Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

May 23
1941 - SCV's first real movie house, the American Theater, dedicated in Newhall [story]
American Theater

logo_pills_drugsSanta Clarita Valley is on pace to see double the drug overdoes from 2014 if the current pace continues, according to Sheriff’s Station officials.

This year, there have been three confirmed drug overdoses and four more pending confirmation from the Coroner’s Office, Wachsmuth said. Last year there were five total.

One of the main hazards when it comes to drugs and alcohol is when people who are intoxicated get behind the wheel, Wachsmuth said.

Wachsmuth is a part of the J-Team, or the juvenile intervention team, which specializes in dealing with drug related crime and drug intervention in the Santa Clarita Valley.

In 2014, there were 290 DUI arrests made by Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies alone, said Sgt. Rich Cohen of the station’s Traffic Unit.

“Alcohol is the oldest drug around,” said Cary Quashen of Action Family Counseling in Valencia. “But it’s also the deadliest.”

The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $59 billion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Another issue relating to drug and alcohol abuse is when drug and alcohol users, especially younger users is that they, “lack productivity,” Wachsmuth said.

“Their grades are almost always D’s and F’s,” Wachsmuth said, “and they are predominantly marijuana users.”

“Many older drug users that do meth and heroin are convicted of thefts,” Wachsmuth said. “They reach a point where they can’t work anymore, and some end up shoplifting.”

When it comes to determining whether or not the deceased died from an accidental overdose versus a suicide, the coroner looks at a number of factors.

The body is tested to see if there were narcotics in the system at the time of death, and the past behavior exhibited by the deceased.

Santa Clarita does not have more of a drug problem than anywhere else, Wachsmuth explained, Santa Clarita just doesn’t try to hide it.

“We talk about the drug problems here,” Wachsmuth said, “other cities turn their backs on it,”

Connecting, and discussing drugs and alcohol with kids is extremely important, according to Quashen.

“We need to pay attention to our kids,” Quashen said, “and not be in denial about drugs.”

1. Uh oh here is another article to bring out all the scv haters. Just waiting to see the “what happened to awesome town?” comments lol

2. Let’s build a rehab in the SCV.. For teens and adults, where people can go to get help and feel safe.. Just saying

• There is one its on bouquet…

• There is one its on bouquet…

• One on Soledad too. Doesn’t mean people will use them.

• One on Soledad too. Doesn’t mean people will use them.

• People do use the rehabs. Part of the problem is that SCV makes it next to impossible to keep there doors open the other part is cost it’s not cheep to go to treatment in SCV. SCV has only recently started talking about the drug problem there’s an image to uphold in “awesome town” all the while kids are dying.

• Yes Brian people do use them. Cause they want to and want to change. And the cost per class is hundreds which is crazy for someone seeking help. Totally agree with u.

• So sad. I agree with you Brian Mcknight and Miki Bivens-Runyan. Valencia has the highest use of cocaine and meth and yet no one talks about it. Awesome Town is only awesome if people help each other and get real.

• Ray Smith Ray Smith says:

It would be nice if our city would actually support having programs and sober livings out here. “They” say that they want to help but, truth is, “They” have the “not in my city” mentality.

• Kory Abel Kory Abel says:

They need to separate Marijuana from actual drugs. In case anyone didn’t know it’s next to impossible to overdose from thc the main molecule in cannabis. Heroin however is a problem its deadly as it is addicting making it easy to overdose. A cop once told me cocaine is safer than Marijuana. If cops think that they need to be fired on the spot cocaine, meth, heroin and benzos are the worst drugs to hit mankind and they’re all “invented.” Poppy being an exception it’s mostly natural but so is sugar and caffeine but there’s still more deaths per year than Marijuana

3. Sadly the primary treatment facility in our community relies on archaic therapeutic interventions, like so-called “tough love” proven to increase shame and increase the likelihood of relapse.

4. Dave Lee Dave Lee says:

The problem is the new drug laws that don’t allow arrests.

5. Sad truth. And that graphic is pretty awful.

6. Sad truth. And that graphic is pretty awful.

7. Lau Keyzer Lau Keyzer says:

Alot more issues in luxury Santa Barbara than here.

8. Lau Keyzer Lau Keyzer says:

Alot more issues in luxury Santa Barbara than here.

