Sunny
Sunny

August 3
1975 - Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital opens with 100 beds [story]
HMNMH

[KHTS] – A 21-year-old Valencia woman who won $1 million on a Scratchers ticket from the California Lottery said she doesn’t know if it’s sunk in yet. But there were a few people she wanted to help with her winnings.

“I’m going to live every day like I never won the money,” said Lindsay Sharbutt, who’s studying political science at College of the Canyons.

Sharbutt, who aspires toward a career as a political analyst, doesn’t plan on quitting her day job as operations coordinator at 211 Enterprises, a Valencia-based company.

“I won the ticket on Sunday, and I was at work on Monday,” she said.

LindsaySharbuttBut there are a few things she’d like to do with her $650,000 winnings, she said, which is about what was left from the $1 million prize after taxes were withdrawn.

Scratcher tickets don’t offer a 20-year option, so the winnings are paid in a lump-sum check.

Lindsay’s brother Dylan, who is serving in the Navy in Bahrain, is getting a first-class trip home when his unit is due to return to the United States, she said.

“I’m excited to be able to do that for him,” Sharbutt said. “It’s a 24-hour flight and he’s been in the Middle East for the last year.”

She’s already contacted Circle of Hope, a Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit that works with those battling cancer, about setting up a program with local school districts.

“I want to raise money and awareness,” she said.

The program would be aimed at helping children who are dealing with parents who have the illness.

“I’m in talks with them for what I can do financially and and volunteer-wise,” Sharbutt said. “I feel like I have the opportunity to do something now and I would be disappointed (if I didn’t).”

She also mentioned plans to move out to her own place, and was looking at apartments, she said.

Initially, Sharbutt thought she had won $1,000, she said.

“I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to pay off my credit card, I can’t wait to call my mom,’” she said. “And then I found out it was $1 million.”

Her mom didn’t believe her when she first told her, Sharbutt said.

“I called my mom and, at first, she goes, ‘No, you didn’t – if I drive down there and this is a joke.’”

Her mother remained in disbelief when she arrived at the Smoke 4 Less shop in Castaic, where Sharbutt purchased the tickets, because Sharbutt was so stunned she wasn’t really reacting to her own good fortune.

“And then she realized, it was real and she started crying,” she said.

1. She’s ready to own a home:)

2. Ray Cruz Ray Cruz says:

^lol shameless self promotion.

3. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

Nice! That’s like $400,000.00 after taxes!

4. Wow!! Congrats Lindsay Grace Sharbutt!!

5. It’ll be gone in three months.

6. Nic Miller Nic Miller says:

Someone’s a lil jealous.

7. Gayle Farrow says:

Wow! Congratulations, Lindsay Sharbutt! What a great cause to support, too. I have a nephew who is struggling with that devastating situation, and I cannot thank you enough for your compassion! Your mom must be so proud of you – I’m sure she was before you won the money, too! ;-)

8. Wow! I heard someone young lady won, but didn’t know it was her! Awesome!!!

9. Kathi Cole Kathi Cole says:

Congratulations no matter how you decide to spend YOUR money!!

10. Gayle Farrow Gayle Farrow says:

11. Yay!!! Congrats Lindsey!!! So nice to see one of my sons classmates win the lottery!!!

12. Congratulations!!! That’s so wonderful!

13. Brad Hoskins Brad Hoskins says:

Lollll at Danielle Halyak just lookin for some self promotion. Too funny

14. That’s a nice way to start her journey into adulthood! Hopefully she will use it wisely! Congrats!

15. Make sure you get a very reputable CPA my husband handles lots of money for the rich and famous it’s so important you have that in order. Congratulations

16. she did here with my girls when they were in the middle school

17. Brian Fisher Brian Fisher says:

Save your money, take care of your family, don’t feel obligated to give money to every fool that begs for it. Congratulations!!!!!

18. sorry, cheer with my girls

19. Neil Wachs Neil Wachs says:

Laura’s Beauty Supply..20% OFF !!!

20. I wonder how many people have hit her up for some cash so far lol

21. Good for her….school is now paid for!

22. Bailley Dee Bailley Dee says:

Dominique Wald Alexa Paige OH OKAY WHY DOES THIS NEVER HAPPEN TO US

23. What a blessing God is great

24. Congratulations….why couldn’t this be my 21yr old. ..

25. Kerri Spurlin says:

That is a smart girl with a warm heart that deserves to win this money. Nicely stated Lindsey!!!

