Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

November 29
1957 - Incorporation of Mint Canyon Chamber of Commerce; became Canyon Country Chamber [story]
Frontier Days

Days Inn[KHTS] – There was a dead body found at the Days Inn in Castaic at 1:20 p.m., according to Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Department officials.

“It is a suspected drug overdose,” said Sgt. Konecny.

It is a male in his 20’s, according to coroner officials.

There is no further information at this point.

1. Stay classy Castaic!

2. Stay classy Castaic!

3. Oh brother..what a shallow comment from the classy lady..as if something like that could never happen in her town..someone dies and people make dumb shallow comments.I don’t live in Castaic but that comment was unnecessary. Grow up

4. Oh brother..what a shallow comment from the classy lady..as if something like that could never happen in her town..someone dies and people make dumb shallow comments.I don’t live in Castaic but that comment was unnecessary. Grow up

• I didn’t read all of the comments but did see a few negative. I have lived in Castaic since 94 and I love it here. Yes it could happen anywhere!

• Her name is Kimberly ellis.a few posts down…ridiculous

• Her name is Kimberly ellis.a few posts down…ridiculous

• Don’t get me started, I hate ignorant, stupid people!! That think they are better

• You all realize I’m from Castaic, right? I’m speaking from experience when I say that Castaic isn’t exactly Beverly Hills. It’s a tiny trucker town. There’s prostitutes. It doesn’t surprise me at all that someone passed away of a drug overdose in that hotel.

• Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

Kimberly Ellis maybe we should keep our bad comments to ourselves… It’s not ok to judge if you don’t know what that person was going through… he’s a human been and son of God just like you… this person has family as well… how would you feel if you see negative comments about someone in your family? Specially if that person past away… it’s very sad :'(

• Oh brother… here we go. Lol…Lucy, ignore it…love to all..time to move on. GOD bless you all…

• I just blocked mr.gregory..you can do the same lucy..i see he picked on you earlier..it’s ok to dialog without people being hateful..GOD IS GOOD

• Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Gregory, or anyone: I don’t believe in God, but I respect everyone’s right to do so. When a believer says they will pray for someone, that is truly a high honor. You must realize that to them, that is everything. Their prayers will never hurt anyone, unlike you leaving ugly comments on here might. Consider the fact that the deceased’s parents or loved ones might be reading through these for condolences.

5. Sheila Lopez Sheila Lopez says:

Prayers for him and his family

6. Sheila Lopez Sheila Lopez says:

Prayers for him and his family

7. You act as if everyone in Castaic is scum. You know what they say about assuming things? It makes you an ass. There’s bad eggs everywhere and we are not certain that this was related to any of that nonsense. How about you stop and take a minute to understand that someone has died and now there are those left to grieve.

8. You act as if everyone in Castaic is scum. You know what they say about assuming things? It makes you an ass. There’s bad eggs everywhere and we are not certain that this was related to any of that nonsense. How about you stop and take a minute to understand that someone has died and now there are those left to grieve.

9. They said it’s a suspected drug overdose. That can happen anywhere. Very sad!

10. They said it’s a suspected drug overdose. That can happen anywhere. Very sad!

11. Danny Slimm D Cabrera Elmoe Cabrera Jonathan Cabrera

12. Danny Slimm D Cabrera Elmoe Cabrera Jonathan Cabrera

13. Ashley Allen Ashley Allen says:

Elizabeth Betty Jane Allen

14. Ashley Allen Ashley Allen says:

Elizabeth Betty Jane Allen

15. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

I feel for this family please be kind

16. Lisa Bright Lisa Bright says:

I feel for this family please be kind

17. Drug overdose, male in his 20’s, and in Castaic…. I’m seriously hoping it’s no one I know! I said my heart to the family!

18. Drug overdose, male in his 20’s, and in Castaic…. I’m seriously hoping it’s no one I know! I said my heart to the family!

19. Teddy Hage Teddy Hage says:

John John Diego

20. Teddy Hage Teddy Hage says:

John John Diego

21. Monique Hernandez

22. Monique Hernandez

23. Sorry to hear this, I live in WI and have stayed here twice and am planning on coming back in November. The owners and the staff are very nice, nothing fancy but great for the price. I love the Castaic area.

24. Sorry to hear this, I live in WI and have stayed here twice and am planning on coming back in November. The owners and the staff are very nice, nothing fancy but great for the price. I love the Castaic area.

