The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board recognized its 16 Teachers of the Year for the 2018/19 school year Wednesday.
The District Teacher of the Year is Erica Hardbarger, a science teacher from Hart High School who was promoted before the start of the school year to the District Office as the science teacher on special assignment.
The Los Angeles County Office of Education honored Hardbarger on Sept. 14 as one of 60 Teachers of the Year in the county.
The Hart School District Teachers of the Year honored Wednesday night were:
* Wayne Shapiro, English, Academy of the Canyons
* Rebekah West, Choir/Drama, Arroyo Seco
* Stacey Killinger, Government/Psychology, Bowman
* Dennis Young, AP Environmental Science/Biology, Canyon
* Marianella Lora, English as Second Language, Golden Oak Adult School
* Eric Harris, History, Golden Valley
* Erica Hardbarger, Biology/AP Biology, Hart
Jennifer Putt, English, La Mesa
* Eric Olsson, Physical Education, Placerita
* Kristine Spector, Science, Rancho Pico
* Melinda Moore, Culinary Arts, Rio Norte
* B.J. Layton, Mathematics, Saugus
* Andrew Rashkin, Special Education/Science, Sequoia
* Nicole Terranova, Science, Sierra Vista
* Sarah E. Ford. English/EL, Valencia
* Darcy Rojas, Social Studies, West Ranch
Selection criteria included personal growth, commitment, personal attributes and professional skills.
The California Teacher of the Year program, which began in 1972, has brought recognition to exemplary teachers, paying tribute to their resolute efforts.
With the District’s many outstanding teachers, the staff takes pride in identifying and honoring its own heroes of Hart District classrooms.