Clear
Clear

January 23
1882 - Author Helen Hunt Jackson visits Rancho Camulos; inspiration for "Ramona" novel [story]
HH Jackson

Days Inn[KHTS] – There was a dead body found at the Days Inn in Castaic at 1:20 p.m., according to Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Department officials.

“It is a suspected drug overdose,” said Sgt. Konecny.

It is a male in his 20’s, according to coroner officials.

There is no further information at this point.

1. Stay classy Castaic!

2. Stay classy Castaic!

3. Oh brother..what a shallow comment from the classy lady..as if something like that could never happen in her town..someone dies and people make dumb shallow comments.I don’t live in Castaic but that comment was unnecessary. Grow up

4. Oh brother..what a shallow comment from the classy lady..as if something like that could never happen in her town..someone dies and people make dumb shallow comments.I don’t live in Castaic but that comment was unnecessary. Grow up

• I didn’t read all of the comments but did see a few negative. I have lived in Castaic since 94 and I love it here. Yes it could happen anywhere!

• Her name is Kimberly ellis.a few posts down…ridiculous

• Her name is Kimberly ellis.a few posts down…ridiculous

• Don’t get me started, I hate ignorant, stupid people!! That think they are better

• You all realize I’m from Castaic, right? I’m speaking from experience when I say that Castaic isn’t exactly Beverly Hills. It’s a tiny trucker town. There’s prostitutes. It doesn’t surprise me at all that someone passed away of a drug overdose in that hotel.

• Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

Kimberly Ellis maybe we should keep our bad comments to ourselves… It’s not ok to judge if you don’t know what that person was going through… he’s a human been and son of God just like you… this person has family as well… how would you feel if you see negative comments about someone in your family? Specially if that person past away… it’s very sad :'(

• Oh brother… here we go. Lol…Lucy, ignore it…love to all..time to move on. GOD bless you all…

• I just blocked mr.gregory..you can do the same lucy..i see he picked on you earlier..it’s ok to dialog without people being hateful..GOD IS GOOD

• Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Gregory, or anyone: I don’t believe in God, but I respect everyone’s right to do so. When a believer says they will pray for someone, that is truly a high honor. You must realize that to them, that is everything. Their prayers will never hurt anyone, unlike you leaving ugly comments on here might. Consider the fact that the deceased’s parents or loved ones might be reading through these for condolences.

5. Sheila Lopez Sheila Lopez says:

Prayers for him and his family

6. Sheila Lopez Sheila Lopez says:

Prayers for him and his family

7. You act as if everyone in Castaic is scum. You know what they say about assuming things? It makes you an ass. There’s bad eggs everywhere and we are not certain that this was related to any of that nonsense. How about you stop and take a minute to understand that someone has died and now there are those left to grieve.

8. You act as if everyone in Castaic is scum. You know what they say about assuming things? It makes you an ass. There’s bad eggs everywhere and we are not certain that this was related to any of that nonsense. How about you stop and take a minute to understand that someone has died and now there are those left to grieve.

9. They said it’s a suspected drug overdose. That can happen anywhere. Very sad!

10. They said it’s a suspected drug overdose. That can happen anywhere. Very sad!

11. Danny Slimm D Cabrera Elmoe Cabrera Jonathan Cabrera

12. Danny Slimm D Cabrera Elmoe Cabrera Jonathan Cabrera

13. Ashley Allen Ashley Allen says:

Elizabeth Betty Jane Allen

14. Ashley Allen Ashley Allen says:

Elizabeth Betty Jane Allen

15. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

I feel for this family please be kind

16. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

I feel for this family please be kind

17. Drug overdose, male in his 20’s, and in Castaic…. I’m seriously hoping it’s no one I know! I said my heart to the family!

18. Drug overdose, male in his 20’s, and in Castaic…. I’m seriously hoping it’s no one I know! I said my heart to the family!

19. Teddy Hage Teddy Hage says:

John John Diego

20. Teddy Hage Teddy Hage says:

John John Diego

21. Monique Hernandez

22. Monique Hernandez

23. Sorry to hear this, I live in WI and have stayed here twice and am planning on coming back in November. The owners and the staff are very nice, nothing fancy but great for the price. I love the Castaic area.

24. Sorry to hear this, I live in WI and have stayed here twice and am planning on coming back in November. The owners and the staff are very nice, nothing fancy but great for the price. I love the Castaic area.

