Sunny
Sunny

October 3
1918 - Box-office superstar William S. Hart promotes 4th series of Liberty Loan (World War I) bonds, which went on sale Sept. 28 [story]
William S. Hart

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014

darrylmanzer_blacktie“What happened to Thanksgiving?” “Why are Christmas decorations up already?” “Is the City Council just plain crazy?”

Let’s put this in perspective, folks: There is a brutal war in the Middle East that has beheading people as a prime method of “sending a message.” Gunmen kill at least four people in a synagogue in Jerusalem. The governor of Missouri has activated the National Guard anticipating violence in Ferguson and possibly St. Louis. Chiquita Canyon Landfill is accepting toxic waste and paying off agencies and organizations in our little valley, claiming the dump is a good neighbor. The Cemex problem still looms. And Christmas decorations are up in Old Town Newhall.

OMG. Stop the presses. Spreading a little joy and merriment is now wrong?

Nothing has happened to Thanksgiving. It still occupies the same spot on the calendar. We are not going to forget it, either. It is still a day of prayer and thanksgiving to God. Oh, no. Did I say “God?” You bet.

So we’re going to limit Thanksgiving and Christmas to a certain period of time on a calendar originally established by the Romans and modified by a Roman Catholic pope? I don’t remember anyone requiring the joy of both holidays to be confined to a single month or week or day.

Just why do folks want to complain that decorations up “too soon” ruin another holiday? How about we celebrate both occasions every day? Putting up some decorations in Newhall is most appropriate.

Fact is, Christians really don’t know when Jesus was born. We aren’t sure of the year, let alone the month and the date. The fact for billions of people on this Earth is that He was born. It is an event of great joy. Makes me want to celebrate every day of the year.

xmas2014lightsBefore we worry about “Christmas creep” and wonder if soon all holidays following Labor Day will be swallowed by Christmas, let’s remember the joy. Do we forget Veterans Day? No. Thanksgiving? No. The joy of Christmas? No, not at all.

Someone stated that it would be cheaper to give each business in downtown Newhall $20,000 and let them decorate or do whatever with the money. Well, guess what? That person has never been to Newhall. Can’t have been there. Her method would cost the city over a half-million dollars. Guess she thinks there are fewer than five shops in all of downtown Newhall, because she said $100,000 for the decorations was too much.

Commercialization of Christmas? Hey, that cow left the barn years ago. Look at movies. Remember the old version of “Miracle on 34th Street” from 1947? It was about a department-store Santa. Yep, the good old days were selling Christmas – but were they?

The lyrics to a Christmas song state, “We need a little Christmas” – and we do. We need a lot of it right now.

I love to see the decorations up in Newhall. My life isn’t going the way I had planned. One thing that makes me laugh is to know what I had planned must make God laugh all the more. My plans provide Him with a lot of laughter, I’m sure.

You see, the job I wanted I am now medically disqualified from, because the glaucoma I have has advanced in my right eye. That goes along with my diabetes. At least I am still decreasing my weight. So Monday, after a training session I no longer need, I was driving back through Newhall and saw the decorations. My spirits were lifted just a little – well, a lot.

It brought back memories of shopping in Newhall for what little I could buy my sisters, mother and father, and others, as gifts. Store windows had Christmas scenes painted on them, many with very religious content. Most places would wrap those gifts and make sure I got the tags made out before I forgot. In the background, all manner of Christmas carols could be heard.

Yes, those memories were from times just after Thanksgiving, but what does it matter? Yesterday I needed to see those decorations. My life has taken a turn in a direction I’m not sure of and am just a little afraid about.

I regret I didn’t attend the lighting event for downtown Newhall. I was too busy preparing for the class I just had and, by the way, passed. I am once again a certified radar observer. Don’t have a need for it now.

