Sunny
Sunny

May 11
1920 - Warrant issued for actor Tom Mix to appear in Newhall Judge J.F. Powell's courtroom on reckless driving charge [story]
Tom Mix

A rollover car crash left a professional motorcycle racer dead and another person in custody early Saturday morning.

Steven Kirk, 22, has been identified as the man who was killed in the early morning crash, said Lt. David Smith of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner’s Office.

stevekirkAccording to his Facebook page, Kirk hailed from Agua Dulce and graduated from Vasquez High School. He identified himself as a professional off-road motorcycle racer and a welder at KR Fabrication in Lancaster. He was studying metal fabrication at College of the Canyons.

Saturday’s crash occurred at approximately 2:18 a.m. when a blue sedan with four passengers went off the road near Pico Canyon Road and Stevenson Ranch Parkway.

One man was arrested, and the incident is still under investigation, according to Sgt. Matt Chin of California Highway Patrol.

Alcohol is suspected to be a factor in the crash, Chin said.

(Photo courtesy of Rick McClure)

(Photo courtesy of Rick McClure)

1. Mike Richter Mike Richter says:

Praying for those hurt and lost.

• Kent Dodson Kent Dodson says:

Mike, our prayers go out to you and your family. At our men’s group this morning we prayed individually for all involved including the driver. Please keep us updated and we will continue to pray for God’s healing.

2. Prayers out for everyone ☝

3. Ruth Oro Ruth Oro says:

🙏🙏🙏🙏

4. Elena Tags Elena Tags says:

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼❤️❤️

5. Sarah Caduff Sarah Caduff says:

In my prayers 🙏🏼

6. Ryan Mcneill Ryan Mcneill says:

Don’t drink and drive

7. Prayers to the families involved.

8. Alan Duvo Alan Duvo says:

Use Uber dum dum!

9. Edwin Mendez Edwin Mendez says:

Isabel Baldwin this the car I mistaked you with but glad ur alive

10. Kari Damann Kari Damann says:

Lori Lehigh Damann

11. Dwayne Pine Dwayne Pine says:

And they want to lower the drinking age to 18….

12. Wow, right down the street! That’s awful! :(

13. Sending every Prayer I got for everyone involved

14. Doctor Worm says:

Fun facts! Sudan is a country in North Africa. A sedan is a car for four or more people.

15. Don’t people ever learn NEVER to drink and drive?? This time the drive took the life of a loved one. Very sad. 😢

16. Praying every chance I get!

17. Please remember they call a car accident an accident for a reason it’s not in on purpose! My child is one of the survivors of this accident! My families hearts and prayers go out to ALL involved💕

18. If it’s a DUI it isn’t an accident. Prayers for all involved.

19. 🙏🙏🙏, I would like to remind people that someone who was very loved passed away in this accident. Please use some common sense before you comment with stupid comments. They call it an accident for a reason. It was an accident that was not on purpose. Thought and prayers go to ALL involved!

20. That was my best friend my racing team mate and a fellow club member that past away

21. Prayers for everyone involved and their families.

22. Sad that there are so many options to choose from and people still choose to drink and drive.

23. Edward Moon Edward Moon says:

Steve Vlaszof thats narly

24. THIS WAS NOT JUST AN ACCIDENT! Choosing to drink is not an accident. Choosing to get in the car with someone who’s drunk is not an accident. If we can’t see this lesson in this tragic occurrence then how can we teach our children? Unfortunately others bad desicions can be used to teach my child how her choices can affect her and others.
    Prayers to all involved.

25. Kathy says:

Extremely sad. Praying for everyone involved and everyone affected by this.

26. 22. Damn thats way too young. So I’m confused. Was the guy who died riding with the drunk driver? Or was he in another vehicle?

27. I am so sad. He was way to young. Praying for his and everyone involved families.

28. Craig owen says:

God Speed Steven Kirk. RIPSK999x
    you will be dearly missed by all. Ride in peace.

29. Rest in peace Steven Kirk 💗 you will be missed..

30. I will always miss you brother keep racing and wrenching on your bikes

31. Susan Emrick Susan Emrick says:

Praying 💔❤️🙏

32. Very sorry for the loss. They should really do something on the DUI sentencing, manslaughter is 5 years it should be more like 15 years this is enough! Too many innocent lives taken to short!

