SACRAMENTO – California Attorney General Becerra filed an expedited motion seeking to block the Trump Administration’s attempt to withhold the Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) federal grant from California. Funded by the federal government, the PSN grant is distributed by the California Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) to local law enforcement agencies to fund crime reduction initiatives. This year, the Trump Administration is attempting to arbitrarily withhold $1.5 million from the State of California, jeopardizing crime fighting resources and undermining the safety of California residents.
“These crude attempts to sabotage California law enforcement are dangerous and risk the safety of our communities,” said Attorney General Becerra. “As our state begins to heal from the devastating fires, our law enforcement agencies and CalOES should be allowed to focus on carrying out their missions, not dealing with threats from the Trump Administration. My office will continue to fight to ensure that our law enforcement agencies have access to critical resources needed to promote public safety.”
In the motion, Attorney General Becerra argues that the U.S. Department of Justice lacks the statutory authority to impose immigration enforcement conditions on Project Safe Neighborhoods funding.
Since August 2017, in California v. Sessions I, Attorney General Becerra has challenged the federal government’s unlawful conditions on federal fiscal year 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) funds. On October 5, 2018, the district court ruled in favor of California, holding that the immigration enforcement conditions were unlawful and unconstitutional. The court also declared that a federal statute (8 U.S.C. § 1373) that prohibits states and local jurisdictions from restricting the sharing of information regarding immigration status to be unconstitutional, and that compliance with that statute cannot be made a condition for federal funding. The Trump Administration asked the court to reconsider that decision to preserve its ability to enforce that unconstitutional law.
On Nov. 20, the court ruled in favor of California once again and prevented the Administration from requiring compliance with 8 U.S.C. 1373 as a condition for federal funding. For this reason, Attorney General Becerra argues that this condition cannot be a basis to withhold funding from California.
In the first four months of 2021, the District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges on 537 Santa Clarita Valley criminal cases — already 156% of the total number of declined cases for the entire previous year.
A virtual town hall Thursday brought together Los Angeles County Public Health officials to answer questions from the public about changes to coronavirus restrictions come Tuesday when California’s “blueprint for a safer economy” expires.
Due to an excessive heat forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley, the city of Santa Clarita will have its three branches of the Santa Clarita Public Library open as cooling centers beginning Tuesday, June 15.
Although they are still awaiting the autopsy results, Los Angeles County Homicide Bureau detectives said they do not believe at this time that foul play resulted in a body being discovered near Castaic Lake on Tuesday.
In an improvement from his critical, yet stable, status last week, the Los Angeles County Fire Department captain hospitalized at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital is in “fair” condition, according to officials.