Some say the decorations are going up too soon and cost too much. Others say the city should own them and have city workers take a week to put them up. There are those who don’t think they should go up at all. Well, having heard the debate of the last two years, it turns out the city looked at the alternatives. A professional company is cheaper, and we get the lights and decorations for a longer period. Using city workers who have far too many other things to do isn’t really an option, since the cost of the workers and the decorations would be nearly double.

But let me tell you: For me and a lot of other people, those decorations did the job Monday night. They gave me hope that all was going to be well in my life. I was able to realize that the “problem” of decorations going up before Thanksgiving was a very small and insignificant one.

Yes, Monday night was a pretty horrible evening until I drove through Newhall, roundabout and all. We all need a little Christmas. I’m ready for Thanksgiving now. My grandkids are coming. I’m going to Disneyland with them next week, so I’ve got another Christmas before Thanksgiving coming up.

Just in case you didn’t know, Disneyland has had Christmas decorations up for nearly a month. Where are the protests about that?

Am I being selfish about the Newhall decorations’ effect on me? Yes, a little. I’ll bet there are many like me who can use a little Christmas all year long. In fact, I know there are a lot of folks who need it.

Forget the dates on the calendar. Forget the debate about decorations. Feel what is in your heart and not your head. Yes, Merry Christmas, folks. Go to Newhall to see the lights. Stop for dinner at any of the restaurants. (No chain restaurants in downtown Newhall.) Toast a little and enjoy the Christmas spirit.

Don’t eat too much, because you don’t want to spoil the forgotten holiday – Thanksgiving.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com. His older commentaries are archived at DManzer.com; his newer commentaries can be accessed [here]. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Cathy says:

I totally agree with you Darryl.
    The one thing people over look when complaining about decorations being up too early is, it takes lots of time and volunteers to make it look nice. I have already been decorating for Christmas Open House at the Historical Society (since Nov.8th). The Open House is Dec. 6th. That leaves me only a few weekends to decorate. To all of those complainers about Thanksgiving being forgotten… you are dead wrong. As a retired grocery worker, Thanksgiving is not forgotten in the least. That is the busiest time of the year for us. Because every American celebrates Thanksgiving, and not all celebrate Christmas. The worst thing about the holidays is the big corporations keep their business open. Thanksgiving and Christmas WERE mandatory days off. Now most places seem to be open (greed). I hated to work one minute of Thanksgiving and Christmas. (yes, I was the grumpy cashier forced to work on Thanksgiving) So put up the decorations early, they make me smile too.

2. Karina Diaz Karina Diaz says:

The world has become such a hard and difficult place, there’s nothing wrong with putting up decorations and spreading joy! :)

3. Steve Petzold says:

The photo reminds me that the city still has not credited George Massie for the quotation on the window that appears over the Christmas Tree.

4. Steve Petzold says:

It has been a year since Ken Striplin told me that credit would be given, as of about a month ago I failed to see it. For a short time they wrote his name on a piece of paper and put it on the 1st floor wall.

5. nicely written Darryl……happy holidays to you and yours

6. Jeanne says:

I love the Christmas decorations too. I just don’t like to see them before Halloween!
    Before Thanksgiving is fine.

I do like Thanksgiving decorations though and my house is decorated inside and out for that holiday first, then Christmas goes up the on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I wish some of the shopping malls would update their tired faded decorations in the parking lots though.

7. Ray Soto Ray Soto says:

For how politically correct people are about Christmas, I’m just happy there’s decorations going up at all.

8. Sharon Ventrice says:

Darryl, I LOVE Christmas decorations, no matter when they go up. I have a little fiber optics Christmas tree plugged into my computer 365 days a year… so shame on me? And MERRY CHRISTMAS! I will be praying for you for returning health. Hope you get a chance to join us at the Veterans Historical Plaza at 6PM on December 7th for the Military Honor Christmas Tree Lighting!It has pictures of Veterans and Active Military all over it and we’d love to have your picture there as well. Send one to prayerangelsforthemilitary@yahoo.com and we will put you on the Christmas Tree!!
    Great article! Thanks.