25. Sandra Stradley… Thoughts

26. Sandra Stradley… Thoughts

27. Asses. I have lived in Castaic 30 years I love it. Haven’t you idiots heard of Hasley cyn. Probably richer than where you negative asses live. I bet your from Valencia

28. Schuyler Thomas Rachel Butts Courtney Sheen

29. Sarah Lubow Sarah Lubow says:

Totally to soon… But still funny

30. Not just in classic……

31. Not just in classic……

32. Ryan Fitz Ryan Fitz says:

No joke my son was conceived at this hotel lol

33. Ryan Fitz Ryan Fitz says:

No joke my son was conceived at this hotel lol

34. Ryan says:

This kid was one of my best friends growing up in high school. We used to party all the time. Sadly he started using after high school and he’s tried so hard to get clean but it’s so hard to quit this drug from hell. I still can’t believe this. He texted me a couple hours before this happened and I replied but he didn’t answer. I’m still in shock. This is unbelievable. Rip

• Krissy Ball says:

You insensitive people… shame on you. This young man’s name was Arseny and my son was a classmate of his in 4th grade at Legacy Academy. Arseny was a sweet boy with chubby cheeks and a constant smile on his face. I will always remember him as a happy boy wearing his school uniform and smiling a big smile. Now excuse me while I go wipe away my tears…

35. he saw the body or he saw it happen? Jonathan Cabrera

36. he saw the body or he saw it happen? Jonathan Cabrera

37. Drug overdoses are very common In motels …in any town

38. Keep the family involved in your thoughts and prayers.

39. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

It’s not funny

40. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

How can people jk in situations like this… very sad

41. Never funny when you lose a loved one. Someone is hurting be sympathetic gees.

42. Emily Kurt Emily Kurt says:

I almost worked at the front desk there.

43. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

So sad… prayers and condolences to the family :'(

44. Lucy Romero Lucy Romero says:

And people need to stop being so cruel

45. Dan Donihue Dan Donihue says:

Stayci Donihue…

46. Rip Arseny
    miss you brotha.
    such a young beautiful life cut short, You will be missed.

47. So very sad, my prayers go out to the victims family. And also to those making rude comments. Someone died have some respect Kimberly Ellis.

48. Jake Borg Jake Borg says:

i always kind of figured this would happen

49. Sending prayers to the family

50. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Our thoughts are with his family.

51. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Death is a sensitive subject, and on the internet you have no idea who might read your comment. Would you tell his parents who saw your joke to stop being so sensitive?

52. Tony Dean Tony Dean says:

Did you guys stop to think that the deceased’s parents or loved ones might be reading these comments for condolences? Good job making light of a tragedy for others. I’m certain if you were involved in this situation you wouldn’t be making jokes.

53. Eric says:

Druggies will die…better him than him killing someone for drug money

54. Shirley says:

RIP.

55. How sad for this young man family. Prayers for them. I live in Castaic and it’s a great place. These situations can happen anywhere.

56. what a sad, lonely way to go.

57. I’ve been told that this hotel is where kids go to party. I live in Castaic and have been told that by several kids. This hotel needs to screen or patrol to make sure no parties are go in on.

58. Faith Stroup Slusher, eeekkkkk

59. Brooke Stice says:

R.I.P Arseny. I remember classes with you. You were hilarious and always kept me laughing and smiling. It was amazing to have gotten to know you. Fly high. You will forever be missed.

60. Oh my gosh , thank you for sharing

61. Oh my gosh , thank you for sharing

62. Logan Titner Logan Titner says:

Branden Vanderput

63. Logan Titner Logan Titner says:

Branden Vanderput

64. Kathy says:

Here’s an idea little children if you want to banter back and forth go on your own social media and give this family some respect. Disgraceful that so many think everything is always about them. It’s NOT. Grow up and shut up. No one cares what you think. As I said it NOT about you.

65. Paddie E says:

Does anybody know the name of the 20-year-old boy who died at the Days Inn motel in Castaic ?

66. It makes me sick to read this, If he was with someone that left him behind I hope the police go after them. I can’t even understand why they wouldn’t call for help.

• Kathy says:

My thought exactly Anna. But my guess is they will want to cover their own ass. Many have no idea what the true meaning of the word “friend” is or they would of tried to intervene instead of participate. Nothing good can EVER come from doing drugs. So young now all his hopes and dreams are gone. So sad and a waste of what could of been a beautiful life if drugs had not taken a role in his life.

67. Erin Griffin says:

Family and friends have read these comments and for those of you who posted rude comments I just pray that the disease of addiction never touches your family. It’s no respecter of social, economic, racial or any other differences. It devastates and destroys families. Try educating yourself on the disease. For those of you that send prayers and good wishes – Thank you and God Bless.