33. Travis Smith Travis Smith says:

R.I.P thought and prayers go out to his family 🙏🏻

34. Praying for the family

35. Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

My heart goes out to Tammy and Steve Kirk Stephen was nothing but a kind and gentle man who watched my son often when Tammy was not able to you will be missed fly with the Angels 😞

36. Prayers to the 2 that are injured and hope they make a full recovery and prayers for
    The poor soul who lost his life and may he rest in peace .

37. Sorry for your loss I will be praying for the family.

38. Dan Pineau Dan Pineau says:

Prayers going out …

39. So terrible😞 sooooooo sad😢 too young☹️not fair!!!😣

40. Staci Leigh Staci Leigh says:

Kayla Soles Tony Ortiz

41. Our prayers to the family very sad for your lost…

42. Liz Hall Liz Hall says:

A mother’s worst fear. He had his life ahead of him.
    FROM A IDIOT THAT DRANK and DROVE.
    RIP sweet guy.

43. Steve and Tammy I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you two. Unfortunately, I know what your dealing with. My heartfelt prayers to you.

44. Mary Nores Mary Nores says:

Rest in Peace Steven. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

45. Tammy and Steve you are in our prayers ….RIP Steven! 👼🙏

46. Please know that Steven is our hero. My niece was in the car and he is the one that put her seatbelt on her. He saved her life and will always be in our thoughts and prayers. So very sorry for his family, there just are no words for this tragedy.

47. Unconditional love to the Kirk family. So sorry for your loss, there are no words

48. So heartbreaking. RIP

49. So heartbreaking. RIP

50. Joe Miller says:

Godspeed Steven. Moto on my friend…

51. Bob Allen Bob Allen says:

I am deeply saddened by this news. I work with Steven’s father and was talking with him just yesterday about a project they had worked on together and Steven’s welding classes. Steven also used to deliver pizza to my house when he was younger, working for the local pizza place. He was a bright and promising young man. Tragic loss.

52. I will never forget you my brother I will always remember the good times we had love you rest in peace Steven

53. Steve Kirk, I am heart broken to hear this terrible news. Steven was a good young man and I was proud to have him in my class. I am praying for your family during this difficult time.

54. Riding up there with Kurt 🏁

55. Daniel Case Daniel Case says:

Karl Miller Randy Chiasson

56. Cathy Kohl Cathy Kohl says:

We are so incredibly sad.

57. Ride in peace Steven I’m speechless.

58. Wow… So sad for the family 🙏❤️

59. Shirley Lysse says:

RIP young man. I hate anyone that drives after drinking. Too many lives taken because of these morons.

60. Jenna Stefko Jenna Stefko says:

Wat happened he passed away oh my god :(

61. RIP Steven. I loved you like a brother and always will

62. Our hearts go out to the family💕

63. Gone to soon! Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends!🙏🏻

64. Anonymous says:

Sad

65. Pam Basil Pam Basil says:

Sending love & prayers to the Kirk family.

66. Absolutely unbelievable. My heart and prayers to the Kirk family.

67. Greg Brown Greg Brown says:

Steven Kirk III. REST IN PEACE. God bless the Kirk family and friends. 🏁🏁🏁

68. The family has started a gofundme page in Steven’s honor. http://www.gofundme.com/4jkbrzxw

69. Ken rohrer says:

Steven Kirk was an employee at my business KR Fab. I knew Steven ever since he was a youngster as his father and mother were family friends. He was a great kid with a bright future. Talented, funny, and outgoing. Truly a great loss . Hopefully this event will prevent others his age of making poor desisions. We all have made poor decisions in our lives without thinking that it could affect others. I will miss Steven and my prayers and sympathy go out to everyone involved .

70. I am so sorry for your loss. and I am coming up on the 1st anniversary of one of my son.
    My grandson suggested I contact this site as he has many good motorcycle riding clothes, leather mostly which I would like to donate in his name Please contact me if this is viable.
    Nic is a current pro rider and very active in off road racing and Big 6 racing.
    Again so sorry for your loss.
    Mary Cunningham @marynoritake@yahoo.com Contact me if you do connect with young potential riders who may need gear. Thank you!

Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Animal Care & Control Reminds Pet Owners to Prepare for Wildfire Season
With summer and warmer temperatures around the corner, the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control reminds all pet owners to prepare for wildfire season.
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Barger Recognizes Two Santa Clarita Valley Deputies
Two deputies that work closely with the Santa Clarita Valley community were recognized by Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger during a ceremony at the SCV Sheriff’s Station on Monday.
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
One Suspect Taken Into Custody for Reportedly Shooting Deputies With Pellet Gun
One person has been taken into custody on suspicion of firing upon sheriff’s deputies with a pellet gun in Canyon Country on Monday.