9. Laura Oswald Dangelo wth

10. Laura Oswald Dangelo wth

11. ” What happened to awesome town”

12. ” What happened to awesome town”

13. And we supposably have the safest town..clearly someone is lying..we have lost so many and all Santa Clarita care about is street beatifiaction ..its a joke

14. And we supposably have the safest town..clearly someone is lying..we have lost so many and all Santa Clarita care about is street beatifiaction ..its a joke

• Crime statistics which is what you are referring to when you say “safe” has nothing to do with drug over doses

• U cannot have a safe city when its drug problem is #1 in almost the whole country ..it contradicts itself.. Drugs cause crime..people become desperate to get there drugs and that desperation can lead to robbery and murder…that a common cycle..its not to say I don’t love Santa Clarita..however it does make a family with children second guess raising them here with a tremendous growing drug proplem

• Thank you Carri, I was waiting for the SCV bashing to start.

• By the way stating an opinion as fact doesn’t make it true. We by far do not have the worst drug problem in the county, state, or country. We live in a statistically safe city. You can bash SCV all you want, but I don’t see you leaving it to live in San Fernando, Compton, or Inglewood. I’m sure it is much safer there with there low drug and crime rate. I have a family and they live here and go to 2 of the best schools in SCV. I have Lived here my entire life and I have never felt unsafe. The worst parts of this town still feel safer than some upper class areas in the valley.

• I’m from the valley..thanks..and watch the dateline episode about santa Clarita having the #1 heroin problem in the country..an d just so we are really clear my husband has lost 6 or 7 friends in the past 2 years to drug overdose or crime of drugs so maybe ur facts should get straight..just saying..I don’t bash anything ..

• Show me proof where SCV has the number one drug problem in “almost the whole county”. I’ll wait. You can’t just make things up and pass them off as fact. Go ahead. Proof please

• Stating that SCV has the number one drug problem in the country is absolutely absurd. At first I thought you said County which is absurd enough but #1 in the country? Give me a break

• Just Google it..it was on the news in 2014.. There was a big article on one of the big news stations..my whole family watched it….I’m not bashing I’m not looking for an argument..this valley has changed a lot in 20 years..yes it does have great schools but that was not what was being discussed.. I’m sorry if reality is hard to swallow for some..I didn’t write the articles on scv..all I know is from personal experience.. My point was that all the drug use is a huge problem here and it frustrates the hell out of me that the city is so worried about its streets being beautiful instead of worrying about a serious outbreak of drugs overall..we have had terrible murders recently some drug related some not..but I do believe they go hand in hand..and will progressively get worse..if any one reads this and can confirm the show about scv and there heroin problem that aired on I believe NBC ..please co firm this since I’m being challenged..

• I googled it and here’s what I found:
      SCV is not mentioned.

And then I found what I think you are referring to in this news article. Again, not #1 in any way, county or state, but an alarming increase in OD deaths in 2012.

Not to say that this increase isn’t alarming and tragic and in so many ways this valley needs more rehab and mental illness support and intervention. Unfortunately, tax dollars go most often to programs with matching state or federal funds and mental health/addiction programs have been cut to the bone. Residents complain about ugly roads and lack of green space/recreation areas. They don’t complain about somebody’s kid or a homeless person who committed suicide or OD’d. City Hall listens to the complaints and spends money accordingly. So private programs have to pick up the slack, sometimes at great cost to those in need of their services.

• Kory Abel Kory Abel says:

Carri Sheldon Please Don’t Lie On The Internet Anymore Obviously You Made up Your “facts” Sincerely Another Facebook User

• I cannot believe that not one of u watched the article..a Lil disturbing that u talk so highly but clearly you would have watched such a disturbing show on ur own city and to just claim someone is lying is just plain childish ..I’m done with all the bad mouthing and criticism ..

15. Action Family counseling is a wonderful place to seek help for addiction I’ll Google the number and post it.

16. Action Family counseling is a wonderful place to seek help for addiction I’ll Google the number and post it.

17. Mom and dad are at work all the time. kids are home alone. parents just give kids money to pacify them because they’re never home. Kids get bored use the money for drugs. parents hear that kids in the schools and their neighborhood are using drugs. Parents have the my kids don’t do that attitude and close their eyes.

18. Mom and dad are at work all the time. kids are home alone. parents just give kids money to pacify them because they’re never home. Kids get bored use the money for drugs. parents hear that kids in the schools and their neighborhood are using drugs. Parents have the my kids don’t do that attitude and close their eyes.

19. Open your eyes people….. We have a serious drug addiction problem in SCV.

20. Open your eyes people….. We have a serious drug addiction problem in SCV.

21. Cathy Cotton Cathy Cotton says:

Raised 3 kids in SCV and the truth be told. Kids say they have nothing to do as a teen..so they turn to drugs. I’ve never understood that, but it’s fact.

22. Cathy Cotton Cathy Cotton says:

• Rob Cannon Rob Cannon says:

Nothin to do? Really

• Lots to do, but the kids don’t want to volunteer in the community or look for substantial things to do. They just want entertainment.