25. Sandra Stradley… Thoughts

26. Sandra Stradley… Thoughts

27. Asses. I have lived in Castaic 30 years I love it. Haven’t you idiots heard of Hasley cyn. Probably richer than where you negative asses live. I bet your from Valencia

28. Schuyler Thomas Rachel Butts Courtney Sheen

29. Sarah Lubow Sarah Lubow says:

Totally to soon… But still funny

30. Not just in classic……

31. Not just in classic……

32. Ryan Fitz Ryan Fitz says:

No joke my son was conceived at this hotel lol

33. Ryan Fitz Ryan Fitz says:

No joke my son was conceived at this hotel lol

34. Ryan says:

This kid was one of my best friends growing up in high school. We used to party all the time. Sadly he started using after high school and he’s tried so hard to get clean but it’s so hard to quit this drug from hell. I still can’t believe this. He texted me a couple hours before this happened and I replied but he didn’t answer. I’m still in shock. This is unbelievable. Rip

• Krissy Ball says:

You insensitive people… shame on you. This young man’s name was Arseny and my son was a classmate of his in 4th grade at Legacy Academy. Arseny was a sweet boy with chubby cheeks and a constant smile on his face. I will always remember him as a happy boy wearing his school uniform and smiling a big smile. Now excuse me while I go wipe away my tears…

35. he saw the body or he saw it happen? Jonathan Cabrera

36. he saw the body or he saw it happen? Jonathan Cabrera

37. Drug overdoses are very common In motels …in any town

38. Keep the family involved in your thoughts and prayers.

39. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

It’s not funny

40. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

How can people jk in situations like this… very sad

41. Never funny when you lose a loved one. Someone is hurting be sympathetic gees.

42. Emily Kurt Emily Kurt says:

I almost worked at the front desk there.

43. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

So sad… prayers and condolences to the family :'(

44. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

And people need to stop being so cruel

45. Dan Donihue Dan Donihue says:

Stayci Donihue…

46. Rip Arseny
    miss you brotha.
    such a young beautiful life cut short, You will be missed.

47. So very sad, my prayers go out to the victims family. And also to those making rude comments. Someone died have some respect Kimberly Ellis.

48. Jake Borg Jake Borg says:

i always kind of figured this would happen

49. Sending prayers to the family

50. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Our thoughts are with his family.

51. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Death is a sensitive subject, and on the internet you have no idea who might read your comment. Would you tell his parents who saw your joke to stop being so sensitive?

52. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Did you guys stop to think that the deceased’s parents or loved ones might be reading these comments for condolences? Good job making light of a tragedy for others. I’m certain if you were involved in this situation you wouldn’t be making jokes.

53. Eric says:

Druggies will die…better him than him killing someone for drug money

54. Shirley says:

RIP.

55. How sad for this young man family. Prayers for them. I live in Castaic and it’s a great place. These situations can happen anywhere.

56. what a sad, lonely way to go.

57. I’ve been told that this hotel is where kids go to party. I live in Castaic and have been told that by several kids. This hotel needs to screen or patrol to make sure no parties are go in on.

58. Faith Stroup Slusher, eeekkkkk

59. Brooke Stice says:

R.I.P Arseny. I remember classes with you. You were hilarious and always kept me laughing and smiling. It was amazing to have gotten to know you. Fly high. You will forever be missed.

60. Oh my gosh , thank you for sharing

61. Oh my gosh , thank you for sharing

62. Logan Titner Logan Titner says:

Branden Vanderput

63. Logan Titner Logan Titner says:

Branden Vanderput

64. Kathy says:

Here’s an idea little children if you want to banter back and forth go on your own social media and give this family some respect. Disgraceful that so many think everything is always about them. It’s NOT. Grow up and shut up. No one cares what you think. As I said it NOT about you.

65. Paddie E says:

Does anybody know the name of the 20-year-old boy who died at the Days Inn motel in Castaic ?

66. It makes me sick to read this, If he was with someone that left him behind I hope the police go after them. I can’t even understand why they wouldn’t call for help.

• Kathy says:

My thought exactly Anna. But my guess is they will want to cover their own ass. Many have no idea what the true meaning of the word “friend” is or they would of tried to intervene instead of participate. Nothing good can EVER come from doing drugs. So young now all his hopes and dreams are gone. So sad and a waste of what could of been a beautiful life if drugs had not taken a role in his life.

67. Erin Griffin says:

Family and friends have read these comments and for those of you who posted rude comments I just pray that the disease of addiction never touches your family. It’s no respecter of social, economic, racial or any other differences. It devastates and destroys families. Try educating yourself on the disease. For those of you that send prayers and good wishes – Thank you and God Bless.

Friday, Jan 21, 2022
High-Speed Rail Board Clears Final Environmental Hurdles to Advance Service into L.A.
The California High-Speed Rail Authority Board of Directors today unanimously approved the Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement for the approximately 14-mile Burbank to Los Angeles project section.
Thursday, Jan 20, 2022
Evelyn Ku Named Henry Mayo’s VP, Chief Nursing Officer
Evelyn Ku, MSN, RN, has been named Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital.
Thursday, Jan 20, 2022
Thursday COVID Roundup: SCV Cases Top 62,000
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday 102 additional deaths and 42,115 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 62, 566 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.

