-)

8. Wow! I heard someone young lady won, but didn’t know it was her! Awesome!!!

9. Kathi Cole Kathi Cole says:

Congratulations no matter how you decide to spend YOUR money!!

10. Gayle Farrow Gayle Farrow says:

11. Yay!!! Congrats Lindsey!!! So nice to see one of my sons classmates win the lottery!!!

12. Congratulations!!! That’s so wonderful!

13. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

Lollll at Danielle Halyak just lookin for some self promotion. Too funny

14. That’s a nice way to start her journey into adulthood! Hopefully she will use it wisely! Congrats!

15. Make sure you get a very reputable CPA my husband handles lots of money for the rich and famous it’s so important you have that in order. Congratulations

16. she did here with my girls when they were in the middle school

17. Brian Fisher Brian Fisher says:

Save your money, take care of your family, don’t feel obligated to give money to every fool that begs for it. Congratulations!!!!!

18. sorry, cheer with my girls

19. Neil Wachs Neil Wachs says:

Laura’s Beauty Supply..20% OFF !!!

20. I wonder how many people have hit her up for some cash so far lol

21. Good for her….school is now paid for!

22. Bailley Dee Bailley Dee says:

Dominique Wald Alexa Paige OH OKAY WHY DOES THIS NEVER HAPPEN TO US

23. Best of luck and enjoy!!

24. What a blessing God is great

25. Congratulations….why couldn’t this be my 21yr old. ..

26. Alexa Paige NO WAY OMG

27. Kerri Spurlin says:

That is a smart girl with a warm heart that deserves to win this money. Nicely stated Lindsey!!!

28. A smart girl with a warm heart!

29. Nina Selkirk Nina Selkirk says:

Where we’re you on this one Jeremiah Sardoma??

30. Now she will be able to pay for college without taking a $100k loan :D lmao ^^

31. Well deserved. She’s a great gal.

32. Good for her, hope she knows how to keep the sharks from circling! 2 words: FINANCIAL PLANNER

33. I’m a scratcher Fein!!! Where did you purchase this winner?? Congrats!!!

34. Invest, invest, invest!

35. Congrats ! Yes invest …. PM me I can refer you to someone to help you…

36. With a name like Sharbutt, she karmically EARNED that check. Go Lindsay! Don’t spend it all on Starbucks and ugg boots!

37. That’s awesome! What a sweet young lady with a kind heart.

38. Kyle James Kyle James says:

Buy 1 million more Scratchers!

39. Congrats Lindsay, that’s awesome.

40. Where did she buy the ticket??

41. Rick Dodger Rick Dodger says:

What scratcher was it?

42. Put the money away
    Just finish school and do what you love

43. Diamond dummy, look at the picture

44. Mark Calland Mark Calland says:

Maybe the chargers can borrow money for a new qb

45. Hopefully she lives up to her name…..SharButt

46. Yolanda Hall Yolanda Hall says:

Omg, yay. Congratulations. How exciting.

47. Get a degree under ur belt then do what u want.

48. Craig Buelna Craig Buelna says:

Nice local win that’s cool I’m sure she’ll further her education with the winnings & help her family

49. Love her attitude, congrats lucky Scv girl. Yeah !,,, I buy lottery tickets in same shop you won at!,,,

50. Alyssa Banko says:

Congrats Lindsey, glad to see your mom set the story straight!

51. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

She’s amazing! Congrats Linds!! You deserve it!

52. Congratulations!!! Great attitude!

53. Carla Strand Carla Strand says:

Omg !!!, hopefully she spend this money wisely !

54. Congrats!..Glad to see someone from scv having some good come

55. Congrats!! It’s about time some good things are happening to good people!

56. LOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO Now you can buy me an effing tamagochi.

57. Congratulations! Good for you!

58. I am very happy 4 u . I hope u have a very nice life. B very careful people will come out of the woodwork wanting 2 b ur friend. Get u a good Attourney & financial advisor u can trust. Enjoy ur money & have fun sweetie. I wish u the best. What place did u buy ticket? I have been playing 4 a couple months now. I never played in past. -/:D Dorothy

59. Casey Gault Casey Gault says:

Lol first millionaire from West Ranch

60. Pete Turner says:

As a student, I wonder if she studied lottery history to help her achieve the win! Meanwhile, if you’re interested, I have my own little just-for-fun page which generates my personal quick pick numbers. As I say, it is strictly just for fun, but you never know your luck! Look out for VillaLibra if you want to see if you can locate it.

61. Chris Tanner Chris Tanner says:

Good plan! Congrats!