• My kids played outside games like basketball, hide and seek, ding dong ditch too. Washed cars in the neighborhood for fun money.Inside they cleaned their room, set the table for dinner, help with yard work on the weekend.etc. We took them camping and to local football games. They were not interested in drugs, or bored. It’s called parenting and investing time in your kids, but then I was a stay at home mom on a tight budget!

23. Cathy Cotton Cathy Cotton says:

Don’t leave out Heroin.

24. Must have to agree with James parents need to be more involved with there kids asking them questions keep them in activities get to know there friends parents and so on.Yes there is a heroin problem in the SCV also.

25. Jay Smottob Jay Smottob says:

SCV LOADED with dope and pill heads.

26. Fern Dubs Fern Dubs says:

Some many od’s cuz scv is so boring ..

27. There is lots to do. My older kids complain too. They just want to be constantly entertained or they get “bored”.

The city has lots of volunteer opportunities. There are lots of people that could use their time and energy.

28. The problem is no time invested in your kids. Before you object to that reality, look at the size of your TV, age of your cars,house sq. footage, hair do, nails, and everything you use to justify not raising your kids and then throwing your hands up when the overdose on drugs! You reap what you sow!

29. Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

Double income families. Shove a lot of money at the kids and don’t discipline them. Most of these kids have anxiety issues in this town. Why? Because they have nothing to work for or fight for.

30. Rick Dodger Rick Dodger says:

Only in awesometown

31. So 7 is the all time high? Hell I think the city should be grateful compared to other cities.. Good job for being safe out there!!

32. Yo eh vivido en Santa clarita y Palmdale no creo que Palmdale sea peor porque luego luego critican una ciudad? Santa clarita es muy segura pero eso no quita que las encuestas digan la verdad

33. Yo eh vivido en Santa clarita y Palmdale no creo que Palmdale sea peor porque luego luego critican una ciudad? Santa clarita es muy segura pero eso no quita que las encuestas digan la verdad

34. Raul Soriano Raul Soriano says:

I personally have chosen the gym as a way to get away from it all. It has worked for me.

35. Shirley says:

This problem is worldwide, not just in Santa Clarita. It’s really scary. Thank God my son has no interest in any of that crap.

36. SCV_Lawyer says:

I practice criminal law and have handled many, many drug cases of all types. The passage of Prop. 47 has really put a dent in the ability to get people treatment. Essentially, now, it is malpractice not to take a misdemeanor plea and place your client on summary probation. With DEJ and Prop. 36, people had the opportunity to get better and the court hovered over their progress.

There is cartel activity in Santa Clarita. Without being too specific, a house on Garza in Saugus was used a location related to a wider investigation that netted over 100 pounds of black tar heroin and several million in narco related cash that was being couriered. This was run by another law enforcement agency. The investigation regarded the Sinaloa Cartel.

However, the immediate source for heroin distribution in the area is right over the hill. He used to operate off of Roxford and the 5 in front of the Denny’s.

This activity is not a victimless crime. However, the criminal dispositions for drug running essentially make it profitable for anyone willing to take the risks – both legal and personal.

Based on my experience, I feel that our law enforcement is overwhelmed by this issue. Further, the lack of punishment affects morale and the willingness to put hard work into an investigation – only to watch it dissipate into nothing. We have the right to protect our children and communities from this. While I cannot openly advocate a vigilante response, we have to do what we have to do to keep these animals from killing our kids.

37. I really hope something is done about this, I’ve seen my whole state of Ohio get involved with this crap and it’s ruined thousands of family and friends lives. Santa Clarita is supposed to be a safe place to live!

38. so many alarmists in this city lol. 7 people dying due to drug overdose witht he rise in population should be expected if you know how things work. just saying

Sunday, May 22, 2022
May 24: City Council Meets to Authorize Garbage Collection Fee Increase
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a regular meeting Tuesday, May 24, beginning with a special/closed session at 5 p.m., followed immediately by open session at 6 p.m.
Friday, May 20, 2022
May 22: Vigil of Prayer and Lament for a Hurting World at St. Stephen’s
Feeling the need to act, members of the Santa Clarita Human Relations Roundtable, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Congregation Beth Shalom, NAACP Santa Clarita, Higher Vision Church and the Islamic Center of Santa Clarita Valley decided to gather with community members to mark and reflect on the May 14 shooting in Buffalo, N.Y.
Friday, May 20, 2022
Friday COVID Roundup: L.A. County Public Transit Masking Requirement is Extended
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 10 new deaths throughout L.A. County and 3,180 new cases countywide.