Monday, Nov 29, 2021
Homicide Detectives Search Chiquita Canyon for Missing Woman
Detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department’s Robbery-Homicide Division searched the Chiquita Canyon Landfill Monday to investigate the disappearance of Heidi Planck, who was reported missing by her ex-husband on Oct. 20, 2021.
Monday, Nov 29, 2021
Circle of Hope Taking Part in Giving Tuesday
Circle of Hope is joining the national day of generosity, #GivingTuesday, on Dec. 1.
Monday, Nov 29, 2021
Monday COVID Roundup: SCV Tops 39,000 Total Cases
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Monday 10 new deaths and 794 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 39,063 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.

The city of Santa Clarita is holding virtual meeting regarding the Santa Clarita Arts/Culture and Veterans Center Needs Assessment on Wednesday, Dec. 1, at 6:00 p.m.
Dec. 1: City’s Arts/Culture, Veterans Center Needs Assessment Meeting
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office released the 14 productions currently filming in the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Monday, Nov. 29 - Sunday, Dec. 5
Filming in Santa Clarita Includes 14 Productions
Looking for ways to add a little green into your landscape?
SCV Water’s Upcoming Gardening Class to Highlight Trees, Shrubs
Homicide Detectives Search Chiquita Canyon for Missing Woman
Circle of Hope Taking Part in Giving Tuesday
Monday COVID Roundup: SCV Tops 39,000 Total Cases
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital’s Community Education Department is again offering the Prevent T2 National Diabetes Prevention Program, a lifestyle change program that helps those who are at risk of developing diabetes reduce their blood sugar, lose weight, and reverse prediabetes.
Diabetes Prevention Program Returning to Henry Mayo
Frontier Days
1950 - CalArts grad Ed Harris ("A Beautiful Mind," "Apollo 13," "Westworld") born in New Jersey [link]
Ed Harris
1941 - Funeral for "our" Remi Nadeau, whose Canyon Country deer park became North Oaks [story]
Remi Nadeau
Volunteers are needed to help make fresh garland and vintage-style decorations for the Antelope Valley Indian Museum in preparation for Holidays on the Homestead.
Antelope Valley Indian Museum Looking for Volunteers to Decorate for the Holidays
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials confirmed Friday 29 new deaths and 2,073 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 38,955 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday COVID Roundup: County Releases Data from the Last 7 Days
Find something for everyone at the various events happening in Santa Clarita this holiday season including Six Flags Magic Mountain's magical winter experience, an international film festival and holiday shows.
City Highlights Activities for Holiday Fun in Santa Clarita
The city of Santa Clarita's Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission will hold its Regular Meeting Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:00 p.m.
Dec. 2: Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission Regular Meeting
1916 - A score of Wobblies bust up Newhall Jail after commandeering SP freight train [story]
Wobblies logo
The Antelope Valley Indian Museum announced it will host the 10th annual Holidays on the Homestead celebration on Saturday, Dec, 4 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Dec. 4: Antelope Valley Indian Museum Invites All to 10th Annual ‘Holidays on the Homestead’
Every November in honor of National Family Caregiver Month, Los Angeles County Department Of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services (WDACS) recognizes the important role of Los Angeles County's caregivers who provide essential care, support and medical assistance to older and dependent adults.
WDACS Celebrates Caregivers in LA County
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health shared how to avoid foodborne illness, also known as food poisoning, with families celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday.
Public Health Shares Safe Food Preparation Tips for the Holidays
The Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management announced it will be on high alert due to the potential of very strong winds and fire weather conditions that will impact much of our County through Friday morning.
County Residents Urged to Stay Vigilant as Strong Winds, Fire Weather Forecasted
Just in time for this Thanksgiving holiday, Samuel Dixon Family Health Center, Inc., in partnership with Christy Smith and Grocery Outlet, donated turkeys, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, green beans and additional non-perishables for their annual Thanksgiving Dinner Event on Tuesday, Nov. 23.
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center Shares Thanksgiving Dinners to Families in Need
1875 - Vasquez lieutenant Clodoveo Chavez reportedly killed by bounty hunters in Arizona Territory [story]
Clodoveo Chavez story
The season of giving is here, and the Department of Public Social Services  is encouraging the public to consider sponsoring a family as part of its annual holiday Adopt-A-Family Program benefiting low-income families throughout the County of Los Angeles.
Social Services Urges Others to ‘Adopt-A-Family’
It’s time to clean our closets for charity and support the Flair Cleaners 19th Annual Holiday Clothing and Shoe Drive Nov. 26 through Dec. 31, 2021.
Flair Cleaners Holiday Clothing Drive Returns for 19th Year