26. A smart girl with a warm heart!

27. Nina Selkirk Nina Selkirk says:

Where we’re you on this one Jeremiah Sardoma??

28. Now she will be able to pay for college without taking a $100k loan :D lmao ^^

29. Well deserved. She’s a great gal.

30. Good for her, hope she knows how to keep the sharks from circling! 2 words: FINANCIAL PLANNER

31. I’m a scratcher Fein!!! Where did you purchase this winner?? Congrats!!!

32. Invest, invest, invest!

33. Congrats ! Yes invest …. PM me I can refer you to someone to help you…

34. With a name like Sharbutt, she karmically EARNED that check. Go Lindsay! Don’t spend it all on Starbucks and ugg boots!

35. That’s awesome! What a sweet young lady with a kind heart.

36. Kyle James Kyle James says:

Buy 1 million more Scratchers!

37. Congrats Lindsay, that’s awesome.

38. Where did she buy the ticket??

39. Rick Dodger Rick Dodger says:

What scratcher was it?

40. Put the money away
    Just finish school and do what you love

41. Diamond dummy, look at the picture

42. Mark Calland Mark Calland says:

Maybe the chargers can borrow money for a new qb

43. Hopefully she lives up to her name…..SharButt

44. Yolanda Hall Yolanda Hall says:

Omg, yay. Congratulations. How exciting.

45. Get a degree under ur belt then do what u want.

46. Craig Buelna Craig Buelna says:

Nice local win that’s cool I’m sure she’ll further her education with the winnings & help her family

47. Love her attitude, congrats lucky Scv girl. Yeah !,,, I buy lottery tickets in same shop you won at!,,,

48. Alyssa Banko says:

Congrats Lindsey, glad to see your mom set the story straight!

49. Dréa Rewal Dréa Rewal says:

She’s amazing! Congrats Linds!! You deserve it!

50. Congratulations!!! Great attitude!

51. Carla Strand Carla Strand says:

Omg !!!, hopefully she spend this money wisely !

52. Congrats!..Glad to see someone from scv having some good come

53. Congrats!! It’s about time some good things are happening to good people!

54. LOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO Now you can buy me an effing tamagochi.

55. Congratulations! Good for you!

56. I am very happy 4 u . I hope u have a very nice life. B very careful people will come out of the woodwork wanting 2 b ur friend. Get u a good Attourney & financial advisor u can trust. Enjoy ur money & have fun sweetie. I wish u the best. What place did u buy ticket? I have been playing 4 a couple months now. I never played in past. -/:D Dorothy

57. Casey Gault Casey Gault says:

Lol first millionaire from West Ranch

58. Pete Turner says:

As a student, I wonder if she studied lottery history to help her achieve the win! Meanwhile, if you’re interested, I have my own little just-for-fun page which generates my personal quick pick numbers. As I say, it is strictly just for fun, but you never know your luck! Look out for VillaLibra if you want to see if you can locate it.

59. Yahoooo!!! So happy for you Lindsay Grace Sharbutt. U deserve every penny, sweet girl!!!!

60. Congrates to her. May all her dreams come true

61. Well there goes another young person not signing up for Obamacare!!! Congrats

62. CONGRATULATIONS!! My first advice is that you must first talk to a financial adviser don’t let family & friends dictate how you spend your money remember 1M this days don’t go very far if you don’t use wisely,a must for you to start also will be a condominium for under 300K in valencia & save for your college education Good luck.Angel your local REALTOR

63. Invest it and give some to charity

Monday, Aug 3, 2020
‘Elsmere Fire’ Breaks Out Near Newhall Avenue and Highway 14
Los Angeles County firefighters are battling a brushfire, dubbed the Elsmere Fire, that broke out near Newhall Avenue and Highway 14 in Newhall early Monday afternoon.
Monday, Aug 3, 2020
Santa Clarita Marathon Canceled for 2020 Due to COVID-19
The 2020 Santa Clarita Marathon, presented by Parkway Motorcars, has been canceled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and related public health concerns for runners, spectators, volunteers, staff and event partners.
Monday, Aug 3, 2020
Post Fire Held at 120 Acres, Continues to Slow Traffic on Interstate 5
A fast-moving brush fire dubbed the Post Fire scorched more than 100 acres in Gorman Sunday night, while parts of northbound Interstate 5 and Highway 138 remained closed Monday morning.