9. Terry says:

loved this article…That you.And thank you for mentioning GOD. Without HIM,Im sunk…Merry Thanksgiving and Happy Christmas…Oh wait..Reverse that, or does it really matter :)

10. I loved this article. And Thanks for mentioning GOD. Without HIM Im sunk!!

11. Jeannie Fay Jeannie Fay says:

I love this article.

12. Steve Petzold says:

The unmentioned issue is that it is really Holiday creep masquerading around as Christmas. Why does the City have to underwrite a light show on Main St ?

13. Eli Diaz Eli Diaz says:

Awwww my city, miss you :’)

14. Eli Diaz Eli Diaz says:

Awwww my city, miss you :’)

15. Eli Diaz Eli Diaz says:

Awwww my city, miss you :’)

16. Silvie Faust Silvie Faust says:

God bless america and our city beautiful tree.

17. Silvie Faust Silvie Faust says:

God bless america and our city beautiful tree.

18. This article is hilariously off point. Christmas can kiss my booty until the day AFTER Thanksgiving. Period.

19. This article is hilariously off point. Christmas can kiss my booty until the day AFTER Thanksgiving. Period.

20. <3! What a great perspective and reminder.

21. Paolo Odone Paolo Odone says:

happy holidays to you!

22. Horrible things will continue to happen until God Almighty says “Enough” Then Jesus

23. Evelyne Vandersande says:

I was there when the lights went on for the first time and it was magical. Just enjoy the beauty, come in the evening to see the lights and live in the moment. Being happy even for a little while is a pretty good way to live.

24. It is time that Thanksgiving be given the respect it deserves. Seriously. The city council needs to review the history of this United States.

25. Relax Darryl, it’s holiday time. Focus on happy thoughts. Sing a song. Eat pie. Buy a present for someone for no reason except to make them happy. Stores are hiring people, selling a bunch of stuff no one needs and paying city taxes. That keeps you working too. Say a prayer and be kind.

26. Sharon Ventrice says:

OOPS… MILITARY HONOR CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING IS DECEMBER 6th, SATURDAY!!!!!

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Oct 3, 2022
Happy October. Our September events were so much fun. We had a really great Chat & Chill with guest speaker Syian Wignal of Real Way Foundation.
Monday, Oct 3, 2022
One of the most anticipated events of the year is coming to the Canyon Country Community Center on Oct. 27.
Thursday, Sep 29, 2022
We began our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism (EDIA) journey nearly two years ago, and while the path ahead was not clearly defined, Health Services leadership was enthusiastically joined by workforce members across our health enterprise in a united commitment to creating a more welcoming, inclusive and proactively anti-racist health care system for our patients, staff and the communities we serve.
Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022
Recent media reports about overcrowding and lack of exercise for dogs at some other Los Angeles area animal shelters has prompted discussions about animal shelter population management. This is a key operational issue for animal shelters and deserving of the public’s attention.
Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022
As summer comes to an end, we can only hope that the extreme heat will also be ending soon! Crazy weather! The hospital is preparing for a very busy remainder of the year with many exciting ways for our community to get involved, from our Breast Cancer Awareness Month, including Bingo or Bust, to the Holiday Home Tour Gala and Boutique.
Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022
Since the city of Santa Clarita’s incorporation in 1987, your City Council has made protecting our local environment a top priority.