62. Yahoooo!!! So happy for you Lindsay Grace Sharbutt. U deserve every penny, sweet girl!!!!

63. Congrates to her. May all her dreams come true

64. Well there goes another young person not signing up for Obamacare!!! Congrats

65. CONGRATULATIONS!! My first advice is that you must first talk to a financial adviser don’t let family & friends dictate how you spend your money remember 1M this days don’t go very far if you don’t use wisely,a must for you to start also will be a condominium for under 300K in valencia & save for your college education Good luck.Angel your local REALTOR

66. Invest it and give some to charity

Thursday, May 6, 2021
Hart District Announces Blended Learning Format to Continue for Remainder of Year
Santa Clarita Valley public junior high and high school students will remain in the blended learning model — two days a week of in-person instruction — for the remainder of the year, William S. Hart Union High School District officials announced Wednesday night.
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Thursday COVID-19 Roundup: Reopenings Expand in L.A. County as Transmission Remains Low; SCV Cases Total 27,744
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday 19 new deaths and 414 new cases of COVID-19, with 27,744 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Wednesday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Health Officer Order Updates Effective Thursday; SCV Cases Total 27,744
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials on Wednesday confirmed 21 new deaths and 287 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with Santa Clarita cases totaling 27,744.

Andres Pico
The Water Resources and Watershed Committee is scheduled to meet via teleconference on Wednesday, May 12, at 5:30 p.m.
May 12: Water Resources and Watershed Committee Teleconference Meeting
The California Interscholastic Federation has renewed a multi-year agreement with GoFan as the official digital ticketing partner to provide touchless, digital ticketing solutions to high schools and state-wide post season play across California.
CIF, GoFan Reach Multi-Year Agreement that Includes Post-Season Play
The County of Los Angeles announced Thursday that it has distributed 23 million units of free PPE through its joint effort with PPE Unite to protect 433,000 employees at small businesses across the County.
L.A. County Announces Distribution of 23 Million Units of PPE
The Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) has launched its annual CalFresh Awareness Month campaign to publicize the CalFresh Nutrition Program and acknowledge community partners throughout the month of May for helping to raise public awareness year-round.
Annual CalFresh Awareness Month Underway
The Santa Clarita City Council convened Tuesday evening to hear an overview of the city’s budget for the upcoming fiscal year.
Striplin Presents Balanced Budget Which Includes $300K Surplus
This summer Mission Opera is happy to present a live outdoor operetta in one-act on June 5, 6, 12, and 13, in Santa Clarita.
Mission Opera to Present Live Outdoor Operetta, “Le 66”
The William S. Hart Union High School District is looking for one new member to serve on the Measure SA Citizens’ Oversight Committee.
Hart District Seeking Oversight Committee Member
The College of the Canyons Theatre Department will present “The Addams Family Quarantined Concert Version,” a live virtual musical production based on the eponymous beloved television series on May 7-9.
May 7-9: COC Theatre Presents, “The Addams Family Quarantined Concert Version”
1971 - Fort Tejon added to National Register of Historic Places [story]
Fort Tejon
During their first in-person meeting of the year, William S. Hart Union High School District governing board members are planning to hear public comments under a new format Wednesday, as well as discuss a potential decrease to the number of units seniors need to graduate in light of COVID-19.
Hart Governing Board Returns to In-Person Meetings, Set to Discuss Reducing Credits for Graduation
For the second time since his arrest, Michelle Dorsey’s estranged husband — who is accused of having killed his wife in her Saugus home last month — had a continuation of his arraignment.
Arraignment Continued for Estranged Husband Accused of Murdering Michelle Dorsey
After a year of virtual learning, the Santa Clarita Youth Orchestra's spring semester will host its grand finale, a virtual concert fundraiser, to help recoup losses during the pandemic.
SCV Youth Orchestra To Hold Virtual Concert Fundraiser
The California Highway Patrol is reminding cyclists and motorists to share the road and remember traffic safety saves lives during this years National Bicycle Safety month all May.
CHP Emphasizes Bicycling Safety Is Shared Responsibility
The College of the Canyons Theatre Department announced a live virtual production of "The Addams Family Quarantined Concert Version", based on the eponymous television series.
COC Theatre Presents “Addams Family Quarantine Concert Version”
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital revealed a new addition to their leadership staff, bringing more than 30 years of medical experience to the hospital.
Henry Mayo Announces New VP And Chief Medical Officer
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station is once again hosting their monthly free catalytic converter etching event, adding more dates and locations to have a converter etched.
May’s Free Catalytic Converter Etching Adds Additional Location
The annual Bike to Work challenge is once again rolling into town for a week long going green challenge, starting next week. The challenge will begin Monday May 10 and go through Friday May 14.
City Promotes Week-Long Bike To Work Challenge To Go Green
The William S Hart Education Foundation announced events will be returning this year and into 2022, starting with their new Cars under the Stars event.
WiSH Education Foundation Announces New Events
The annual State of the County will be held in-person at Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Santa Clarita Chamber of Commerce announced Wednesday. The SCV Chamber and Supervisor Kathryn Barger’s office have been working to create an event to celebrate the reopening of our economy which will include remarks by the Supervisor and full access to rides at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
Six Flags To Host State Of The County Event