‘Elsmere Fire’ Breaks Out Near Newhall Avenue and Highway 14
Santa Clarita Marathon Canceled for 2020 Due to COVID-19
Single-use plastics do not break down and contribute to a large portion of the waste found in landfills and in our rivers and oceans.
How to Reduce Waste from Single-Use Plastics
In his August message, Santa Clarita Mayor Cameron Smyth urges residents to prepare for and help prevent dangerous brushfires.
Mayor Smyth’s August Message: Help Prevent Dangerous Brushfires
Recently, Santa Clarita business partners came across something new and useful in the fight against COVID-19: a nano copper film, which provides an extra layer of protection from bacteria and viruses on high-touched surfaces.
Nano Copper Film: A New Weapon in Battle Against COVID-19
Post Fire Held at 120 Acres, Continues to Slow Traffic on Interstate 5
California’s plan to address a backlog of about 1 million unemployment benefit claims could take two months to clear.
SCV Lawmakers Respond to Newsom’s Plan to Clear Backlog of Unemployment Claims
A fast-moving, 170-acre brush fire near Castaic Lake dubbed the Castaic Fire reached 50% containment by Sunday morning, according to Angeles National Forest officials.
Castaic Fire Burns Nearly 180 Acres, 50% Contained
1975 - Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital opens with 100 beds [story]
HMNMH
1935 - Newhall deputy Archie Carter sentenced to 1 year in jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor after his wife fatally shot his 20-year-old mistress (the age of majority was 21). [story]
Archie Carter
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Saturday 50 new deaths and 2,303 new cases of COVID-19, as Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital reported two additional COVID-related deaths to date, bringing SCV’s total to 48.
Saturday COVID-19 Roundup: 2 Additional Deaths at Henry Mayo; California Surpasses 500,000 Cases
Fast-Moving Castaic Fire Erupts to 160 Acres
Fast-Moving Castaic Fire Erupts to 160 Acres
The first shutdown in March was tough for longtime hairdresser Mona Huckaby but the second and current one is worse, she said Saturday.
SCV Salon Workers Hold Reopening Rally
1963 - Leona Cox Community School breaks ground in Canyon Country [story]
Leona Cox
California State University, Northridge administrators informed educators, students and staff Friday that they may have all been affected by a massive security breach suffered this spring by Blackbaud, CSUN's third-party technology provider.
CSUN, Others Possibly Affected by Massive Hack of Tech Provider Blackbaud
Throughout the pandemic, healthcare workers, such as doctors and nurses, on the front lines of the COVID-19 fight have been dubbed heroes.
Henry Mayo’s Darby Kyhl: Frontline Hero of a Different Kind
L.A. County Public Health officials on Friday confirmed 69 new deaths and 2,652 new cases of COVID-19, with 4,380 cases confirmed to date in the Santa Clarita Valley, including 2,152 in the city of Santa Clarita, as California marked the first death of a teen COVID patient.
Friday COVID-19 Roundup: SCV Cases Total 4,380; California Marks First Teen COVID Death
The Santa Clarita Public Library invites city residents of all ages to join the “Imagine Your Story” Photo Contest, with entries due by Monday, August 24.
Santa Clarita Public Library Hosts ‘Imagine Your Story’ Photo Contest
Santa Clarita city mascot Sammy Clarita is excited to participate in the city’s Recycle Hero campaign to break down recycling misconceptions and encourage residents to help the city win the fight to recycle right.
Sammy Clarita is Santa Clarita’s Newest Recycle Hero
A new charter school, Eagle Collegiate Academy, is coming to Acton after the state Board of Education approved the school's petition earlier this month against the recommendation of local, county and state education officials.
Eagle Collegiate Academy Approved as New SCV Charter School
Detectives with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau have started an investigation after the body of a man was found at William S. Hart Park Friday morning.
Man’s Body Found in Restroom at Hart Park; Detectives Investigating
The California High-Speed Rail Authority on Friday extended the public review period for the Burbank to Los Angeles Draft Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement an additional 31 days to Aug. 31, 2020, bringing the total comment period to 94 days.
High-Speed Rail Extends EIR Review Period for Burbank-L.A. Section to Aug. 31
Those working with the Santa Clarita Valley’s homeless population fear the county’s annual count of people in need of housing is once again lower than the actual figure, despite having 30% more people helping in the count.
LAHSA Continues to Struggle with L.A. County Homeless Population Count
A 39-year-old Encino woman was arrested Thursday in Newhall on suspicion of stealing a Budget rental moving truck — the kind of crime that local law enforcement officials say is on the rise amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Woman Arrested on Suspicion of Grand Theft of Budget Rental Truck