HH Jackson
Los Angeles County Assessor Jeff Prang announced a corroborative effort with County Public Health officials that will include free COVID-19 vaccinations, booster shots, and PCR testing at three District Offices on Monday Jan. 24, Wednesday Jan. 26 and Sunday Jan. 30.
Free COVID PCR Testing, Vaccines Offered at L.A. County Assessor Offices
1839 - Gov. Juan B. Alvarado gives most of SCV to Mexican Army Lt. Antonio del Valle. [story]
Diseno map
The Castaic Union School District is proud to announce that the Jene Fielder Trust Scholarship Program is now accepting applications. The program is open to past and present students of Castaic Middle School.
Castaic Union School District Announces Jene Fielder Trust Scholarship Program
The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control will teams up with Best Friends Animal Society to encourage county residents to “Live Large” with Adopt a Big Dog Special Discounts for large dogs through Jan. 31.
L.A. County Animal Care & Control Offers Big Dog Adoption Discounts
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Friday 65 additional deaths and 43,091 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 63,320 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday COVID Roundup: Additional COVID Death Reported at Henry Mayo
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board unanimously approved the appointment of Dr. Gwendolyn Delgado as the newest assistant principal at Golden Valley High School.
Dr. Gwendolyn Delgado Named Newest Assistant Principal at Golden Valley High School
The Zonta Club of Santa Clarita is holding a "Yum-Raiser" for Valentine’s Day. Safely and easily send boxes of chocolate for delivery to your friends and family from See’s Candies.
Zonta Club of SCV Holds Online Sees Candies ‘Yum-Raiser’
A job fair will be held to recruit for a variety of positions at America’s Job Center of California for North Los Angeles County Regional Center on Thursday, Jan. 27 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Jan. 27 Job Recruitment Fair for North Los Angeles County Regional Center
A musical fundraiser to benefit the Saugus Dance program at Saugus High School will be held 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 22 at the Smokehouse on Main, 24255 Main St., Newhall, CA 91355.
Jan. 22: Dark Desert Highway, Smokehouse on Main Hosting Fundraiser for Saugus Dance
Starting Monday, Jan. 24, crews will begin construction of a new curb, gutter and sidewalk along portions of the east side of Sierra Highway, north of Soledad Canyon Road.
Lane, Road Closures Begin Monday for Sierra Highway Sidewalk Construction
Experience Helen Hunt Jackson’s January 23, 1882 visit to Rancho Camulos which inspired her to include this vestige of the Californio lifestyle as one of the settings for her novel Ramona. Reenactors will engage and delight you as they portray this event which forever changed the peaceful life at Rancho Camulos.
Jan. 29: Helen Hunt Jackson Returns to Rancho Camulos
1914 - Signal newspaper owner-editor Scott Newhall born in San Francisco [story]
Scott Newhall
Do you like comedy? Do you like music? Do you like getting root canals?
Impulse Hosting Comedy, Music Night
Coming off a first-place winning streak at competitions in New York and Washington, D.C., earlier in 2021, the CSUN Model United Nations team continues to accumulate achievements after scoring another first place finish with the Outstanding Delegation Award in the Northwest Model UN Conference, which took place Nov. 19-21 in Seattle.
Matadors Pull off Clean Sweep at Model UN Competitions
Freshman guard Monique Febles poured in a season-high 23 points as No. 6 College of the Canyons was able to outlast Antelope Valley College 68-62 at the Cougar Cage in the 2021-22 home opener.
Lady Cougars Hold off AVC in Home Opener
Evelyn Ku Named Henry Mayo’s VP, Chief Nursing Officer
Thursday COVID Roundup: SCV Cases Top 62,000
The California Department of Transportation has rescheduled the Friday, Jan. 21 - Monday, Jan. 24 closure of the eastbound Interstate 210 in Sylmar.
Caltrans Reschedules I-210 Weekend Closure
1993 - Hart High grad Dee Dee Myers (1979) becomes first female White House press secretary [story]
Dee Dee Myers
California State University, Northridge was given two honors from the National Opera Association, officials said Tuesday.
CSUN Productions Wins Honors From National Opera Association
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Tuesday 59 additional deaths and 30,081 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 61,584 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID Roundup: Positivity Rates in Schools See Decline
Harbor Group International, LLC and Azure Partners, LLC  announced earlier this month, their joint venture for the acquisition of Jefferson Vista Canyon, a 480-unit, Class A apartment community in Santa Clarita.
International Property Management Group Acquires Local Apartment Community