Animal Care & Control Reminds Pet Owners to Prepare for Wildfire Season
Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley invites you to the 49th Annual Benefit Auction, Bubbles and Bids.
June 5: Virtual Bubbles and Bids Auction Benefiting Boys & Girls Club SCV
Barger Recognizes Two Santa Clarita Valley Deputies
One Suspect Taken Into Custody for Reportedly Shooting Deputies With Pellet Gun
Tom Mix
On Monday, Los Angeles County Public Health officials confirmed four new deaths and 179 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 27,798 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: County Reaches 24,000 Deaths; SCV Cases Total 27,798
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has reported 10 productions filming in the Santa Clarita Valley aka "Hollywood North" the week of Monday, May 10-16, 2021.
Filming This Week in SCV: ‘Good Trouble,’ ‘For All Mankind,’ ‘The Terminal List,’ 5 More Productions
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized emergency use of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 12-15 Monday.
Children Age 12-15 OK’ed for COVID-19 Vaccine
Starting Wednesday, May 12, 2021, eligible households will be able to enroll in the Emergency Broadband Benefit program which sets out to help households struggling to pay for internet service during the pandemic.
May 12: Enrollment for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program Opens this Week
The Tom & Ethel Bradley Center at California State University, Northridge has received a $350,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) to digitize some of the approximately 22,000 images in its Farmworker Movement Collection that tell the story and document efforts to unionize farmworkers in the 1960s and early 1970s.
CSUN Receives NEH Grant to Digitize its Farmworker Movement Collection
Saugus Union School District board members discussed a back-to-school update for the 2021-22 school year during the regular board meeting Wednesday.
SUSD Discusses Full-Time Instruction, Distance Learning for Next Year
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor has announced plans to reopen on Saturday, with a number of COVID-19 safety measures in place.
Hurricane Harbor Plans to Reopen May 15
Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday he’d be expanding the state’s economic stimulus program to middle-income families that make up to $75,000.
Newsom Expands State Stimulus Program, Unveils $100 Billion Recovery Plan
Warmer weather and winds are set to return to the Santa Clarita Valley Tuesday, bringing with them elevated fire weather conditions.
Winds Set to Bring Elevated Fire Weather to SCV
America’s Job Center of California announced it will host a job recruitment on Thursday, May 13 for various positions for Aerotek in Palmdale, Santa Clarita, and Lancaster.
America’s Job Center to Hold Virtual Job Recruitment for Aerotek
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Missing Persons Unit investigators are asking for the public’s help locating At-Risk Missing Person Christopher William Conrad.
Investigators Seek Help Locating At-Risk Missing Person Christopher ‘Chris’ Conrad
1877 - Newhall School District formed, upon petition of J.F. Powell and 47 others [story]
Newhall School kids
1990 - Gene Autry's elderly horse, Champion, put to sleep; buried at Melody Ranch [story]
Champion
1875 - John F. Powell, an Irish immigrant, becomes Justice of the Peace [story]
John F. Powell
Sen. Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, announced the introduction of Senate Joint Resolution 5, urging the federal government to immediately pass a correction to the Social Security formula to protect benefits for millions of Americans who turned 60 during the pandemic.
Wilk Introduces Resolution Urging Congress to Amend the Social Security Average Wage Index
The Santa Clarita City Council will consider allocating a little over $3.5 million in federal funding intended to support low- and moderate-income residents with decent and affordable housing and economic opportunities.
City Council to Consider Federal Funds in Support of Future Local Affordable Housing
The owners of Maria’s Italian Deli in Newhall, past and present, celebrated the restaurant’s reopening Wednesday, following last year’s announcement it would be closing its doors after 47 years.
Maria’s Italian Deli Celebrates Reopening Under New Owners
After publicly expressing their support for hosting live graduations earlier this year, William S. Hart Union High School District officials outlined their proposed plans for the Class of 2021 ceremonies during their Wednesday night governing board meeting.
Hart District Outlines Plans for Live Graduations
After plans fell through for a $100 million mall expansion that would have brought a second Costco to the Santa Clarita Valley, representatives from the big box retailer reached out to city officials to see if they could still make a second location a reality.
Costco Still Seeks Second Location in SCV