American Theater
May 24: City Council Meets to Authorize Garbage Collection Fee Increase
1865 - Discoverer Ramon Perea and partner sell Pico Canyon oil claim to Edward Beale & Robert Baker for $300 [story]
grave marker
1978 - St. Francis Dam site becomes a State Landmark [story]
state landmark dedication
With school ending and summer break just around the corner, the Santa Clarita Public Library has everything you need to keep your family busy and engaged with reading, crafts and outdoor programs.
Read Beyond the Beaten Path This Summer
May 22: Vigil of Prayer and Lament for a Hurting World at St. Stephen’s
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is working with state and national partners on an international outbreak of monkeypox. On May 19 the Centers for Disease Control confirmed a case of monkeypox in the United States in Massachusetts.
L.A. County Public Health Reports International Outbreak of Monkeypox
The father/son legacy continues after 40 years at Valley Institute of Prosthetics and Orthotics established in 1982. The company serves the Central Valley and the Santa Clarita Valley with the highest quality orthotic and prosthetic devices for patients to regain functionality.
VIPO Prosthetic and Orthotic Company Celebrates 40 Years
The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control is aware of the public’s desire to visit our animal care centers without an appointment. In response Animal Care and Control is adopting new public visitation hours for unscheduled visits just in time for National Pet Adoption Weekend, May 20-22.
Castaic Animal Care Center Offers Walk-in Visits in Time for National Adoption Weekend
Join the fun this summer and sign up for a class at Los Angeles county Parks. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to learn something new, make new friends and discover new talents.
May 30: In-person, Virtual Summer Classes Begin at L.A. County Parks
In my early 20s I worked on a sheep farm in southern Illinois. The farm had about 1,000 sheep and two Great Pyrenees dogs to protect them.
Marcia Mayeda | Does Your Dog Act Its Breed?
The California Air Resources Board will host an open house of its new state-of-the-art “green” Southern California Headquarters, the Mary D. Nichols Campus, in Riverside on Saturday, May 21.
May 21: California Air Resources Hosts Open House for New SoCal Headquarters
College of the Canyons had three Women's Softball players spotlighted by the California Community College Fastpitch Coaches Association with Ashlynn Heck, Allyson Melgar and Lisa Motz selected to the All-Southern California Team.
Cougars Softball Heck, Melgar, Motz Earn All-Southern California Honors
Los Angeles County is hosting the first in-person Homeowners' Resource Fair for the public since the pandemic hit two years ago. The event will be held Saturday, May 21 9 a.m. to noon at the Huntington Park Community Center, 6925 Salt Lake Ave., Huntington Park, CA 90255.
May 21: 2022 L.A. County Homeowners’ Resource Fair
1946 - Cher, great-granddaughter of Placerita Canyon homesteader Frank Walker and onetime Placerita property owner, born in El Centro, Calif. [story]
Cher and grandma
The California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section announced its All-Foothill League teams representing the Santa Clarita Valley.
All CIF-SS Foothill League Spring Sports Teams Announced
Free business training webinars are available from the College of the Canyons Small Business Development Corporation. The SBDC is the Small Business Administration's largest service program and provides high quality business and economic development assistance to small businesses and entrepreneurs. It provides no-cost business advising and low-cost training to existing and new businesses.
May 25: COC SBDC Hosting Free Webinars to Help Grow Your Business
The city of Santa Clarita has released a list of arts-related events happening in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Santa Clarita Arts Calendar: Civic Art RFQ, Call for Textile Fiber Art, more
Charlotte Kaup Kleeman, 1996 Santa Clarita Valley Woman of the Year, died Thursday, May 19, 2022 in Valencia. She was 85.
Longtime Community Leader Charlotte Kleeman Dies at 85
After a more than a two-year wait, the Free to Be Me Music Festival will make its much-anticipated debut at the Canyon Country Community Center, located at 18410 Sierra Highway, on Sunday, June 12, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
City’s Long-Awaited ‘Free to Be Me’ Music Festival Debuting June 12
The 37th Women in Service Celebration was hosted by the Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley on Saturday, May 14. The event honored 19 women who have worked tirelessly to improve the lives of women and girls in the SCV. The honorees were nominated by SCV nonprofits.
Zonta SCV Names Alison Lindemann Recipient of Carmen Sarro Award
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday nine additional deaths and 4,725 new positive cases countywide, with 164 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday COVID Roundup: 164 New SCV Cases, 4,725 New Cases Countywide
The Fil-Am Association of Santa Clarita Valley will host the "A Black Tie Gala" on July 23 at 7 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Valencia, located at 24500 Town Center Drive.
July 23: SCV Fil-Am Association Hosts Black Tie Gala