Six bands have been selected to perform in the second annual ‘Battle of the Bands’ competition scheduled to take place from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, May 31, at the College of the Canyons Canyon Country campus.
Event sponsor Keyboard Galleria narrowed the pool of nearly 30 applicants down to six featured groups who will have the opportunity to perform at the Battle of the Bands:
- Dos Trios – Dos Trios are a three-piece band comprised of veteran Southern California musicians whose roots can be traced back to the late ‘80s L.A. punk scene. The band shows its influences from Americana to post-punk, yet still manage to maintain a musical style of their own.
- At Our Expense – A six-piece pop-punk/alternative band from the San Fernando Valley. The group has released three EPs including their most recent, “Awake” which debuted in February as part of a month-long residency at White Oak Music in Van Nuys. They have toured up and down the West coast and plan to do so again this summer.
- Scissorhand Syndrome – A three-piece band from North Hills whose styles range from dramatic songs to upbeat party anthems. According to one record label, they are “talented, well-rehearsed musicians who definitely have a hunger for greatness.”
- The Venns –An L.A. based band known for its indie-pop style, evocative lyrics and creative musical turns. The group’s collaborative effort help to blend diverse styles and explores new genres. Their upcoming album, set for release in January 2016, will be a departure from the band’s indie roots to a more electronic-pop sound.
- The Butterfly Gang –A four-piece band that describes itself as a “good ol’ rock ’n’ roll band.” The group merges its myriad of influences to produce unique melodic sounds, complete with the energy of modern alternative rock.
- Bedlam for Barbie –A group of talented high school students from Santa Clarita playing a mix of alternative rock and punk music. The group has already turned heads with its energetic stage performances and musicianship.
At the Battle of the Bands event a panel of industry professionals will cast votes and decide on a winner.
The winning band will receive a $500 first place cash award and have its music played over the airwaves on KHTS-AM 1220.
But the ‘Battle of the Bands’ event isn’t just limited to the musical competition — there’s a little something for everyone.
A classic car show featuring hot rods dating back to the 1960s will be showcased at the event, with fans able to vote on their favorite and help select a winner.
A wide variety of food trucks from around the region will also be on hand, ready to serve food, sweets and frozen treats to the audience.
For families in attendance, students from the COC Associated Student Government (ASG) will host a dedicated play area dedicated to children’s activities.
Free ‘Battle of the Bands’ T-shirts will be handed out to the first 500 guests.
Concertgoers are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs and settle in around the amphitheater for a day filled with music, food and fun!
The event is being sponsored by the COC Associated Student Government, Keyboard Galleria, KHTS-AM 1220 and Remo Inc.
For more information about the 2015 ‘Battle of the Bands’ event please visit www.canyons.edu/ccc.