For the first time since 2020, the Los Angeles County Child Support Services Department is offering its Employer Workshop on child support requirements live in La Mirada on Thursday, Oct. 13.
Oct. 13: Employer Workshop on Child Support Requirements
Calling all Transylvanians! Join the city of Santa Clarita for a screening of the cult classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at The Centre on Oct. 28 or Oct. 29.
Oct. 28-29: Rocky Horror Picture Show Screening
Join the city of Santa Clarita and explore your creative side this ARTober in celebration of National Arts and Humanities Month.
Santa Clarita Unveils ARTober Lineup
The city of Santa Clarita is honored to once again be named as a 2022 finalist for the prestigious award of “Most Business-Friendly City” by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation.
Santa Clarita Named Finalist for “Most Business-Friendly City”
Message from JCI Santa Clarita Chapter President
The city of Santa Clarita Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission will hold its regular meeting Thursday, Oct. 6, at 6 p.m.
Oct. 6: Parks, Recreation Commission Regular Meeting
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, with the help of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Tactics and Survival unit, LASD Special Enforcement Bureau, and the Los Angeles County Fire Department, will be taking part in active shooter training Monday at Valencia High School.
SCV Sheriff’s Station Announces Active Shooter Drill at Valencia High School
Santa Clarita Mayor’s Monthly Message – October 2022
The California Nurses Association, a union with more than 100,000 members in the state, applauds California Govenor Gavin Newsom’s decision to sign S.B. 1334 into law, guaranteeing enforceable breaks for public-sector and University of California workers who provide or support direct patient care in a hospital, clinic, or public health setting.
California Nurses Applaud Law Guaranteeing Breaks for Hospital Workers
A federal grant is helping the California Highway Patrol increase pedestrian and bicyclist safety throughout the state.
New CHP Grant Highlights Pedestrian, Bicycle Safety
On Friday, Oct. 1, the California Department of Public Health provided a weekly update on the state’s monkeypox outbreak and response.
State Public Health Officials Provide Monkeypox Update
William S. Hart
1945 - Cattle-rustling "Phantom of Vasquez Rocks" captured [story]
Phantom suspect
1842 - Proof of discovery: New York Observer (newspaper) reports on gold in Placerita Canyon. [story]
New York Observer
Sixteen William S. Hart Union High School District 2022/23 Teachers of the Year were recognized by the Governing Board on Wednesday, Sept. 28.
Hart District Teachers of the Year Honored by Board
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed six new deaths throughout L.A. County, 1,682 new cases countywide and 100 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday COVID Roundup: Seven Day Average of County Case Counts Declines 8 Percent
The HOV, High Occupancy Vehicle, or carpool, lanes are open on I-5 in both directions between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street.
I-5 Corridor Improvement Work Continues, SR-134  to Buena Vista Street
Two recent graduates of CalArts’ MFA Experimental Animation Program, Moon (Yuezhu) Wang and Dairys Escoto De León, have been selected for the 2022-23 Association for Independent Colleges of Art and Design Post-Graduate Teaching Fellowships.
CalArts Alums Selected for AICAD Teaching Fellowships
Join Route 66 Classic Grill for the longest monthly Classic Car Show in Southern California history. The last show of 2022 will be held Oct. 8 from 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Oct. 8: Route 66 Classic Grill Classic Car Show
Los Angeles County’s new Veteran Suicide Review Team met for the first time Thursday, Sept. 29, kick-starting an innovative and collaborative approach to reducing veteran suicide in the county.
L.A. County’s New Veteran Suicide Review Team Begins Work
Agua Dulce Winery will host StompFest on Saturday, Oct. 1 at noon.
Oct. 1: StompFest at Agua Dulce Winery
Do you want to create a post on Facebook and Instagram at the same time? Learn to schedule posts, respond to comments and inbox messages from one place by attending this free Small Business Development Center webinar, "Manage Your Social Media Platform, Meta Business Suite."
Oct. 5: SBDC Free Webinar Helps Businesses Manage Social Media Platforms
On Saturday, November 12, 2022, the Santa Clarita Veteran Services Collaborative and Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions will host a Veteran Career Fair on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Curtiss-Wright facility.
Nov. 12: Veteran Career Fair at Curtiss-Wright in Valencia
A strong first half turned into a great start of the second half, but it ended going against Master's men's soccer team as they lost the Golden State Athletic Conference opener to Arizona Christian 3-1 Thursday in Glendale, Ariz.
GSAC Opening Win Eludes TMU Men’s Soccer