Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

June 2
1945 - Local residents vote 432-2 to approve $300,000 bond measure to build SCV's first high school [story]
Hart High

[SCV Sheriff] – Los Angeles County will activate a new drive-through, appointment-only COVID-19 testing site at College of the Canyons on Wednesday morning, April 8.

This is one of many testing sites now activated throughout the County of Los Angeles.

The testing site will be limited to first-responders and those that meet the criteria for testing.

Once it has been determined that someone meets the criteria, they will be given an appointment. This site will only take those who have been assigned an appointment.

To find out if you’re eligible for a test and to schedule an appointment at a drive-up mobile testing site in Los Angeles County, please see https://lacovidprod.service-now.com/rrs.

There has been much progress to activate testing sites and bring on labs to process the testing. This means the number of positive cases will increase. In the daily press briefings with Fifth District Supervisor Kathryn Barger and LA County Director of Public Health Dr. Barbara Ferrer, the theme has been consistent: it is now more critical than ever to stay inside, ensure social distancing, and be “Safer-at Home.”

Many are infected and may not have symptoms
Social distancing and “Safer-at-Home” are the key to protecting our community and flattening the curve.
As testing increases, so will the number of positive cases

This is the week to stay inside if at all possible.

The surge of cases is expected to increase and adherence to the Health Order will help slow the spread and allow those who are critically ill to have access to hospital beds and ICU care.

1. Jesus Quintanar says:

Hi plis i need the test for me.. considered my petition.. thank you.
    323.445.4301

2. dennis says:

From the data i have seen those test are not accurate 80% of the time they give a positive result even if your not infected and there are many reports that the test are contaminated with covid 19 because the test are from were u guessed it china.If you take that test chances u will get sick.So is it worth it HELL NO!!

3. Jacqueline says:

I need appointment please . We have been exposed to someone with covid

4. Adi Namaty says:

Not sure if I was exposed

5. nelly novoa says:

I have lupus diabetic rheumatoid arthritis.
    I would to set appt. I take care of my father who is 95 and mother 86
    Please consider my petition for an appt.

• SCVNews.com says:

Hello! We’re a media outlet, not a government agency … you want to follow the links and contact the government agency

6. Jenny Lopez says:

I am an essential worker (tax accountant) and have seen clients following guidelines and a client of mine tested positive for covid

7. Pamela Saenz says:

It’s been 6 days and no one has contacted to give me my results. What laboratory is this site sending our test to. Oth

8. H. says:

It has been 8 days since I got tested at COC and I do not have my results yet. No one has called me and no one has emailed me about my result.

9. Diana Contreras Bernal says:

I work at the District Attorney’s office in Santa Clarita and have had synthetic symptoms and went to Henry Mayo and was told they did not have enough test for me. I would like to get tested I am back to work with Law Enforcement and would like to get tested please

10. Annette Estrada says:

I had a possible contact with a positive person how do I get tested

11. Rebecca lyons says:

I am 71 yrs old, have a history of heart problems and due to RA, I am immune compromised.

12. Crosby Newvall says:

I’m a 61 year old male with heart condition, also diabetic, high blood precision and high cholesterol, I will like to see if I qualify for Covid-19 testing, please let me know if I do , thanks. Please considered my potion.

Monday, Jun 1, 2020
City Prepares for Possible Protest on Thursday
The city of Santa Clarita and the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station are aware of the planned protest on Thursday, June 4, at noon near the intersection of Valencia Boulevard and McBean Parkway.
Monday, Jun 1, 2020
Countywide 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Curfew Extended Another Night
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Kathryn Barger has extended a countywide curfew for all unincorporated and incorporated areas including the city of Santa Clarita from Monday at 6 p.m. through 6 a.m. Tuesday.
Monday, Jun 1, 2020
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: 113,006 Cases Statewide, 1,602 SCV Cases
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Monday 978 new cases of COVID-19 and 22 new deaths due to the virus countywide, and a total of 1,602 cases reported in the Santa Clarita Valley since the pandemic began, 55 more than reported Sunday.

The Valley Industry Association (VIA) is launching Breakfast Club, a member-exclusive program designed to provide a business coaching experience to working professionals delivered by industry experts and professional speakers on a wide range of topics.
VIA Launching Breakfast Club
Hart High
City Prepares for Possible Protest on Thursday
Northridge psychology professor Delinah Hurwitz is now studying the impact that excessive screen time is having on students, socially and academically, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CSUN Prof Studying Impact of Social Media on Students During Pandemic
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond responded Monday to the death of George Floyd by calling on communities across the state and nation to take action to dismantle institutional racism and inequities in public schools.
State Schools Chief Urges Action on Racism, Educational Inequities
Countywide 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Curfew Extended Another Night
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: 113,006 Cases Statewide, 1,602 SCV Cases
In his June message, Santa Clarita Mayor Cameron Smyth observes the resilience of Santa Clarita residents during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Santa Clarita Mayor Lauds Residents’ Resilience
Air quality in the Santa Clarita Valley and San Gabriel Mountains will be unhealthy Tuesday for sensitive individuals, according to the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
SCV Air Quality Unhealthy Tuesday for Sensitive People, Pets
Four Santa Clarita Valley business leaders recently thanked the heroic front-line healthcare heroes at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital by picking up the tab for a Salt Creek Grille gourmet buffet lunch for the 80 doctors, nurses and staff in the hospital’s ED and COVID unit.
Grateful Donors Deliver Gourmet Lunch to Henry Mayo Healthcare Heroes
The College of the Canyons Class of 2020 is truly unlike any other in the college’s 50-year history. They danced in their living rooms, and got hands-on nursing experience at a coronavirus testing site.
June 5: COC Class of 2020 Graduates Virtually in 50th Anniversary Year
The infection and mortality rates of one of the nursing homes I visit were close to the highest in the county. The other had zero. Why?
Nursing Home Differences | Doctor’s Diary with Dr. Gene Dorio
After months of closures during the COVID-19 pandemic, state courts in Los Angeles County were closed again Monday following a weekend of protests, looting and escalating police violence.
Protests Force Closure of Courts Across California
Governor Gavin Newsom has issued an evictions moratorium executive order extending authorization for local governments to halt evictions through July 28 for renters impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Newsom Extends State Evictions Moratorium to July 28
In his monthly message for June 2020, Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin offers an appreciation of city staff's creativity.
Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin Thankful for Staff Creativity
Health experts say they’re worried that close contact at civil rights protests around the country spurred by the death of George Floyd could lead to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Fears Over Surge in COVID-19 Cases Grow Amid Floyd Protests
1883 - Heirs of Henry Mayo Newhall incorporate The Newhall Land and Farming Co. [story]
NLF stock certificate
L.A. County Board of Supervisors Chair Kathryn Barger proclaimed a state of emergency in the county Sunday, as the sheriff sets a 6 p.m. curfew countywide to address widespread unrest following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25.
Barger Calls State of Emergency, Sheriff Sets 6 p.m.-6 a.m. Curfew Countywide
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Sunday 1,379 new cases of COVID-19 and 25 new deaths due to the virus countywide, and a total of 1,547 cases reported in the Santa Clarita Valley since the pandemic began, 89 more than Saturday.
Sunday COVID-19 Roundup: 110,583 Cases Statewide, 1,547 SCV Cases
Using diluted bleach on a cloth wipe, I clean all sinks, counters, knobs, buttons, light switches, ground phones, faucets, remote controls, keyboards, mouse and table tops. Takes me five minutes. Everyone should be doing this.
The Morning Routine | Doctor’s Diary with Dr. Gene Dorio
The governor approved L.A. city and county’s request to deploy members of the National Guard to assist Los Angeles and neighboring communities.
Newsom Calls State of Emergency in L.A. County, Deploys National Guard
1891 - Reverend F.D. Seward opens the new First Presbyterian Church in Newhall [story]
First Presbyterian Church
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Saturday 2,112 new cases of COVID-19 and 48 new deaths due to the virus countywide, and a total of 1,458 cases reported in the Santa Clarita Valley since the pandemic began, 152 more than reported Friday.
Saturday COVID-19 Roundup: 106,878 Cases Statewide, 1,458 SCV Cases
A crowd of several hundred gathered Saturday in Santa Clarita to protest police violence as part of a nationwide reaction to several high-profile deaths in recent months.
Crowds Gather in Santa Clarita to Protest Police Brutality